PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona extends F1 deal until 2016

ioan
12th May 2007, 12:59
It was announced today by none else that B. Ecclestone.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58739

So Italy, Germany, Japan can't have 2 but Spain can! :rolleyes:

Valve Bounce
12th May 2007, 13:06
It was announced today by none else that B. Ecclestone.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58739

Maybe Barcelona is in a different region in Spain than Spain, if you know what I mean. :p :
They could call it the Catalunya GP

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:07
Maybe Barcelona is in a different region in Spain than Spain, if you know what I mean. :p :

Might be that you're right! ;)

Daika
12th May 2007, 13:10
Little bit confused with all the new GP's being added. How many races a season?

ShiftingGears
12th May 2007, 13:10
Astonishing isn't it. Although, in fairness, the butchered Hockenheim no longer drew the crowds at least partly due to the fact that it is no longer a unique racing circuit.

Suzuka better make a return to the F1 calendar.

donKey jote
12th May 2007, 13:51

Spain is different :D :dozey:

donKey jote
12th May 2007, 13:53
They could call it the Catalunya GP
I doubt that would go down too well if the PP win the elections ;) :p :

One of them will be the "European GP"

Dave B
12th May 2007, 15:41
I would imagine that this move is to cash in on the "Alonso factor", and that both Barcelona and Valencia have get-out clauses in their contracts - firmly on Bernie's side of course.

andreag
12th May 2007, 17:08
I would imagine that this move is to cash in on the "Alonso factor", and that both Barcelona and Valencia have get-out clauses in their contracts - firmly on Bernie's side of course.
Maybe is just for 66.000 people attending Friday practice, over 100.000 on Saturday, and 145.000 on Sunday. Maybe the constant renewal of installations can have some importance. Maybe the facilities the track is giving to all FIA demands. Maybe because all spectators can be accomodated at a short distance from the track (enough hotels in less than 30 minutes). Maybe because of the transportation facilities (trains to the circuit every 6 minutes). Maybe because no other track in Europe can be used so often for testing with the weather conditions the teams will find during the championship.

If they just improve overtaking chances.....

But I think new Valencia semi-urban circuit will allow it (overtaking) for sure.

VkmSpouge
12th May 2007, 17:16
Damn, I was really hoping they'd bump Barcelona off too. Oh well maybe these new track modifications will actually make the racing more exciting for the next 9 years.

Priorat
13th May 2007, 11:30

Bernie is already preparing for the Hamilton factor as it is plenty of cheap flys and accomodation for British supporters to come.

Once Alonso stops to win, his supporters will stop filling the Circuit.

Ranger
13th May 2007, 11:56
Once Alonso stops to win, his supporters will stop filling the Circuit.

Tell me... how soon do you think that will be??

Priorat
13th May 2007, 12:02
Tell me... how soon do you think that will be??

Hope today

wedge
13th May 2007, 15:39
Great, another 8 more races to go... :rolleyes:

Astonishing isn't it. Although, in fairness, the butchered Hockenheim no longer drew the crowds at least partly due to the fact that it is no longer a unique racing circuit.

Despite many people's prejudiced views on Tilke, Hockeheim has still been a popular circuit. The both DTM races have always been a sell out. The racing has been consistantly good regardless if its F1 or F3.

There's only so much much money the promoters and the paying public are willing to pay Bernie just to have 2 races in Germany.

No doubt, if Bernie is still around in ten years' time and continues with his same old ways, Spain will have the same problems as Germany has.

fandango
13th May 2007, 23:54
Damn, I was really hoping they'd bump Barcelona off too. Oh well maybe these new track modifications will actually make the racing more exciting for the next 9 years.

I see your point. I live 20 minutes drive from the circuit and I gave up going a few years ago due to rising ticket prices and processional races. I thought I'd show them, but then Alonso appeared ...

AndyRAC
15th May 2007, 10:52
Can't they re-do the circuit, I didn't think the changes were worth the effort.

call_me_andrew
16th May 2007, 06:34

France can't have one.

Ranger
16th May 2007, 06:57
France can't have one.

But in France's case, F1's administrative head honcho's had nothing to do with the lack of a French race in 2008.

ShiftingGears
16th May 2007, 07:28
Since Magny Cours is forgettable and Paul Ricard has no spectator seating, I think the French Grand Prix should go back to Reims, Rouen-le-Essarts or Clermont Ferrand :p :