PDA

View Full Version : Fastest drivers of all time!

Nitrodaze
19th August 2020, 00:13
F1, using a new algorithm, attempts to rank F1 drivers to determine the fastest F1 drivers of all time. While it appears foolhardy, it is interesting to say the least. To accomplish this feat, the algorithm would need to equalize the cars from different eras, the climatic conditions and the track conditions to ensure each of these drivers are operating under exactly the same competitive conditions. All of these, are to be based on existing data from the teams over the years.

The margin of error has not been published but one can guess that it could be as high as 20%, considering drivers from the pre-computing eras would not be adequately modelled in this study. Given these facts, F1 has published that Ayrton Senna is the fastest ever, followed by Michael Schumacher and then Lewis Hamilton. Considering the hybrid cars has broken most of the track records, it makes one wonder if the algorithm has got this one right.

I am usually very skeptical of these sort of studies, but l would love to see what the criteria of the data was and how they were able to bring the cars and the various conditions to the same level to be able to make this determination.

Firstgear
19th August 2020, 20:27
From the one article that I read, although it's called the fastest of all time, it only goes back as far as 1983. The data they are using is comparing qualy lap times against teammates. So Hamilton coming in at #3 is pretty amazing as he's always had very good teammates.

Nitrodaze
20th August 2020, 00:59
From the one article that I read, although it's called the fastest of all time, it only goes back as far as 1983. The data they are using is comparing qualy lap times against teammates. So Hamilton coming in at #3 is pretty amazing as he's always had very good teammates.

Calling it "The fastest of all time" is the issue. They have to factor in all drivers through the ages to be able to say that. And it is not equivalent to base it on teamates either. Particularly since it is impossible to ensure the callibre of the teamates are the same across all the drivers listed in the top ten. Verstapenn ranks 4th with teammates struggling in the second poorly setup redbull car. How is that remotely equivalent to the calibre of competition that Senna or Hamilton has endured from their teammates. Think Senna versus Prost, Senna Vs Mansell, Prost versus Lauda, Hamilton versus Rosberg or Hamilton versus Alonso. Even Vettel versus Webber.

Unfortunately, it is not a very representative study. Where is Fangio or Stewart or Prost?

SteveF1
20th August 2020, 14:49
They can keep their algorithm, for me it was Jim Clark, simple as that.

The Black Knight
20th August 2020, 15:55
A pointless exercise. There are too many variable to possibly evaluate who was the quickest. The only way to really know is to put them all in the same car which can never happen now.

N. Jones
20th August 2020, 22:40
I agree - a pointless exercise just to stir up the fans. I don't really care about that.

Jag_Warrior
27th August 2020, 16:09
More grid girls. Fewer algorithms. :bounce:

OK. OK. I'm going. I'm going. No need to shove me. :D

Nitrodaze
28th August 2020, 08:04
More grid girls. Fewer algorithms. :bounce:

OK. OK. I'm going. I'm going. No need to shove me. :D

Amen to that

Storm
1st September 2020, 11:42

Yes fastest from 83 onwards as data before that is sketchy ...
silly list made by AI/Machine Learning nerds to make themselves feel good.

Storm
1st September 2020, 11:43
I agree - a pointless exercise just to stir up the fans. I don't really care about that.

pretty much like those FIFA created best XI of the tournament/season teams...