PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Johnson Sprint ad

colinspooky
12th May 2007, 03:03
Seen it? The one where Jimmie is approached by Sadler offering advice on a corner, and Johnson cuts him short, gets on his phone and summons a flunky to stand next to him with his Nextel trophy and then pretends he hadn't heard a word.

Now I like Jimmie. BUT...........

What on earth were Johnson's people thinking when they agreed to do the ad.

The look on Sadler's face is classic - he looks at Johnson at if he is a complete tossa. Which is exactly how he comes across. It's not funny and makes your want smack Johnson for being so crassly arrogant.

:confused:

blakebeatty
12th May 2007, 03:32
it was humorous. and if you have ever heard Jimmie speak, you would realize that he is one of the most humble/passive drivers in the sport.

colinspooky
12th May 2007, 03:48
quite - so why do something that makes you look like a comlete twat

e2mtt
12th May 2007, 04:37
It is a stupid ad - I don't like it at all. Doesn't make Jimmie funny in a good way, make sme switch channels.

On the other hand, I think the "magic" one with Jamie McMurray & Kasey Kahne is hilarious.

Sparky1329
12th May 2007, 04:58
That Nextel ad makes JJ lok like a smarta$$. The digusted look on Elliott's face says it all.

call_me_andrew
12th May 2007, 04:59
quite - so why do something that makes you look like a comlete twat

Maybe it's because he likes to get paid.

blakebeatty
12th May 2007, 05:16
i think that you are reading too much into this...

i should also take this time to tell you that Tony does not actually tell drivers what building supplies they need to repair the track as they crash, nor do mutant desert people chase Earnhardt (as he drives his race car on the highway) under the assumption that he has free budweiser beer to give away.

Jonesi
12th May 2007, 09:23
This is the same series of ads that last year had Tony tell his truck driver to back into a competitors car.

With Nextel putting +$60mil a year into the Cup series, if they ask you to be in their commerial, you kind of have to.

Hoss Ghoul
12th May 2007, 10:08
Damn, ads are slow to get to the UK, that thing is at least 6 months if not a year old in the U.S. There's a theme going with Nextel ads like that, they're actually kind of boring/crappy ads, I can remember that one and one with Stewart...nothing like the old "How Bad Have You Got It?" Ads.

The best NASCAR ads right now are the Geico ones with the kid and Mike Wallace, that stuff is funny.

colinspooky
12th May 2007, 10:48
Yep I hear it all. The ad is not shown at all in the UK - I have seen it online, so the only one slow is me for finally mentioning it.

Yes, I know they are obliged to do ads, no probs with that. But as many above say, this just makes Jimmie look like an arrogant prig, which of course he's not (much). So Andrew, he must has some control over doing an ad that makes him look so bad. Or they could have done it so it was funny. They failed on both counts miserably.

Yes, Elliott's face says it all, and now I cheer when he does well. Seems like a good guy.

I think everyone is aware Tony doesn't actually run a Home Depot store.

Not see the Khane ad you talk of.

And why has the main "crazy desert mutant people" have such a forced English accent. We don't all look like that, although checking the terraces of some UK football clubs on any given Saturday, some may beg to differ.

Hoss Ghoul
12th May 2007, 11:23
And why has the main "crazy desert mutant people" have such a forced English accent. We don't all look like that, although checking the terraces of some UK football clubs on any given Saturday, some may beg to differ.

It is supposed to be Australian no doubt...the whole thing is a Mad Max rip-off.

RaceFanStan
12th May 2007, 19:43
I like the commercial where Ned Jarrett tries to take Dale Jarrett's big truck for a test drive. :laugh:

Jimmie Johnson looks like an ass in the trophy commercial & probably in charactor for him. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

RaceFanStan
12th May 2007, 19:48
..... mutant desert people chase Earnhardt (as he drives his race car on the highway)
under the assumption that he has free budweiser beer to give away.
That trunk would hold at least 10 cases, they have to check ..... http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

MD24
12th May 2007, 21:10
I like the JJ commercial and the Jamie McMurray/Kasey Kahne one

Haven't seen the Mark Martin/Carl Edwards commercial in a while "crazy old man" :D

harvick#1
12th May 2007, 21:23
The Tony Stewart/Sunoco commercial was funny in the supermarket, the only one I enjoy of many of Nascar's crappy commercials

Jonesi
12th May 2007, 21:52
I like the JJ commercial and the Jamie McMurray/Kasey Kahne one

Haven't seen the Mark Martin/Carl Edwards commercial in a while "crazy old man" :D

You won't see that one again, Martin was in Roush "AAA" sponsor uniform.

e2mtt
12th May 2007, 23:57
here is the "magic" ad, if you'd like to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAKkuBR7g4

The Tony Stewart in the supermarket ad was kinda funny.

GARYGAZZA
13th May 2007, 00:52
I like the commercial where Ned Jarrett tries to take Dale Jarrett's big truck for a test drive. :laugh:

Jimmie Johnson looks like an ass in the trophy commercial & probably in charactor for him. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
Yes I like that one too.The one I really hate is the Casey Khane one with the 3 dreamy girls.
How often do they play these ads on US tv,playing them to many times can drive you around the bend.In UK we only see the ads when watching on line so thats only one day a week.

e2mtt
13th May 2007, 01:02
Oh yeah I hate the Kasey & the girls ads, mostly because they are extrmely overplayed. I tend to switch channels anytime commercials come on, especially the annoying ones.

colinspooky
13th May 2007, 19:09
It is supposed to be Australian no doubt...the whole thing is a Mad Max rip-off.

Aware of the Mad Max link --- not sure I would suggest the mutant is an Aussie, not with that accent 'old boy'. Unless you fancy having your face rearranged.

:angryfire

tstran17_88
15th May 2007, 03:25
The best NASCAR ads right now are the Geico ones with the kid and Mike Wallace, that stuff is funny.Warren Wallace, third cousin, once removed...wearing his Pete Hamilton "throw back" driver's uniform. :laugh:

ms0362
15th May 2007, 19:17
Like em, hate em.... I'm sick of all of them by mid-season. Thank goodness for VCR's and DVR's.