PDA

View Full Version : with Jooyner mania, how did you all miss this

harvick#1
12th May 2007, 01:07
Team owner Bill Davis less than happy with Benson, Truck team’s choices

By JIM UTTER / The Charlotte Observer
www.thatsracin.com (http://www.thatsracin.com)

Team owner Bill Davis appeared none too pleased with his Truck series driver, Johnny Benson, who allowed a friend to take some laps in his No. 23 Toyota Thursday night at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. The real trouble started when the non-licensed driver wrecked.

NASCAR officials ejected the team from the test when they learned it was not Benson in the truck. The driver and team were also barred from Friday’s test at the Charlotte track.

“I didn’t know anything about it,” Davis said. “I didn’t even know his name. I had no earthly idea that he was driving the truck. I guess he’s a friend of Johnny’s, Johnny’s mentor.

"None of our people knew about it. I mean, obviously, the crew chief and those guys did. Nobody in management knew anything about it.”

NASCAR officials said the unlicensed driver was Mike Lichty.

Benson was ordered to come to Darlington for a meeting on Friday with Davis, NASCAR president Mike Helton and Robin Pemberton, vice president of competition. The team faces additional penalties.

“Oh, I think there will be some repercussions, certainly,” Davis said. “That’s about against the rules as anything I’ve seen happen.”

Sparky1329
12th May 2007, 01:26
Well that was stupid.

muggle not
12th May 2007, 03:16
Well that was just "plain" stupid.

I thought more of Benson than that.

colinspooky
12th May 2007, 03:24
amusing tho -- would have loved to have a go, and I have been round that track -- scary g-forces

call_me_andrew
12th May 2007, 04:18
Well that was just "plain" stupid.

I thought more of Benson than that.

No, that's beyond plain stupid. This is entering the realm of galactically stupid.

Erki
12th May 2007, 08:51
Looks like Benson does what Benson wants... :p :

Jonesi
12th May 2007, 09:13
Said his name was Cole Trickle and he knows how to drive, since he's been watching the races on ESPN. ;-)

Hoss Ghoul
12th May 2007, 10:24
To answer your question Harvick#1 everyone missed it because its some backmarker team run by Bill Davis. In other words, who cares? Some hack racing team with a mediocre driver let his redneck hack racing buddy behind the wheel and he wadded it up....that's ole time NASCAR if you ask me!

BobbyC
12th May 2007, 18:40
Mike Lichty is a Supermodified driver from Ontario, and was a rival of current Bill Davis Racing developmental driver Bobby Santos III in the International Super Modified Association.

Supermodified racing is a regional racing division, with pockets of popularity in the West Coast and in the Northeast. Former CART official starter Nick Fonoro's son Nick Jr (Nokie) is an ISMA driver, and IRL driver Davey Hamilton also raced in the Supermodifieds.

Unfortunately, Lichty wasn't approved because NASCAR testing rules require drivers to be NASCAR-licenced for 1.5 mile tracks, and he would have probably only had a short-track licence. Hope it doesn't hurt him, but remember when Cale Yarborough entered the Southern 500 illegally as an underage driver.

BDR is a top NCTS team.

RaceFanStan
12th May 2007, 19:37
Up & coming drivers have to start somewhere .....
if Lichty had not crashed nobody would have cared or even noticed. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

tstran17_88
14th May 2007, 19:01
That's not BDR biggest worry right now. I read in Scene that Scott Wimmer is now suing BDR for 1.2 million in back pay for the 2006 season after he was let go from the team.

Jonesi
16th May 2007, 00:09
NascarNow just mentioned Benson's crew chief was fined $10K and two weeks suspension for the incident.

BobbyC
16th May 2007, 05:18
$10,000, 2 weeks suspension for the crew chief, AND 50 points for driver and owner.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/craftsman/37390/

The other issue here is NASCAR's ban on testing. How can NASCAR approve drivers when there are not enough places where NASCAR can allow teams to approve drivers in test sessions? The IRL has policy to get new drivers approved.

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2007, 17:29
Well that was just plain STUPID. Benson probably could have gotten the guy out there at a NON NASCAR test session or rented a track somewhere to give the kid some seat time, but do it at a time and place where it is a)legal to the NASCAR people and b) known by the guy who OWNS THE FREAKING TRUCK!!! BDR should jump Benson....and I like Benson, but if you own a team and you are not in control of who is driving the vehicle...then bu BYE.....