PDA

View Full Version : Vettel to Aston Martin?

N4D13
14th July 2020, 22:33
Autosport is running the story that Vettel is considering an offer from Aston Martin to race for them in 2021. I'm not going to lie - it looks like a very logical move from both parties. It definitely makes more sense than Alonso to Renault anyway.

The interesting thing is that according to what they're saying, it looks like it could be Pérez who gets the boot rather than Stroll. Now wouldn't that be ironic.

pantealex
15th July 2020, 05:51
N4D13 Father Stroll is one of teams owners...
Money talks like always :(

N4D13
15th July 2020, 14:23
N4D13 Father Stroll is one of teams owners...
Money talks like always :(
Indeed, which is why I specifically mentioned Pérez losing his seat rather than Stroll. Gerhard Berger has mentioned that he seems to have a soft contract which allows the team to get rid of him easily. It would be really sad to lose him after his very good start to 2020, but well, it's understandable if Vettel is on the market and Lance is going to remain on the team because daddy.

The good thing is that if Pérez loses his seat at Aston Martin, you could imagine that he'd at least land on his feet and get a seat at Haas, as he'd make for a very solid replacement of Grosjean.

The Black Knight
15th July 2020, 16:55
How far Vettel has fallen.

Seriously though, I think he should take next year out. He is better than he has shown over the last 3 seasons. He needs a timeout to reenergise - recharge the batteries.

Alpha Romeo could be another option should Kimi retire.

Jag_Warrior
16th July 2020, 15:34
The good thing is that if Pérez loses his seat at Aston Martin, you could imagine that he'd at least land on his feet and get a seat at Haas, as he'd make for a very solid replacement of Grosjean.

A rumor making the rounds has Perez retaining the Aston seat and Sonny Boy being sent off to Haas with a fat check in his pocket. Vettel and Perez in a pink (soon to be green?) Merc, and Stroll moving Grosjean out and into FE or go karts or working at McDonalds. I actually see young Stroll as a step up from Grosjean... at the very least, he doesn't whine and snivel as much as Romain.

I like that rumor. :)

Nitrodaze
22nd July 2020, 18:07
A rumor making the rounds has Perez retaining the Aston seat and Sonny Boy being sent off to Haas with a fat check in his pocket. Vettel and Perez in a pink (soon to be green?) Merc, and Stroll moving Grosjean out and into FE or go karts or working at McDonalds. I actually see young Stroll as a step up from Grosjean... at the very least, he doesn't whine and snivel as much as Romain.

I like that rumor. :)

Common sense would dictate that is what they should do. But l have a feeling Lance is safe in his seat. Perez out of contract poses a problem for most drivers. I could see him forcing a change at Haas or Alfa Romeo. It even puts Alonso under slight pressure at Renault.

Nitrodaze
22nd July 2020, 18:13
How far Vettel has fallen.

Seriously though, I think he should take next year out. He is better than he has shown over the last 3 seasons. He needs a timeout to reenergise - recharge the batteries.

Alpha Romeo could be another option should Kimi retire.

It all about timing. Vettel is on the market at the wrong time, hence must settle for second best for the time being. That said, Aston Martin may be front line car in 2021 with Vettel in it. The team would be under pressure to provide Vettel with a race winning car of lose him at the first opportunity that presents itself to Vettel. I think Astom Martin makes sense for Vettel at the moment. It would be an environment that would allow him to regroup and relaunch himself in the future.

It it might not be such a setback in the end.

Bagwan
23rd July 2020, 19:42
JV is suggesting that seat beside Max .

Nitrodaze
24th July 2020, 12:40
JV is suggesting that seat beside Max .

Ain't gonna happen. Redbull don't want him back.

gm99
6th August 2020, 14:51
With Bottas' Mercedes contract now renewed until the end of the 2021 season, Aston Martin might well be Vettel's last chance of a drive (unless Red Bull give Albon the boot, but would he really want to be team-mate to Verstappen?)

gm99
9th September 2020, 19:49
Perez announced today that he will leave Racing Point/Aston Martin at the end of this season. So this leaves room for either Vettel or a return of the Hulk. Perez' only options seem to be Haas, Alfa Romeo or Williams, all of which would be a step down from his current drive.

N4D13
9th September 2020, 22:32
I read somewhere today (was it Autosport?) that Pérez is currently on conversations with Alfa Romeo, which seem like the most logical destination for him.

gm99
10th September 2020, 09:59
Vettel to Aston Martin confirmed: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.confirmed-vettel-to-make-sensational-racing-point-switch-in-2021-as-they-re.2fFFG6zJLTZssQg9EBrA5H.html

Isabella88
10th September 2020, 10:39
That might be a good idea. Although considering the latest seasons nobody actually stands a chance against Mercedes, so in this case I believe we have a 2nd Schumacher that makes another F1 season boring. That's my opinion :D

N. Jones
10th September 2020, 14:11
So, the rumors are true.
I wonder, where does Perez go?

truefan72
10th September 2020, 15:39
So, the rumors are true.
I wonder, where does Perez go?

My Money is on Alfa R.
Btw i think there is an outside chance Giovinazzi also departs and it will be interesting to see who joins the team.

Nitrodaze
10th September 2020, 16:25
My Money is on Alfa R.
Btw i think there is an outside chance Giovinazzi also departs and it will be interesting to see who joins the team.

I wonder what Haas is dooing with drivers for 2021. Perez could shake things up there as well.

F1nKS
11th September 2020, 21:16
I wonder what Haas is dooing with drivers for 2021. Perez could shake things up there as well.

Gunther said he was looking at 10 drivers (and Perez said earlier that Haas had contacted his agents at the start of the Vettel rumors). I said on another thread I see Perez either going to Alpha or Haas (and will be teamed with one of the new up and coming Ferrrari drivers). They key is whether Hulkenberg ends up at Alfa or not - Would Alpha team up Nico and Perez?

Jag_Warrior
12th September 2020, 19:03
Would Alpha team up Nico and Perez?

I'd love to see it.

I can see Alfa improving. I can see Williams improving. But I can't see Haas improving - and that pains me, as I've cheered for them from the beginning. They seem to have bought into the definition of insanity: doing the same thing tomorrow that didn't work yesterday, yet expecting better results. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them keep Grosjean and Magnussen for another season or three.

Storm
14th September 2020, 08:14
Why is Grosjean still around? Perez is definitely an upgrade over both Haas drivers atm.

Jag_Warrior
7th November 2020, 18:14
I'd love to see it.

I can see Alfa improving. I can see Williams improving. But I can't see Haas improving - and that pains me, as I've cheered for them from the beginning. They seem to have bought into the definition of insanity: doing the same thing tomorrow that didn't work yesterday, yet expecting better results. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them keep Grosjean and Magnussen for another season or three.

I don't dislike them as people (since I don't know them), but thank goodness the Grosjean/Magnussen insanity is over. If Haas is going to have Mazepin in one of the seats (likely), then I don't expect a performance gain next season, unless Daddy Rubles can inject enough cash to make up for his kid's lack of talent.

Good luck to young Schumacher though. Too bad Ferrari didn't push for him to take Giovinazzi's Alfa seat, and send him over to Haas. Under Kimi, I think Mick could develop as a more complete driver. Paired with Mazepin, what could he possibly learn??? Ferrari has a weird way of doing things, IMO.

djip
7th November 2020, 19:29
I don't dislike them as people (since I don't know them), but thank goodness the Grosjean/Magnussen insanity is over. If Haas is going to have Mazepin in one of the seats (likely), then I don't expect a performance gain next season, unless Daddy Rubles can inject enough cash to make up for his kid's lack of talent.

Good luck to young Schumacher though. Too bad Ferrari didn't push for him to take Giovinazzi's Alfa seat, and send him over to Haas. Under Kimi, I think Mick could develop as a more complete driver. Paired with Mazepin, what could he possibly learn??? Ferrari has a weird way of doing things, IMO.

A Mazepin / Schumacher pairing is byfar the weakest of all F1 team. Coupled with a poor car (not likely to improver next year)), it is recipie for dead last place - hands down.
As much as Magnussen / Grosjean were kept for too long (new blood may have turned things a bit), they are both good drivers (Grosjean) and excellent racers (Magnussen) - Underrated lateely because of a marginal car, but put any of them in a midfield car and they would do pretty good.
Apart from Gene willing to sell and the sale being already agreed, I on't see the point. Going backwards can only plummet the value of the team...

Jag_Warrior
10th November 2020, 17:04
It's sounding like Magnussen may find his way over to the Indy Car Series next season. If so, he'll have a much better chance of showing his racing prowess because it's a less car dependent championship.