PDA

View Full Version : Austria GP Part 1

N. Jones
3rd July 2020, 16:14
The season has finally begun. I am curious to see how the teams do in this first session.

unclenontas
3rd July 2020, 20:18
Way too early to get into any conclusion. Just a wild guess, that the qualy would be tight enough!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

gm99
3rd July 2020, 21:15
The black and pink Mercedes seem to have the edge so far. Red Bull and Alfa Tauri rather disappointing, as are Alfa and Haas. Ferrari and Renault better than expected. But of course, we only have seen free practice thus far.

Jag_Warrior
3rd July 2020, 22:07
I was surprised to see the Red Bulls not just off the pace, but also seeming to have some handling issues. And I was kind of glad to see the Pink Panthers in front of them.

As for some of the others that I took notice of this morning: Williams, still kind of pitiful. Haas, still kind of pitiful. Ferrari, looking like a small golf ball lost in tall grass. Mercedes, if anything, I'd say they're holding back a bit - which is kinda scary!

N. Jones
4th July 2020, 03:54
Wow do I hate that Mercedes color scheme. I like how McLaren is doing and am surprised how well Racing Point are. I am disappointed that Haas look the same as last season.

truefan72
4th July 2020, 06:08
Wow do I hate that Mercedes color scheme.

I really like the color scheme. Even more so what it represents. but The car looks badass imo

RubyDragon949
4th July 2020, 07:27
The car looks badass imo

Agreed. Along with Hamilton's black helmet. It's like watching Batman out on track. The purple lining inside the helmet is great too.

If he becomes the greatest grand prix driver of all time this using with all of this as the backdrop, it will certainly do wonders to the BLM movement.

*Ruby*

P.S - If you haven't yet. Be sure to check out my novel. Found in the links on my Signature.

The Black Knight
4th July 2020, 17:41
Agreed. Along with Hamilton's black helmet. It's like watching Batman out on track. The purple lining inside the helmet is great too.

If he becomes the greatest grand prix driver of all time this using with all of this as the backdrop, it will certainly do wonders to the BLM movement.

*Ruby*

P.S - If you haven't yet. Be sure to check out my novel. Found in the links on my Signature.

I’m sick of Hamilton’s nonsense now. He’s one of the most privileged, richest drivers ever in the sport and he’s on about inequality and a movement that has shown nothing but racist intent towards white people and violence across the globe over the last couple of weeks. He can f**k right off. I hope Bottas destroys him, the utter hypocrite.

Bottas did a Rosberg on him today anyway. Delighted.

truefan72
4th July 2020, 22:41
I’m sick of Hamilton’s nonsense now. He’s one of the most privileged, richest drivers ever in the sport and he’s on about inequality and a movement that has shown nothing but racist intent towards white people and violence across the globe over the last couple of weeks. He can f**k right off. I hope Bottas destroys him, the utter hypocrite.

You actually came on here to say this?
SMH. Just proves what he and BLM are fighting for.
To miss the point so far an in such a vile manner says more about you than Hamilton or any other person with a platform who chooses to lend their voice to a real and sobering reality.
I never thought I would block you TBK (the irony in the name) but this is just an awful tone deaf post.
oh well...

Nitrodaze
4th July 2020, 23:29

Buddy you are so far off the mark on this one. It is surprising that you do not understand the issue and what is being communicated. To call it racism against white people is just the height of ignorance.

Nitrodaze
4th July 2020, 23:31
Bottas has started the season well. That pole lap was something very special. A new lap record no less. In a bizzare season such as this, can he mount an upset?

truefan72
4th July 2020, 23:58
yup, Bottas isn't messing about to start the season. Anything can happen. The race should be interesting. I'm more worried about Verstappen at p3 trying to do something bonkers at the start.
also, kudos to Norris. What an excellent p4. Alob did very well in P5 and a strong showing by ricciardo in p10 who felt he could have done better in Q3.
Can't wait for the race!

Big Ben
5th July 2020, 09:25
The Mercedes PR stunt works. I was a rabid racist but the black cars have convinced me to turn away from my wicked ways. I hope Hamilton can manage to destroy the lives of the drivers that don't follow him in his empty gestures (e.g. kneeling).

journeyman racer
5th July 2020, 10:15
I refuse to believe the validity of TBK's post. There must be some sort of reverse psychology thing going on?

I think Bottas has reached a point where even the most cynical and dispirited fans can acknowledge that he can beat Hamilton on merit. But as with the case after last year's Aus GP, it's about how often he can do it.

When both MB are on the front row. Almost always it doesn't matter who gets pole, but who's first after the first few corners.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 11:20
The Mercedes PR stunt works. I was a rabid racist but the black cars have convinced me to turn away from my wicked ways. I hope Hamilton can manage to destroy the lives of the drivers that don't follow him in his empty gestures (e.g. kneeling).

another useless post. I simply don't understand how some folks think here. They simply don't get it and worse yet, feel so entitled and comfortable to share their misguided and tone deaf thoughts. Be part of the solution not the problem. SMH

gm99
5th July 2020, 12:43
Hamilton penalized for disobeying the yellow flags in Q3 and will now start from P5. So that puts Lando Norris up to P3.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 13:02
Hamilton penalized for disobeying the yellow flags in Q3 and will now start from P5. So that puts Lando Norris up to P3.
Not a fan of the penalty at all. Either it shouldn't have been given or it's too lenient.

If you're going to give a penalty for ignoring a yellow flag, it probably should be sterner, or maybe have that laptime deleted as they do for track limits. It doesn't feel right that ignoring a yellow flags only drops you from P2 to P5 while at least Sainz and Ricciardo got mugged over the flag, with the former going down from P3 to P8. With such a close midfield, this is a terrible precedent IMO because when a single tenth can be worth several places on the grid, it's going to be definitely worth it to just ignore the flag, go flat out, improve a couple of places while everyone else can't put together a decent lap and then just lose three places.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 13:06
Bottas has started the season well. That pole lap was something very special. A new lap record no less. In a bizzare season such as this, can he mount an upset?
We had the very same conversation at the beginning of last years and some forum members were certain that it was going to be Bottas' year and that he'd mount a credible challenge, only for their predictions to fall apart a couple of races into the season. So far history shows that Bottas can show glimpses of speed occasionally, but there's nothing to suggest that he'll keep the level of excellence that Hamilton does deliver consistently.

Beating your teammate to pole by 0.012 seconds in just one race doesn't magically turn you into a championship contender, especially when your second lap was a mess that could have meant floor damage or even putting the car in the wall.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 13:46
Verstapenn is now out of contention for this weird season's contention. But Albon is suddenly once again being placed at the deepend of carrying the redbull hopes for the championship win once again.

gm99
5th July 2020, 13:47
Poor Verstappen.
Ferrari's race pace is downright embarassing.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 13:48
We had the very same conversation at the beginning of last years and some forum members were certain that it was going to be Bottas' year and that he'd mount a credible challenge, only for their predictions to fall apart a couple of races into the season. So far history shows that Bottas can show glimpses of speed occasionally, but there's nothing to suggest that he'll keep the level of excellence that Hamilton does deliver consistently.

Beating your teammate to pole by 0.012 seconds in just one race doesn't magically turn you into a championship contender, especially when your second lap was a mess that could have meant floor damage or even putting the car in the wall.

This is the sort of season that can allow Bottas to steal a title. He has started well which he needs to do to have half a chance. But Hamilton has made is way to 2nd. Damage limitation.

I am impressed with Bottas this season. He is beginning to be consistent.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 13:50
Now there's Renault punishing Ricciardo for signing up with McLaren. :p

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 13:57
It is looking like reliability is lower than we have seen for a few seasons now. They are dropping like flies it seem.

gm99
5th July 2020, 13:59
I am impressed with Bottas this season. He is beginning to be consistent.

How can you measure consistency when we're not even halfway through the first race of the season?

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:00
Safety car has brought Hamilton well into contention. Bottas now has a real fight on his hand.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:01
How can you measure consistency when we're not even halfway through the first race of the season?

Well he has started two seasons strongly consecutively. That is consistent. That is a good indication that he may have built on his level from last year. Which suggests that he may do better this season.

gm99
5th July 2020, 14:04
Well he has started two seasons strongly consecutively. That is consistent.

In my definition, consistent is not just starting a season strongly, but to maintain that level throughout the season.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:07

Welkl he has started two seasons strong consecutively. That is consistent.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:09
In my definition, consistent is not just starting a season strongly, but to maintain that level throughout the season.

That is Bottas's aspiration this season. But we shall see if he can be consistent through a season.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:15
Is Mercedes going to impose team orders. Hamilton is reeling in Bottas at the mo.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:16
They have turned down the engines it seems. They are keeping station.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 14:18
They have turned down the engines it seems. They are keeping station.
The fact that they've turned down the engines doesn't mean that they can't race IMO - just that they're allowed to as long as they keep an eye on the engine, which is a perfectly reasonable decision from Mercedes considering that their closest challenger is now 6 seconds behind.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:21
He is right up his gearbox now. Are they going to let them fight each other.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 14:24
He is right up his gearbox now. Are they going to let them fight each other.
Let's face it, I don't think Hamilton, a six-time WDC, would obey an order to hold station anyway. Not in the first race of the season anyway. So it's a bit of a moot question IMO.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:25
Both Mercedes may drop out with gearbox failure. Albon may win this race yet hehe.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 14:29
Safety car

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:30
George Russell's Williams and the other Haas of Grosjean bows out of the race.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 14:32
If Mercedes lose this race is because once again they are trying too hard to orchestrate the race.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:32
Safety car

Bottas is struggling on those hard tyres, can he keep it in front after the safety car pulls in. Albon has new tyres, he could be a treat.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:33
If Mercedes lose this race is because once again they are trying too hard to orchestrate the race.

darn right!

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:36
Safety car again

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:38
Is Albon ahead of Perez? Did anyone see what happened.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:42
Haas still using cheap brakes it seems. Both cars out with brake problems as they have had for the last four seasons.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:48
Unlucky Albon. But gutsy attack. He had to do it. But Hamilton takes no prisoners.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 14:48
Patience Albon. Just threw away a certain win

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:51
Leclerc seems good to win this race with the two Mercs limping forward.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 14:51
I'd be disappointed if Hamilton got a penalty over that. Yes, he could and probably should have left a bit more room, but that was the kind of move that often goes badly. Overtaking on the outside of a fast corner makes you look great when you pull it off, but often ends up with someone in tears.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:52
Patience Albon. Just threw away a certain win

Leclerc smells blood and he is going for it.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 14:53
Leclerc smells blood and he is going for it.
While Vettel just got overtaken and lost P10. :)

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:54
I'd be disappointed if Hamilton got a penalty over that. Yes, he could and probably should have left a bit more room, but that was the kind of move that often goes badly. Overtaking on the outside of a fast corner makes you look great when you pull it off, but often ends up with someone in tears.

One second penalty. This is Bottas's race to lose now.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 14:54
One second penalty. This is Bottas's race to lose now.
Wasn't it five seconds?

gm99
5th July 2020, 14:55
5 sec penalty for Hamilton? Why? He was on the inside and just held his racing line through that corner. Clearly Albon's mistake!

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:55
The penalties are looking very bizzare now. Such very late penalty again on Perez.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 14:56
5 sec penalty for Hamilton? Why? He was on the inside and just held his racing line through that corner. Clearly Albon's mistake!
As I said, you need to leave space for the car on the outside, so with the rules in hand, it was a fine penalty. But I still think it was too stringent.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:57
Wasn't it five seconds?

Sorry 5 sec it was. I calculated the difference the car behind at the time.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 14:58
As I said, you need to leave space for the car on the outside, so with the rules in hand, it was a fine penalty. But I still think it was too stringent.

Not really, Masi say gloves of racing. That was gloves off racing. So it was not really consistent.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:00
Mclaren on the podium with Norris. That is brilliant.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 15:00
Landoooooooo

N4D13
5th July 2020, 15:01
Not really, Masi say gloves of racing. That was gloves off racing. So it was not really consistent.
Masi can say whatever he wants, but my point is about the rulebook.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:01
Bottas is sitting pretty at the mo, with that points gap to Hamilton. This is going to be short but very interesting season.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:03
Masi can say whatever he wants, but my point is about the rulebook.

True, but how the rules is applied is Massi's say. And he says gloves off.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 15:06
Well done lando.
The only good thing from today.
Shady penalty on Hamilton. Nothing for Norris who barged Perez out of the way 🤷🏻*♂️
Oh well. On to the next race.
As I said Mercedes insistence on trying to orchestrate the race has come back to bite them. There was a point where Hamilton was trying to overtake bottle but they effectively told them to hold station in their overconfidence. There was nothing wrong with the cars based on the late race pace. Then at the 2nd safety car they should have pitted Hamilton to cover Albon. Smh
At least we got another race next week.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 15:09
Not really, Masi say gloves of racing. That was gloves off racing. So it was not really consistent. yup. And to make matters worse no penalty for Norris he just barged into Perez while Perez was still ahead on turn3 and stupid sky f1 crew were like that’s a fine move. Laughable. I would protest if I was Mercedes

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:09
Well done lando.
The only good thing from today.
Shady penalty on Hamilton. Nothing for Norris who barged Perez out of the way ����*♂️
Oh well. On to the next race.
As I said Mercedes insistence on trying to orchestrate the race has come back to bite them. There was a point where Hamilton was trying to overtake bottle but they effectively told them to hold station in their overconfidence. There was nothing wrong with the cars based on the late race pace. Then at the 2nd safety car they should have pitted Hamilton to cover Albon. Smh
At least we got another race next week.

Mercedes did not impress from the pitwall. Not pitting one car put them under pressure from Redbull. They were too tame this race.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 15:12
yup. And to make matters worse no penalty for Norris he just barged into Perez while Perez was still ahead on turn3 and stupid sky f1 crew were like that’s a fine move. Laughable. I would protest if I was Mercedes
Come on, Norris' move was definitely legitimate. Pérez left the door wide open and Norris just took the opportunity into the inner line, leaving more than enough space for Pérez. Pérez just wasn't expecting there, but they banged wheels, which happens all the time in racing and is fine.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:13
yup. And to make matters worse no penalty for Norris he just barged into Perez while Perez was still ahead on turn3 and stupid sky f1 crew were like that’s a fine move. Laughable. I would protest if I was Mercedes

I thought the stewards at this race were crap really. we could see signs of it with the very last minute penalty for Hamilton which had him starting the race 5th. The penalty for Perez was just as dodgy. D**kheads really

The Black Knight
5th July 2020, 15:14
Savage race. Bottas got a victory he richly deserved and Hamilton got the 4th he just about deserved. LeClerc and Norris are stars. I’m a big fan of Norris so delighted that he got the podium. It has been so long since McLaren were on the podium - thrilled for them.

And LeClerc- what can I say? He’s showing all the signs of a future great in the sport once more.

Albon/Hamilton incident I felt was a racing incident. I think it Albon took risk that can sometimes pay off and other times it doesn’t at that corner. A bit harsh as I felt Lewis did leave him the cars width. Hamilton’s head is not in the game, been clear all weekend so have little sympathy for him.

Vettel - bloody hell. SMH.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 15:15
I thought the stewards at this race were crap really. we could see signs of it with the very last minute penalty for Hamilton which hard him starting the race 5th. The penalty for Perez was just as dodgy. D**kheads really
Again, nothing wrong with the penalty for Pérez. I don't really know what you guys are droning on about. Seriously, Pérez' penalty was for speeding in the pitlane. That's as clear-cut as they go, so what's the point with all the moaning?

Yes, I get that Hamilton's penalty was way too stringent, but the other things just don't make any sense.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:16
Come on, Norris' move was definitely legitimate. Pérez left the door wide open and Norris just took the opportunity into the inner line, leaving more than enough space for Pérez. Pérez just wasn't expecting there, but they banged wheels, which happens all the time in racing and is fine.

I agree, Perez left the door wide open there.

gm99
5th July 2020, 15:17
The penalty for Perez was just as dodgy. D**kheads really

Wasn't that penalty for speeding in the pit lane? What's so dodgy about that?

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:18
Again, nothing wrong with the penalty for Pérez. I don't really know what you guys are droning on about. Seriously, Pérez' penalty was for speeding in the pitlane. That's as clear-cut as they go, so what's the point with all the moaning?

Yes, I get that Hamilton's penalty was way too stringent, but the other things just don't make any sense.

It was the timing of the application of the penalty that is in dispute. It almost seemed like an afterthought. For speeding in the pitlane, that should be something that they can issue a penalty for very quickly. It was several laps after everyones mind had moved on to a different aspect of the race that the penalty came.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 15:18
Wasn't that penalty for speeding in the pit lane? What's so dodgy about that?
I'm getting the impression that Nitrodaze got confused and assumed that Pérez' penalty was about the unsafe release.

Edit: never mind.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 15:23
I thought the stewards at this race were crap really. we could see signs of it with the very last minute penalty for Hamilton which hard him starting the race 5th. The penalty for Perez was just as dodgy. D**kheads really

I believe perez penalty was for speeding in the pits.
The albon penalty on Hamilton was very suspect. Hamilton was ahead going into the corner, just because albon accelerated during the corner doesn't make it hamilton's fault.
If he was ahead into the corner then all expectations are that he will continue accordingly without albon trying to make an impossible pass.
The sad thing for Albon was that he had a real shot at winning this race if he got past Hamilton. He would have approached Bottas at a very rapid pace and probably overtook him.
his immaturity on not understanding how to setup a proper pass cost him victory and hamilton dearly.
My only solace is that Horner left today at his home grand prix with zero points after his shenanigans and stupid protests.
Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:24
I'm getting the impression that Nitrodaze got confused and assumed that Pérez' penalty was about the unsafe release.

Edit: never mind.

It is very possible that l missed something. Please explain what you noticed.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 15:24
It was the timing of the application of the penalty that is in dispute. It almost seemed like a an afterthought. For speeding in the pitlane, that should be something that they can issue a penalty for very quickly. It was several laps after everyones mind had moved on to a different aspect of the race that the penalty came.

agreed

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 15:27
I believe perez penalty was for speeding in the pits.
The albon penalty on Hamilton was very suspect. Hamilton was ahead going into the corner, just because albon accelerated during the corner doesn't make it hamilton's fault.
If he was ahead into the corner then all expectations are that he will continue accordingly without albon trying to make an impossible pass.
The sad thing for Albon was that he had a real shot at winning this race if he got past Hamilton. He would have approached Bottas at a very rapid pace and probably overtook him.
his immaturity on not understanding how to setup a proper pass cost him victory and hamilton dearly.
My only solace is that Horner left today at his home grand prix with zero points after his shenanigans and stupid protests.
I have to say l agree with you there. Redbull were looking like pointless pratagonists. I think it is unfair to ask Hamilton to make it easy for Albon to overtake him. This is racing and it is up to Albon to initiate a successful overtake. So the penalty was unfair and inconsistent. Afterall, Verstapenn punted Leclerc of the track at a similar corner on this circuit last season to win the race. So where is the consistency.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 15:27
Anyway, with the race out of the way, a few thoughts:

- Bottas has been quite lucky this weekend IMO, but I certainly don't get the impression that he was the quicker Mercedes driver - at least not on Sunday IMO. He took pole by a minimal advantage, but then saw his 7.5 s lead to Hamilton reduced to 3.8 s in just a couple of laps. We might have seen Lewis passing him on track if it wasn't by Merc's reliability problems, or team orders, depending on the hat you're wearing.

- Bloody hell, Vettel. 2019 was a super messy season from him and 2020 couldn't have started much worse.

- The McLaren guys are looking very fine. Lovely podium for Lando, with a bit of luck with all the attrition and avoiding being impeded by the yellow flag in Q3 - and Sainz also putting on a nice display which almost meant that he was the orange driver to finish on the podium. It's fairly sad that McLaren will still need some mess ahead to challenge for podiums, but it's still a very welcome improvement with respect to 2019.

- That Tracing Point is fast.

- I'd advise against making many predictions for the rest of the season based on this race. This is a rather unique circuit which normally causes more reliability problems than most, and where engine power is more important than normal. With that in mind, and knowing that Ferrari will be bringing a spec B car to Hungary, I'd definitely expect them to steer clear of the Racing Points and McLarens. Well, at least Leclerc, that is.

- OMG, Latifi on P11 was nice, but still, rotten luck for Russell. I think he'd have managed to score his maiden point had it not been for the retirement. Kinda reminds me of the German GP where Kubica finished ahead on him on what was basically a fluke.

N4D13
5th July 2020, 15:31
It is very possible that l missed something. Please explain what you noticed.
I didn't get that you were criticizing the late timing on the penalty as you hadn't made that explicit earlier, and the Sky crew had been mentioning the possibility of a penalty for an unsafe release for him, so I thought that you'd assumed the penalty was for an unsafe release rather than speeding.

That said, yes, the penalty did come out a bit late, but I don't think it was strange considering everything race direction had to deal with. And on top of that, what difference would it have made to have the penalty issued five laps earlier anyway? It's not like it would have had much of an effect on strategies or on-track action anyway, seeing as though Pérez got rightfully passed by both McLarens anyway.

truefan72
5th July 2020, 15:37
I have to say l agree with you there. Redbull were looking like pointless pratagonists. I think it is unfair to ask Hamilton to make it easy for Albon to overtake him. This is racing and it is up to Albon to initiate a successful overtake. So the penalty was unfair and inconsistent.

I firmly believe there is an element of "entertainment" in some of these judgement calls or to knock mercedes down a peg. The brazil penalty was borderline but i could see it. This was at at worst a racing incident and in all honesty an overzealous attempt by Albon. He would have got hamilton on the start straight, or the long straight then probably pass Bottas a lap or two later. The irony is that F1 is back and all the same talking points are back.
Shoddy stewards decisions, Vettel clumsiness, RBR/Horner insufferable shenanigans, RBR reliability on verstappens car, ricciardo dnf, mercedes missteps from the pitwall, lol

truefan72
5th July 2020, 15:48
Anyway, with the race out of the way, a few thoughts:

- Bottas has been quite lucky this weekend IMO, but I certainly don't get the impression that he was the quicker Mercedes driver - at least not on Sunday IMO. He took pole by a minimal advantage, but then saw his 7.5 s lead to Hamilton reduced to 3.8 s in just a couple of laps. We might have seen Lewis passing him on track if it wasn't by Merc's reliability problems, or team orders, depending on the hat you're wearing.
yup.
There is a certain arrogance at the mercedes ptwall that always see them make critical strategy errors.
1. let them race. At that point they were a good 11 seconds and pulling away from the rest, they could afford a tussle and i think bottas and hamilton have enough respect for one another to not take each other out. They were assured a 1-2 either way, so why not entertain the fans.
2. ...which leads into them not pitting one or both drivers on the 2nd safety car for the new pair of softs or mediums they each had. It continues to amaze me how, I can see that from my couch, but the strategist with their millions of data points and dozens of people can;t figure it out. That is essentially the problem with committee management. too many voices no single person brave enough to make the call.
3. I honestly feel that the team is that dominant that they should just be run as 2 seperate units, each doing what's best for their side of the garage and only tot intervening if it is absolutely warranted. They have more than 50% chance of winning each race with either car so why not? Because it was actually a bit disheartening on lap 36 of a 71 lap race to hear them talking about effectively bringing home a 1-2. SMH

also agree on the bottas comments. Let's see what happens next week.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 17:11
I think Bottas did a very good job this weekend. It is not fair to diminish it in any way. Hamilton paid the price of not nailing a fast lap to take pole in the first place. The weird stewards penalty sort of took the shine of a first corner fight off the start. Redbull were trying to manufacture a win with Verstapenn but karma had something to say about that.

Mercedes were very disappointing, especially seeing how much faster Hamilton was on the yellow tyres compared to Bottas that seemed to be struggling. In a short season such as this, it is much more a case of every driver for himself. Team orders only serve to styme the chances of the disadvantaged driver. So Mercedes did Hamilton no favors at this race.

I thought they would let him pass Bottas so that he can recover from the 5 sec penalty with some fast laps. They appear dozey today, the Mercedes pitwall. But they might be genuinely worried about getting both cars to the end of the race with their gearbox worries.

The racing point did not show their real pace at this race due to the Mercedes gearbox worries. I expect the story would be very different on another track.

Did anyone noticed the plume of fumes that was coming out of the Mercedes exhaust. It kind of reminded me of the smokey Ferrari of 2018.

It was a great day for Mclaren. In particular Lando Norris who has obviously matured really well.

It has been some time since we have seen six cars retire from a race with mechanical failures in a dry race. Admittedly Kimi's retirement was for a tyre that came of the rims. Nonetheless, it is surprisingly high for the Hybrid Era.

Also, the Ferrari turned out to be much slower than expected. But Leclerc once again shows why he is deserving of the support that Ferrari has given him.

Albon was brilliant today until that overtake that went wrong. You cannot overtake a six time world champion in the manner that he chose to do it. But we see him exhibit a fearless desire to overtake even a six times world champion. He would get it right next time l think. You can imagine the pressure he was under after Verstapenn's DNF.

I still think the stewarding at this race was sub-standard and largely inconsistent.

All in all, it was a very welcomed return to racing and a very entertaining race too.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 17:50
As it stands at the moment, Bottas, Leclerc, Norris and Hamilton are the main title contenders, with Sainz, Perez and Gasly in the outside chance group. I expect the complexion of the drivers table to changed dramatically by the next race as Hamilton and Verstapenn try to address the setback today.

But Bottas cannot afford the slightest off day over the next few races. Leclerc is looking like a dark horse for the title. Anything can happen in F1.

The Black Knight
5th July 2020, 17:53
I think Bottas did a very good job this weekend. It is not fair to diminish it in any way. Hamilton paid the price of not nailing a fast lap to take pole in the first place. The weird stewards penalty sort of took the shine of a first corner fight off the start. Redbull were trying to manufacture a win with Verstapenn but karma had something to say about that.

Mercedes were very disappointing, especially seeing how much faster Hamilton was on the yellow tyres compared to Bottas that seemed to be struggling. In a short season such as this, it is much more a case of every driver for himself. Team orders only serve to styme the chances of the disadvantaged driver. So Mercedes did Hamilton no favors at this race.

I thought they would let him pass Bottas so that he can recover from the 5 sec penalty with some fast laps. They appear dozey today, the Mercedes pitwall. But they might be genuinely worried about getting both cars to the end of the race with their gearbox worries.

The racing point did not show their real pace at this race due to the Mercedes gearbox worries. I expect the story would be very different on another track.

Did anyone noticed the plume of fumes that was coming out of the Mercedes exhaust. It kind of reminded me of the smokey Ferrari of 2018.

It was a great day for Mclaren. In particular Lando Norris who has obviously matured really well.

It has been some time since we have seen six cars retire from a race with mechanical failures in a dry race. Admittedly Kimi's retirement was for a tyre that came of the rims. Nonetheless, it is surprisingly high for the Hybrid Era.

Also, the Ferrari turned out to be much slower than expected. But Leclerc once again shows why he is deserving of the support that Ferrari has given him.

Albon was brilliant today until that overtake that went wrong. You cannot overtake a six time world champion in the manner that he chose to do it. But we see him exhibit a fearless desire to overtake even a six times world champion. He would get it right next time l think.

I still think the stewarding at this race was sub-standard and largely inconsistent.

All in all, it was a very welcomed return to racing and a very entertaining race too.

You don’t earn any points for being a 6 time WDC. I agree the penalty was too harsh for Hamilton and was more of a racing incident. Feel sorry for Albon but going around the outside like that is always 50/5p whether it pays off or not. Albon deserved more but it was bard luck as well

I don’t understand why Mercedes could not allow Hamilton past Bottas to get 5 seconds ahead.

I also don’t buy that they really had gearbox issues either. Hamilton was well able to knock in a 1min 7 seconds in the closing laps and Bottas also, so if it was that critical I think they would have not been able to do that- Mercedes just wanted the 1-2, any gearbox issue talk is just an excuse to cover that up.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 17:57
You don’t earn any points for being a 6 time WDC. I agree the penalty was too harsh for Hamilton and was more of a racing incident. Feel sorry for Albon but going around the outside like that is always 50/5p whether it pays off or not. Albon deserved more but it was bard luck as well

I don’t understand why Mercedes could not allow Hamilton past Bottas to get 5 seconds ahead.

I also don’t buy that they really had gearbox issues either. Hamilton was well able to knock in a 1min 7 seconds in the closing laps and Bottas also, so if it was that critical I think they would have not been able to do that- Mercedes just wanted the 1-2, any gearbox issue talk is just an excuse to cover that up.

Well they did not get their one-two finish in the end , did they?

Nitrodaze
5th July 2020, 18:02

Hiya Big Ben good to see you back to the fold. By the way you are still a rabid racist.

The Black Knight
5th July 2020, 18:09
Well they did not get their one-two finish in the end , did they?

And as soon as the 1-2 was in jeopardy they were flying again. There was nothing wrong with those cars.

The Black Knight
5th July 2020, 18:22

At least LeClerc, Verstappen, Antonio Giovinazzi, Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz and Kimi Raikkonen had the sense to not take a knee.

If someone comes up to me and expects me to take a knee to these rabid racists they’ll be spending quite a number of nights in A&E.

airshifter
5th July 2020, 21:42
Well just when I thought that race might end up boring, it all turned around in a big way.

Sucks to be Max, and my FGP is toast being I picked RB as my primary team. But he might have had a shot at the first two positions with that strategy. As for Albon, he pushed a hard pass and it cost him. I thought the penalty on Lewis was deserved, but if Alex had just calmed down he might have had a first win. As it turned out, he didn't even get on the podium.

The safety cars kept Bottas on his toes, and we never really got to see if Lewis had a strong attack without it. It seemed he could attack after the first, but Merc were seemingly in hold station and don't push the cars mode already.

The Pinks are quick. At the right track they will challenge. The McLarens are quick too, and seem to handle well.

After the penalties, Lando did exactly what he had to do to get on that podium. Other than Bottas, probably the most deserving driver of the day overall. I'd say Leclerc would fill out the top 3 in driver merit. He kept pushing, didn't put a wheel wrong, and put that car where it really didn't deserve to be.

Not a great weekend for Lewis. I hope he can get his head in the game, as the Mercs seem to still be dominant. With the potential for a really short season, he better get on top of Bottas quick, or the head game will be immense.

It must suck much worse today to be Seb. Classic self destruct mode, as he seems to be getting good at.

Great to see Zak and Lando enjoying that podium so much. I hope it's one of more ot come.

And glad to see some faces pop back into the forums. Between the 'rona and the current state of world affairs and politics, I hope everyone is doing ok. I'd hate to find out that people are struggling, got sick, or got too wound up in the current stream of crap much of the world has been dealing with. As for me, I'm going to keep my computer Folding@Home, make sure I have some ammo on hand just in case, and hope that the younger generations find a way to fix past problems without making matters worse. I hope everyone stays safe, regardless of how that might apply.

Big Ben
5th July 2020, 22:06
Hiya Big Ben good to see you back to the fold. By the way you are still a rabid racist.

I suppose i still am. They should do better. Maybe they should paint Bottas black too. He's obscenely white. What can you do? I'm just a privileged white Romanian. I've never had to deal with prejudices from my white western white brothers.

zako85
5th July 2020, 23:45

Should have left enough room on the outside when exiting the corner. Albon was parallel to him. Moreover, from the replays you could clearly see Hamilton taking a trajectory different from Bottas who did stick to the inside of the turn longer. Hamilton's move looked like a slight understeer or an intentional move to squeeze Albon out.

Nitrodaze
6th July 2020, 00:13
Should have left enough room on the outside when exiting the corner. Albon was parallel to him. Moreover, from the replays you could clearly see Hamilton taking a trajectory different from Bottas who did stick to the inside of the turn longer. Hamilton's move looked like a slight understeer or an intentional move to squeeze Albon out.

Hamilton's move was not intentional. With Albon on the outside, he could not take a normal line through that corner as Bottas did. The trajectory for how he entered the corner forced him to where he ended up with Albon already in jeopardy at the apex of the corner as he could see that the Mercedes was going to end up where it did. It was Albo who hit Hamilton but Hamilton got punished, go figure.

With the aggressive style of racing that the racing director Masi advocates, giving a cars width is out of the question. Gloves off racing means give no quarter and snatch any patch of tarmac aggressively if you can.

journeyman racer
6th July 2020, 11:58
Hamilton warranted a penalty. Albon passed him, or was in the process of passing him, cleanly. Then was he in the sand.

The Norris move was dodgy, "Verstappen-like". He was never ahead at any stage and rode the kerb. I haven't seen another shot aside from onboard, but it now seems like a banzai move.

Masi is an impediment to F1. He worked at supercars, and those idiots confuse racing with ufc.

The release of the safety car for Russell's car was lame. But that's just typical of Masi.

The race between the MB drivers confused me. Has Hamilton ever complied with team orders that weren't in his favour?

N4D13
6th July 2020, 14:43
Regarding Hamilton's qualifying penalty, Masi has mentioned that the reason why the appeal changed was because Red Bull requested a review of the decision after footage from Hamilton's 360 cam was made available to them, and that evidence showed without a doubt that he should have known that there was a yellow flag, which inequivocally meant that he'd earned a penalty.

That said, it was fairly clumsy from the stewards not to have reviewed that footage earlier. I hope they'll learn from this and will review that first before issuing yellow flag penalties. Incidentally, do we know if all cars have these 360 cameras?

And I stand by what I said on Sunday morning about three-grid penalties for yellow flag infringements are a joke - either delete the lap or give them a much sterner drop, because with the midfield as tight as it is, a three-grid drop probably won't be enough to offset the improvement done in one single lap. For instance, in Q1 there was just a 0.161 difference between P5 and P12 and in Q2 it was 0.295 between P3 and P10. In either case an extra lap could have meant a 7 place gain, which means a 4 place net gain after the penalty. If the penalty doesn't offset the advantage gained illegally, the penalty is wrong.

N. Jones
6th July 2020, 14:54
Hamilton strikes again. Such a shame for both drivers.
I was wrong on McLaren, they look good.
Charles is the real deal.
I hope this is Vettel's last season.
I am not surprised at the amount of retirements. Next week should be better in that regard.

denkimi
6th July 2020, 19:12
And as soon as the 1-2 was in jeopardy they were flying again. There was nothing wrong with those cars.
then why was albon able to overtake hamilton?

there was definitely something wrong with the cars. if not, they would have both cruised to the finish with a 20s lead, since they were at least a second per lap faster than everybody else.

The Black Knight
6th July 2020, 20:23
then why was albon able to overtake hamilton?

there was definitely something wrong with the cars. if not, they would have both cruised to the finish with a 20s lead, since they were at least a second per lap faster than everybody else.

Because he was on a much better tire.

Bagwan
8th July 2020, 16:50
Mercedes is denying that the car was too hot because it was painted black , but I say black liveries matter .

Nitrodaze
9th July 2020, 12:31
Regarding Hamilton's qualifying penalty, Masi has mentioned that the reason why the appeal changed was because Red Bull requested a review of the decision after footage from Hamilton's 360 cam was made available to them, and that evidence showed without a doubt that he should have known that there was a yellow flag, which inequivocally meant that he'd earned a penalty.

That said, it was fairly clumsy from the stewards not to have reviewed that footage earlier. I hope they'll learn from this and will review that first before issuing yellow flag penalties. Incidentally, do we know if all cars have these 360 cameras?

Redbull's methods nowadays are ugly to say the least. How they are going about racing is just parthetic really.

Nitrodaze
9th July 2020, 12:34
I suppose i still am. They should do better. Maybe they should paint Bottas black too. He's obscenely white. What can you do? I'm just a privileged white Romanian. I've never had to deal with prejudices from my white western white brothers.

Sorry buddy, you are not white , if you were you would stone cold dead. You are various shades of pink. So try to at least show some intellectual depth.

Bagwan
9th July 2020, 13:28
Redbull's methods nowadays are ugly to say the least. How they are going about racing is just parthetic really.

The 360 degree footage is not available until the cars are back in and the info is downloaded and made available by the FIA , due to bandwidth issues .
Once the footage came out , Red Bull asked if the stewards had seen it .

That doesn't seem so sinister as to prompt words like "ugly" and "pathetic" .

N4D13
9th July 2020, 14:12
On top of what Bagwan already said, the fact remains, Hamilton broke the rules and if Red Bull had evidence of that, it was reasonable and well within their rights to request that the stewards reviewed the new evidence.

I'm sure there are many reasons to criticize Red Bull, but them asking to give a penalty to someone who broke the rules when one of their drivers recently got a penalty for the same offense is completely fair game.

Big Ben
11th July 2020, 20:32
The 360 degree footage is not available until the cars are back in and the info is downloaded and made available by the FIA , due to bandwidth issues .

The fan boys get upset easier.

Big Ben
11th July 2020, 20:34
Sorry buddy, you are not white , if you were you would stone cold dead. You are various shades of pink. So try to at least show some intellectual depth.

Go back to your bombastic posts and don't talk to me anymore, oh wise one

Nitrodaze
14th July 2020, 12:20

I can live with that fact. It just seems they complain and challenge other teams alot. I sort of notice they appear more so at the Redbull ring. So much so, such that l feel the stewards are abit terrified to rule against Redbull at the Redbull ring.

Nitrodaze
14th July 2020, 12:23
Go back to your bombastic posts and don't talk to me anymore, oh wise one

I shall take my various shade of pink self away from you ole white one.