PDA

View Full Version : Rediculous

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 11:33
"We don't care if you've been living here for the last 29 years, or the fact that you're a former West Indian international cricketer, if you haven't got an NVQ level 3 then then you can't teach cricket and will have to return home to Barbados" :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6644269.stm

A former West Indies cricketer has been told he may be deported to Barbados because he is not qualified to coach the sport at a Kent school.
Hartley Alleyne, 50, who also played for Kent, Buckinghamshire and Worcestershire, has worked at St Edmund's, Canterbury for two years.

But the Home Office has turned down his request for a work permit because he does not have an NVQ Level 3.

A Home Office spokesman said it was unable to comment on individual cases.

Mr Alleyne, who was born in Barbados, has lived in the UK for 29 years and is married with children.

raphael123
11th May 2007, 11:45
You mean you want him to be given special treatment?

There's a discussion on Paris Hilton, who looks likely to be going to jail, and everyone is saying she shouldn't be given special treatment. Are you saying this man should be given special treatment then?

R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 11:51
I'm not saying he should receive special treatment. What I am saying is that he has played cricket at the highest level, by far higher than any other NVQ Level 3 holder and has lived in this country for 29 years, paying his way all that time too.

And yet we will receive with open arms thousands and thousands whom offer the country nothing and spong off the state from day one.

MissDelSolitude
11th May 2007, 12:20
I'm not saying he should receive special treatment. What I am saying is that he has played cricket at the highest level, by far higher than any other NVQ Level 3 holder and has lived in this country for 29 years, paying his way all that time too.

And yet we will receive with open arms thousands and thousands whom offer the country nothing and spong off the state from day one.

Sorry if I'm being really stupid here... but an NVQ in anything in particular? or just ANY NVQ 3?

It's not special treatment, it's looking at the opportunity for someone to use his skills and experience in a positive way...and if he's been here for so long, as you say, paying his way...well it doesn't make sense to me when so many people are allowed to sponge off the government both people born here and those that come over. A lot of our lecturers didn't have teaching quals/etc. before they came to work at the College I work in...yet they're allowed to gain them whilst working...

I dunno...I'm confused...

GridGirl
11th May 2007, 13:28
What grade qualification is a NVQ 3 equal to, is it just A level standards?

The home office should place more emphasis on practical experience. I gained my professional accounting qualification a few years ago. I sailed through the exams as I can pretty much learn anything out of a book, but I've learnt more through practical experience. To be honest I actually think I've learnt miles more sinse I qualified than in the 3 years I spent studying.

Sounds a bit of a no brainer decision to me.

raphael123
11th May 2007, 14:05
Rules are rules, we can't one set of rules for the ordinary joe, and another to a well known cricketer.

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 14:09
we can't one

WE CAN'T ONE what? :confused:

raphael123
11th May 2007, 14:22
Rules are rules, we can't have one set of rules for the ordinary joe, and another to a well known cricketer.

Sorry, that was rediculous of me :rolleyes: :p :

Flat.tyres
11th May 2007, 15:16
I agree with the home office in that its reasonable to expect people to return home if they don't have valid leave to be in the UK. That sounds good to me.

I think this man should stop moaning and get himself the correct documentation to remain in this country and contributing in the positive way he has even if it means the employeer has to help him get his NVQ while doing "work experience"

Wish the Home Office would prioritise their time better so we get rid of the people that deserve to be kicked out first.

Sleeper
11th May 2007, 15:39
What surprises me is that shouldnt this man be considered over qualified?

oily oaf
11th May 2007, 17:11
Personally I think it's an absolute outrage!
I haven't got an NVQ3 either and not once has the Home Office offered to deport me to Barbados.
It strikes me there's one rule for Afro Caribbeann cricketers and quite another for greasy two bob mechanic scum like me :mad:

schmenke
11th May 2007, 17:22
Personally I think it's an absolute outrage!
I haven't got an NVQ3 either and not once has the Home Office offered to deport me to Barbados.
It strikes me there's one rule for Afro Caribbeann cricketers and quite another for greasy two bob mechanic scum like me :mad:

It seems as your extradition to the Iberian peninsula has failed also :mark: . Poor fella... Is there no place that will welcome you? :(

Daniel
11th May 2007, 20:14
I agree with Carl.

This country is up the creek. This man is here to do a job well and can probably do it better than anyone else available but because he doesn't have some pompous useless qualification he has to go home. Useless country! Nice people but useless country in so many respects.

I'm currently looking at having to go back to Australia to apply for a Visa to stay here even though Australia is part of the commonwealth, I'm employed, I pay tax and am not trying to better myself. Yet others can come here just because they're part of the EU :crazy:

Ian McC
11th May 2007, 20:18
Sounds like bollocks to me though it is not surprising, red tape and some idiot sitting in an office somewhere.

futuretiger9
13th May 2007, 09:13

Yes, but of course we are forgetting that if we simply judged people according to their ability, personality and aptitude to do a job, this government wouldn't have to bribe the voters by employing a vast army of arrogant overpaid bureaucrats to enforce its sinister agenda, and simultaneously bleed the taxpayer dry and create an outrageously bloated state.

You tell me who's better qualified to coach cricket to kids. A respected former professional cricketer with worldwide experience, or some uptight theorist with a fistful of meaningless certificates?

Nick The Flick
13th May 2007, 09:25
NQV- Doesn't that stand for Not Very Qualified?

Let him do the job. He's probably better at teaching cricket and earns more respect from the kids as he knows what he is doing. Far more so than somebody who can wave a certificate around, just because they took a multi-choice exam.