PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Spanish GP - Barcelona

Nitrodaze
9th May 2019, 06:54
http://www.automobilsport.com/uploads/_neustart20/f1/barcelona-circuit-de-catalunya.jpg

https://static.formula1.ferrari.com/imgresize-cache/f3467eeb4bdead968652e2365cdbcb6d.jpg

Back to the scene of winter testing where Ferrari sent a fearsome message of intent with a clear speed advantage over the rest of the field. Unfortunately, the actual races since the season kicked off in Australia has produced a surprisingly different story with Mercedes pulling out an impressive one two finishes over the four races that constitutes all races done so far.

Hence, we arrive in Barcelona with mixed emotions as the air is filled with various grapevines of the Barcelona track dropping out of the calendar in the near future. There is also murmurs of Ferrari turning up with an even more powerful engine due to fast tracked upgrades being delivered to Barcelona for this race.

Barcelona is a race Ferrari must win to get a toe into the championship fight which is slowly edgeing away into an uphill battle if Mercedes manage to repeat their magical feat with another one two finish. If this were to happen, most would formally write off Ferrari. But l suspect that Leclerc have a different idea on the matter. He has an agenda of his own to reclaim a win this weekend to make up for the lost opportunities in recent races. He would be the man to beat this weekend and if the Ferrari car can keep it together on the reliability front. It may be very hard for the Mercedes pair to beat Leclerc this weekend. It may also be the weekend that Vettel gets his mojo together to stamp his authority on the Ferrari charge against Mercedes.

Whatever the case, this Barcelona race may be the last F1 race that we shall see. Hence, we should make the most of this weekend.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/resize_d05hun8131.jpg

Nitrodaze
10th May 2019, 16:17
Bottas tops FP 1. Mercedes ahead of Ferrari.

Tazio
11th May 2019, 13:26
Quali dawgz! :dork:
Can anyone stop the Merc's? :wave:

Tazio
11th May 2019, 13:59
Ves Redbull beat both the Ferrari's in Q1

Tazio
11th May 2019, 14:29
Bottas whups up on "The Boss" again!

journeyman racer
11th May 2019, 14:45
Jesus, I'm starting to feel sorry for Hamilton fans. What are they going to do if this form keeps going?

6/10ths at Catalunya?

Ouch.

The Black Knight
11th May 2019, 14:45
Amazing lap from Bottas. I don’t remember a teammate ever beating Hamilton by nearly 7 tenths before. Mighty impressive.

Ferrari nowhere. What a disappointment they have shown themselves to be this year. At this rate they’ll be lucky to win a race this year.

Duncan
12th May 2019, 01:27
That was the weirdest qualifying session I've seen in a long time, and it seems to be down to the extremely narrow temperature window of this year's tyres. Hamilton was taking it very slow on his initial Q3 out lap, and clearly got it completely wrong and found that he had no grip on his subsequent hot lap. Then for the final hot laps, the track temperature had changed, and pretty much nobody was able to get it together. I can't remember a Q3 in recent years where the final hot laps weren't decisive (apart from rain...).

Nitrodaze
12th May 2019, 12:55
That was the weirdest qualifying session I've seen in a long time, and it seems to be down to the extremely narrow temperature window of this year's tyres. Hamilton was taking it very slow on his initial Q3 out lap, and clearly got it completely wrong and found that he had no grip on his subsequent hot lap. Then for the final hot laps, the track temperature had changed, and pretty much nobody was able to get it together. I can't remember a Q3 in recent years where the final hot laps weren't decisive (apart from rain...).

True, but Bottas must be getting under Hamilton's skin now. Bottas is just grabbing every opportunity he gets with both hands. Hamilton, like Vettel, has to step up and respond to the challenge. As it is looking, we are set for a big upset at the end of this season. With both multi world champions licking their wounds from the kicking received from their younger teammates.

But l would not write off Hamilton, he would ramp up as we go further in to the european races.

journeyman racer
12th May 2019, 13:04
The thing with Bottas lifting, it means Hamilton doesn't get top value for his performances. No favouritism throughout the weekend. In the last couple of years for instance, Hamilton himself might not have been at optimal level, but he still won or beat Bottas, or Bottas has a really bad weekend and it's easy for him.

Now, if he performs at an optimal level, he still might finish 2nd. He can try harder, but it might make it worse for him. When you're already performing at an optimal level, how much further can you go?

Tazio
12th May 2019, 13:31
'morning boyz! :wave:
Can anybody take it to the Merc's?
Go McNorris ! ;)

Tazio
12th May 2019, 13:41
Oh my the boss!

truefan72
12th May 2019, 13:59
Finally, albeit 4 laps late, Ferrari finally let leclerc pass vettel who was holding him up. The result...he is down over 5 secs to max. Ferrari too slow to react

truefan72
12th May 2019, 14:03
That renault can't match the mclaren from turn 2 onwards. Seems like sainz has the last laugh over being displaced by renault.

truefan72
12th May 2019, 14:21
Somebody needs to explain to me wtf ferrari strategy with leclerc is. Hard tires? Completely uneccessary. Everyone is probably gonna 2 stop on medium so give him the best strategy instead of this shaite. I've never seen a team handicap a driver like this. Pathetic

truefan72
12th May 2019, 14:50
Useless by torro rosso pit crew. Smh
Stroll proving once again why he is the worst driver on the grid

Tazio
12th May 2019, 15:18
Alright McBoss! :sailor:

truefan72
12th May 2019, 15:24
Alright McBoss! :sailor: yeah!!!

truefan72
12th May 2019, 15:26
Another 1-2 for mercedes. Can't wait for skyf1 and autosport to proclaim that Ferrari should dominate the next race. Lol

journeyman racer
12th May 2019, 15:37
Well, that's calmed down everyone a bit. Even truefan has decided to come out of hiding.

journeyman racer
12th May 2019, 15:49
So that's actually Hamilton's best start to the season after 5 races, but only because of the bonus FL point. Otherwise it's equal best along with 2015. Back then, he lead the championship to Rosberg 111-91. Now it's obviously 112-105.

So who's going to blink first?

What circumstance may break the sequence of 1-2 finishes?

The way the season is going. A single dnf (regardless of reason) may be an insurmountable lead to make up?

Sensational goal from Mahrez!

zako85
12th May 2019, 16:04
This should be a pretty sobering GP for Ferrari. After this race, or maybe a month later a most, the Italian press should explode calling for the head of a scapegoat, whoever that is. But in my humble opinion, the mistakes were made before this season. In particular, I don't get the firing of Maurizio Arrivabene. Under his lead, from 2014 on, Ferrari rose up from the ashes and became a challenger to the Mercedes team in 2017 and 2018. Why fire him now right before the 2019 season started? This was a poor decision.

The Black Knight
12th May 2019, 17:44
This should be a pretty sobering GP for Ferrari. After this race, or maybe a month later a most, the Italian press should explode calling for the head of a scapegoat, whoever that is. But in my humble opinion, the mistakes were made before this season. In particular, I don't get the firing of Maurizio Arrivabene. Under his lead, from 2014 on, Ferrari rose up from the ashes and became a challenger to the Mercedes team in 2017 and 2018. Why fire him now right before the 2019 season started? This was a poor decision.

A crazy decision alright but not too surprising that Italians would have such knee jerk reactions. Ferrari can forget about this year already. The gap to Mercedes was startling in Spain. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mercedes 1-2 in every race this season but I'm sure I'm wrong on that point and I hope that we have some sort of challenge from someone, even Max Verstappen as he looks the most likely.

Nitrodaze
12th May 2019, 20:15

It would be quite stupid for Ferrari to start firing anyone else at this point. They brought engine upgrades but the problem is on the chassis side. They have changed something that has messed up the overall aerodynamic characteristic of the car that worried everyone during winter testing. The Ferrari is losing a lot of speed in the corners and chicanes to Redbull and Mercedes. It is looking like Ferrari has gone down another dodgy development path like they did in 2018. The question is, can they find their way back out of it in good time to recover their performance?

I think it is too early to write off Ferrari. If they can find a work around to their problems, chances are that they may quickly get on level terms with the Mercedes pair.

What a great start by Hamilton and Vettel. It is also interesting that Lewis made an effort to pickup the fastest lap point as well. Max Verstapenn was brilliant today as well. Jumping ahead of the Ferraris that struggled to keep up with him over a whole lap. I was expecting something special from Leclerc at this race but it did not materialize this weekend. The Mercedes was not really pushed this weekend, they were not bothered at all. I think the Mercedes W10 is an under estimated car. It may have a straight line speed deficit to the Ferrari, but over a full lap, it is quicker than the Ferrari.

N. Jones
12th May 2019, 20:51
Gotta disagree - Ferrari are done. They have a clear lack of pace. This season is going to once again be between Hamilyon and Bottas.

Samouri
12th May 2019, 22:00
I hope that we have some sort of challenge from someone, even Max Verstappen as he looks the most likely.

Max might be able to challenge Mercedes in the next race at Monaco.

MRL
12th May 2019, 22:31
This was the worst race of the season so far for Ferrari. That whole race they were nowhere. The updates they brought to this race seemed to be useless. Also, what are people opinions on the future of motor sports. I have done this survey for a university report click the link and tell me what you think. https://forms.gle/e9RH37HzXUyfZEae8 Its only going take 1 minute to complete.

Samouri
12th May 2019, 22:58
Personally a happy day for me with a Lewis win, and also I was really impressed with Max's drive today, especially at the start. Max going into the first turn while describing it as being hectic, and decided then to back out of it. Showing some patience, which wouldn't have happened with Max earlier in his career. Drove a well paced race today to a well deserved third place.

N. Jones
13th May 2019, 15:41
Did the stewards lay any blame on the Stroll-Norris crash?

Nitrodaze
13th May 2019, 16:21
I think most of us wondered if Redbull would be able to put one their cars on the podium this season with the Honda engine. They have done it at this race, l am sure the Redbull chassis is flattering the Honda engine to be better than it actually is. That said, it is very clear that the Honda engine has leapfrog the Renault engine on the performance front. One could argue that chassis superiority has accounted for that. There is no way to say if the Renault engine in the Redbull would not produce the same result. Especially since most the performance gains are in the corners and not on the straights. Thus, aero generated performances.

The rate of progression of the Honda engine would suggest that Honda could be very troublesome for Mercedes and Ferrari before 2021. One wonders if Verstapenn would be patient enough to wait till 2021 to mount a proper championship challenge. If these two things can be managed, to somehow be jointly present by 2021, there is a great chance that the next domination spur could be with Redbull and Honda.

Nitrodaze
13th May 2019, 16:40
I watched a youtube podcast recently that suggested that Ricciado was duped into signing for Renault. One could have made the same statement about Hamilton's first year at Mercedes. Though, That particular Mercedes car was showing more signs of a growth spur compared to the 2019 Renault car. At the moment, Renault is the laughing stock of the paddock with their engine reliability issues and chassis that is not looking like it has made the apropriate step forward to be in that coveted fourth best team position.

The teams that we thought should be in that position are also struggling with one thing or the other. Haas for instance have a Tyre gremlin that seem to come and go on race day. Torro Ross is not consistent for some reason. And Alfa Romeo, seem to be dealing with some sort of issue as well. As it stands at the moment, Mclaren has stepped up to the fourth place position. But can they hang on to it till Abu Dhabi?

The Black Knight
14th May 2019, 06:31
Ricciardo made his decision and he’s going to have to live with it. He has made it clear on a number of occasions that he will go where the money is big because he has some undeserved sense of entitlement to be earning the same amount of money as drivers whom have won WDC’s. I’ve heard Mercedes were willing to take him but that he wouldn’t entertain a move to any team for less than €33 million and they wouldn’t pay him that when he wasn’t WDC. He’s a money boy.

And he also stated very clearly that his decision was motivated by a deep desire for change.

I think a third factor for him moving was he knew he couldn’t live with Max any longer.

There is no secret duping going on with his move to Renault and any suggestion otherwise is just piss talk.

It has been clear the Renault team is going nowhere for a longtime now and he simply didn’t care. So tough on Danny but he’ll have to suffer the consequences of his actions and greed.

journeyman racer
14th May 2019, 09:10
You're one of the most clueless people I've experienced on the web. You and a few of the deranged Hamilton fanboys you see on the F1 fb page.

There's no underserved sense of entitlement. Ricciardo is a driver of the highest calibre, and everyone knows that. He's either the best or marginally the 2nd best driver overall since the turbos have come out (Hamilton has had his stats padded due to having a better car than him for all that time). That's what bother you about him, he's a genuine threat had he been in the same car as Hamilton (It must be hard having to bite your tongue over Bottas atm?)

As far as knowing he could live with Verstappen any longer, that's more horse ****. (It may be difficult living with a team favouring the Verstappen though?)

Fun fact about 2018. In the races they both finished, so that's accounting for mechanical problems and dnfs through driver error (their own or at the effect of others), Ricciardo outscored Verstappen 158-141.

You heard MB were willing to take him? That's BS as well, because they weren't getting rid of Bottas regardless of how his performances were perceived last year.

I watched a youtube podcast recently that suggested that Ricciado was duped into signing for Renault. One could have made the same statement about Hamilton's first year at Mercedes. Though, That particular Mercedes car was showing more signs of a growth spur compared to the 2019 Renault car. At the moment, Renault is the laughing stock of the paddock with their engine reliability issues and chassis that is not looking like it has made the apropriate step forward to be in that coveted fourth best team position.

The teams that we thought should be in that position are also struggling with one thing or the other. Haas for instance have a Tyre gremlin that seem to come and go on race day. Torro Ross is not consistent for some reason. And Alfa Romeo, seem to be having dealing with some sort of issue as well. As it stands at the moment, Mclaren has stepped up to the fourth place position. But can they hang on to it till Abu Dhabi?
Ricciardo was duped into signing for a factory team and be the one of the highest paid drivers? I don't think so.

No one could've made the same statement about MB. They were the only ones that had built a hybrid turbo and were always going to be the best team (Because of that, they were also going to stop supporting McLaren). Even if F1 stuch with the normally aspirated engines, they would've been challenging for the title in 2014.

The Black Knight
14th May 2019, 09:59
Ricciardo was in negotiations with Mercedes last year and the reason contract negotiations went south was because of his salary demands. Ricciardo came out to the media then stating that he never really felt that Mercedes were serious about negotiations but Mercedes were considering replacing him for Bottas. It’s his own fault he is not in a MB right now and due to money. Tough on poor greedy Danny.

And whether he is of the highest calibre driver or not is irrelevant - without a WDC he doesn’t deserve to be paid as much as a WDC- but his undeserved sense of entitlement and greed brought him to Renault due to money where, I suspect, his career is now going to plummet and he’ll eventually leave F1 with maybe one or two podiums more than he has now. No top team will take him and meet his salary demands without a WDC to his name.

I’m afraid you misread the Bottas situation - I like Bottas and would be delighted to see him put it up to the boss. Unlike you though, I’m not as clueless and willing (or desperate) to simply judge him capable of a season long title challenge just because he finally managed some good results in a row. I guess that explains why you like Ricciardo though, 7 race wins and he’s a genius even though his teammate buried him lol.

truefan72
14th May 2019, 15:56
I was expecting something special from Leclerc at this race but it did not materialize this weekend.
Well. once again the strategy from the race engineers did him no favors. P3 was on the cards for him if they had let him get bye vettel sooner.
Then they inexplicably put him on hards instead of mediums. After the safety car, i wouldn't be surprised if they told him to hold station.
to be fair...they also compromised Vettel's race too.

http://dsev.com/img/f1meme.jpg

Nitrodaze
20th May 2019, 15:52
You're one of the most clueless people I've experienced on the web. You and a few of the deranged Hamilton fanboys you see on the F1 fb page.

There's no underserved sense of entitlement. Ricciardo is a driver of the highest calibre, and everyone knows that. He's either the best or marginally the 2nd best driver overall since the turbos have come out (Hamilton has had his stats padded due to having a better car than him for all that time). That's what bother you about him, he's a genuine threat had he been in the same car as Hamilton (It must be hard having to bite your tongue over Bottas atm?)

As far as knowing he could live with Verstappen any longer, that's more horse ****. (It may be difficult living with a team favouring the Verstappen though?)

Fun fact about 2018. In the races they both finished, so that's accounting for mechanical problems and dnfs through driver error (their own or at the effect of others), Ricciardo outscored Verstappen 158-141.

You heard MB were willing to take him? That's BS as well, because they weren't getting rid of Bottas regardless of how his performances were perceived last year.

Ricciardo was duped into signing for a factory team and be the one of the highest paid drivers? I don't think so.

No one could've made the same statement about MB. They were the only ones that had built a hybrid turbo and were always going to be the best team (Because of that, they were also going to stop supporting McLaren). Even if F1 stuch with the normally aspirated engines, they would've been challenging for the title in 2014.

Even a Ricciado fanboy like yourself would admit Renault has under-delivered to the promise they made to Ricciado. Renault has fallen off their progression curve by a steep margin. Ricciado looks rattled and ordinary in the Renault car. And we know he is capable of much more. It also goes to show how under estimated Hulkenburg is as a driver.

Can Renault recover? Probably! But their package seem weak. The engine has become the third best engine behind the much criticized Honda engine. Their chassis seem to have a terminal flaw that makes it difficult to get the most out of their own engine. I have a feeling they would write off this season and try again in 2020. I also have a feeling that Ricciado would be jumping ship at the earliest opportunity. Where to, remain to be seen. Mercedes and Ferrari may be out of the question. A Redbull return may be very unlikely but remotely possible if Gasly fails to get to Verstapenn's pace by the end of the season.

Unfortunately, it is looking like Ricciado made a bad call. Unless Renault finds something that takes them two steps forward.

journeyman racer
26th May 2019, 09:29
Even a Ricciado fanboy like yourself would admit Renault has under-delivered to the promise they made to Ricciado. Renault has fallen off their progression curve by a steep margin. Ricciado looks rattled and ordinary in the Renault car. And we know he is capable of much more. It also goes to show how under estimated Hulkenburg is as a driver.
What were you expecting from Ricciardo and Renault this year?

From Ricciardo, I would've expected at least 3 5-8th place finishes by now and even qualifying stats.

He's made errors that have been costly (when he hadn't before). It's not good for the moment, but it won't matter if he gets on a roll with points finishes later in the season.

Head to head against Hulkenberg, he's done better than I expected. But it won't matter if Hulkenberg gets on a roll later in the season.

Unfortunately, it is looking like Ricciado made a bad call. Unless Renault finds something that takes them two steps forward.
I'm not sure about TBK's post is an accurate (But it is intriguing). When you move teams, ideally you'd move up. But I think in Ricciardo's case, moving down to Renault is still better than staying at RB. I think he's backing himself to increase his reputation by the end of this current contract.

I'll respond to TBK's post later, once I do some searching.

Nitrodaze
26th May 2019, 09:44
But I think in Ricciardo's case, moving down to Renault is still better than staying at RB. I think he's backing himself to increase his reputation by the end of this current contract.

Based on the form of Renault, I think Ricciado should have stayed in Redbull where he had the car to showcase his talent for the 2021 driver market. As it stands in Renault, he is looking very second rate due to a second rate car.

But l hear you, Ricciado is optimisitic, but that is based on a deep hope that Renault can come good on their promise to him. I can't see it in 2019, but there is a chance they could pull it together in 2020.

journeyman racer
26th May 2019, 10:53
If he stays at Renault. It's not about Verstappen, cos he can get Verstappen. It's about the slightest hint of RB favouring Verstappen, which affects results.

If he just does a little bit better than what Renault did previously, that'll still make him look good. Particularly if the other RB doesn't match Verstappen.