PDA

View Full Version : MCLExtreme - A perspective towards future F1 cars

Nitrodaze
23rd January 2019, 16:27
https://e1.365dm.com/19/01/768x432/skysports-mclaren-concept-car_4554712.png?20190123143108

How cool is this? Mclaren really out it out there with what l can only describe as the most daring and impressive speculation of what future 2050 F1 cars might look like.

https://e2.365dm.com/19/01/768x432/skysports-mclaren-concept-car_4554715.png?20190123143239

Tazio
24th January 2019, 01:17
They'ii still be slow!:rolleyes::dork:

N. Jones
24th January 2019, 16:39
:laugh:

zako85
25th January 2019, 11:58
How cool is this? Mclaren really out it out there with what l can only describe as the most daring and impressive speculation of what future 2050 F1 cars might look like.

This looks like a car that Caterpillar would design today.

Nitrodaze
28th January 2019, 19:57
They'ii still be slow!:rolleyes::dork:

I must admit, l can't see how any team would do 2 sec wheel changes at pitstops with the rear design. I am guessing the vanes over the rear tyres fold upwards to allow access the the hub of the rear wheel. Even so, that is one second gone, two seconds to replace the tyres and one to bring the thing back down.

It is an interesting idea, we should appreciate these sort of efforts that try to push the envelop. There are some interesting concepts in the design, it looks like the sort of car that would allow very close racing. The cockpit design which completely surrounds the drive definitely looks more chic than the current monstrosity.

The flaps begin to make sense when you think of them as a device to prevent puncture of the rear tyres during close quarter racing. The front wing also have no exposed sharp edges which could cause damage to other cars.

Firstgear
28th January 2019, 21:43
I don't think they are too worried about 2 sec wheel changes, as the article mentions 'self-healing tyres'. Other features include top speeds of 500kph (so it won't be slow), AI co-pilot (R2-D2?) and high banking (up walls like the old scalectrix)
https://www.pitpass.com/63802/McLarens-vision-for-F1-2050

Tazio
29th January 2019, 01:54
I must admit, l can't see how any team would do 2 sec wheel changes at pitstops with the rear design. I am guessing the vanes over the rear tyres fold upwards to allow access the the hub of the rear wheel. Even so, that is one second gone, two seconds to replace the tyres and one to bring the thing back down.

It is an interesting idea, we should appreciate these sort of efforts that try to push the envelop. There are some interesting concepts in the design, it looks like the sort of car that would allow very close racing. The cockpit design which completely surrounds the drive definitely looks more chic than the current monstrosity.

The flaps begin to make sense when you think of them as a device to prevent puncture of the rear tyres during close quarter racing. The front wing also have no exposed sharp edges which could cause damage to other cars.
I'm sorry, I meant they will still be slower!;)