PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] Tour de Corse 2019

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

lnvs
4th April 2019, 20:38
Tyre or rim. If you run into a hole which most of the crews had "don't cut" it's drivers fault. Not team issues. :rolleyes:

mknight
4th April 2019, 22:18
Tyre or rim. If you run into a hole which most of the crews had "don't cut" it's drivers fault. Not team issues. :rolleyes:

Exactly, see the onboards on WRC+ or the summary analysis I did here:
https://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?40105-WRC-Tour-de-Corse-2019&p=1213680&viewfull=1#post1213680

Yes it is possible/likely that the rim broke first, which means their rims are "softer" than other parts of the car. But it's not like all crews cut, most did not cut at all (including Meeke) and some cut (seemingly) much less.

It's a bit like the discussion when 2 Hyundais ripped off wheels on same spot in Spain in 2017 while Fiesta (Tanak I think) only bend the rim quite badly (could have easily been puncture). Since the cut looked similar for those 3 cars it showed that Hyundai suspension was the weakest part, while for Ford the rim was weaker. But other crews (6?) did not cut as much as the mentioned cars and got no issues at all.

So it's not like Tanak and Latvala drove exactly the same way like others now in Corsica and "weak rims" failed them. No, they cut more than all others (Latvala especially) and the rims were the first things to break.

AnttiL
5th April 2019, 08:12
not action shots... driver have headsets on.

Seems to be an ongoing trend, to get shots of the cars on liaison in amazing landscapes. For example there's been shots of the cars going to tunnels in Tour de Corse, but the route didn't have any.

SubaruNorway
5th April 2019, 08:50
Seems to be an ongoing trend, to get shots of the cars on liaison in amazing landscapes. For example there's been shots of the cars going to tunnels in Tour de Corse, but the route didn't have any.

Maybe us making video's should start doing it as well and speed the clips up...

N.O.T
5th April 2019, 09:07

they are "pros" man... what do you expect ? to know what the sport is all about ?

they are laughable idiots at best...

maybe 1-2% out of those have any idea about rallying.

MartijnS
5th April 2019, 09:35
True, I think 70% of all shots of Corsica I've seen from the pros is from liaison. So stupid.

CWJ
5th April 2019, 10:23
For me the idiot is the one far back home at the keybords :) The 10% "pros" have a passion, need a variable portfolio for their costumers and make money out of a good time in a cool world.

N.O.T
5th April 2019, 18:01
For me the idiot is the one far back home at the keybords :) The 10% "pros" have a passion, need a variable portfolio for their costumers and make money out of a good time in a cool world.

"make money"

lol...

MartijnS
5th April 2019, 21:33

You don't have any passion when you are on a liaison for half the weekend..

N.O.T
5th April 2019, 22:13
You don't have any passion when you are on a liaison for half the weekend..

he is welsh... no need to take him seriously... his wife probably gives him limited time on the internet so he rants to relieve pressure...

Japé
6th April 2019, 07:11
So it's not like Tanak and Latvala drove exactly the same way like others now in Corsica and "weak rims" failed them. No, they cut more than all others (Latvala especially) and the rims were the first things to break.

Maybe it was driver error this time, but still Tanak and Latvala have probably kept their driving style similar in previous years and did we ever saw rim breaks when they were driving with Polo / Fiesta? They drive as they are used to understand that should be ok for car (rims) to handle.

AnttiL
6th April 2019, 07:36
Maybe it was driver error this time, but still Tanak and Latvala have probably kept their driving style similar in previous years and did we ever saw rim breaks when they were driving with Polo / Fiesta? They drive as they are used to understand that should be ok for car (rims) to handle.

We don't have to go further than last year and the one before. The only Toyota puncture we saw was Lappi in 2018 and he went wide into a curb.

lnvs
8th April 2019, 09:37
We don't have to go further than last year and the one before. The only Toyota puncture we saw was Lappi in 2018 and he went wide into a curb.+ Only from tarmac 2018: In Monte Lappi had one. In Catalunya Latvala had one (hit guard rail) also Tänak had one.

AnttiL
8th April 2019, 10:31
+ Only from tarmac 2018: In Monte Lappi had one. In Catalunya Latvala had one (hit guard rail) also Tänak had one.

Lappi also had an off in Monte. Tänak in Catalunya 2018 was on the monsoon tyres which have a higher puncture risk?

TypeR
9th April 2019, 14:38
Monsoon tyre? He had softs and they have thinner sidewall, but still it was the rim that broke..

Tarmop
9th April 2019, 15:46
It was the rim in Catalunya yes, but it was also that new raintyre, introduced around and succesfully used by Tänak in ADAC 2017.

EstWRC
13th April 2019, 05:45
my last 2 cents about this rim/tyre problem of Toyota

Tänaks father says its the rim that breaks first and then causes the puncture.

Gustav Kruuda was also speculating that it may not only be the rim, but the whole package or design of suspension, rim and etc, which doesnt soften the hard hits from cuts and so on. any thoughts on that Mirek, dimviii or other guys here who know better? Sorry for my bad explanation here, im not the best at this but i think you get what he is thinking.

AnttiL
13th April 2019, 13:34
It was the rim in Catalunya yes, but it was also that new raintyre, introduced around and succesfully used by Tänak in ADAC 2017.

I forgot to reply to this but do I remember correctly that the rain tyre has a higher puncture risk? The puncture also happened on the loop where the most rainy stage was cancelled.

Tarmop
13th April 2019, 13:59
I forgot to reply to this but do I remember correctly that the rain tyre has a higher puncture risk? The puncture also happened on the loop where the most rainy stage was cancelled.

Yes, i believe you were correct.

They were aiming for the whole loop, especially the first one (cancelled, a lot of talks again from Mäkinen), did well on the second one and punctured/broke the rim on the third one.