PDA

View Full Version : WRC2 Pro & WRC2 2019

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

PLuto
11th July 2019, 13:15
Lukyanuk didn’t go very well in Latvia which is also a high speed gravel event (although not with so many jumps).

I think this was mainly because of big pressure to him not to crash the car and score some points...

Jarek Z
11th July 2019, 18:54
Well, I shouldn´t have to explain for an experienced rallyfan how much you need to practice before you get the speed. No one, I say no one have done so few rallies like Emil did, and yet belongs to the top.

So you actually say that Emil Bergkvist doesn't have the speed, i.e. he isn't fast enough to compete at the level of WRC?

Rallyper
12th July 2019, 09:22
So you actually say that Emil Bergkvist doesn't have the speed, i.e. he isn't fast enough to compete at the level of WRC?

It wasn´t me saying that.

He has speed for top level, but as you probably know, to keep the speed up, you need to practice regularly. And Emil doesn´t get occasions to do that, nor in rallies or on PETs. Jumping in now and the and still get 2nd in WRC2 is to me quite amazing.

Got it now?

Jarek Z
12th July 2019, 09:56
Got it now?

Sure!

Jarek Z
12th July 2019, 09:59
Nikolay Gryazin compares WRC2 with ERC:
“In the ERC you don’t have so much damaged roads, you just take the line and feel the grip. In the world championship you also need to have tactics. I’m just trying to do my best, to understand when I can drive faster.”

More at https://www.fiaerc.com/gryazin-returns-to-take-up-erc-prize-drives/

deephouse
12th July 2019, 14:36
Nikolay Gryazin compares WRC2 with ERC:
“In the ERC you don’t have so much damaged roads, you just take the line and feel the grip. In the world championship you also need to have tactics. I’m just trying to do my best, to understand when I can drive faster.”

More at https://www.fiaerc.com/gryazin-returns-to-take-up-erc-prize-drives/

Who would've thought that WRC is harder...

RS
12th July 2019, 14:39

You can also look at it in another way. Because of less damaged roads and shorter rallies, ERC (formerly IRC) requires flat out driving a lot of the time, which is perhaps why in the past it has been quite good at producing or helping talented drivers progress.

Mirek
12th July 2019, 15:07

That is not exactly what he said. His statement is following the well known fact that in WRC especially in lower classes it's not the pure speed which wins the events and even less the championships. We have had quite many champions in the WRC supporting championships who were pretty far from being the fastest.

IRC/ERC was much more about the speed alone and that is also the reason why more drivers got to the WRC seat from IRC/ERC than from WRC2/SWRC/PWRC.

pantealex
14th July 2019, 19:03
It wasn´t me saying that.

He has speed for top level, but as you probably know, to keep the speed up, you need to practice regularly. And Emil doesn´t get occasions to do that, nor in rallies or on PETs. Jumping in now and the and still get 2nd in WRC2 is to me quite amazing.

Got it now?

Emil is only WRC2 driver who owns R5
Emil does not test or drive rallies...

What ???

He is fast.
But all other things he and his "team" are doing wrong.

Quite many other Swedish drivers have sponsors...

He has free fuel, tyres and entryfees this year, next year he must find money for those also. It´s going to be even more difficult for him in 2020.

mousti
14th July 2019, 20:49

What ???

He is fast.

He has free fuel, tyres and entryfees this year, next year he must find money for those also. It´s going to be even more difficult for him in 2020.Don't think he even really owns it because "his team" J-Motorsport rents out that car to other drivers. But the reason about that the owner of that team Serderidis has backed him for years already.. And without him we wouldn't probably have seen Emil for years competing on that level..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6013 met Tapatalk

Rallyper
15th July 2019, 09:08

What ???

He is fast.

He has free fuel, tyres and entryfees this year, next year he must find money for those also. It´s going to be even more difficult for him in 2020.

He doesn´t own his R5.
Tests or PETs and additional services before and under WRC2 rallies are big costs hired from MSport. Needs funding that is hard to find in Sweden. It´s just like that.

(As rumours said - MSport requires 29000 Euros only for Rally Finland from JWRC drivers... Count what maybe WRC2 requires...)

Tarmop
15th July 2019, 16:23
Well, the prize of winning JWRC in 2018 was a Fiesta R5 to keep+ entry, fuel, tyres for 2019 WRC2. So, he has sold it?

Rallyper
15th July 2019, 16:55
Well, the prize of winning JWRC in 2018 was a Fiesta R5 to keep+ entry, fuel, tyres for 2019 WRC2. So, he has sold it?

I´ve got the whole picture. And I said he doesn´t own it. He won it, yes. And he has free tyres, entry fees and fuel. True. But there are much more costs to run car in WRC2.

Tarmop
15th July 2019, 17:04
Well ofc it doesn`t run on love, but this also doesn`t mean, that he can`t own it. That is what i`m curious about,

Rallyper
15th July 2019, 17:51
Well ofc it doesn`t run on love, but this also doesn`t mean, that he can`t own it. That is what i`m curious about,

As said he won it, but doesn´t own it today.

pantealex
28th July 2019, 15:16
Henning Solberg is using brand new (TokSport) Fabia EVO in Finland

Loubet is also using Fabia EVO in Finland

Sulland
2nd August 2019, 09:55
So far the Evo seems to be a better upgrade, but lets see after a few months if the picture still looks the same?

Mirek
3rd August 2019, 18:02
I can see that even the official WRC2 videos show combined standings for WRC2 and WRC Pro. What a farce.

AnttiL
3rd August 2019, 19:00
I can see that even the official WRC2 videos show combined standings for WRC2 and WRC Pro. What a farce.

All year they’ve done that

Mirek
3rd August 2019, 19:04
All year they’ve done that

ok, I haven't watched reviews to be honest, only live stages...

mknight
3rd August 2019, 19:11
You should watch reviews as well (especially the ones after each day). I stopped watching them when alllive came but got back a few rallies ago. They often have very nice footage that just doesn't make it to allive, not only onboards but also from the side of the road.

KKS
3rd August 2019, 19:29
cuz live cameras still to expensive, so they dropped cameraman invasion to stages and only closer to night bring back camera data

Andre Oliveira
5th August 2019, 10:38
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBMtUW8W4AIGyH9?format=jpg&name=medium

Rally Hokkaido
5th August 2019, 12:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBMtUW8W4AIGyH9?format=jpg&name=medium

He has split with MRF Tyres, so I believe they no longer have plans to register as a WRC2 tyre supplier. He has signed with rival Indian tyre maker, JK Tyres, but AFAIK they don't produce rally tyres. Yellow with red & black stripes are their corporate colours.

Jarek Z
6th August 2019, 17:51
Kajto announced that he will be back in WRC2 in Rally Deutschland (August 22). His car remains unknown. This decision will be made after additional test session.

Andre Oliveira
6th August 2019, 21:01
Hope Fiesta R5 MK2 :)

pucky54
6th August 2019, 21:04
Kajto announced that he will be back in WRC2 in Rally Deutschland (August 22). His car remains unknown. This decision will be made after additional test session.

"His" BRR Polo is sold! ;) ;)

Jarek Z
6th August 2019, 22:26

Why? Is it better than Fabia?

Andre Oliveira
6th August 2019, 22:31
I want see good driver in Fiesta R5 MK2 soon. To prove the value of car. More drivers, more feedback

Mirek
7th August 2019, 08:44
I don't think that Kajto wants to spend his sponsor's money on development of another new car. I guess he learnt something with the Polo this year.

deephouse
7th August 2019, 11:07
I don't think that Kajto wants to spend his sponsor's money on development of another new car. I guess he learnt something with the Polo this year.

I think he is trying too much. He is no match to WRC level and that's it.

Mirek
7th August 2019, 11:17
I think he is trying too much. He is no match to WRC level and that's it.

So the car rear axle broke apart the very same way as to several others because of his driving? His power steering repeatedly failed because of his driving and not because of the same reason like to many other Polo users? Come on...

steve.mandzij
7th August 2019, 12:10
So the car rear axle broke apart the very same way as to several others because of his driving? His power steering repeatedly failed because of his driving and not because of the same reason like to many other Polo users? Come on...I'm pretty sure he means that Kajto isn't quick enough to battle with the WRC2 guys.

Mirek
7th August 2019, 12:27
Despite all those problems he is 7th of 37 WRC2 registered drivers (two podiums of three starts). How is that not fast enough? Only top three can start or what? Those thirty behind are a garbage or what?

deephouse
7th August 2019, 14:17
Despite all those problems he is 7th of 37 WRC2 registered drivers (two podiums of three starts). How is that not fast enough? Only top three can start or what? Those thirty behind are a garbage or what?

Tell me who of all of those wrc2 drivers will be in the wrc top league anytime soon? I'm sure every manu is fighting for Kajto...

Mirek
7th August 2019, 14:25
Tell me who of all of those wrc2 drivers will be in the wrc top league anytime soon? I'm sure every manu is fighting for Kajto...

Do me a favor and don't spin Your BS like if that was something I said. Nobody ever claimed what you argue about.

pantealex
7th August 2019, 15:13

37 drivers have scored points, 61 different drivers have entered WRC2 this year.

You are right, Kajto is one of top drivers.

Rallyper
7th August 2019, 16:13
What´s all this about Kajto? top three twice, nothing more. Emil B is even higher at best placed... ;)

cali
7th August 2019, 16:39
What´s all this about Kajto? top three twice, nothing more. Emil B is even higher at best placed... ;)Oh yes Emil B. :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

pantealex
7th August 2019, 17:00
What´s all this about Kajto? top three twice, nothing more. Emil B is even higher at best placed... ;)

and both Katsuta and Heller have 1st place ;)

Rallyper
7th August 2019, 17:03

Not in 2019 I reccon... but Emil has 2nd... :)

AnttiL
7th August 2019, 17:04

Argentina and Chile

pantealex
7th August 2019, 17:15
but Emil has 2nd... :)

Yes, Lindholm was 2nd in Sweden ;)

Mirek
7th August 2019, 17:21
The whole argument of Kajto not being fast enough to appeal to the WRC manufacturers is ridiculous. There is exactly one guy who the WRC manufacturers are interested in right now. In the whole WRC2 and Pro. That's it.

Rallyper
7th August 2019, 17:46
Argentina and Chile

Tell me more?
Kajto retired in Argentina with suspension failure.
Chile?

Rallyper
7th August 2019, 17:46
The whole argument of Kajto not being fast enough to appeal to the WRC manufacturers is ridiculous. There is exactly one guy who the WRC manufacturers are interested in right now. In the whole WRC2 and Pro. That's it.

And that man is Kajto? :) :)

Jarek Z
7th August 2019, 18:29
Kajto is testing Volkswagen Polo R5 today:
https://www.facebook.com/KajetanKajetanowicz/videos/vb.125298694170074/365372410804256/?type=2&theater

Myrvold
7th August 2019, 19:30
And that man is Kajto? :) :)

If anything, based on the number of retirements and crashes, any team struggling to get 2 cars finishing events should get Kopecky. Might not win, but he'll likely not crash either :D

Jarek Z
9th August 2019, 19:14

Sorry, Kajto's decision is different:
https://pl.motorsport.com/wrc/news/kajetanowicz-zgloszony-w-polo/4511096/?nrt=193

AnttiL
9th August 2019, 19:46

Argentina and Chile

Tell me more?
Kajto retired in Argentina with suspension failure.
Chile?

I thought Katsuta and Heller were in question.

Jarek Z
20th August 2019, 09:15
After his hard crash on Barum Rally Gryazin pulls out his entry for Rally Turkey. They won't fix the crashed car.
So Gryazin's next events are Rallye Deutschland and then Wales Rally GB:
https://gryazin.com/gryazin_will_miss_wrc_turkey

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.fiaerc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/GryazinSS1-e1566115461589.jpeg

Mirek
20th August 2019, 10:48
IMHO this shell is worth of scrap metal.

mknight
20th August 2019, 17:23
Lot of interesting stuff to look forward to this weekend:

- will Rovanpera be able to fight with Kopecky also here? (Kopecky already started to talk about possible team orders btw)
- Østberg never really showed top speed on tarmac, how will he perform in this competition?
- Camilli had good speed here before, so will new Fiesta (finally) show some speed?
- Lefebvre probably has one of his last chances to show that he is fast against good competition and have some hope for a (paid) future

Jarek Z
25th August 2019, 17:05
Lot of interesting stuff to look forward to this weekend:

The rally is over so it's time for some answers :)

- will Rovanpera be able to fight with Kopecky also here?

No. Rovanpera went off the road on stage 8, lost over 4 minutes and finished over 3 minutes behind Kopecky. Kopecky is the winner of WRC2 Pro.

- Østberg never really showed top speed on tarmac, how will he perform in this competition?

Ostberg hasn't shown much speed also in Germany. He finished 4th (last) in WRC2 Pro.

- Camilli had good speed here before, so will new Fiesta (finally) show some speed?

Hmm... I don't know. On the one hand Camilli and the new Festa finished second in WRC2 Pro, just 1 minute behind Kopecky, but on the other hand it was only because of Rovanpera's mistake on SS8...

- Lefebvre probably has one of his last chances to show that he is fast against good competition and have some hope for a (paid) future

I'm afraid that Lefebvre hasn't taken advantage of this chance. On the one hand he has shown that he is fast against good competition (he was leading WRC2 until SS9), but on the other hand he crashed again and lost the rally...

Jarek Z
25th August 2019, 17:15
Interesting fact - Nikolay Gryazin, strongly criticized for his constant crashes in the Barum Rally thread (see https://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?40287-Barum-Czech-Rally-Zl%EDn-2019/page16), is the new leader of WRC2:

1 Nikolay Gryazin (73)
2 Benito Guerra (69)
3 Pierre-Louis Loubet (63)
4 Ole Christian Veiby (50)
5 Kajetan Kajetanowicz (48).

AnttiL
25th August 2019, 17:38
Interesting fact - Nikolay Gryazin, strongly criticized for his constant crashes in the Barum Rally thread (see https://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?40287-Barum-Czech-Rally-Zl%EDn-2019/page16), is the new leader of WRC2:

1 Nikolay Gryazin (73)
2 Benito Guerra (69)
3 Pierre-Louis Loubet (63)
4 Ole Christian Veiby (50)
5 Kajetan Kajetanowicz (48).

Number of rallies done:
Gryazin 6
Guerra 4
Loubet 4
Veiby 5
Kajetanowicz 4

RS
25th August 2019, 18:03
The whole WRC2/Pro class is a joke really.. not the quality of drivers because there are some good ones but the way whole thing works, or rather doesn’t.

Gryazin in Germany was obviously under strict instructions to finish, which he proved capable of doing. But he was much slower in the process.

Ostberg’s pace wasn’t that bad actually but his punctures ruined things for him. Camilli also had some better stages but I think all that needs to be considered in the context of Kalle’s crash, and Kopecky subsequently cruising.

mknight
25th August 2019, 19:42
Jarek you just look on how people finish almost completely ignoring the pace.

- Rovanpera was much quicker than expected relative to Kopecky imo, how "over" the limit he was is obviously another question
- Østberg was kind of ok ish, not bad not great, especially considering his tarmac experience and speed in other cars
- Camilli was actually quite good imo, certainly much better than expected after Finland
- Lefebvre had good speed which was a bit surprising, but since he didn't finish I don't think teams bosses will suddenly start calling him

RS
25th August 2019, 20:13
What were Camilli’s penalties about?

It looks like Kopecky did his comfortable pace and waited for others to screw up (he did that in Barum too). Not the most exciting way but it often works..

Rally Power
25th August 2019, 21:43
The whole WRC2/Pro class is a joke really.. not the quality of drivers because there are some good ones but the way whole thing works, or rather doesn’t.

+1. Really hoping the FIA gets back to a single WRC2 category next year as it's pretty clear the series are now less competitive than before the split; besides, in some cases the fastests private drivers (mainly Polo users) can beat Citroen or Ford works drivers and even match, here and there, Rovanpera or Kopecky.

Got Mail
26th August 2019, 08:52
Great result for BRR with a 1 2 3 in WRC2.

Mirek
26th August 2019, 09:02
It looks like Kopecky did his comfortable pace and waited for others to screw up (he did that in Barum too). Not the most exciting way but it often works..

The thing is that Kopecký already passed the point where there was something to prove by raw speed. It's the young who have to prove themselves and become the new champions in the future. Jan of course knows that there is nowhere to step up for him so what he does is what he can the best - deliver the results like a machine no matter what.

Got Mail
26th August 2019, 09:37
The thing is that Kopecký already passed the point where there was something to prove by raw speed. It's the young who have to prove themselves and become the new champions in the future. Jan of course knows that there is nowhere to step up for him so what he does is what he can the best - deliver the results like a machine no matter what.

Indeed.

I can see Jan's future being more on the management side of the sport.

How old are Hrabánek and Hortek now?

Jarek Z
26th August 2019, 10:55
Really hoping the FIA gets back to a single WRC2 category next year as it's pretty clear the series are now less competitive than before the split;

Is WRC2 really less competitive this year? There are at least 6 drivers competing for the championship. We are near the end of the season (4 rounds to go) and it is actually impossible to guess who will win:
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/results/championship/drivers/page/537-256---.html
Last year Kopecky, Tidemand and Rovanpera (all 3 factory drivers) won 10 out of 13 rounds and finished 1-2-3 in the championship:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Rally_Championship-2

besides, in some cases the fastests private drivers (mainly Polo users) can beat Citroen or Ford works drivers and even match, here and there, Rovanpera or Kopecky.

Can private drivers really compete with factory crews? Last years proved thay can't, didn't it?

I know it sounds controversial and most forum members will not like it, but in my opinion one good thing about WRC2 Pro is that it eliminated factory drivers from WRC2.

Rally Power
26th August 2019, 20:12
Is WRC2 really less competitive this year? There are at least 6 drivers competing for the championship. We are near the end of the season (4 rounds to go) and it is actually impossible to guess who will win:
Last year Kopecky, Tidemand and Rovanpera (all 3 factory drivers) won 10 out of 13 rounds and finished 1-2-3 in the championship:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Rally_Championship-2
Can private drivers really compete with factory crews? Last years proved thay can't, didn't it?
I know it sounds controversial and most forum members will not like it, but in my opinion one good thing about WRC2 Pro is that it eliminated factory drivers from WRC2.

Ok, the fight in WRC2 looks to be tight but most of the contenders are only doing a sort of part-time campaign…and the same seems to be happening in WRC2 Pro. Besides, who cares about who’s fighting for WRC2 when even WRC2 Pro guys can’t get a decent exposure?

A single WRC2 series with a Privateers Cup inside it would certainly work better than the current split series, as private drivers would be able to fight among themselves but also directly against works crews (it’s possible, like Bonato, Veiby, Lefebvre, Ciamin and others have showed) and we would avoid having shameful Pro entry lists with only 2 or 3 cars.

Jarek Z
26th August 2019, 20:47
Besides, who cares about who’s fighting for WRC2 when even WRC2 Pro guys can’t get a decent exposure?

That's true. I only found 2 official videos from WRC2 / WRC2 Pro and they are only 1-minute long:

WRC 2 - ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2019: Highlights Friday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0As1qxCcs

WRC 2 - ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2019: Highlights Saturday (including 2 crashes of Rovanpera and 1 crash of Lefebvre)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrhayW6PwAw

PLuto
27th August 2019, 18:46
Great result for BRR with a 1 2 3 in WRC2.

Second was Marijan Griebel, who was not able to finish on podium in ERC rounds this year...

PLuto
27th August 2019, 18:47
Is WRC2 really less competitive this year?

Problem is that there are some fast drivers doing only few events. On the top of classification is Guerra, who can make good result only out of Europe. So in the final it looks like tight fight, but...

Mirek
27th August 2019, 18:52
Second was Marijan Griebel, who was not able to finish on podium in ERC rounds this year...

... and the tripple European champion Kajto was only fourth and Gryazin was completely nowhere.

The point is that Griebel was on home soil. Last year Jakeš was able to fight with Sordo on Barum and I'm pretty sure he would be minutes slower in Catalunya.

Come on PLuto, you can do beter than that.

Jarek Z
27th August 2019, 19:30
Ok, the fight in WRC2 looks to be tight but most of the contenders are only doing a sort of part-time campaign…

Problem is that there are some fast drivers doing only few events.

But why should they drive more events when only 6 best scores count?

PLuto
27th August 2019, 19:44
... and the tripple European champion Kajto was only fourth and Gryazin was completely nowhere.

The point is that Griebel was on home soil. Last year Jakeš was able to fight with Sordo on Barum and I'm pretty sure he would be minutes slower in Catalunya.

Come on PLuto, you can do beter than that.

I know, I meant it mainly as a joke. But this doesnt mean that top crews in WRC2 are constant, mostly are on top drivers which are not doing whole championship, but only very selected number of races...

PLuto
27th August 2019, 19:45
But why should they drive more events when only 6 best scores count?

Because they cannot, rules allow only 7 races. But there is plenty of drivers who do only 1-3 races...

Fast Eddie WRC
30th August 2019, 10:45
Gryazin:
As you remember, we were forced to miss the Rally Turkey. However, we use this time as efficiently as possible: in early September, we are finally testing the brand new Skoda Fabia R5 Evo, and in the mid-September me and Yaroslav will go to Slovenia...
https://t.co/gAsoJ9sLuQ

AnttiL
30th August 2019, 10:57
In WRC2Pro you can drive as many rallies as you wish and the eight best count. Rovanperä has now driven eight rallies but is entered for Turkey. Not sure how much he can drive in the rest of the season, since he's going to army in October. However, a result in Turkey would drop off the retirement in Corsica, letting him gain full points. After that he can only better up his third and second places.

Østberg has done six rallies and is not entered to Turkey. Assuming he does not go to Australia, his maximum possible score is 160. Thus Kalle would need to just finish Turkey, even in recce speed, in order to get 15 points from a third place.

Greensmith is at five rallies and will make it to six in Turkey. If he wins Turkey, he's exactly level with Østberg and in the same situation. Perhaps he's looking forward to do Wales in the WRC car?

Anyway, this joke of a series seems pretty settled by now.

pantealex
7th September 2019, 17:47
OC Veiby was testing in Wales with Printsport (team from Finland) Polo R5.
He has been using lately Kristoffersson´s (KMS) Polo R5
KMS has 2 or 3 Polo R5 and Printsport has 3.
If Veiby will start Wales with Printport we could see:
-Emil Lindholm also with Printsport
-Johan Kristoffersson and Petter Solberg with KMS since Oliver is using Solberg family Polo.

Wales could really be Fabia vs Fiesta vs Polo battle !

Mirek
7th September 2019, 17:52
Kajto with Fabia in Turkey. Presumably because of expected better reliability in this rough event.

Jarek Z
7th September 2019, 20:22
Yes, that's how he explained his choice in the press release (sorry, in Polish only):
http://kajto.pl/aktualnosci/kajetan-kajetanowicz-zmienia-rajdowke-na-rajd-turcji/

The choice is not coincidental. This car is well tested and more reliable.

Jarek Z
11th September 2019, 12:44
Kajto with Fabia in Turkey. Presumably because of expected better reliability in this rough event.

But he is back in Polo in Wales Rally GB :)

The entry list for WRC2 in Wales is quite interesting. For the first time we have 3 Solbergs in one rally :)

Entry list:
https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/wrgb/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/11084926/Wales-Rally-GB-2019-Entry-List-FIA-Approved-110919.pdf

Co-driven
11th September 2019, 23:02

Maybe date to Cyprus Rwlly being so close there are no Polo available? As Taxis and Herczig are using them in Cyprus...

Jarek Z
13th September 2019, 08:15
Bad start of Rally Turkey for Kalle Rovanpera. Puncture and rolling on SS2, then double puncture and accident on SS3.

"We changed one puncture at the front - I have no idea where I got it. I slowed down the pace because we had no spare tyres, but there was a big rock that we hit. I think it is over for us today because we don't have any spare tyres left."

Jarek Z
13th September 2019, 08:18
Now also Greensmith has a puncture and expects more of them:

"Puncture about 15km in. I was driving clean, but it was just one of those things. I think there will be more punctures to come!"

Jarek Z
13th September 2019, 23:16
Rally Turkey 2019: FRIDAY Highlights from WRC 2 (including Rovanpera's crash):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xabAgWfSQ

Munkvy
14th September 2019, 06:16
Not exactly showing the consistency worthy of a WRC seat is he?

Jarek Z
14th September 2019, 22:06
Official Ford Turkey car of Bugra Banaz burnt down in flames on SS7.

https://www.ewrc-results.com/quickp/54470_3hzshodc.jpg

er88
14th September 2019, 22:25
Not exactly showing the consistency worthy of a WRC seat is he?The best thing for Toyota is to have him in a 4th car. Time is hugely on Kalle's side. Extra expense for Toyota, but would be worth it in the long run

AnttiL
15th September 2019, 10:10
With Greensmith retired, is Kalle now already confirmed the WRC2 Pro championship?

EDIT: Forgot about Østberg

Jarek Z
15th September 2019, 11:05
WRC 2 and WRC2 Pro - Rally Turkey 2019: Highlights from Leg 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QA4tvXqz1k

Fast Eddie WRC
15th September 2019, 11:08
M-Sport

Unbelievable drama in the closing kilometres! But it’s @GreensmithGus and the Ford Fiesta R5 Mk II that take the WRC 2 Pro and RC2 victory @rallyturkey !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEf6L_QXoAAqHcZ?format=jpg&name=small

Jarek Z
15th September 2019, 11:21
Despite serious problems with his car on the last two stages Kajto wins his class and takes the lead in WRC2 championship standings. Congratulations!!! :)

https://scontent.fktw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/70177380_2698721730160086_727553905025613824_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQlDmPzpE9EPTCX_e8t1A1MuG70iEYiNZjLDKO_uQa7 40xk1ULJ_hNspepayBGtWruY&_nc_ht=scontent.fktw1-1.fna&oh=84bbd4d6ceb34bdab36cbfcb9309475e&oe=5E107B8D

the sniper
15th September 2019, 16:13
Genuinely really happy for Kajto. Got to think that the experience gained on the (rather maligned) rougher ERC rallies like Cyprus and the Acropolis probably helped here.

KKS
15th September 2019, 19:40
Not exactly showing the consistency worthy of a WRC seat is he?
This kid catch a God for a beard and thinks he overcame a WRC2 and nothing to do here. He must be down more to the earth and things will get better and easier.

Mirek
15th September 2019, 20:19
This kid catch a God for a beard and thinks he overcame a WRC2 and nothing to do here. He must be down more to the earth and things will get better and easier.

What you wrote is BS. How about not to play psychologist from your armchair?

KKS
15th September 2019, 20:43
It's about Kalle, and I think I free to comment what I see. I see what I wrote. You only can disagree with me and left your armchair games.
My opinion based on results, pace, comments and behavior of Rovanpera jr. and I post it.

electroliquid
16th September 2019, 06:59
It's about Kalle, and I think I free to comment what I see. I see what I wrote. You only can disagree with me and left your armchair games.
My opinion based on results, pace, comments and behavior of Rovanpera jr. and I post it.

Oh really? who has better pace among WRC2 drivers? results in WRC2 Pro means nothing, about comments and behavior I can't say much...The fact that he was fastest among R5 cars 4 rallies in a row (Chile - Finland, and 3 of them was new for him) prove that he has speed and consistency. It's basically impossible, that 18yo kid had that pace and not make any mistakes. Also he beats Kopecky in Bohemia, that not easy thing to do, I think.

dimviii
16th September 2019, 15:30
https://gryazin.com/test_skoda_evo#Gryazin

Mirek
16th September 2019, 15:49

You wrote BS, period. If Kalle was what You think he is, he would drive WRC since the beginning of this year. Yes, he could do that but he decided he needed more experience behind the wheel of an R5. The guy has it all right in his head and a crash here and there changes nothing on it. That is just a natural part of the development.

Mirek
16th September 2019, 15:53
https://gryazin.com/test_skoda_evo#Gryazin

AFAIK the engine has 3-4 Hp more. I don't know about torque curve.

pantealex
16th September 2019, 17:17
WRC2 now, they can do 7, best 6 will be counted.

Kajto 73p , done 5 +Wales, lowest score R=0p

Gryazin 73p ,done 6 rallies, lowest score R=0p

Guerra 69p ,done 4 +Wales, lowest score 8p

Loubet 63p ,done 4 +Wales, lowest score 1p

Veiby 50p, done 5 +Wales, lowest score R=0p

Bulacia 48p ,done 3 +Wales, lowest score 12p

so all other than Gryazin are doing Wales in WRC2 and some can count all other rallies also.

Jarek Z
16th September 2019, 17:26
WRC 2 and WRC2 Pro - Rally Turkey 2019: Highlights from Leg 3 (including Greensmith's crash):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh9ImA0DNsk

Jarek Z
16th September 2019, 17:36
Rally Turkey 2019 - Highlights FINAL DAY - Kajetanowicz / Szczepaniak LOTOS Rally Team (including Kajto's joy at the finish line :) ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftpsu-sFNfQ

Mirek
16th September 2019, 17:54
WRC2 now, they can do 7, best 6 will be counted.

Kajto 73p , done 5 +Wales, lowest score R=0p

Gryazin 73p ,done 6 rallies, lowest score R=0p

Guerra 69p ,done 4 +Wales, lowest score 8p

Loubet 63p ,done 4 +Wales, lowest score 1p

Veiby 50p, done 5 +Wales, lowest score R=0p

Bulacia 48p ,done 3 +Wales, lowest score 12p

so all other than Gryazin are doing Wales in WRC2 and some can count all other rallies also.

I thought Gryazin would do Wales too. At least he wrote about it after his recent testing of the Evo car.

AnttiL
16th September 2019, 18:12
I thought Gryazin would do Wales too. At least he wrote about it after his recent testing of the Evo car.

He's entered outside WRC2.

KKS
16th September 2019, 18:43
You wrote BS, period. If Kalle was what You think he is, he would drive WRC since the beginning of this year. Yes, he could do that but he decided he needed more experience behind the wheel of an R5. The guy has it all right in his head and a crash here and there changes nothing on it. That is just a natural part of the development.
Drive a WRCar with M-Sport it's huge PR for both, but I guess it will end something nearly like between Tidemand and Suninen. Slowly and sometimes crashy.
Noone denies that he had a talent and strong rally teachers for nearly 10+yrs. He paid off now with strong pace for his young age, but it seems quite boring to him and feels like teenager come to play a football with 5yrs kids.
If he enjoy it and really push for rally wins with his experience - he would win every rally. But it doesn't happen so far. To post fast times on two stages and crash on third - not require massive talent.
I really looking forward to Wales to see real battle with both Solbergs jr. with so many others good drivers and I think Kalle will crash due overspeed his margins trying to catch others, or do slow speed if he has some cleaver approach. More truth on first I think.
Kid clearly got a talent and rally knowledge, but his not an idol that you did it.

Rallyper
16th September 2019, 18:49
To post fast times on two stages and crash on third - not require massive talent.

That should be a quote worth on Tidemand topic... :) :)

Mirek
16th September 2019, 19:14
Drive a WRCar with M-Sport it's huge PR for both, but I guess it will end something nearly like between Tidemand and Suninen. Slowly and sometimes crashy.
Noone denies that he had a talent and strong rally teachers for nearly 10+yrs. He paid off now with strong pace for his young age, but it seems quite boring to him and feels like teenager come to play a football with 5yrs kids.
If he enjoy it and really push for rally wins with his experience - he would win every rally. But it doesn't happen so far. To post fast times on two stages and crash on third - not require massive talent.
I really looking forward to Wales to see real battle with both Solbergs jr. with so many others good drivers and I think Kalle will crash due overspeed his margins trying to catch others, or do slow speed if he has some cleaver approach. More truth on first I think.
Kid clearly got a talent and rally knowledge, but his not an idol that you did it.

I'm not making him any idol. Your mocking of him is just ridiculous.

Jarek Z
16th September 2019, 19:41

Now we can say that his decision was good. There are 8 Skodas in the top 9 of WRC2 :)
https://www.ewrc-results.com/results/54470-rally-turkey-marmaris-2019/?s=239012&sct=222

Jarek Z
16th September 2019, 19:51

He is outside of WRC2 on the entry list. Look at no. 91:
https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/wrgb/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/11084926/Wales-Rally-GB-2019-Entry-List-FIA-Approved-110919.pdf

Jarek Z
16th September 2019, 19:58
Looking at the current standings it is actually the 18-year-old Marco Bulacia from Bolivia who is in the best situation. He has 48 points (6th place), but can still score points in 3 rallies:

https://puraenergia.weebly.com/uploads/3/0/8/6/30863659/17493079-356473131421097-7261059286099686252-o_orig.jpg

Got Mail
17th September 2019, 19:39

Nikolay is trying a Polo this weekend in Nova Gorcia.

I'm not sure he'll want to go back to a Fabia afterwards....

Tarmop
17th September 2019, 20:05
You consider Fabia Evo a worse car?

deephouse
17th September 2019, 20:09

Nikolay is trying a Polo this weekend in Nova Gorcia.

I'm not sure he'll want to go back to a Fabia afterwards....

Nova Gorica. In Slovenia. I can see just one result. He will beat everyone because competition isn't very high here.

Got Mail
17th September 2019, 20:17
You consider Fabia Evo a worse car?

Worse? No. Much better built than the Polo. Much cheaper to run. Much more reliable.

But the Polo is faster. Better balanced. Better weight distribution.

Jarek Z
17th September 2019, 21:00
Nova Gorica. In Slovenia. I can see just one result. He will beat everyone because competition isn't very high here.

Yes, with such competition he should win it quite easily:
https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/7e509b69/files/uploaded/Lista_Prijav_RNG_2019_Skupna.pdf
However, it's not a bad entry list for this part of Europe, just not good enough for Gryazin.

P.S. The stages in Nova Gorica look nice! How do you like this one?
https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/7e509b69/dms3rep/multi/desktop/180907-NGo-3942-7d3faba3.jpg

Jarek Z
17th September 2019, 21:07
Gryazin and Fedorov test their Volkswagen Polo R5 in Slovenia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=53&v=9GloG3MGJlA

P.S. Interesting new sponsor ;)

meh
18th September 2019, 06:10
Gryazin is fast, but need to reach to finish to win.

Mise
18th September 2019, 07:59
He is outside of WRC2 on the entry list. Look at no. 91:

So no new mk8 Fiestas in Wales. Only 7's or is that a mistake?

Fast Eddie WRC
18th September 2019, 10:04
So no new mk8 Fiestas in Wales.

I count five !? Greensmith, Paddon, Heller, Gill & Katsuta.

Mise
18th September 2019, 10:19
I count five !? Greensmith, Paddon, Heller, Gill & Katsuta.

They were typed mkVII in that pdf, but on ewrc entry list they are mk8's.
So just a typo. 5 indeed.
5 Evo Fabias and only 4 old ones. The machinery is changing quickly

Andre Oliveira
18th September 2019, 13:24
Wrong! Since beggining they are Ford Fiesta R5 MK2 in eWRC-results.com

Mirek
18th September 2019, 13:49
They were typed mkVII in that pdf, but on ewrc entry list they are mk8's.
So just a typo. 5 indeed.
5 Evo Fabias and only 4 old ones. The machinery is changing quickly

Yes, some people keep repeating again and again (here as well) that cheap but slower car can succeed on the market while the reality is again and again completely opposite. Teams buy the best machinery like crazy even if that is expensive.

Rallyper
18th September 2019, 14:51
Yes, some people keep repeating again and again (here as well) that cheap but slower car can succeed on the market while the reality is again and again completely opposite. Teams buy the best machinery like crazy even if that is expensive.

You should explain why. ;)

Mirek
18th September 2019, 15:10
You should explain why. ;)

I think we spent enough time with it already...

Rallyper
18th September 2019, 15:13
I think we spent enough time with it already...

Yeah. Sure. But can´t resist.

It´s easy. I think we both know why, as all others, they chose the fastest and most reliable car, even if it´s more expensive. Why buy a car for 220000 Euros and be 3rd when you can pay 250000Euros and win? Right? :) :)

(don´t know anything about the current prices...)

Mirek
18th September 2019, 15:38
Basically yes, buying non competitive albeit cheap equipment equals throwing the money out of the window (except for special cases such as a wealthy gentleman driver who seeks to have fun with no ambitions).

AnttiL
22nd September 2019, 16:15
Not directly WRC2 related, but Gaurav Gill was involved in an accident in a rally in India, where a family of three was killed. Apparently they were riding a motorbike on the stage when Gill ran over them. Gill also got injured in the crash.

https://heraldpublicist.com/racer-gaurav-gills-car-hits-bike-during-national-championship-3-dead/

Rallyper
22nd September 2019, 17:19
Not directly WRC2 related, but Gaurav Gill was involved in an accident in a rally in India, where a family of three was killed. Apparently they were riding a motorbike on the stage when Gill ran over them. Gill also got injured in the crash.

https://heraldpublicist.com/racer-gaurav-gills-car-hits-bike-during-national-championship-3-dead/

Tragic. :(

mousti
24th September 2019, 19:23
Gryazin with Polo R5 from BMA in Catalunya.

Got Mail
25th September 2019, 19:29
Gryazin with Polo R5 from BMA in Catalunya.

Are you sure about that?

mousti
26th September 2019, 12:47
Are you sure about that?

Citing Bernard Munster: Le Rally Nova Gorica est une épreuve asphalte qui se déroule sur un parcours technique et vallonné, comparable à ce qu’on rencontrera en Espagne en WRC à la fin octobre. Gryazin sera d’ailleurs au départ de cette épreuve avec notre VW Polo R5.

Rally Hokkaido
30th September 2019, 09:33
Not the sort of news I enjoy passing on, but Guarav and co-driver Musa Sherif have been charged with culpable homicide.

https://www.autocarindia.com/motor-sports-news/gaurav-gill-rally-accident-the-legal-angle-414301#eid=51&edate=20190930&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_newsletter

Mirek
30th September 2019, 10:27
Not the sort of news I enjoy passing on, but Guarav and co-driver Musa Sherif have been charged with culpable homicide.

https://www.autocarindia.com/motor-sports-news/gaurav-gill-rally-accident-the-legal-angle-414301#eid=51&edate=20190930&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_newsletter

Hopefully sanity prevails.

Got Mail
1st October 2019, 11:52
Anyone know why is Pavel Dresler now replaced by Mares's co-driver?

Seems a strange move...

RS
1st October 2019, 16:52

Seems a strange move...

Yes after a long and succesful partnership.. he and Kopecky seemed to get on very well.

Mirek?

AnttiL
1st October 2019, 16:54
All I know is that Dresler is an assistant professor in a technical university https://www.linkedin.com/in/pavel-dresler-39a964aa/?originalSubdomain=cz Actually Linkedin says his contract with Skoda, doing something else than co-driving (CFD výpočty motorů), ended already in May.

Jarek Z
1st October 2019, 17:05
Guys, do you think Kajto chose the right training method for Wales Rally GB?
https://www.facebook.com/KajetanKajetanowicz/videos/911014785944267/

Mirek
1st October 2019, 17:50

Seems a strange move...

Yes after a long and succesful partnership.. he and Kopecky seemed to get on very well.

Mirek?

AFAIK Pavel didn't want to continue rallying. I would not search for any sensation.

Got Mail
1st October 2019, 22:22
AFAIK Pavel didn't want to continue rallying. I would not search for any sensation.

That's surprising as they looked like they had great fun together.

Which is pretty rare in rallying at that level...

Jarek Z
4th October 2019, 10:56
Bad start of Wales Rally for many WRC2 drivers - Oliver Solberg out after technical problem with steering already on SS 2, Paddon out after an accident, Veiby out and Kajto out after 3 punctures on SS4.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th October 2019, 11:48
Shame but its tough out there.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th October 2019, 19:35
Ostberg
No shame on @CitroenRacing, they have done an incredible job to develop this car to be one of the fastest👌 And they don’t run my car..

RS
4th October 2019, 21:54
FIA World Council decision on WRC2:

The current WRC 2 Pro class will become the WRC 2 class for manufacturer and private teams, while WRC 3 will be for independent Rally 2 competitors. These developments are designed to simplify the structure in accordance with the FIA Rally Pyramid, to encourage professional teams to enter and to provide a clear path for semi-professional and amateur competitors.

I’m not really sure that clears up the mess to be honest. Isn’t that basically renaming WRC2Pro to WRC2 and WRC2 to WRC3?

Rally Power
5th October 2019, 00:03
I’m not really sure that clears up the mess to be honest. Isn’t that basically renaming WRC2Pro to WRC2 and WRC2 to WRC3?

It seems so, unfortunately.

AnttiL
5th October 2019, 06:41
It says WRC2 will be also for private teams, that doesn't fit with WRC2Pro. Could we see, say, a Printsport team in WRC2?

RS
5th October 2019, 09:43
It says WRC2 will be also for private teams, that doesn't fit with WRC2Pro. Could we see, say, a Printsport team in WRC2?

I guess so. We’ll have to see what the scoring/nomination rules are to assess whether this is an improvement

PLuto
5th October 2019, 10:49
Maybe M-Sport is counted as private team?

Jarek Z
5th October 2019, 16:43
FIA World Council decision on WRC2:

The current WRC 2 Pro class will become the WRC 2 class for manufacturer and private teams, while WRC 3 will be for independent Rally 2 competitors.

Another messy shit rule. What is the difference between "private teams" and "independent Rally 2 competitors"?

AnttiL
5th October 2019, 16:59
Another messy shit rule. What is the difference between "private teams" and "independent Rally 2 competitors"?

See the last few posts

tc10a
5th October 2019, 16:59

Easiest explanation:
WRC2 = registered manufacturers (like WRC2PRO) + registered teams (e.g. Team Sponsor A, Team Tuner B,...)
So they can get for example a private VW Team into WRC2 or a Hyundai Team.

WRC3 = drivers like this year WRC2

deephouse
5th October 2019, 18:14
Just stupid.

pantealex
6th October 2019, 10:35
http://urheiluuutiset.com/rallin-mm-sarjan-kritisoitu-luokkauudistus-palaa-vanhaan-ensi-kaudella/

This one has thinked it like this

WRC2 = all current WRC2PRO and WRC2 drivers (5+13 cars in Wales)

WRC3 = all other R5 drivers which are entered to event (now in Wales 7 cars)

so basically if you drive with R5 you are either WRC2 or WRC3 driver.

AnttiL
6th October 2019, 10:38
http://urheiluuutiset.com/rallin-mm-sarjan-kritisoitu-luokkauudistus-palaa-vanhaan-ensi-kaudella/

This one has thinked it like this

WRC2 = all current WRC2PRO and WRC2 drivers (5+13 cars in Wales)

WRC3 = all other R5 drivers which are entered to event (now in Wales 7 cars)

so basically if you drive with R5 you are either WRC2 or WRC3 driver.

That would be good.

PLuto
6th October 2019, 10:52
I dont think it is correct. Most likely it will be only renaming the categories.

RS
6th October 2019, 11:22
Presumably to compete in future WRC2, crews will need to register a team otherwise they will be in WRC3.

If most good R5 crews do register a team and compete in WRC2 going forwards this will be a good thing.

We need to avoid the kind of situation we have on Rally GB where Rovanpera and Kopecky are cruising around 1-2 in WRC2Pro with a 40 minute gap to third place and the top five separated by 1.5 hours.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th October 2019, 11:49
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGLv3ZdXYAANOfl?format=jpg&name=small

Fast Eddie WRC
6th October 2019, 11:51
Your 2019 WRC-2 Pro Champion :champion:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGMQW2XWsAALlQ8?format=jpg&name=large

Legendaarne
6th October 2019, 12:14
Congrats to Kalle

But he is basically the best of 3 drivers, because only him, Östberg & Greensmith have entered more than 5 races in WRC2pro
I'm glad they dropped wrc2pro for next year

AnttiL
6th October 2019, 14:15
Kalle will still do Catalunya

Rally Power
6th October 2019, 15:58
Presumably to compete in future WRC2, crews will need to register a team otherwise they will be in WRC3.
If most good R5 crews do register a team and compete in WRC2 going forwards this will be a good thing.
We need to avoid the kind of situation we have on Rally GB where Rovanpera and Kopecky are cruising around 1-2 in WRC2Pro with a 40 minute gap to third place and the top five separated by 1.5 hours.

I’m not that hopefull. The main WRC2 series is expected to have a larger calendar, becoming more expensive to private drivers. Maybe one or two private teams/drivers (with some kind of manu support) will run run alongside the current works teams in WRC2, but the vast majority of R5 drivers will continue to run separatley (in WRC3).

This stupid split could be easily avoided with a Privateer Cup inside WRC2...

Jarek Z
6th October 2019, 19:55

How different will it be from WRC2 pre-2019 then?

Jarek Z
6th October 2019, 19:57
Congrats to Kalle

But he is basically the best of 3 drivers, because only him, Östberg & Greensmith have entered more than 5 races in WRC2pro

Yes, indeed. Almost everybody in this championship finished the season in a podium position :)

Mirek
6th October 2019, 20:42
At least he was really the best of them. AFAIK in the past we have had a WRC2 champion who didn't even win an event...

RS
6th October 2019, 21:23
I’m not that hopefull. The main WRC2 series is expected to have a larger calendar, becoming more expensive to private drivers.

That’s the key question..

Jarek Z
7th October 2019, 09:58
Loubet is back in the lead:

Allez Andruet
8th October 2019, 11:33
https://twitter.com/SaariJarno/status/1181517777099804673

According to Finnish rally publicist Jarno Saari, Emil Lindholm has entered Catalunya with his Printsport-run Polo R5.

AnttiL
8th October 2019, 13:53
https://www.rallit.fi/kalle-rovanperan-nykyinen-tiimi-vetaytymassa-rallin-mm-sarjasta/

Skoda Motorsport quitting as a factory team

T16
8th October 2019, 14:01
https://www.rallit.fi/kalle-rovanperan-nykyinen-tiimi-vetaytymassa-rallin-mm-sarjasta/

Haven't they just built a new HQ for the preparation? Any chance of them coming back as a full WRC team?

AnttiL
8th October 2019, 14:18
Haven't they just built a new HQ for the preparation? Any chance of them coming back as a full WRC team?

AFAIK they will just continue selling customer cars

Jarek Z
8th October 2019, 15:24
Who will compete in WRC2 Pro now? ;)

pantealex
8th October 2019, 16:55
Who will compete in WRC2 Pro now? ;)

There is no PRO anymore 2020, so no one, not even M-Sport ;)

Rallyper
8th October 2019, 17:44
AFAIK they will just continue selling customer cars

And with no promotion, selling cars will decline... That´s for sure...

dimviii
8th October 2019, 19:00

so they will find time for something other...

Jarek Z
8th October 2019, 20:02
Is it really a simplification?
https://sports.yahoo.com/fia-steps-plan-simplify-wrc-093221846.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHQkNQ2pTLZ6-cKFCcUxShwvhdGmDteX6_AkfYI9EkLif17tmmbOj56c6QkEDW8 RACAFJSZMeifh2Bzly9HI4CYqBDfKpEqckvgq2wPNGO-2HNJzmmA63wejAKgfZbX55KHSyfzSXd42fYBw57QxuHTwg-xDglBqbGkVciENLahy

Sub_Skoda
8th October 2019, 20:06

Sad news...

Mirek
8th October 2019, 20:09

They can still run a satellite team able of winning. They can use BRR for that for example. We'll see.

Jarek Z
8th October 2019, 20:12
Very sad news. Skoda has always been committed to motorsport and it will be a big loss for the rally world to lose them :(

Only the drivers in Czech rally championship may be happy, because Kopecky will not win 30 rallies in a row anymore ;)

Jarek Z
8th October 2019, 20:18
There are as many as 19 WRC2 crews on the entry list of Rally Catalunya. As most top drivers have already competed in 5 or 6 rounds this event may decide about this year's WRC2 champion:
http://www.rallyracc.com/2019/descargas/inscritos.pdf

AnttiL
8th October 2019, 20:37
There are as many as 19 WRC2 crews on the entry list of Rally Catalunya. As most top drivers have already competed in 5 or 6 rounds this event may decide about this year's WRC2 champion:

Also point-wise, Loubet, Guerra, Kajetanowicz and Gryazin are relatively equal. Mathematically, even Bulacia could still win the title. He would also still have the option to go to Australia for some easy points.

RS
9th October 2019, 04:56
They can still run a satellite team able of winning. They can use BRR for that for example. We'll see.

When the FIA announced last week that WRC2 would be for manufacturer ‘and private’ teams I thought this news might be coming.

I guess Kopecky will retire too.

End of a very successful era for Skoda Motorsport. Hopefully this is not the end of their time in rallying.

pantealex
9th October 2019, 15:31

Not decided before we see Australia entrylist.
Loubet, Guerra, Bulacia and Andolfi can count Australia if they want.
For Gryazin and Kajetanowicz Catalonia is last chance.
That means Loubet is the only one who can win it before Australia entrylist and that´s not going to happen. He must be minimum 2nd and others can´t score nothing, otherwise point diference is less than 25points after Catalonia.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th October 2019, 09:33
#WRC2 #testday 2019 @MSportLtd

Another video @mattyjim1 @stu_loudon in Ford Fiesta R5 MKII

https://twitter.com/R3Access/status/1182037946616168448

tomhlord
10th October 2019, 09:42

A shame :(

Rally Power
11th October 2019, 12:17

Is that site a credible source? Anyway, if true that's a shame; is there any hope this could mean a move to RC1 having 2022 Hybrids in mind?

AnttiL
11th October 2019, 12:26
Is that site a credible source? Anyway, if true that's a shame; is there any hope this could mean a move to RC1 having 2022 Hybrids in mind?

Well, I write route previews for them and thus know the people who write there. It says "according to the information we have received" which is always worth a doubt, but then again some say this decision has been known for months already.

I also thought that it could mean a switchover to hybrids, but then again, maybe the can sell as much R5 cars as they can build without a team for marketing

Mise
11th October 2019, 12:49
A shame :(

Is it? They were the only factory team in WRC2.
They still sell their cars, so actually no harm done.

deephouse
11th October 2019, 12:57
They achieve everything that could have been achieved on that stage, so why bother doing that. But they was one of two only manufacturers that provide some youngsters to progress to the top line. Without them M-Sport is the only one doing that job now after that.

While many of manufacturers is loud about ne technology and ho they want to implement them I don't know why are most of them leave now in many disciplines.
Dakar - Peugeot
WorldRX - Peugeot, VW, Ford
WRC2 - Skoda
WRC VW, strong rumors about Citroen being next one.

But on the other side Subaru & Mitsubishi are (at least what I heard) looking again at rallying. I don't know what that mean - is it WRC or just building machines for customers for nationals.

Mirek
11th October 2019, 13:58
The situation will get worse with the time.

Political and social pressure makes the manufacturers to invest into EV and other so called green technologies.
The so called green technologies can not be effectively promoted by motorsport of any kind because people willing to buy EV mostly see motorsport as something fundamentally wrong.
It is near impossible to make the fans of traditional motorsport follow alternative means of motorsport, i.e. with EVs, while the others are not interested in any sort of racing at all.
Another ongoing trend of higher and higher automation of driving also points to a situation when motorsport is going to be a redundant thing for marketing of mainstream manufacturers (even without EVs).
All in all it means that rally, racing or other performance-based competitions are virtually dead as marketing tool for the future.

Rally Power
11th October 2019, 15:09
All in all it means that rally, racing or other performance-based competitions are virtually dead as marketing tool for the future.

I’m not that pessimistic, but I’m ashamed of FIA behaviour; instead of fighting some of the green mobility BS, like EV’s ecological issues, Mr. Todt and Co. seem eager to follow the mainstream political correctness.

mknight
11th October 2019, 15:43
I’m not that pessimistic, but I’m ashamed of FIA behaviour; instead of fighting some of the green mobility BS, like EV’s ecological issues, Mr. Todt and Co. seem eager to follow the mainstream political correctness.

If you think that the best way to ensure future of motorsport is to fight against EV ecolological issues then you have a real problem.

Instead they should actively promote motorsport as an arena to show that
a) EV can be "fun/entertaining" even for petrolheads. Quote from Top Gear test of Tesla Roadster quite many years ago: "The first electric car that you actually want to buy".

(for the deniers, yes EVs can be fun/entertaining, just depends on the design, only real issue is sound, which can be added artifically. Then again rally car on a gravel stage does make quite many sounds even without engine, same on tarmac at anything over 90 kph)

b) motorsport can be used by manus to showcase how good they are at hybrid/ev development

(Tesla and quite a lot of others are guite keen to show off 0-100 times, nurburgring times etc, so no it's not true that people that buy EVs see motorsport as something fundamentally wrong. In fact most Tesla buyers come from previous BMW owners)

AnttiK7
11th October 2019, 16:20

I don't think FIA really has any alternative there. Sadly, motorsport in this current scale will quite possibly be dead anyway in not that distant future from now (I am talking decades rather than years), no matter what the FIA does. But if they didn't take this "political correct" route now in the current climates that we live in, both global and political, then the end will only end up coming a lot sooner.

Mirek
11th October 2019, 16:25
If you think that the best way to ensure future of motorsport is to fight against EV ecolological issues then you have a real problem.

a) EV can be "fun/entertaining" even for petrolheads. Quote from Top Gear test of Tesla Roadster quite many years ago: "The first electric car that you actually want to buy".

(for the deniers, yes EVs can be fun/entertaining, just depends on the design, only real issue is sound, which can be added artifically. Then again rally car on a gravel stage does make quite many sounds even without engine, same on tarmac at anything over 90 kph)

b) motorsport can be used by manus to showcase how good they are at hybrid/ev development

(Tesla and quite a lot of others are guite keen to show off 0-100 times, nurburgring times etc, so no it's not true that people that buy EVs see motorsport as something fundamentally wrong. In fact most Tesla buyers come from previous BMW owners)

Let's not lie to ourselves. Racing EVs are fun to drive, not fun to spectate and the main problem is that you simply can not divert the current motorsport audience to EVs because large majority of it either outright refuse them or considers them to be the most boring thing on Earth. The other part of the public, let's say potential audience is not interested in any form of automotive competition at all.

mknight
11th October 2019, 21:03
Racing EVs can be fun to spectate, even more so than petrol cars in slow corners. It's all down to design choices, the only real issue is sound as mentioned many times. Not like we haven't seen that before with "silent" N4 evos.

If by "current motorsport audience" you mean european men of 50+ age then that is true to some degree. But only some, as mentioned quite a large part of people buying Tesla 3 are previous BMW 3-series owners. Which is a typical "cheap" motorhead car. Even in CZ with almost no electric cars you got people actually attending the EV "rally" (with normal EV cars) for "motorsport" competition. That doesn't fit your narrative of people that buy electric not being interested in automotive competition.

But it's the boys of 10-15 or even less you should look for real future. And those often already look at petrol car as something that is too slow and unnecessary complicated. "Why drive this petrol car when that Tesla/Porsche Taycan/Rimac etc. is faster?" That's like using dial-up internet instead of fiber broadband because you like the modem-connecting sound. The same kind of boys that buy an electric drone and go racing with it, rather than making rc plane with petrol engine from scratch.

This is the kind of trends you start seeing when there actually are many electric cars around. (here for last 3 months over 50% of new car sales are electric).

Mirek
13th October 2019, 08:51
Sorry, but no.

The aim of the motorsport is to go as fast as possible and one of the advantages of EVs is that you have a perfect chance to regulate the torque and its split on the wheels, i.e. it's much easier to have perfect traction with EV than with the combustion car (especially with purely mechanical one). Making them more spectacular means making them artifficially slower. Nobody would ever opt for that willingly.

I have been attending electric races for some time and I know people involved in design of such cars. My conclusion based on long term observation is that EV setting faster times than combustion car still looks and sounds as entertaining as a trolleybus.

EV sales have nearly nothing to do with motorsport. The people who buy EVs don't buy them becuase of Formula E or whatever electric series. Also very large part of these sales is purely becuase of government policy and subsidies.

Please don't even start about EV rally here in CZ. It's better to speak from perpective of other countries because here the rally audience is nearly 100% hostile to EV. Maybe if You come and see You wound not start with it...

mknight
13th October 2019, 11:51
You just took everything backwards just like before.

Sorry, but no.

The aim of the motorsport is to go as fast as possible and one of the advantages of EVs is that you have a perfect chance to regulate the torque and its split on the wheels, i.e. it's much easier to have perfect traction with EV than with the combustion car (especially with purely mechanical one). Making them more spectacular means making them artifficially slower. Nobody would ever opt for that willingly.

Racing cars being "artifically" slower is the standard of all motorsport for quite a few years.

WRC cars could have 3 active difs, fully active suspension (like F1 as far back as in 1992-3), fan-assited active aero, various traction and stability control and no restrictors...quite a lot of this is now standard on even mid-price range cars, not to mention sports cars.

Yet rally cars don't have it (yes a lot of that is due to "costs") and are artifically slower and at the same time more "spectacular". Same kind of balancing has to be done for electric racing cars.

EV sales have nearly nothing to do with motorsport. The people who buy EVs don't buy them becuase of Formula E or whatever electric series. Also very large part of these sales is purely becuase of government policy and subsidies.

Here you completely misunderstood me on the main point:
When majority of the population buys electric cars (as it does now in Norway), the proportion of the owners interested in automotive racing is about the same as with petrol cars.

(that right now EVs are competetive on the market mostly due to subsidies and/or restrictions is not the topic here, the topic is what happens when they are sold to the masses)
It's not like those 5-10% of "car enthusiasts" suddenly disappear. Similarly small boys still play with cars and still watch (animated) races on children shows.

On a side note, quite a lot of people actually do buy EV cars because of their performance (acceleration) even when they are more expensive.

Please don't even start about EV rally here in CZ. It's better to speak from perpective of other countries because here the rally audience is nearly 100% hostile to EV. Maybe if You come and see You wound not start with it...

I have followed what happened on Bohemia rally very closely. My point from that, which you again completely missed, is that those people driving the "EV Rally" certainly were interested in "automotive competition" something you declared impossible among EV buyers, and they are interested in that in just about the most anti-EV country in Europe.

The rally Bohemia affair also illustrates my first point. Off course consumer EVs straight from the store are hardly spectacular to watch, just like stock petrol (non-sports) cars are.

Mirek
13th October 2019, 13:16
Racing cars being "artifically" slower is the standard of all motorsport for quite a few years.

WRC cars could have 3 active difs, fully active suspension (like F1 as far back as in 1992-3), fan-assited active aero, various traction and stability control and no restrictors...quite a lot of this is now standard on even mid-price range cars, not to mention sports cars.

Yet rally cars don't have it (yes a lot of that is due to "costs") and are artifically slower and at the same time more "spectacular". Same kind of balancing has to be done for electric racing cars.

Fully active WRC cars with fully active suspension is still waaaaay more spectacular than a very rough EV.

Here you completely misunderstood me on the main point:
When majority of the population buys electric cars (as it does now in Norway), the proportion of the owners interested in automotive racing is about the same as with petrol cars.

(that right now EVs are competetive on the market mostly due to subsidies and/or restrictions is not the topic here, the topic is what happens when they are sold to the masses)
It's not like those 5-10% of "car enthusiasts" suddenly disappear. Similarly small boys still play with cars and still watch (animated) races on children shows.

On a side note, quite a lot of people actually do buy EV cars because of their performance (acceleration) even when they are more expensive.

They don't disappear but they having EV doesn't mean they want to watch it in rally. That is completely different thing.

I have followed what happened on Bohemia rally very closely. My point from that, which you again completely missed, is that those people driving the "EV Rally" certainly were interested in "automotive competition" something you declared impossible among EV buyers, and they are interested in that in just about the most anti-EV country in Europe.

The rally Bohemia affair also illustrates my first point. Off course consumer EVs straight from the store are hardly spectacular to watch, just like stock petrol (non-sports) cars are.

My company sent two crews in the EV rally last year (part of Barum) just because it's politically correct to show something green. We have nearly 5000 employees here in CZ yet it was very difficult to find someone who would actually want to go there and drive. Guess what happened this year? We sent no-one because nobody was intrested to drive it even when it was fully paid by the company. This is how it is being seen here. It's by far majority just a politically motivated activities of global companies what is behind this and not the public interest which is close to zero.

Rally Power
13th October 2019, 15:23

You're being foolish calling deniers to those who question EV's pollution issues: EV's issues are real, as are those raised by many of the alleged eco friendly policies; without openly talk about them we'll never get a better environment.

Btw, we're starting to live in a sort of green tyranny where everyone is forced to endorse deceiving policies that won't do nothing rather than relief, for a limited time, the pressure of a public opinion heavily manipulated by eco fundamentalists.

We should be smarter than that.

pantealex
18th October 2019, 08:03
S K O D A is P R O Champion 2019

Their lead is 53 points

and MSport can score max 25 points (they have only 1 car in Catalonia and 0 in Australia)

Jarek Z
18th October 2019, 08:28
Not decided before we see Australia entrylist.
Loubet, Guerra, Bulacia and Andolfi can count Australia if they want.
For Gryazin and Kajetanowicz Catalonia is last chance.
That means Loubet is the only one who can win it before Australia entrylist and that´s not going to happen. He must be minimum 2nd and others can´t score nothing, otherwise point diference is less than 25points after Catalonia.

So the entry list for Australia is now published and Loubet, Guerra, Bulacia and Andolfi are present there:
https://rallyaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Entrylist_15102019-FIA-approved-1.pdf

I think that Loubet is in the best situation to win this championship:

skarderud
19th October 2019, 13:16
Heard today that Veiby is ready for a factoryseat next year, what can it be?
Not Škoda i presume:)

Hyundai or citröen maybe, or some semi-factory VW team? Together with Solberg and Kristofferson?

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

mknight
19th October 2019, 13:23
Who means he is "ready" ? Doesn't mean much if only he or his father means it and nobody wants to pay.
Tidemand has been "ready" for WRC for last 3 years...

skarderud
19th October 2019, 15:04
I understanded that it is a closed deal, but "forgot" to ask about more details.

deephouse
19th October 2019, 16:14
I can see VW entering now when their biggest and only rival is probably out. I say easy win and cowardly if that really happens. But it is necessary to have works teams in that class too.

Rallyper
19th October 2019, 17:05
Yeah. Should be VW. But what about Toyota R5? Will they do WRC2 too? What do you say, Paavo?

Jarek Z
19th October 2019, 18:26
Heard today that Veiby is ready for a factoryseat next year

Really? How come? Is it not required to have any achievements in this sport first?

Jarek Z
19th October 2019, 18:30
it is necessary to have works teams in that class too.

Really? Why? To ruin the competition?

There are no works teams in WRC2 this year and the competition is better than ever. With just 2 rounds to go there are 6 drivers with a chance for the title:

Morte66
22nd October 2019, 08:27
Really? Why? To ruin the competition?

There are no works teams in WRC2 this year and the competition is better than ever.

Agreed. I think WRC2 Pro has been a definite success at the thing it was meant to do: stopping the factory teams stomping the privateers in WRC2.

However, it has been a failure at creating a between-WRC-and-WRC2 championship worth following.

AnttiL
22nd October 2019, 08:36
Why to have factory teams at WRC2? Because they pay salary to young drivers.

denkimi
22nd October 2019, 10:48
Why to have factory teams at WRC2? Because they pay salary to young drivers.
Do they?

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd October 2019, 11:54
Heard today that Veiby is ready for a factoryseat next year, what can it be?
Not Škoda i presume:)

Hyundai or citröen maybe, or some semi-factory VW team? Together with Solberg and Kristofferson?

M-Sport ?

Mirek
22nd October 2019, 13:41
Agreed. I think WRC2 Pro has been a definite success at the thing it was meant to do: stopping the factory teams stomping the privateers in WRC2.

However, it has been a failure at creating a between-WRC-and-WRC2 championship worth following.

The WRC2 Pro was organized to milk money from Škoda. What if Škoda won't stand in the same river twice?

Got Mail
22nd October 2019, 14:36
The WRC2 Pro was organized to milk money from Škoda. What if Škoda won't stand in the same river twice?

I heard it was Hrabanek's idea in the first place.

Rally Power
25th October 2019, 19:59
Nice pace from WRC2 drivers, among the Pro’s in the overall classification. It proves, once more, that the series split is a stupid idea.

AnttiL
25th October 2019, 20:38
Nice pace from WRC2 drivers, among the Pro’s in the overall classification. It proves, once more, that the series split is a stupid idea.

The Pro title is in the bag. It changes the game.

KKS
25th October 2019, 22:39
Mads with C3R5 and another with brake issues on that car
https://twitter.com/MadsOstberg/status/1187807872291356672

Rally Power
26th October 2019, 11:51
The Pro title is in the bag. It changes the game.

Ostberg was pushing hard yesterday and today it seems Rovanpera and Kopecky are also doing it, without being able to be faster than private WRC2 drivers. Private crews were also in Pro’s pace most of the season, at least until their direct competitors issues made them to slow.

Regrettably, it seems the FIA can't get it: having 2 or 3 crews fighting for two separate classes will always be less exciting than having 6 on a combined one.

Got Mail
26th October 2019, 12:58
Ostberg was pushing hard yesterday and today it seems Rovanpera and Kopecky are also doing it, without being able to be faster than private WRC2 drivers. Private crews were also in Pro’s pace most of the season, at least until their direct competitors issues made them to slow.

Regrettably, it seems the FIA can't get it: having 2 or 3 crews fighting for two separate classes will always be less exciting than having 6 on a combined one.

It seems they have 'got it' as the rules change completely for 2020.

Rally Power
26th October 2019, 16:42
It seems they have 'got it' as the rules change completely for 2020.

Have they? To me they’re justing renaming the classes and allowing manus to formally use semi-official entries in WRC2 (as Citroen is doing through DG Racing and Skoda did a couple of times with TGS or Printsport) while most private crews will just swop to WRC3.

Again, dividing drivers that are using the same type of cars is nonsense and it could be easily avoided by having a Privateer Cup inside WRC2.

Jarek Z
26th October 2019, 18:37
Private crews were also in Pro’s pace most of the season

Were they? I have just checked it and... there were exactly 3 rallies where WRC2 winner was faster than the winner of WRC2 Pro:
1. Tour de Corse (Andolfi)
2. Rally Sweden (Veiby)
3. Rally Guanajuato Mexico (Guerra).

In the remaining 9 rounds WRC2Pro winners were faster.

Jarek Z
26th October 2019, 23:37
Are donuts allowed in Catalunya?
https://www.facebook.com/rallypl/videos/537129820451658/

Rally Power
27th October 2019, 08:36
Were they? I have just checked it and... there were exactly 3 rallies where WRC2 winner was faster than the winner of WRC2 Pro:
1. Tour de Corse (Andolfi)
2. Rally Sweden (Veiby)
3. Rally Guanajuato Mexico (Guerra).
In the remaining 9 rounds WRC2Pro winners were faster.

To be in the pace during a rally doesn’t necessarily mean to finish at the front. Loubet and Gryazin were in Pro’s pace in several events, Bonato was in MC and Corsica, Veiby in Portugal, Lefebvre and Ciamin in Germany, Kajto in Turkey, Camilli in Corsica and now in Catalunya, etc, etc.

In those cases, and some more, leading WRC2 drivers started slowing down to secure points for their separated classification, as they don’t get any recognition for finishing at the front of WRC2 Pro’s. That’s absurd.

Got Mail
27th October 2019, 15:51
Did anyone hear what Jan said about his engineer at the finish line of the power stage?

I couldn't quite hear it.

dimviii
27th October 2019, 15:54
he thanked him,seems like good bye to skoda.

Got Mail
27th October 2019, 16:00

Thanks.

I wonder who will be partnering Oliver next year then. Running a single car is an expensive way to go rallying.

RS
27th October 2019, 18:38

I don’t think he said anything out of the ordinary. Wasn’t much fanfare if it was Kopecky and/or Skoda Motorsport’s last event.

Press release said this: At the final WRC round in Australia, only a ŠKODA crew can win the WRC 2 championship for private teams. Our customers around the world are rallying successfully with the 311 cars we sold. We have a big responsibility towards our customers and will now fully concentrate on preparing next season properly.”

Source: https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/rallyracc-catalunya-jan-kopecky-and-kalle-rovanpera-crown-season-for-skoda-by-securing-the-wrc-2-pro-manufacturers-title/

RS
27th October 2019, 19:08
interview with Kopecky on auto.cz.. he says:

- He’s not retiring
- Jan Hlousek was on loan from Mares for two events only
- Has no contract for next year ‘We’ll see what happens to Skoda Motorsport factory team, there is a lot of confusion compared to previous years”

https://www.auto.cz/katalanska-rallye-v-cili-neuville-vyhral-tanak-mistrem-sveta-131794

Mirek
27th October 2019, 20:06
I guess that he will start only as a privateer next year.

Rally Power
27th October 2019, 20:26
interview with Kopecky on auto.cz.. he says:
- He’s not retiring
- Has no contract for next year ‘We’ll see what happens to Skoda Motorsport factory team, there is a lot of confusion compared to previous years”

Perfect timing for Mr. Wilson to sign Kopecky? He’d be quite useful fixing the Mk2 Fiesta.

Btw, it was nice to see Ostberg pushing harder and moaning less, showing that he and the C3 can be fast anywhere; congrats to him, Eriksen and DG Racing. Congrats also to Camilli, pretty competent on his first C3 outing. Hopefully, a good boost for the car sales.

Jarek Z
27th October 2019, 20:54
WRC2 provisional standings after Catalunya:
1. Pierre-Louis Loubet - 91 pts
2. Kajto - 88
3. Benito Guerra - 75
4. Nikolai Gryazin - 73
5. Fabio Andolfi - 64.

Loubet will be champion in Australia.

Andre Oliveira
27th October 2019, 21:37
Perfect timing for Mr. Wilson to sign Kopecky? He’d be quite useful fixing the Mk2 Fiesta.

Btw, it was nice to see Ostberg pushing harder and moaning less, showing that he and the C3 can be fast anywhere; congrats to him, Eriksen and DG Racing. Congrats also to Camilli, pretty competent on his first C3 outing. Hopefully, a good boost for the car sales.

That would be a brilliant move.

Mirek
27th October 2019, 23:21
That would be a brilliant move.

AFAIK there was a time when both were close to a deal.

RS
27th October 2019, 23:36
I guess that he will start only as a privateer next year.

He mentions ‘on tarmac at least we can show something’.. Shame there’s only two full asphalt rounds next year and they’re both at the end of the year.

So no Skoda Motorsport next year or are we awaiting a decision from the board?

RS
27th October 2019, 23:37

Or the Hyundai R5.. Germany is closer to home too..

Mirek
27th October 2019, 23:49
So no Skoda Motorsport next year or are we awaiting a decision from the board?

I doubt they know even even in Škoda atm...

Myrvold
28th October 2019, 00:15

And getting the 3rd WRC car for tarmac events?

I know, that's not likely at all. I just want to see Kopecky in a WRC car again.

Got Mail
29th October 2019, 07:46
I doubt they know even even in Škoda atm...

Oliver Solberg will be very disappointed, as I understand he has already signed a 3 year contract with them.

Of course, that could be run through a satellite team.

pantealex
29th October 2019, 08:16
WRC2 provisional standings after Catalunya:
1. Pierre-Louis Loubet - 91 pts
2. Kajto - 88
3. Benito Guerra - 75
4. Nikolai Gryazin - 73
5. Fabio Andolfi - 64.

Loubet will be champion in Australia.

Champion is Loubet or Guerra but

Guerra must be 1st or 2nd and Loubet must be non finisher.

There is only 5 entries and even that 5th place is enough for Loubet no matter what Guerra does. (Probably all 5 will not even start)

RS
29th October 2019, 08:44
Oliver Solberg will be very disappointed, as I understand he has already signed a 3 year contract with them.

Of course, that could be run through a satellite team.

That would all be nice timing for Skoda to come back in 2022 with a new hybrid Fabia WRC based on a new Fabia road car :)

deephouse
29th October 2019, 12:07
It clashes with VAG philosophy. If can't win it why even bother to start. I don't believe they will come.

RS
29th October 2019, 13:33
It clashes with VAG philosophy. If can't win it why even bother to start. I don't believe they will come.

Why don't you believe they could win?

deephouse
29th October 2019, 16:30
Against whom?

What bothers me that VW pull out just before Toyota came, Hyundai developed into a decent challenger, Ford building a strong machine (they are always ahead of everyone at the start) and Citroen came back after one year of development stage. That's 4 rivals. Then Skoda in WRC2 had a blast of a car, nobody could match it for a few years and maybe a huge roll too when there were no other works teams also there. (I don't count M-Sport because they have development drivers or just part seasons). And again at the VW. They claim ''diesel scandal'' and build new reg polo, ditch it and instead put millions of euros at the ID.R and break the record straight away again without matching rivals. Now Skoda is apparently moving out. Just after there are many of other R5's (Polo, i20, C3, Fiesta, Iriz) and Yaris coming, new i20 with works team support and two drivers.

I'm not against them, just want to see the real fight and see if it is really that dominant. Look how Hyundai struggle to get the title but they are not ''cowards'' and I believe they will achieve it.

RS
29th October 2019, 18:50
Thanks for your detailed explanation. I see where you are coming from, however if Skoda do indeed pull the works team and move onto some new project the timing would be about normal as the current Fabia road car is in the latter half of it’s life cycle.

I don’t necessarily think they would dominate if they were to come with a new WRCar but I have every confidence they would do a hell of a lot better than last time they tried!

mousti
29th October 2019, 19:19
ActuRallye reports that Guerra won't start in Australia..

Mirek
29th October 2019, 19:32
Against whom?

What bothers me that VW pull out just before Toyota came, Hyundai developed into a decent challenger, Ford building a strong machine (they are always ahead of everyone at the start) and Citroen came back after one year of development stage. That's 4 rivals. Then Skoda in WRC2 had a blast of a car, nobody could match it for a few years and maybe a huge roll too when there were no other works teams also there. (I don't count M-Sport because they have development drivers or just part seasons). And again at the VW. They claim ''diesel scandal'' and build new reg polo, ditch it and instead put millions of euros at the ID.R and break the record straight away again without matching rivals. Now Skoda is apparently moving out. Just after there are many of other R5's (Polo, i20, C3, Fiesta, Iriz) and Yaris coming, new i20 with works team support and two drivers.

I'm not against them, just want to see the real fight and see if it is really that dominant. Look how Hyundai struggle to get the title but they are not ''cowards'' and I believe they will achieve it.

Sir, You clearly don't work in a global company :D Please try to understand that it's not the motorsport department who has the word in strategical planning and that bravery has no value in the decision making process.

VW didn't leave because of some fictional fear of the compatition but because of pressure of its own labor union in a situation when twenty thousand employees were about to be fired.

Škoda, if it leaves (that's not clear now), doesn't leave because of fear of competition. Why should they fear anything? They won IRC, ERC, WRC2 and WRC2 Pro against Abarth, Peugeot, Citroën, M-Sport, Hyundai, Proton or in short everyone who stood against them through the years. They couldn't defeat someone who was not present. Maybe simply after a decade the marketing value of the continuos rule isn't that big anymore. Add to that the massive pressure on electrification which is a very real thing inside VAG...

Jarek Z
2nd November 2019, 11:04
Champion is Loubet or Guerra but

Guerra must be 1st or 2nd and Loubet must be non finisher.

There is only 5 entries and even that 5th place is enough for Loubet no matter what Guerra does. (Probably all 5 will not even start)

From the last rumours - Guerra, Bulacia and Andolfi are not coming to Australia, so the number of competitors in WRC2 drops down to just 2.

If Skoda pull out their entry for Kopecky, then the number of competitors in WRC2 Pro will be reduced to 0.

PLuto
2nd November 2019, 17:10
From the last rumours - Guerra, Bulacia and Andolfi are not coming to Australia, so the number of competitors in WRC2 drops down to just 2.

If Skoda pull out their entry for Kopecky, then the number of competitors in WRC2 Pro will be reduced to 0.

Kopecky was on entry list only in case of "not good enough" result in Catalunya. So he will not start in Australia too.

Sub_Skoda
2nd November 2019, 18:10

Sad to see Loubet is the WRC-2 winner with a better budget and most rally entries than Kajto or Gryazin...

RS
2nd November 2019, 19:44
Sad to see Loubet is the WRC-2 winner with a better budget and most rally entries than Kajto or Gryazin...

Loubet is pretty good.. I think he deserves it.

pantealex
3rd November 2019, 07:33

Kajto has 7 starts
Gryazin has 7 starts

Loubet has 6 starts but is points leader

For me Loubet is right champion.

AnttiL
3rd November 2019, 07:52
Loubet also the only one with two wins. No retirements either. Deserved title I say.

denkimi
3rd November 2019, 10:32
Loubet is driving the rallye du condroz this weekend. I have to say i'm not exactly impressed by his times.

MartijnS
3rd November 2019, 11:38
He wasn’t impressive to see too.