PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & Rumours 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Essaj
5th August 2018, 23:08
Amount of profit they're making is so unreal. How Toyota even accepts that?

mknight
5th August 2018, 23:29
One option can be that they got bonuses for every podium and even better for first place since they weren't really expected to have many in the first year.
Now when making the budget for the year they can't count they will get the bonuses and if they then get them they only add up.

tomhlord
6th August 2018, 09:50
Amount of profit they're making is so unreal. How Toyota even accepts that?

Is it? Prodrive, M-Sport, TMR and anyone else who is effectively a motorsport agency for a manufacturer are in the game to make profit.

AMSS
6th August 2018, 10:39
Is it? Prodrive, M-Sport, TMR and anyone else who is effectively a motorsport agency for a manufacturer are in the game to make profit.

Well had Toyota used their own factory/facilities in Köln they probably could have saved TMR:s profit at least..

Essaj
6th August 2018, 11:20

But taking that amount of a cut from the budget without winning any championships etc sounds pretty insane to me. Use the money to win and then make the profit.

Tarmop
6th August 2018, 12:08
Toyota`s pure profit was 5.88 BILLION dollars during the last quarter so probably they see no problem in TMR`s profit also...

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2018, 13:07
CONFIRMED: Five-time rally world champion @SebOgier will line up in the @MercedesAMG C 63 @DTM as a guest entrant at Spielberg! #SalutSeb #DTM #ranDTM https://t.co/slGgbCLSSA

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2018, 13:12
💬 "This is a very exciting experience. I see it as an opportunity to broaden my racing horizons and gain more experience."
- @SebOgier

https://t.co/FZZb22GXTV

Sounds to me like he's looking elsewhere away from WRC for his future.

Simmi
7th August 2018, 14:01
Very interesting. Not his first circuit racing foray, but at this stage in his career let's see how he gets on and whether his head gets turned. Tough series to be dropped into the middle of though...

mknight
7th August 2018, 14:03
If he looses title I don't think he'll leave.

If he wins it's more likely than last year as he has shown real speed again so he would retire on a high.

Barreis
7th August 2018, 14:43
Ogier and DTM photos
https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/photos/?filters%5Bevent%5D%5B0%5D=260194

spiderem
7th August 2018, 15:14
I'm surprised to see him on a Mercedes, i guess he has no links anymore with VW at all (Audi in dtm)?

pantealex
7th August 2018, 16:10
I'm surprised to see him on a Mercedes, i guess he has no links anymore with VW at all (Audi in dtm)?

Personal links doesn´t matter, M-Sport says what and where he can drive...

N.O.T
7th August 2018, 16:59

LOL... are you "special" canada ? why would he have any connections with VW ??

spiderem
7th August 2018, 18:50
LOL... are you "special" canada ? why would he have any connections with VW ??

No one is as "special" as you

COD
7th August 2018, 20:11
Well had Toyota used their own factory/facilities in Köln they probably could have saved TMR:s profit at least..

Not that straightforward. They might have used the money on something else. And would they have had the results? Is there a price for positive publicity?

jbmarcus21
8th August 2018, 08:24
Sébastien Loeb today in France for one day testing ► http://bit.ly/2AX6Q4W

AMSS
8th August 2018, 08:33
Not that straightforward. They might have used the money on something else. And would they have had the results? Is there a price for positive publicity?

Yes of course, and as someone wrote here even 6,8mill is pocket change for Toyota. My point was that building up a new facility and having to buy new machines etc instead of that already existing in Köln is extra costs even for Toyota and since TMR basically works independent from Toyota they naturally are in the business to make a profit as well.
All in all TMR has done a good job so I doubt them making a profit is of concern for Toyota

SubaruNorway
8th August 2018, 10:00
Yes of course, and as someone wrote here even 6,8mill is pocket change for Toyota. My point was that building up a new facility and having to buy new machines etc instead of that already existing in Köln is extra costs even for Toyota and since TMR basically works independent from Toyota they naturally are in the business to make a profit as well.
All in all TMR has done a good job so I doubt them making a profit is of concern for Toyota

But then they wouldn't have the huge advantage of being able to use gravel and snow roads 50km from the Puuppola base.

AnttiL
8th August 2018, 10:20
That is also why they move only partially to Estonia

tomhlord
8th August 2018, 10:38
Sébastien Loeb today in France for one day testing ► http://bit.ly/2AX6Q4W

Very interesting!

AnttiL
8th August 2018, 11:06
Very interesting!

His PET for Catalynua? Also good to have him testing before Deutschland?

AMSS
8th August 2018, 11:25
But then they wouldn't have the huge advantage of being able to use gravel and snow roads 50km from the Puuppola base.

True

jbmarcus21
8th August 2018, 14:14
Video Test Days Loeb today in France to prepare Rallyracc with C3WRC

► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PqBgvghUFA

mknight
9th August 2018, 23:32
Time to kick off some rumors again (taken from autosport podcast)

Makkinen supposedly saying in Finland that his ideal lineup for next year would be Ogier, Neuville, Tanak. Well Toyota could probably afford it, but would say Neuville want to be in a team like that? Also wasn't he supposedly uninterested in Ogier even last year?

Lappi as a possible lead driver for Citroen (in case Ogier doesn't go there). That's imo an interesting thought. Doesn't look likely, but would be interesting on many levels. Lappi, Breen and Østberg looks like decent team for probably not that much money. Still no "established" tarmac driver (2 good legs on Corsica for Lappi is not enough for me).

Essaj
9th August 2018, 23:51

Makkinen supposedly saying in Finland that his ideal lineup for next year would be Ogier, Neuville, Tanak. Well Toyota could probably afford it, but would say Neuville want to be in a team like that? Also wasn't he supposedly uninterested in Ogier even last year?

Wouldn't that be the dream line up for every team? TOP-3 drivers currently in WRC.

Lappi as a possible lead driver for Citroen (in case Ogier doesn't go there). That's imo an interesting thought. Doesn't look likely, but would be interesting on many levels. Lappi, Breen and Østberg looks like decent team for probably not that much money. Still no "established" tarmac driver (2 good legs on Corsica for Lappi is not enough for me).

Would prefer to see Latvala in Citroen. 1st driver status fits for Latvala.

GravelBen
10th August 2018, 01:10
Wouldn't that be the dream line up for every team? TOP-3 drivers currently in WRC.

:D Doesn't take a rocket scientist to suggest that line-up does it!

EstWRC
10th August 2018, 06:04

Makkinen supposedly saying in Finland that his ideal lineup for next year would be Ogier, Neuville, Tanak. Well Toyota could probably afford it, but would say Neuville want to be in a team like that?

to add some more fuel :D ...

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38134299_1959832274307228_3839226027003871232_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=6f31cb5e6e1f2cfe1aa87c0494e488f9&oe=5BC5CC83

gheeD
10th August 2018, 13:33
https://p1.wrc.com/

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/august-2018/nano-nino/page/5643--12-12-.html

WRC FANS CAN ENJOY A HOST OF BIG MONEY DISCOUNTS AND EXCITING BENEFITS FOLLOWING THE LAUNCH OF AN EXCLUSIVE MEMBERSHIP SCHEME WITH SPANISH COMPANY NANO NINO.

The ‘WRC P1’ scheme provides members with a promotional WRC fan card and the opportunity to apply for a pre-paid credit card.

The scheme has been born following confirmation of a multi-year agreement between WRC Promoter and Nano Nino to become the next official supplier to the FIA World Rally Championship.

Ownership of both cards, which carry the distinctive WRC logo, offers big savings when purchasing items with selected championship partners and official WRC outlets.

These include the WRC shop and the WRC+ platform which hosts the highly successful All Live TV programme from every championship round.

jbmarcus21
10th August 2018, 13:56
Today Ogier testing for Deutschland Rallye, video ► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhz-VcwsAs

AnttiL
10th August 2018, 18:59

Makkinen supposedly saying in Finland that his ideal lineup for next year would be Ogier, Neuville, Tanak.

Having heard the Finnish interview, I can assure you it was a dry joke. It was on topic of Latvala’s status in the team and he said the current lineup is so good it could be only made better by replacing the Finns with Ogier and Neuville.

rallyace
10th August 2018, 20:58
Hyundai not happy. :D

spiderem
13th August 2018, 23:57
fyi FX Demaison married Marie-Pierre Rossi (PR Citroen) this week end, with Peter Solberg and Marcus Gronholm as best men... Rallying is definitely a small world.

Rally Hokkaido
14th August 2018, 01:25
fyi FX Demaison married Marie-Pierre Rossi (PR Citroen) this week end, with Peter Solberg and Marcus Gronholm as best men... Rallying is definitely a small world.

When FX was still with Peugeot I asked him what they talked about at dinner time. He replied, "anything but WRC!" (They have been together for a long time)

mknight
14th August 2018, 09:20

Pic:
https://twitter.com/Petter_Solberg/status/1028607366915342338

(note how small Petter is compared with Marcus)

BigWorm
14th August 2018, 13:27
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/138014/neuville-closing-on-new-hyundai-contract

Neuville sticking with Hyundai

joannano
14th August 2018, 14:12
Hello folks!

I don't want to spam you or anything like that! But I would like to know if you had the chance to see this new fan scheme announced by WRC:

Press release: https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/august-2018/nano-nino/page/5643--12-12-.html

I'm heading to Germany this weekend, and got very curious about it! Anyone else had a chance to see it?

mknight
14th August 2018, 14:16
It's not confirmed yet.

However I can see Hyundai preferring Neuville over Ogier at this point (he knows the car/team and can fight for title, Ogier would be an unknown and possibly costly as well). Only question is if Citroen might try to snatch Neuville. (Msport likely working hard to keep Ogier).

As to the other positions. I think Hyundai is actually quite satisfied with their lineup this year. Sure Mikkelsen is underperforming and so is Paddon (compared with 2016) but overall the results are decent enough. Question is if the drivers, or more specially Paddon is satisfied or whether he'd prefer to go to Citroen to do full season instead. (I can't see Hyundai letting Paddon drive full season instead of Mikkelsen due to his tarmac pace and Sordo said he doesn't want to do full season any more). One interesting option might be to try to get Lappi for a full season.

Overall if we count with 3 seats at Citroen there are 12 seats in WRC teams and 12 drivers (Paddon and Sordo sharing). While numerous drivers are underperforming (Latvala, Mikkelsen, Evans ++) they have all shown some good results/times as well. So there is no driver that clearly doesn't seem to deserve a seat (like Lefevbre looked last year).

At the same time how many drivers are there outside that you would instantly put into WRC manu car? I'd say 2: Meeke and Tidemand. Meeke is a lottery, possibly a costly one. So that leaves Tidemand which has no experience with WRC car yet. Sure some team might try to get some talent in early and see how it turns out, but it was usually Msport doing that and they already have kind of a low-cost "young" team with Evans and Suninen. Toyota has Lappi and Citroen Breen. Hyundai might let Huttunen in at some point but it's now too early.

pantealex
14th August 2018, 15:25
It's not confirmed yet.

However I can see Hyundai preferring Neuville over Ogier at this point (he knows the car/team and can fight for title, Ogier would be an unknown and possibly costly as well). Only question is if Citroen might try to snatch Neuville. (Msport likely working hard to keep Ogier).

As to the other positions. I think Hyundai is actually quite satisfied with their lineup this year. Sure Mikkelsen is underperforming and so is Paddon (compared with 2016) but overall the results are decent enough. Question is if the drivers, or more specially Paddon is satisfied or whether he'd prefer to go to Citroen to do full season instead. (I can't see Hyundai letting Paddon drive full season instead of Mikkelsen due to his tarmac pace and Sordo said he doesn't want to do full season any more). One interesting option might be to try to get Lappi for a full season.

Overall if we count with 3 seats at Citroen there are 12 seats in WRC teams and 12 drivers (Paddon and Sordo sharing). While numerous drivers are underperforming (Latvala, Mikkelsen, Evans ++) they have all shown some good results/times as well. So there is no driver that clearly doesn't seem to deserve a seat (like Lefevbre looked last year).

At the same time how many drivers are there outside that you would instantly put into WRC manu car? I'd say 2: Meeke and Tidemand. Meeke is a lottery, possibly a costly one. So that leaves Tidemand which has no experience with WRC car yet. Sure some team might try to get some talent in early and see how it turns out, but it was usually Msport doing that and they already have kind of a low-cost "young" team with Evans and Suninen. Toyota has Lappi and Citroen Breen. Hyundai might let Huttunen in at some point but it's now too early.

If both Ogier and Neuville stays, which is probably happening.
And citroen keeps Breen and Østberg who will be 3rd and likely leading Citroen driver ?

I believe we have 1 open factory seat if Paddon/Sordo keep sharing or if Paddon goes somewhere and Sordo doesn´t want full season Hyundai needs 0,5 driver.

mknight
14th August 2018, 16:27
And citroen keeps Breen and Østberg who will be 3rd and likely leading Citroen driver ?

That's the big question. Off course they will try to get Ogier, but also need plan B ( ulike last year). They could try to get Lappi, Paddon, Latvala or possibly Tidemand (not as lead driver though).

AnttiL
14th August 2018, 17:58
Jouhki says Latvala and Suninen have contracts for 2019 full seasons, but team names cannot be revealed yet. Great for Teemu!

Also repeated what's been said earlier of Rovanperä, the Skoda contract is 3 years, but if a WRC team is interested in him after two years and he has been successful enough with Skoda, he is free to go. Many teams are already interested in him for 2020.

Interview in Finnish: https://www.aamulehti.fi/urheilu/rallimanageri-paljasti-kovia-sopimusuutisia-latvalalle-solmittu-uusi-sopimus-suninen-ajaa-ensi-vuonna-tayden-kauden-mm-sarjassa-201136756

Fast Eddie WRC
14th August 2018, 18:38

I believe we have 1 open factory seat if Paddon/Sordo keep sharing or if Paddon goes somewhere and Sordo doesn´t want full season Hyundai needs 0,5 driver.

Sordo to Citroen makes sense as he has history there... plus Spain is a huge market for Citroen road cars.

Paddon's links with Hyundai NZ are strong, makes sense he stays with them.

ESTR
14th August 2018, 19:10
As long as Ogi don't go to Hyundai I'm happy with it. Now just hope that Paddon and Sordo stays too. Hope that Tidemand get a seat somewhere over Rovanperra. We all know why. Rovanperra is quick but needs to finish all rallies first. Who I really don't want to get back is Loeb or some bloke from F1.

Allez Andruet
14th August 2018, 19:24
Hope that Tidemand get a seat somewhere over Rovanperra. We all know why.
Let me guess: because you can't spell his name correctly?

AnttiL
14th August 2018, 20:38
If Citroen fails to get a no 1 driver, will they go back to trying to get Loeb for a full season?

spiderem
14th August 2018, 21:00
If Citroen fails to get a no 1 driver, will they go back to trying to get Loeb for a full season?

for sure they will try, but it sounds that the money required to convince loeb of a full time return could be a lot more than Ogier's price tag imo.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th August 2018, 21:09
There are only three 'No.1 driver's' - Ogier, Neuville and Tanak.

If Citroen cant get one of these, then Sordo is 5th in the currrent WRC table and having a good year.

Lappi or Latvala... I dont see them leaving Toyota.

Zeakiwi
14th August 2018, 22:38
Who is the best all round french rally driver after Ogier (other than Loeb) now - Camilli, Lefebvre etc

spiderem
14th August 2018, 23:06
could we see a return of Hanninen as part time driver?! after all he did a good job developing the toyota...

nafpaktos
14th August 2018, 23:31
If Citroen can't get one of these, then Sordo is 5th in the currrent WRC table and having a good year.
it will be pity for such team not having a number one driver.Ok this year was Meeke even thought he didn't prove it,but at least they had a hope that he may drive properly to some rallies.I think 2019 it will be the first year (if ogier wont join the team) that citroen will not have a driver able to reach the top of podium.

AnttiL
15th August 2018, 06:18
could we see a return of Hanninen as part time driver?! after all he did a good job developing the toyota...

Why? I mean, he started to get his form together towards the end of 2017 but if he started again from scratch after a year's break, he would be out of pace for a long time. I think Toyota benefits from having him as a test and gravel crew driver, and his co-driver is now the sporting director at the team.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th August 2018, 09:41
Next year agreed for Latvala, Suninen and Kalle Rovanperä. Details still to be finalized, confirmed by manager Jouhki.

https://twitter.com/buagsports/status/1029430959052124160

AnttiL
15th August 2018, 09:49
Eddie do you ever read the threads before posting? Most of the time you’re just repeating what’s already been discussed.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th August 2018, 10:14
Eddie do you ever read the threads before posting? Most of the time you’re just repeating what’s already been discussed.

I missed your post but there was no further discussion so maybe that's why...

EstWRC
15th August 2018, 16:42
FIA and WRC to discuss how to measure stage safety at Rally Germany

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/138041/fia-and-wrc-to-discuss-measuring-stage-safety

The FIA recommends that stages' average speeds do not exceed 130km/h (80mph), which led to the cancellation of the second run of the Knon stage in Sweden in 2017 when Ott Tanak won its first use at an average of 138km/h (85mph).

"That stage wasn't dangerous, and I don't think there's a safety issue when we're using the wide roads in Finland," Tanak told Autosport.

"The average speed doesn't show so much. There are more and more dangerous places where the trees are very close [in the narrow sections]. These are the bad places - the wide road doesn't make the route dangerous. Look at Corsica, there is a narrow road and that's more dangerous."

Citroen's Craig Breen agreed the time had come to change how stage safety was assessed.

"That stage in Sweden last year, that was one of the safest stages of the championship," he argued.

"The speed is not the ultimate element of danger, it's the need for an eye for the detail and looking at this and saying, 'Yes, that's dangerous', whether that's a corner or a section or whatever.

"That's what we need, not somebody sitting down and looking at a sheet of paper or a graph or whatever and saying: 'That's too fast!'

totally agree with Breen and Tänak....i think we already had a long debate here last year about this, that FIA made these fantastic new beasts with new rules and now they want to bring the speeds down.

SubaruNorway
15th August 2018, 17:38
It's been a while since i drove the Knon stage but from what i remember it had a lot of sections with clear cuts and only small bushes so not very dangerous for drivers or spectators, they seem to forget that the wide open roads are safer for spectators where you often don't have to be so close to the road to see properly.

er88
16th August 2018, 22:50
Managed to go back and watch the interview with Budar on AllLive. Good to see Porter pressing him on next year's plans. No harm in a few difficult questions to team managers every now and then.

I hope Citroen don't back themselves into a corner again though. They've said they want a driver who can win any rally on any surface and challenge for the championship, so at the moment that is only Neuville, Ogier & Tanak. But Ott is under contract so not available. Only other option could be Lappi but that's putting faith in potential more than what he can definitely deliver now and next season. I still don't see Ogier, Neuville (or even Lappi) going there. They basically need to offer the biggest contract in wrc history to attract Seb or Thierry, and even then it probably won't be enough - unless Seb feels he has unfinished business at Citroen or wants to go back to a manufacturer (and French) team.

the sniper
17th August 2018, 02:04
Link already posted in the ERC thread by Eddie, but probably worth pointing out here that Chris Ingram has confirmed in this podcast with Colin Clark that he'll do Rally GB in his Toksport Skoda. Hints that he might do another WRC rally this year too, Colin hints Turkey due to Toksport's roots.

https://youtu.be/vxbi14H_XKA

Well worth watching the full thing.

mknight
17th August 2018, 03:57
They've said they want a driver who can win any rally on any surface and challenge for the championship, so at the moment that is only Neuville, Ogier & Tanak. But Ott is under contract so not available. Only other option could be Lappi but that's putting faith in potential more than what he can definitely deliver now and next season.

Latvala (and Mikkelsen who has contract) have also shown they can win rally on any surface in the past. So if Ogier or Neuville dont work out he might be an option instead of Lappi. Hard to pick between those. Lappi has still not won tarmac and doesn't have experience on many rallies which showed this year. Latvala and his psychology is a lottery.

AnttiL
17th August 2018, 05:38
https://rallysportmag.com/interview-nandan-explains-hyundais-finland-disaster/

Nandan says they will not make contracts for next year before Rally Turkey. Continuing with current four drivers is an option.

EstWRC
17th August 2018, 06:35
Managed to go back and watch the interview with Budar on AllLive. Good to see Porter pressing him on next year's plans. No harm in a few difficult questions to team managers every now and then.

I hope Citroen don't back themselves into a corner again though. They've said they want a driver who can win any rally on any surface and challenge for the championship, so at the moment that is only Neuville, Ogier & Tanak. But Ott is under contract so not available. Only other option could be Lappi but that's putting faith in potential more than what he can definitely deliver now and next season. I still don't see Ogier, Neuville (or even Lappi) going there. They basically need to offer the biggest contract in wrc history to attract Seb or Thierry, and even then it probably won't be enough - unless Seb feels he has unfinished business at Citroen or wants to go back to a manufacturer (and French) team.

from yesterday

SO:" i think i will join you!"
CB: "oh, really? great!"
MO: "Shit, im doomed again"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dkvwz3aW4AApY1d.jpg

AnttiL
17th August 2018, 06:46
Why not Ogier-Breen-Østberg? Like I said earlier, it would be a good team with a championship contender, a young fast tarmac guy and a more experienced gravel guy.

EstWRC
17th August 2018, 06:57
i have nothing against that but in that case i think Breen and Ostberg would share the car IMO. Budar just said in an recent interview that everything in their team depends how much money they must pay for the top driver. And we have seen that so far these two seasons Citroen has mainly operated with two cars.

AnttiL
17th August 2018, 07:01
i have nothing against that but in that case i think Breen and Ostberg would share the car IMO. Budar just said in an recent interview that everything in their team depends how much money they must pay for the top driver. And we have seen that so far these two seasons Citroen has mainly operated with two cars.

Maybe Østberg could bring some of his own sponsor money, like this season?

AnttiL
17th August 2018, 07:10
Another thought: if Toyota and Hyundai keep their lead drivers and Ogier goes to Citroen, who is M-Sport’s lead driver? Evans? Meeke? Try to get Lappi or Sordo or Paddon?

EstWRC
17th August 2018, 07:11
lets hope it is enough(ostberg sponsor money i mean)...i also like this line-up Ogier, Breen and Ostberg for Citroen

but then again, M-sport with just Evans and Suninen?

Marcco
17th August 2018, 07:28
If Ogier goes to Citroen, then M-sport's doors are open for Meeke or Paddon :)

mknight
17th August 2018, 07:36
MSPORT has gone into money making mode numerous times before and after winning both champs. last year it is possible. In some ways it might be a preferred option cause MSPORT wont leave WRC while Citroen without some wins and real chance for title next year might.

ESTR
17th August 2018, 13:47
M-Sport's only option is Meeke (if Ogi goes out)

Rally Power
17th August 2018, 13:51
Why not Ogier-Breen-Østberg? Like I said earlier, it would be a good team with a championship contender, a young fast tarmac guy and a more experienced gravel guy.

Yep, it'd be great but with Mr. Tavares ‘doing more with less’ motto it’s hard to believe they'll eventually get the budget to sign Ogier; Tanak is unavailable and in the remote case Neuville decides to leave Hyundai he can prefer going to Toyota. If Citroen is serious about getting a winning driver for the next season, they should be already talking with the best out of the top 3: Lappi.

AnttiL
17th August 2018, 15:35
If Citroen is serious about getting a winning driver for the next season, they should be already talking with the best out of the top 3: Lappi.

Rumoredly they already are.

In addition to this, Lappi commented about his future this week "I have nothing to say about it"

https://www.aamulehti.fi/urheilu/latvala-helpottui-jatkouutisesta-paljon-rennompi-fiilis-lahtea-kisaan-201139767

Fast Eddie WRC
17th August 2018, 15:41
If Ogier wants to continue in 2019, whatever the 2018 Championship result, I cant see him thinking Citroen will be a more likely winning option that M-Sport Ford.

Fast Eddie WRC
17th August 2018, 15:43
M-Sport's only option is Meeke (if Ogi goes out)

Not if they go into 'money making mode'... ;)

racerx1979
17th August 2018, 16:16
Rumor has it someone in the Toyota squad will be leaving and it's not Tanak...

I actually hope it stays as it is, since they have a good squad.

eib1
17th August 2018, 16:27
Of course its not Tänak, he is under contract
Latvala to Citroen then

spiderem
17th August 2018, 16:48
well if you are citroen, you try to get Lappi + Breen, then Ostberg + fundings for gravel events, and Loeb for Tarmac. That way you have a pretty decent lineup for half the money.
No point investing in Latvala in my opinion. And i honestly think Ogier is not interested... but that's my own thinking.

wrc2017
17th August 2018, 16:50
Of course its not Tänak, he is under contract
Latvala to Citroen then

if latvala is not a toyota, he will be out.

wrc2017
17th August 2018, 16:52
well if you are citroen, you try to get Lappi + Breen, then Ostberg + fundings for gravel events, and Loeb for Tarmac. That way you have a pretty decent lineup for half the money.
No point investing in Latvala in my opinion. And i honestly think Ogier is not interested... but that's my own thinking.

Slowly loosing patience with Craig.. i dont think he has the last 1%

Otsberg is a one trick pony.

There is too many nearly men in top 10... Paddon, Mikkelsen, Sordo, Latvala, Evans, Breen, Otsberg.. all of which can not win a rally, if all things are equal.

Lappi is not a title contender. If they wanted someone to win rallys, they just sacked someone. Lappi has his fair share of incidents.

EstWRC
17th August 2018, 17:23

then he is out because he is definitely not a Toyota :p

AnttiL
17th August 2018, 17:27

Latvala has a deal for 2019, confirmed by his manager.

stefanvv
17th August 2018, 17:41
Latvala has a deal for 2019, confirmed by his manager.

He said in an interview today his manager is still working on a deal.

cali
17th August 2018, 17:58
Latvala has a deal for 2019, confirmed by his manager.As I understood he has a deal but the destination is not confirmed.

pantealex
17th August 2018, 18:18
He said in an interview today his manager is still working on a deal.

True, they have a deal but not contract yet, no names in papers.

mknight
17th August 2018, 18:42
Lappi to Citroen is like 2 levels more risky than Tänak to Toyota (which turned out surprisingly well).
By this time last year Tänak established he can win on both surfaces and was beating Ogier in same car.
While I agree Lappi looks speedwise as the 4th fastest driver this season he only has a si gle win and one more podium.

IMO one year too early to move for him.

AnttiL
17th August 2018, 18:45
As I understood he has a deal but the destination is not confirmed.

Confirmed but not published. Or then there are two possible destinations with confirmed deals...

eib1
17th August 2018, 19:31
if someone is leaving Toyota, it has to be Latvala. Don`t think Tommi will let Lappi go.

Seond possibility for me, is Ogier to Citroen and Latvala "back to home" like Hirvonen did few years ago

doubled1978
17th August 2018, 19:35
Wherever Latvala goes, he needs to be the fastest guy in the team. When he is challenged from within, the frailties (Self doubt) appear. When he is not, we see the best of him.

mknight
17th August 2018, 19:38
if someone is leaving Toyota, it has to be Latvala. Don`t think Tommi will let Lappi go.

Seond possibility for me, is Ogier to Citroen and Latvala "back to home" like Hirvonen did few years ago
But if he will let Latvala go it would have to be for a replacement that at least possibly can be better? Who should that be that is available? Or are Toyota pushing in the Japanese guy?
I hope for the championships sake Ogier or Neuville is not going to Toyota.

eib1
17th August 2018, 19:45
Ogier or Neuville to Toyota is worst thing could happen regarding championship
Those three has to be in different teams

my thoughts only because of rumour that someone is leaving Toyota, don`t think there is anybody better to replace Latvala
too early for Japanese guys...

Päss1928
17th August 2018, 20:15
But if he will let Latvala go it would have to be for a replacement that at least possibly can be better? Who should that be that is available? Or are Toyota pushing in the Japanese guy?
I hope for the championships sake Ogier or Neuville is not going to Toyota.

Maybe they traded Latvala for Suninen? Lappi can bring solid points so it wouldn't affect manu battle too much, especially given Latvalas form and trend so far in Toyota.

mknight
17th August 2018, 20:21
Maybe they traded Latvala for Suninen? Lappi can bring solid points so it wouldn't affect manu battle too much, especially given Latvalas form and trend so far in Toyota.

Possible, but then they will have 2 "coming" drivers. Lappi is still nowhere near stable points scorer imo. Speed yes, consistent results not yet.

AL14
17th August 2018, 20:44
Latvala is not a good deal nowadays, I don't think any team is willing to bring him in. I think it's very good for him to have extended his contract with Toyota. He will drive at maximum level once again, will be paid well, and will have a quite hot woman waiting for him at home every day.
He is a happy man, I would not worry about him.

Tauri_J
17th August 2018, 21:01

lol, why would Wilson do that? never gonna happen

mknight
17th August 2018, 21:32
Latvala is not a good deal nowadays, I don't think any team is willing to bring him in. I think it's very good for him to have extended his contract with Toyota. He will drive at maximum level once again, will be paid well, and will have a quite hot woman waiting for him at home every day.
He is a happy man, I would not worry about him.

Latvala looked similarly "finished" at end of 2016 though. Slowest of the team with crashes. That's when most people (including me) didn't understand why Tommi picked him instead of Mikkelsen.
And then he won Sweden and was in title fight until mid-season technical issues.

skarderud
17th August 2018, 22:02
If Tidemann is not at any discusions about a seat in an WRC next year, it's for sure that Skoda is back in 2020.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

wrc2017
17th August 2018, 22:02
Latvala looked similarly "finished" at end of 2016 though. Slowest of the team with crashes. That's when most people (including me) didn't understand why Tommi picked him instead of Mikkelsen.
And then he won Sweden and was in title fight until mid-season technical issues.

Latvala has been on the cusp of something big from 2002.. and driving a WRC for 16 years. it's not going to happen. ever.

AL14
17th August 2018, 22:03

Yes, he touched his peak in 2014 when he won 4 rallys, his first on tarmac, and in 2 of them he beat Ogier fair and square. Also after Alsace he was in a sort of title fight with only 3 rallys to go.
From 2015's Sweden off onwards it has been a slow descent, only interrupted as you said by his 2017 season, which I think it's his best perfomance wise. I don't think he will recover again from this season though.

AnttiL
21st August 2018, 06:34
https://www.rallit.fi/tallipaallikolta-ylistyslaulu-teemu-suniselle-ylitti-kaikkien-odotukset/

This news bit in Finnish says that Suninen will do all the rest of the rallies in a WRC Fiesta. Originally Australia wasn't a part of his program, and Wilson said he might skip some events at the end of the season if the manufacturer championship couldn't be won anymore.

ESTR
21st August 2018, 14:19
https://www.rallit.fi/tallipaallikolta-ylistyslaulu-teemu-suniselle-ylitti-kaikkien-odotukset/

This news bit in Finnish says that Suninen will do all the rest of the rallies in a WRC Fiesta. Originally Australia wasn't a part of his program, and Wilson said he might skip some events at the end of the season if the manufacturer championship couldn't be won anymore.

Yes but now they could be even 3rd, Toyoda is one dangerous man

jbmarcus21
26th August 2018, 16:08
After his victory in 2017, Lefebvre is back to Rallye le Béthunois this september with LEGEND Xsara #WRC ► http://bit.ly/2o8ZKkK

ESTR
26th August 2018, 18:43
After his victory in 2017, Lefebvre is back to Rallye le Béthunois this september with LEGEND Xsara #WRC ► http://bit.ly/2o8ZKkK

Ahh he needs to stick his fingers in RX. I think that he would be better over there. But again don't care about another frenchie.

dimviii
27th August 2018, 05:04
no good news
https://rallysportmag.com/another-health-scare-for-world-champion-luis-moya/

EstWRC
27th August 2018, 08:15
Haha, My shitty translation reached rallysport magazine https://rallysportmag.com/leading-driver-manager-gives-revealing-interview/

Franky
27th August 2018, 08:56
Sometimes it really seems that you hear something first on a rally forum and then you see it at a news site.

Hartusvuori
27th August 2018, 10:09
Haha, My shitty translation reached rallysport magazine https://rallysportmag.com/leading-driver-manager-gives-revealing-interview/

In my opinion, the most worrysome thing here is that it's Martin Holmes' name on the byline. I used to expect something new from him, not quoting other articles. Thanks EstWRC for the translation in the first place!

BigWorm
27th August 2018, 13:03

...so are you Martin Holmes?

EstWRC
27th August 2018, 13:36
No I'm Sherlock Holmes

KiwiWRCfan
27th August 2018, 20:31
In my opinion, the most worrysome thing here is that it's Martin Holmes' name on the byline. I used to expect something new from him, not quoting other articles. Thanks EstWRC for the translation in the first place!

In fairness to Martin Holmes he monitors rally news from all around world and plays a big role in getting it shared to larger audiences. Often Martin will add additional content to what was initially reported using his own extensive knowledge and archives. At other times Martin will take just key parts of a longer article. I would not call Martin a lazy journalist based upon a single item but look at all his work over several months before making a conclusion.

dimviii
28th August 2018, 20:24
skodas service truck

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/sports/motorsport/big-brother-check-out-the-service-truck/

wwbroe
29th August 2018, 10:55
Nice work:p

Rally Power
29th August 2018, 11:25
In fairness to Martin Holmes he monitors rally news from all around world and plays a big role in getting it shared to larger audiences. Often Martin will add additional content to what was initially reported using his own extensive knowledge and archives. At other times Martin will take just key parts of a longer article.

Still missing Mr. Holmes outstanding rally yearbooks!

sollitt
29th August 2018, 16:22
Still missing Mr. Holmes outstanding rally yearbooks!I have a full set available for sale if you want to add to your joy.

AndyRAC
29th August 2018, 22:32
Still missing Mr. Holmes outstanding rally yearbooks!

Yes, a shame they are no longer produced; and the original Rallycourse annuals......If there was a market for them, they'd still be in circulation.

GigiGalliNo1
30th August 2018, 07:19
I have a full set available for sale if you want to add to your joy.

DM'd.

jbmarcus21
30th August 2018, 09:54
Milano Racing revealed today new MR 500X R4 in collaboration with ORECA ► http://bit.ly/2C1U4Tm

Zeakiwi
30th August 2018, 10:47
Milano Racing revealed today new MR 500X R4 in collaboration with ORECA ► http://bit.ly/2C1U4Tm

Rallying definitely needs some more Italians back at some level. (maybe not bertelli so much)

jbmarcus21
4th September 2018, 14:05
VW confirms to enter TWO POLO R5 in Catalunya this october (drivers still not confirmed) ► http://bit.ly/2LYBZFL

steve.mandzij
4th September 2018, 21:27
Rallying definitely needs some more Italians back at some level. (maybe not bertelli so much)Bertelli was a kinda likeable guy though. One of the only pics I have from Rally Argentina 2017 is one of his matte and chrome car going over a bridge. It's quite nice.

AnttiL
5th September 2018, 05:11
Bertelli was a kinda likeable guy though. One of the only pics I have from Rally Argentina 2017 is one of his matte and chrome car going over a bridge. It's quite nice.

Nice livery yeah. Likeable guy? I don't know him personally. However I think he should have stuck to WRC2 with his skills.

jbmarcus21
11th September 2018, 14:50
VW confirms Eric Camilli as one of the two drivers of Polo R5 in Catalunya ► http://bit.ly/2N3Ymid

Mirek
11th September 2018, 18:17
Rallying definitely needs some more Italians back at some level. (maybe not bertelli so much)

Yes but who? The only one doing fairly well on the international level is Fabio Andolfi but he's still missing something and nobody else seem to be close.

KKS
11th September 2018, 22:05
VW confirms Eric Camilli as one of the two drivers of Polo R5 in Catalunya ► http://bit.ly/2N3Ymid
Did Camilli not have now some connections with M-Sport? And that kind of east switch to VW team is possible?

AnttiL
12th September 2018, 04:47
His M-Sport drives should be now over

RS
14th September 2018, 15:46
MotorsportTV to close: https://f1broadcasting.co/2018/09/14/tv-channel-motorsport-tv-to-close/

cali
14th September 2018, 16:44
MotorsportTV to close: https://f1broadcasting.co/2018/09/14/tv-channel-motorsport-tv-to-close/Pity

RS
14th September 2018, 19:02
skodas service truck

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/sports/motorsport/big-brother-check-out-the-service-truck/

Nice article, that Skoda-Storyboard site is pretty good.

IIRC Slambora was former co-driver of Jindrich Stolfa.

Also, interesting stat, top speed of the Fabia is 197k/mh.

jbmarcus21
16th September 2018, 12:06
after Turkey

Neuville 177

Tanak 164

Ogier 154

► http://bit.ly/XL8nl9

Toyota 284

Hyundai 279

Ford 244

Citroen 169

Jarek Z
19th September 2018, 11:13
We have a new World Champion! First European Junior champion and now World Junior champion - Emil Bergkvist. Congratulations! :)
Now he owns a Ford Fiesta R5 plus a tyre package from Pirelli :)

https://www.fiaerc.com/from-european-champion-to-world-champion-for-erc-junior-graduate-bergkvist/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efOddrePuYY

Fast Eddie WRC
19th September 2018, 11:27
MotorsportTV to close: https://f1broadcasting.co/2018/09/14/tv-channel-motorsport-tv-to-close/

Big shame. It was great for rally coverage of various national championships. I also prefer their WRC highlights with Julian Porter over the official ones.

jbmarcus21
19th September 2018, 11:56
Today Petter Solberg & Sébastien Loeb gives some advices to Oliver Solberg in Test Days with 208R2 ► http://bit.ly/2PLcBp5

jbmarcus21
19th September 2018, 14:54
Julien Ingrassia will drive yes he will drive Ford Fiesta #WRC this sunday in big french Hill Climb (Montée des Légendes Col de la Faucille). He joins Loeb, Vatanen, Duby, Jean-Joseph, Dumas, Grosjean ... ► http://bit.ly/2MLLuIK

dimviii
19th September 2018, 16:37
Today Petter Solberg & Sébastien Loeb gives some advices to Oliver Solberg in Test Days with 208R2 ► http://bit.ly/2PLcBp5

the end of test

https://twitter.com/Burgrid7/status/1042423307923087362

dimviii
20th September 2018, 21:09
Oliver testing the 208 r2 also today.
https://youtu.be/dmtmebZI3UM

RS
20th September 2018, 22:11
Big shame. It was great for rally coverage of various national championships. I also prefer their WRC highlights with Julian Porter over the official ones.

Yes, i guess that means no free to air daily highlights of WRC in the UK anymore, just Channel 5 review on the Monday.

nafpaktos
20th September 2018, 22:15
the end of test

https://twitter.com/Burgrid7/status/1042423307923087362

i suppose seb was not inside the car

dimviii
21st September 2018, 05:09
at one photo he is with jeans and t shirt,so probably not in the car

AnttiL
25th September 2018, 06:03
https://rallysportmag.com/interview-elfyn-evans-talks-m-sport-seb-ogier-and-rally-gb/

Good interview with Elfyn Evans, talking about the Wales Rally GB route and things in the M-Sport team.

Ucci
25th September 2018, 10:39
i suppose seb was not inside the car

Peter Solberb gained some weight, correct??

Allez Andruet
25th September 2018, 10:47
Peter Solberb gained some weight, correct??

How did he dare?

N.O.T
25th September 2018, 12:05
How did he dare?

he is still a competitor.. so yes he should be careful.

racerx1979
25th September 2018, 13:23
he is still a competitor.. so yes he should be careful.

Well many don't know of P. Solbergs condition. After his rally cross injury he had symptons of feeling weak and lethargic and lost weight. I won't go into details as it's personal but let's say it's a hell of a good sign he looks healthy. It's easy to judge from the outside. Always think before you say something...

It's great he is doing Spain as he loves rallying a lot more than rallycross!

nafpaktos
25th September 2018, 16:23
if we always think that something is behind then we should never have discussions and forums should stop exist.But thanks for your info :)

Tarmop
25th September 2018, 16:35
Well many don't know of P. Solbergs condition. After his rally cross injury he had symptons of feeling weak and lethargic and lost weight. I won't go into details as it's personal but let's say it's a hell of a good sign he looks healthy. It's easy to judge from the outside. Always think before you say something...

It's great he is doing Spain as he loves rallying a lot more than rallycross!

The diagnosis is out there for everyone to read, probably by himself so not so personal...

nafpaktos
25th September 2018, 17:35
ericcamilli

Happy to tell you that we are engaged at @msportltd for the @dayinsurewalesrallygb next week in WRC2 ! �������� After two second places one in 2015 for our first time there and one in 2017, it’s definitely an event we’re always looking forward ����. Gravel, fog, rain... all elements we need for a hard and exciting rally ! #43

Maybe msport driver for next year,at least to some rallies?

pantealex
25th September 2018, 17:49
ericcamilli

Happy to tell you that we are engaged at @msportltd for the @dayinsurewalesrallygb next week in WRC2 ! �������� After two second places one in 2015 for our first time there and one in 2017, it’s definitely an event we’re always looking forward ����. Gravel, fog, rain... all elements we need for a hard and exciting rally ! #43

and next one with factory VW

How does that indicate to M-Sport ?

It is just PR talk.

SubaruNorway
25th September 2018, 18:19
Petter Solberg gained some weight, correct??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcoidosis

racerx1979
25th September 2018, 18:29
The diagnosis is out there for everyone to read, probably by himself so not so personal...

Yes, you can get a small glimpse of his real situation here :): https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/138595/solberg-almost-missed-2018-wrx-with-illness

Tarmop
25th September 2018, 18:39

It is just PR talk.

A one-off R5 start probably doesn`t mean too much. As far as i understand at the moment, he is not contracted for a season, a freelancer driving and testing what he pays /is hired for.

nafpaktos
25th September 2018, 19:43

It is just PR talk.

just a guess!!

Sub_Skoda
25th September 2018, 20:26
ericcamilli

Oh no... not Eric again! Pontus before!

dimviii
26th September 2018, 20:21
Peter Solberg bought a polo r5 for his son.
source diariomotor

mknight
26th September 2018, 20:29
Could have cost him anything from 0 to "almost" full price.

N.O.T
26th September 2018, 23:15
Could have cost him anything from 0 to "almost" full price.

why would he cost him 0 ?? last time i checked VW were not charity...

wow... are you trying to be like this ? or you were born this way ?

rallyfiend
27th September 2018, 07:46
why would he cost him 0 ?? last time i checked VW were not charity...

wow... are you trying to be like this ? or you were born this way ?

I would be willing to bet that his fee for driving in Spain neatly matches the cost of a Polo R5....

Tarmop
27th September 2018, 09:23
If i remember correctly, those Polo WRC`s devloped into WRX`s (and continuously developed) didn`t come for free. So not surprised if this is a way of paying VW...

dimviii
27th September 2018, 16:57
@RallySportMag

Veteran German, Armin Kremer, will return to the WRC at November’s final round in Australia

pantealex
27th September 2018, 18:46
@RallySportMag

Veteran German, Armin Kremer, will return to the WRC at November’s final round in Australia

with Fabia R5 (Bulacia should also be there and Guerra was planning to go)

jbmarcus21
28th September 2018, 19:33
Dynamic list of Team Line up WRC 2019 with all official news (no rumours) ► http://bit.ly/2Oj2ISl

Fast Eddie WRC
30th September 2018, 20:04
Nice feature about behind-the-scenes cost and logistics of WRC...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/world-rally-championship-keeping-show-road

danon
30th September 2018, 22:08
Nice feature about behind-the-scenes cost and logistics of WRC...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/world-rally-championship-keeping-show-road

the cost of profit...?

tommeke_B
30th September 2018, 22:45
If we can believe the rumors stated on the website of Belgian Speed magazine, Lappi is going to Citroën, and it will be announced soon. Also Meeke would go to Toyota... :)

Allez Andruet
1st October 2018, 05:45
If we can believe the rumors stated on the website of Belgian Speed magazine, Lappi is going to Citroën, and it will be announced soon. Also Meeke would go to Toyota... :)

That "Meeke to Toyota" is just one of these "Trump for president" things - not gonna happen.

OHL
1st October 2018, 05:55
That "Meeke to Toyota" is just one of these "Trump for president" things - not gonna happen.

As in, "Trump will never be president!" And then he was?

mknight
1st October 2018, 06:40
If Lappi goes to Citroën I think the chance of Meeke going to Toyota is quite high (50%). As I wrote before I don't think they need to use money on any test. Since they know exactly what they are getting and he is not in position to demand anything and there is No doubt that Yaris is fast.

It all depeneds on how much risk they want to take. It can turn out very well with Meeke "stabilizing" without pressure on him, or it could implode completely and he could start crashing when Tänak is much faster than him and also cause Latvala to start to crash cause he tries to match Meeke's stagetimes between crashes.

In both cases PR coverage, specially in the UK, is quaranteed. Possible crash expenses are imo not a problem for Toyota (might be for Tommi), it's the title(s) that are at stake. Maybe if Toyota get both titles this year (or look set to get them) they might be more willing to go for it.

AnttiL
1st October 2018, 06:48
Kalle Rovanperä 18 years old today, finally allowed to drive everywhere(?) in the world

JUF
1st October 2018, 07:08
I think so. Sometimes it should be difficult to find a rental car company who allows him to rent a car, but as Skoda has its own recce cars there shouldn´t be any problem at all.

wrc2017
1st October 2018, 15:19
If Lappi goes to Citroën I think the chance of Meeke going to Toyota is quite high (50%). As I wrote before I don't think they need to use money on any test. Since they know exactly what they are getting and he is not in position to demand anything and there is No doubt that Yaris is fast.

It all depeneds on how much risk they want to take. It can turn out very well with Meeke "stabilizing" without pressure on him, or it could implode completely and he could start crashing when Tänak is much faster than him and also cause Latvala to start to crash cause he tries to match Meeke's stagetimes between crashes.

In both cases PR coverage, specially in the UK, is quaranteed. Possible crash expenses are imo not a problem for Toyota (might be for Tommi), it's the title(s) that are at stake. Maybe if Toyota get both titles this year (or look set to get them) they might be more willing to go for it.

Stfu and leave the important decisions to those that know the business.

AL14
2nd October 2018, 13:43
Stfu and leave the important decisions to those that know the business.

Don't talk like that. There is no need.

jbmarcus21
7th October 2018, 14:32
Yes it's not over for Ogier & Tänak ... but Neuville could be 2018 #WRC Champion in @RallyRACC : explications ► bit.ly/2y5mDe6

EstWRC
7th October 2018, 20:48
Yes it's not over for Ogier & Tänak ... but Neuville could be 2018 #WRC Champion in @RallyRACC : explications ► bit.ly/2y5mDe6

Well for Ogier it is definitely not over, but it looks more theoretical for Ott but im still positive and hopeful.

some guy in estonian forum did some maths (of course from Tänaks perspective)

Spain
Tänak 25+5
Ogier 18+4
Neuville 15+3

Australia
Tänak 25+5
Ogier 18+4
Neuville 15+3

in the end Tänak 228, Ogier 226, Neuville 225.

the bottom line is that Tänak has to definitely win the last 2 rounds and power stages and even then he wont win if Neuville finishes second on both rallies. Thierry holds the aces.

but nothing is over until it is over...this season just keeps delivering.

focus206
7th October 2018, 21:05

Even if Ogier were to score 0 in Spain, it would be very difficult for Neuville to win the title there, considering the sweeping in the first day and how poor Hyundai is faring on tarmac.
In my opinion, it's Ogier who holds the aces: 2 good rallies and he is the champion again, Neuville will have a hard time in Spain. If Ogier doesn't have troubles in the last 2 rounds, it will be hard for Neuville to be champion on speed alone. Troubles can affect anyone, though.

dimviii
7th October 2018, 21:19
Even if Ogier were to score 0 in Spain, it would be very difficult for Neuville to win the title there, considering the sweeping in the first day and how poor Hyundai is faring on tarmac.
In my opinion, it's Ogier who holds the aces: 2 good rallies and he is the champion again, Neuville will have a hard time in Spain. If Ogier doesn't have troubles in the last 2 rounds, it will be hard for Neuville to be champion on speed alone. Troubles can affect anyone, though.

If Ogier wins in Spain he has to open the road at Australia.Not so easy for him too.

steve.mandzij
7th October 2018, 21:27
In my opinion, it's Ogier who holds the aces: 2 good rallies and he is the champion again, Neuville will have a hard time in Spain. If Ogier doesn't have troubles in the last 2 rounds, it will be hard for Neuville to be champion on speed alone. Troubles can affect anyone, though.I'm hesitant to consider the title firmly in Ogier's hands, but Neuville flopped at the end of last year (so did the car, yes), and the same is happening now.

This is an extremely difficult championship to call; on speed alone, Tanak should take the title, and he could, but winning another two rallies in a row is no easy task, and the Yaris needs to hold up this time.

The Fiesta is reliable, generally, and while he can't beat Tanak in a straight fight in that car he could surely brush off the nuisance and beat Neuville, so long as Tanak doesn't steal his valuable win points.

As for Neuville, he's still so prone to mistakes that I could definitely see the title slip from his hands come Australia; that i20 is also a box of chocolates when it comes to reliability and it's looking like the slowest car of the bunch.

Speaking of which, has Neuville made any rally ending mistakes this year?

focus206
7th October 2018, 21:34
If Ogier wins in Spain he has to open the road at Australia.Not so easy for him too.

That's true. But in Spain Ogier can potentially open a gap in the the standings that Neuville won't be able to fill even with a victory in Australia. I see it much more critical for Neuville in Spain than for Ogier in Australia, if he opens the road.

focus206
7th October 2018, 21:38
I'm hesitant to consider the title firmly in Ogier's hands, but Neuville flopped at the end of last year (so did the car, yes), and the same is happening now.

This is an extremely difficult championship to call; on speed alone, Tanak should take the title, and he could, but winning another two rallies in a row is no easy task, and the Yaris needs to hold up this time.

The Fiesta is reliable, generally, and while he can't beat Tanak in a straight fight in that car he could surely brush off the nuisance and beat Neuville, so long as Tanak doesn't steal his valuable win points.

As for Neuville, he's still so prone to mistakes that I could definitely see the title slip from his hands come Australia; that i20 is also a box of chocolates when it comes to reliability and it's looking like the slowest car of the bunch.

Speaking of which, has Neuville made any rally ending mistakes this year?

No no, not firmly in his hands, everything can happen in two rallies. But I see him as favourite right now.
Neuville didn't do big mistakes this year, a slip in Monte and one in Wales. But in many rallies he's not the one setting the pace anymore, and Hyundai doesn't look like it improved in terms of pace. In Spain Hyundai should have a new engine upgrade?

BigWorm
7th October 2018, 21:44
Will be quite surprised if Neuville gets a strong result in Spain (road sweeper + dodgy tarmac car), Ogier can potentially jump Neuville there and then roadsweep in Australia. Far from over, and both are good in Australia which also sets up the scene nicely.

Tänak the dark horse, tough task but definitely not impossible.

Eli
7th October 2018, 22:32
Anyway you swing this around, this is the most exciting season we had for a very long time, yes 2017 was a thriller but this year eclipsed it all, I can't recall the last time you had 3 drivers in with a shout to get that driver's title. 2003 was the last year but I think that towards the end of that season it was a 2 horse race between Loeb & Solberg. Before that it was 2001 when you had Sainz-McRae-Burns fighting for it and when you think about it, that's 17 years ago!

mknight
7th October 2018, 23:03
Skeptical as I am it is possible to compare this recent era with 2000-2004 which was also great.

Past/Present:
"old time" champ holding on but slowly loosing ground - Makinen and Gronholm at that time / Ogier now
"lucky" guy that got a shot at the championship in between - Burns + Solberg then / Neuville now
One team and driver starting to dominate - Loeb+Citroen / Tanak + Toyota

Hope it doesn't end the way it did in 2005-2006 and then into the "dark ages" of 2 teams.

mknight
7th October 2018, 23:05
In Spain Hyundai should have a new engine upgrade?

Before Germany Nandan said something about suspension changes for tarmac coming before Spain. They certainly do need it. Don't remember anything about engine.

focus206
7th October 2018, 23:35
Before Germany Nandan said something about suspension changes for tarmac coming before Spain. They certainly do need it. Don't remember anything about engine.

I must be mistaking then. Good if that's the case, I'd have more faith on suspension changes rather than engine upgrades. Then again, I'm not an engineer so what do I know.

PLuto
8th October 2018, 02:27
Skeptical as I am it is possible to compare this recent era with 2000-2004 which was also great.

Past/Present:
"old time" champ holding on but slowly loosing ground - Makinen and Gronholm at that time / Ogier now
"lucky" guy that got a shot at the championship in between - Burns + Solberg then / Neuville now
One team and driver starting to dominate - Loeb+Citroen / Tanak + Toyota

Hope it doesn't end the way it did in 2005-2006 and then into the "dark ages" of 2 teams.

I wouldnt be so optimistic with Tänak...

Simmi
11th October 2018, 17:47
Sad news that Craig Parry has been forced to retire from co-driving following his pre-Germany testing crash.

http://www.dai-sport.com/parry-calls-time-glittering-co-driving-career/

Seems the crash was a lot more serious than initially reported. I read something the other week that said he wasn't back walking yet. Thankfully the piece says he should make a full recovery.

jbmarcus21
16th October 2018, 16:02
Meeke is back again ! After Rally Legend .... He will drive Skoda Fabia R5 for Condroz Rally in Belgium ► http://bit.ly/2P0iLVx

PLuto
16th October 2018, 17:20
Meeke is back again ! After Rally Legend .... He will drive Skoda Fabia R5 for Condroz Rally in Belgium ► http://bit.ly/2P0iLVx

So finally he found an agreement in his fight with Citroen, which didnt allowed him to do any rally this year?

noel157
17th October 2018, 00:04
So finally he found an agreement in his fight with Citroen, which didnt allowed him to do any rally this year?

Think he's now been released from his contract.

dimviii
17th October 2018, 14:20
any news?

https://reho.st/self/c19384522e0cc3bbad6bdb80ac0cbe42ff55cf80.jpg
https://reho.st/self/b7302c03c4349c87134d6de8f0e5df98cd26f652.jpg

rallyfiend
17th October 2018, 14:53
Think he's now been released from his contract.

Meeke was released from his contract as soon as he was fired. He was always free to be able to drive whatever he wanted as soon as that happened.

As there was believed to be legal action by him against Citroen over the teams of his dismissal, and the resulting damage that this would cause to his future employment opportunities, he can hardly go around and wreck that claim by comtinuning to compete, can he?

Hence, why, now that the Toyota deal has done, and his claim is null and void against Citroen he's been free to do Legends and other rallies.

Allegedly.

GigiGalliNo1
17th October 2018, 15:09
Hence, why is like writing "Hence, hence now that the Toyota..." Or "Why, why now that the Toyota..."

PLuto
17th October 2018, 15:44
Meeke was released from his contract as soon as he was fired. He was always free to be able to drive whatever he wanted as soon as that happened.

As there was believed to be legal action by him against Citroen over the teams of his dismissal, and the resulting damage that this would cause to his future employment opportunities, he can hardly go around and wreck that claim by comtinuning to compete, can he?

Hence, why, now that the Toyota deal has done, and his claim is null and void against Citroen he's been free to do Legends and other rallies.

Allegedly.

That is not true. He was not free to drive whatever he wanted...

jacko
17th October 2018, 18:23

No way, Kris had a contract till the end of 2018 and got for sure some good money. He was free to go whatever he wants to do except to drive for another manufacturer in the WRC. Only if a manufaturer wants him to drive than Kris had to make a new deal in that case. I think why he could be driving the Toyota already and speaks what he wants because it's a deal with Lappi who can drive the Citroën as soon after the last round. Lappi (and all the orther drivers) mostly have a contract till the end of the year and needs permission to drive earlier for a new team.

What i also believe is that when Tanak don't have a chance for the championship anymore and the manufacturers title (for Toyota) is as good as be won Lappi could drive the Citroën already in Australia and Meeke the Toyota. That's a win-win situation and for sure something what would be discussed between the teams.

dimviii
17th October 2018, 18:28
I sat down with TOYOTA GAZOO Racing WRC to answer a few questions about the new contract for 2019 and my initial thoughts. Thought I'd share it here, and I hope you find it interesting.
������ �������� ���� �������� ���� �������� ��������?
It’s just a huge pleasure and honour to be back. Three years ago, I sat down with Tommi Makinen and discussed the possibility of me going there, but at the time it was just a vision. I would have needed to commit to a season without any rallies at first, and at the time, I needed to do a full season because I had never done one up to that point. Tommi understood my point of view, but the simplicity and logic of his vision never went away from me, and even once I had made my decision, part of me wondered if I’d missed an opportunity. So I’m delighted and grateful to have that opportunity again.
�������� ������ �������� ���������� ���������������������� ���� ������ ��������?
The performance of the car speaks for itself and I can’t wait to be competing with it. Undoubtedly, it’s one of the quickest cars out there and there’s an incredibly strong team behind it.
But what’s just as important is the culture. There’s a Japanese culture of respect and honour, which is so refreshing and welcoming. I couldn't think of a better place to be. Everything that Tommi outlined to me when we had that conversation three years ago has come true. He’s done it his way, yet he’s so easy to relate to, and as a four-time champion, he sees everything from a driver’s point of view. It’s a whole environment that I didn’t think was possible any more, to be honest.
������ ������ �������� ������������ �������� ����������?
Everyone knows what happened earlier this year, and afterwards I decided to stay silent for a while and keep myself to myself. Sometimes it’s best not to react. And during that time, I came to realise that I’d not really enjoyed myself for the previous 18 months. It was an incredible realisation, but I was determined that I wouldn’t let my time in this sport that I loved pass under a cloud. And that made me more motivated and determined than ever, so after Rally Finland I gave all the team principals a call and said that if there was ever an opportunity I would love to hear from them. Obviously the conversation with Tommi continued, and when he asked if I’d like to drive the car, it was an absolute no-brainer.
�������� ������ �������� �������������������� ������ �������� ���������� �������� ���� ������ ������?
It's very straightforward. I want to go back to enjoying myself in a rally car again and help Toyota to win a championship. It’s as simple as that really. I’m not here to rock any boats: instead I’m just incredibly excited about what lies ahead.
������������ ������ �� �������� ���������������� ���� ����������������: ���� �������� ������������������ ���� ������?
Absolutely. When I was growing up, I was a rally fan throughout the height of the Toyota era in the past, with legends like Carlos Sainz, Didier Auriol and Juha Kankkunen. To be following in that tradition, behind all those incredible names, is awesome. And in fact, the very first championship that I won was in a Toyota, back when I was 16 and co-driving for my brother. Together we did the road rally championship and we actually won it in a 1986 Corolla. So for many reasons, it feels really good to be here.”

https://www.facebook.com/krismeeke/posts/1219132708218899?__tn__=K-R

jbmarcus21
17th October 2018, 19:53
Homologation PROTON IRIZ R5 is coming for next december with Mellors Elliott Motorsport ► http://bit.ly/2EuQFxQ

noel157
17th October 2018, 20:07
Jacko right, Rallyfriend wrong.
But who cares, great season ahead of us.

Rally Power
18th October 2018, 00:45
any news?

https://reho.st/self/c19384522e0cc3bbad6bdb80ac0cbe42ff55cf80.jpg
https://reho.st/self/b7302c03c4349c87134d6de8f0e5df98cd26f652.jpg

Shortly: Loeb praises the C3 evolution; is hoping for a trouble free rally in Catalunya and to be on the leaders pace. He ends saying nothing is decided about running WRC events next year.

T16
18th October 2018, 10:03
Looks like Loeb will have a few spare weekends on his hands as Peugeot have pulled out of rallycross.

jbmarcus21
18th October 2018, 11:30
Really the last one for Loeb in RallyRACC http://bit.ly/2CtRzrs ?

dimviii
18th October 2018, 18:48
@SebastienLoeb

A page turns with the @peugeotsport en stop @FIAWorldRX. A big thank you to the whole team for this beautiful adventure ���� Place to new challenges, to new challenges �� eager to write the following ��

https://twitter.com/SebastienLoeb/status/1052928473042444288

er88
18th October 2018, 19:01
It's great to hear Loeb has noticed the evolution in the C3. Taken too long but at least they eventually got on the right track, and hopefully it's a car that Ogier can challenge for the championship with and Lappi for wins.

Rally Power
18th October 2018, 23:20
@SebastienLoeb
A page turns with the @peugeotsport en stop @FIAWorldRX. A big thank you to the whole team for this beautiful adventure ���� Place to new challenges, to new challenges �� eager to write the following ��
https://twitter.com/SebastienLoeb/status/1052928473042444288

Is it a farewell to PSA? Loeb’s team is already running a pair of Golf’s in the WTCR, with the support of VW Motorsport; will he return to the touring series also as a driver?

https://sebastienloebracing.com/championnat-wtcr/

Simmi
19th October 2018, 06:21
Is it a farewell to PSA? Loeb’s team is already running a pair of Golf’s in the WTCR, with the support of VW Motorsport; will he return to the touring series also as a driver?

https://sebastienloebracing.com/championnat-wtcr/

Maybe it's the case. But Sebastien Loeb Racing has always run different cars - it's not bound by Loeb's own PSA contract. They've run Orecas, Audis, Porsches, McLarens etc

dimviii
19th October 2018, 17:16
Hi everyone,
Well, the team is packing up at the end of a really great week here in Finland. I’ve spent lots of it getting used to the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing WRC Yaris WRC - playing with the car’s various settings, and learning the differences they all make.
This was an exploratory test, of course. So while we went in the right direction with some changes, we also went in the wrong direction with others. Each of those decisions was as important as the other, really, because it’s about working out what happens when you do certain things.
That aside, we racked up plenty of useful kilometres in the Yaris, on a variety of roads, and while I don’t really want to get into comparisons, I’m really pleased with how the car performs. It’s very different from what I’ve been used to, in lots of ways.
I just want to say thanks to the whole Toyota Gazoo Racing team at this point, though, because another important part of this week has been getting to know the technicians and the engineers. They’ve been so welcoming to me, and the attitude of the whole operation manages to be cool while still being focused. That’s a great place for a driver to be; it gives me such optimism for 2019.
Hopefully, then, I’ll be back here in Finland before too long, to gain a bit more experience. But in the meantime, I’m heading to Belgium for the Condroz Rally in a couple of weeks’ time. It’s an event I’ve done before, of course, so I know it’s really challenging and there’s usually a top-class field there. So it’s an ideal way for me to get back into competition.
Thanks, as always, for your support - and thanks again for all the positive feedback to the announcement this week. It was great to see.
Kris
https://www.facebook.com/krismeeke

Rally Power
19th October 2018, 19:39
Maybe it's the case. But Sebastien Loeb Racing has always run different cars - it's not bound by Loeb's own PSA contract. They've run Orecas, Audis, Porsches, McLarens etc

You’re right, but the Golf was the first car SLR run against a PSA model (308).

Anyway, having Loeb available will certainly make this silly season even more interesting!

dimviii
20th October 2018, 23:19
Leader of the World Rally Championship (WRC) since his victory in Portugal, in mid-May, the Belgian driver of the Hyundai team Thierry Neuville has seen his successors lose ground. The French Sebastien Ogier is only 7 points behind him, and the Estonian Ott Tänak at 21 points, which means nothing, a win that can earn up to 30 points. Mathematically, Thierry Neuville and his co-driver, Nicolas Gilsoul, can still clinch their first world title Sunday, October 28, at the end of the rally of Spain, penultimate meeting of the season.
"Such a suspense is a good thing for fans," Thierry Neuville, met in Monaco on October 15, said. Smiling, t-shirt and black jeans expertly patched, the Belgian runner with fine anthracite glasses seems anything but stressed. A relaxation he imputes to his "good nature", which allows him to remain "rather happy" in all circumstances, whether we talk about rivals or his exile in Monaco for tax reasons.

"My life is the rally," says the young man in his thirties. At 5, I already wanted to be a rally driver. Born 15 km from the circuit of Spa-Francorchamps in the province of Liège, he has not missed any Grand Prix Formula 1, no endurance race. On German television, he follows the exploits of Michael Schumacher in Formula 1; on his PlayStation, he is measured against Colin McRae, world champion in 1995 rallies. But it is at the roadside, during regional rallies, that he vibrates the most: "There are head-to-tail, accidents, it's spectacular! "

Compromised beginnings
The school looks bland next to it. Nevertheless, he works what it takes to never redouble, because, "somewhere, it's a year of your life that you lose." As a teenager, he mainly uses his abilities to finance his first rally car. Once acquired, he runs in the competition organized by the RACB (Royal Automobile Club of Belgium, equivalent of the French Federation of motorsport). "We were 120 young and the winner won a rally season in the Belgian national league. Thierry Neuville wins.

"That's where everything went. With the support of his federation, he finds sponsors and connects the competitions in Belgium and in the international championship (IRC). Before joining the WRC with Citroën Racing, stable of a certain Sebastien Loeb (in 2012, his last year). But he almost never got there.

In 2011, he started in IRC with an abandonment on the first stage of the opening Rally in Monte Carlo. Peugeot then poses an ultimatum: "If it goes bad in Canada [2nd rally on the calendar], we stop. "Yes, I was scared, admits Thierry Neuville. Afraid that a failure prevents me from going to the next level. In Canada, he finished 3rd to seven seconds behind the winner; in the next race, in Corsica, he wins. Peugeot reassured, the program is sealed.

With hindsight, Thierry Neuville has learned to rely on fate: "When it does not work, do not ask questions, go straight and continue. With the unfailing support since his debut of his manager, Geoffroy Theunis, and while not counting his hours. Physically, the pilot trains forty-five minutes to two hours each day, usually in hotel gyms, "easier to access when traveling 240 days a year".

For the piloting part, the braking technique is refined on the circuit, the simulators remaining unsuitable for rallies that are too complex to model, with their 350km timed divided into twenty or so special stages over three days.

"An instinctive sport"
Hence a certainty: "The rally is above all an instinctive sport. We can not really prepare it. In these conditions, the experience - already eleven years in professional - plays a lot. "Just see the reflection of a puddle to see if it will slide or not. "

On-board cameras, however, have become important support tools. "Before [2014], it took a morning to assess how fast you could pass a bump. From where a saving of precious time. And the possibility for Thierry Neuville to spot before the rally of Spain the places where it was fast and those "where I made myself heat".

Behind the driver points the businessman, who assumes to be domiciled in Monaco since the end of 2013 for tax reasons: "We have a very short profession. In 2012 [when it was decided], I did not know if it would last. And that lasts, "he says, his eyes laughing. It was however in Belgium that he decided to invest for "after", in order to create a car rental company.

If he declares himself "proud to wear the colors of [his] country", his relationship with the notoriety remains complex. He therefore seeks the right distance between coldness and excess of familiarity, while "keeping a part of mystery". Does he just admit that his father was a truck driver, his mother employed "in offices", that his brother preferred not to pursue a rally to take care of their common "affair" and that he had a half-brother of "12 or 14 years old".

He has also just obtained his helicopter pilot's license, a passion he shares with Sébastien Loeb. Thierry Neuville roll he in the footsteps of the nine-time champion of the Alsatian world? He sweeps a pirouette: "" Thierry, you always had everything you wanted ", always told me my mother. There I miss only the title of world champion. In Spain, he may have the opportunity not to disavow it.
https://www.lemonde.fr/auto-moto/article/2018/10/20/automobile-pour-thierry-neuville-ma-vie-c-est-le-rallye_5372205_1616662.html

jbmarcus21
21st October 2018, 16:05
Remember this fact : not easy but possible ! Neuville is the only one driver could be #WRC Champion in @RallyRACC if ..... explications ► http://bit.ly/2y5mDe6

dimviii
22nd October 2018, 16:05
https://twitter.com/CitroenRacing/status/1054309538663424000

AnttiL
24th October 2018, 13:30
So much for photoshopping and fake news...

Meeke's early running in the Toyota was shrouded in speculation of a testing crash. Makinen confirmed that had happened, and laughed off social media rumours that a picture had been faked to show the car off the road.

Makinen added: "The picture was not a joke. It was some very, very small mistake.

"It was in a long corner which came more narrow and the speed was completely zero. There was no damage to the car, it was just on its side.

"Honestly, it was completely harmless. I'm not bothered about that at all.

"The guys, they can push it back and carry on. It was no drama."

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/139605/meeke-toyota-environment-completely-different

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2018, 13:46
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpuG8TFXcAUnKXj.jpg

deephouse
24th October 2018, 15:23
Bruno Famin will be live on Facebook on the official site of Peugeot Sport today at the 17:45 CET. I wonder what he will tell to the world.

WRC1
24th October 2018, 16:38
Bruno Famin will be live on Facebook on the official site of Peugeot Sport today at the 17:45 CET. I wonder what he will tell to the world.

maybe they will enter the vacuum cleaner championship ;)

Rallyper
24th October 2018, 16:51
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpuG8TFXcAUnKXj.jpg

This was so expected and at the same time not. Bcs now in a new team we hoped for less "crashes".

The explanation I now read, maybe tells the true story, but anyway I don´t think the start of Kris career at Toyota started that well we were expecting...

Having said that I´m the first one to hope him go lucky in 2019.

(Written at 18.20 CET)

deephouse
24th October 2018, 17:01

He says practically nothing new that we already know. Peugeot is quitting Rallycross and have no official program for 2019. BTW the reason for quiting is that the e-wrx is not on the horizon (I think that 2021 will not be either).

Rally Power
24th October 2018, 22:32

Hope next time they'll use subtitles...

maybe they will enter the vacuum cleaner championship ;)

They're already there, with DS.

wrc2017
25th October 2018, 07:46
So much for photoshopping and fake news...

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/139605/meeke-toyota-environment-completely-different
now..are you going to make as big a deal out of Nevilles roll on shakedown?

EstWRC
25th October 2018, 07:54
no because it is loud and clear it really happened.

wrc2017
25th October 2018, 07:59
no because it is loud and clear it really happened.

how do you know? because you seen a photograph on the internet?

AnttiL
25th October 2018, 08:05
how do you know? because you seen a photograph on the internet?

Also a video and a statement from the team. But yeah, you can choose what to believe and what not to. I mean, as long as you're not attending the rally and witnessing it with your own eyes, it could be all staged. Some people don't believe in the moonwalks either :)

wrc2017
25th October 2018, 08:09
Also a video and a statement from the team. But yeah, you can choose what to believe and what not to. I mean, as long as you're not attending the rally and witnessing it with your own eyes, it could be all staged. Some people don't believe in the moonwalks either :)

in a parallel universe Neville didn't roll on that corner this morning. fact.

AnttiL
25th October 2018, 08:19
in a parallel universe Neville didn't roll on that corner this morning. fact.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/866797274105614338/moELh909_400x400.jpg

He sure didn't.

Fast Eddie WRC
25th October 2018, 09:22
One unidentified photo of a Toyota from a test is very different to mass photos on a Rally SD and official reports.

T16
25th October 2018, 09:37
One unidentified photo of a Toyota from a test is very different to mass photos on a Rally SD and official reports.

You do know Makinen confirmed the Meeke roll Eddie?

Fast Eddie WRC
25th October 2018, 09:44
You do know Makinen confirmed the Meeke roll Eddie?

He did now yes, but not at first T16.

AL14
25th October 2018, 09:47
Easy with wine in the morning guys.

Susiraja
25th October 2018, 09:54
Easy with wine in the morning guys.

That's always dangerous to say to a Finn. When a Finn is drinking the amount consumed is his/hers own business :) For other nationalities I can't comment how big of an insult a comment like that is...

AL14
25th October 2018, 10:09
That's always dangerous to say to a Finn. When a Finn is drinking the amount consumed is his/hers own business :) For other nationalities I can't comment how big of an insult a comment like that is...

You are the one who consumed more, aren't you? :)

Jarek Z
26th October 2018, 21:18
Good stuff from Skoda again! 8 great cars that wrote the history of ŠKODA Motorsport:
https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/8-cars-that-wrote-the-history-of-skoda-motorsport/

René
29th October 2018, 13:40
Loeb: "Rally Spain win makes 2019 WRC programme more tempting"

https://bit.ly/2yC1RDm

racerx1979
29th October 2018, 14:52
Loeb: "Rally Spain win makes 2019 WRC programme more tempting"

https://bit.ly/2yC1RDm

I think Seb might make more money with his own RX program than running a few WRC events, but who knows..

Mirek
29th October 2018, 15:13
Good stuff from Skoda again! 8 great cars that wrote the history of ŠKODA Motorsport:
https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/8-cars-that-wrote-the-history-of-skoda-motorsport/

Actually not. I can't understand how they could forget about the car which brought them the WRC F2 title! In 1994 Pavel Sibera and Emil Triner won the F2 championship with the ultra-light Favorit 136L/A.

denkimi
29th October 2018, 16:07
I think Seb might make more money with his own RX program than running a few WRC events, but who knows..
I don't think loeb ever again has to worry about money.

dimviii
29th October 2018, 17:05
lolol

To take the lead of the championship is good news. It's never negative to be in the lead. We did everything we could, we passed near the victory. There is always a little frustration because we fail for so little. We were wrong on tire choices during the weekend. 22 points, it is very positive and a beautiful operation in the championship. On paper, Neuville will have a better starting position on the road. On the other hand, I have the points in the pocket and he does not. You never know what can happen on a rally. The least glitch and it will be rather to my advantage. I prefer my position as an opener, I prefer to have three points ahead of time rather than late, "explained Ogier to our colleague Olivier Gaspard, special correspondent of RTBF in Catalonia.
"We have to give Loeb and Elena a big hat-trick, once again, it's a great performance, it's not a surprise because we know they're always in the game. that they were going to be able to do something about it, they are nice meetings to live in. Still a few quick fix for Loeb at Citroën next year It would not bother me, I would even prefer it to be there full time because it's a little skewed if it does not play the championship.I am a supporter of fights on equal terms, the current rules are too unequal between those who open and those who leave behind, "concluded the Frenchman.

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/moteurs/rallye/wrc/detail_ogier-j-ai-les-points-dans-la-poche-et-thierry-non-je-prefere-ma-position?id=10058829

deephouse
29th October 2018, 19:16
I am a supporter of fights on equal terms, the current rules are too unequal between those who open and those who leave behind, "concluded the Frenchman.

He was quiet until now about cleaning. Npow when he must do it again he is complaing (again)... Typical

mknight
29th October 2018, 19:29
He was quiet until now about cleaning. Npow when he must do it again he is complaing (again)... Typical

Nah, in Spain he actually said how hard it is for Neuville to clean multiple times on friday.

TypeR
29th October 2018, 19:53
lolol

To take the lead of the championship is good news. It's never negative to be in the lead. We did everything we could, we passed near the victory. There is always a little frustration because we fail for so little. We were wrong on tire choices during the weekend. 22 points, it is very positive and a beautiful operation in the championship. On paper, Neuville will have a better starting position on the road. On the other hand, I have the points in the pocket and he does not. You never know what can happen on a rally. The least glitch and it will be rather to my advantage. I prefer my position as an opener, I prefer to have three points ahead of time rather than late, "explained Ogier to our colleague Olivier Gaspard, special correspondent of RTBF in Catalonia.
"We have to give Loeb and Elena a big hat-trick, once again, it's a great performance, it's not a surprise because we know they're always in the game. that they were going to be able to do something about it, they are nice meetings to live in. Still a few quick fix for Loeb at Citroën next year It would not bother me, I would even prefer it to be there full time because it's a little skewed if it does not play the championship.I am a supporter of fights on equal terms, the current rules are too unequal between those who open and those who leave behind, "concluded the Frenchman.

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/moteurs/rallye/wrc/detail_ogier-j-ai-les-points-dans-la-poche-et-thierry-non-je-prefere-ma-position?id=10058829

yea yea.. for sure Ogier would prefer Loeb to be back for full season..(to get his 4ss whipped :D ) I believe that he put it in his contract that Loeb won't/can't be in 3rd car for full season.
I have had respect for Ogier for long time, but this seems a bit like a crybaby.. Loeb came and showed everybody, why he is 9 time WC. He didn't gain any real advantage of his road position at all. He even gave a ,,handycap'' of ca 10second on SS1 with stalling :D

the sniper
29th October 2018, 21:41
I'll put this in this thread but it covers various subjects. Nice interview with Petter Solberg after Friday in Spain from UK Autocar. Talks about his performance, says that "I will definitely not compete in rallying next year" and talks about the future of WRX.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/interview-petter-solberg-his-rally-return-and-electric-motorsport

Nice to see some British journalistic coverage from someone other than David Evans/Motorsport Network.

kirungi okwogera
29th October 2018, 22:46
lolol

wait... instant replay:
"See I never just did things just to do them, I mean what am I gonna do, grind my feet on Eddie's couch like it was something to do, come on, I got a little more sense than that. Yeah I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch"

"no, it's cool, I love opening the road despite my years of previous statements (ok maybe because it's so close on points). Also I don't want to open the road next year because it's not fair"

T16
29th October 2018, 23:09
wait... instant replay:
"See I never just did things just to do them, I mean what am I gonna do, grind my feet on Eddie's couch like it was something to do, come on, I got a little more sense than that. Yeah I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch"

"no, it's cool, I love opening the road despite my years of previous statements (ok maybe because it's so close on points). Also I don't want to open the road next year because it's not fair"

Do you and mknight buy your crack from the same dealer?

AL14
30th October 2018, 09:07
yea yea.. for sure Ogier would prefer Loeb to be back for full season..(to get his 4ss whipped :D ) I believe that he put it in his contract that Loeb won't/can't be in 3rd car for full season.
I have had respect for Ogier for long time, but this seems a bit like a crybaby.. Loeb came and showed everybody, why he is 9 time WC. He didn't gain any real advantage of his road position at all. He even gave a ,,handycap'' of ca 10second on SS1 with stalling :D

I think Loeb is the greatest ever but I don't think that Ogier is afraid of him and he has nothing to prove either against him.

wrc2017
30th October 2018, 09:16

it must have been a particularly bad batch.

AL14
30th October 2018, 11:21
Did Neuville complained about Loeb participation at WRC rounds? I'm hearing about this and someone linked this video where Elene replied to him in french https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/video/la-reponse-seche-de-daniel-elena-copilote-de-sebastien-loeb-aux-reproches-du-belge-thierry-neuville-1112896.html

French speaking guys can maybe understand better from the video.
It seems to me that Neuville said that Loeb interfered to the title fight, and Elena replied that they actually helped him.
I don't know if Neuville really said that. Maybe it's again that fake-news journal that spread it out. That would be too stupid declaration, even for him.

Rally Power
30th October 2018, 13:59
It seems to me that Neuville said that Loeb interfered to the title fight, and Elena replied that they actually helped him. I don't know if Neuville really said that.

Yep, you’ve got it right, but it’s fair to say that apparently Neuville wasn’t making a personal accusation to Loeb (acctualy he praised Seb performance); he just answered a journo question about occasional drivers getting in the middle of the tilte’s figth; most likely, he isn’t the only one thinking it can be a bit disturbing.

Myrvold
30th October 2018, 17:46
I'll put this in this thread but it covers various subjects. Nice interview with Petter Solberg after Friday in Spain from UK Autocar. Talks about his performance, says that "I will definitely not compete in rallying next year" and talks about the future of WRX.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/interview-petter-solberg-his-rally-return-and-electric-motorsport

Nice to see some British journalistic coverage from someone other than David Evans/Motorsport Network.

Things might've changed sliiightly over the weekend though.

Francis44
31st October 2018, 08:13
So once again, Sven Smeets clearly lobbying for VW, saying it is too late for an Hybrid WRC car. Interesting he doesn't mention a full electric option, but I guess he knows that would have some kind of backlash from the fans.

http://www.revistascratch.com/wrc/noticia/sven-smeets-es-muy-tarde-para-los-hibridos-en-el-wrc-47068

Anyway, anyone knows when the discussions for the next set of regulations will truly start?! I guess it will be a interesting time for decision making with a sport which has been recently gathering momentum.

mknight
31st October 2018, 08:35
So once again, Sven Smeets clearly lobbying for VW, saying it is too late for an Hybrid WRC car.

He says it's too late because the technology is already in normal cars. Probably he means that "it should have been in the rules by now".

For the last 25 or so years I don't remember any period where WRC/rally cars had something before it was available on normal cars. Generally they are just following the current trend in the industry. Ex. S2000 when turbo were not in, then downsizing (2.0 to 1.6), direct injection etc.

Anyway it should be a no brainer to add some hybrid related to turbo/ALS. Electric turbo might be hard, but replacing ALS with small Electric motor should be easy, hypercars have been using something like that for years.

Rally Power
31st October 2018, 12:14
So once again, Sven Smeets clearly lobbying for VW, saying it is too late for an Hybrid WRC car. Interesting he doesn't mention a full electric option, but I guess he knows that would have some kind of backlash from the fans. http://www.revistascratch.com/wrc/noticia/sven-smeets-es-muy-tarde-para-los-hibridos-en-el-wrc-47068

Not only motorsport fans, also globally people are slowly realizing that EV’s aren’t so eco friendly like manus and polititians are telling. Coal and gaz plants will still be huge electricity sources for the next decades, meaning EV’s can become more CO2 polluants than ICEV’s. Besides, there are also environmental issues concerning batteries production and recycling.

That’s why its tottaly demagogic to say it’s too late for hybrids, especially coming from a brand that only a few years ago was caught cheating on TDI Diesel emissions, a technology VW also promoted as eco friendly. If VW purpose is to get back to WRC in order to promote EV’s, I say, with due respect, to Smeets and his associates: stay away, the WRC is doing fine without you!

Eli
31st October 2018, 19:29
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/139783/msport-chasing-loeb-for-2019

Loeb- Fiesta WRC-2019-maybe?

kirungi okwogera
31st October 2018, 20:11

"Cocaine is a helluva drug."

Ogier's just pulling a Rick James in that quote. "I'm totally cool with opening the road. Also it's totally wrong that I have to open the road so often."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC5LaHUnQMA

kirungi okwogera
31st October 2018, 20:20
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/139783/msport-chasing-loeb-for-2019

Loeb- Fiesta WRC-2019-maybe?

I can't think of a single reason why Loeb would do this. Maybe if the Fiesta is hugely better than the Citroën - but it'd have to be enough of a difference to make him drop his employer of 15 years... no way.

tommeke_B
1st November 2018, 14:26
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2018/driver-of-the-year/page/5862--12-12-.html?fbclid=IwAR1sx8rmVbnMY6gGrJVxowybK2Hg0X64M8C yHgqNI6fZIpbQ1RIEG2WvNXY

You can now vote for the driver of the year on WRC.com. Voted for Tänak, despite the few drawbacks he had, the driver of the year imo.

dupanton
1st November 2018, 16:35
I'm a big Neuville fan, but voted for Tanak too...

mknight
1st November 2018, 19:12
Tanak deserves it the most this year, he took the step from a rally winner to a serious championship contender in one year. Most drivers take a few seasons doing that or even don't get there (like Latvala). Sure car also has something to say about that, but he did fine vs Ogier last year and was quite a bit quicker than Latvala and Lappi on almost all rallies this year.

Honorable mentions:
Neuville - compared with last year he took a big step in driver-reliability and knowing when not to push 110%
Ogier - was back to blinding speed in Mexico and Corsica, something many people doubted after 2017

None of the other drivers had a good season. Only Lappi had ok one but still after taking a win last year it wasn't really a step up.