PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & Rumours 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

tomhlord
16th April 2018, 15:05
Mr Block returns.

No Monster Energy on the livery is very odd, I guess they have cut ties.

macebig
16th April 2018, 15:54
Mr Block returns.

No Monster Energy on the livery is very odd, I guess they have cut ties.

Nope. Monster is still his basic sponsor. Block said that Monster is focusing its adverts on the Gymkhana crowd. On the rally stuff he can use his own Hoonigan branding.

tomhlord
16th April 2018, 17:06
Nope. Monster is still his basic sponsor. Block said that Monster is focusing its adverts on the Gymkhana crowd. On the rally stuff he can use his own Hoonigan branding.

Aha, thank you for the clarification.

AnttiL
16th April 2018, 20:19
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135442/fia-blocks-radical-rally-gb-stage-plan

The organisers of Britain's World Rally Championship round will now have to rethink the final day of the October event after the governing body declined a planned powerstage using the all-asphalt Great Orme test, which had been extended into the centre of Llandudno.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2018, 20:33
Power Stage rule no-one heard of before.

Hartusvuori
16th April 2018, 20:59
Power Stage rule no-one heard of before.

Anyone who have read the regulations recognized immediately what's the point.

Mirek
16th April 2018, 21:20
All asphalt power stage on a gravel event. What could only feel strange about it? :smokin:

PLuto
16th April 2018, 21:54
I support of organisers of Wales Rally GB. Anything which is uncommon will help to break sterility, will make the championship more interesting.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2018, 21:59
All asphalt power stage on a gravel event. What could only feel strange about it? :smokin:

At least there would be no issue over road position... ;)

Simmi
16th April 2018, 22:00
I don't really see why if you're giving artificial points out at the end of a stage that the stage itself can't be 'artificial'. Sounds like it could have been a good show for the TV but oh well. The GB route was a moving target last year and it sounds like it will be again this year.

It is interesting how this all played out publicly. But the organisers effectively PR'd themselves into a corner with the press releases.

Mirek
16th April 2018, 22:22
To have such stage is ok, to use it as a power stage is not. It would be different if let's say every second or third stage was asphalt one like on Cyprus.

Sanremo
17th April 2018, 00:55
"Sometimes, I don't understand this sport - we wonder why we stay hidden away behind the trees."

When reading things like this I got the growing feeling that this sport is just a pain in the butt for people pouring money into it.

The future doesn't look so bright when people are so eager to refuse the nature of this sport. Sometimes is so hard to be a rally fan.

GigiGalliNo1
17th April 2018, 05:50
Throw some chicanes on the tarmac stage and the FIA will be happy. Solution!

Allez Andruet
17th April 2018, 06:37
I don't really see why if you're giving artificial points out at the end of a stage that the stage itself can't be 'artificial'.
This.

Mirek
17th April 2018, 07:48
"Sometimes, I don't understand this sport - we wonder why we stay hidden away behind the trees."

When reading things like this I got the growing feeling that this sport is just a pain in the butt for people pouring money into it.

The future doesn't look so bright when people are so eager to refuse the nature of this sport. Sometimes is so hard to be a rally fan.

Would You like to have gravel PS in Germany? I personally wouldn't. For me such stage would be more a circus than a sport.

SubaruNorway
17th April 2018, 07:52
Throw some chicanes on the tarmac stage and the FIA will be happy. Solution!

Maybe that's the issue and that they don't want a repeat of Mexico...? There would be a lot of donuts going on in the road section to wear down the tyres at least...

AndyRAC
17th April 2018, 08:06
I can see why the FiA have vetoed the Power stage suggestion;it’s slightly odd to have a Tarmac Power stage on what is a ’Gravel’ event.
However, I can understand the organisers thinking/ reasoning.They’re trying to mix the event up, as it has become very ‘samey’ with the usual stages used year after year, just in a different order/ day.

I still think it’s a shame that the Epynt stages can’t be used…..

Once upon a time the first day was spent mainly on Tarmac through the stately home and circuit stages…..

Mirek
17th April 2018, 08:37
Shame that one of the first recent attempts to "bring rallying to the people" in the UK has floundered. Curse the artificial "excitement generator".

Why is it a problem to use the Great Orme at some different point in the timetable?

Fast Eddie WRC
17th April 2018, 09:50
No problem having this as a stage, just not the PS.

They should just have it at a different time as it's a great idea and would bring great publicity and rally to the people.

Mirek
17th April 2018, 10:00
As I'm not one of the organizers from my perspective its not, however as the sport is at quite a low ebb here my point is that we really need a shot in the arm. Closing a UK city/town centre (which is what we are talking about, the Orme is only part of the proposed stage) even with the recent change in legislation regards closed roads, is a big undertaking. Closing the roads on a week day is an even harder sell. Sunday afternoon although still a shopping day is easier.

I think that Friday night is the best time for holding such stage - attracting crowds of people and not complicating traffic too much (just like the city stage on Barum).

Mirek
17th April 2018, 11:26
A Welsh town on a Friday night what could possibly go wrong?!!!

Joking apart lets hope the organizers come up with an acceptable solution.

You mean that people would drink? Is that a real issue? They do so in other countries as well including mine and we do have Friday night stages on nearly all events in the calendar.

ESTR
17th April 2018, 12:23
Maybe that's the issue and that they don't want a repeat of Mexico...? There would be a lot of donuts going on in the road section to wear down the tyres at least...

If they don't want to repeat what happened in Mexico why bother with putting light chicanes. Put concrete blocks and no one will be that stupid to just push them aside. Well maybe Meeke or Lefebvre.

Sanremo
17th April 2018, 12:46
Mirek you got me wrong. I was saying totally the opposite. I'm totally with you on the subject. I was referring to the fact that to get more people in they are ready to transform this sport into a circus, especially with all that SSS. I was just disappointed that so many people struggle with the real nature of the sport and every passing year they are trying to make a mess of it. Think about the endurance element. 24 hour Le Mans and cycling live on that and there's no problem but they are so eager to copy formula 1 or motogp. They need to understand that this is another sport and work on its strenghts. Not to talk about chicanes as if the drivers aren't able to read the road and slow down or are they stupid. If the drivers say it's all ok for them so what's the problem :) I'm not against "bringing rally to people" and I'm aware of the benefits but to read things like that said by insiders makes you think.

Franky
17th April 2018, 17:25
If they don't want to repeat what happened in Mexico why bother with putting light chicanes. Put concrete blocks and no one will be that stupid to just push them aside. Well maybe Meeke or Lefebvre.

They just need to contact the Finns and rent the Valtra chicane.

dimviii
17th April 2018, 18:29
Traxx - WR is Free

Dani Sordo would have received a proposal from Prodrive to ride with a Renault in rally cross next year, the Spaniard says he wants to continue in rally https://buff.ly/2JSbQIH

steve.mandzij
17th April 2018, 22:23
They just need to contact the Finns and rent the Valtra chicane.The hollow barriers in Mexico could have been filled with sand or water, rigid enough to slow a car down and not move too much yet soft enough to not cause too much damage.

AndyRAC
17th April 2018, 22:59
British humour.

Nothing would please me more than a Friday night super special like Barum or Azores etc. The closest we have come is the stage on Blackpool prom on the NorthWest Stages but Blackpool in February is somewhere to be avoided certainly weather wise!

I remember watching at the prom a few years ago, and there was a decent number watching, anyway, an old bloke was asking people whether somebody had fallen in the sea......Couldn't get his head around the fact people were entertained by people watching fast cars.... :laugh:

jbmarcus21
18th April 2018, 09:08
Mads Ostberg start Portugal + Sardegna with Citroen Racing C3WRC ► http://bit.ly/2HbxLsL

Watson
18th April 2018, 13:44
Mads Ostberg start Portugal + Sardegna with Citroen Racing C3WRC ► http://bit.ly/2HbxLsL

So they give Ostberg a third car on a number of events but Breen has to sit out when Loeb comes in? Unless Ostberg pays for his drive this just doesn't make much sense.

N.O.T
18th April 2018, 13:52
So they give Ostberg a third car on a number of events but Breen has to sit out when Loeb comes in? Unless Ostberg pays for his drive this just doesn't make much sense.

Ostbergs daddy pays... not hard to figure it out... even for a british person.

Watson
18th April 2018, 14:04
Ostbergs daddy pays... not hard to figure it out... even for a british person.

I'm not British so I take your remark as a compliment for my English language skills. Either way, I haven't read about him paying for his seat so I didn't take it for a fact. It is a fair assumption though.

AnttiL
18th April 2018, 14:15
Didn't I already reply this in another thread? Mads's Citroen even had Adapta stickers in Sweden. It's quite obvious he funds at least parts of his Citroen drives.

N.O.T
18th April 2018, 14:17
I'm not British so I take your remark as a compliment for my English language skills. Either way, I haven't read about him paying for his seat so I didn't take it for a fact. It is a fair assumption though.

unfortunately it was the way of thinking (or not) that gave me a hint... who would pay ostberg to drive and why ?

Watson
18th April 2018, 14:27
unfortunately it was the way of thinking (or not) that gave me a hint... who would pay ostberg to drive and why ?

Well, he is the only driver with new generation car experience that isn't already tied to another team. It could have been that Citroen realised that two cars are not enough. Long-term it would make more sense to get in a young gun, short-term Ostberg is the only real choice this season.

But again, him paying does make more sense considering that Citroen looks to have written off the season before it started and are just looking for some event wins.

You win the argument. Feel free to gloom.

Edit: Feel free to be smug. See my English is not that good.

N.O.T
18th April 2018, 14:31
You win the argument.

i am used to it kid... i do not celebrate anymore.

Watson
18th April 2018, 14:40
i am used to it kid... i do not celebrate anymore.

Way to claim not to be smug while implying the complete opposite. An unheard of piece of rhetoric. I stand in awe.

NickRally
18th April 2018, 14:47
I followed the discussion on the 2018 Rally GB route here, but did not have a chance to read the actual Autosport article until now and has got to say I am firmly with the organisers here – what a missed opportunity it would be, if FIA does not agree to something along those lines. I think it would be a fantastic challenge for the drivers, who would presumably have to tackle it on used gravel tyres and obviously gravel suspension – I would absolutely relish the sight of full gravel spec cars on tarmac, which would remind me of what rallying used to be when I started following it more than 35 years ago. It will once again sort the men from the boys just as the night stages last year. And it will be worth the additional bonus points
Also, I see nothing wrong with bringing the sport to the people – once again, when rallying was the real deal, it didn’t just stay in the forest, it went everywhere, including towns, so when it is finally allowed to do so in the UK and the organisers want to maximise on this opportunity by doing it using the power stage, I think they should be applauded, not booed .
I vote “for”!

https://i2-prod.dailypost.co.uk/incoming/article10418061.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/WRGB-Llandudno-3.jpg

Watson
18th April 2018, 15:39
How about they do it alike Spain and they make Sunday all tarmac stages with a longer service on Saturday night to change the car to asphalt spec? Mixed events are pretty interesting and if there's a full day of asphalt stages the power stage would still be representative of the rally.

I agree with Nick though, the guys wrestling gravel spec cars on asphalt also sounds like quite a spectacle.

Mirek
18th April 2018, 17:18
I followed the discussion on the 2018 Rally GB route here, but did not have a chance to read the actual Autosport article until now and has got to say I am firmly with the organisers here – what a missed opportunity it would be, if FIA does not agree to something along those lines. I think it would be a fantastic challenge for the drivers, who would presumably have to tackle it on used gravel tyres and obviously gravel suspension – I would absolutely relish the sight of full gravel spec cars on tarmac, which would remind me of what rallying used to be when I started following it more than 35 years ago. It will once again sort the men from the boys just as the night stages last year. And it will be worth the additional bonus points
Also, I see nothing wrong with bringing the sport to the people – once again, when rallying was the real deal, it didn’t just stay in the forest, it went everywhere, including towns, so when it is finally allowed to do so in the UK and the organisers want to maximise on this opportunity by doing it using the power stage, I think they should be applauded, not booed .
I vote “for”!

Dear Nick, this stage used to be run before and there is nothing wrong about that. The point is that it's really strange to have a power stage which is by its character a complete opposite of the whole rally. It's a stage for which extra points are awarded therefore it shall at least follow the general idea of the event and not bring something completely different. Otherwise we may end with a competition for the most crazy idea for holding a power stage. Germany may be run on soft gravel or sand. Mexico may build a power stage in the city with 10 roundabouts to go around etc.

If You want to have a mixed event do it like they do in Catalunya or even better on Cyprus (especially IRC editions were great in this regard) but don't do that for one and only stage for which extra points are awarded.

N.O.T
18th April 2018, 17:44
I stand in awe.

i am used to that reaction as well kid... nothing new.

Gregor-y
18th April 2018, 18:10
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135442/fia-blocks-radical-rally-gb-stage-plan
The organisers of Britain's World Rally Championship round will now have to rethink the final day of the October event after the governing body declined a planned powerstage using the all-asphalt Great Orme test, which had been extended into the centre of Llandudno.

If they want something like that it needs to take place in someone's park and branded as a "revenge of the stately homes" stage.

traxx
18th April 2018, 18:53
Jokers: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/toutesvoitures_2018_05.04.2018.pdf

Anybody knows what is "ERJ" ?

Mirek
18th April 2018, 18:58
ERJ is the joker (in my underastanding it means erratum-joker). Erratum = a modification replacing previous one, i.e. not a variant but a fixed change meant to be mandatory for all users after a certain period of time. AFAIK VO (optional variants) don't require using jokers.

traxx
18th April 2018, 19:21
So, only lines with ERJ need a joker ? No joker for VO, VF, ER ?

Mirek
18th April 2018, 19:25
I don't have the homologation rules therefore I can't say what can be homologated as ER, as VO or VF but I suppose that only ERJ requires use of joker.

traxx
18th April 2018, 19:31
In this document, we can see ER as joker ? https://www.rfeda.es/documents/20185/734626/RD%20ASFALTO%202017%20Anexo%2012%20Declaraci%C3%B3 n%20Jokers%20Veh%C3%ADculos%20Gr%20R5

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2018, 20:06
Why does Ostberg always thank Citroen for his C3 WRC drives and hope they give him more, if he's paying anyway ?

Or is he only paying part and its a joint enterprise - Citroen has a low budget and Adapta has money ?

AnttiL
18th April 2018, 20:18
Or is he only paying part and its a joint enterprise - Citroen has a low budget and Adapta has money ?

That's what I'm presuming. Otherwise he wouldn't have Abu Dhabi and Citroen livery on the car, it would look like his last year's car instead. Also, he wouldn't probably then score manufacturer points for the team. I think it's a win-win deal. Østberg gets a cheaper drive and Citroen gets cheaper manufacturer points.

PLuto
18th April 2018, 20:57

It is easier to bring third car to European events than to Mexico... All logistics are made in advance.

AnttiL
18th April 2018, 21:05
It is easier to bring third car to European events than to Mexico... All logistics are made in advance.

Al-Qassimi drives in Argentina, so their long-haul setup must be three-car-ready. It's simple as that, Østberg (and especially Al-Qassimi) brings $$$ in, Breen does not.

Besides, they couldn't give Breen a third car for Corsica either, although it's their home event.

rallyfiend
18th April 2018, 21:06

Indeed.

It's one thing to throw an extra car on a plane to an event, it's a different matter to have enough parts in the seafreight to service it...

AnttiL
18th April 2018, 21:07
I would absolutely relish the sight of full gravel spec cars on tarmac, which would remind me of what rallying used to be when I started following it more than 35 years ago.

We saw this already on the power stage of Mexico, and we'll get more in Argentina (Tanti - Mataderos), Portugal (Amarante), Sardegna (Castelsardo) and most likely Catalunya (Terra Alta).

Mirek
18th April 2018, 21:11
In this document, we can see ER as joker ? https://www.rfeda.es/documents/20185/734626/RD%20ASFALTO%202017%20Anexo%2012%20Declaraci%C3%B3 n%20Jokers%20Veh%C3%ADculos%20Gr%20R5

Thanks, never saw this document. Maybe I'm wrong then.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th April 2018, 13:51
I would absolutely relish the sight of full gravel spec cars on tarmac, which would remind me of what rallying used to be when I started following it more than 35 years ago.

I cant agree - I find the big drawback of such stages (SSS or street stages) is how the cars look and handle on the asphalt when in gravel-spec.

They really dont look right, rolling and pitching on the tall, soft suspension and little gravel wheels.

Simmi
19th April 2018, 15:50
I sort of figured it was sensationalist headlines in Motorsport News yesterday but it seems that this FIA stage snub could have a knock-on effect with the Welsh government when it comes to renewing their contract for Rally GB. Bad timing to anger the people putting the £££s in. Would be a bit short-sighted to throw away the rally over one shot down plan. But let's see.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135487/fia-delay-prompts-questions-over-gb-future

Fast Eddie WRC
19th April 2018, 16:40
I sort of figured it was sensationalist headlines in Motorsport News yesterday but it seems that this FIA stage snub could have a knock-on effect with the Welsh government when it comes to renewing their contract for Rally GB. Bad timing to anger the people putting the £££s in. Would be a bit short-sighted to throw away the rally over one shot down plan. But let's see.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135487/fia-delay-prompts-questions-over-gb-future

Are the FIA going to that bothered ? They have many other countries desperate to run a WRC event.

Its not worth losing Rally GB for the sake of this stage.

Sanremo
19th April 2018, 16:49

"The event has moved right to the front of October for this season, which means real potential for great weather, big crowds and some amazing shots from the helicopter".

Ok! Now let's move rally Monte Carlo and Sweden to August so that I don't have to freeze my ass off in the cold!!! Who cares about the peculiarities that made of RAC an event (foggy and muddy weather)... we could have "some amazing shots from the helicopter" at the expense of this ever concerning sport... (sarcasm)

AndyRAC
19th April 2018, 20:50
Playing Devil's advocate, here's a slightly controversial view; would the WRC be worse if there was no RallyGB? What does it offer the sport nowadays?

The sport of rallying is at a low ebb in the UK; with a BRC which is a shadow of it's former self, a WRC round centred on a small part of North Wales which receives poor national media coverage, and while in recent years we've seen healthy-ish crowds, the interest from the general motorsport fans is limited (going by the popular motorsport websites/ forums). I still think it's living on it's history - and as much as I enjoy going, it's become just another gravel event, rather than the epic challenge it was in the RAC days.

The organisers have relied on the Welsh money for far too long, it's not going to go on forever - maybe they should be more proactive trying to obtain backing from other sources - and dare one say, actually move the event somewhere else. Kielder & Yorkshire haven't had it for the best part of 20 years.......a crying shame.

L555MAT
20th April 2018, 10:31
Playing Devil's advocate, here's a slightly controversial view; would the WRC be worse if there was no RallyGB? What does it offer the sport nowadays?

The sport of rallying is at a low ebb in the UK; with a BRC which is a shadow of it's former self, a WRC round centred on a small part of North Wales which receives poor national media coverage, and while in recent years we've seen healthy-ish crowds, the interest from the general motorsport fans is limited (going by the popular motorsport websites/ forums). I still think it's living on it's history - and as much as I enjoy going, it's become just another gravel event, rather than the epic challenge it was in the RAC days.

The organisers have relied on the Welsh money for far too long, it's not going to go on forever - maybe they should be more proactive trying to obtain backing from other sources - and dare one say, actually move the event somewhere else. Kielder & Yorkshire haven't had it for the best part of 20 years.......a crying shame.

The UK is still a big market to all the manufacturers involved, plus I would say WRGB is considered a 'legacy' event very much the same as RMC and Finland. I agree with what your saying about the event itself, looking at the route for the 1985, a 5 day event with more stage mileage in one day than the entire rally these days. The rally is very much a reflection of the modern wrc. The same stages used year in and year out with very little change.

AndyRAC
20th April 2018, 12:28
The UK is still a big market to all the manufacturers involved....

A big market, yet I can't recall the last time I saw any of them use their WRC efforts in any advertisement.

In my opinion RallyGB needs the WRC far more than the WRC needs the event.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th April 2018, 17:01
I can understand where the Welsh Govt is coming from in wanting 'more for their money' from WRGB.

The stages in the forests are great for rally drivers and fans but they dont show the best of Wales to any great extent as a tourist destination.

I remember some on this forum raving about photos of the cars on the Great Orme with great scenery of the coastline in the background. They were shocked and didnt realise how beautiful it is on the N.Wales coast.

The Welsh Govt want to show this to the world via WRGB.

er88
20th April 2018, 19:25
Rally GB should have 5/6/7yrs in one place, then move to another place within the uk. Enough time to build on and progress an event, but not long enough in one area that it goes stale for fans and drivers.

North Wales/ South Wales, Yorkshire/kielder/, Scotland and Nothern Ireland could all put on events. Just a question of funding.

AndyRAC
21st April 2018, 11:47
British rallying part of this forum one of the quietest and the main British rally forum is a shadow of its former self so a reflection of the lack of media and manufacturer interest quite possible.

At least I'm trying to keep it alive and this weekend we have the first closed road rally to be held under the new legislation. Maybe this is when the fight back starts?

Go on the forums of Autosport, Pistonheads, TenTenths, Crash, etc it's even worse. BRC/ ERC get virtually no comments, and even the WRC only gets a handful of comments per WRC event.

Personally, when events are relying on Tourist board/ a regional assembly for backing, then you know there is a problem with a sport. Where is the big financial sponsorship?? There isn't really any, because the sport is hidden away.....

Franky
21st April 2018, 11:54
I think with forums it really depends. Tho if it's the main rally forum, then it's certainly a worrying sign.

E.g. here the F1 section seems to get nearly no traffic compared to the WRC section.

janvanvurpa
21st April 2018, 19:04
I think with forums it really depends. Tho if it's the main rally forum, then it's certainly a worrying sign.

E.g. here the F1 section seems to get nearly no traffic compared to the WRC section.

but in F1 there's nothing happening so what is there to talk about? They never get sideways, no gravel, no jumps..It could be primitive CGI and nobody could tell.

KiwiWRCfan
21st April 2018, 20:30
Friday, 4 May 2018 at 9.30am has been set for the appeal by M-Sport regarding Rally Mexico WRC power stage points. It will take place in Paris. https://www.fia.com/news/international-court-appeal-hearing-may-4-2018

Fast Eddie WRC
21st April 2018, 21:32
Rally GB should have 5/6/7yrs in one place, then move to another place within the uk. Enough time to build on and progress an event, but not long enough in one area that it goes stale for fans and drivers.

North Wales/ South Wales, Yorkshire/kielder/, Scotland and Nothern Ireland could all put on events. Just a question of funding.

That would be great, but you answered yourself... where's the funding coming from ?

The Welsh Assembly have to be thanked for keeping the money coming for Rally GB as I dont see anywhere else in the UK even considering it.

AndyRAC
22nd April 2018, 10:56
That would be great, but you answered yourself... where's the funding coming from ?

The Welsh Assembly have to be thanked for keeping the money coming for Rally GB as I dont see anywhere else in the UK even considering it.

It's basically the MSA/ IMS 'putting all their eggs in the Welsh Assembly basket' - everybody says it great, but is it? That nobody else seems interested is a pretty damning indictment on the sport. It won't go on forever, something else will come along and be favoured by the Welsh assembly (most likely an International cycle race) - and then the event will be up the creek without a paddle. Which is why the event should have been rotated around.....

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd April 2018, 14:16
Which is why the event should have been rotated around.....

'Should have been' only works if somewhere else was willing to put up the money. But yes, rallying in the UK is at a very low ebb, so low interest.

Other areas have found better ways to promote their tourism but Wales must find Rally GB useful as its been going for years now. I dont think many foreign tourists visiting the UK come to Wales compared to England and Scotland, so Visit Wales is getting some publicity from rallying. Plus its virtually their national sport after rugby ..

AnttiL
23rd April 2018, 10:56
https://www.rallit.fi/wrc-tallipomo-perusteli-teemu-sunisen-yllatysvalintaa/

Suninen could be dropped from Turkey if the team has no more chance to win the manufacturer's title at that point. Instead, they wanted him to drive as many rallies as possible on the beginning half of the season. Ogier's wins in Monte and Mexico encouraged Wilson to put Suninen in the third car for Argentina.

Watson
23rd April 2018, 11:59
It went completely below my radar that Suninen was going to start in Argentina.

Fast Eddie was right then. Wilson wasn't really aiming for the constructor's but now they have a chance they pursue it as much as possible.

AnttiL
23rd April 2018, 12:42
It went completely below my radar that Suninen was going to start in Argentina.

It was told to him as a surprise during Mexico.

jbmarcus21
23rd April 2018, 17:12
Decision about #RallyMexico penalty appeal from Ogier will be decided by FIA on next 4th May ► http://bit.ly/2K9IE07

Andre Oliveira
23rd April 2018, 20:40
Polo GTI WRC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbfioWmW4AEgQmD?format=jpg&name=large

kirungi okwogera
23rd April 2018, 23:27
A big market, yet I can't recall the last time I saw any of them use their WRC efforts in any advertisement.

In my opinion RallyGB needs the WRC far more than the WRC needs the event.

Definitely the words of someone who has not been to Piccadilly Circus in the past couple years. There's been a good amount of Hyundai WRC stuff on the famous building sized screens there. I don't watch anything with ads really so I presume that was part of a bigger campaign as well.

Fast Eddie WRC
25th April 2018, 14:14
Seems a compromise has been found in the WRGB power stage issue:

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/breakthrough-in-rally-gb-route-row/

mknight
25th April 2018, 14:36
Give points for a stage earlier on Sunday. Uhh.

That will make the remaining sunday stages even more of a cruise than before. On the other hand since drivers/teams will focus on setup and tires on the first stage it might result in bigger gaps in the tarmac stage if there is anything to fight for.

Fast Eddie WRC
25th April 2018, 18:11
Better to have the driver's 'trying' on a proper stage (for the PS points) than on a glorified tarmac SSS.

rallyfiend
25th April 2018, 19:02
http://eldoce.tv/deportes/robo-cordoba-ingleses-tv-aeropuerto-rally-argentina-2018-mundial-error-gps-inseguridad_64547

Seems some WRC Promoter people were robbed at gunpoint in Cordoba.

I'm sure that will be well received.....

EstWRC
26th April 2018, 21:10
Latvala abandons 2018 WRC title challenge, aims for event wins

Jari-Matti Latvala has ditched his World Rally Championship title challenge and will now focus on winning individual events in 2018.

The Toyota driver made a good start to his new plan with the fastest time in Thursday's shakedown stage for this weekend's Rally Argentina.

It is now 15 rallies since the Latvala's last victory (Rally Sweden, 2017), which represents his longest gap between wins since his triumph in the '11 Rally GB ended a run of 18 events with no success.

"It's been a long time since I was winning a rally, [so] on the personal level it's really important for me to win here," Latvala told Autosport.

"Before the last rally in Corsica, I was thinking a lot about the championship, but now I'm thinking more like: 'let's go rally-by-rally and focus on what we can do with the events starting from here'.

"I'm happy with the start here. We worked on the traction from the car at the pre-event test in Sardinia and that has worked well."

Latvala admitted the pressure on him was growing as his Toyota team-mates Ott Tanak and Esapekka Lappi continued to show more and more speed in their Yaris WRCs.

"Ott Tanak and Esapekka have been doing really well and the competition level is higher now," he said.

"Sometimes pressure can be good also because it pushes you to a better performance."

Latvala headed Citroen pair Craig Breen and Kris Meeke across the three-mile shakedown stage, beating them by three and four-tenths respectively.

After he returned to action for the first time since finishing second in Sweden, Breen was delighted with taking second in the shakedown.

"It's great to be back in my C3 WRC, especially as the feeling was good right from the word go this morning," he said.

"I feel we have a good package to challenge at the front this weekend.

"Although I may lack experience on this unusual surface, I'm going to give it everything and make the most of my good road position tomorrow."

Meeke was slightly more circumspect, adding: "Although you should never draw any hasty conclusions based on the shakedown, it's always positive to start the racing weekend like this.

"I was comfortable in my C3 WRC today and the times reflected that.

"I just hope it'll be the same thing when we start racing, but the opening leg is going to be a huge challenge on extremely fast and bumpy roads that are very demanding."

Andreas Mikkelsen was fourth fastest, with Tanak and Thierry Neuville close behind.

Championship leader Sebastien Ogier was the fastest Ford Fiesta WRC driver in seventh, 1.5-seconds off Latvala's pace.

Rally Argentina starts with a dash around the streets of Villa Carlos Paz on Thursday evening.

The main action starts south of the service park on the roads around San Agustin.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135608/latvala-ditches-title-challenge-aims-for-wins

Simmi
26th April 2018, 21:20
Whatever you need to tell yourself Jari...

He was talking pre-season about how aiming for a podium every rally was the route to the title - like Ogier last year. Now it's win or bust. Sad really but I don't see him winning another WRC event. Even when the Yaris is the strongest car he'll have at least one, probably two teammates driving quicker.

steve.mandzij
26th April 2018, 23:22
Whatever you need to tell yourself Jari...

He was talking pre-season about how aiming for a podium every rally was the route to the title - like Ogier last year. Now it's win or bust. Sad really but I don't see him winning another WRC event. Even when the Yaris is the strongest car he'll have at least one, probably two teammates driving quicker.I have faith in him racking up more wins. He's quick, although he hasn't showed it this year, I suppose due to his consistency plan. In Finland last year he was unbeatable and before he crashed he'd been putting in a massive push. He also nearly won the Mexico PS.

Tarmop
27th April 2018, 07:27
And yet he has only one SS win at this point. I hope he gets his mojo back also, but ...

EstWRC
27th April 2018, 07:38
didnt he have the same thinking in 2016? i remember that at one year he said the same thing after some rounds but i dont remember how it worked out.

and the thing that always makes me scratching my head is why Jari always says such things in public.

AnttiL
27th April 2018, 08:52
I have faith in him racking up more wins. He's quick, although he hasn't showed it this year, I suppose due to his consistency plan. In Finland last year he was unbeatable and before he crashed he'd been putting in a massive push. He also nearly won the Mexico PS.

Didn’t crash in Finland.

BigWorm
27th April 2018, 09:43
Apart from 2014, his seasons have never really turned out to be championship contending. He'll win a few more rallies, like he always has done, before his retirement.

steve.mandzij
27th April 2018, 13:22
Didn’t crash in Finland.I know, my mistake, I thought I'd written "in Corsica"

steve.mandzij
27th April 2018, 20:25
Trivia question: has there ever been a rally with all the top drivers under rally2? If not, what was the highest amount of restarting cars?

Andre Oliveira
27th April 2018, 20:38
No. Rally2 is quite recent. On past maybe that could happened with so much more stages and days

focus206
27th April 2018, 20:44
Trivia question: has there ever been a rally with all the top drivers under rally2? If not, what was the highest amount of restarting cars?

With Rally 2 no. I know of a Bandama Rally of the early 70's (if I'm not mistaking) with 0 finishers, everyone retired.
I wouldn't know about the second question.

janvanvurpa
28th April 2018, 02:17
I know, my mistake, I thought I'd written "in Corsica"

You were close...don't feel bad.:crazy:

KiwiWRCfan
28th April 2018, 04:31

What is now known as Rally 2 first appeared in 2004 and was initially known as Super Rally. During 2004 returning cars were not eligible to score points. In 2005 penalty times were introduced for each missed stage and returning cars were able to score points.
From 2012 I have been tracking % of top tier cars DNFing, Finishing under rally 2 and having clean finishes. Argentina 2012 had 14 starters of whom 4 retired and 5 finished using rally 2 rules. This meant only 5 cars ( 36% ) had a clean finish. This is the lowest clean finish % since start of 2012 season.
Second lowest clean finish % since 2012 was Argentina 2015.

jbmarcus21
29th April 2018, 17:29
Full standings 2018 after #RallyArgentina ► http://bit.ly/XL8nl9

jbmarcus21
30th April 2018, 11:24
#WalesRallyGB revealed today 2018 road program include 23 Stages (319.34kms) + new concept for Power Stage will run on sunday second stage "Gwydyr" first loop.. Full details ► http://bit.ly/2rc9vjd

Fast Eddie WRC
30th April 2018, 12:13
RALLY GB NEW STAGE

Adding to the spectator experience, Friday’s programme also includes an all-new stage at Slate Mountain at Llechwedd Slate Caverns, where cars will run twice in quick succession, providing visitors with a double dose of WRC thrills.

#WRGB #WRC https://t.co/6JBNJg1J0D

Fast Eddie WRC
30th April 2018, 12:17
The final stage of the 2018 Dayinsure Wales Rally GB

It will also be FREE to watch for spectators!

#WRGB #WRC | @ConwyCBC | @eventsconwy | @Dayinsure | @visitwales | @OfficialWRC https://t.co/7OKpD8UdTO

Andre Oliveira
30th April 2018, 12:34
‘POWER STAGE’
13.3.1 Announcement:
On each World Rally Championship rally, the organiser shall include one special stage called a ‘Power Stage’ with the purpose of enhancing TV coverage.
13.3.2 Characteristics
This stage shall:
- Be the last stage of the rally.
- Be run at a time in agreement with the Promoter and the FIA.
- Be run as a stage of the event for all classified competitors.
- Be representative of the rally.
- Be preceded by Media Zone and a regroup of at least 30 minutes. Arts. 42.5.2 and 48.2.2 do not apply for
this Media Zone and this regroup.
- Be timed to the elapsed millisecond.
- Be chosen in consultation with and after the approval of the FIA and the Promoter.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th April 2018, 12:38
Rally GB route officially presented today...
Direct link to full timetable here https://t.co/pnQcgiEoay https://t.co/V3YaLByFDn

wwbroe
30th April 2018, 13:05
‘POWER STAGE’
13.3.1 Announcement:
On each World Rally Championship rally, the organiser shall include one special stage called a ‘Power Stage’ with the purpose of enhancing TV coverage.
13.3.2 Characteristics
This stage shall:
- Be preceded by Media Zone and a regroup of at least 30 minutes. Arts. 42.5.2 and 48.2.2 do not apply for
- Be chosen in consultation with and after the approval of the FIA and the Promoter.

That is what i was thinking also, shouldn't the power stage be the last stage of the rally? According to regulations from FIA it should!!!

N.O.T
30th April 2018, 13:42
‘POWER STAGE’
13.3.1 Announcement:
13.3.2 Characteristics
This stage shall:

yes but you have to take into account that we are talking about the british here... special needs kids always must have special treatment in order to feel they are competent as the others...

anyone knows if boggey times are going to be in for the Gb rally ?

Fast Eddie WRC
30th April 2018, 14:28
Yeah fine, stick to the so-important PS rules... dont worrying about trying to grow the visiblity of the sport in the UK.

And NOT, as you are constantly critical and unsulting to the people and country which gave you a home and a job, why not go back to your small pathetic impoverished Greek backwater ?

N.O.T
30th April 2018, 14:34
And NOT, as you are constantly critical and unsulting to the people and country which gave you a home and a job, why not go back to your small pathetic impoverished Greek backwater ?

they pay far less...

Fast Eddie WRC
30th April 2018, 14:38
Not slagging the economy then, created by the hard-working British ?

Show some respect you clown.

N.O.T
30th April 2018, 14:44
Not slagging the economy then, created by the hard-working British ?

Show some respect you clown.

i am slagging your retarded health and safety regulation on everything, your worthless legal system which creates professional criminals, your stupidity when it comes to organising things, your vomit inducing political correctness and the fact that you cannot get over the fact that nobody cares what you think anymore, you are irrlevant to the world scene...

Watson
30th April 2018, 15:20
i am slagging your retarded health and safety regulation on everything, your worthless legal system which creates professional criminals, your stupidity when it comes to organising things, your vomit inducing political correctness and the fact that you cannot get over the fact that nobody cares what you think anymore, you are irrlevant to the world scene...

Again, what are you doing in a rally forum that you think is full of idiots? I'm sure there are plenty of places on the internet where you can join a circle jerk of some other tinfoil hat wearing clowns about how only you lot know the truth about the earth being flat, the lizard people, alien abductions and what not. Get a grip man.

N.O.T
30th April 2018, 15:29
Again, what are you doing in a rally forum that you think is full of idiots? I'm sure there are plenty of places on the internet where you can join a circle jerk of some other tinfoil hat wearing clowns about how only you lot know the truth about the earth being flat, the lizard people, alien abductions and what not. Get a grip man.

the class is over for today kids... back on topic.

PS. I do not believe in flat earth... lizard people is another story.

Watson
30th April 2018, 15:32
PS. I do not believe in flat earth... lizard people is another story.

Class is over? You passed geography but I'd recommend some extra classes in biology.

ESTR
30th April 2018, 17:46
Why we don't open new thread for arguing with NOT.

steve.mandzij
30th April 2018, 18:39
Yeah fine, stick to the so-important PS rules... dont worrying about trying to grow the visiblity of the sport in the UK.

And NOT, as you are constantly critical and unsulting to the people and country which gave you a home and a job, why not go back to your small pathetic impoverished Greek backwater ?We might as well not have any rules then if they're gonna be broken so explicitly.

Andre Oliveira
30th April 2018, 18:46
That should be changed no?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcDMLgbXUAAdx0u?format=jpg&name=medium

AnttiL
30th April 2018, 19:54
I think second one still applies. You may win the power stage but you still need to finish the rally. But the first one is a waiver, like many other exceptions (no super special in Corsica, Thursday stages in Monte, same road three times in Sweden and Mexico etc)

KiwiWRCfan
30th April 2018, 21:06
That should be changed no?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcDMLgbXUAAdx0u?format=jpg&name=medium

We should not have power stage points awarded to someone who does not complete rally.
If they give dispensation for the first arrow then keeping the second arrow becomes even more important.

sollitt
1st May 2018, 03:05
...the hard-working British ?

.Oxymoron anybody?

sollitt
1st May 2018, 03:07
We should not have power stage points awarded to someone who does not complete rally.
If they give dispensation for the first arrow then keeping the second arrow becomes even more important.

1. Why not?
2. No it doesn't.

GravelBen
1st May 2018, 03:25

You could say we already do with Rally2.

AnttiL
1st May 2018, 08:17
http://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/201804292200910722_ri.shtml

Current WRC driver salaries listed

Ogier 8-9 m€
Latvala 4-4,5 m€
Neuville 2,5-3 m€
Mikkelsen, Sordo, Paddon, Tänak, Meeke 1-1,5 m€
Lappi 1 m€
Breen 0,6 m€
Rovanperä, Evans 0,1 m€
Suninen only sponsor money, about 0,2m€

Also stuff about the bonus system, like Ogier getting 10% bonus for each win and also bonuses from last year titles. Toyota gives bonus from finishing 2nd or 3rd in the championship. And an interesting bit of fact was that the co-drivers are paid by their drivers, except for Citroen where the team pays their salaries as well.

Mk2 RS2000
1st May 2018, 08:33
Why we don't open new thread for arguing with NOT.

It could be a whatnot thread

Tarmop
1st May 2018, 08:35
:D

That salary crap is something some person(s) makes out. Last week Mads got paid 500k by some team for sitting home, Ogier earnt 3 mil etc.
Anyway not nice to look into others wallets.

krissucool
1st May 2018, 09:55

Ogier 8-9 m€
Latvala 4-4,5 m€
Neuville 2,5-3 m€
Lappi 1 m€
Breen 0,6 m€
Rovanperä, Evans 0,1 m€

Also stuff about the bonus system, like Ogier getting 10% bonus for each win and also bonuses from last year titles. Toyota gives bonus from finishing 2nd or 3rd in the championship. And an interesting bit of fact was that the co-drivers are paid by their drivers, except for Citroen where the team pays their salaries as well.

Tanak would have to have a really shitty agent for him to be making as much money as Paddon or Sordo after last season and having two teams wanting him this past summer.

EstWRC
1st May 2018, 10:14
his salary is not correct there, as far as i know. it is more.

jopakoll
1st May 2018, 10:22
$2.75 million accourding to this site https://www.totalsportek.com/money/wrc-rally-drivers-salaries/

krissucool
1st May 2018, 10:23
his salary is not correct there, as far as i know. it is more.

That is clearly a given, considering the position he was in to negotiate his deal.

Allez Andruet
1st May 2018, 18:09
At first you would imagine that Meeke and Tänak are making considerably more than Sordo and Paddon, but then again, Sordo probably has some Red Bull K€'s there included and Paddon might have some financial support coming from Oceania. For Meeke and Tänak, that figure could be more the baseline than anything else.

Btw, isn't Miika Wuorela (the writer) working for TGR? Somehow I think he's the one updating TGR WRC twitter account and writing the press releases or am I completely lost here?

Tarmop
1st May 2018, 18:17
In 2017 it was 2mil+ for Tänak, discussed even here. Taxes/without taxes and 2 mil. may come to that yes. Mikkelsen and Neuville live in Monaco, probably "pay" there also, so a huge addition from that already.

Hartusvuori
1st May 2018, 20:05
Btw, isn't Miika Wuorela (the writer) working for TGR? Somehow I think he's the one updating TGR WRC twitter account and writing the press releases or am I completely lost here?

Wuorela is not nor have ever been involved with TGR. He does WRC event-to-event basis as a mixture of communications officer for Buagsport (Jouhki) and freelance journalist (Yle, Ilta-Sanomat, Vauhdin Maailma).

Allez Andruet
2nd May 2018, 07:06
Wuorela is not nor have ever been involved with TGR. He does WRC event-to-event basis as a mixture of communications officer for Buagsport (Jouhki) and freelance journalist (Yle, Ilta-Sanomat, Vauhdin Maailma).

Thanks for the clarification. I had a hunch you might know it better :)

AnttiL
2nd May 2018, 07:38
About the salaries: it probably varies from resource to another because there's so many ways to calculate it. With tax or without? With winning bonus or without? With expenses (co-driver salary, manager % etc) reduced or not? With sponsor money included or not? In case of Mikkelsen, Latvala and Ogier, with the previous contract salary applied or not?

However, I would consider Miika Wuorela as a very trustworthy journalist.

N.O.T
2nd May 2018, 08:50

Ogier 8-9 m€
Latvala 4-4,5 m€
Neuville 2,5-3 m€
Lappi 1 m€
Breen 0,6 m€
Rovanperä, Evans 0,1 m€

the only thing more stupid that this imaginary list are the people who believe it.....

dimviii
2nd May 2018, 12:32
Toyota rules out making Latvala number two for Tanak WRC title bid

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135743/toyota-rules-out-team-orders-to-boost-tanak

Simmi
3rd May 2018, 14:50
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135765/new-push-to-get-privateers-back-in-wrc

Where to even begin with this! After turning their nose up at privateer involvement in current cars, saying these drivers weren't worthy or didn't have the ability. Now the FIA are backtracking.

Not a surprise when the likes of M-Sport can't shift cars.

Also Nasser's Toyota deal isn't happening.

the sniper
3rd May 2018, 15:44
While I'm no longer surprised by anything that 'the powers that be' come out in the WRC, how can they have this discussion about encouraging privateers and the main solution be 'we'll reduce the turbo restrictor by 2mm', as if that is the problem...? Sometimes I wonder whether some things get lost in translation through David Evans or whether their discussions really are so odd.

Malcolm wants to see them in national championships. Me too! How about subsidising the running of three or four of them in a revival of a proper 'Open BRC' Mr Wilson. ;)

Tommi wants to see them in the ERC! That'd be nice, though, has he been briefed by somebody at WRC Promoter who thinks that there are rather too many R5 cars entered in ERC rallies this year...?

AnttiL
3rd May 2018, 18:13
Bertelli is the only private driver who has attempted to put a sustained programme together in a current car, tackling Sweden, Mexico and Argentina in a Ford Fiesta last year.

Really, what about Østberg?

Very weird indeed. First they ban private entries and now they want them back.

Difficult to say what I would think. I don't like it when there's drivers at no-man's land, driving their own speed with minutes apart from anyone else. Of course it's spectacular to see a WRC car and good to have more of them, but at the same time I'd just rather have more cars in WRC2 and more exposure for them.

Also, it would seem weird to have one or two WRC cars on national or ERC level, letting the richest gentleman win. The R5 cars are pretty spectacular as well and while they're affordable compared to WRC cars, still very expensive to run. There's still now a nice amount of them in national championships.

Mirek
3rd May 2018, 18:34
FIA, for God's sake please don't bring the new WRC cars on ERC or national level. Everything is just fine with R5. For once don't try to fix what's not broken!

Simmi
3rd May 2018, 19:09
Yeah that comment from Tommi about the ERC is one of the more nutty things I've heard in the last few years.

EstWRC
4th May 2018, 12:45
Toyota's World Rally Championship rivals fear 'embarrassing' Yaris

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135782/rivals-fear-toyota-embarrassing-wrc-pace

mknight
4th May 2018, 14:01

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135782/rivals-fear-toyota-embarrassing-wrc-pace

Well I have been voicing concerns like that since Monte and some 1-2-3 stage results (and for that matter also last year after some rallies where Hyundai dominated). So let's hope it does not happen.
Sure for fans of one of the Toyota drivers it will be good but not for the sport in the longer term.

Last time we had very good competition from multiple manus was 2003-2004, and then Citroen started dominating (arguably not only due to car) and we went down to 2 manufacturers over just a few years.

This time it seemingly is like this:
Toyota - going up and putting tons of money in
M-Sport - keeping 1 car in the top of the comp., very dependent on his performance, no money for other drivers
Citroen - half-hearted program with uncertain future, using funds to make the car less unpredictable
Hyundai - big issues with performance on tarmac and in Finland (5 out of 13 rallies !)

Worst case:
Citroen drops out , M-sport goes into "cheap drivers and money-making" mode and Hyundai struggles to compete

Rally Power
4th May 2018, 14:08
Sometimes I wonder whether some things get lost in translation through David Evans or whether their discussions really are so odd.

Maybe the meeting took place after a full lunch…or even at the bar! It’s really hard to believe that Wilson and Makinen can sincerely defend the use of over 700.000€ cars in regional or national series. Most likely it’s just Evans getting confused with so many scoops…

rallyfiend
4th May 2018, 14:20
Maybe the meeting took place after a full lunch…or even at the bar! It’s really hard to believe that Wilson and Makinen can sincerely defend the use of over 700.000€ cars in regional or national series. Most likely it’s just Evans getting confused with so many scoops…

Why would this surprise you?

They both want to sell cars / parts / services. That's 100% of the reason for their businesses....

Rally Power
4th May 2018, 14:34
Why would this surprise you?

They both want to sell cars / parts / services. That's 100% of the reason for their businesses....

I don’t see Wilson putting at risk R5 sales, essential to his business, by promoting the use of current mega expensive WRC cars in national series; the same applies to Makinen, having in mind is interest of developing a R5 Yaris.

rallyfiend
4th May 2018, 15:40
I don’t see Wilson putting at risk R5 sales, essential to his business, by promoting the use of current mega expensive WRC cars in national series; the same applies to Makinen, having in mind is interest of developing a R5 Yaris.

Yes, but there are limited number of WRC car suppliers, anyone can make an R5...

Simmi
4th May 2018, 16:43

Weren't Hyundai allegedly going to embarrass the championship by completely dominating this season? Those were the headlines at the start of the year. It hasn't happened and neither will this.

dimviii
4th May 2018, 16:48
Weren't Hyundai allegedly going to embarrass the championship by completely dominating this season? Those were the headlines at the start of the year. It hasn't happened and neither will this.

+1

dimviii
4th May 2018, 17:37
Mads Østberg

I normally don't get overexcited by an entry list, but this one for @rallydeportugal makes me really happy!! Back in the @OfficialWRC with @CitroenRacing
#fightingviking #backinbusiness

steve.mandzij
4th May 2018, 17:40
Well I have been voicing concerns like that since Monte and some 1-2-3 stage results (and for that matter also last year after some rallies where Hyundai dominated). So let's hope it does not happen.
Sure for fans of one of the Toyota drivers it will be good but not for the sport in the longer term.

Last time we had very good competition from multiple manus was 2003-2004, and then Citroen started dominating (arguably not only due to car) and we went down to 2 manufacturers over just a few years.

This time it seemingly is like this:
Toyota - going up and putting tons of money in
M-Sport - keeping 1 car in the top of the comp., very dependent on his performance, no money for other drivers
Citroen - half-hearted program with uncertain future, using funds to make the car less unpredictable
Hyundai - big issues with performance on tarmac and in Finland (5 out of 13 rallies !)

Worst case:
Citroen drops out , M-sport goes into "cheap drivers and money-making" mode and Hyundai struggles to competethe difference is that Toyota don't have either a Loeb nor an Ogier

ESTR
4th May 2018, 20:09
They are free as far as I know at the end of the season and Toyota have 2 seats avaible.

AnttiL
4th May 2018, 20:26
The silly season is going to be interesting this year with so many contracts ending. But it's too early to go there yet ;)

denkimi
4th May 2018, 21:11
why would he care about an r5 less sold, if he can sell a wrc car and make a lot more profit.

and as rallyfiend said: since wilson is the only one who's willing to sell new wrc cars, he's the only one that customers can go to. if they want an r5, they can just as well buy a skoda.

Essaj
4th May 2018, 21:36
The silly season is going to be interesting this year with so many contracts ending. But it's too early to go there yet ;)

Whose contracts are actually ending? IMO Tidemand is only one who could be stepping up for next year.

rallyfiend
4th May 2018, 22:08
Neuville
Meeke
Ogier
Sordo
Paddon
Evans
Latvala
Mikklesen (alledgedly with options)
Breen

Who isn’t is more to the point!?

Essaj
4th May 2018, 22:52
Mhm unless ogier swaps to somewhere I don't see any changes happening. Latvala and Meeke are bit question marks but is there any drivers to replace them with? :o Hopefully we still have 4 WRC teams next year.

dnb
5th May 2018, 01:39
They are free as far as I know at the end of the season and Toyota have 2 seats avaible.

Tänak's contract ends in 2019 and would you believe they'd drop any Finns?

Essaj
5th May 2018, 03:55
Mhm unless ogier swaps to somewhere I don't see any changes happening. Latvala and Meeke are bit question marks but is there any drivers to replace them with? :o Hopefully we still have 4 WRC teams next year.

Purely my own thoughts 5.5.2018.
Neuville will most likely stay at Hyundai. Meeke could be out or maybe go for M-Sport if Ogier leaves? Ogier could do anything. Sordo drives either for Hyundai or quits, Paddon pretty much same. Evans could be out of the scene but will most likely continue in M-Sport. Latvala either continues on Toyota or leaves WRC. Mikkelsen stays in Hyundai unless M-Sport or Citroen finds interest/money to get him. Breen should be #1 Citroen driver next year depending how things go with Meeke - Loeb could change things if he makes a full comeback ( this could be a best change for WRC to keep it interesting). Suninen is going to drive full season with M-Sport as a 3rd driver without a paycheck.

Who could hop in?
Ostberg - did well in Sweden as expected, rest of the outings this year will be crucial. Tidemand; WRC2 champ 2017 and seems to do that in 2018 aswell but is he fast enough to take over a WRC seat? At the moment my bet would be no.
Rovanperä - Has 2+1 year contract with Skoda so not in 2019 and atleast 1 year more in WRC2 would not be bad for him as he still need experience.
Veiby is not up for it, Huttunen is not ready unless Hyundai really wants to go for him, Lefevbre needs to really show some pace to have any change, Camilli seems to be out (no drives after Monte).
Katsuta, I don't think so, maybe if Latvala is out and there is no one to fill his slot, this would be same as huttunen joining Hyundai - Bet for the future.
Tbh current situation looks rather bad. WRC drivers are getting "old" Sordo, Ogier, Latvala, Meeke all of them could be out/retire after this season. Maybe Skoda's possible 2020 WRC campaing could make a positive change as it would most likely be young'ish Skoda team versus others (Tidemand, Rovanperä, Veiby and/or Nordgren).

Hopefully WRC lives on for a long time still but it could end sooner than we're expecting. Hopefully i'm wrong.

Simmi
5th May 2018, 09:03
Three key points in my eyes:
- As a year to year proposition - will Ogier remain in WRC next year?
- Will Citroen stay true to their word and stick out the final season of their WRC commitment?
- I can't see any way in which Hyundai start next season with five contracted drivers.

ESTR
5th May 2018, 13:50
Only Tanak and Mikkelsen are pretty safe until the end of 2019.

Others are free for grabs.

Hyundai will go after Ogier, especially if they don't win drivers title. Thierry will also be their priority. Sordo showed his good pace from past and that he could bring important points home. Unless Paddon show that too we all know who will win this battle for 3rd seat.

M-Sport - Again Ogier. Probably Evans also. Maybe Ostberg again. Suninen or maybe Tidemand.

Citroen (If they stay in the game-I have a feeling that they don't care a lot and will retire). - No other than Loeb. Again they will put money into Meeke and Craig probably lose a seat or do part programme.

Toyota - They will probably stay the same except Ott would be driver number 1 and latvala two.

Drivers that could lose a seat: Paddon, Craig Breen (unless Loeb don't come back and Citroen don't retire), Meeke (same as previous), maybe Latvala (but I don't believe that).

sollitt
6th May 2018, 21:17
There's a lot of water to flow under the bridge yet this season. I wouldn't be writing Paddon off by any stretch of the imagination. Only two seasons ago everybody was touting him as a future champion and Nandan will know that he is one of the very few who has the pace to match Neuville, Ogier and Tanak. He will bring Hyundai a championship. Mikkelsen and Sordo will not.

BigWorm
6th May 2018, 21:58
There's a lot of water to flow under the bridge yet this season. I wouldn't be writing Paddon off by any stretch of the imagination. Only two seasons ago everybody was touting him as a future champion and Nandan will know that he is one of the very few who has the pace to match Neuville, Ogier and Tanak. He will bring Hyundai a championship. Mikkelsen and Sordo will not.

Paddon's a very old-fashion type of driver who only excels on the loose stuff. I can only think of him and Östberg who are in that category in the bunch of the current factory drivers, the others can pretty much perform everywhere.

Even though Mikkelsen's start to the year has not been good enough, he's still a more attractive option to have for a full year.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th May 2018, 23:19
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/135765/new-push-to-get-privateers-back-in-wrc

Where to even begin with this! After turning their nose up at privateer involvement in current cars, saying these drivers weren't worthy or didn't have the ability. Now the FIA are backtracking.

Not a surprise when the likes of M-Sport can't shift cars.

Also Nasser's Toyota deal isn't happening.

Even more ridiculous was saying the Privateers could run a 2017 WRC but only with a smaller turbo restrictor... like that would make any difference to the cornering speed with all the aero, or the huge cost !!

COD
7th May 2018, 00:01
Why would Toyota keep Latvala? They apparently have a great car. So not difficult to lure a good driver. My be is Tanak, Lappi and Breen/ Neuville/ Mikkelsen. Fourth car for Katsuta in near future.

GravelBen
7th May 2018, 00:38
Why would Toyota keep Latvala?

Because he's still one of the fastest, most experienced drivers available? :rolleyes:

If teams ditched drivers every time they have a few tough rallies and a bit of bad luck there would hardly be any drivers left.

spiderem
7th May 2018, 03:05
Because he's still one of the fastest, most experienced drivers available? :rolleyes:

If teams ditched drivers every time they have a few tough rallies and a bit of bad luck there would hardly be any drivers left.

Latvala, 1 podium so far this season, behind both his teammates in the standing. All new Ogier approach at the beginning of the season, didn't work after 3 rallyes, now all in for victory, even worse results... To me it looks like the beginning of the end. If Lappi continues to improve, Tanak will be #1, Lappi #2 next season and i would suspect Latvala to have the opportunity to do 1 more season and that's the end of his career.

GravelBen
7th May 2018, 04:10
Thats a fairly big speculation based on the last 4 rallies, especially considering his car broke on two of them.

RS
7th May 2018, 05:35
It’s not just about the results but Latvala often seems to be the slowest Toyota driver these days.

However I can’t see them wanting anybody else in their third car next year, unless they could persuade Neuville maybe, so I guess he’s safe until if and when one of the Japanese guys is ready.

dnb
7th May 2018, 05:50
Why would Toyota keep Latvala? They apparently have a great car. So not difficult to lure a good driver. My be is Tanak, Lappi and Breen/ Neuville/ Mikkelsen. Fourth car for Katsuta in near future.

Is Latvala going to pick himself up, that's one of the most important questions to be answered. So far we have basically only seen 3 drivers able to deliever a decent result.

GravelBen
7th May 2018, 06:08
Is Latvala going to pick himself up, that's one of the most important questions to be answered.

Yes, we'll have to wait and see. He was confident and very fast early on at Argentina before the car broke which is a good sign.

Don't forget it was only a year or two ago that many people were writing off Neuville as having lost it and being on the way out too and...

Tarmop
7th May 2018, 06:56
Pacenote error broke the car.*

AnttiL
7th May 2018, 07:32
There's a lot of water to flow under the bridge yet this season.

Like I said, totally too early for silly season. The game could change totally with the contracts ending, but we have to look at the two following rallies before the summer break comes and the negotiations probably start. It could put a lot of pressure on some drivers. For counter-example Lappi has shown already he has the speed and is a driver to make offers for, he just needs a bit more experience and practice to shave off the little mistakes.

rp
7th May 2018, 08:16
No way that Toyota´s line up will change for the next year.

Of course Tänak will be 1st driver and Lappi 2nd, but surely J-M will continue. There is no much better drivers and Toyota & Tommi seems to be loyal..

GravelBen
7th May 2018, 08:41
Pacenote error broke the car.*

Yip he made a small mistake, so did Tanak, so did others. Latvala was unlucky that the rock he hit broke the car properly and Tanak was lucky the rock he hit didn't, it could just as easily have been the other way around.

Rallyper
7th May 2018, 08:49
So early into the 2018 season and we´re discussing next years line up?

Come on! This is news and rumours topic. Not crystal ball 2019.

So much to happen before this year ends up.

mknight
7th May 2018, 10:36
The main contracts are typically signed around Finland-time (though published later). Latest example is Tanak. Mikkelsen last year was a bit special case, even so he was still signed in (early) September.

So Portugal and Sardinia will be extremely important.

--------
As others pointed out it's not hard to see who the pressure is on:

Evans
Suninen
Breen
(Citroen team as a manufacturer)
Paddon

(Latvala isn't under pressue imo, being Finish and with the manager he has he will stay at Toyota, unless Japan decides to sign Ogier or Neuville against Tommi's wishes)
(Meeke's future is totally linked to Citroen imo, I don't see anyone signing him since he still has not shown reliability+speed combined. After driving for so long only double win would have any chance of changing that. Well maybe M-Sport might be interested if they can get him cheap and/or Ogier leaves)

Ogier and Neuville don't have to show anything. Ogier came back this year and showed he still has speed. Likewise Neuville showed he can avoid stupid mistakes.

AnttiL
7th May 2018, 10:41
(Latvala isn't under pressue imo, being Finish and with the manager he has he will stay at Toyota, unless Japan decides to sign Ogier or Neuville against Tommi's wishes)
(Meeke's future is totally linked to Citroen imo, I don't see anyone signing him since he still has not shown reliability+speed combined. Maybe M-Sport if they can get him cheap)
In Latvala's case his experience and car development skills are probably valuable to any team, even if he would now have an unlucky season.

And Meeke, he could always just gather sponsors for an M-Sport ride. Or maybe he could be more reliable in a better car?

BigWorm
7th May 2018, 14:57
So early into the 2018 season and we´re discussing next years line up?

Come on! This is news and rumours topic. Not crystal ball 2019.

So much to happen before this year ends up.

I agree with this, but it's interesting since there are practically only a few who has a contract for next year. A lot of drivers are going to need a good season to prove what they can offer and in a season every event counts.

steve.mandzij
7th May 2018, 15:50
In Latvala's case his experience and car development skills are probably valuable to any team, even if he would now have an unlucky season.

And Meeke, he could always just gather sponsors for an M-Sport ride. Or maybe he could be more reliable in a better car?I'd imagine Tommi especially is quite grateful to him for the development and input during 2017. He largely made the car what it is today, and for that reason I doubt they'd let him go.

RS
7th May 2018, 17:06
And Meeke, he could always just gather sponsors for an M-Sport ride. Or maybe he could be more reliable in a better car?

I’m not going to pretend he could become Mr. Consistent but there probably is some truth in the point he is having to overdrive the thing in order to make it perform.

I’d still take him above Evans, Suninen (at the moment), Breen, Ostberg, Paddon, Sordo, maybe even Latvala & Mikelssen.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th May 2018, 18:22

I believe Østberg recently compared the C3 WRC to the Fiesta WRC and said how the C3 was always on a knife-edge and the Fiesta was much easier to drive...

Meeke to M-Sport may be the answer for him.

BigWorm
7th May 2018, 20:29
The DS3 was a reliable car but it didn't really stop Meeke from crashing.

gorganl2000
7th May 2018, 20:41
The C3 seems to have improved a lot the last few months. Though it may still need some further refining, as is the case for each manufacturer striving to reach the top step, i think its a decent car now and in capable hands can challenge for podiums outright or win rallies---no need for over-driving and using that as an excuse for unnecessary crashes.
i don't like to use this reference point, but i will, Loeb seemed to be doing fairly well with it in his recent rallies, and he's been out of action for a long time prior. At this level, i think its very difficult to win stages, be on the podium and win rallies with a supposedly "crap" car when everyone is pushing.

dimviii
9th May 2018, 15:23
Opens&Tightens

@OpensTightens
#WRC #WRC2 News&Updates
So, finally it will be a @MSportLtd's built #FiestaR5 that @MRF_Racing's @Gillracing is driving this season.
Their campaign starts on @Rally_d_Italia and includes 5 gravel events
+ info here https://www.autocarindia.com/motor-sports-news/gaurav-gill-to-drive-ford-fiesta-r5-in-wrc2-408287#utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social …

https://cdni.autocarindia.com/Utils/ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fcdni.autocarindia .com%2fExtraImages%2f20180508024312_MRFx.jpg&h=578&w=872&c=0

KiwiWRCfan
9th May 2018, 19:03
I believe Østberg recently compared the C3 WRC to the Fiesta WRC and said how the C3 was always on a knife-edge and the Fiesta was much easier to drive...

go to 33minutes in this podcast to hear Mads talking classic rallying as well as C3 compared to Fiesta https://totalrallystudio.podbean.com/e/episode-1-season-12-260818/

AnttiL
9th May 2018, 19:06
go to 33minutes in this podcast to hear Mads talking classic rallying as well as C3 compared to Fiesta https://totalrallystudio.podbean.com/e/episode-1-season-12-260818/

you forgot to say that it's you interviewing him :) well done!

spiderem
11th May 2018, 01:03
am i correct that there hasn't been a 1-2 manufacturer finish in 2017 and so far in 2018?!

sollitt
11th May 2018, 01:13
Neuville/Paddon Poland 2017

spiderem
11th May 2018, 15:35
thanks!

skarderud
12th May 2018, 22:24
Skoda wrc return in 2020?

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

ESTR
13th May 2018, 11:21
As far as I know it's only rumours so far. It's known that they expand their place and sign 3 new drivers..

Watson
13th May 2018, 13:26
Neuville/Paddon Poland 2017

With R5s or WRCs?

Mirek
13th May 2018, 13:33
Skoda wrc return in 2020?

Nothing is official but it looks like that.

Sulland
13th May 2018, 13:37
Mirek, you say it probably will be with a new car. I guess the new Fabia is considered to big, and that it will come a new cartype btw CityGo and Fabia. (Same as have been said on new Polo R5)
Since I guess it will not be the new Polar Suv in WRC?

Mirek
13th May 2018, 14:54
No, nothng between Fabia and CitiGo will come. Only the new Fabia will be larger just like the Polo. If the WRC comes it will be Fabia again, just the new one.

Eli
13th May 2018, 18:02
No, nothng between Fabia and CitiGo will come. Only the new Fabia will be larger just like the Polo. If the WRC comes it will be Fabia again, just the new one.

Besides the rumours, anything concrete about SKODA coming back in 2020?

PLuto
13th May 2018, 21:56
Besides the rumours, anything concrete about SKODA coming back in 2020?

Concrete rumours :)

Mirek
14th May 2018, 00:06
I think that at least the real news is that the brand new motorsport facility is already operational (at least I believe it is).

dimviii
14th May 2018, 17:01
Mikkelsen interview at raliforum.net

To fulfill his first season with Hyundai, Andreas Mikkelsen seeks in Portugal to re-enter the road of the title fight. Read below the small but rich interview that the Norwegian gave to the Rally Forum News and know their expectations and opinions.
Rally Forum News - With 5 tests performed as evaluations your time so far?
Andreas Mikkelsen - My season so far has a bit of a challenge, we are championship quarters, which is not a hand, however, we are a little far behind in terms of the score. To be honest I expected a bit more, but I think that in Monte Carlo we had a bit of bad luck having a technical problem. In Sweden it was not bad, we were in third but good was my home rally and hoped to fight for the victory. In Mexico, well in Mexico all of us pilots in Hyundai felt some difficulties but I think my performance was good. In Corsica I had immense difficulty as the behavior of the car on asphalt, very different from what I was used to, so it was a very difficult rally for us. Finally in Argentina I think it was a step in the right direction It started very well and we lead the rally until we have a hole. We struggled to regain time and positions and almost managed to get past Seb. For all this I feel that we are going in the right direction now.

Rally Forum News - First time in Portugal like Hyundai, do you think it will be a disadvantage for you or at this stage already know the car enough to be at the level of your opponents?
Andreas Mikkelsen - Right ... my teammates have been in the car for 5 or 6 years and of course it's not quite the same as being there 6 months ago, but I feel like I'm okay. We did a very good test before we went to Portugal and the car was really very good which made me very comfortable, alias as comfortable as I had not felt for a long time with the car. So I believe that we will be able to fight for the front places and really fight our opponents, especially our direct opponents, and I think this will be the most important in Portugal.

Rally Forum News - Taking into account your starting position and the current scenario of the Championship how will you approach the event? What are your expectations for the final result?
Andreas Mikkelsen - My position on the road is not fantastic, but at least it's better than my opponents for the title. My approach will be to walk as fast as possible, if I want to fight for the title I have to score more points than my opponents, so this means I have to do the best I can, print the strongest pace I can and try to win the rally. As I said if I want to fight for the championship I need points, many points. So walking fast is the approach and winning the rally is my goal.

Rally Forum News - With so many countries waiting to be able to put their rally in the WRC, how do you position Rally Portugal at this moment?
Andreas Mikkelsen - I think the Rally of Portugal is a fantastic rally. It is a rally with immense history, in the time of groups B is simply incredible. I think rallies are a very popular sport in Portugal and so I think it is definitely one of the rallies we should keep on the calendar. The images that are achieved with so many spectators are really spectacular, especially in the whole area of ​​Fafe, I think it gives some beautiful images of our sport, so I think it is a good idea to keep this rally in the championship. It has a fantastic atmosphere, definitely one of my favorite rallies in the championship.

Rali Fórum Noticias - You want to leave a message to Portuguese fans ...
Andreas Mikkelsen - I feel that I have many followers in Portugal, who support me during approving. I've always had good times every time I went running or testing for Portugal. They are very passionate, there are always many people in the special and who show great interest. I look forward to returning to Portugal and trying to be fast, spectacular and the good show rum. I hope that many people will appear, it will be a good show and I hope to see a lot of people in the specials.

http://www.raliforum.net/wrc_wrc.php?not_id=204

jbmarcus21
15th May 2018, 17:26
You can now understand everything on my PLANETEMARCUS website with new service/evolution to translate in ur language entirely content - Scroll menu option include Chinese, English, Finnish, German, Italian, Japenese, Portuguese, Russian, Spannish ► http://bit.ly/1OpYMHk

N.O.T
15th May 2018, 18:03
You can now understand everything on my PLANETEMARCUS website with new service/evolution to translate in ur language entirely content - Scroll menu option include Chinese, English, Finnish, German, Italian, Japenese, Portuguese, Russian, Spannish ► http://bit.ly/1OpYMHk

have you considered changing the name of the website ? its one of the best rally websites out there but the name sucks...

jbmarcus21
15th May 2018, 21:22
have you considered changing the name of the website ? its one of the best rally websites out there but the name sucks...

Many name of website include the word "rally" and finally we do not know any more who is who. planetemarcus is an original idea at the start in 2003 dedicated to Marcus Grönholm driver. Everything was created in this way with the news of the WRC which followed afterward... To change the name now would not be very logical and more things were so far made which will be made in the future ;) ... but we will see ...

N.O.T
15th May 2018, 22:05
Many name of website include the word "rally" and finally we do not know any more who is who. planetemarcus is an original idea at the start in 2003 dedicated to Marcus Grönholm driver. Everything was created in this way with the news of the WRC which followed afterward... To change the name now would not be very logical and more things were so far made which will be made in the future ;) ... but we will see ...

i did not mean to change it to something generic which would include wrc or rally... but planet marcus sounds like a fanboy website rather than a very informative one like yours.

just a suggestion you are paying the bills so you could name it whatever you want.

jbmarcus21
16th May 2018, 07:57
i did not mean to change it to something generic which would include wrc or rally... but planet marcus sounds like a fanboy website rather than a very informative one like yours.

just a suggestion you are paying the bills so you could name it whatever you want.

;)

jbmarcus21
16th May 2018, 09:16
Turkey Rally 2018 include 17 stages : full road program with timetable revealed today ► http://bit.ly/2GnE2BV

Rally Power
16th May 2018, 12:23
According to sportmotores.com (quoting autohebdosport, the spanish leading motor magazine) Rovanpera may replace Latvala at Toyota next year. http://sportmotores.com/portal/!site.go?s=7123069566&p=.20055&id=51628

AnttiL
16th May 2018, 12:28
Very interesting. But I thought Rovanperä had a two year deal with Skoda?

ESTR
16th May 2018, 12:38
According to sportmotores.com (quoting autohebdosport, the spanish leading motor magazine) Rovanpera may replace Latvala at Toyota next year. http://sportmotores.com/portal/!site.go?s=7123069566&p=.20055&id=51628

even Makinen is not that stupid.

N.O.T
16th May 2018, 13:07

lol

Rally Power
16th May 2018, 13:55
Very interesting. But I thought Rovanperä had a two year deal with Skoda?

Deals can always be broken. The news sounds like a silly season start, but it can make some sense: aren’t all WRC teams interested in getting Rovanpera? MSport was, then Skoda, why can’t Toyota be the next one?

PLuto
16th May 2018, 13:58
Deals can always be broken. The news sounds like a silly season start, but it can make some sense: aren’t all WRC teams interested in getting Rovanpera? MSport was, then Skoda, why can’t Toyota be the next one?

I dont think so. Kalle is overhyped, there are drivers with bigger potential (of course, Kalle has really good backing, which is also important).

Essaj
16th May 2018, 14:58
I dont think so. Kalle is overhyped, there are drivers with bigger potential (of course, Kalle has really good backing, which is also important).

Tell me about these drivers with bigger potential? I think Kalle has proven his pace many times but no he is not going to be joining Toyota next year unless they really want to invest for the future.

N.O.T
16th May 2018, 15:07
I think Kalle has proven his pace many times

beating some garbage dogs in latvia is not a proof of pace... he is getting beaten like a dog without an owner in wrc2 so far.

spiderem
16th May 2018, 15:07

I guess it started as a fanboy indeed! Few years later it is one of the most respected website and everybody know Planetmarcus! Well done JB and keep the good work, always great to have your updates.

Tarmop
16th May 2018, 15:11
Tell me about these drivers with bigger potential? I think Kalle has proven his pace many times but no he is not going to be joining Toyota next year unless they really want to invest for the future.

There are drivers with bigger potential, only they can`t afford to be on this level. Even more drivers, who can go flatout and through miracles finish ahead of the rest, only to crash on the other one. It`s about experience. Toyota has those two Japanese, one of whom WON Sweden in front of factory- Škoda driven by a local guy, reigning champion. Although they also lack experience...and like history has showed us, when one has finally mastered WRC2, he could still be hopeless in WRC.
Firstly i would go for Tidemand, if anyone from WRC2.

Essaj
16th May 2018, 15:53
There are drivers with bigger potential, only they can`t afford to be on this level. Even more drivers, who can go flatout and through miracles finish ahead of the rest, only to crash on the other one. It`s about experience. Toyota has those two Japanese, one of whom WON Sweden in front of factory- Škoda driven by a local guy, reigning champion. Although they also lack experience...and like history has showed us, when one has finally mastered WRC2, he could still be hopeless in WRC.

-...- Of course there is If'ss and but's, heck who knows maybe I would be next Loeb if I had started rallying.
I asked about who Pluto consideres to have "bigger potential" than Kalle preferably from the drivers who actually drive in some level of rallying and not just one who was quick age 7 on a co-kart but couldn't compete because they ran out of money.
and for you Tarmop Katsuta aint currently one, he drove perfectly in Sweden but his speed hasn't been there in any other snow rally before that, maybe a fact that he was using Pirelli's instead of Michelins might have had something to do with it?

denkimi
16th May 2018, 15:53
Lol.

Having a famous daddy with all the contacts and unlimited money helps only up to a certain point. To get the factory teams interested, he will have to show a lot more than he has so far.

If he turns out to be impressive the next few years, he might get an occasional wrc drive and after that perhaps even a full contract. But thats not going to happen anyday soon.

Essaj
16th May 2018, 16:01
Lol.

Having a famous daddy with all the contacts and unlimited money helps only up to a certain point. To get the factory teams interested, he will have to show a lot more than he has so far.

If he turns out to be impressive the next few years, he might get an occasional wrc drive and after that perhaps even a full contract. But thats not going to happen anyday soon.

Skoda is a factory team, he also drove tests for Toyota in 2016. But yeah rich daddy and his deep pockets :D

pantealex
16th May 2018, 17:05
It is true that Rovanperä is "open card", no one knows final outcome.

But it´s also fact that he is fast, is there rally (outside his Italy tarmac rallies) where he hasn´t setted fastest SS times ? (in R5 class, not overall)

Latvala also had huge potential and started in WRC 17y old and is very fast, but probably never World Champion.

Kalle has only driven 0,5 years in WRC, so we have to wait. I think he will drive R5 next year and WRC2020, but possible private one.

ESTR
16th May 2018, 17:07
beating some garbage dogs in latvia is not a proof of pace... he is getting beaten like a dog without an owner in wrc2 so far.

True. That win in Australia doesn't count at all. How can you win if you don't have opponents. And nearly lost it that too. He is too young to get full drive and trust from that big team. This could only makes sense if Wilson hire him. Hyundai clearly didn't see his big potential..

Mirek
16th May 2018, 17:12

Sorry but You named one guy who is more than 10 years older than Rovanperä, another who is 8 years older than Rovanperä and who keeps crashing or being badly beaten virtually everywhere except one event and some unnamed miracle drivers. Don't You have something more convincing?

Tarmop
16th May 2018, 17:14
Like it was said, what impressive has Rovanperä showed so far...i mean something that should put him in the WRC, especially to replace quite a solid points-scorer.
He is young, he will learn, maybe he is another miracle, lets see how that Argentina crash affected him first...

N.O.T
16th May 2018, 17:15
Sorry but You named one guy who is more than 10 years older than Rovanperä, another who is 8 years older than Rovanperä and who keeps crashing or being badly beaten virtually everywhere except one event and some unnamed miracle drivers. Don't You have something more convincing?

well you cannot find anyone at the age of rovanpera with his budget and promotion... for example Ogier Gronholm and Loeb came in the sport later than the age of that asian kid and we see the results.... the fact that none other 17 year old is well known because of youtube videos does not mean they are non existent.

Mirek
16th May 2018, 17:16
Like it was said, what impressive has Rovanperä showed so far...i mean something that should put him in the WRC, especially to replace quite a solid points-scorer.
He is young, he will learn, maybe he is another miracle, lets see how that Argentina crash affected him first...

No, You said this:

There are drivers with bigger potential, only they can`t afford to be on this level. Even more drivers, who can go flatout and through miracles finish ahead of the rest, only to crash on the other one. It`s about experience.

What have these unnamed drivers shown? What makes them having more potential than Rovanperä? Sorry but You contradict Yourself.

N.O.T
16th May 2018, 17:18
No, You said this:
What have these unnamed drivers shown? What makes them having more potential than Rovanperä? Sorry but You contradict Yourself.

where was Ogier when Latvalas daddy was pumping money on him to do events around the world when he was 17 ??? did you know of Ogier when he was 17 ? Of Loeb ? Of Grohnolm ?

Tarmop
16th May 2018, 17:19
You can find those unnamed drivers from your homeland for instance. I`m comparing his results compared to others in national events. He has been beaten fair and square by hobby-drivers in equal machinery, atleast one has been an Academy driver, almost won the title and then didn`t find the resources.

dimviii
16th May 2018, 17:38
for sure Rovanpera has potential.
But at current phase he has a long road yet to wrc
Asphalt pace has to improove a lot.
I want to see him to be fast and win and in other rallies,except Finland like gravel/stages.
Argentina was his first ''real'' outing for me and his pace was good,even Tidemand wasnt at full attack due to team orders as he said.

Essaj
16th May 2018, 17:44
for sure Rovanpera has potential.
But at current phase he has a long road yet to wrc
Asphalt pace has to improove a lot.
I want to see him to be fast and win and in other rallies,except Finland like gravel/stages.
Argentina was his first ''real'' outing for me and his pace was good,even Tidemand wasnt at full attack due to team orders as he said.

He is infact doing a tarmac event in less than 2 weeks, he did so aswell last year with a piece of shit car also know as Peugeot 206 R5 in Italy.
And Tidemand's words him saying he wasn't in "full attack" - Do you really believe him? To me it sounded like a bad excuse.

dimviii
16th May 2018, 17:55
He is infact doing a tarmac event in less than 2 weeks, he did so aswell last year with a piece of shit car also know as Peugeot 206 R5 in Italy.
this shit car was the champion car at Italy.From same team too.

And Tidemand's words him saying he wasn't in "full attack" - Do you really believe him? To me it sounded like a bad excuse.
to me it didnt sounded like a bad excuse.
Tidemand said that officially at day 2 last stage.
At 3rd day they started with the gap at 23,2 sec for Rovanpera.After 1st stage Tidemand took 13,3 sec at 16,4 km ,and the gap went to 9,9 sec with 2 more stages and 39 stage km to the end.
At next stage Rovanpera crashed...

Mirek
16th May 2018, 18:18
You can find those unnamed drivers from your homeland for instance. I`m comparing his results compared to others in national events. He has been beaten fair and square by hobby-drivers in equal machinery, atleast one has been an Academy driver, almost won the title and then didn`t find the resources.

So they have shown nothing close to Rovanperä.

Sorry but this talking about someone somewhere having more potential is bollocks. Simply the guys come and show something like Rovanperä did (I have never claimed he is the best driver around) or there is no point talking that someone like that exists somewhere. For sure there is a few guys around who can be superfast and they will never get the chance to prove that. Hell I'm sure there is a guy on this earth who could be faster than Loeb and Ogier combined but maybe he doesn't even have a driving licence. So what? How is that even a topic? It's very clear that 99% of those guys will never make it anywhere.

Essaj
16th May 2018, 18:22
this shit car was the champion car at Italy.From same team too.

Well Andreucci is one of the only drivers to make T16 to work for them. Many others have struggled and been no where with it.

Tidemand said that officially at day 2 last stage.
At 3rd day they started with the gap at 23,2 sec for Rovanpera.After 1st stage Tidemand took 13,3 sec at 16,4 km ,and the gap went to 9,9 sec with 2 more stages and 39 stage km to the end.
At next stage Rovanpera crashed...

You can believe what you want but Argentina is now 3rd rally Kalle and Pontus have driven against each other.
In the first one, Kalle was debuting with R5 and only Kalle's puncture saved Pontus there. in Mexico Kalle was unlucky at the start with the rock in the compression but they were driving equal pace for the rest of the rally, okay propably both with a safe pace.
Argentina you can make what you want but IMO they were both pushing but Kalle's mistake ruined the fight but like lets say Latvala wouldnt have done, he admitted that it was purely his own mistake (which to me is a good sign)

Pontus is in stage of his career in which he needs to prove his dominance in WRC2 to have a any change to step up to WRC. Losing to Katsuta in Sweden (Pirelli vs Michelin, I know) and struggling against unexperienced 17yo teammate aint what he needs and quickly drops him out of the possible WRC seat.

Currently it seems that if Skoda gives a change for Kopecky to take the title he is the #1 contender for it.

Mirek
16th May 2018, 18:30
Currently it seems that if Skoda gives a change for Kopecky to take the title he is the #1 contender for it.

This is all in the hands of the team. If they send Tidemand to all asphalt events against Kopecký he may not win the title but if they send him to distant gravel events he will win the title easily and Kopecký could not do anything about it. In fact in most of the scenarios Tidemand has better chances even if they give Kopecký enough events. He is not in such a situation like in 2015 when he would likely win the title easily if he was given the chance.

Tarmop
16th May 2018, 18:38
So they have shown nothing close to Rovanperä.

Sorry but this talking about someone somewhere having more potential is bollocks. Simply the guys come and show something like Rovanperä did (I have never claimed he is the best driver around) or there is no point talking that someone like that exists somewhere. For sure there is a few guys around who can be superfast and they will never get the chance to prove that. Hell I'm sure there is a guy on this earth who could be faster than Loeb and Ogier combined but maybe he doesn't even have a driving licence. So what? How is that even a topic? It's very clear that 99% of those guys will never make it anywhere.

But that is the exact thing you are doing. The best available equipment in every class, behind the wheel since could walk, some RB commercials and we have something the world hasn`t seen, miracle...dare to claim otherwise. Yes, i do give him that he has some good results in lower levels, great pace, not always realized until the end With big money you can do everything, again many examples and unnamed drivers...hopefully easy for everyone to name them...Especially painful topic in top level rallying.

All in all, the point is, that after a few WRC2 starts people already want to replace Latvala with him, in a team, with a mission to get the manu. title.

dimviii
16th May 2018, 18:38
Well Andreucci is one of the only drivers to make T16 to work for them. Many others have struggled and been no where with it.
he was at SAME team that have made this shit car worked.
Andreucci wasnt the only one faster from Rovanpera.Plenty Itallians too.At gravel too.

You can believe what you want .
of course you can believe that Rovanperas crash hasnt to do that at stage 1 Tidemand took 13 sec from 23 he had builded at 2 days,and was just an unlucky moment.

Mirek
16th May 2018, 18:50
All in all, the point is, that after a few WRC2 starts people already want to replace Latvala with him, in a team, with a mission to get the manu. title.

You want to replace him with someone about whom nobody ever heard. How is that a better idea? Of course Rovanperä is not yet ready for WRC car but talking about some unnamed guys from the street having better potential than him is laughable. Those guys from the street have way more to prove than Rovanperä.

PLuto
16th May 2018, 18:55
Skoda is a factory team, he also drove tests for Toyota in 2016. But yeah rich daddy and his deep pockets :D

Kalle is in Skoda mainly because of money...

PLuto
16th May 2018, 18:58

His performance in Italy last year was not so much impressive. Despite the car is not so bad there and still competitive (not only in hands of Andreucci).

Essaj
16th May 2018, 18:58
he was at SAME team that have made this shit car worked.
Andreucci wasnt the only one faster from Rovanpera.Plenty Itallians too.At gravel too.
of course you can believe that Rovanperas crash hasnt to do that at stage 1 Tidemand took 13 sec from 23 he had builded at 2 days,and was just an unlucky moment.

No I ment that Andreucci is one of the only drivers who shows pace with T16, only other I know with a win with is Loeb, who would have guessed.
And on gravel Kalle was up there but struggled alot with the car, like Ucci does in gravel but still he would have taken 2nd place in San Marino if his Peugeot would have lasted the final liason before the finish line.
Could we maybe wait and see how he does in Germany with Skoda until we talk more about his tarmac pace.

And back to Argentina it's pretty clear that it was recce mistake in Kalle's crash. Kalle and EP both have rather similiar notes and Kalle's note to that right hander is a step "faster" than EP's.
Pontus was actually leading the rally until stage 11 so yeah.

Essaj
16th May 2018, 18:59

Yeah you are partly true, he gets paid from Skoda to drive there :D In M-Sport he would have needed to pay some himself.

Mirek
16th May 2018, 19:05
His performance in Italy last year was not so much impressive. Despite the car is not so bad there and still competitive (not only in hands of Andreucci).

What have You expected? He was 16 years old with zero Italian experience. Only a fool would expect him to challenge Andreucci. Shall I remind that Kopecký also did a season in Italy and didn't achieve much more despite having way more experience in that time?

Tarmop
16th May 2018, 20:00
You want to replace him with someone about whom nobody ever heard. How is that a better idea? Of course Rovanperä is not yet ready for WRC car but talking about some unnamed guys from the street having better potential than him is laughable. Those guys from the street have way more to prove than Rovanperä.

Where did i mention that? This and an implication that he is too overhyped (those so called nobodys, who beated him, build their own cars and go to work M-F 8-17 are still someone), hasn`t actually achieved anything in the international level yet, apart from getting into it, which yes, is good.

Essaj
16th May 2018, 20:15
This is all in the hands of the team. If they send Tidemand to all asphalt events against Kopecký he may not win the title but if they send him to distant gravel events he will win the title easily and Kopecký could not do anything about it. In fact in most of the scenarios Tidemand has better chances even if they give Kopecký enough events. He is not in such a situation like in 2015 when he would likely win the title easily if he was given the chance.

I would think that Kopecky could drive something like Sardinia, Germany, Spain, Turkey and maybe Australia. Kalle is most likely going to drive Finland, Spain, Wales and maybe Germany and ofc Australia is possible but unlikely since 2 bad starts point wise already. Then Veiby and Nordgren will drive whatever, Who knows if Suninen might do a WRC2 round, we have hungry Huttunen who wants to prove his pace. Maybe Citroen starts to work and challenge for the wins, the VW is coming and with who?
That dosen't leave too many rallies for Tidemand to cruise for easy wins so lets see, it's for sure going to be interesting.

jbmarcus21
16th May 2018, 20:54
I guess it started as a fanboy indeed! Few years later it is one of the most respected website and everybody know Planetmarcus! Well done JB and keep the good work, always great to have your updates.

Many thanks for theses kinds words ! Cheers ;)

Mirek
16th May 2018, 21:16
Where did i mention that? This and an implication that he is too overhyped (those so called nobodys, who beated him, build their own cars and go to work M-F 8-17 are still someone), hasn`t actually achieved anything in the international level yet, apart from getting into it, which yes, is good.

Here:

There are drivers with bigger potential, only they can`t afford to be on this level.

denkimi
16th May 2018, 22:41
he is there because of his father. if it was only about the money they could hire lots of people.

look, the easy part is getting where rovanpera is now. everyone with enough money and some talent can drive wrc2 and even do well.
now comes the part where he has to prove that he win wrc2 on every surface. not even just win, he has to dominate to get a factory seat in wrc.

most drivers only start their career when they are 18 or older, and have to find everything out them self. they are usually at least 5 to 10 years older and have driven 3 to 5 seasons locally before anyone here has ever heard of them.
so yes, there are probably some people that we have never heard off, but who can break through very quickly.
ogier did only one international season before switching to wrc, neuville did two.

kalle is only where he is now because of his father. if every young driver was given the same resources some would surely be faster.
but sadly, of course that will never be the case.
that's why one marque cups are the best way to find real talent, because you can really compare drivers and tell who's talented and who's there because of his rich father.

Mirek
16th May 2018, 23:17
he is there because of his father. if it was only about the money they could hire lots of people.

look, the easy part is getting where rovanpera is now. everyone with enough money and some talent can drive wrc2 and even do well.
now comes the part where he has to prove that he win wrc2 on every surface. not even just win, he has to dominate to get a factory seat in wrc.

most drivers only start their career when they are 18 or older, and have to find everything out them self. they are usually at least 5 to 10 years older and have driven 3 to 5 seasons locally before anyone here has ever heard of them.
so yes, there are probably some people that we have never heard off, but who can break through very quickly.
ogier did only one international season before switching to wrc, neuville did two.

kalle is only where he is now because of his father. if every young driver was given the same resources some would surely be faster.
that's why one marque cups are the best way to find real talent, because you can really compare drivers and tell who's talented and who's there because of his rich father.

That doesn't change a thing on what I wrote. Any of those nameless superetalented guys must first prove themselves. The very simple fact that those nameless guys people keep talking about are still nameless means that they haven't proved anything. Rovanperä already achieved enough to get a place in a works team - even only for an R5 car. That's not a small achievement. His father helped him, yes, and so what?

Essaj
17th May 2018, 00:07

Holy crap there is dumb people on this forum.
Kalle is with Skoda because they hired him after they have seen his potential, not because his name is Rovanperä or because "they have a lot of money".

Tell me a rally driver who has not spend any money to become a rally driver? Kalle started with Starlet - logical and cheap just like you should do it at the beginning.
Kalle has had a lot sponsors since Starlet days for example see the big IKH logo still on the side of the car and that's been there since day 1.
He then changed to R2, drove 3 seasons in Latvia, won with that = More interest + more sponsors + Jouhki.
What to do after success with a FWD? Correct! Go 4WD and that's what they did and also won with that. I don't see anything wrong with how Kalle got into scene, he worked his way up there just like every rally driver has to and will do at some point in their career.

Easy part is to get where he is? Get a factory drive in a WRC2! are you out of your mind? Why people praise Tidemand who is 27 also started under aged, who has driven many WRC2 seasons, won the championship and is backed by a multi millionaire Erik Veiby but he is still struggling to beat this 17yo kid who got into Skoda by just his deep pockets and a surname?

Tell me a rookie driver who has done aswell as Kalle has done in these 3 WRC rounds this year in which all 3 were completely new for him?

IMO Kalle is the biggest talent currently in rallying scene and if you don't agree and want to say something regarding this, please do so and add some names, thanks.

PLuto
17th May 2018, 00:50
Yeah you are partly true, he gets paid from Skoda to drive there :D In M-Sport he would have needed to pay some himself.

Sorry, you are out of reality...

PLuto
17th May 2018, 00:52
-...- Of course there is If'ss and but's, heck who knows maybe I would be next Loeb if I had started rallying.
I asked about who Pluto consideres to have "bigger potential" than Kalle preferably from the drivers who actually drive in some level of rallying and not just one who was quick age 7 on a co-kart but couldn't compete because they ran out of money.
and for you Tarmop Katsuta aint currently one, he drove perfectly in Sweden but his speed hasn't been there in any other snow rally before that, maybe a fact that he was using Pirelli's instead of Michelins might have had something to do with it?

If you really want to hear at least one name, so for example I think Juuso Nordgren has bigger potential... And I am not alone with this opinion ;)

Essaj
17th May 2018, 01:31
Sorry, you are out of reality...

Please go back to ERC section and stay there. I just keep ignoring your comments from now on, even N.O.T makes more sense.

racerx1979
17th May 2018, 06:16
Cmon Denkimi...

It's okay to be bitter and angry... just don't weigh it in on others. Best to keep your feelings to yourself.

Anyone in the top of WRC has worked their asses off to be there. Some people (like Loeb) most likely have some natural talent that makes them excel at the sport, but he worked for it just like anyone else. Max Vatanen is Ari's son. He's not winning any titles or competing at the top is he? His father was a bad a$$ mutha fugga in rallying. I even know Ari personally. He himself has told me Kalle is a quick son of a gun.. literally. His father was quick too.

I would seriously think long and hard. If you're the type to see someone wealthy and then think to yourself "i bet he has a rich dad, or I bet he was lucky" then you might be outta luck buddy... or maybe you're just sh!t posting and well.. you're still out of luck.

dupanton
17th May 2018, 07:10
With enough money and training/rallies everybody can get to a certain level. But those last 1 or 2 percentages are the most difficult to find.
For sure Rovanpera has talent, no doubt about it. But people are blinded by his age, which means nothing. It's experience that counts.
We have seen a lot of young guys in the past, storming trough cups, JWRC and even wrc2 but never got to a decent WRC level.
So, he has to prove in the next year(s) he has what it takes to get to WRC level.
I'm not saying he is not going to make it, but imo it's still too early to tell

N.O.T
17th May 2018, 09:01
Please go back to ERC section and stay there. I just keep ignoring your comments from now on, even N.O.T makes more sense.

you have any idea who pluto is and what he does you sick dog of nothing ????? or you just open your mouth randomly ???

Hartusvuori
17th May 2018, 09:42
Max Vatanen is Ari's son. He's not winning any titles or competing at the top is he? His father was a bad a$$ mutha fugga in rallying. I even know Ari personally. He himself has told me Kalle is a quick son of a gun.. literally. His father was quick too.

I doubt Ari used those words. More likely something along the lines of "Kalle definitely hit the keynotes in the melody of rallying" :-)

Rallyper
17th May 2018, 09:50
I doubt Ari used those words. More likely something along the lines of "Kalle definitely hit the keynotes in the melody of rallying" :-)

A man of humble words out of what I´ve seen of him. Yes.

racerx1979
17th May 2018, 10:08

Wow, you nailed it! That is actually exactly what he said.