View Full Version : [WRC] News & Rumours 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Fast Eddie WRC
25th January 2018, 16:35
Class of 2018
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUZn244WsAAxdxO.jpg

Simmi
28th January 2018, 12:33
What could Petter's news be then? Got the rally bug again after testing that Polo?

https://twitter.com/Petter_Solberg/status/957596022485737472

N.O.T
28th January 2018, 13:00
What could Petter's news be then? Got the rally bug again after testing that Polo?

https://twitter.com/Petter_Solberg/status/957596022485737472

it would be nice to see him rally in an event where Loeb will do...

the battle of the has been granddaddys

ESTR
28th January 2018, 14:20
They could do historic rallies, they are historic also, so fitting them there woyluld be perfect

EstWRC
29th January 2018, 16:49
Hyundai must avoid 'panic' after tough Monte Carlo 2018 WRC opener

Hyundai team principal Michel Nandan says his team cannot afford to panic after a problematic 2018 World Rally Championship-opening Monte Carlo Rally.

Thierry Neuville was the highest placed Hyundai finisher in fifth place, but the title hopeful's rally was compromised when he slid into a ditch on the first stage and lost four minutes.

Team-mate Andreas Mikkelsen went off on Friday and damaged the alternator on his i20 WRC, while Dani Sordo was running third before crashing into a ditch on the first Saturday stage.

It left the team last in the manufacturers' championship after the opening round with just Neuville's 14 points to its name.

"If you panic after round one then it's a bit game over," team principal Michel Nandan told Autosport.

"OK, the fact is like that: it's a bad result. But let's look forward and think already about the next event.

"In Sweden, normally the car is quite competitive and Sweden is a rally where Thierry, Andreas and Hayden [Paddon] perform well.

"We could say the same about here. Maybe Sweden is not so tricky, we know a bit more the conditions.

"Maybe it would be better for the championship to start in Sweden next year!"

Neuville won more Monte stages (five) than any other driver on his recovery charge, which included overhauling M-Sport driver Elfyn Evans and Toyota's Esapekka Lappi on the final stage.

Nandan said the speed shown by the drivers, with Neuville and Mikkelsen banking powerstage points, was small consolation.

"It's disappointing and frustrating," he said.

"Technically, we had no issues. The car was OK and it was performing well, the problems we had were related to the rally conditions."

Mikkelsen returned under Rally2 regulations on Saturday, but Sordo (above) was not permitted a restart due to specific rules for the opening round that stipulate no competitor retiring on Saturday can resume on the final day.

Asked about Mikkelsen's alternator failure, Nandan said: "He went off on the stage and we saw from the data there was some dirt or gravel which went on the belt and cut it.

"The belt then jumped off and became wrapped around the alternator.

"Normally it's OK to change the belt, but it was not possible in such a short time."

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134116/hyundai-must-avoid-panic-after-tough-opener

this is like reading copy-paste from last years statements

SubaruNorway
29th January 2018, 17:42
Are they talking about Mikkelsen's little overshoot at 4:45 i SS3 or did i miss something?
If that made gravel get onto the belt it's a bit weird even if they run less protection than on gravel rallies...

Lead
29th January 2018, 18:14
That Mikkelsen's little off made alternator belt cut? That doesnt sound seriuos. If so, then thats one more part where they need to work on. The Hyundai car is sooo fragile then... Last season there was that right hand corner in Spain rally, where both Sordo and Mikkelsen took their wheel off, but everyone else was going through fine.

mknight
29th January 2018, 18:30
This is the "off" marked using epic paint skills with red arrows.

The first part (straight) is gravel road, the part up the hill looked like smooth tarmac. Street view of the place is here but the picture is from 2009:

https://www.google.no/maps/@44.4543609,5.902672,3a,75y,320.39h,63.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swacbqL1zMVw_We5xsL9EdA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

So while "off" stage it's pretty on a road all the time.

I get that they can get from data that it happened here, but if it did then:
a) it was extremely unlucky
or
b) there is some rather bad design involved

steve.mandzij
29th January 2018, 18:37
This is the "off" marked using epic paint skills with red arrows.

The first part (straight) is broken up tarmac/gravel patches, the part up the hill looked like smooth tarmac. Street view of the place is here but the picture is from 2009:

https://www.google.no/maps/@44.4543609,5.902672,3a,75y,320.39h,63.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swacbqL1zMVw_We5xsL9EdA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

So while "off" stage it's pretty on the road all the time.

I get that they can get from data that it happened here, but if it did then:
a) it was extremely unlucky
or
b) there is some rather bad design involvedI'd place my bets on the deep gravel cuts cutting the belt over the off road excursion into somebody's paved yard.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mknight
29th January 2018, 18:51
I'd place my bets on the deep gravel cuts cutting the belt over the off road excursion into somebody's paved yard.

Hyundai says it was due to the "off", Hyundai has the data logs. (Doesn't mean they are telling the truth off course)

ESTR
29th January 2018, 20:09
I have a feeling that there is more and more pressure at the team. TThat will lead to even worst results I think...

bomber21
29th January 2018, 21:59
I have a feeling that there is more and more pressure at the team. That will lead to even worst results I think...
Now it is Mikkelsen time to prove things. It is now or never...
Neuville is fragile for another event and probably for another year and Sordo/Paddon getting worse year by year.

GravelBen
29th January 2018, 23:24
Now it is Mikkelsen time to prove things. It is now or never...
Neuville is fragile for another event and probably for another year and Sordo/Paddon getting worse year by year.

:talk:

Are you the class clown? What a load of rubbish!

bomber21
30th January 2018, 07:34
:talk:

Are you the class clown? What a load of rubbish!
Someone should talk to you about respect to the different opinion.

N.O.T
30th January 2018, 10:46
Someone should talk to you about respect to the different opinion.

why should we respect idiotic opinions ? although you are not completely wrong....

bomber21
30th January 2018, 11:30
why should we respect idiotic opinions ? although you are not completely wrong....

Because I am right! :p

Andre Oliveira
1st February 2018, 19:07
Crazy rumour about 5 rallies in Yaris WRC to Nasser.

Tarmop
1st February 2018, 19:26
Well, he already uses TGR services in Dakar (yes, different, but both represent the factory), has the money. Why not.

er88
1st February 2018, 19:46
The more new generation WRC cars that are on the stages, the better! And Nasser is a level or two above Sheikh Khalid and Bertelli etc....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

the sniper
1st February 2018, 20:41
Crazy rumour about 5 rallies in Yaris WRC to Nasser.

Really doesn't sound crazy to me. Entirely possible once Tommi said they'd be up for it sometime in 2018. Given that Nasser thought funding a VW team was doable, surely funding a Toyota for a few rallies would be a lot more easier/realistic.

racerx1979
2nd February 2018, 05:19
Rumor has it hanninen might be brought in as a 4th driver as well depending on standings

Nasser is capable of doing decent. Would be awesome do see Gronholm in a yota.

Lousada
2nd February 2018, 06:33
Rumor has it hanninen might be brought in as a 4th driver as well depending on standings

How would that work? The fourth driver can't take manu points away from Ford or Hyundai and Hanninen won't finish ahead of Ogier or Neuville in any rally.

electroliquid
2nd February 2018, 07:49
How would that work? The fourth driver can't take manu points away from Ford or Hyundai and Hanninen won't finish ahead of Ogier or Neuville in any rally.

In Finland it happened, so it could happen again; although it increase chances to take points away if rally2 happens Ogier or Neuville, or anybody else...

denkimi
2nd February 2018, 08:25
More drivers are in no way a disantvantage, so if they have the budget, why not?

Simmi
2nd February 2018, 10:05
I'd love to see Hanninen in the car again. But as a fourth driver he wouldn't be nominated for points in Finland. And with only two guys able to score manufacturer points anyway he would literally be invisible on the leaderboard. He's not helping anyone - except Toyota PR.

But Toyota have budget and it would be a nice reward for Juho's testing duties to run a car on home ground where it is logistically very easy.

AnttiL
2nd February 2018, 10:07
It's another thing whether the team has resources for running four cars at once. It takes more than a fourth car, all the service stuff and some of the staff must be multiplied.

Tarmop
2nd February 2018, 10:11
Who knows, something Citroen/PHSport like could happen. There have been talks about MM- Motorsport starting to operate a Toyota B-team.

rallyfiend
2nd February 2018, 11:05
More drivers are in no way a disantvantage, so if they have the budget, why not?

They're not an advantage, either.

As pointed out above, extra cars don't take away points from registered manufacturer points-scoring cars

denkimi
2nd February 2018, 11:16
They're not an advantage, either.

As pointed out above, extra cars don't take away points from registered manufacturer points-scoring cars
There's another championship besides the manufacturers you know. It may be less important to toyota, but not unimportant.

PLuto
2nd February 2018, 12:29
In Finland it happened, so it could happen again; although it increase chances to take points away if rally2 happens Ogier or Neuville, or anybody else...

No, it doesnt work. Only three drivers can be available to score points. Fourth car can take points only in drivers championship, not teams championship.

Tarmop
2nd February 2018, 12:32
Well, they all are aiming for WDC also, so electroliquid has a valid point. Like denkimi said.

AnttiL
2nd February 2018, 12:36
No, it doesnt work.

I think what electroliquid meant was that Hänninen finished ahead of Neuville in Finland, meaning Neuville got less drivers' points. We can only speculate how fast Ogier would have been though.

Andre Oliveira
2nd February 2018, 13:28
No. A non scorer driver can’t take points of a scorer.

Watson
2nd February 2018, 13:29
No. A non scorer driver can’t take points of a scorer.
In the driver's championship they can.

Andre Oliveira
2nd February 2018, 14:00
Yes. Sorry. My bad.

electroliquid
2nd February 2018, 16:43
I think what electroliquid meant was that Hänninen finished ahead of Neuville in Finland, meaning Neuville got less drivers' points. We can only speculate how fast Ogier would have been though.

I meant exactly that; it only would work on drivers championship. On teams standings it only could be done by switch Hänninen to 3rd car, but, lets face it, he is slower than anybody from Toyota's current trio.

Eli
2nd February 2018, 17:36
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134195/solberg-chasing-wrc-return-after-vw-test
Has anyone seen this?

rallyfiend
2nd February 2018, 17:47
Between him, Loeb, Block etc it seems that WRX isn't quite the scratch to the itch that everyone thought...

er88
2nd February 2018, 23:33
Bringing Juho in for Finland, Germany and Spain is worth it if they can expand their team, and if one of their drivers like Jari or Tanak can genuinely win the championship. Juho proved he can fight at the front in 2 of those events last season, and did ok in Germany too. So there's a chance that he could block Neuville or Ogier, and prevent them scoring more drivers points by finishing ahead of them in the rally.

Myrvold
3rd February 2018, 00:06
Between him, Loeb, Block etc it seems that WRX isn't quite the scratch to the itch that everyone thought...

Petter have always said that rallying is something special, and that he sees himself as a rally driver.

Watson
3rd February 2018, 03:49
Bringing Juho in for Finland, Germany and Spain is worth it if they can expand their team, and if one of their drivers like Jari or Tanak can genuinely win the championship. Juho proved he can fight at the front in 2 of those events last season, and did ok in Germany too. So there's a chance that he could block Neuville or Ogier, and prevent them scoring more drivers points by finishing ahead of them in the rally.

Well, yes but it would be awfully expensive unless Juho pays for the drive.

Tarmop
3rd February 2018, 08:44
They are probably the team with the biggest amount of money, their base is in Finland, Juho is their official test driver. I can see several reasons to let him drive apart from beating competitors.

EstWRC
4th February 2018, 10:25
Volkswagen plans to demonstrate 2017 World Rally Car in full livery

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134214/vw-will-demonstrate-abandoned-2017-wrc-car

AnttiL
4th February 2018, 10:38
They are probably the team with the biggest amount of money, their base is in Finland, Juho is their official test driver. I can see several reasons to let him drive apart from beating competitors.

I just can't see that happening. Only if one of the three main drivers gets injured or something, or pulls out a Meeke streak.

Tarmop
4th February 2018, 10:48
At home, why not? Depends on several factors ofc, most importantly, how to sell that idea to the Japanese.

the sniper
4th February 2018, 16:26
Volkswagen plans to demonstrate 2017 World Rally Car in full livery

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134214/vw-will-demonstrate-abandoned-2017-wrc-car

Here's hoping they take it for a run up the hill at the Goodwood FoS!

Andre Oliveira
4th February 2018, 17:35
Rumours getting stronger and stronger about Nasser Al-Attiyah allready on Mexico in Yaris WRC.

AnttiL
4th February 2018, 20:31
At home, why not? Depends on several factors ofc, most importantly, how to sell that idea to the Japanese.

If Hänninen doesn't get any rallying action before Rally Finland he will most likely be rusty and not on the pace. We saw in 2017 it took half a season for him to found his pace and consistency. Also, he would need a new co-driver.

Tarmop
4th February 2018, 20:42
He hadn`t been competing for a long time+ was ill with longlasting side effects. But yes, one can say these are the reasons not to compete. On the plus side, it would be his home event and he did it in 2017, quite well also.

Bartolbia84
4th February 2018, 21:31
Rumours getting stronger and stronger about Nasser Al-Attiyah allready on Mexico in Yaris WRC.

5 events...

AnttiL
5th February 2018, 06:33
https://www.is.fi/ralli/art-2000005551635.html

Rally Finland Clerk of the Course Kai Tarkiainen talking about shortening the rallies. He wants to keep the endurance element. Also, if rallies are shortened, he would prefer driving from Thursday to Saturday over Friday to Sunday. Also, he says Tour de Corse is the rally that is most keen on arranging a shorter rally already next year.

There's also talk about the Rally Finland route which is published near the end of February or begin of March. Less chicanes than last year, some new roads.

Watson
5th February 2018, 09:24
TdC already only has 10 stages. There's awfully little to take away.

Franky
5th February 2018, 09:45

3 is enough!

Tarmop
5th February 2018, 10:25
TDC is already one of the most pointless events in the calendar, in (a distant) spectators point of view. They already have RMC, based in France...would prefer to see another event or a more normal version of TDC.

AnttiL
5th February 2018, 10:28

12 this year. Maybe they would like to have the same length event but on a tighter schedule, so we could have more of the marathon stages in one day?

A FONDO
5th February 2018, 10:36
Just make one 100km stage ran once in the morning and once in the afternoon. :D Nature of the local roads should allow it though, don't know if their tyres would last.

Zeakiwi
5th February 2018, 11:02
Change the tyres mid-stage? at a mid-stasge service point?

mousti
5th February 2018, 11:15
Not only tyres, but the brakes aswell..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

AnttiL
5th February 2018, 12:05
The last stage of Tour de Corse 1986 was Liamone - Suaricchio, 83 kms, probably containing parts of this year's SS9 and last year's SS1. Winning stage time one hour seven minutes.

dimviii
5th February 2018, 15:20
Becs Williams
Becs Williams Retweeted Fredrik Gustavsson
This is for all events after a regulation change for 2018 "Tyres used during the shakedown will not count in the overall quantity for the rally. For WRC Cars, the four tyres used during the shakedown must be from the same compound, as defined by the tyre suppliers"

AnttiL
5th February 2018, 20:39
https://www.is.fi/ralli/art-2000005553293.html

This article suggests Nasser would start in either Mexico or Portugal, and drive also Sardegna, Deutschland, Wales and Catalunya. The source is not probably the most credible but looking at Nasser's past starts, this list looks quite obvious.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2018, 14:35
eWRC need your help !

https://www.ewrc-results.com/donate/

N.O.T
6th February 2018, 17:47
eWRC need your help !

https://www.ewrc-results.com/donate/

i pushed the like button so thats enough...

you know like those facebook ads with dying children that get well after a million likes....

Andre Oliveira
6th February 2018, 18:22
Thanks N.O.T that like is awesome.

I'm feel complete now.

PLuto
6th February 2018, 18:22
I dont know if it was mentioned here, but interview of Martin Holmes with Pontus Tidemand - https://rallysportmag.com/interview-wrc2-champ-speaks-of-2018-plans/

Mirek
6th February 2018, 19:49
Actually it's an interview with Jonas Andersson not Pontus ;)

PLuto
6th February 2018, 20:10

This year there will be 12 special stages. And they have prepared more kms of SS, comparing to last years 316 km, this years 333 km is really improvement. But of course 390 km in 2016 was much better... I am also happy that they have made changes in the stages comparing to previous years. I cannot say that this year stages will be better or worse than last year, but they will be different. And they are leaving Porto-Vechio for only power stage and moving to north to Cap Corse.

Andre Oliveira
6th February 2018, 20:25
#Safari2WRC campaign started.

Candidate event to WRC 2019: https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/44275-safari-rally-2018/

Closed roads, two service parks

drive
6th February 2018, 20:40
Thanks N.O.T that like is awesome.

I'm feel complete now.

You should get btc eth ltc wallets

PLuto
6th February 2018, 20:55
Does anybody here know how is the actual situation with closed roads and rally in Africa? I remember that Safari Rally was always on roads not closed for traffic. What is the situation with normal african events now?

Rally Power
6th February 2018, 21:52
Safari Rally heritage is remarkable, but FIA must ensure the event is up to current WRC standards. Btw, with the constant news about future WRC events, how many are really candidates for 2019?

Eli
6th February 2018, 22:02
Safari Rally heritage is remarkable, but FIA must ensure the event is up to current WRC standards. Btw, with the constant news about future WRC events, how many are really candidates for 2019?

Japan right? Chile, and now Safari...but if I remember correctly there were 13 events that wanted in some time ago.

Watson
6th February 2018, 22:17
I'd be so incredibly happy if the Safari Rally came back.

Andre Oliveira
6th February 2018, 22:17
A WRC event there should have more 100km of stages.

Andre Oliveira
6th February 2018, 22:21
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVWwRY-WsAAli8H?format=jpg&name=medium

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2018, 22:49
i pushed the like button so thats enough...

you know like those facebook ads with dying children that get well after a million likes....

Wouldnt expect any more from you.

Give nothing, expect everything.

PLuto
6th February 2018, 23:09
Japan right? Chile, and now Safari...but if I remember correctly there were 13 events that wanted in some time ago.

Project of Croatia in WRC is completely dead?

er88
6th February 2018, 23:27
Project of Croatia in WRC is completely dead?Sounds like it. I'd be delighted with events in Chile and Japan being added, along with the long awaited return of the Safari rally.

Japan being a tarmac event is important, and if Italy's round is to remain they really need to get it back on the mainland on asphalt imo. We need a few more tarmac events.

N.O.T
6th February 2018, 23:38
Wouldnt expect any more from you.

Give nothing, expect everything.

with smart intelligent super handsome and modest people like my self is...

give nothing, get everything for free then some more because you are awsome

AnttiL
7th February 2018, 08:02
http://rallyestonia.com/hyundai-motorsport-to-start-at-shell-helix-rally-estonia/

Paddon drives Rally Estonia in July

Simmi
7th February 2018, 09:32
Some quotes in Motorsport News from Carlos Tavares about the Opel brand. He says once the company is back on its feet financially they would like to see it return to motorsport. But we're talking 2020+

I just thought that was interesting after seeing a few people saying Peugeot would come in to replace Citroen eventually at WRC level.

T16
7th February 2018, 09:54
Some quotes in Motorsport News from Carlos Tavares about the Opel brand. He says once the company is back on its feet financially they would like to see it return to motorsport. But we're talking 2020+

I just thought that was interesting after seeing a few people saying Peugeot would come in to replace Citroen eventually at WRC level.

They may run both.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th February 2018, 18:08
2018 Rally GB shake-up ... https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134266/rally-gb-shakeup-to-include-closed-roads

spiderem
7th February 2018, 19:36
2018 Rally GB shake-up ... https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134266/rally-gb-shakeup-to-include-closed-roads

Sorry but can someone explain what does "closed road" means? I mean are not rally always on closed roads??

Simmi
7th February 2018, 19:45
Sorry but can someone explain what does "closed road" means? I mean are not rally always on closed roads??

It just means sections of public road where you need to obtain a road closure order. Commonplace in most countries but not in Wales. So basically it means some short tarmac sections will be in the rally. Expect a big press release and lots of fanfare when the route comes out. But really it won't change too much the character of the event.

Whinlatter
7th February 2018, 20:02
I think it will mean some of the Mid Wales stages used the last couple of years will be dropped - wouldn't be surprised if Myherin was rested after the problems with tree disease and access to the Pike's Peak section being restricted due to the state of the road.

What would be nice, and different, would be to extend Great Orme into the town centre of Llandudno and go straight to the finish ramp from the end of the stage.

the sniper
8th February 2018, 03:30

When I saw 'shake-up' and 'closed roads' in the title I was rather worried, but seemingly/hopefully they are just going down sensible route of mainly just crossing closed public roads. Going by those comments I imagine we'll get a Penmachno that looks rather like this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.0292865,-3.8139366/53.0668398,-3.8045556/@53.0328161,-3.8168109,11352m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m19!4m18!1m15!3m4!1m2!1d-3.8475427!2d53.0312033!3s0x486513ab987e034f:0x447e 83b1906a2951!3m4!1m2!1d-3.8177063!2d53.0441215!3s0x4865138c55b43fc3:0x1c9c 4213a4071dc4!3m4!1m2!1d-3.7975386!2d53.0585978!3s0x4865140f206d7d95:0x7909 0f0e360bc562!1m0!3e0

Brenig should be a massive beneficiary too, with various ways that can be turned into a proper stage now.

Got to say though that it looks like the Mahonen school of thinking will win out on one full day of Rally GB, plus probably Sunday too. Hopefully they make the more traditional long distance day in mid Wales a bloody long one as recompense! Also looks like no Thursday evening stages again, last seen in 2013, or night stages... For me ideally, with the Welsh Rally GB model, you'd run a Thursday evening loop of a Llandudno start, SS Gwydir, SS Penmachno, SS Alwen and a stage somewhere in Clocaenog. A variation of this could then be run again on Sunday morning, as has been the case for years. That leaves Friday and Saturday to be more adventurous. Makes more sense if Rally GB is running as the season finale though with this model, as you can start with Monte as a four day rally and finish with GB as a four day special too.

Only other thing, with it looking like the flawed but casual spectator popular 'RallyFest' stage in Cholmondeley is under review, it continues to be incomprehensible to me that Oulton Park Circuit isn't being considered as an alternative venue. It's the same distance from the Deeside service park as Cholmondeley and Kinmel Park, if not a little closer, and has a great rally heritage, having been part of the RAC Rally for many decades! It even hosts its own popular national rally... I just don't get it, it's not even mentioned.

AnttiL
8th February 2018, 10:43
http://www.andreasmikkelsen.com/news/2018-02-08-new-experience-ahead-for-my-co-driver-andersand-me

Mikkelsen and Jæger switch seats for a rally in Norway, as a birthday present to Anders from Andreas

ESTR
8th February 2018, 11:01
http://www.andreasmikkelsen.com/news/2018-02-08-new-experience-ahead-for-my-co-driver-andersand-me

Mikkelsen and Jæger switch seats for a rally in Norway, as a birthday present to Anders from Andreas

What if he will enjoy it so much and do good?

Fast Eddie WRC
8th February 2018, 13:53
When I saw 'shake-up' and 'closed roads' in the title I was rather worried, but seemingly/hopefully they are just going down sensible route of mainly just crossing closed public roads. Going by those comments I imagine we'll get a Penmachno that looks rather like this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.0292865,-3.8139366/53.0668398,-3.8045556/@53.0328161,-3.8168109,11352m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m19!4m18!1m15!3m4!1m2!1d-3.8475427!2d53.0312033!3s0x486513ab987e034f:0x447e 83b1906a2951!3m4!1m2!1d-3.8177063!2d53.0441215!3s0x4865138c55b43fc3:0x1c9c 4213a4071dc4!3m4!1m2!1d-3.7975386!2d53.0585978!3s0x4865140f206d7d95:0x7909 0f0e360bc562!1m0!3e0

Brenig should be a massive beneficiary too, with various ways that can be turned into a proper stage now.

Got to say though that it looks like the Mahonen school of thinking will win out on one full day of Rally GB, plus probably Sunday too. Hopefully they make the more traditional long distance day in mid Wales a bloody long one as recompense! Also looks like no Thursday evening stages again, last seen in 2013, or night stages... For me ideally, with the Welsh Rally GB model, you'd run a Thursday evening loop of a Llandudno start, SS Gwydir, SS Penmachno, SS Alwen and a stage somewhere in Clocaenog. A variation of this could then be run again on Sunday morning, as has been the case for years. That leaves Friday and Saturday to be more adventurous. Makes more sense if Rally GB is running as the season finale though with this model, as you can start with Monte as a four day rally and finish with GB as a four day special too.

Only other thing, with it looking like the flawed but casual spectator popular 'RallyFest' stage in Cholmondeley is under review, it continues to be incomprehensible to me that Oulton Park Circuit isn't being considered as an alternative venue. It's the same distance from the Deeside service park as Cholmondeley and Kinmel Park, if not a little closer, and has a great rally heritage, having been part of the RAC Rally for many decades! It even hosts its own popular national rally... I just don't get it, it's not even mentioned.

Oulton Park would be ideal. I went there in the 90's and it was great. Dont know why its not considered nowadays as it is well-placed and has a rally stage already.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th February 2018, 13:54
Opel WRC 2020 possible ! :)

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/opel-could-launch-wrc-programme-in-2020/

electroliquid
8th February 2018, 14:04

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/opel-could-launch-wrc-programme-in-2020/

It would be great! Also it's strange that Opel didn't bless R5 project, it could be useful for developing WRC, or they use one of current PSA R5's/WRC...

AnttiL
8th February 2018, 14:10

The article states the company can start building a world rally car once they're back to profit, and the estimate is that they're back to profit in 2020. Unless they can secretly build the car before that, it will take longer for them to be competing. But good news anyway.

macebig
8th February 2018, 15:13
If the New Corsa chassis can cure the malignments of the C3, then they can surely be a contender.

Eli
8th February 2018, 16:50
Canada wants to join the WRC come 2023, the layout of the plan ahead is in the link:
http://rallypromoter.ca/about/

ESTR
8th February 2018, 17:10
If this will be true, it's more likely be Opel change for Citroen, not Peugeot. They are focus more on World RX now and with electric from 2020 they will sure be rather there.

Still it's long time to 2020 and everything could change until then. Let's wait and we will see.

(fingers crossed for Skoda and Opel both join and no team quitting)

Francis44
8th February 2018, 17:43
If this will be true, it's more likely be Opel change for Citroen, not Peugeot. They are focus more on World RX now and with electric from 2020 they will sure be rather there.

Still it's long time to 2020 and everything could change until then. Let's wait and we will see.

(fingers crossed for Skoda and Opel both join and no team quitting)

That is an interesting question, because Carlos Tavares hinted at the possibility of having Opel as a sort of "guinea pig" for electric technology, since he isn't totally convinced full electric cars are a good proposition. Even reading between the lines he was clearly hinting that we would have Opel take all the risks with e-mobility and see how the market would react, while Peugeot and Citroen stay in relatively safe territory with small electric and petrol hybrid cars.

So I guess much sooner we'll see Opel in WRX and maybe Peugeot can commit to WRC.

Sanremo
8th February 2018, 18:04

Unfortunatly it looks like night stages will not be included in 2018 route, especially considering they represent the sport at its best. It's just disappointing when the day comes to an end at 5 pm. Last year GB night stages were the cherry on the pie.

Sanremo
8th February 2018, 18:26
Sounds like it. I'd be delighted with events in Chile and Japan being added, along with the long awaited return of the Safari rally.

Japan being a tarmac event is important, and if Italy's round is to remain they really need to get it back on the mainland on asphalt imo. We need a few more tarmac events.

Totally agree. I like both the surfaces, but at this rate we are going to end up with the world rally gravel championship. The balance between tarmac and gravel should be more even, as long as the nature of the country allows it :)

AndyRAC
8th February 2018, 19:10
I'd prefer to see Peugeot replace Citroen in the WRC; Peugeot now have some nice performance cars, especially the 308 GTi. Citroen have done very little (apart from a DS3 Racing) in regards to performance cars during their WRC programme; an absolute waste.

As for RallyGB, well it's one step forwards, and two steps back. Traditionally a late autumn/ early winter event, it's now early October, and seemingly will have no night stages this year. It's meant to be a tough test for the crews; it's all well and good benefitting from the 'closed roads', but if you make a less challenging route, then is it really worth it?
I agree with an earlier poster who would like to see Thursday night stages, which are possibly repeated on the Sunday. I'd also like to see to long days on the Friday & Saturday.

PLuto
8th February 2018, 19:22
Unfortunatly it looks like night stages will not be included in 2018 route, especially considering they represent the sport at its best. It's just disappointing when the day comes to an end at 5 pm. Last year GB night stages were the cherry on the pie.

I know that night stages are not so good for promotion and should be "disaster" for live coverage, but they always have been important part of rallysport...

AnttiL
8th February 2018, 20:16
I know that night stages are not so good for promotion and should be "disaster" for live coverage, but they always have been important part of rallysport...

Agreed, and they were crucial for last year's Wales and this year's Monte. Too bad we cannot have them in Finland because it doesn't get dark enough in July until the wee hours...

Rally Power
8th February 2018, 20:16
Perhaps Evans didn’t quote everything, but Mr. Tavares words in that article don’t make any special mention to rally; he only says Opel will, in due time, be able to get a motorsport program, like all PSA brands.

Before knowing if Citroen can fix the C3 and continue beyond 2019 (Tavares already told the program is for 3 to 5 years), it makes little sense to insist Citroen will be replaced in the WRC by Peugeot, Opel, DS or Vauxhall…

Even reading between the lines he was clearly hinting that we would have Opel take all the risks with e-mobility and see how the market would react, while Peugeot and Citroen stay in relatively safe territory with small electric and petrol hybrid cars.
The future 208 will be launched in 2019 with a full electric version and some other Peugeot, Citroen and DS models will get electric very soon. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/electric-peugeot-208-lead-psa-ev-push-2018

PLuto
8th February 2018, 20:18
Canada wants to join the WRC come 2023, the layout of the plan ahead is in the link:
http://rallypromoter.ca/about/

I dont know if it is necessary to bring WRC to every continent. If there is no proper local rally scene...

ESTR
8th February 2018, 20:34
Well that's manus decisions and money. No matter how big scene is somewhere always there is someone with bag of money and personal interests.

Francis44
8th February 2018, 20:45
Perhaps Evans didn’t quote everything, but Mr. Tavares words in that article don’t make any special mention to rally; he only says Opel will, in due time, be able to get a motorsport program, like all PSA brands.

Before knowing if Citroen can fix the C3 and continue beyond 2019 (Tavares already told the program is for 3 to 5 years), it makes little sense to insist Citroen will be replaced in the WRC by Peugeot, Opel, DS or Vauxhall…

The future 208 will be launched in 2019 with a full electric version and some other Peugeot, Citroen and DS models will get electric very soon. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/electric-peugeot-208-lead-psa-ev-push-2018

Every manu will have electric versions, its good for the CO2 fleet requirements. However those serious about it are making proper one offs alongside hybrids

Sanremo
8th February 2018, 21:20
I'd prefer to see Peugeot replace Citroen in the WRC; Peugeot now have some nice performance cars, especially the 308 GTi. Citroen have done very little (apart from a DS3 Racing) in regards to performance cars during their WRC programme; an absolute waste.

As for RallyGB, well it's one step forwards, and two steps back. Traditionally a late autumn/ early winter event, it's now early October, and seemingly will have no night stages this year. It's meant to be a tough test for the crews; it's all well and good benefitting from the 'closed roads', but if you make a less challenging route, then is it really worth it?
I agree with an earlier poster who would like to see Thursday night stages, which are possibly repeated on the Sunday. I'd also like to see to long days on the Friday & Saturday.

As far as I'm concerned, the decision to move the event to early October could be a major downside since the probable lack of muddy/foggy conditions like in 2012 (even if at the time it was held in September). Fixed or similar calendar slots should be granted to rounds whose challenging nature is defined by weather conditions (Monte Carlo, GB,...). This way it would be more likely to have the proper conditions.

Sanremo
8th February 2018, 22:02

You're right, night stages could be a disaster for live coverage but there should be no excuses for skipping them in daily recaps, since they use a recorded footage. I remember of Spain night stages in 2013 to be shown for barely 10 seconds in the highlights. It seems they are not even bothering. The video below shows them that it's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q93_dEYLLk

At least ALL LIVE is a step forward in all ways.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th February 2018, 22:13
Re Opel into WRC... I think its a possibility if only because the brand needs a huge boost. It really needs something to help get it seen again and seen as something cool to own/drive.

PSA appears to be looking more to the comfort-based and luxury market with its French road cars. Opel could be their new 'sporty' brand.

AndyRAC
8th February 2018, 23:45

I just don't understand their thinking; the last 3 weekends have seen Sportscar races with plenty of night racing......Nobody there is calling for the end of night racing....it adds to the sport.
The decision makers in rallying are detached from reality; Endurance & Night stages seem to go against their view of the sport.

Gregor-y
8th February 2018, 23:53
I dont know if it is necessary to bring WRC to every continent. If there is no proper local rally scene...

For the population they have a lot of events, particularly in Quebec and Ontario. As long as they get access to good roads it'd be worth a try. Time of year would be a big factor since it would be a great chance for another snow rally, and the bugs in the summer up there are awful.

Sanremo
9th February 2018, 00:00
I just don't understand their thinking; the last 3 weekends have seen Sportscar races with plenty of night racing......Nobody there is calling for the end of night racing....it adds to the sport.
The decision makers in rallying are detached from reality; Endurance & Night stages seem to go against their view of the sport.

Spot on ;)

Zeakiwi
9th February 2018, 07:35
Some candidate roads for a Canadian WRC round. Bancroft, Ontario is about 2 hours drive west of Ottawa. Probably need to find similar roads closer to a larger populated area.

https://youtu.be/XwLlapSLp_I (Tall pines roads)2017

https://youtu.be/cyitl-VS2Yk Subaru/ cars at Tall Pines Rally 2017

From the Bancroft wiki entry " A village until 1999, Bancroft then merged with Dungannon Township to form the Town of Bancroft."

https://youtu.be/S2zlWVjjvxw perce neige 2018 (driver at 1.04 does a Henning Solberg and fills the car with snow)
http://rallyscoring.com/results/2018/PerceNeige/PerceNeige2018Press0.htm
(Karel Carre won 2018 Perce Neige 2018 about 1' 30" in front of Crazy Leo)

Maybe alternate Canada/ Mexico different years.

Maybe run Catalunya as full tarmac event -
"WRC 1999 - Rallye Catalunya Costa Brava - Round 5" youtube video title loix, aurio kerb hopping back in the day, Sainz going for it...
https://youtu.be/p780XFqI9Ls?t=5m

Franky
9th February 2018, 08:30
Tall Pines roads seem pretty straight to me. This is from 2013, but it seemed similar to another later video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in-3XCTayr4

pucky54
9th February 2018, 09:05
Could be fun with an actual WRC in the snow without studs! :D :D

Tarmop
9th February 2018, 09:07
Watch RMC slo-mo testing videos...nothing fun about it.:D

Mintexmemory
9th February 2018, 09:41
Oulton Park would be ideal. I went there in the 90's and it was great. Dont know why its not considered nowadays as it is well-placed and has a rally stage already.

Politics - To misquote The League of Gentlemen, WRGB is a Welsh financed rally for Welsh locations , is Oulton Park in Wales? (listen sonny Jim....)

Simmi
9th February 2018, 09:54
Politics - To misquote The League of Gentlemen, WRGB is a Welsh financed rally for Welsh locations , is Oulton Park in Wales? (listen sonny Jim....)

Cholmondeley Castle is in Cheshire which probably opened the door slightly for ideas like Oulton. But it does increasingly sound like they'll keep it in the forests this year.

L555MAT
9th February 2018, 09:55

For "Shakeup" read pretty much the same stages as the last 4 years with clocaenog now 1 slightly longer stage. Sweet Lamb run in reverse. No night stages - how very boring.

Mintexmemory
9th February 2018, 10:09
Cholmondeley Castle is in Cheshire which probably opened the door slightly for ideas like Oulton. But it does increasingly sound like they'll keep it in the forests this year.

True that - but less than 10 miles from the border, so probably ‘disputed territory’ by the Taffia��

pucky54
9th February 2018, 10:11
Watch RMC slo-mo testing videos...nothing fun about it.:D

Yeah, but thats with tarmac tires!

Tarmop
9th February 2018, 10:20
By size yes, but thread is "all-season" in those conditions mostly. Anyway pointless crap with a 380hp 4wd designed to go flat-out, not surviving at speeds close to zero. In Monte due to different conditions occasionally yes, but not in a winter rally.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th February 2018, 11:11
It would be a shame if Cholmondeley goes from WRGB as it's so popular and easily accessible. If they replace it with another similar spectator stage then that's not so bad, but if not I think they will be losing a great promo for the event.

Andre Oliveira
9th February 2018, 19:47
Auriol wants WRC?

http://www.lexpressmada.com/blog/actualites/rallye-didier%E2%80%88auriol%E2%80%88de%E2%80%88retour%E2 %80%88en%E2%80%88wrc/

dupanton
9th February 2018, 20:06
Auriol wants WRC?

http://www.lexpressmada.com/blog/actualites/rallye-didier%E2%80%88auriol%E2%80%88de%E2%80%88retour%E2 %80%88en%E2%80%88wrc/

Yes, for his 60th birthday he wants to do 1 or 2 events, just for fun. At least according to this article ;)

macebig
9th February 2018, 20:14
Auriol was part of teams from VAG, Ford, PSA and Toyota. He could probably get at least a R5 if he really wants.

AnttiL
9th February 2018, 20:50
Toyota or Ford for Auriol, please. Although I'd most rather see him in a Sierra Cosworth.

Auriol also says he won't do Finland, but maybe a tarmac event or a gravel rally he likes, such as Portugal or Argentina. He may resort to a 2016 car for the lower cost.

Grönholm just turned 50 and seems like he's passing the opportunity to do a birthday rally like Alen, Kankkunen, Vatanen, Salonen and Mikkola did before. At least he says he doesn't want to do Rally Finland, and Tommi wouldn't give him a car.

COD
9th February 2018, 21:06
Grönholm said he would rather have done Sweden than Finland. So probably no WRC event for him

KiwiWRCfan
12th February 2018, 09:52
Article headed "We will perfect WRC Live TV" in this weeks Motorsport Monday contains some insight into cause of problem in accessing Monte Carlo timing on WRC.com. Underlying cause known and changes have been made to ensure the problem is not repeated.
http://mmuk.realviewdigital.com/?iid=157793#folio=35

Gregor-y
12th February 2018, 18:00
At least he says he doesn't want to do Rally Finland, and Tommi wouldn't give him a car.
Suomenruotsalaiset perkele?

Not so serious as much as wondering if this is correct (or intelligible) Finnish.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th February 2018, 22:42
Article headed "We will perfect WRC Live TV" in this weeks Motorsport Monday contains some insight into cause of problem in accessing Monte Carlo timing on WRC.com. Underlying cause known and changes have been made to ensure the problem is not repeated.
http://mmuk.realviewdigital.com/?iid=157793#folio=35

Wonder how this could suddenly happen as WRC.com has been providing live times and splits for years now...

Very poor, especially coinciding with ALL LIVE on Monte Carlo (which wasnt) and didnt show many splits.

the sniper
12th February 2018, 23:07
Wonder how this could suddenly happen as WRC.com has been providing live times and splits for years now...

Very poor, especially coinciding with ALL LIVE on Monte Carlo (which wasnt) and didnt show many splits.

I think the article explains how it happened pretty well?

sonnybobiche
13th February 2018, 00:22
Anybody who's ever looked at the codebase for WRC+ can tell it's amateur hour over there. Heck, even the site design for wrc.com looks like something a high schooler made on Microsoft Frontpage 15 years ago. But they're getting better, slowly.

tr4m
13th February 2018, 03:17
Miss-integration between two services is well explained?

At more than 3 million requests per hour, the public-facing API became overloaded
This is something that a lot of services have trouble with after starting out or making major changes and I just can not understand it. How can they let this happen? The amount of requests can't be a surprise for them, they must have some previous data and be able to calculate a safe buffer.

Still, non of the issues that revealed themselves during the launch was a surprise and I'm quite confident it will be stabilized quite quickly.

the sniper
13th February 2018, 03:50
Miss-integration between two services is well explained?

"Unfortunately, WRC.com's systems and ours were not integrated correctly, and traffic from the spectating public was forwarded to our servers. At more than 3 million requests per hour, the public-facing API became overloaded. WRC.com was temporarily disabled in order to allow the rest of our clients - including the AC de Monaco - stable access to timing information. Since then, we've worked with WRC.com to ensure the problem isn't repeated"

What more do you need to know? The names of the people at WRC.com who screwed it up?

tr4m
13th February 2018, 10:08
and traffic from the spectating public was forwarded to our servers
Well, I guess that's what happens if I start reading and commenting before finishing my first coffee. Somehow I totally missed that part, thanks for bolding it our for me.

No need for the names of the people in WRC who screwed up, as it seems I was the one who screwed up even the most basic task of reading.

AnttiL
13th February 2018, 10:20
So if I understood correctly the WRC site was constructed in a way that every time you reloaded the splits page it made a request to the RallySafe API to load the times, whereas they could and should have had just one connection from the WRC site to RallySafe API and saved the times to WRC site for the public requests. The WRC site can handle heavy traffic, RallySafe API is not designed for that.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th February 2018, 10:36

How it happened, yes. But not why it happened.

PLuto
14th February 2018, 23:23
Interesting interview with Wayne Christie, new president of FIA Rally commission: https://rallysportmag.com/interview-wayne-christie-president-of-the-fia-rallies-commission/

Red bull
15th February 2018, 05:33
Toyota team museum. https://rallysportmag.com/aladins-cave-inside-toyotas-secret-motorsport-museum150218/

Mirek
15th February 2018, 08:32
Interesting interview with Wayne Christie, new president of FIA Rally commission: https://rallysportmag.com/interview-wayne-christie-president-of-the-fia-rallies-commission/

It's going to be interesting to see someone "from the other side of the barricade" in this post. He's someone well aware of what real issues of rallying in distant countries are and that is for sure a positive thing. So in this moment I wish him good luck.

A FONDO
15th February 2018, 08:40

New president = same idiot.

“In my country we developed the AP4 concept. Now we have nine or 10 different makes involved. All the cars look different. I understand that a lot of the local distributors have got behind this concept, which is a good thing.

“My role is to encourage the growth of rallying round the world. The FIA, however, speaks about global concepts of competition cars such as 1.6 turbo engines. It hasn’t been lost on me that Australasia has gone off in a different direction!

“While the AP4 concept is being developed, there is a three year moratorium and many cars use 1.8 litre engines, but from the 2020 season cars will need to have a 1.6 litre engine to be classified as AP4.

“Part of the problem is that the 1.6 engines have been very expensive and relatively unreliable. People prefer to downsize a 1.8 engine which is a bit more reliable, doesn’t cost quite as much, but certainly there is only a place for the 1.6 engines from the 2020 season.”
No wonder if people in Asia-Pacific treat him like a traitor. They have developed a working solution with big interest in it, but now it must be destroyed because some lobby of people in France chose the number 1600 and want to force everyone to obey it. Such a dark-age catholicism.

T16
15th February 2018, 08:54
Safari Rally to return...

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/safari-rally-set-for-wrc-return-by-2020/

nice.

AL14
15th February 2018, 10:38
Safari Rally to return...

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/safari-rally-set-for-wrc-return-by-2020/

nice.

If it will be special as it used to be it would be a strong addiction to the championship and very much welcome.
If it has to be the same as other rallys than it's not that great news.

AnttiL
15th February 2018, 10:41
If it will be special as it used to be it would be a strong addiction to the championship and very much welcome.

In the 80's and early 90's Safari had as much competitive kilometres as the whole WRC season. It's not going to work. The past is gone, just accept it, let it go and move forwards.

This is the candidate event. All closed special stages like modern rallies, no driving without helmets on open roads. 200 stage kms. https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/44275-safari-rally-2018/ Of course it would be a bit longer as a WRC event, but probably mostly the same.

Watson
15th February 2018, 10:56
I think it would be a strong addition just for being in Africa. With the additions of Japan and Canada, the WRC would cover more continents than any other Racing series, making it the most legit World Championship which is something to boast about and therefore nice for marketing.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
15th February 2018, 11:49
If it has to be the same as other rallys than it's not that great news.Will we see Safari version of the 2017 cars..?

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

Watson
15th February 2018, 12:15
Will we see Safari version of the 2017 cars..?

I regret to say I have my doubts. The stages will probably be more tame. Less rough, without passing thigh deep mud. I would love to see those beasts with front protection, snorkles and a crazy ride height though.

AL14
15th February 2018, 13:15
In the 80's and early 90's Safari had as much competitive kilometres as the whole WRC season. It's not going to work. The past is gone, just accept it, let it go and move forwards.

This is the candidate event. All closed special stages like modern rallies, no driving without helmets on open roads. 200 stage kms. https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/44275-safari-rally-2018/ Of course it would be a bit longer as a WRC event, but probably mostly the same.

In this case I'm not talking about competitive kilometres. The format in that matter is not going to change for sure and will be the same as the other events. I'm talking about road characteristcs and the character of the event in general.

AL14
15th February 2018, 13:16
Will we see Safari version of the 2017 cars..?

Me too I have doubts, especially if it will be expensive. But IMO it would be a great addition if that will happen.

macebig
15th February 2018, 13:55
10k stages on a Safari? Closed roads? 300k total? No, thank you. I would rather see the DVDs of the great adventure events of old. PCs can keep that event for themselves.

AL14
15th February 2018, 13:58
10k stages on a Safari? Closed roads? 300k total? No, thank you. I would rather see the DVDs of the great adventure events of old. PCs can keep that event for themselves.

I think that with this kind of mindset Safari would have never existed in a first place.

the sniper
15th February 2018, 21:48

In David Evans' other article on this story for Autosport, he says:

"The Safari Rally has continued to run since it was dropped from the WRC calendar 16 years ago, but the modern-day African Championship version is a shadow of the event's heyday.

A return to the WRC would likely mean a route similar to the 2002 event, which included 627 competitive miles in 12 sections across three days."
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134367/major-boost-for-safari-rally-wrc-return-bid

Now, feel free to take that with a pinch of salt as I am, but if correct, or even near correct, that'd be great. Here's the 2002 Safari Rally itinerary: https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/86-inmarsat-safari-rally-2002/

Even within the current regulations for a WRC round, pushing the boundaries just a bit you could run 3 70km SS twice on Friday and Saturday, with one 60km SS and a 10km PS on Sunday, you'd have a 910km event. Obviously they'd need to have a tire fitting after each stage at least. That'd be nearly three times the length of many of the current WRC rallies, so to me worthy of an 'endurance' tag.

Mk2 RS2000
18th February 2018, 21:15
Will be interesting to see how many backroom deals surface following Rally Sweden.

steve.mandzij
18th February 2018, 23:57
Thoughts on Latvala's mental state? My heart is aching already from his comments throughout Sweden and his lack of speed throughout. He was never bad but never beat Tanak in a fair flat out fight and that began getting to his head, especially since it was in Sweden.

ESTR
19th February 2018, 06:18
Will be interesting to see how many backroom deals surface following Rally Sweden.

I think it's too early to do that. But with almost all contracts end at the 2018 (except Mikkelsen and Tanak) it will be interesting where everyone will go.

Hot list:
1. Neuville (Hyundai)
2. Ogier (M-Sport, Hyundai???, Citroen doesn't have money, Toyota will not show interest)
3. Latvala (Toyota)
4. Lappi (Toyota)
5. Breen (he is only one that can drive C3 properly)
6. Paddon (he is aiming at staying at Hyundai)
7. Sordo (Same as Paddon, except if he will retire)
8. Meeke (no one probably will probably want him)
9. Suninen (M-Sport)
10. Tidemand (where it will be free seat probably)

Allez Andruet
19th February 2018, 08:38
Thoughts on Latvala's mental state?
It definitely doesn't look good (from JML's perspective). Tänak's been faster both in MC and now in Sweden and he's probably only getting better and better with the Yaris as the season progresses.

AnttiL
19th February 2018, 08:53
It definitely doesn't look good (from JML's perspective). Tänak's been faster both in MC and now in Sweden and he's probably only getting better and better with the Yaris as the season progresses.

Latvala is the only full season works driver without a stage win this year. He also admitted at one stage end he has nothing on Tänak's pace. Doesn't look good.

Allez Andruet
19th February 2018, 08:54
Latvala is the only full season works driver without a stage win this year.

That's quite amazing :eek:

Allez Andruet
19th February 2018, 08:58
He also admitted at one stage end he has nothing on Tänak's pace. Doesn't look good.
It was a terrible moment (mentally) at the end of stage 12 when Latvala couldn't believe Tänak's time after seeing it on the board. He asked Colin Clark what Tänak's time was and didn't look too happy after finding out the time on the board was indeed correct.

RS
19th February 2018, 09:09
Wouldn’t be all that surprised if Latvala is consistently the third quickest Toyota driver in the not too distant future. Lappi outperformed him in Sweden also.

Rallyper
19th February 2018, 09:42
Ok. Bashing Latvala is your mission, boys. But the season just started. And JML still is among the top five, six fastest in WRC. Should be a lot more drivers to complain about as well...

ESTR
19th February 2018, 09:45
Ok. Bashing Latvala is your mission, boys. But the season just started. And JML still is among the top five, six fastest in WRC. Should be a lot more drivers to complain about as well...

Agree. By the way Tanak finished behind Latvala here and is standing behind also in overall. Maybe he is playing like Ogier always do. Fast when can and take points when can.

AnttiL
19th February 2018, 09:59

Yeh, he's third in the points. Not bad. It's not that I'm bashing him, more that I'm worried of him. It's one of his last chances to win the drivers title, and it seems he's out of pace for that.

Allez Andruet
19th February 2018, 10:10
Ok. Bashing Latvala is your mission, boys.
Never. It's just very alarming (if you're rooting for JML for the title like I am) that he wasn't the fastest Toyota in Sweden. A) because it's Sweden and B) because no-one has done more testing with the Yaris on snow than JML. I think the common opinion (and probably the way JML had planned it himself) was that Latvala would have been the number one in the TGR squad during the first quarter or half of the season.

gheeD
19th February 2018, 10:14
Latvala is the only full season works driver without a stage win this year. He also admitted at one stage end he has nothing on Tänak's pace. Doesn't look good.

If you know Latvala, that is just how he is during rallies. He knows how fast he can drive, and if at stage end he finds thats not enough he is very quick to admit he doesn't know how others do it. You could probably go back to last years rally sweden and find him saying the same thing to Miikka in onboard footage after a stage. That is, if they still have onboard mics enabled for previous rallies, as for this year Toyota's onboards are exceptionally quick to cut the incar audio feed, as if they dont want to let you hear Jari-Matti venting to Miikka after every stage.

mknight
19th February 2018, 10:14
Yes I was very worried about Tanak going to Toyota (M. Martin experience in mind).

Now I am more worried Latvala will go back to 2016 state.

EstWRC
19th February 2018, 10:16
wtf bashing?...it is a pure fact that he was the slowest of the Toyotas in Sweden, one of his favourite and strongest rallies...and in Monte at times he was also the third Toyota speedwise...

of course, the season is only two rallies in but like some of the guys say here, it is quite alarming for him. I certainly expected him to be the fastest Toyota driver in the beginning of the season.

Rallyper
19th February 2018, 10:21
Yeh, he's third in the points. Not bad. It's not that I'm bashing him, more that I'm worried of him. It's one of his last chances to win the drivers title, and it seems he's out of pace for that.

Only that why we should worry, knowing what kind of personality he is? Then we should know he could win in Mexico within only a few weeks, for example. Happend before.

AnttiL
19th February 2018, 10:29
Yes I was very worried about Tanak going to Toyota (M. Martin experience in mind).

Now I am more worried Latvala will go back to 2016 state.

Latvala himself said in an interview before the season started that it will be tough for Tänak to step into a new car.

Allez Andruet
19th February 2018, 10:32
Only that why we should worry, knowing what kind of personality he is? Then we should know he could win in Mexico within only a few weeks, for example. Happend before.

Lot of things have happened before, like Tänak being dropped by M-Sport, but now is now and the fact is that Latvala was the third fastest Toyota in Sweden. Ofcourse things can be totally different in Mexico, but in order to make that happen, JML must change the trend that's been developing in MC and Sweden.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th February 2018, 10:37
Thoughts on Latvala's mental state? My heart is aching already from his comments throughout Sweden and his lack of speed throughout. He was never bad but never beat Tanak in a fair flat out fight and that began getting to his head, especially since it was in Sweden.

Dont think this is news ;) ... maybe debate in the Toyota thread ?

er88
19th February 2018, 10:50
Breen (he is only one that can drive C3 properly)

Sorry, but what a stupid comment.

er88
19th February 2018, 11:00
The speed is a worry for Latvala, but if I was him id try and calm down. It's not necessarily the fastest driver who will finish ahead in the championship, so he should try and focus on having the same speed and consitency as he did for most of last season. If that means Tanak (and maybe Lappi) will be faster than him then he has to try and deal with it. Lappi will still have a lot of mistakes as he's still developing, but if Jari let's purely the speed get to him after these two events, he's already f*cked. He needs to calm down.

Ogier kept his cool last year when the likes of Thierry, Jari and Meeke went faster on events, and more importantly when his own teammate Tanak was faster than him in the same car. Ofcourse everyone wants to be fastest in their team but it shouldn't break you mentally, especially after only two (specialist) events.

steve.mandzij
19th February 2018, 12:50
I see we're all on the same page then. After such a good year last year, where he was quick and consistent too, it's been a surprise (and a source of worry for fans like me) to find he's struggling to match his teammates in speed. To be fair I'm not sure if he's been giving it maximum at all so far, not because he can't, but because he hasn't been battling for positions yet; if his regular pace can't match Tanak or Lappi, though, it might begin to play tricks on his head.

I suppose he'll do well in Mexico as long as the Yaris doesn't overheat again. Neuville will be knocked down the order on the first day and third on the road is a pretty decent position. Tanak however starts fifth, so he might be quicker and the story might repeat itself.

Edit: he's listed behind Lappi but tied for points in fourth in the standings, so his starting position might be as good as Tanak's.

Duvel
19th February 2018, 13:27
Latvalla was saying before season that this would be his aproach. Maybe he is just doeing ecactly as he sead he would. Putting consitansy before speed.

AL14
19th February 2018, 13:28
I really like Latvala but he can be really naive at times. Ogier was slower than Tanak with the same car himself last year in Sweden but he just didn't cry about it and ended up winning the championship. Latvala is also ahead of his teammates in the general ranking. Everything is going fine, he is just finding problems that are not problems.
He took 3rd in Monte, its second best result ever there. He took a bunch of points in Sweden after two days starting not in the best position to aim much more.
He should just go to Mexico and take more points and if he is in his day, win the event. But if he goes with anxiety he will take rocks instead of points or will make slower times because of trying to change the setup and driving style continuously.

Me too I expected Tanak to be slower at beginning but he found soon the feeling with Yaris, that's it. Congratulation to Tanak, now move on.

P.S. I think what Latvala is suffering the most is not just Tanak being soon faster but the feeling to arrive at the end of the stage and not understand why he was slower than his teammate... Last year he could say himself that the car could have been the reason of others faster than him, now he can't say the same with Tanak.

AL14
19th February 2018, 13:28
Latvalla was saying before season that this would be his aproach. Maybe he is just doeing ecactly as he sead he would. Putting consitansy before speed.

He says the same every december since 2009

Rallyper
19th February 2018, 15:24
I really like Latvala but he can be really naive at times. Ogier was slower than Tanak with the same car himself last year in Sweden but he just didn't cry about it and ended up winning the championship. Latvala is also ahead of his teammates in the general ranking. Everything is going fine, he is just finding problems that are not problems.
He took 3rd in Monte, its second best result ever there. He took a bunch of points in Sweden after two days starting not in the best position to aim much more.
He should just go to Mexico and take more points and if he is in his day, win the event. But if he goes with anxiety he will take rocks instead of points or will make slower times because of trying to change the setup and driving style continuously.

Me too I expected Tanak to be slower at beginning but he found soon the feeling with Yaris, that's it. Congratulation to Tanak, now move on.

P.S. I think what Latvala is suffering the most is not just Tanak being soon faster but the feeling to arrive at the end of the stage and not understand why he was slower than his teammate... Last year he could say himself that the car could have been the reason of others faster than him, now he can't say the same with Tanak.

So why shouldn´t Tanak be faster than JML? That can´t be a surprise. So many variations is playing roles. And we´re talking about WD championship over a whole year.

EstWRC
19th February 2018, 17:04
Sébastien Loeb gives his blessing to Thierry Neuville and Ott Tänak

https://translate.google.ee/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=et&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.diariomotor.com%2Fcompeticion% 2Fnoticia%2Fsebastien-loeb-da-su-bendicion-a-thierry-neuville-y-ott-tanak%2F&edit-text=

lol, i dont know how right the translation is but the headline is funny...a short interview with Loeb

Tarmop
19th February 2018, 17:22
Translated from a RB interview i believe.

EstWRC
19th February 2018, 17:50
oh ok...can you post the original link then? i couldnt find it.

doubled1978
19th February 2018, 18:14
I'm sure Tanak knew he had to come out and be quick straight away, by doing that he will put the pressure on JML mentally. Remains to be seen if JML can keep reminding himself that Ogier was WDC with only like 22 stage wins last season. So far he has managed to not let it get to him where he over does it and retires. If that happens and Tanak wins, he's finished.

spiderem
19th February 2018, 20:45
anyone knows the rule why Lappi is ranked above Latvala, and Ott above mikkelsen? or this is just random?

Myrvold
19th February 2018, 20:47
anyone knows the rule why Lappi is ranked above Latvala, and Ott above mikkelsen? or this is just random?

It should be Latvala ahead of Lappi. Tanak ahead of Mikkelsen is correct.

It's based on number of 1st places - if that's the same, the number of 2nd places, if that's the same, the number of 3rd places etc.

spiderem
19th February 2018, 21:02
It should be Latvala ahead of Lappi. Tanak ahead of Mikkelsen is correct.

It's based on number of 1st places - if that's the same, the number of 2nd places, if that's the same, the number of 3rd places etc.

Thanks, makes sense. WRC.com has Lappi before Latvala, confusing...

dimviii
20th February 2018, 11:56
about Katsuta
https://rallysportmag.com/takamoto-katsuta-stuns-rallying-world-with-shock-maiden-wrc2-win-in-sweden200218/

AnttiL
20th February 2018, 12:11
about Katsuta
https://rallysportmag.com/takamoto-katsuta-stuns-rallying-world-with-shock-maiden-wrc2-win-in-sweden200218/

With that name, what else can you be than a racing driver in Finland?
Takamoto ≈ takamoottori = rear engine
Katsuta ≈ kaasuta = give throttle!
:D

electroliquid
20th February 2018, 12:18
about Katsuta

So rumors about Japan WRC round is very strong?

KiwiWRCfan
20th February 2018, 23:31
So rumors about Japan WRC round is very strong?
Not rumours - facts. Japan has a well backed group aiming to see WRC back in Japan potentially as early as 2019. http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january-2018/japan/page/5131--12-12-.html

jbmarcus21
21st February 2018, 18:31
OK Sébastien Loeb is back .... But what is your thought about his result in @RallyMexico ?
Follow this link to answer the POLL ► bit.ly/2CcuYk7

AL14
21st February 2018, 21:02
With that name, what else can you be than a racing driver in Finland?
Takamoto ≈ takamoottori = rear engine
Katsuta ≈ kaasuta = give throttle!
:D

In italian: katso (cazzo) = dick; katsuta katsuto (cazzuta/o) = strong, tough, that have the balls.

Mintexmemory
21st February 2018, 21:31
Ok I suppose it has to be done
In English

Takamoto = Car theft
Katsuta = Someone flirting with a feline

N.O.T
21st February 2018, 21:51
In italian: katso (cazzo) = dick; katsuta katsuto (cazzuta/o) = strong, tough, that have the balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwN5VpSgEKs

AL14
21st February 2018, 22:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwN5VpSgEKs

That video is a cult here! :D I love him. He now retired and produces wine hahaha

dimviii
22nd February 2018, 20:08
Once again, Nasser Al-Attiyah is close to re-linking with the World Rally. On this occasion, the Qatari could start a partial program of five dates from the Rally of Argentina (April 26 to 29). The double winner of the Dakar will use a fourth Toyota Yaris WRC that the Japanese brand plans to have ready for the Cordoba date. However, the head of the team, Tommi Makinen, clarified that the participation of the 2015 WRC2 champion will be private, without factory backing.

Al-Attiyah is no stranger to the Japanese brand, as he has driven a Hilux Toyota Gazoo South Africa in the last two editions of the Dakar and his best result was the second place specified last month. Regardless of their participation at the rally raid level, the 47-year-old Qatari will be reunited with the WRC after a long absence. His most recent participation was in 2015, when he was WRC2 champion. In turn, his last test in the largest class was in Catalonia 2013, with a Ford M-Sport team.

Toyota Gazoo Racing WRC director Tommi Makinen told the Motorsport News site that his team was ready to deliver an additional fourth car in time for the Córdoba date. Regarding this project, the Finn declared: "We are in talks with Nasser, although it is not yet decided. But we have prepared ourselves to be ready for the Rally of Argentina. "

However, Makinen quickly clarified that Al-Attiyah will not compete with Toyota's colors and will not be registered under the name of the Japanese brand. This was clarified to take distance from the previous experiences of the Qatari with Citroën in 2012 and M-Sport in 2013, opportunities in which he used official cars of both teams.
"Nasser is a private pilot," said Makinen. "The fourth car will not be official, as we will only continue with three vehicles. But if we are going to prepare and direct your vehicle. We will try to get your car to be located next to ours in the service park so that it can help us with the logistics and the necessary support ".

Regarding the program that Al-Attiyah will have, Makinen declared: "We aim for five or six dates. We would start with Argentina and then with Portugal, Sardinia, Germany and Spain. It would be good to have Nasser with us from the commercial point of view and also for his experience "

https://motorbox7.wordpress.com/2018/02/22/al-attiyah-disputaria-el-rally-de-argentina-con-un-toyota/

tr4m
23rd February 2018, 05:26
oh ok...can you post the original link then? i couldnt find it.

https://www.redbullcontentpool.com/fiawrc/AP-1US9FP84N1W11

Duvel
23rd February 2018, 06:14
Once again, Nasser Al-Attiyah is close to re-linking with the World Rally. On this occasion, the Qatari could start a partial program of five dates from the Rally of Argentina (April 26 to 29). The double winner of the Dakar will use a fourth Toyota Yaris WRC that the Japanese brand plans to have ready for the Cordoba date. However, the head of the team, Tommi Makinen, clarified that the participation of the 2015 WRC2 champion will be private, without factory backing.

Al-Attiyah is no stranger to the Japanese brand, as he has driven a Hilux Toyota Gazoo South Africa in the last two editions of the Dakar and his best result was the second place specified last month. Regardless of their participation at the rally raid level, the 47-year-old Qatari will be reunited with the WRC after a long absence. His most recent participation was in 2015, when he was WRC2 champion. In turn, his last test in the largest class was in Catalonia 2013, with a Ford M-Sport team.

Toyota Gazoo Racing WRC director Tommi Makinen told the Motorsport News site that his team was ready to deliver an additional fourth car in time for the Córdoba date. Regarding this project, the Finn declared: "We are in talks with Nasser, although it is not yet decided. But we have prepared ourselves to be ready for the Rally of Argentina. "

However, Makinen quickly clarified that Al-Attiyah will not compete with Toyota's colors and will not be registered under the name of the Japanese brand. This was clarified to take distance from the previous experiences of the Qatari with Citroën in 2012 and M-Sport in 2013, opportunities in which he used official cars of both teams.
"Nasser is a private pilot," said Makinen. "The fourth car will not be official, as we will only continue with three vehicles. But if we are going to prepare and direct your vehicle. We will try to get your car to be located next to ours in the service park so that it can help us with the logistics and the necessary support ".

Regarding the program that Al-Attiyah will have, Makinen declared: "We aim for five or six dates. We would start with Argentina and then with Portugal, Sardinia, Germany and Spain. It would be good to have Nasser with us from the commercial point of view and also for his experience "

https://motorbox7.wordpress.com/2018/02/22/al-attiyah-disputaria-el-rally-de-argentina-con-un-toyota/

Would be great news to see a well driven wrc in addition to the works drivers!

A FONDO
23rd February 2018, 09:15
He has lost his speed though. Don't expect podiums or anything like that. Rather something like Henning in 2011.

N.O.T
23rd February 2018, 09:33
He has lost his speed though.

You cannot lose things you never had...

AnttiL
23rd February 2018, 09:56
He has lost his speed though. Don't expect podiums or anything like that. Rather something like Henning in 2011.

I'm expecting Henning 2018 speed.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd February 2018, 18:08
Qualification Stage to be revived ?

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/wrc-qualifying-system-could-be-revived/

Simmi
23rd February 2018, 18:20
Qualification Stage to be revived ?

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/wrc-qualifying-system-could-be-revived/

Snap decision off the back of a single event.

er88
23rd February 2018, 19:25
The championship leader running first on the road is rooted in the history of the WRC, and past champions have had to deal with it. It's the same for everybody. What's more, most gravel events are done with the major cleaning after 3stages in the morning loop.

Sweden was exceptionally bad, a perfect storm of having the most snow in years and also the big effect of the national rally running narrower tyres. I hope it's left the way it Is, the WRC is at its most competitive in over 15yrs so leave things for now. The best driver will still win the title at the end of the year (big mechanical issues aside) and that's all that matters...

Andre Oliveira
23rd February 2018, 19:32
http://www.wrc.com/factbook/2018/epaper/ausgabe.pdf

https://scontent.fopo2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28467739_2039257752770308_3594886237938703153_n.jp g?oh=f7b2e751a1731e92dc20c30f793cf3d0&oe=5B083275

ESTR
23rd February 2018, 19:32
Again always Ogier complaining, no one else is that loud than him. He will play that thing smart too. He will be slow on purpose. If the thing will be for reverse order then he will be on purpose 3rd or fourth (we all know why).

Essaj
23rd February 2018, 19:33
To be fair, why shouldn't the qualification stage come back? Gaps between the teams and drivers are closer than they have been in many, many years.
Also this would make shakedown way more interesting for spectators + starting position selection would be good content to stream.
Rallies today seem to come more and more down to the starting order and in some events being the championship leader is a way too big of a disadvantage.
I myself give a big thumbs up to a qualification stage.

KiwiWRCfan
23rd February 2018, 19:46
Rallies today seem to come more and more down to the starting order and in some events being the championship leader is a way too big of a disadvantage.
I myself give a big thumbs up to a qualification stage.
and in some events road surface always give the championship leader a big big advantage on day 1. In some events including Sweden weather conditions determine if first on road on any day is an advantage or disadvantage. It balances itself out over a year. Titles are won by beating your closest rivals regularly throughout season
I myself believe the current road order regulations are working very well across entire season. The regulations are about season long fairness.
Personally I think a return to qualifying would be a backward step benefiting a few of the strongest drivers and curtail the development of new drivers. The current depth of drivers is partially due to success of the current road order regulations. If road order regulations are to be reviewed I would hope it would be with a view to (a) what is best over entire season and (b) do they support growing depth of talent.

Essaj
23rd February 2018, 20:16
and in some events road surface always give the championship leader a big big advantage on day 1. In some events including Sweden weather conditions determine if first on road on any day is an advantage or disadvantage. It balances itself out over a year. Titles are won by beating your closest rivals regularly throughout season

Fair points, But qualification would do just this and drivers would need to push during the shakedown which would add more value to the sport.

I myself believe the current road order regulations are working very well across entire season. The regulations are about season long fairness.
Personally I think a return to qualifying would be a backward step benefiting a few of the strongest drivers and curtail the development of new drivers. The current depth of drivers is partially due to success of the current road order regulations. If road order regulations are to be reviewed I would hope it would be with a view to (a) what is best over entire season and (b) do they support growing depth of talent.

Strong drivers are strong for a reason and they shouldn't be punished for being good and since now we have many drivers who are purely super fast and are all capable of winning even without a help of a starting position. it was different when Citroen and Loeb were dominating the sport and rest of the competition needed all the help available to have any change.
Talented drivers will always be able to show their potential and a good result would worth even more.

Like in F1 the races would be way more entertaining if they started in reversed championship order but does the fast guys really deserve it? no.

AnttiL
23rd February 2018, 20:22
The championship leader running first on the road is rooted in the history of the WRC, and past champions have had to deal with it.

Up until 1994 the previous year winner always started first, with the rest of the order being decided by the organizers. Another thing about that is that the rallies were longer, with the opening day mattering less in the starting order. But then again, there was no reversed starting order for the following days, the rally leader had to open the road.

Also, I remember lots of tactical penalties and stopping at the finish line from the late 90's Rally Finland when the opening day was very short and no one wanted to finish first because the second day would be long and crucial and no one wanted to start first.

SubaruNorway
23rd February 2018, 20:40
Quali on shakedown wouldn't make it better if it's in the same format as before with all cars only running 3 times, they are pushing now so it's still good to watch, i even got 3 offs. And it would just push the problem over on the up and coming guys with less testing and not as much confidence to push already on shakedown.

KiwiWRCfan
23rd February 2018, 20:52
Quali on shakedown wouldn't make it better if it's in the same format as before with all cars only running 3 times, they are pushing now so it's still good to watch, i even got 3 offs. And it would just push the problem over on the up and coming guys with less testing and not as much confidence to push already on shakedown.

Exactly "it would just push the problem over on the up and coming guys with less testing and not as much confidence"

rallyfun
23rd February 2018, 20:54
Ogier has big mouth when things go not to his advantage but he's quiet otherwise. There's perception as if he's a scapegoat of the system and many people feel sorry for this guy. He was happy to go first in Monte and get all rubbish from the side of the road for others, he'll be happy in Mexico, Corsica, Germany etc. There will be no complains whatsoever in most rallies but still some people think he needs to do extra effort. That's the name of the game, you sweep the road in some rallies others sweep for you in some rallies. Fair solution would be to start all privateers first (there are always there).

AL14
23rd February 2018, 23:16
This formula is ideal. The disadvantage is limited to the morning of the 1st day and a still a bit in the afternoon. And only in those round where being first is a disadvantage.
Beside that, Monte, Corsica, Galles, Germany, Sweden with few snow and any other round if rains is an advantage for the first in the road. It means that more likely, 5 events (40%...) will be an advantage for who open the road.

Ogier is just boring, no wonder why even french people in this forum don't like him. And as far as I know, french people love everything that is even barely french...
I wonder if he talks about it with his wife as well: "my love Seb come to me" "yes honey, you know it's been hard weekend opening the road, I need comfort", "please let people get in before us in the supermarket, it makes me feel good to enter the supermarket after them".

racerx1979
23rd February 2018, 23:21
Ogier will then need a pre qualifying qualify lap because what if he is first on the road for qualifying hehe :D

Fast Eddie WRC
24th February 2018, 13:14
Sweden was exceptionally bad for the first cars on the road - more snow fell, one stage wasnt totally ploughed and then the Historics ruined the second runs.

Tanak also suffered and complained, not just Ogier.

If people think its fair that a world champion should be down in 10th through no fault of his own, then I dont.

I'm a purist and think the best driver should usually win and not be handicapped to help the others compete.

Having a QS seems the fairest system.

SubaruNorway
24th February 2018, 14:06
You can't do anything about the weather, 1st run of Röjden was fine until 30min before when it started snowing heavily.
I just think Ogier didn't handle the conditions very well, when the 2nd car on the road can win the first stage on Friday 12 sec ahead of Ogier and 6sec in front of the 2nd fastest it couldn't have been that bad...

Watson
24th February 2018, 14:46
Sweden was exceptionally bad for the first cars on the road - more snow fell, one stage wasnt totally ploughed and then the Historics ruined the second runs.

Tanak also suffered and complained, not just Ogier.

If people think its fair that a world champion should be down in 10th through no fault of his own, then I dont.

I'm a purist and think the best driver should usually win and not be handicapped to help the others compete.

Having a QS seems the fairest system.

Some people rather sadistically like to see Ogier struggle and would like him to continously having a hard time and are therefore reacting to his complaints by calling him a wuss. If it hit their favourite driver they'd be reacting very differently. You know who you are.

Rallyper
24th February 2018, 14:52
I think in the case of Ogier vs. Rally Sweden it was more of the fact he had given up even before the rally started. Like SubaruNorway says the conditions wasn´t pending much.

Tarmop
24th February 2018, 18:24
You can't do anything about the weather, 1st run of Röjden was fine until 30min before when it started snowing heavily.
I just think Ogier didn't handle the conditions very well, when the 2nd car on the road can win the first stage on Friday 12 sec ahead of Ogier and 6sec in front of the 2nd fastest it couldn't have been that bad...

But after that it all went downhill for SS1 & 2 winner also. When the day ended, last years podium was last (Evans and Solberg excluded).

GravelBen
24th February 2018, 19:31

If you're really a purist then the leader should be first on the road, anything else is artificial tampering. ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
25th February 2018, 14:30
If you're really a purist then the leader should be first on the road, anything else is artificial tampering. ;)

Qualifying would be fairer.

Simmi
25th February 2018, 17:12
I definitely favour things remaining as they are. I especially dislike these knee-jerk reactions just because we got an exceptionally snowy Sweden for a change. Hardly grounds to rip up the rulebook. It's been said many times before, but in a world of DRS, success ballast the like, the WRC has a very nice natural handicap in the road order. It's also backed up by tradition. And I like the variation that weather and different surfaces bring.

That said I can see both sides. From a promoter standpoint I could definitely see the attraction in returning to qualifying - especially with Shakedown now being broadcast over their channels. It's much more of a spectacle. The WRC is in a new age of competitiveness too so it's a good time to bring it back. The only problem is if Ogier wins another couple of titles people will call for it to be binned off again.

denkimi
26th February 2018, 07:54
I think in the case of Ogier vs. Rally Sweden it was more of the fact he had given up even before the rally started. Like SubaruNorway says the conditions wasn´t pending much.
I had the same inpression. He just lost way too much time compared to those right behind him to blame it only on being first on the road.

Franky
26th February 2018, 08:54
The only way we can get equal road conditions is when we move everything into virtual world. I personally strongly dislike qualification in rallying as it really doesn't make it any more equal. Just a small select group benefit and everyone else will suffer anyway. So I really hope that this stupid knee jerk reaction fades away fast before anyone does something stupid.

Andre Oliveira
26th February 2018, 09:12
So a rule that penalize allways the same is good?

denkimi
26th February 2018, 10:58
What we could do is send some ex-professional driver in a wrc as 0 car to open the road. That way nobody fighting has to be first on the road.

Although i think ogier would still make the same complaints.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th February 2018, 11:11
Qualifying has been used in the ERC with no issues. Why should two FIA Series (WRC and ERC) have different systems ?

Franky
26th February 2018, 11:37

And what would be different with quali stage? More or less the same (slow) drivers would get the worst conditions on every single stage then

Fast Eddie WRC
26th February 2018, 11:56
And what would be different with quali stage? More or less the same (slow) drivers would get the worst conditions on every single stage then

Have to penalise the slow not the fast, or what is the motivation to improve ?

AnttiL
26th February 2018, 11:59
I think this is an everlasting debate as long as some of us just want the best drivers to be able to win all events if they truly are the best, and some of us want the series to remain even and interesting with more different winners and chances for new drivers.

Hartusvuori
26th February 2018, 12:24
Pure selfish spectator point of view: QS is bollocks, be it WRC or ERC.

dimviii
26th February 2018, 13:35

he is not penalised always.At plenty of rallies has an advantage.

PLuto
26th February 2018, 13:46
Have to penalise the slow not the fast, or what is the motivation to improve ?

With actual system and without qualify, sometimes is penalised slow, sometimes is penalised fast. With qualify, always is penalised slow...

Myrvold
26th February 2018, 16:48

Yes, I am a broken record.

Look at Sunday, same issue on run 2 for the first cars. No Historic class there. It wouldn't have mattered if Historics were in the rally or not.

Mirek
26th February 2018, 17:33
There are two questions which everyone should answer in his head before he takes any stance to this topic.

Do I want a super fair regulations under which the best guy keeps winning all the time untill the point when there is nobody left competing with him and nobody cares anyway?

or

Do I want an intresting competition with many different winners, surprises and stories to talk about even when it means a lot tougher job for the best ot win the title?

KiwiWRCfan
26th February 2018, 17:36
I think this is an everlasting debate as long as some of us just want the best drivers to be able to win all events if they truly are the best, and some of us want the series to remain even and interesting with more different winners and chances for new drivers.

perfect summary

er88
26th February 2018, 18:20
The best driver will still win the championship though (provided they dont have a run of poor car reliability), and at the end of the day that's what matters most. It's a fascinating element our sport has that others don't, and it's a skill to see who can cope with it the best throughout a year too.

Even on Sweden which was an extreme case, Meeke and Seb didn't deal with running near the front well. Whereas Tanak was superb on Friday morning, and Neuville did an incredible job all rally (demolishing Andreas on his 'home' rally, who had a much better starting position).

I personally don't think we'd even be having this discussion had it not been for the national rally anyway, which was a rally specific case due to those cars running narrower tyres.

I also get a sense that some people want changes as it would suit their favourite driver/team now, instead of what's best for the sport overall.

BigWorm
26th February 2018, 18:39
I thought QS was quite okay, but so is the leading driver to sweep the road first day. Sometimes it's beneficial, sometimes not. It was total bollocks when Ogier had clean for two days though and that was solely out to get Ogier and noone else (it was actually quite disgusting from the FIA to implement that).

Even with the system which let's the leading driver to do some road cleaning, the best drivers tend to end up in the battle for the title anyway. Ogier has won titles when being first on the road for a whole season.

dimviii
26th February 2018, 18:48
I thought QS was quite okay,.

even QS,isnt fair at every rally,pending to conditions.We have seen many times,that some times first cars have an advantage.

stefanvv
26th February 2018, 19:08
super fair regulations under which the best guy keeps winning all the time

So You admit the rules are not fair then.

The question I'm asking myself though is: Do I want to watch pale competition (like we had in 2017) and the world champion wins only 2 rallies, in the rest he is almost invisible. Or do I want all drivers to push their cars to the limits, something to worth watch for?

PLuto
26th February 2018, 19:18

The question I'm asking myself though is: Do I want to watch pale competition (like we had in 2017) and the world champion wins only 2 rallies, in the rest he is almost invisible. Or do I want all drivers to push their cars to the limits, something to worth watch for?

You have more chances to see this drivers to push their cars to the limit with actual system. If you will make it easier for them, they will dont need to push so much.

dimviii
26th February 2018, 19:32

world champion won only 2 rallies and was invisible,with a record of less stage wins,due to didnt find the feeling with the fiesta.Not because start position.
it wasnt the first year he was cleaning the road.

stefanvv
26th February 2018, 21:25
I forgot to mention that with QS the best drivers will be in (almost) equal condition. My post doesn't concern Ogier solely, but also Tanak, Neuville, Latvala, Meeke, etc.

stefanvv
26th February 2018, 21:29
You have more chances to see this drivers to push their cars to the limit with actual system. If you will make it easier for them, they will dont need to push so much.

Sorry, but You can't push the car to the limits by cleaning the road and only risking only going off, that surely be a spectacle only for the kids. The cars and drivers now are more equal with similar road conditions, road cleaning does matter more if the cars are faster and more adjustable.

Mirek
27th February 2018, 08:30

Actually not. Current rules are fair as well - simply because they are given and fixed well ahead so everyone knows how they work. They make it tougher for the leading crew for sure but for every leading crew. It doesn't matter which one it is at the given moment. They have to cope with the same conditions - and that is fair.

Red bull
27th February 2018, 11:34
Kenya Safari rally launch. https://youtu.be/Y6t1GvNPJHQ

Timmy
27th February 2018, 12:19
I might be a little late to the party but I'll give my opinion on the current system vs the proposed QS.
The first and foremost thing you have to ask yourself is do we really need this artificial excitement mentioned previously that gives the weaker drivers a chance to win?
QS might favor the faster drivers, but it is giving the drivers a chance to fight among themselves on as fair as a playing ground it gets.
Taking into consideration that as far as I can tell the drivers, and cars for that matter, are as equal as they've ever been, it might be the perfect time to at least consider it.
While I agree that the current system mixes up the results and keeps it more unpredictable, I don't think we should handicap top drivers just to give the slower ones a chance to catch up.
In rallying often things that are out of the driver's control happen which will give the younger and more inexperienced drivers a chance to raise to the occasion, even without the boost from current system.

AL14
27th February 2018, 13:10
I think there are a couple of things we are not giving the right attention

1) Rules does not penalize always the same driver, they penalize the first crew in the general ranking.

2) Rules does not penalize always the crew who open the road. As said before Monte, Germany, Corsica, Galles, Sweden with few snow and every gravel rally with rain are an advantage for that crew. It means that in almost 5 events out of 13 there is not a penalization. It is 40% of the whole championship, it's not exceptional.
The difference is that at these events nobody at the end of the road order is crying the hell out of him at the end of the stages.

3) As we all said Sweden was exceptional, in normal condition on gravel rallies the leading driver will sufer from road order mainly in the first 3 stages of the first leg. Friday afternoon is quite better and on saturday the situation is much more balanced. In 2014, Ogier was capable to win a lot of events with these rules, even Sardinia.

focus206
27th February 2018, 14:11
The first and foremost thing you have to ask yourself is do we really need this artificial excitement mentioned previously that gives the weaker drivers a chance to win?

A qualifying stage is much more "artificial" than making the championship leaders drive first on the stages, since it has always been like that in rallying. In the past, instead of having the championship leader drive first, they had the previous year's winner doing so, but anyway all top drivers were at the top of the running order and the slower drivers drove after them.
I don't mind a QS, but saying that this running order is unfair and artificial (as if it was created to make things more even, which was not) is just wrong.