PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & Rumours 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

deephouse
1st November 2018, 19:33
I voted for Loeb and his comeback to the the stars right away and shit all others in the pants despite not driving much that C3.

BigWorm
1st November 2018, 19:34
If he was good enough to win it last season then it's a no brainer this season as well.

Allez Andruet
1st November 2018, 19:45
I think this year serves as a perfect example of a season when the fastest one - by far - doesn't win the title (pending something unthinkable happens in Australia).

Essaj
1st November 2018, 19:46
Dumb that there is no WRC2 drivers there. Jan Kopecky won his first WRC2 title with 5 wins out of 6 and even has 17 WRC points. Kalle also had a pretty spectacular season.
For me the driver of the year is still Tanak but both Jan and Kalle deserved to be in the selection IMO.

AnttiL
1st November 2018, 20:48
I think this year serves as a perfect example of a season when the fastest one - by far - doesn't win the title (pending something unthinkable happens in Australia).

Remember 1992?

Allez Andruet
1st November 2018, 20:56
Remember 1992?

Indeed, sure I do ;)

N.O.T
1st November 2018, 22:21

last year the fastest did not win as well...

stefanvv
1st November 2018, 23:19

Define "fastest one".

Allez Andruet
2nd November 2018, 04:37
Define "fastest one".

How's "Ott Tänak" for a definition?

mknight
2nd November 2018, 05:14
The quickest and relatively reliable indicator is the number of stage wins. It's not perfect, mainly due to road cleaning effects, but it's also better now when drivers don't know splits.

AnttiL
2nd November 2018, 06:23
Another point about Ott is that he hasn't really had a 'traditional' off this season. The Sweden one was quite bizarre and we can argue whether he broke the car by driving too fast in Portugal, Sardegna and Wales, or the tyre in Catalunya, but he hasn't ruined a rally by putting the car off the road, like Ogier and Neuville have done.

stefanvv
2nd November 2018, 08:32
How's "Ott Tänak" for a definition?

That could be example, but certainly not a "definition".

The quickest and relatively reliable indicator is the number of stage wins. It's not perfect, mainly due to road cleaning effects, but it's also better now when drivers don't know splits.

Yes, that could be good indicator. Even if we take away 1/3 of Tanak's stage wins due to road cleaning, he has still more than Neuville. And 1/3 is a lot.

mknight
2nd November 2018, 10:24
Another point about Ott is that he hasn't really had a 'traditional' off this season. The Sweden one was quite bizarre and we can argue whether he broke the car by driving too fast in Portugal, Sardegna and Wales, or the tyre in Catalunya, but he hasn't ruined a rally by putting the car off the road, like Ogier and Neuville have done.
Can't quite agree. Sardinia was "traditional" off.
Neuville has one in Finland + timeloss in GB.
Ogier has Portugal+Tur.

Not listing Monte as most had small offs there and the timeloss depended on how many spectators were nearby.

AnttiL
2nd November 2018, 10:39
Jumping from an artificial jump, staying on the road, not hitting a stone or anything on the road, but breaking the radiator is a traditional rallying crash for you? OK then...but 2 for Ogier and 3 for Neuville is still more than 1 for Tänak.

Allez Andruet
2nd November 2018, 11:02
That could be example, but certainly not a "definition".
I tried to be clever but obviously failed in that attempt.

stefanvv
2nd November 2018, 13:22
I tried to be clever but obviously failed in that attempt.

Well I'm not n.o.t. to judge people's mind capabilities and throw random insults. Just wanted to know which indicator(s) makes a driver indisputable fastest as there are so many variables and circumstances, that I can never claim certain driver has been fastest 100%.

AL14
2nd November 2018, 14:04
It's full of examples in the history of rally of fastest drivers who don't win championships. It's because Rally is not just about being faster.
And I'm not referring to Tanak this year, it's more general. Me too I would have voted for Tanak.

Tarmop
2nd November 2018, 14:11
Jumping from an artificial jump, staying on the road, not hitting a stone or anything on the road, but breaking the radiator is a traditional rallying crash for you? OK then...but 2 for Ogier and 3 for Neuville is still more than 1 for Tänak.

Neuville should have been more careful in Turkey also Ogier almost had to go rally2 with his wishbone change. And GB gearbox breaking because of a spin...and going into a ditch in Corsica...and punctiouring in Germany due to a collision.

stefanvv
2nd November 2018, 14:13
Putting Tanak aside, what is more interesting Ogier has not been faster even than Neuville, and that without having to clean the road half the season. So yes, it's rally and why we love it, being fast most of the time couldn't pay off at the end. It's more about being tactic.

deephouse
2nd November 2018, 15:04
What if we go in another direction of arguing about the slowest driver out there. Please don't count Qassimi, Block and other one off-s.

WRC1
2nd November 2018, 15:40
What if we go in another direction of arguing about the slowest driver out there. Please don't count Qassimi, Block and other one off-s.

without a doubt: Mikkelsen... sorry for him but true

jbmarcus21
2nd November 2018, 15:55
RallyJapan (Shinshiro) under observation this wkend as candidate event by FIA members Michèle Mouton & Timo Rautiainen + Oliver Cesla ► http://bit.ly/2zs4NSu

Allez Andruet
2nd November 2018, 17:23
Well I'm not n.o.t. to judge people's mind capabilities and throw random insults. Just wanted to know which indicator(s) makes a driver indisputable fastest as there are so many variables and circumstances, that I can never claim certain driver has been fastest 100%.

Easy now, it wasn't meant as an offence.

For me the fact that Tänak has absolutely smashed everyone on the number of fastest stage times tells enough. And ofcourse there are numerous variables. But, in our sport, we'll never be able to eliminate all those might-be-factors. That's why I tend to respect the statistics.

mknight
2nd November 2018, 17:40
without a doubt: Mikkelsen... sorry for him but true
Using stage wins Evans is far slower (14 vs 3). The other drivers with fewer typically didn't do as many rallies, those that did almost as many are Suninen - 3, Breen - 7.

If you look at rally lead in addition to that Mikkelsen with 11 has significantly more stages in lead than Latvala (6) and Lappi (1). Evans and Suninen have 0, Breen 2.

So without a doubt he is at worst 4th from the bottom, without even trying to do a detalied comparison with the part time drivers (Østberg, Paddon, Sordo).

stefanvv
2nd November 2018, 18:36
Easy now, it wasn't meant as an offence.

I never actually thought it was. You looked more self critical than anything else.

For me the fact that Tänak has absolutely smashed everyone on the number of fastest stage times tells enough. And ofcourse there are numerous variables. But, in our sport, we'll never be able to eliminate all those might-be-factors. That's why I tend to respect the statistics.

Statistics is a bitch. After 20 years no one would care who had the record number of stage times, but who was the champion. But don't worry, me too believe Tanak's time will come;) Almost sure it'll be next year already.

AnttiL
2nd November 2018, 19:16
The problem with this kind of votings is that a driver alone cannot win a championship. He needs the car and the co-driver and the whole team with him. It's difficult to single out the best driver or the best car or the best co-driver when some combinations seem to work better than others.

Allez Andruet
2nd November 2018, 19:28
Statistics is a bitch. After 20 years no one would care who had the record number of stage times, but who was the champion.
Well, it wasn't actually about who cares about what but how to define the fastest. Being a champ is one way to do it - but that's "statistics" as well, isn't it?

steve.mandzij
2nd November 2018, 20:21
Is there a way on ewrc to compare drivers? I wonder who would be up on head to head statistics between Evans and Mikkelsen. Both drivers have been way below expectations this year; Evans has just been nowhere near the speed he was purported to have with the Dmacks but he did get a nice looking podium in Spain. Mikkelsen, for me, has been far worse, and his wet tarmac speed was tragic.

stefanvv
2nd November 2018, 20:22
Well, it wasn't actually about who cares about what but how to define the fastest. Being a champ is one way to do it - but that's "statistics" as well, isn't it?

Sure, I still stand behind my statement giving someone as example (without even saying why) is not a "definition", I can give you dictionary link of that word, but You can use google Yourself I guess. Tanak himself certainly doesn't qualify to be in the dictionary as universal truth, it's more like to look behind fan glasses or call it how You wish, in the context of current world rally championship of course.

Anyway we're going off-topic for some time and might bore the people. Let's keep it on-topic.

Allez Andruet
2nd November 2018, 20:43
You can use google Yourself I guess.
Sorry, but I prefer Altavista.

NoFear85
2nd November 2018, 20:50
Is this “news and rumors” or who is the best/slowest/worst driver of the season? Stop with off

stefanvv
2nd November 2018, 20:57
Is this “news and rumors” or who is the best/slowest/worst driver of the season? Stop with off

I know who they are, but that's not news indeed.

Sorry, but I prefer Altavista.

I prefer astalavista.

dimviii
2nd November 2018, 22:48
Okay, maybe we'll put the whole article, huh? Stéphane Prévot: "Neuville has the pressure, I do not see him champion!"
Olivier de Wilde
Published on Friday 02 November 2018 at 11h19- Last updated on Friday 02 November 2018 at 12h23
Stéphane Prévot, quadruple winner of Condroz, former teammate of Bruno Thiry, shoulder this weekend Vincent Verschueren.
Real regional stage, Stéphane Prévot will take, Saturday, the start of the Rally Condroz for the 19th time. This year's Belgian champion Vincent Verschueren (Skoda Fabia No. 46), the Hutois is aiming for a fifth win after the four recorded alongside Bruno Thiry in 1997, 2000, 2001 and 2002.
Stephane, which was the most beautiful?
"Certainly the first with the Subaru Winfield: a kid's dream come true, we've dominated from one end to the other and it's certainly the one I've most celebrated. remembering 2001 with the Skoda Octavia at the end of a breathless sprint against Larry Cols' 206. We were more or less tied at the start of the last stage, and the funniest one will be the one celebrated at the wheel in 2002. RACB President John Goossens had died on Friday and we were told there would be a minute of silence and no champagne on the podium, not very happy for a win at Condroz, so Bruno told me I was going to remember that success, we had a 6 minute lead over Snijers, and from that moment my driver offered to take the wheel of the 206 WRC for the last special stage. was trained on the forward links to get used "You should have seen the heads of the people on arrival."
When was your most distant memory of Condroz?
"1979 with the arrival of Hannu Mikkola A world champion in Huy Wow I could not believe it I had gone to see him at the Grand Place a few steps away from home. I went for the first time in special, I was very impressed by the victory of Jean-Louis Dumont's Porsche Belga, I was 11 years old and I was already reading the map ... "
How do you end up with Verschueren?
"We've already played the Rallye de Wallonie twice, the last time in 2015 and it was pretty good, he told me at the time that his dream would be to do the Condroz with me. had contacted at the beginning of the year to support him during the season but I already had other commitments in rally-raid and the United States.After East Belgium, I sent him a message telling him a victory in Huy was worth as much as a title he had last year, and five days later, he called me to offer me the tub of Véronique Hostens who decided to anticipate a He's retired and offers me his place, he's a great guy and we have chances to win. "
In which language do you give the notes?
"In English because his French is very average and my Dutch is catastrophic."
What do you think of the 2018 course?
"It's a little better than 2017. There are more kilometers in the Condroz, and with Wallonia it's the most beautiful route in Belgium, because this year Spa was pitiful and the atmosphere is incomparable. As soon as the reconnaissance is over, there are people on the stages, at the Cabane, at the Strée quarry, and in the dry, and according to the forecasts, we are not going to see an anthology. it is not very complicated, but the fight will be more intense, with very tight gaps. "
Is spectator safety still a problem for Huy?
"The organizers have made tremendous efforts, it has nothing to do with twenty years ago, when the public formed a hedge and strayed about twenty meters in front of you. It was crazy, but there was no risk of zero, of course, but everything was done to limit the danger with big loopholes and an audience now well away from the road. "
Who do you point as the main opponents?
"This year, there are two foreign stars, WRC big names who are not at their first try at Huy since Kris Meeke will be in his third participation, while Stéphane Lefèbvre is four. will still be in the pace of Spain, they will be dangerous and fast but should be less regular than Kris Princen and I. The victory should come back to one of us 4. Adrian Fernémont showed some nice things last year here and this season, but I see it behind. "

"I am admiring Sébastien Loeb"
Prévot imagine Sébastien Loeb back with Ford in WRC in 2019.
Stéphane, your opinion on the victory of Sébastien Loeb in Spain at 44 years old?
"Fabulous!" "I'm admiring." This confirms that the experience is preponderant in rallying and that, with a few exceptions, it is useless to go and get young people and send them to the pipe. they have not already burned their wings trying to follow the tenors of the WRC? "
Who do you see sacred in a little over two weeks in Australia?
"It's quite paradoxical but I'm afraid for Ogier that the puncture in Neuville in Catalonia is a ... advantage for our compatriot.It is clear that Australia is the worst rally to open the road. And second is huge, now Thierry keeps saying that he does not have any worries with the pressure but I think it's a carapace, Ogier will be more serene, and then both can rejoice that Tanak had so much trouble at the end of the year with at least three dropouts that are not attributable to him because otherwise the championship would already be folded.To return to your question, I hope I'm wrong because it would obviously be nice and legitimate for our little rally-loving country to have its first world champion, but objectively, I think it will be for Ogier again.I must admit that the end of season Thierry Neuville is not terrible.
Is not this the year or never for Thierry?
"We said that last year, no, I do not think so because he's still young, now it's dangerous to have signed for three years, and I do not understand why he did that except for In 2019, the pair Ogier-Citroën will walk, for sure, and Tanak and Toyota will certainly be the favorites. "
We can not say that our countryman is much helped by his teammates ...
"Sure, I do not know what that Mikkelsen donkey is doing there, he's pitiful, how can they have signed a guy like this for two years?" If Hyundai loses the constructors title, it will be because of him. Thierry is alone to bring back the big points Dani Sordo has shown more beautiful things than Hayden Paddon He deserves a complete program The problem is that he is a civil servant When he has his contract in his pocket, he goes more or crumbles after a few specials. "
Imagine Loeb coming back for a full season?
"Certainly not at Citroën One of the first clauses of Ogier's contract must be to not have Loeb in the legs, I imagine that they are still in the same team, and now, instead of Malcolm Wilson, I will not let him go. He can create a surprise by offering him a ride with the help of Red Bull. "
Is not Loeb tied to PSA's life?
"What else can Citroën offer him besides being an ambassador?" Loeb does not want to spend ten months on his boat and open concessions.
Who do you think are the most promising young people in the WRC?
"The three Finns thrown by Joukki Teemu Suninen is promising even if he made a rally in Spain of m ... We will also speak about Esapekka Lappi and especially Kalle Rovanpera." Given the connections of the father, I am convinced that he has a pre-contract with Toyota for a Yaris in 2020 or before. " "The notes in a video game"
Although he has run less than usual this season, his rally program being limited to three Subaru events in the States with Kris Atkinson replacing Travis Pastrana, Stéphane Prévot worked on notes for two months. "Code Master has contacted me to translate and dictate the notes for the new Dirt Rally game that will be released in February, and players in previous editions complained about the French-language notes made with Google Translate, so I was asked to adapt Phil Mills' notes (for the original English version) and to dictate them, with 12 rallies and 28 long specials to adapt, I've been busy for two months, and recently I've been ten days in England to record my voice. "

er88
3rd November 2018, 01:10
"Sure, I do not know what that Mikkelsen donkey is doing there, he's pitiful, how can they have signed a guy like this for two years?"

LOL, nearly spat my tea out reading that :D

Bit harsh though. Andreas has had a nightmare year and unfortunately it's got progressively worse, but when he signed for two years nearly everybody thought it was a good move for Hyundai. He had shown he was a good driver at VW and looked on the pace and comfortable with the i20 at the end of last season.

the sniper
3rd November 2018, 03:22
Prévot doesn't mince his words! :D He was also very funny/honest on the Absolute Rally podcast, particularly about Duval, Novikov and Lefebvre...

https://twitter.com/absolute_rally/status/1055387641586298881

mknight
3rd November 2018, 08:24
Prevot seems to make same mistake as steve on previous page, only looking at the last rally.
When Mikkelsen was signed for 2 years he just beat both Sordo and Paddon in GB by 1 and 2mins and was faster than each of them on Spain and AUS gravel. Wasn't hard choice for Hyundai.

This year his gravel speed is still top 4-5. 2 rallys ago he led Tänak by almost 40s. 1 rally ago he got 3 stage wins and fastest saturday leg of all drivers. Even in Spain his gravel speed was up with the others.
Tarmac is obviously a disaster.

Lead
3rd November 2018, 08:53
Tarmac is obviously a disaster.
Its funny because Mikkelsen wasnt actually slow on tarmac in the past. He actually loved tarmac and had a good pace on tarmac events starting early from his IRC days.

AnttiL
3rd November 2018, 08:59
And second in Germany last year with Citroen. It’s just a mismatch with the car, which is largely set up by Neuville.

Mk2 RS2000
3rd November 2018, 22:15
Interesting to read the comments regarding Mikkelsen and making allowances for the car either being set up for Neuville or having mechanical issues considering most people making these comments were not so generous to Paddon when he faced similar issues last year. I guess the difference is that Mikkelsen talks about the car issues in public where as Paddon didn't.

mknight
3rd November 2018, 23:11
Interesting to read the comments regarding Mikkelsen and making allowances for the car either being set up for Neuville or having mechanical issues considering most people making these comments were not so generous to Paddon when he faced similar issues last year. I guess the difference is that Mikkelsen talks about the car issues in public where as Paddon didn't.

The obvious difference is that Paddon has been driving Hyundai for a while and was very much competetive in 2016. It did not seem very likely that the concept and behavior of the car changed so much from 2016 to 2017. Also Paddon has never really been terribly slow in it, just a few places slower than before. In Mikkelsens' case the difference on tarmac from C3/Fabia/VW is on completely different level.

In either case it does seem that adapting the car to other drivers is not a priority at Hyundai. Will likely cost them manu title this year (last year they lost it on reliability (Sordo and Paddon cars) ).
Btw. at Toyota it also starts to look a bit similar with regards to Latvala and Lappi comments.

steve.mandzij
4th November 2018, 01:29
Btw. at Toyota it also starts to look a bit similar with regards to Latvala and Lappi comments.
It's quite clear Lappi isn't at all happy with the Yaris lately, but Latvala has sure gotten the hang of it already. The past few rallies have been positive for him regarding the "feeling" (bar a few times he's complained of understeer), especially on Spain's gravel. The Yaris has looked quite versatile so far in terms of setups.

AnttiL
4th November 2018, 07:47

Actually Paddon's 2017 is quite similar to Mikkelsen's 2018. No pace on tarmac and mechanical trouble on gravel events...except that Paddon also made some driving errors (Argentina, Sardegna).

mknight
4th November 2018, 09:24
It's quite clear Lappi isn't at all happy with the Yaris lately, but Latvala has sure gotten the hang of it already.
Spain was the first rally where he had top 3 pace all the time. GB was spotwise after others hit trouble.Turkey was 2nd place while being 5th fastest car. The comments about the car moving from him were made in march-april.

Actually Paddon's 2017 is quite similar to Mikkelsen's 2018. No pace on tarmac and mechanical trouble on gravel events...except that Paddon also made some driving errors (Argentina, Sardegna).
In general it's similar but Paddon does not have a single tarmac podium in WRC, he dropped from 4.-6. on -tarmac in 2016 to 6.-8. in 2017. Mikkelsen has 8 podiums including 1 win and dropped from 2nd (2-4. in 2016) to 6.-10.

wrc2017
4th November 2018, 14:02
Spain was the first rally where he had top 3 pace all the time. GB was spotwise after others hit trouble.Turkey was 2nd place while being 5th fastest car. The comments about the car moving from him were made in march-april.

In general it's similar but Paddon does not have a single tarmac podium in WRC, he dropped from 4.-6. on -tarmac in 2016 to 6.-8. in 2017. Mikkelsen has 8 podiums including 1 win and dropped from 2nd (2-4. in 2016) to 6.-10.

OK Stato...to be posting this at 9am on a Sunday morning....im actually quite concerned for your wellbeing.

GravelBen
4th November 2018, 23:41
It did not seem very likely that the concept and behavior of the car changed so much from 2016 to 2017.

You mean 2017 when the rules changed and the teams all built new cars with much more power, different drivetrain with active diff, much more aero etc, you didn't think that would change the behaviour of the car?

wia5958
4th November 2018, 23:50
OK Stato...to be posting this at 9am on a Sunday morning....im actually quite concerned for your wellbeing. lad hes blocked u he cant see ur posts. No need to keep badgering him. And just because its 9am for u doesnt mean its not 10,11,12 o clock for him

wrc2017
5th November 2018, 02:42
lad hes blocked u he cant see ur posts. No need to keep badgering him. And just because its 9am for u doesnt mean its not 10,11,12 o clock for him
OK Socrates.. thanks for explaining the concept of timezones. Stato will see the error of his ways soon.

AnttiL
5th November 2018, 10:09
https://twitter.com/GreensmithGus/status/1059389724828332032

Gus Greensmith posted a vague video with Poland as the location and a white Mk8 Fiesta test car with a big rear wing...

tommeke_B
5th November 2018, 10:12
https://twitter.com/GreensmithGus/status/1059389724828332032

Gus Greensmith posted a vague video with Poland as the location and a white Mk8 Fiesta test car with a big rear wing...

The car on the video is definitely the WRC.

jbmarcus21
5th November 2018, 11:26
M-Sport testing this driver for sure ... and maybe some rally in Fiesta WRC for 2019 season ..

AnttiL
5th November 2018, 11:33
M-Sport testing this driver for sure ... and maybe some rally in Fiesta WRC for 2019 season ..

I would say Greensmith and his backers are more interested in the car than the team is in Greensmith's performance.

Hartusvuori
5th November 2018, 11:56
I would say Greensmith and his backers are more interested in the car than the team is in Greensmith's performance.

I would say Greensmith and his backers are equally interested in the car as the team is interested in Greensmith's backers.

AnttiL
5th November 2018, 12:07
I would say Greensmith and his backers are equally interested in the car as the team is interested in Greensmith's backers.

Agreed!

jbmarcus21
6th November 2018, 17:17
new rumour grow up about Subaru could be return to WRC ► http://bit.ly/2qybY7U

janvanvurpa
6th November 2018, 19:51
new rumour grow up about Subaru could be return to WRC ► http://bit.ly/2qybY7U

With what car and with what motor? Their cars are huge bloated pigs, their motor is either the ancient big bore (92mm) EJ20 or the newer 2 liter FJ20 with 86mm bore and 86mm stroke.
Do they even make a 1600?

mknight
6th November 2018, 19:57
With what car and with what motor? Their cars are huge bloated pigs, their motor is either the ancient big bore (92mm) EJ20 or the newer 2 liter FJ20 with 86mm bore and 86mm stroke.

In Levorg:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_FB_engine

However I don't really see any model that would fit and also don't get why they should even be rumored to enter (except for that monte statement). I think people put too much into that statement, prbly it's something like VW running a few events in WRC2Pro...

SubaruNorway
6th November 2018, 20:00

Yeah the Levorg has a 1.6 Turbo. Always thought it was weird they didn't have a Fiesta size, but guess they didn't bother since they "borrowed" the Suzuki Ignis/Swift and Daihatsu Sirion for the Subaru Justy.

https://www.motor1.com/news/274702/subaru-hot-hatch-rumor/
Akio Toyoda apparently pushing Subaru to join

Mirek
6th November 2018, 20:04

Stock engines are completely irrelevant. WRC cars can and have specifically designed engine. It's beeen alllowed since 2011.

The issue is which base car would they use? I'm not familiar with Asian portfolio to tell the truth but here in CZ they don't sell anything suitable.

Gregor-y
6th November 2018, 21:00
Subaru makes a 1.6 but not an inline engine. Plus there's the weight distribution issue that always gets mentioned (though not by Audi fans). And why would Toyota want a competitor when they own a portion of Subaru? I don't think outside of some domestic cars under 1000 CCs they sell anything smaller in size than - or even the same size as - a Golf.

And it looks like all those kei models are from branches of Toyota and not made by Subaru itself.

TyPat107
6th November 2018, 21:56

THere was in article in Race Engine Tech or Rally Race Tech that those rules of thumb don't apply to a boxer engine. They tried it and sacrificed crankshaft stiffness or block strength which is why they stuck to the 75mm stroke.

I wouldn't think the timing doesn't seem great alongside the engine recall.

GravelBen
6th November 2018, 22:58
Subaru makes a 1.6 but not an inline engine. Plus there's the weight distribution issue that always gets mentioned (though not by Audi fans). And why would Toyota want a competitor when they own a portion of Subaru?

The weight distribution is probably the biggest issue that would prevent them being competitive (and they won't enter if they don't expect to be competitive).

A transverse engine can take advantage of the rules to be moved from its production positionfor better weight distribution and c.o.m in a way that can't be done with the longitudinal boxer layout. IIRC (hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct me) WRC rules say the crankshaft has to stay in the same position but the rest of the engine can be rotated around that - so a transverse inline engine can be more or less lying down behind the the crank in a place that would never be practical for a production car, but if you rotate a boxer engine around its crank you just end up with a vertical boxer instead of horizontal.

So unless they revise those rules to be fairer for different engine layouts (or Subaru make a new small hatch which isn't a boxer engine) I don't think we'll see Subaru come back.

ETA: Thinking about it some more, if they are developing a new small hatch as rumoured then it might not be a boxer anyway due to packaging for that size of car. Still not counting any chickens at this stage though...

RAS007
7th November 2018, 00:38

They should never have changed the design of the 1995 Impreza. Everything subsequent to it was......less than the original.

Gregor-y
7th November 2018, 00:56
John would say that about a Volvo 240, though. :)

And the older I get the more I think he may be right.

doubled1978
7th November 2018, 07:25
I saw an article somewhere about a new Subaru small hatchback for the European market coming.... I can't recall where tho.

Japé
7th November 2018, 08:33
Boxer engine sound is so essential part of Subaru brand that losing boxer engine from rally Subaru, would be then something else than Subaru. Otherwise rally should suit perfectly to brand that is outdoorsy and has been 4wd pioneers in car markets.

STI69
7th November 2018, 09:20
I saw an article somewhere about a new Subaru small hatchback for the European market coming.... I can't recall where tho.

https://rallysportmag.com/japanese-press-hints-at-wrc-return-for-subaru-in-2020/?fbclid=IwAR3qiyFYDi0NocecHlJxzjPvWrokWcbCyjc96NkF 2MRGH66Ym5e9uhfhw_M

logic
7th November 2018, 09:24

Yo do not need to have an engine that is 1.6 all of the WRC cars are billet blocks and the engine is not from a standard unit.

Gregor-y
7th November 2018, 15:20
Boxer engine sound is so essential part of Subaru brand that losing boxer engine from rally Subaru, would be then something else than Subaru.
I agree on the engine as a defining design feature but the sound came from the exhaust manifold arrangement. New Subarus sound like anything else these days. I'm surprised there's not more demand for an exhaust that will recreate the sound; maybe the enthusiast market isn't what it was fifteen years ago.

Tarmop
7th November 2018, 15:37
Well, they are big N/A familycars too...mostly. They sound like a boxer, but they`re civilized.

Simmi
7th November 2018, 19:02
Would love to see Subaru back. The brand has completely lost its identity - at least in the UK.

Duvel
8th November 2018, 05:06
Subaru and Mitsu should both come back, two iconic brands in rally history!
Both also had a lot of return from the sport I think, selling Lancers and imprezas.

skarderud
8th November 2018, 05:34
At least in Norway, thru the Petter Solberg years. 2003 and 2004 was 40% up from 2002.
Now, i dont know, but 70% down from 2002? Much lesser new cars on the road, i live in winter wonderland Lillehammer, snow 5-6 months a year. Even i has sold my Impreza and buyed a volvo xc60:)

Motorsport sells cars, when the marketingdepartment know how they do theire job!

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Tarmop
8th November 2018, 09:41
I don`t see motorsports selling cars TODAY, except racing. Maybe the brand itself, yes, but that`s also quite hard. People want SUVs, entertainment, economy, long warranty and a low monthly payment- when we aren`t talking about premium car. Also pretty hard to create cars for a petrolhead because of all the safety and eco demands. They all weigh a million because of many airbags and driveraids and cost a lot. Times when RS`s, STIs and Evos were popular from clubman events to grp n. are over, fun while it still lasts and hopefully the "oldtimers" are also maintained not only used and they`re around for some 10 years+.

Sulland
8th November 2018, 10:31
At least in Norway, thru the Petter Solberg years. 2003 and 2004 was 40% up from 2002.
Now, i dont know, but 70% down from 2002? Much lesser new cars on the road, i live in winter wonderland Lillehammer, snow 5-6 months a year. Even i has sold my Impreza and buyed a volvo xc60:)

Motorsport sells cars, when the marketingdepartment know how they do theire job!

Same happened with Citroen, when Petter had a stint with Xsara and C4, in private team.
Citroen Norway used Petter activly in commercials, and sold more cars.

Norm75
8th November 2018, 11:58
I agree on the engine as a defining design feature but the sound came from the exhaust manifold arrangement. New Subarus sound like anything else these days. I'm surprised there's not more demand for an exhaust that will recreate the sound; maybe the enthusiast market isn't what it was fifteen years ago.

This. Unequal length exhaust headers and single scroll turbo setup, what we get in UK, US and Europe sound very different from Japan spec with equal length headers, twin scroll setup. I don't recall the later wrc imprezas having so much burble, certainly nothing like the legacy's and early imprezas.

Gregor-y
8th November 2018, 13:51

Was it a black estate from the 90s with an STI front bumper? That and one of Solberg's cars at a museum were the only two Subarus I saw in Norway, both around Lillehammer.

skarderud
8th November 2018, 19:00
Was it a black estate from the 90s with an STI front bumper? That and one of Solberg's cars at a museum were the only two Subarus I saw in Norway, both around Lillehammer.Lokal? No, it was a dark grey hatcback:)
It is lots of Subarus around, mostly Forester, XV, and legacy.
It's atleast 6-7 WRX's around, some STIs too, a wellknown cameraguy has one:)

SubaruNorway
8th November 2018, 19:18
Was it a black estate from the 90s with an STI front bumper? That and one of Solberg's cars at a museum were the only two Subarus I saw in Norway, both around Lillehammer.

I live 20km south of Lillehammer with my 03 STI that Solberg used for some PR (6 Subaru's in my family), you might have spotted some video of mine running on two big screens in that museum with Solberg's 02 WRC ;)

Rally Power
8th November 2018, 20:19
I don`t see motorsports selling cars TODAY, except racing. Maybe the brand itself, yes, but that`s also quite hard. People want SUVs, entertainment, economy, long warranty and a low monthly payment- when we aren`t talking about premium car. Also pretty hard to create cars for a petrolhead because of all the safety and eco demands. They all weigh a million because of many airbags and driveraids and cost a lot. Times when RS`s, STIs and Evos were popular from clubman events to grp n. are over, fun while it still lasts and hopefully the "oldtimers" are also maintained not only used and they`re around for some 10 years+.

If we remind Lancia’s long agony after leaving the WRC, till nowadays almost extinction, it’s hard to agree with you; motorsport and Rally can still have positive effects on the auto industry, from R&D to marketing and sales. Besides, the current SUV fashion won’t last forever (a bit like the MPV’s in the 00’s) and most of those SUV’s are mainly Hatches on steroids, making possible to adapt them to rally.

Tarmop
8th November 2018, 21:22
Suv-s a passing trend...don't think so, new technology in roadcars yes...can't be said about motorsports in general. The amount of teams and the risk of their withdrawl says otherwise. Also roadcars are cheap, in comparison to wrc budget and car price.

Maui J.
8th November 2018, 22:13

For a manufacturer to invest in motorsport it is all about branding and brand awareness. It is a totally another form of advertising.
Possibly the old saying "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" may not be so true anymore but having a regular appearance in motorsport will constantly remind people of brands. When a buyer makes a decision to buy a new vehicle, those brands with the higher profile due to motorsport or just pure TV or print advertising will always be higher up the preferred list of options.
In a similar way to what happened in Norway regarding Petter & Subaru and the sales increases, that happened in NZ as well in the 1990s with Possum Bourne. He had a very high profile and was always associated with Subaru. Subaru sales here reflected that as well. Possum never won anything like Petter did but he did amazing things for Subaru NZ and its branding. Hayden Paddon is doing similar things, (not quite to the same extent though) with Hyundai NZ branding.

Tarmop
9th November 2018, 13:24
Subaru is anyway on a different level and good cars like STIs are honoured also today, second (4. 5th hand) with JDM verisons imported etc...much like any other car with a normal price tag and performance, regardless of its brand, but i don`t know one person who would run into the dealership and buy a new Yaris because of its success in WRC. Especially when you take into account things that matter...taxes, equipment, economy, warranty, monthly payment etc. Ofc there are some, but compared to the teams budget vs the profit from manuf. it and spare parts...

T16
9th November 2018, 14:50
Subaru is anyway on a different level and good cars like STIs are honoured also today, second (4. 5th hand) with JDM verisons imported etc...much like any other car with a normal price tag and performance, regardless of its brand, but i don`t know one person who would run into the dealership and buy a new Yaris because of its success in WRC. Especially when you take into account things that matter...taxes, equipment, economy, warranty, monthly payment etc. Ofc there are some, but compared to the teams budget vs the profit from manuf. it and spare parts...

They wouldn't use the WRC to gain exposure if they didn't think they were getting adequate return from it. They all do their sums. Some think it's a good investment and some (Ford as an example) don't.

Peugeot reckoned that the 206 WRC car accounted for 12% of 206 sales in Europe (granted - a different era, but still an incredible figure).

dodge33cymru
9th November 2018, 17:29
I've seen a lot of these N Performance Hyundais around in recent weeks in the UK, usually with the blue-grey WRC colouring. I think their brand image is improving. Obviously, not exclusively with WRC, but if WRC helps convert some 'petrolheads' opinions of the brand, they will likely be 'influencers' within a circle, so it's hard not to draw a minor correlation.

Is there a sporty model of the C3 or the Yaris?

tomhlord
9th November 2018, 18:32

No (C3), Yes (Yaris)

sonnybobiche
9th November 2018, 19:15
Anybody watch the Australia preview? There's a segment where they're talking about an FIA delegation sent to Japan. In the film we can see the Japanese, Ciesla, Mouton, LEHTINEN, a few others, but no Matton. Lehtinen, from what I recall, was expected to get the FIA Rallies director job before Matton swept in at the last second.

Anybody know anything more about this?

Norm75
9th November 2018, 20:08
I've seen a lot of these N Performance Hyundais around in recent weeks in the UK, usually with the blue-grey WRC colouring. I think their brand image is improving. Obviously, not exclusively with WRC, but if WRC helps convert some 'petrolheads' opinions of the brand, they will likely be 'influencers' within a circle, so it's hard not to draw a minor correlation.

Toyota Yaris GRMN (gazoo racing something or other)
1.8 litre supercharged engine as found in Lotus Elise, Sachs suspension, white body colour with graphics that have a hint of WRC car about it, so possibly the most rally *inspired* car that's been produced for a while.

* In essence, not execution.

AnttiL
13th November 2018, 05:42
https://rallysportmag.com/interviews-toyota-wrc-stars-ahead-of-rally-australia/

Nice interviews with the Toyota drivers. Lappi's recent bad mood could also be partially explained by him missing the family.

rallyfiend
13th November 2018, 06:37
Anybody watch the Australia preview? There's a segment where they're talking about an FIA delegation sent to Japan. In the film we can see the Japanese, Ciesla, Mouton, LEHTINEN, a few others, but no Matton. Lehtinen, from what I recall, was expected to get the FIA Rallies director job before Matton swept in at the last second.

Anybody know anything more about this?

I believe Jarmo Lehtinen is working for WRC Promoter these days.

Japé
13th November 2018, 15:10
I believe Jarmo Lehtinen is working for WRC Promoter these days.

In a what kind of position?

deephouse
13th November 2018, 16:35
Making money position.

redlancer555
13th November 2018, 16:51

When I 1st started taking my 15 year daughter to the WRC, she turned to me and said the Hyundai's was her favorite car of the year. Whereas I probably carried favoritism from the 70's and 80's and would look to the Fords and not consider a Hyundai.
Roll on 4 years and now she's just picked up a Hyundai I30N. Granted it is a fantastic car, but WRC had some influence as the only colour option she wanted was the rally blue or performance blue I think they call it. I also after watching the i20 for the last few years would have the I30n on a very short list next car change.
My perception of Yaris has changed and even I was looking at the Yaris GRNM as a possible replacement for the Wife's car but they've all sold out.

The manufacturers don't seem to market on the back off the WRC these days. Fiesta St did get an M-Sport make over but nothing official. Its only the Yaris that is the same model that gets the full treatment.
This is where i could see Hyundai being different and would imagine they'd do something on the back of a driver or manufacturers championship win.

Guess we are niche market these days or poor marketing.

racerx1979
13th November 2018, 18:13
When I 1st started taking my 15 year daughter to the WRC, she turned to me and said the Hyundai's was her favorite car of the year. Whereas I probably carried favoritism from the 70's and 80's and would look to the Fords and not consider a Hyundai.
Roll on 4 years and now she's just picked up a Hyundai I30N. Granted it is a fantastic car, but WRC had some influence as the only colour option she wanted was the rally blue or performance blue I think they call it. I also after watching the i20 for the last few years would have the I30n on a very short list next car change.
My perception of Yaris has changed and even I was looking at the Yaris GRNM as a possible replacement for the Wife's car but they've all sold out.

The manufacturers don't seem to market on the back off the WRC these days. Fiesta St did get an M-Sport make over but nothing official. Its only the Yaris that is the same model that gets the full treatment.
This is where i could see Hyundai being different and would imagine they'd do something on the back of a driver or manufacturers championship win.

Now that's a cool rumor.. j/k. I remember the old days when we had the TME Evo and Carlos Sainz GT4. They should do more of that.

Rally Power
13th November 2018, 22:14

Actually, that’s quite interesting. After reading your post I went to check the new F Type Rally YouTube video views and in just 2 days it has more than 25k; that’s quite impressive if we realize that in 13 monthes the i Pace electric racing car video has a total of 39k views.

Even more interesting is to realize that the WRC is the 3rd most popular motorsport series/events (2 wheels apart) in the social media, only (and largely) beaten by F1 and Nascar. The WRC is followed by the Dakar (also a bike and truck event), Le Mans/WEC and vacuum cleaner races (aka Formula E marketing sessions).

Yep, despite the huge (payed?) time and space in general and specialized media the FE has only one third of WRC Facebook likes and half of WRC Twitter followers. So, is Rallysport a niche market or is everybody being told to believe so?

SubaruNorway
13th November 2018, 22:54
Actually, that’s quite interesting. After reading your post I went to check the new F Type Rally YouTube video views and in just 2 days it has more than 25m; that’s quite impressive if we realize that in 13 monthes the i Pace electric racing car video has a total of 39m views.

Even more interesting is to realize that the WRC is the 3rd most popular motorsport series/events (2 wheels apart) in the social media, only (and largely) beaten by F1 and Nascar. The WRC is followed by the Dakar (also a bike and truck event), Le Mans/WEC and vacuum cleaner races (aka Formula E marketing sessions).

Yep, despite the huge (payed?) time and space in general and specialized media the FE has only one third of WRC Facebook likes and half of WRC Twitter followers. So, is Rallysport a niche market or is everybody being told to believe so?

Where did you find those video's? I'm seeing one with 26k...

sollitt
13th November 2018, 23:02
Even more interesting is to realize that the WRC is the 3rd most popular motorsport series/events (2 wheels apart) in the social media, only (and largely) beaten by F1 and Nascar.
Where do you find information to support this claim?

Rally Power
13th November 2018, 23:37
Where did you find those video's? I'm seeing one with 26k...

The views numbers were correct; I just forgot to convert the Portuguese m for the English k. Now, it's 26k for the FType and 39k for the iPace. i Pace video here: https://youtu.be/MVOmNnK-6T8

Btw, FB and Twitter figures can be checked on the series/events official pages. In FB case the numbers will immediatly appear on the google search: WRC 2.561.405 likes; FE 886.926 likes.

Simmi
14th November 2018, 08:22

Yes but the FE social accounts have only been in existence for a third of the time the WRC ones have. It takes time to grow that following. That FE growth is very impressive.

Jakem
14th November 2018, 09:11
Nicolas Gilsoul codriver of Neuville saying that their title winning change is 60% giving Ogier only 30% and Tanak 10%. Quite optimistic

focus206
14th November 2018, 10:24
Nicolas Gilsoul codriver of Neuville saying that their title winning change is 60% giving Ogier only 30% and Tanak 10%. Quite optimistic

Why are they obsessed with chance percentage? If it's to play "mind tricks" by showing they're confident, I doubt Ogier and Tanak give a damn about these fantasy percentages...

racerx1979
14th November 2018, 11:15
It's more mindset I believe. In order to win you must first believe you can win... I'm sure Ogier and Tanak believe the same.

Rally Power
14th November 2018, 12:35
Yes but the FE social accounts have only been in existence for a third of the time the WRC ones have. It takes time to grow that following. That FE growth is very impressive.

It may be impressive, but anyone can feel that FE growth is artificial, just like its races are. FE is mainly a marketing case study rather than a genuine motorsport form; the promoter, the FIA and the manus involved keep pushing the media to cover it in an inflated way; the general media does it because eco mobility is a trendy topic and the specialized media does it to survive, as they depend on manus.

In result of this, we have tradicional and popular motorport forms getting less media exposure, despite a real growing interest by the public on them, in WRC case mainly due to a fantastic new generation of WRC cars, a top driving level and a positive effort from rally organizers and the promoter.

No matter what mainstream media and marketing wizards are trying to sell, Rally still is and will remain to be a top motorsport form, with worldwide popularity and a lasting heritage.

PS: the F Type Rally video is now over the 30k views. Well done Jaguar!

redlancer555
16th November 2018, 11:14
It may be impressive, but anyone can feel that FE growth is artificial, just like its races are. FE is mainly a marketing case study rather than a genuine motorsport form; the promoter, the FIA and the manus involved keep pushing the media to cover it in an inflated way; the general media does it because eco mobility is a trendy topic and the specialized media does it to survive, as they depend on manus.

In result of this, we have tradicional and popular motorport forms getting less media exposure, despite a real growing interest by the public on them, in WRC case mainly due to a fantastic new generation of WRC cars, a top driving level and a positive effort from rally organizers and the promoter.

No matter what mainstream media and marketing wizards are trying to sell, Rally still is and will remain to be a top motorsport form, with worldwide popularity and a lasting heritage.

PS: the F Type Rally video is now over the 30k views. Well done Jaguar!

Or well done you :)

Jaguar appear to very good at marketing.

If as you say WRC is the 3rd most followed car motorsport after F1 and Nascar, then that puts it the top motorsport for cars that resemble the ones we see on the road.

So still don't get Ford Europe not pushing the wins last year, even more so as it wasn't a factory team. Putting Ken Block into the odd rally opens up new audiences, but don't see any marketing from Ford.
I'm sure the Scooby, Evo and Ford specials of the past help keep brand/car awareness. Would of thought a WRC Fiesta St on the outgoing model would of been produced if we were in the 1990's

Evan's comments on stage 6 confirm he's not got a ride next year.
Also seemed from the commentators that Ogier was mentioning and fighting his case to MW.

dupanton
16th November 2018, 11:46
Also on WRC+, Julian Porter (I think it was him) confirmed that Seb Marshall will be in the car with Meeke last year. From the comment of Becksy afterwards, it was obvious that he wasn't suppose to say this out loud.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2018, 14:32
Elfyn Evans stated how disappointed he was to have to concede time to Ogier in Australia, saying it was even more so as he doesnt have a seat for 2019.

Sounds like he knows he's not got the money or performances to get him a place next year and isnt able to show any prospective employer a good result in Aus either.

I think he may be only kept as a test driver by M-Sport and then perhaps have a role in the new Fiesta R5.

racerx1979
16th November 2018, 14:38
Elfynished Evans...

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2018, 15:28
He didnt seem to hold any grudges after SS6 and the position drop to help his team leader.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsGUxs7VsAANxhF.jpg:large

I hope Elfyn gets a drive of some kind next year.

Eli
16th November 2018, 15:34
He didnt seem to hold any grudges after SS6 and the position drop to help his team leader.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsGUxs7VsAANxhF.jpg:large

I hope Elfyn gets a drive of some kind next year.

Worst case scenario, WRC2? Shame for him anyhow....

EstWRC
16th November 2018, 15:37
some interesting bits in recent interviews with Tommi and Latvala in estonian media (at least for me)

ill start with Latvala

You have been in the same team with two title contenders, with Tänak and Ogier. How different they are?

Lets say Ogier doesnt focus so much on details as Tänak. Of course behind the wheel Ogier is very focused but out of the car he doesnt focus so much on little details. But they both are very similar, very determined and unbelievably hard workers. I have seen now that Tänak works on every little detail, he has his personal trainer, he is following his diet very very closely. It all starts from little things.

How did you come out of your low time this season?

By the way, for the first time in my career I had to use super-rally system, in five rallies! In fact, I could not finish two of these five - Corsica and Argentina. If you do not get a result in half a year, you will start to doubt. The only way to return is by concentrating and persuading yourself. First of all, I needed a top five result, so I got something to build on this result. But this requires faith. And it takes time.

Your renewal with Toyota was revealed only during the Welsh rally. Were you afraid that your contract would not be extended?

Of course. Spring was very scary time for me. If you had asked me before rally Finland, I would have replied to you that maybe I will not continue. After Kris Meeke's dismissal I was still behind him in the general standings. That was not the best time for me.

I thought then that now I'm next. Everyone has tough times, but the question is how long it lasts. Thinking of Thierry and Sebastien, Rally Finland's was a disaster for them, but in the Germany they were quik again. In Wales at one point it looked that Sebastien was out of the game but then he came back. However, this is the key to the world title. That the bad times dont last too long and you climb out of it quickly.

After Wales rally Citroën announced that Esapekka Lapp will be driving in their team besides Sebastien Ogier. Esapekka has said that Toyota he was no longer comfortable and the team did not pay enough attention to him. Do you agree? Do you also feel that Ott has attracted the attention of the entire team?

Personally, I have had the maximum team support, but I can not deny that when Ott arrived, things changed slightly. We knew that he was fast and the main focus now is more on him. This is a normal situation: if youre not the leading driver then less attention will be paid to you. Last year, we had no one that could compete on behalf of the world title. Now we have Ott. However, this isnt something new to me, since I've been teammates with Sebastien, but for Esapekka it was a completely new situation.

Do you already have a list of what changes have to be made on the car for next year?

We have already changed a few things before the last rally, and I am very happy about it. We tried to do everything in order to be completely satisfied with the car and I would be comfortable, but this journey has been long. Of course, there are still some nuances that should be corrected, but we say that the major changes have been made. And these have been important milestones.

What were these changes?

I can not tell you these details because this information is spreading very fast. Neuville will read this interview and put ideas behind his ear. However, I can say that we have hardly worked on the differentials. And, of course, on the suspension.

and now the Tommi part

Next year Toyota will have three leading-drivers - Tänak, Latvala and Meeke all want to win and to be World champions. Is it good if there is no number two and three in the team?

Latvala and Meeke are clever and experienced drivers and know how things are working. We had long discussions with them before signing about teamwork and how to succeed together. On the other hand, you never know how all this will fall out. I believe we can handle it. One of the reasons why I wanted Meeke myself - he is very famous in the rally world and especially in Europe. Rally fans love Meeke. He has many followers - the very first video where Meeke tested Toyota already got impressive number of viewers. So hiring Meeke is also a part of Toyota's reputation project design.

Do you want see to points or wins from Kris?

First of all points. Both Meeke and Latvala are at such a level that they can be on podium on every rally. But Ott can win every rally. So we can say that we have roles shared, we have the strongest and most experienced drivers, and a great opportunity to win both championships.
We start with Monte Carlo rally and let's see what the situation will be, and then decide. However, Meeke's "best before" is running out. Also, Latvala has been in the series for a very long time and im not sure how long he will continue.

The experts are saying that the supertalent Kalle Rovanpera will be in Toyota in 2020 and Tänak will continue.

There is no contract with Rovanpera yet and no new agreement has been signed with Ott. Unfortunately, because I want both to be in Toyota for a long time. On the other hand, it's clear that the earlier contracts are signed the better, everyone would have a secure future, tensions down, and a team could focus on full-time work.

AL14
16th November 2018, 16:19
some interesting bits in recent interviews with Tommi and Latvala in estonian media (at least for me)

ill start with Latvala

You have been in the same team with two title contenders, with Tänak and Ogier. How different they are?

Lets say Ogier doesnt focus so much on details as Tänak. Of course behind the wheel Ogier is very focused but out of the car he doesnt focus so much on little details. But they both are very similar, very determined and unbelievably hard workers. I have seen now that Tänak works on every little detail, he has his personal trainer, he is following his diet very very closely. It all starts from little things.

How did you come out of your low time this season?

By the way, for the first time in my career I had to use super-rally system, in five rallies! In fact, I could not finish two of these five - Corsica and Argentina. If you do not get a result in half a year, you will start to doubt. The only way to return is by concentrating and persuading yourself. First of all, I needed a top five result, so I got something to build on this result. But this requires faith. And it takes time.

Your renewal with Toyota was revealed only during the Welsh rally. Were you afraid that your contract would not be extended?

Of course. Spring was very scary time for me. If you had asked me before rally Finland, I would have replied to you that maybe I will not continue. After Kris Meeke's dismissal I was still behind him in the general standings. That was not the best time for me.

I thought then that now I'm next. Everyone has tough times, but the question is how long it lasts. Thinking of Thierry and Sebastien, Rally Finland's was a disaster for them, but in the Germany they were quik again. In Wales at one point it looked that Sebastien was out of the game but then he came back. However, this is the key to the world title. That the bad times dont last too long and you climb out of it quickly.

After Wales rally Citroën announced that Esapekka Lapp will be driving in their team besides Sebastien Ogier. Esapekka has said that Toyota he was no longer comfortable and the team did not pay enough attention to him. Do you agree? Do you also feel that Ott has attracted the attention of the entire team?

Personally, I have had the maximum team support, but I can not deny that when Ott arrived, things changed slightly. We knew that he was fast and the main focus now is more on him. This is a normal situation: if youre not the leading driver then less attention will be paid to you. Last year, we had no one that could compete on behalf of the world title. Now we have Ott. However, this isnt something new to me, since I've been teammates with Sebastien, but for Esapekka it was a completely new situation.

Do you already have a list of what changes have to be made on the car for next year?

We have already changed a few things before the last rally, and I am very happy about it. We tried to do everything in order to be completely satisfied with the car and I would be comfortable, but this journey has been long. Of course, there are still some nuances that should be corrected, but we say that the major changes have been made. And these have been important milestones.

What were these changes?

I can not tell you these details because this information is spreading very fast. Neuville will read this interview and put ideas behind his ear. However, I can say that we have hardly worked on the differentials. And, of course, on the suspension.

and now the Tommi part

Next year Toyota will have three leading-drivers - Tänak, Latvala and Meeke all want to win and to be World champions. Is it good if there is no number two and three in the team?

Latvala and Meeke are clever and experienced drivers and know how things are working. We had long discussions with them before signing about teamwork and how to succeed together. On the other hand, you never know how all this will fall out. I believe we can handle it. One of the reasons why I wanted Meeke myself - he is very famous in the rally world and especially in Europe. Rally fans love Meeke. He has many followers - the very first video where Meeke tested Toyota already got impressive number of viewers. So hiring Meeke is also a part of Toyota's reputation project design.

Do you want see to points or wins from Kris?

First of all points. Both Meeke and Latvala are at such a level that they can be on podium on every rally. But Ott can win every rally. So we can say that we have roles shared, we have the strongest and most experienced drivers, and a great opportunity to win both championships.
We start with Monte Carlo rally and let's see what the situation will be, and then decide. However, Meeke's "best before" is running out. Also, Latvala has been in the series for a very long time and im not sure how long he will continue.

The experts are saying that the supertalent Kalle Rovanpera will be in Toyota in 2020 and Tänak will continue.

There is no contract with Rovanpera yet and no new agreement has been signed with Ott. Unfortunately, because I want both to be in Toyota for a long time. On the other hand, it's clear that the earlier contracts are signed the better, everyone would have a secure future, tensions down, and a team could focus on full-time work.

Tommi's part is very interesting... it seems he didn't want Latvala to renew the contract in the first place.

mknight
16th November 2018, 16:42

ill start with Latvala

... Last year, we had no one that could compete on behalf of the world title. Now we have Ott. However, this isnt something new to me, since I've been teammates with Sebastien, but for Esapekka it was a completely new situation.

Wonder if he really did say that. Cause last year he was actually leading the championship and was pretty much in the fight until rally Poland+Finland where he retired with technical issues from very good positions (3rd ahead of Ogier in Poland and 1st by far in FIN).

Either:
a) he doesn't remember that/doesn't trust himself (with Latvala's mental state that is entirely possible)
or
b) The "interview" was edited or written by someone else?

er88
16th November 2018, 16:52
Can't help but feel Latvala is talking out his arse regarding Ogier. Look at Ogier and tell me he doesn't take absolutely everything seriously, from his diet, the car setup and development, his fitness and personal training etc. Malcolm Wilson has worked with some of the most famous names in the sport and has said he's never come across a driver who pays more attention to detail than Ogier. The closest to that he said was Carlos Sainz. Tanak is probably the way he is this season after having worked so closely with Seb last season, and seeing how Ogier operates. It's clear he's learned a lot and I'm sure he's admitted that himself on many occasions iirc.

Also as MKnight says, Latvala was well in the championship fight last year, and if you added at least a 3rd place in Poland and a win in Finland to his pts total, he'd have been in a superb position going into Germany.

Interview seems a bit iffy for my liking or lost in translation, edited wrongly. Either that or Latvala is more broken mentally than I even thought.

stefanvv
16th November 2018, 17:08
Can't help but feel Latvala is talking out his arse regarding Ogier. Look at Ogier and tell me he doesn't take absolutely everything seriously, from his diet, the car setup and development, his fitness and personal training etc. Malcolm Wilson has worked with some of the most famous names in the sport and has said he's never come across a driver who pays more attention to detail than Ogier. The closest to that he said was Carlos Sainz. Tanak is probably the way he is this season after having worked so closely with Seb last season, and seeing how Ogier operates. It's clear he's learned a lot and I'm sure he's admitted that himself on many occasions iirc.

Also as MKnight says, Latvala was well in the championship fight last year, and if you added at least a 3rd place in Poland and a win in Finland to his pts total, he'd have been in a superb position going into Germany.

Interview seems a bit iffy for my liking or lost in translation, edited wrongly. Either that or Latvala is more broken mentally than I even thought.

I think Latvala just sticks with his current employer interests like he had always did. When was in Ford/M-Sport he was showing with old Escort, in VW with Quattro, now in Toyota what was it - Starlet?

pantealex
16th November 2018, 17:23
I think Latvala just sticks with his current employer interests like he had always did. When was in Ford/M-Sport he was showing with old Escort, in VW with Quattro, now in Toyota what was it - Starlet?

Celica :)

JML started his career with Corolla GT

racerx1979
16th November 2018, 18:10

It's well known that JML is a die hard rally fan at heart. He has all the old classics. He's also tech nut when it comes to cars. I went to his museum and we spent an hour talking about the old EVO 3 Group A motor, exhaust design etc... I think you will see JML driving for the rest of his life at whatever level.

jbmarcus21
18th November 2018, 14:41
As last year, you can play now on planetemarcus website to vote your best driver, codriver, team, rallycar and rally of the year here with PLANETEMARCUS Awards 2018 ► http://bit.ly/2OO8gAA

jbmarcus21
19th November 2018, 11:35
Strong domination into the stages and statistics for Toyota GAZOO Racing in 2018 (rally wins, special stage wins, power stage wins ... and more) ► http://bit.ly/2zgsDBF