PDA

View Full Version : Another great idea... SSS in Helsinki

A.F.F.
6th May 2007, 23:49
In the year 2008 we will see something special at NORF says Jarmo Mahonen. Normally I wouldn't mind but this special thing is very much related in Helsinki, a special stage somewhere in the citycentre area to be more specific.

So, as soon as we all saw the failure of SSS in Buenos Aires, Mahonen publish this idea. What would be better than to drive between Jyväskylä and Helsinki for three days, just to see a super stage in Kaivari, where half of the local population don't even want to see a rallycar.

What does the Helsinki City Boys think?? It's a ok for them, hence Helsinki will now be linked to the biggest single sport event of the year for what price, free of charge I guess. Try to contact them otherwise, no answer ever....

Now that pretty much all the other rallies has been spoiled are about to do so, let's make a farce out of NORF too :up:

Garde liked the idea since it brings more people who normally wouldn't follow rally to the super stage. Does that really increase the popularity of rallying ??? I don't think so. Shall any of those people ever again follow rally ???

They made a great effort to listen the fans this year and changed the route. Why this decicion for next year :mark:

Josti
7th May 2007, 00:14
What a shame...

I saw some footage of promotion days from Toyota (F1, rally) last year in Finland, in which they created a special stage in Helsinki. Pretty much like city racing, not recommendable for rallying IMO. Could be something similar.

Livewireshock
7th May 2007, 02:09
Next we will have Rally Italia-Sardinia announce a super special in Rome.

Why not? It would be only a short boat ride away. It is crazy to think that this these distances are acheivable.

Only if we return to the linear format of rally could you ever expect to run over such distances without things going wrong. That is something I doubt we will ever see. Looped stages & centralised service parks are easier to manage & control.

J4MIE
7th May 2007, 02:28
:bigcry:

Tomi
7th May 2007, 06:35
Stupid idea, if they want to drive in town, i think they should drive in Jyväskylä town, like before. Also Mahonens motives why to do like this was a bit strange.

janneppi
7th May 2007, 07:35
They propable saw that number of people who watched Toyota F1 show there was pretty high, especially when Kankkunen(?) in his old Corolla was pretty spectacular compared to the F1 car on the cobblestones.
It's what, 300 km from Hki to Jyväskylä. Screw that, bring them to Tampere instead. :)

A.F.F.
7th May 2007, 07:38
They propable saw that number of people who watched Toyota F1 show there was pretty high, especially when Kankkunen(?) in his old Corolla was pretty spectacular compared to the F1 car on the cobblestones.
It's what, 300 km from Hki to Jyväskylä. Screw that, bring them to Tampere instead. :)

Been there, done that. Tampere was tried in the 90's. I agree with Tomi. Harju Super Stage was classic and spectacular in Jyväskylä. But nooooo. Mahonen wants to invite jet-set fans to Helsinki.

Tomi
7th May 2007, 08:26
Mahonen wants to invite jet-set fans to Helsinki.
His motives sounded a bit strange to me, he said something like they should do it because nobody has done it before, also im not so sure Kaivopuisto is a good place, the place where i think they could do it dont fit many spectators,mostly sea on the other side and rocks on the other, but the spot would look nice in tv for sure. Better than this would be if they should use the money to build spectator zones with seats for the neohelpless people by the stages, and cut down the trees a bit more at good spots, and arrange free transport from Helsinki and Tampere.

Karukera
7th May 2007, 08:57
The way things are going, are you all sure, it's not the other way around ?

Suomi 08 being an Helsinki based in town tarmac rally and the SSS being run on the holy loose surface in Jyväskylä ?

Erki
7th May 2007, 09:04
The way things are going, are you all sure, it's not the other way around ?

Suomi 08 being an Helsinki based in town tarmac rally and the SSS being run on the holy loose surface in Jyväskylä ?

Hey, don't give them more ideas. :)

janneppi
7th May 2007, 09:19
Hell, let's make two or three different SSS's in three different towns, thursday in Jyskälä, friday in Tampere, saturday in Helsinki. Slap the cars and crews in a Pendolino and with any luck they''ll be there and back in few hours. :)

Or perhaps not in aPendolino... :D

A.F.F.
7th May 2007, 09:34
The way Helsinki looks every frigging summer, it would be an excellent location to simulate Rally Cypros or Turkey. I mean the holes in the roads aren't any smaller...

Tomi
7th May 2007, 09:40
Long time ago they did drive Laajavuori the current shakedown stage as a proper stage, i think that could be ok now too, its in the town and easy to get there, also there is places where to park cars for the spectators.

DonJippo
7th May 2007, 10:44
I like the idea it keeps the corporate drunkards away from real action in Central Finland :up:

On the serious side, don't think the venue is set yet, Kaivopuisto is just one option but like Mahonen said there are some issues around it (safety) so my bet is that it will be somewhere else than in Kaivopuisto.

janneppi
7th May 2007, 10:53
Do they still have the concrete blocks from DTM races left? :)

COD
7th May 2007, 11:32
I don't think it would take anything away from the real action in traditional stages. What it would do is add new spectators and could rise interest in the sport. And would be a good option for VIP's instead of the boring trip to Jyväskylä :D . And would probably bring a lot of money in form of tickets sold.

JAM
7th May 2007, 12:15
With all these shunny ideas of SSS very far from HQ, maybe (if we would be in WRC callendar...) the 2008 Rally of Portugal could have a SSS in Madeira Island or Azores Island. Is not far, by plane is less than two hours :D

Erki
7th May 2007, 13:13
Would be cool if there was a Rally Russia, held in Kamchatka between volcanoes(should look spectacular), and then they hold an SSS in Moscow. Now that would be something. :cool:

Tomi
7th May 2007, 13:14
I don't think it would take anything away from the real action in traditional stages. What it would do is add new spectators and could rise interest in the sport. And would be a good option for VIP's instead of the boring trip to Jyväskylä :D . And would probably bring a lot of money in form of tickets sold.

Do you think there is too little spectators on the stages in jyskälä?

Finni
7th May 2007, 13:22
Kaivopuisto sounds better than Stadium. Stadium is certainly most boring place to see rally cars.

A.F.F.
7th May 2007, 13:41
It's not going to be a stadium stage because Mahonen told others have already stadium stages. What NORF needs is something special. How about Korkeasaari ??? That would be cool, sitting next to baboons and watch rally... wait a minute. Nothing new there :mark:

jonkka
7th May 2007, 13:56
How about Korkeasaari ??? That would be cool, sitting next to baboons and watch rally... wait a minute. Nothing new there :mark:

Best one so far! :eek:

finnway
7th May 2007, 13:58
How about good old "Eläintarha-circuit". It has Historical values and it would be freaking fast SSS too (not micky mouse stadium spin).

COD
8th May 2007, 09:59
Do you think there is too little spectators on the stages in jyskälä?

No, maybe too many (although last year was probably a long time low). But if many of the VIP's would be satified in Helsinki stage and then those people who would not go tee see it Jyväskylä would have the chance to see the cars and drivers then what's so bad about it. Might even help the hotel situation in Jyväskylä a bit.

Tomi
8th May 2007, 10:16
How about good old "Eläintarha-circuit". It has Historical values and it would be freaking fast SSS too (not micky mouse stadium spin).

I belive that one is more likely than Kaivopuisto.

jiipee64
8th May 2007, 13:00
How about combining Staduium and "Eltsu" like they did in Portugal.

You can have Your Mickey Mouse inside Stadium and "almost" proper SS outside???
Are more than one Exit in the Stadium (suitable for cars)?