PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea

call_me_andrew
6th May 2007, 06:29
Between the rain this week and last week's plate racing, I got to thinking about something that may sound a little... odd.

Now the long standing thought is that rain tires are too soft that the loading on the right side overwhelm the tires and melt them in a matter of laps. But then I thought about how teams could easlily run two stints on a set of tires at Talladega and I got to thinking about groved tires. Now I know that idea has been shot down here before by those who wanted to "keep the show good", but then i thought I could apply it to rain tires.

The tires are no where near critical levels of stress as they are. If the drivers have to lift, we'd still have something that could break up the packs.

I know NASCAR had a failed rain test at Martinsville about 8 years ago, but I think doing everything back asswards could pay off.

colinspooky
6th May 2007, 11:02
I am sure they could sort the tyres out, but what about those windscreen wipers ;)
And remember the driver's side is open, so his lap will get soggy and in more ways than one.

//stupid pun apology :p :

call_me_andrew
6th May 2007, 21:43
They already have windshield wipers. Otherwise using those rain tires on road courses was a big mistake. And the car's aerodynamics are already designed to direct air away from the driver side window, so I'd be more concerned with water leaking through the roof and windshield.