PDA

View Full Version : Product placement

Hazell B
1st May 2007, 20:24
Anyone watching BBC TV recently can't have missed the music from Ocean's Eleven (the Clooney version) appearing on several shows and trailers, none of them related to each other or the film. Gardener's World even broke with tradition and had background music twice in one show, each credit music from either end of the film. The snooker coverage has used it too.

Last year when the second Pirates ...... film was due out, the beeb had it's music on several shows. So much so I got sick of it before seeing the film :mark: I somehow expect to hear a lot of Moby just before the next Bourne film's release date ;)

The BBC seems intent on sticking it's nose in other channel finances, so I wonder how much they get paid to 'product place' what amounts to subliminal adverts for films about to be released? All that music can't be a coincidence!

Anyone else notice things like that?

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 20:26
I would be interested to see if there is any actual evidence for the BBC undertaking subliminal product placement. If it was going on in the style of Knowing Me Knowing Yule, I would be concerned — though a fat lot of good that did Rover!

Hazell B
1st May 2007, 21:01
Missed the Rover one.

Put it this way, after hearing the music in the background on something, my partner asked me when Ocean's Thirteen is due out. He hadn't recognised what he'd heard, but the next day I heard it on two shows running, then on friday twice again. Now he knows what it's from, my partner's heard it twice more too. We guessed that the BBC has bought rights to the film, as they often do before release, and they barter a cheaper deal to use the music everywhere for a few weeks.

That way it won't show on accounts. So we'll never know how much the deal was really worth.

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 22:04
Missed the Rover one.

It's great. Well worth seeing — I couldn't do it justice in a description.

Iain
1st May 2007, 22:53
I would be interested to see if there is any actual evidence for the BBC undertaking subliminal product placement. If it was going on in the style of Knowing Me Knowing Yule, I would be concerned — though a fat lot of good that did Rover!

It never made you yearn for a Rover Vitesse Fastback?

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 22:55
It never made you yearn for a Rover Vitesse Fastback?

'The finest executive car I've ever had'.

What an endorsement.

jim mcglinchey
1st May 2007, 22:56
[
The BBC seems intent on sticking it's nose in other channel finances, so I wonder how much they get paid to 'product place' what amounts to subliminal adverts for films about to be released? All that music can't be a coincidence!

Anyone else notice things like that?[/QUOTE]

On the 10 o clock news the other night there was a big storey about Spiderman 3 opening and I couldnt help wondering whether it was another lean news day,or if someone in the news editors office benefits from this blatant plugging. It happens al the time.

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 22:57
On the 10 o clock news the other night there was a big storey about Spiderman 3 opening and I couldnt help wondering whether it was another lean news day,or if someone in the news editors office benefits from this blatant plugging. It happens al the time.

I very much doubt that bribes are paid for plugs. I think the blame lies with the assumption that most viewers can't take tough stories and that showbiz/celeb-related stories are more popular and better for the ratings (which, alas, is probably true nowadays).

Mark
2nd May 2007, 08:05
The music thing is most likely some producers who have heard the tune and think "hey, that's cool! Lets use that"...

millencolin
2nd May 2007, 08:14
Snakes On A PLane was a shocker for product placement... the first 5 minutes of the film was just like one big long ad for Red Bull

Dave B
2nd May 2007, 14:41
Generally if the same music crops up in several programmes it's evidence of a complete lack of imagination from the production companies rather than any commercial arrangement.

With the BBC producing so few of its own programmes, the choice of music is often left to producers who have barely finished their two year Media Studies degree and don't cast their net particularly wide.

BDunnell
2nd May 2007, 14:50
Generally if the same music crops up in several programmes it's evidence of a complete lack of imagination from the production companies rather than any commercial arrangement.

With the BBC producing so few of its own programmes, the choice of music is often left to producers who have barely finished their two year Media Studies degree and don't cast their net particularly wide.

You obviously haven't realised that everything has to be a conspiracy now...

Dave B
2nd May 2007, 15:01
That's a point, wasn't Diana listening to Elvis when she entered that tunnel? There has to be a link somewhere.

Dear Daily Express...

:p

schmenke
2nd May 2007, 15:09
The music thing is most likely some producers who have heard the tune and think "hey, that's cool! Lets use that"...

Can they simply do that? I would have thought that most music nowadays is copy protected somehow...

Dave B
2nd May 2007, 15:17
True, but they pay roylaties. It's relatively simple to get clearance.

BDunnell
2nd May 2007, 15:17
That's a point, wasn't Diana listening to Elvis when she entered that tunnel? There has to be a link somewhere.

Dear Daily Express...

:p

...My house price has just fallen. Is it because of subliminal messages in the popular song 'Grace Kelly' by Mika? This sort of thing is all too rife in Blair's Britain...

Hazell B
3rd May 2007, 08:47
You obviously haven't realised that everything has to be a conspiracy now...

There you go, patronising again :mark:
Nobody has mentioned a conspiracy, have they?
Unless you haven't got the nouce to use a smilie and you having a stab at humour? :rolleyes:

The shows Ocean's Eleven's music have been on are all, as far as I can see, unrelated to each other, so there's no single person doing the music for them all. Gardener's World, snooker coverage, something about buying houses, a cookery show and trailers can't all be made by the same people surely. They simply have a list of music that's suggested, I expect, and it included the stuff I've noticed this week.

I have a question for you all. If you were asked at work to eat a specific type of sandwich for lunch, would you expect to have to be paid back for the sandwich? Of course you would, just like I expect the TV companies are paid (however sideways) to use music and images to advertise new films. Just like I get discounts for my repeated business at certain places, it's common. Hardly a conspiracy :s

Just you wait, Moby will be everywhere come August ;)

BDunnell
3rd May 2007, 09:19
There you go, patronising again :mark:
Nobody has mentioned a conspiracy, have they?
Unless you haven't got the nouce to use a smilie and you having a stab at humour? :rolleyes:

Except you, that is, who brought up this notion in the first place. Note also that several other people have dismissed your notion of deliberate product placement, not just me.

I don't feel the need to use smilies all the time because I prefer to express myself in words wherever possible. If you find me patronising, then that's fine. I really don't care, as I said before.

Hazell B
3rd May 2007, 09:28
Two have, Ben. But neither patronised like you do.

Nor did they mention conspiracy theories.

BDunnell
3rd May 2007, 09:33
Two have, Ben. But neither patronised like you do.

Nor did they mention conspiracy theories.

Whatever.

tintin
4th May 2007, 20:41
I couldn't comment about the BBC, but at ITV, although we are allowed to use any piece of music (as long as it can be cleared), there is a certain amount of pressure to favour one particular record company.

To be fair to that record company, they are very good at providing special mixes, instrumentals, etc.

luvracin
4th May 2007, 21:23
Just you wait, Moby will be everywhere come August ;)

AAAH-HA!!

So whooo's paying YOU to tell us THAT?? :D