PDA

View Full Version : Euros

Mark
1st May 2007, 08:47
Since I've got some Euros in my pocket I thought I would ask everyones opinion on the European single currency.

From everyone, e.g. those who live in countries who have switched to it, those who live in countries which could have switched to it, but did not, e.g. UK, Denmark. Those who are going to switch to it, e.g. Poland, Hungary and everyone else too :p

GridGirl
1st May 2007, 08:49
I prefered it when it was worth less.

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 10:19
I doubt that many people in countries that use the Euro have an opinion on it, to be honest. It is now a fact of life.

What it hasn't done is bring economic meltdown to any of the nations that joined.

Viktory
1st May 2007, 10:59
Personally I hope Sweden switches to the Euro. Would make life much more easy when travelling in the rest of Europe. Of course there's the problem of having less influence on the economic matters, but meh, I trust the EU :p

janneppi
1st May 2007, 12:42
It's not really an issue for me, it took some time to adjust, I do still sometimes convert big numbers into the old currency to get a feel how much it really is. :)

Camelopard
1st May 2007, 13:13
I hope the Euro keeps dropping in value against the Australian $ as I'm going to be Germany in a few weeks time :)

Valve Bounce
1st May 2007, 13:35
We went on a camper van through France, then Monaco, then Italy, then Switzerland, then back through France. I am glad that I could use the Euro for all those countries, as I would have lost heaps exchanging money, not to mention the inconvenience. It is also easier to get the equivalent value of a single foreign currency while on holiday than a whole lot of different currencies.

Camelopard
1st May 2007, 14:14
We went on a camper van through France, then Monaco, then Italy, then Switzerland, then back through France. I am glad that I could use the Euro for all those countries, as I would have lost heaps exchanging money, not to mention the inconvenience. It is also easier to get the equivalent value of a single foreign currency while on holiday than a whole lot of different currencies.

Did you get your vegemite? My sister who is currently living in Paris assures me that you can buy it there.

dyfi1
1st May 2007, 14:27

Heh, the Euro was a major factor when planning my trip to Rally Finland this summer. I`m driving there, and I have a basic choice of 3 routes. Ferry to Norway, and then onwards through Sweden (ferry to Norway too expensive) or ferry to France and then via Poland, and the 3 Baltic states to get ferry Tallinn - Helsinki (too many changes of currency) or go Germany, Denmark and Sweden.

I`ve still got SEK from Swerally `06 and the bridges between islands in Denmark and the Oresund crossing to Sweden can be paid by credit card. This`ll be my route. For convinience I give the Euro :up:

Dave B
1st May 2007, 14:43
It's not really an issue for me. When I go to Europe I take a handful of Euros, just like I used to take a handful of Francs, but any major purchase goes on the card.

If the UK joined up tomorrow there'd be the usual outcry from the usual people, but we'd get used to it pretty quickly.

Woodeye
1st May 2007, 14:56
Using card is the easiest way all over Europe.

Currently I have the chance to travel quite a much because of my work and have to say that when traveling to countries that currently have euro, that is easy and simple and I really hope that more countries will adopt the euro.

It is not the big purchases that cause the trouble, but the little ones. I don't want to buy a bottle of water with card. One major problem and that main reason to chance currency is the tips. It is common to tip in restaurants and bars in most parts of Europe and that is something you cannot (usually at least) do with the card.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st May 2007, 15:52
In day to day life it would have little effect on me. Joining the Euro would possibly help UK manufacturing due to the exchange rate being more favorable for exporters, e.g Jaguar, who are in crisis now. But their are lots of benefits for the UK keeping the pound. Being able to set interest rates is the obvious one.

I'm most concerned about large Euro country economies such as Germany being in recession since they joined the Euro. Only smaller countries such as Ireland have benefited.

However, it's a question of when, not if the UK will join the Euro.

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 15:56
I'm most concerned about large Euro country economies such as Germany being in recession since they joined the Euro.

Germany's recession — from which it is now emerging, it seems — had nothing to do with the adoption of the Euro.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st May 2007, 16:03
Fair enough :dozey:

oily oaf
1st May 2007, 18:12
Whilst I'm fairly ambivalent about the Euro I'm rather glad we've stuck with the good old pound thus far. Insert remarks about "Little Englander" here.........
I can't speak for other members of the EU but most if not all of the good folk of Spain and Portugal that I've spoken to regard the Euro with deep suspicion and dream wistfully of the halcyon days of Peseta and Escudo claiming that since it's introduction prices have shot up alarmingly.
For myself I welcome the convenience of being able to enter both countries without the need to visit the the dreaded Cambio to change currencies but the one beef I do have with the single currency is the fact that all the "shrapnel" looks the bloody same. I defy any of you to distinguish between the 10, 20 and 50 cent coin after 10 pints of San Miguel and half a bottle of Bagaco :mad:

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 18:37
I can't speak for other members of the EU but most if not all of the good folk of Spain and Portugal that I've spoken to regard the Euro with deep suspicion and dream wistfully of the halcyon days of Peseta and Escudo claiming that since it's introduction prices have shot up alarmingly.

This was exactly what a lot of people in the UK thought about decimalisation, wasn't it?

Gannex
1st May 2007, 18:49
Thank goodness we didn't adopt the Euro in Britain. Our economy has prospered these last few years, while the Eurozone has, for the most part, struggled. We would all be a lot poorer today if the European Central Bank had been setting our interest rates during the last decade. I was on the fence about the adoption of the Euro several years, but I have to now admit that the "Keep The Pound" brigade were absolutely right. The sky didn't fall, business did not desert the UK, the economy prospered: just like the Tories said.

oily oaf
1st May 2007, 18:51
This was exactly what a lot of people in the UK thought about decimalisation, wasn't it?

Yes and they were absolutely right too B.
I distinctly remember that pre 1970 a pint of wallop was 3/6d now you can't get one for much less than £2.50p.
And don't get me started about the price of a pack of 20 gaspers :mad:
Decimilisation! Legalised theft in my humble opinion :bandit:

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 19:33
Thank goodness we didn't adopt the Euro in Britain. Our economy has prospered these last few years, while the Eurozone has, for the most part, struggled. We would all be a lot poorer today if the European Central Bank had been setting our interest rates during the last decade. I was on the fence about the adoption of the Euro several years, but I have to now admit that the "Keep The Pound" brigade were absolutely right. The sky didn't fall, business did not desert the UK, the economy prospered: just like the Tories said.

But, as I said, there have been many other factors at play in the countries that adopted the Euro that have suffered during that period. Certainly I don't think it's possible to blame the adoption of the Euro for Germany's difficulties, and I think it's hard to do likewise in relation to France, too.

L5->R5/CR
1st May 2007, 20:00

This is a slightly flawed take on the economic developments.

Most of the big EU economies, and especially the core Euro economies were already stagnating and or in a recession. The Euro has helped them get out of the recession, but most of the EuroZone is also crippled by unfavorable labor laws to economic competiveness. The problems with the French and German economies account for far more of the deficit between EuroZone and UK growth and the Euro itself.

Had the UK adopted the Euro the UK economy would have likely been in a similar position as the one it is in now.

The point about the Euro is this. It makes no sense for a country with strong economic growth and currency markets to join the Euro. With that said, by participating in the EuroZone economy more sluggish and or less virile economies are provided with additional support by where as they can use other economies to keep theirs moving forward and or absorb recession and or economic problems.

Credit to the UK policymakers for accurately predicting EuroZone sluggishness, although the UK would be wise to keep the proposition on the table for the point when the EuroZone economies start to pick up.

fandango
1st May 2007, 23:56
It's true that in Spain people blame the euro for the big price increases, but I reckon those increases were on the way anyway.

I find the euro easy to deal with. In a few years I went from using punts to pesetas to euros and after a short time you get used to it. There is a general feeling here that the Brits are about two years behind Europe when it comes to important change, that they can't seem like they were told to do anything. People see it as an eccenticity more than anything...

tinchote
2nd May 2007, 02:08
As someone for outside Europe, the Euro is a convenience. When we were in Europe for several months in 99, we had to use 13 different currencies: not particularly simple.

race aficionado
2nd May 2007, 02:46
As someone for outside Europe, the Euro is a convenience. When we were in Europe for several months in 99, we had to use 13 different currencies: not particularly simple.

I loved the different currency. As a tourist it was a part of the trip. I loved the different types of bills, sizes, colors - all the coins with their different sizes and colors and shapes - and those cool designs in the coins . . .

I also loved the fact that when I reached places like Italy and Spain, I knew that my money would last longer because things happened to be so much cheaper there!

And to finish my soliloquy, I would love the bills and coins that would be left over after we left one country to visit the other. I have a very nice collection at home that I love to show my son.

Europe is such a treat. You can visit all these countries that are so close to each other - and so wonderfully different to boot. :)

- except now for their currency.

I hope I soon get the chance to go back.

:s mokin:

tinchote
2nd May 2007, 05:26
I loved the different currency. As a tourist it was a part of the trip. I loved the different types of bills, sizes, colors - all the coins with their different sizes and colors and shapes - and those cool designs in the coins . . .

I also loved the fact that when I reached places like Italy and Spain, I knew that my money would last longer because things happened to be so much cheaper there!

And to finish my soliloquy, I would love the bills and coins that would be left over after we left one country to visit the other. I have a very nice collection at home that I love to show my son.

Europe is such a treat. You can visit all these countries that are so close to each other - and so wonderfully different to boot. :)

- except now for their currency.

I hope I soon get the chance to go back.

You have a point :)

I have to say that I was really thinking about the trips after that. It was probably not that much that it was a nuisance to have the different currencies: but it happened to me to have some leftover money from a trip to France, and the next year I could use that money in Italy.

Rollo
2nd May 2007, 06:03
Scotland is in a unique position in the world in that legal tender for the country is not issued by a Central Bank by by private companies. Currently the Scottish banks have the ability to issue debt into the hands of the public as banknotes.

Would Brussels would allow the Scottish Banks to issue Euro? If not then if the UK joins the Euro, what happens to all that currency? More than likely there'd be a forced buyback of all privately issued banknotes. No country with a gnat's crotchet of sense would deliberately force the bankruptcy of its banks.
I don't think that the UK actually can join the Euro for that reason.

The single currency in Europe? It works. :rolleyes:

Mark
2nd May 2007, 08:04
And yet we've heard Alex Salmond talking about joining the Euro should vote for Scottish Independance come their way. So the SNP don't appear to think it's an issue.

Tomi
2nd May 2007, 08:15
Im happy with the euro in general, but there is also problems, mostly to keep the currency stable, the European Central Bank should be stronger, also I think they should work on to get the the euro to be an official currency for trading oil and other stuff.

race aficionado
2nd May 2007, 15:13
You have a point :)

I have to say that I was really thinking about the trips after that. It was probably not that much that it was a nuisance to have the different currencies: but it happened to me to have some leftover money from a trip to France, and the next year I could use that money in Italy.

Going back to your 1999 experience with 13 currencies, that must have been cool.

Now with 4 girls, that would be a different experience. :)

SOD
2nd May 2007, 17:08
I was delighted that Ireland would become part of a major currency-pact. Despite the gouging after the changeover, all the euro ever did was allow elderly home-owners to have access to massive borrowings (leveraged against the value of their own homes) to buy up every other square foot of this country. That's starting to fall down around them.