PDA

View Full Version : 2017 British Grand Prix

AndyL
15th July 2017, 13:12
Wow McLaren cut that fine in Q1! Nice work by the team and by Fernando to get to the line just a fraction before the chequered flag. Such a tiny difference between being last and first in the session.

yodasarmpit
15th July 2017, 13:15
Absolutely brilliant from Alonso. Timed to perfection, looked like he was having fun

Koz
15th July 2017, 13:16
http://ep00.epimg.net/deportes/imagenes/2006/10/29/actualidad/1162106514_740215_0000000000_noticia_normal.jpg

truefan72
15th July 2017, 13:36
nicely done Vandoorne, into Q3, That Mclaren Honda is finally coming around
what is up with Williams. n day like this i would have thought they would be right there in Q3 and even more

truefan72
15th July 2017, 13:38
Absolutely brilliant from Alonso. Timed to perfection, looked like he was having fun

yes, that was nice to see. I think the mclaren is firmly in the midfield now
wouldn't it be funny if the honda is finally coming to the good and mclaren leave them?
Sauber could be well placed next year then along with maybe a brand new Honda powered team

AndyL
15th July 2017, 13:40
yes, that was nice to see. I think the mclaren is firmly in the midfield now

On an aero-dominated track, at least. On tracks that involve a lot of hauling out of slow corners onto long straights they're still going to be found wanting I think.

truefan72
15th July 2017, 13:55
what a lap,
...and here goes petulant Vettel complaining over nothing over the radio. SMH

Rollo
15th July 2017, 14:11
I was secretly hoping for a Wight, Portland, hurricane force 12, north backing, violent storm 11, Rain, Poor. 903, to suddenly happen and the session abandoned after Q1.

Didn't happen.

Boo.

truefan72
15th July 2017, 14:26
why is there always gotta be drama with the stewards.
there really was nothing to that incident, so stop wasting everyone's time ad just move on.
very frustrating

Bagwan
15th July 2017, 14:33
why is there always gotta be drama with the stewards.
there really was nothing to that incident, so stop wasting everyone's time ad just move on.
very frustrating

Should they not investigate just because your favourite driver is involved ?
Relax , and we'll see what the stewards have to say .

Then , you can get upset if you like .

truefan72
15th July 2017, 14:38
Should they not investigate just because your favourite driver is involved ?
Relax , and we'll see what the stewards have to say .

Then , you can get upset if you like .

they can investigate, all they want, but be quick about it, what is this long and prolonged investigation, make the call on the spot and let us move on.
If all the media can figure it out within minutes why can't the stewards. And it is Sullivan again. The baku steward.

Bagwan
15th July 2017, 15:32
they can investigate, all they want, but be quick about it, what is this long and prolonged investigation, make the call on the spot and let us move on.
If all the media can figure it out within minutes why can't the stewards. And it is Sullivan again. The baku steward.

It's all ok now .
He's been cleared and retains pole .

Calm blue oceans , calm blue oceans , calm blue oceans .

Mia 01
15th July 2017, 19:22
Once more a good quali for my man!

And finally justice, no penalty for Hamilton!!!

Koz
15th July 2017, 23:59
http://www.fia.com/file/59785/download?token=VdDmqxYW

The Stewards examined video and telemetry evidence and concluded that while GRO may potentially have been affected by the presence of HAM at Turn 16, he was not impeded.

Affected but not impeded? How does that work?

Ah, one of them is fighting for the WDC, can't have that affected now can we, might end up imdeping the ratings...

Duncan
16th July 2017, 00:03
That was a great (even if ultimately futile) run by Alonso at the end of Q1. Couldn't have timed that any closer. The fans, team, and Alonso himself obviously loved it.

But, wow, what a lap from Hamilton. I guess he redeemed himself with the British fans for skipping the F1 Live event with that performance. Ties Jim Clark for poles at a British Grand Prix and only one shy of Michael's record for career poles.

Also I guess Kimi had an answer for Sergio Machionne.

All to play for tomorrow, though. Let's see if Valtteri has better luck with the harder tyre compound strategy... just about anything could happen.

N. Jones
16th July 2017, 03:55
The interesting party is Bottas startibg with softs while everuone aroubd him is on supers. If he can keep the tires up to snuff this may not be a win for Lewis or Seb.

N4D13
16th July 2017, 09:35
I just noticed that this is the first time that Vandoorne outqualifies Alonso... and sadly, it comes after Alonso admitted that he didn't want to enter Q3 to have a free tire choice since he was starting last anyway. It makes you wonder how good Vandoorne actually is and why McLaren are putting so much faith in him.

Koz
16th July 2017, 12:40
I just noticed that this is the first time that Vandoorne outqualifies Alonso... and sadly, it comes after Alonso admitted that he didn't want to enter Q3 to have a free tire choice since he was starting last anyway. It makes you wonder how good Vandoorne actually is and why McLaren are putting so much faith in him.

And of course, Alonso getting into Q3 would mean Vandoorne would be out. Makes sense not to make it.

AndyL
16th July 2017, 12:42
Shock news of the weekend so far: Martin Brundle has fallen ill and been taken to the medical centre.

Tazio
16th July 2017, 12:47
Morning boyz!:wave:

gm99
16th July 2017, 12:48
What a shame for Palmer; doesn't even get to start his home GP.

Tazio
16th July 2017, 12:50
Aborted start!

Tazio
16th July 2017, 12:53
Max is on fire!

Tazio
16th July 2017, 12:55
Freakin' Kvyat again

N4D13
16th July 2017, 12:59
I'm actually quite surprised that STR have been sticking with Kyvat for so long and I'd be even more surprised if he remained in F1 in 2018. Don't they have Gasly waiting on the wings?

Tazio
16th July 2017, 13:06
Torro Rosso is a mess right now! :stareup:

longisland
16th July 2017, 13:07
Me thinks Ferrari is going to pit Vettel early

Tazio
16th July 2017, 13:10
Bottas is gaining on his ass!

longisland
16th July 2017, 13:19
Great stuff from Max. Immediate retaliation after being pushed out by Seb.

AndyL
16th July 2017, 13:19
Controversial action between Verstappen and Vettel, who would have expected that :)
Vettel must be more incandescent than his brakes now... all fair in my book though - this is racing not a knitting circle.

truefan72
16th July 2017, 13:27
damn RBR pitstop
oh well

AndyL
16th July 2017, 13:32
Ferrari don't have the pace to challenge Merc. Vettel on new softs is slower than Hamilton on 24-lap supersofts and Bottas on 24-lap softs. Actually that's 24-lap plus qualifying isn't it.

longisland
16th July 2017, 13:38
Raikkonen will have "technical" issue that may slow him down after Lewis had a "perfect" Pitstop

Sven62
16th July 2017, 13:46
I just found this forum by Google search because I wanted to say this...

Daniil Kvyat has to GO! And S. Vettel is a whiny lil' BITCH!

... there... thank you...

gm99
16th July 2017, 13:46
Another retirement for Alonso...

gm99
16th July 2017, 13:47
I just found this forum by Google search because I wanted to say this...

Daniil Kvyat has to GO! And S. Vettel is a whiny lil' BITCH!

... there... thank you...

Google isn't always a good thing ;)

Tazio
16th July 2017, 13:59
Come on Valtteri baby

Tazio
16th July 2017, 14:01
Fettel in a heap'o trouble!

Tazio
16th July 2017, 14:10
Kimi's in trouble

AndyL
16th July 2017, 14:12
There must be a sniper in the stands!

Koz
Wtf that sucks!

gm99
Tire failures for both Ferraris...

Tazio
Sorry fettel

Koz
16th July 2017, 14:13
Wtf x2!

AndyL
16th July 2017, 14:13
So Red Bull have just thrown away 3rd place by pitting Verstappen there.

Tazio
16th July 2017, 14:15
Ferrari bro sucked!

truefan72
16th July 2017, 14:16
wow, wow wow!

truefan72
16th July 2017, 14:28
so much to talk about.
congrats to Force India, both cars in the points again
Ricciardo was on fire, at the end RBr finished a strong 4 & 5
That ferrari debrief will be something to behold
Bottas drove a tactical master stroke
My Man Hulkenberg solidly in the points
Vandoonre with a strong p11
Massa salvages a brutal weekend

The mercedes looked superb today. and for once, their strategy was on point.
(on a side note though, Force India and Williams should be asking a few questions about their Mercedes spec engines, they seemed to be significantly less powerful than the works team. I know mercedes are usually open about delivering "somewhat" equal engines, but the deficit to their customers was drastic today)

I think Vettel's tire troubles came from his battle with Bottas and the massive lockup on turn 16 during that battle. It was that left front tire that must have gotten a significant flatspot and that is probably what resulted in the delamination late in the race. In retrospect, they probably should have pitted him again well before that

I am really happy that Kimi salvaged p3, he deserved it.
I am not sure Verstappen would have taken p3 if he stayed out. It was a precautionary stop that secured p4 more than anything.

what drama

The Black Knight
16th July 2017, 15:21
Fantastic race.

5 British GP wins for Hamilton - amazing! Well deserved, he was the quickest out there all weekend!

Biggest point to me is that Karma finally got Vettel in a very deserving way! Nobody deserved that tire blowout more than he did. I still think he should be removed from the championship but this does as a very nice substitute indeed.

In two weeks time I'll be at the Hungarian GP. Looks like Mercedes have resolved their tire issues now so I think, if Hamilton wins there convincingly, he'll move on and win the championship. Roll on Hungary!

Duncan
16th July 2017, 18:21
Well that was interesting...

Great race from Hamilton, and I'm pretty sure a grand slam, although I haven't heard anybody mention it yet. Pole, win, fastest lap and led every lap of the race. I think that makes him second all-time behind Jim Clark.

The Black Knight
16th July 2017, 18:38
Clear to me that Mercedes have made a big step in the understanding of their car and how to set it up over the last couple of races. Hungary is a very different track and usually temperature wise it's quite high which should suit Ferrari. If Mercedes's can win there then Ferrari will have to do something special over summer break as it seems to me that Mercedes are now out developing them.

N. Jones
16th July 2017, 18:55
(on a side note though, Force India and Williams should be asking a few questions about their Mercedes spec engines, they seemed to be significantly less powerful than the works team. I know mercedes are usually open about delivering "somewhat" equal engines, but the deficit to their customers was drastic today)

Well, this is what happens when there are three engine suppliers and ten teams, outside of the top teams the rest will get the junk. I think this is the reason McLaren went with Honda. This way they should have gotten the best engine and fought for podiums. Yeah, it went south but who else is going to step in and become the fourth engine supplier?
Because without one, Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull will be the only teams fighting for podiums and wins for years to come.

Nitrodaze
16th July 2017, 21:07
What happened to those tyres? I would have thought it was something to do with the Ferrari chassis but Verstapenn had the same problems. These Pirelli tyres are still a challenge l think. Everyone has been struggling to get the tyres to work at one point or the other.

With one point between Vettel and Hamilton, the drivers championship has just been blown wide open again. Especially with Bottas under a race win difference from Vettel and 23 points from Hamilton in second. It would seem a three horse race with Ricciado a dark horse hanging in the fringes.

The man of the race for me was Ricciado, but Bottas drove a truely magnificent race to land it in second place from ninth at the start of the race. Vettel took a hard blow today and with the progress that Mercedes have made in recent races, you have to think it is going to get even harder to fight the Mercs in coming races. The momentum has clearly shifted and Ferrari who are 45 points adrift in the constructors championship is reeling backwards.

How can anyone not mention Max Verstapenn? What a ballsy drive to snatch 3rd place from Vettel for most of the first half of the race. The power deficit of the Renault to the Ferrari was clearly demonstrated when Vettel used the undercut to get ahead of the pesky dutchman. It would seem Sainz is on his way out for the Redbull camp, l wonder if Redbull would be able to hang on to Verstapenn beyond 2018 with their current deficit to the Mercedes and Ferrari perfomance wise?

Duncan
16th July 2017, 21:13
I'm wondering if Vettel's issue might have been something to do with this (around the 0:24 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNk9c9ddSLw

big lockup of the left front. Right before he went off at Luffield, he also locked up the left front going around Brooklands, but I don't know if that was because the tyre was already partially down (lockup around the 0:37 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hxau0FEug0

Nitrodaze
16th July 2017, 21:21

Good point, that was Ron Dennis's argument for going with Honda. Force One and Williams cannot beat Mercedes with a Mercedes engine. That said, there is more to it than just engine, the quality of their respective chassis is under par compared to the Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull chassis. Even with the customer spec Mercedes engine, they should be quicker than any Renault powered car but they are not as Ricciado demonstrated today; as he overtook both Williams, Force One and Hass from the back of the grid to 4th. Luck had more to do with getting 4th but his maturity and experience certainly made the difference.

truefan72
17th July 2017, 01:23
I'm wondering if Vettel's issue might have been something to do with this (around the 0:24 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNk9c9ddSLw

big lockup of the left front. Right before he went off at Luffield, he also locked up the left front going around Brooklands, but I don't know if that was because the tyre was already partially down (lockup around the 0:37 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hxau0FEug0

yup, I firmly believe that was the main reason, along with really pushing the tires early in the stint. After all Bottas drove 35 laps on those tires with heavy fuel.
I just think Ferrari didn't manage the tires that well and Verstappen probably pushed them too hard as well.
They were the only 3 drivers with real tire problems

Zico
17th July 2017, 21:33
That was a very enjoyable race. Merc upped their game while Ferrari looked to have pushed too hard to try and compete.
I'm not the greatest fan of Lewis's personality but as a driver.. respect where it's due. Boy was he on fire at the weekend. It seemed to me that he transcended the performance of the car
That was more like the untouchable Lewis we used to see a lot more of.