PDA

View Full Version : Wales Rally GB 2017

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Mintexmemory
29th October 2017, 12:01
What a shame that Latvala dropped so much on stage 19, he could have really challenged for the podium. Regardless, what an enthralling battle for 2,3,4,5, and 6 we have on our hands!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's a battle for 4,5,6 - 2&3 is settled

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 12:06
Mads a bit wild and wide !

Lead
29th October 2017, 12:07
Mads a bit wild and wide !
Thats start to become tradition from him on powerstages. At least throws out something for spectators at the end :)

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 12:24
A final few words from Dad ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNTk7yTXUAAwVD_.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 12:32
Here we go.. Ott Tanak to confirm the Championship for M-Sport ! :champion:

abxyz
29th October 2017, 12:34
Ott slowed down to get Ogier his 1 Point, nice move

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 12:38
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNTopWCWAAAocWj.jpg

steve.mandzij
29th October 2017, 12:42
What a push from Mikkelsen!

EstWRC
29th October 2017, 12:42
nice gesture from Tänak, hopefully Seb will help to get second in australia!

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 12:46
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!! SEBASTIEN OGIER WINS THE TITLE WITH M-SPORT !!! :champion:

abxyz
29th October 2017, 12:47
Evans still needs to win, doesn't he?

Lead
29th October 2017, 12:47
The best driver won. All credit to him and M-Sport!

Eric
29th October 2017, 12:49
Congrats to Seb and Julien. Impressive! Def the best driver out there

steve.mandzij
29th October 2017, 12:50
What a driver. A well deserved championship to the smartest driver in the WRC!

Francis44
29th October 2017, 12:50
Congratulations to Sebastien and Julien, what an year!!

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 12:56
And now Elfyn Evans and DMack are World Rally WINNER'S... what a day !!! :champion: :champion: :champion: :champion:

dimviii
29th October 2017, 12:56
Congrats to Ogier Ingrassia,well deserved champion.

dimviii
29th October 2017, 12:58
so we have 7th different winner this year.

Mirek
29th October 2017, 12:59
Congratulations to Ogier, Evans, the whole M-Sport team and Malcolm Wilson!

Jinu13
29th October 2017, 12:59
Awesome rally. Congratulations to Elfyn and Seb and M Sport!

Mirek
29th October 2017, 13:00
so we have 7th different winner this year.

After 15 years (since 2002)!

steve.mandzij
Spectacular rally! This was proper racing. Super happy to finally see Elfyn take a victory. I've been eager for him to win since Argentina :)

Fast Eddie WRC
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNTuF-AXUAYNB7J.jpg

Mirek
29th October 2017, 13:01
And I forgot - congratulations also to DMack!

And last but not least to Tidemand.

EightGear
29th October 2017, 13:07
Thought is was a bit strange nobody realised Evans still had to finish for Ogier to become champion.

USER47
29th October 2017, 13:10
Wut...

edit: the way this forum works with image attachments is so bloody confusing...

Eli
29th October 2017, 13:19
Well done!!!!! What a rally by M-Sport, Ogier and of course Evans!!!! Very well deserved triple, hope this will convince Ford to make a comeback already!!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

macebig
29th October 2017, 13:20
WHAT A GREAT DAY! AMAZING! The double for the Blue Oval! After all those years of disappointment after disappointment, broken dreams and shattered morale, it was finally time. Thank you M Sport. Thank you Malcolm. Thank you Sébastien. Thank you Ott. Thank you Elfyn. Thank you Christian. Thank you to everybody who made this triumph possible. What a season it has been!Whatever happens from now on, never lose hope and faith. WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! LEGIT No1 For a FORD!

N.O.T
29th October 2017, 13:21
Huge congratulations to Ogier who now is second in championships and its nice to see a real champion eclipse that paper champion nobody...

Amazing job by ford well done to them as well...

Every sport has its natural born loser... for the WRC its the potato dog that basically gave the title away to a person who could not even be faster than his team mate.

Man of the rally is of course Evans, lets see if he develops into a threat.

Whinlatter
29th October 2017, 13:24
Brilliant day, chuffed to bits for Malcolm and everyone at M-Sport, both titles in one day and a home win on the rally to top things off.

COD
29th October 2017, 13:27
First Lappi won his home event and now Evans. Great for the sport!

Rallyper
29th October 2017, 13:33
IF someone could do what Malcolm just did, it's Malcolm. Even if I dont like teamorders one can understand they wanted IT to be settled in Rally GB.

JUF
29th October 2017, 13:40
What a great event that Wales Rally GB was: an excellent entry list, lots of fog and mud, stages being driven in the darkness, a Welshman taking his first win, DMACK´s first win as well and Séb securing the first title for M-Sport for many years... Plus: Lots of spectators out on the stages. Just great :D!

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
29th October 2017, 13:42
I'm in tears right now..

Well done Malcolm, Elfyn, & SebO..

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

AnttiL
29th October 2017, 13:58
What a great season, what a great rally

BigWorm
29th October 2017, 14:07
Congratulations to everyone at M-Sport and Dmack!

Also a very special congratulations to Jourdan Serderidis - the true WRC Trophy champion!

AnttiL
29th October 2017, 14:08
In these two rallies, Mikkelsen has proved it was the right decision to hire him. Meanwhile Paddon and Sordo were quite badly out of pace in Wales (Paddon also had some technical issues, but it only affected a couple of stages).

Kaps
29th October 2017, 14:08
Mikkelsen & Breen joint 5th at Power stage. Who takes the point? What does the rules say?

focus206
29th October 2017, 14:09
Congratulations to M-Sport, I must admit they deserve the title this year. They built a car not extremely fast but robust and reliable for the most part, Hyundai wasn't up to the job, so really deserved championship. Also Sordo and Paddon didn't perform well enough, so really no chance.
And congratulations to Ogier, his consistency was incredible this year, even more than the Polo years. In some occasions he lacked speed, but he managed to finish and get points anyway, while his rivals didn't do so. Shame for Neuville, he had the speed but commited too many mistakes, combined with the fact that Ogier survived various little offs and mistakes without having to DNF. Could have won it, but threw it away. I hope for next season.
Now fingers crossed for Ogier to stay at M-Sport to have another nice season next year.

Mirek
29th October 2017, 14:15
Mikkelsen & Breen joint 5th at Power stage. Who takes the point? What does the rules say?

Power stage is measured with increased accuracy of 0,001 s therefore they are not on joint place.

BigWorm
29th October 2017, 14:16
Power stage is measured with increased accuracy of 0,001 s therefore they are not on joint place.

Was Mikkelsen who got the point?

Mirek
29th October 2017, 14:22
Should be him based on the leaderboard shown on wrc.com.

bassist
29th October 2017, 14:32
WHAT A GREAT DAY! AMAZING! The double for the Blue Oval! After all those years of disappointment after disappointment, broken dreams and shattered morale, it was finally time. Thank you M Sport. Thank you Malcolm. Thank you Sébastien. Thank you Ott. Thank you Elfyn. Thank you Christian. Thank you to everybody who made this triumph possible. What a season it has been!Whatever happens from now on, never lose hope and faith. WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! LEGIT No1 For a FORD!

Brilliant Season, So chuffed for Malcolm and all the team, what a result for Elfyn.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 14:34

Well said, couldn't agree more.

All the cynics and critics - you were proved WRONG.

Keep your hopes, dreams and enthusiasm for what you want and it CAN happen.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 14:42
And here's another Brit who has succeeded after years of battle... ERC Jnr Champion Chris Ingram has now won Rally GB in the R2 Class. :champion:

A FONDO
29th October 2017, 15:04
Such a great achievement for M-Sport as a team of technicians;
for Malcolm for spotting the opportunity and spilling the cash and all other effort;
for Ogier for bravely jumping for the challenge with a risk of humiliation for life;
for Tanak who contributed a lot technically and points-wise;
for Neuville for being the fastest in most of the rallies and nearly becoming a champion ALONE (he can still theoretically complete the season just two points behind the champion).

car
29th October 2017, 15:14
Sorry to say this, but it’s not a win for ford, it’s a win for M-Sport. Ford had the option of buying into this and they said no.
M-Sport use a ford car and of course ford do assist in certain ways, but this is not a ford victory, it is an M-Sport one and they deserve the credit.

car
29th October 2017, 15:16

Huge congratulations to Ogier who now is second in championships and its nice to see a real champion eclipse that paper champion nobody...

Amazing job by ford well done to them as well...

Every sport has its natural born loser... for the WRC its the potato dog that basically gave the title away to a person who could not even be faster than his team mate.

Man of the rally is of course Evans, lets see if he develops into a threat.

Did you spectate NOT?

macebig
29th October 2017, 15:21
Sorry to say this, but it’s not a win for ford, it’s a win for M-Sport. Ford had the option of buying into this and they said no.
M-Sport use a ford car and of course ford do assist in certain ways, but this is not a ford victory, it is an M-Sport one and they deserve the credit.

I won't go into that argument today. It's a day of joy for everyone who Ford means something to. Just remember that Wilson couldn't steal the New Fiesta plans and run the car on his own. Factory backing is there.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 16:02
BRITISH WINNERS OF GB RALLY:
Roger Clark
Colin McRae
Richard Burns
ELFYN EVANS

Not a bad club to join.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th October 2017, 16:06
Retweeted by Ogier...

@FordPerformance
Well done @MSportLtd on winning the 2017 @OfficialWRC Manufacturers Championship with the #Ford Fiesta WRC! https://t.co/jij2B3j2Kn

Doon
29th October 2017, 16:16
Thought is was a bit strange nobody realised Evans still had to finish for Ogier to become champion.

Yeh me also. I thought there would be egg on all their faces if Evans stopped. Luckily it never came to that.

car
29th October 2017, 16:44
I won't go into that argument today. It's a day of joy for everyone who Ford means something to. Just remember that Wilson couldn't steal the New Fiesta plans and run the car on his own. Factory backing is there.
I agree that it’s a good day if you’re a ford fan, but you made out it was them who have entered and won the manufacturers championship, whereas it was M-Sport.

ESTR
29th October 2017, 17:05
congrats to Hyundai too, they made this year real thrilling battle, that have not been seen in years.

Eli
29th October 2017, 17:10
I hope this will send a clear message to the Ford management and will be hearing an announcement of them coming back.

dimviii
29th October 2017, 17:30
the most happy dad tonight

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNTkL68XUAAKK1z.jpg

Sulland
29th October 2017, 17:42
Game, set and match to MSport, congratulation. Well deserved!!:D

Game: Evans
Set: Drivers title, Ogier
Match: Manufacturers Title. First since 82.
First ever win in WRC for both Evans and DMack, and that on homeground :bounce::bounce:

What a day for UK rallying!!

Rallyper
29th October 2017, 18:16
Let´s hope this gets big effects on rallying in UK and in the whole WRC.

Franky
29th October 2017, 18:31
Let´s hope this gets big effects on rallying in UK and in the whole WRC.

Depends what the British media does. Some guy named Hamilton could secure his 4th title in N.O.T's least favourite sport and all the attention might be directed there.

Eli
29th October 2017, 18:32
Depends what the British media does. Some guy named Hamilton could secure his 4th title in N.O.T's least favourite sport and all the attention might be directed there.

Sadly true....

Ucci
29th October 2017, 18:32
Congratulations to Ogier, Evans, the whole M-Sport team and Malcolm Wilson!
Yes, yhey did it. Private team "destroyed" factory teams.
Malcom-enjoy; as the future doesn't look so bright for the M-Sport.
Seb and Julien-no comment needed. Simply (by far) the best duo in WRC. And as somebody mentioned-the smartest. Showed again, that rally is not just flat out all the time.
And now time to celebrate.

doubled1978
29th October 2017, 18:45
Just back from WRGB, and it was a good watch I must say. The 2017 cars certainly do what they intended in terms of spectacle.

A few points I noted.
Positive.
Evans - Clearly had more grip than the others, but used it perfectly. Faultless everywhere we saw him.
Neuville - Was ON it everywhere, other than 1st pass through Hafren when I believe he had a technical issue, he was notably pushing harder than everyone else. Great to watch.
Latvala - Very good, in a car that wasn't at its best for much of the event, he was always good driving where we saw him.

Negative.
Paddon - I like Paddon, and I think he is fast. But he seemed to be beaten in the mind and was just not quick on this event.
Sordo - Why did they enter him? Was pointless if the intention was for him to beat Ogier.

mknight
29th October 2017, 18:52
Obviously well done to M-Sport and Ogier, but all has been said about that already

Comments on rally GB:

Evans - very well done, as Ogier said in Argentina even if tires give you an advantage you still have to drive yourself. That said it does seem like the advantage was quite big, notably watching the Saturday TV stage the difference in grip between the DMACK fiesta and other fiestas was apparent. Again a problem with comparing cars on different tires, you never know how much is it the drivers and how much the tires.

M-Sport - yes they achieved all their goals but their performance was imo a bit worse than expected. On Saturday and Sunday they were clearly behind Hyundai, doesn't quite agree with the "advanced" pre-event assessment by D. Evans and C. Clark, especially considering this was their home rally.

Hyundai - as a team/car very good, did pretty much maximum they could hope for under normal circumstances, somehow typically weak Friday. In term of drivers Neuville and Mikkelsen had very much same times whole Saturday and Sunday (check 2/3rd leg standings). Neuville should imo be actually applauded for the foggy stage. Yes self-centered comments as usual, but here I am talking about performance/results not about personalities. He took it safely and didn't risk anything (which seemingly can't be said of Ogier) and re-took the 2nd place on Sunday without trouble, Evans was too far ahead anyway.
Paddon disappointed again... sure could be some lack of confidence after getting dropped for Spain, but he has been driving this car for a year now and clearly it was a fast car on this rally.

Btw. Haven't seen it talked about much but Sordo had the "old" pre-catalunya aero while Neuville/Mikkelsen/Paddon had new aero.

Citroen - performance wise I'd say they did quite well. Wet slippery gravel and no testing and still both Meek and Breen had some decent times. Very good times on dry gravel (PS). Without some mistakes Meeke would have been at least partly involved in the fight for 2-6. Compared with how Citroen fared here with DS3 recently I wouldn't say this was any worse. Also for second rally in a row Meeke showed consistency which only deserves applause. Note that in this rally only 2 cars retired which is unusually low, with normal retirement rate like we have seen in other rallies Meeke would have been around 4th.

Toyota - surprisingly the clear losers of this rally. Without Latvala's push in the fog they could have ended with best placed car on 6th or even 7th place. Weird since in the wet in Poland they were one of the fastest, aero probably didn't help much here and was getting clogged with mud.
Sad way to (probably) end wrc career for Juho. In a way it was quite typical for him, car/driver not going well for decent top times so he goes for extra push and crashes right after posting a good time.

steve.mandzij
29th October 2017, 19:03
WRGB made me begin to doubt if Paddon can really bounce back from his tremendous nosedive in form. He was constantly at Sordo's pace, a driver who is arguably over the hill by now. It's a fact that Paddon's spectacular style, much like Ostberg's and old Latvala's, is slower than the rest, but he shouldn't have been so far off the pace.

Rallyper
29th October 2017, 19:33
Obviously tyres played the big role. With equal drivers capacity it will be seconds on every stage having advantage of tyres. No doubt. Evans had big advantage however he managed it the way he should.

EstWRC
29th October 2017, 19:50
Congrats to the whole M-sport team and drivers!!! What a season it has been for them, unbelievable, almost like a fairy tale or dreamlike. They took everything this year.

And finally Dmack gets its win! They deserve it also so much.

Now it would be perfect if Tänak gets 2nd in the championship in australia but i think the gap to Neuville is too big. And it isnt that important actually.

Fords pace yesterday was worrying, Ogier and Tänak were clearly suffering and lacked pace when the conditions were more wet. If it was dryer then they were good. Toyotas were disappointing, they were so strong in the middle of the season on gravel but now in spain (gravel) and wales the speed hasnt been the best.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22829774_851173101720701_4515338746421336864_o.jpg ?oh=529b000a8800887a7e386af12efa12d9&oe=5AACA10C
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22861413_851084641729547_6368010711928599956_o.jpg ?oh=d8fb6bd51ececf09bd7d10b0f582b6eb&oe=5A627EF5
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22861579_851173188387359_3482369652535285364_o.jpg ?oh=9f12e92f40d28db06b7f30c1bf7ddeed&oe=5A76CC24

steve.mandzij
29th October 2017, 20:04
Toyotas were disappointing, they were so strong in the middle of the season on gravel but now in spain (gravel) and wales the speed hasnt been the best.

Well, to be fair, Latvala retired on the third stage, and the only two Toyotas left were Hanninen and an inexperienced Lappi. I think their gravel pace in Spain was a huge what if. More worrying was their performance on low traction surfaces like Wales.

dimviii
29th October 2017, 20:10
nice video,watch first plan with Neuville,as well at 0,25 ,amazing spot.
https://youtu.be/JyfXUJyOZKo

dimviii
29th October 2017, 20:18
Ott Tänak‏
Congratulations Teammate @SebOgier You are a True Champ
And very well deserved title for @MSportLtd family!

krismeeke.com‏*@krismeeke
Congrats @SebOgier and #JulienIngrassia! You may not agree.. but I believe your best title so far! Also for @MSportLtd #Respect

Miki Biasion‏*@MikiBiasion1
Congratulations @SebOgier. Really the top. Regards Miki. @WalesRallyGB @OfficialWRC #worldrallychampion

dimviii
29th October 2017, 20:25
https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-i-was-determined-nobody-was-going-get-way-time-elfyn-evans

Whinlatter
29th October 2017, 20:50
Only did two days of the rally, but had a great time - the new cars even more impressive on gravel than they had been in Germany on asphalt. Now busy sorting through my photos, but here's one that I like from Friday.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4489/37968569276_b2f76f405f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZR9QQL)

Rally Power
29th October 2017, 20:56
Huge congrats to Ogier/Ingrassia and MSport. The French is on a class of his own and Wilson totally deserves this year dream results. Fantastic rally from Evans and DMack. Amazing cars, epic fights, new winners; for once the FIA should be praised: ‘17 cars were the right bet. Hopefully 2018 will be even better!

Zeakiwi
29th October 2017, 21:17
Paddon's words on FB "A difficult rally and one we will forget. But good to get a finish under the belt and some positives to take away from the weekend. Some things to improve and sort before Rally Australia so we can fully reset and start to find some form. Thanks for all your support. Big congrats also to Elfyn/Dan for their first win and Seb/Julian for wrapping up the title #paddonspack"

COD
29th October 2017, 22:00
Well done M-sport. They have received their share of shit here and elsewhere, but getting both championships as a semiprivate operation, deserves great applause.

Toyota, what a poor performance. But it their first year, these things eventually hapoen, they will learn.

I originally doubted Paddon as he never showed really great speed in lower classes. He almost proved me wrong, but this year has bern a bad one. Will he rise again?

Neuville, this should have been his year, maybe next year? What will Ogier and Ford do?

Barreis
29th October 2017, 22:24
great for M-Sport but true is that without Ogier and with Tanak and Camilli they would be somewhere between Toyota and Citroen on manu leaderboard. that's how worth is 5 times champ

dimviii
29th October 2017, 22:25
nice photo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNVuzuiXcAEzTL5.jpg

racerx1979
29th October 2017, 22:27
Well I don't think Toyota performed poorly. Was it good? No, but not horrible. Lappi and Juho could not do as well as JML who set some top stage times and was close to taking 3rd until he lost some time on one stage. Lappi needs some time to get up to speed with some rallies as he lacks experience, but Tanak will be right there with JML next year.

Evans was killing it all weekend and it would be great to see how he does on a set of Michelin's.. maybe next year.

It's been a great season and one which I've been into from the onset.

I guess it's on to Australia which will sadly be the most uninteresting event all year. Ogier and M-Sport have clinched the titles, the entries in AUS are weak as usual and as an AUS resident I am no longer interested in spectating as it sucks major sheeit to watch cars from a km away in the woods.

BTW, it was weird seeing OTT celebrate M-Sport victories this weekend. He deserves every bit of it, but I think his signing to Toyota should have been announced after GB.

SubaruNorway
29th October 2017, 22:31
Is it just me or has the Citroen and Toyota less pitch/dive than the others and not getting any weight onto the front wheels to make it turn better?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQvLmGNuxU&t=0s

dimviii
29th October 2017, 22:58
https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/23000003_10155337920913952_7602420923957241409_o.j pg?oh=7383874ab77b5353ab85b8147ed41f57&oe=5A631B35

PLuto
29th October 2017, 23:57
Skoda Motorsport and M-Sport fined for 30 000 euro for wrong pictures in homologation of oil pump... (decisions here (https://forum.autosport.cz/viewtopic.php?f=71&p=87350#p87350))

wrc2017
30th October 2017, 00:45
Congrats to Ford. Ogier is a class act. i still think he was very lucky with broken disc. could have ended his rally. you can talk about skill.. but was pure luck. Hope first of many for Evans. Rumour is the DMack was 0.5s per km quicker than Michelin on this surface. If so Evans was cruising. I feel he will be Ogier team mate next year. Wonder if they can split the team DMack/Michelin.. or will DMack maybe think this is the best result they will get.. and disappear. There has been rumours for years now of money problems. I dont understand the business case for Dmack. The sale of rally tyres wouldnt cover motorsport budget.. and for all but 2/3 rallies, Evans felt the need to defend himself with the deficiency of the tyre.

Toyota not the pace expected. Lappi especially disappointed. Just shows how much experience of this event counts.JML fog expert. Only a win would have saved Hanninen career, it didnt happen.

Hyundai, Neuville was trying really hard to make something happen, but looked ragged. Wondering if Paddon will ever climb out of the hole he is in.

Citroen, for no PET, Meeke done OK. Never been a strong event for Citroen. Only for spin and losing rear wing, could have been on podium. Sounding more comfortable on changable grip surface now. Bods well if it gives driver confidence. Breen flashes of some speed but expected more.

WRC2, Rovenpera.. a lesson on hype. Hope he now takes his time. People push these ultra young guys too hard. He has 20 years rallying infront of him

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 07:43
https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9907093?origin=rss

Not sure if this is a joke but apparently Wilson sent an SMS to Latvala on saturday evening asking him to "let an old man win the championship" after Latvala had been fast on the foggy stage :D

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 07:57
Sordo - Why did they enter him? Was pointless if the intention was for him to beat Ogier.

He has made some solid results in the past, but this year he was just totally off the pace.

RS
30th October 2017, 08:29

They just mentioned Elfyn's win on BBC Radio 4.

rallyfiend
30th October 2017, 08:35

Sordo's car has additional branding from a sponsor on his car that didn't feature on the other Hyundai cars.

Would say that he paid for the 4th car himself to have a chance to try to perform at a critical time for driver choice for next year.

racerx1979
30th October 2017, 08:38
https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9907093?origin=rss

Not sure if this is a joke but apparently Wilson sent an SMS to Latvala on saturday evening asking him to "let an old man win the championship" after Latvala had been fast on the foggy stage :D

Well there was a rumor that Latvala held off on that stage for a reason, but it could just be BS. But after this article I'm beginning to wonder if there was some truth behind it..

BigWorm
30th October 2017, 08:43
BTW, it was weird seeing OTT celebrate M-Sport victories this weekend. He deserves every bit of it, but I think his signing to Toyota should have been announced after GB.

No, nothing weird about that. He’s not a Toyota driver until 2018, plus he was a key driver for M-Sports success this. Why shouldn’t he celebrate a job well done this year?

It would’ve been weird if he’d celebrate Toyotas result this weekend (if they were better).

Andre Oliveira
30th October 2017, 12:43
Brynildsen: “In 09 a young winner of SWRC was excluded from Rally Wales due to too small pistons in the break caliper Now they give a fine #davidvsgoliat”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNYuNl-W0AUN3zH?format=jpg&name=large

Rally Power
30th October 2017, 12:55
Sordo's car has additional branding from a sponsor on his car that didn't feature on the other Hyundai cars.
Would say that he paid for the 4th car himself to have a chance to try to perform at a critical time for driver choice for next year.

Yep, Sordo has a strong pack of personal sponsors; he’s backed by Santander Bank (3rd biggest bank in Europe) and for the first time Innjoo (electronic devices company based in Dubai) was pretty visible on his car at Wales. It won’t be for financial reasons that he’ll leave.

Btw, Hyundai sold more than 50.000 cars last year in Spain and not even 10.000 in NZ.

pantealex
30th October 2017, 13:14
Brynildsen: “In 09 a young winner of SWRC was excluded from Rally Wales due to too small pistons in the break caliper Now they give a fine #davidvsgoliat”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNYuNl-W0AUN3zH?format=jpg&name=large

Same problem was in all Skoda R5 and Fiesta R5 cars this time. Judges simply couldn´t exclude 17 drivers from WRC2. Only Andolfi, Bonato and Tempestini were driving other cars.

dimviii
30th October 2017, 13:28
Malcolm yesterday at press conferance said that when he retires,he will ask Ogier to run Msport,because he is very good negotiator.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNYa2YMX4AE2fJH.jpg

Mirek
30th October 2017, 13:29

This is different case because said oil pump in both Fiesta and Fabia is a part taken from stock production. The issue is that while the stock product was changed/replaced in production the homologation papers were not updated as they shall have been. The steward's decision is corresponding with previous similar cases (all DS3 R3T in JERC two years back with similar issue etc.). This is rather complicated issue with R5 cars because the stock parts can come from whatever supplier in the market. For example imagine that You can have Ford R5 car with an internal part from BMW. BMW can modify the part whenever they want for whatever reason but it's M-Sport who has to update homologation papers of the R5.

Brynildsen's case was use of brake calipers from completely different car (although it was primarily a mistake of Brembo and afterwards also of Škoda when a wrong delivery got to the end-user).

Fast Eddie WRC
30th October 2017, 13:31
They just mentioned Elfyn's win on BBC Radio 4.

I believe it was also featured on BBC News and BBC Breakfast TV this morning !

dimviii
30th October 2017, 13:32
http://int-media.citroen.com/en/down-earth-weekend-citroën-racing

Paddon interview at Holmes.Interesting interview.

https://rallysportmag.com/interview-hayden-paddon-2017-whats-coming-2018/

car
30th October 2017, 13:49
Anyone know how fast the WRC cars will have been going when on the rev limiters during RallyGB? (I guess they will all have slightly different top speeds). I have told some mates 130mph (possibly slightly faster) and they don't believe it.

cali
30th October 2017, 13:56
Anyone know how fast the WRC cars will have been going when on the rev limiters during RallyGB? (I guess they will all have slightly different top speeds). I have told some mates 130mph (possibly slightly faster) and they don't believe it.Depends which gear ratios they use top speed is approximately 190-200 km/h (118-125 mph). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

dimviii
30th October 2017, 13:58
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_wide/public/01117012_219.jpg?itok=FUDhcnLS

more
https://www.fia.com/multimedia/image-gallery/wrc-2017-rally-great-britain

SubaruNorway
30th October 2017, 14:10
Anyone know how fast the WRC cars will have been going when on the rev limiters during RallyGB? (I guess they will all have slightly different top speeds). I have told some mates 130mph (possibly slightly faster) and they don't believe it.

Never seen it that high, usually it's 195kph about 120mph, just checked Evans on a stretch on Hafren and saw 185kph

Mirek
30th October 2017, 14:34
130 mph (210 km/h) is for sure plausible for speed on rpm limiter.

For comparison 121 mph (195 km/h) is top speed of Fabia R5 on rpm limiter.

dimviii
30th October 2017, 15:48
http://rajdy24.pl/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/e097ecea-8ac5-4f55-b967-8c42ef2ab3e1-min.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
30th October 2017, 16:02
Remember this from last year at the Rallyfest ?

The WRC stars going around the stage again together then stopping at the VIP area for spoilt brats to get autographs, while those lower down the order wait. :(
Never seen anything like that before !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cv81r-0WAAAIs9K.jpg

Well at least this year the driver's just came over to the fans and didnt go to the VIP area... :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNZFUGwWAAEVtq2.jpg

There was also a decent viewing area although I was only there for the Historics and Group B cars...

https://i.imgur.com/d0n59MR.jpg

When I went back it was too packed for a good view of the WRC cars. :( So I had to settle for a low down view but still a great sound and atmosphere ! :)

https://i.imgur.com/sGL3CWz.jpg

dimviii
30th October 2017, 16:06
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/typo3temp/yag-galleries/44/99/Wales-Rallye-GB-2017-108_449912_59f591b4a.jpg
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/typo3temp/yag-galleries/44/95/Wales-Rallye-GB-2017-068_449553_59f436828.jpg
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/typo3temp/yag-galleries/44/95/Wales-Rallye-GB-2017-059_449572_59f436835.jpg

tommeke_B
30th October 2017, 16:58
Never seen it that high, usually it's 195kph about 120mph, just checked Evans on a stretch on Hafren and saw 185kph

In the 2nd run I was at that left hand corner after the long straight towards the end of Hafren. Now comparing different videos... Tänak arrives at 197kph, exit 185kph. Paddon arrives at 191kph, exit 185kph. Latvala arrived at 198kph, exit speed around 170kph. Evans had 195kph before the corner. I remember in Monte Carlo there was a place where the cars were arriving on RPM limiter too. Quickest was Evans back then (205 or something close), Toyota's had 191kph. It all depends on the gearbox.

gianni123
30th October 2017, 17:06
video Dayinsure Wales rally GB - 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFyODMNPZLE

dimviii
30th October 2017, 17:23
https://youtu.be/veQvLmGNuxU

dimviii
30th October 2017, 17:31
Wales Rally GB‏
We are somewhere special today. Media work with our latest British winner #WRGB #WRC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNYrluaWkAAcXue.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNYrluPW0AAMEAP.jpg

spiderem
30th October 2017, 17:46
Not sure if it was discussed before here, but what happened to Tanak? He was in the mix for second until Saturday night, and within a blink of an eye he was 1 minute off and 6th or 5th. Any mechanical or something? and after that he was nowhere in term of pace.

steve.mandzij
30th October 2017, 17:51
Not sure if it was discussed before here, but what happened to Tanak? He was in the mix for second until Saturday night, and within a blink of an eye he was 1 minute off and 6th or 5th. Any mechanical or something? and after that he was nowhere in term of pace.Night stages, Latvala's salvation.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th October 2017, 18:11
Ogier not just a fast driver also a fast mechanic ! :cool:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2017/ogier-brakes/page/4978--12-12-.html

EstWRC
30th October 2017, 18:15
Not sure if it was discussed before here, but what happened to Tanak? He was in the mix for second until Saturday night, and within a blink of an eye he was 1 minute off and 6th or 5th. Any mechanical or something? and after that he was nowhere in term of pace.

Lost the rhytm on the first night stage because started playing with lights and couldnt see anything, if you look at the stage times then it seems to me the fog got really bad just before the TOP4 drivers at that time, Ogier took risks and lost 12 secs to Latvala but Neuville, Tänak and Evans all lost 30 seconds whilst the guys who started earlier lost 10-13 seconds.

i cant agree he was nowhere after that, the next night stage he was third and all day sunday he was on the pace with just 1.0 seconds down on Neuville (day 3 results) before the power stage where he deliberately slowed down and lost 11.5 seconds

car
30th October 2017, 18:29
In the 2nd run I was at that left hand corner after the long straight towards the end of Hafren. Now comparing different videos... Tänak arrives at 197kph, exit 185kph. Paddon arrives at 191kph, exit 185kph. Latvala arrived at 198kph, exit speed around 170kph. Evans had 195kph before the corner. I remember in Monte Carlo there was a place where the cars were arriving on RPM limiter too. Quickest was Evans back then (205 or something close), Toyota's had 191kph. It all depends on the gearbox.
I was towards the end of the straight, before the corner... wow, they were just a bit quick there ey?!

doubled1978
30th October 2017, 18:54
I was towards the end of the straight, before the corner... wow, they were just a bit quick there ey?!
We were there also for the second run...The commitment was sensational, a couple without a lift.
Did you notice David Llewellyn stood up there also?

dimviii
30th October 2017, 19:16
Lost the rhytm on the first night stage because started playing with lights and couldnt see anything, if you look at the stage times then it seems to me the fog got really bad just before the TOP4 drivers at that time, Ogier took risks and lost 12 secs to Latvala but Neuville, Tänak and Evans all lost 30 seconds whilst the guys who started earlier lost 10-13 seconds.

i cant agree he was nowhere after that, the next night stage he was third and all day sunday he was on the pace with just 1.0 seconds down on Neuville (day 3 results) before the power stage where he deliberately slowed down and lost 11.5 seconds

we don't know also what Malcolm had asked.

car
30th October 2017, 19:36
We were there also for the second run...The commitment was sensational, a couple without a lift.
Did you notice David Llewellyn stood up there also?

No I didn't mate, but I did have a strange encounter with Gwyndaf Evans... I was parked at the bottom of the hill in my van (Hafren 2) and a motorhome had gone off the road, blocking the road. My van (although not parked badly) ended up being in the way because of where the motorhome had gone off the road and he basically turned up and organised everyone into trying to get the motorhome back on the road (he needed to be back to Deesside and he was in a hurry and stuck because of the road block). That didn't work so he started asking 'whose van this was'... got me to turn it round as much as I could then got a group together to bounce the back of the van round so it could go all the way for me to get out... crazy really and he just said "good work" and walked back to where his car was.

bluuford
30th October 2017, 20:14

I can tell you that I did separate forecast for the last two stages (normally it is not needed for GB afternoon). So, I told that there is light drizzle on both stages, no fog on SS16 and patchy fog on SS15. I also said that it is almost the same as in the morning but more patchy and just depends on the starting time. Some might be lucky, some not. I would say that it was slight underestimation. I guess that Ott set up the lights so that he took some kind of compromise but he should have put them even lower. It was just a question of luck and confidence. I looked all onboards and I can tell you that Neuville was just whining, Ogier drove like crazy and Ott was driving safely, but this is true that Ogier and Ott and Elfyn got the most of the fog and also a bit more for Neuville but not as bad. In conclusion, the fog was just in a very bad section for them. It was in a very fast section and it is very easy to loose 15-20 seconds there. Rember, this was the stage where they have put kind of anticutting boulders inside the corner... you dont want to loose the road there ;)

mknight
30th October 2017, 20:29
I looked all onboards and I can tell you that Neuville was just whining, Ogier drove like crazy and Ott was driving safely, but this is true that Ogier and Ott and Elfyn got the most of the fog and also a bit more for Neuville but not as bad.

Some not-published Ogier onboard? The one on WRC+ is only from the camera mounted on the bumper so it's quite difficult to compare anything. And also quite hard to judge the off.

dimviii
30th October 2017, 20:34
nice one
https://youtu.be/F7LPY2L1caA

doubled1978
30th October 2017, 21:18
No I didn't mate, but I did have a strange encounter with Gwyndaf Evans... I was parked at the bottom of the hill in my van (Hafren 2) and a motorhome had gone off the road, blocking the road. My van (although not parked badly) ended up being in the way because of where the motorhome had gone off the road and he basically turned up and organised everyone into trying to get the motorhome back on the road (he needed to be back to Deesside and he was in a hurry and stuck because of the road block). That didn't work so he started asking 'whose van this was'... got me to turn it round as much as I could then got a group together to bounce the back of the van round so it could go all the way for me to get out... crazy really and he just said "good work" and walked back to where his car was.

Yeah we saw the motorhome that had dropped in the ditch, we had gone back to the car for brew before it got extracted tho. That access road was a mess...

denkimi
31st October 2017, 11:09
Ogier not just a fast driver also a fast mechanic ! :cool:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2017/ogier-brakes/page/4978--12-12-.html
I kinda wonder how that works. If there's no brake disk in place, then whats stopping the pistons from comming out of the caliper and loosing brake pressure on at least 2 wheels? Or do they have 4 separate brake circuits nowadays?

AMSS
31st October 2017, 11:28
I kinda wonder how that works. If there's no brake disk in place, then whats stopping the pistons from comming out of the caliper and loosing brake pressure on at least 2 wheels? Or do they have 4 separate brake circuits nowadays?

https://www.staubli.com/en/connectors/quick-couplings/hydraulic-coupling/clean-break-motorsports-sphba/

Simmi
31st October 2017, 12:02
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/132771/rally-gb-plans-changes-after-2017-problems

Organisers will react to increased spectator numbers and full car parks next year. Will be interesting to see what they do.

AndyRAC
31st October 2017, 12:26
Have to agree; it's a good problem to have though. I think they need to rethink/ tweak the itinerary and encourage people to stay put at the same stage.

At Dyfnant, after the WRC, and Nationals had run, there were people leaving to go elsewhere; however there were also people arriving for the night stage from Dyfi/ Gartheiniog – and only 1 road in/ out. Not ideal.

I also think they need to have separate car parks for campervans; I’ve never seen so many on this event.

I’ve seen the comment from Tommi saying the event needs streamlining; I think the opposite. Having that may fans in such a small area is a recipe for gridlock, etc
It won’t happen, but it seems a shame to not use the massive facility that is the Epynt ranges.....but they're too far away. (Supposedly, by WRC standards)

AnttiL
31st October 2017, 12:30
Looking at the maps of the Wales stages, it seems they often are maximizing the stage length by doing "loops" around the roads leaving out possible access roads (for example on Dyfnant between 3.6 km and 13.7 km or the small bit between 4.7km and 12.5 km https://www.rally-maps.com/Wales-Rally-GB-2017/Dyfnant ). Maybe the stages need to be more straightforward for more options for the spectators to go instead of everyone packing the same few access roads.

Simmi
31st October 2017, 13:31
I think also a lot of the stages felt really rushed between runs. On Dyfi and Alwen no sooner had the sweeper gone through then safety vehicles were immediately on stage telling fans to get off the road. And you end up with people just putting themselves in less than ideal positions.

I'm sure organisers would just argue you need to stay in one place for both runs - but if they think most spectators are prepared to do that they are dreaming.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st October 2017, 13:45
There was a 25 min delay at the Cholmondeley stage due to the problems at the previous ones.

This meant people were later leaving than planned. It had gone dark and was chaotic exiting the car parks. There were no stewards and it was just a free-for-all.

AL14
31st October 2017, 13:51
I was wondering... Do you know why Ostberg didn't use DMACK? (Because he didn't right?)
I was thinking that maybe DMACK themself didn't allow that because they knew they had an advantage and did want their official car to win the rally, not a private one.

MrJan
31st October 2017, 14:32
I think also a lot of the stages felt really rushed between runs. On Dyfi and Alwen no sooner had the sweeper gone through then safety vehicles were immediately on stage telling fans to get off the road. And you end up with people just putting themselves in less than ideal positions.

We kept being told by the marshals on Alwen that there was a risk of losing the 2nd running of the stage, not sure how much truth there was in that. I did overhear on the radio that Junction 8 was overcrowded and they had more spectators than the pens had space for. But if you try to cram two stages close together and get 2 runs of each in a few hours then you're always going to have trouble. They definitely need to rethink what they do on the Sunday, people were parking miles back on the road in to Brenig/Alwen but also the space within the car park didn't seem to be used well. There was one marshal that parked his van across one of the forks in the road to shut off part of the car park, but when we walked up it there was space for easily another 20-30 more cars. It wasn't even like the spaces were well out of sight, you could see half of them from where he'd parked the van

Can't really comment on the other stages as we walked in, other than to say that I'd have been pretty ticked off if I'd paid £30 and had to walk as far as some people were.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st October 2017, 15:05
I was wondering... Do you know why Ostberg didn't use DMACK? (Because he didn't right?)
I was thinking that maybe DMACK themself didn't allow that because they knew they had an advantage and did want their official car to win the rally, not a private one.

That must've been the case, or else it was a big mistake by Mads not to take DMACK's.

(Although he wouldnt have beaten Evans anyway... ;) )

Simmi
31st October 2017, 16:05
That must've been the case, or else it was a big mistake by Mads not to take DMACK's.

(Although he wouldnt have beaten Evans anyway... ;) )

I was surprised he didn't take the tyres - but Adapta can't get that car running worth a cr*p anyway. Next year they need to admit defeat and make sure the Fiesta is run out of an M-Sport awning.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st October 2017, 18:09
I was surprised he didn't take the tyres - but Adapta can't get that car running worth a cr*p anyway. Next year they need to admit defeat and make sure the Fiesta is run out of an M-Sport awning.

It's a finance-issue though. Adapta and Prokop have a team of mechanics there and Mads needs a car running, hence they got together. Paying M-Sport is not really an option.

Adapta will hope to iron-out the car issues ready for 2018.

doubled1978
31st October 2017, 18:11
We kept being told by the marshals on Alwen that there was a risk of losing the 2nd running of the stage, not sure how much truth there was in that. I did overhear on the radio that Junction 8 was overcrowded and they had more spectators than the pens had space for. But if you try to cram two stages close together and get 2 runs of each in a few hours then you're always going to have trouble. They definitely need to rethink what they do on the Sunday, people were parking miles back on the road in to Brenig/Alwen but also the space within the car park didn't seem to be used well. There was one marshal that parked his van across one of the forks in the road to shut off part of the car park, but when we walked up it there was space for easily another 20-30 more cars. It wasn't even like the spaces were well out of sight, you could see half of them from where he'd parked the van

Can't really comment on the other stages as we walked in, other than to say that I'd have been pretty ticked off if I'd paid £30 and had to walk as far as some people were.

I agree, I have said this for years. That by having so few stages to chose from on a given day, and in a lot of cases only 1 car park to use, when the numbers pick up they will be in trouble. Through the years when nobody was going it was fine, but its completely insufficient now. When we were leaving some of the car parks, the distance some of those folks would have had to walk uphill would have been dreadful. And there were cars all over the verges on the roads that were supposed to be clearway. I don't profess to have all the answers, but there must be a way to spread the people out better. Either more stage locations per day, or more car parks per stage.

Last year in Alwen we had the same, but there were some people stood in stupid positions on that occasion near where we were. The safety cars wouldn't move until they moved.

SubaruNorway
31st October 2017, 18:25
It's a finance-issue though. Adapta and Prokop have a team of mechanics there and Mads needs a car running, hence they got together. Paying M-Sport is not really an option.

It sounded like going back to M-Sport support was an option. They found out that running one car took more than enough work and Prokop not joining in made running one car out of Czech Republic too expensive so that's why they went back to Adapta running it since Spain.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st October 2017, 18:46
WRC cars in action at the Cholmondeley stage:

https://youtu.be/h1JXi4yrctI

tommeke_B
31st October 2017, 18:50
For controlling the crowds I wouldn't be surprised if the organizers were to sell different tickets. For example a ticket for the even (2-4-6-...) and for the uneven (1-3-5-7-...) stages. I think they've done that some years ago.

Whinlatter
31st October 2017, 19:09
Although I agree that the rally now needs more options for spectators if it is to continue to grow, I think the organisers are quite limited by the access roads they can use - some of them will lead to areas where the terrain cannot accommodate large numbers of spectators safely, and some of the forest access roads are narrow and overgrown and would require a lot of work to make them viable as car parks. There may also be PR issues on some roads around the forest. More car park options also requires more marshals to run them, and to clear up after the scum who leave litter and disposable barbecues behind.

Meanwhile, some more of my photos...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4451/38017139366_d0259dcf29_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZVrM37)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4514/38017148616_6e04ff3b73_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZVrPMA)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4494/38017078136_c46b02fce6_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZVrsQq)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4512/26294346859_2e57a905a7_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G4xpeV)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4444/26294351259_304d82ba39_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G4xqxM)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4507/24217787078_6fc82ebbc1_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CU3un5)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4448/26294317459_1eaa108c81_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G4xfv2)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4460/38017093626_a2247fc47e_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZVrxru)

Simmi
1st November 2017, 10:13

Nah didn't Adapta and Mads effectively do a deal to develop parts separately from M-Sport and have worked themselves down blind alleys and into reliability issues the works cars don't have. Maybe better to spend that money elsewhere - like on M-Sport support. I know it's not always that simple but still.

AnttiL
1st November 2017, 10:25

So a double win would have not been more spectacular? Or if Evans had run into trouble they would have still won? Does not make sense. Although now we see that Østberg was far from winning pace, no matter the tyres.

As we know Østberg split with Prokop's Jipocar team after Rally Finland and went back to his own Adapta team, but as we've seen, probably it does not continue like that next year. I'd guess he's going to be a paying M-Sport driver with Onebet support and Adapta will run just R5 cars.

Mintexmemory
1st November 2017, 11:00
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/132771/rally-gb-plans-changes-after-2017-problems

Organisers will react to increased spectator numbers and full car parks next year. Will be interesting to see what they do.

If I'm any judge - expect a hike in the ticket prices! However the early October date next year means the rally isn't running during school holidays so less rugrattage will be in evidence. The stories of people walking miles from ticketed car parks just confirms my view of accepting the walks and avoiding the tickets

Simmi
1st November 2017, 12:06
Finally got my pics sorted for GB. No Shakedown but still three good days in the forest. Had sun and a surprising amount of 4G this year. Long may it continue!

Full set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/albums/72157687849693731

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/24234436258_f8e6d327f4_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPzU)1 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPzU) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4513/26310531319_b1313b7608_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G5Ymjk)2 (https://flic.kr/p/G5Ymjk) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4510/24234435048_68b4c01dba_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPe3)4 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPe3) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4488/24234435768_e112574859_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPrs)3 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPrs) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4490/38034139816_2c12990772_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZWWUFj)11 (https://flic.kr/p/ZWWUFj) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4466/37377840404_962f7b5ecd_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YWXcJd)7 (https://flic.kr/p/YWXcJd) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4469/24234429958_fbc21240cb_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvMHh)13 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvMHh) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr

car
1st November 2017, 12:23
Finally got my pics sorted for GB. No Shakedown but still three good days in the forest. Had sun and a surprising amount of 4G this year. Long may it continue!

Full set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/albums/72157687849693731

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/24234436258_f8e6d327f4_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPzU)1 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPzU) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4513/26310531319_b1313b7608_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G5Ymjk)2 (https://flic.kr/p/G5Ymjk) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4510/24234435048_68b4c01dba_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPe3)4 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPe3) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4488/24234435768_e112574859_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPrs)3 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPrs) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4490/38034139816_2c12990772_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZWWUFj)11 (https://flic.kr/p/ZWWUFj) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4466/37377840404_962f7b5ecd_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YWXcJd)7 (https://flic.kr/p/YWXcJd) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4469/24234429958_fbc21240cb_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvMHh)13 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvMHh) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr

Great pics mate! It was an amazing event wasn't it?

dimviii
1st November 2017, 13:42
nice photo,but who is?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNjoeWkVQAA5UeL.jpg

MrJan
1st November 2017, 15:39
If I'm any judge - expect a hike in the ticket prices!

My first thought too. Same level of income but with less hassle of speccies on stages and parked on verges. No brainer.

steve.mandzij
1st November 2017, 15:45
nice photo,but who is?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNjoeWkVQAA5UeL.jpgLappi last year, after he went wide into a tree and won the rally anyways :)

tomhlord
1st November 2017, 15:57
I think the biggest tell as to how un-prepared/clued up they were was shakedown. Having a car park for only 500 cars then to have at least 300 motorhomes turn up and fill the place suggests they have never been to a European rally any time recently.

Got there early-ish and no problem at all at Shakedown. I thought that with it being a great opportinuty to see the 2017 cars for the first time and each having multipe runs, the logical thing was to arrive more than an hour before the safety car. Perhaps it was laggards who where not prepared, and not the organisers.

L555MAT
1st November 2017, 15:59
If I'm any judge - expect a hike in the ticket prices! However the early October date next year means the rally isn't running during school holidays so less rugrattage will be in evidence. The stories of people walking miles from ticketed car parks just confirms my view of accepting the walks and avoiding the tickets

I was lucky enough to get up to Myherin on Friday early and park in a layby on the A44 and walked in. A bit of an adventure crossing the bog and river but a 20 minute walk down a gravel road to an excellent viewing point with friendly marshalls. Doubt that will happen next year.

the sniper
1st November 2017, 16:18
I've got to say I massively enjoyed Rally GB this year, really loved it, certainly it was my favourite edition I've attended. Admittedly I avoided any of the traffic/parking problems by arriving very early at the two official car parks I used and walking into the other stages. Getting to do the three stages on the Saturday and a stage and be at the finish in Llandudno on Sunday were highlights.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4444/26294351259_304d82ba39_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G4xqxM)

For me Pedro Heller was this year's José Antonio Suárez, very entertaining, I saw him nearly crash a couple of times, but nowhere in the overall classification. I'm glad he took part though!

I think the biggest tell as to how un-prepared/clued up they were was shakedown. Having a car park for only 500 cars then to have at least 300 motorhomes turn up and fill the place suggests they have never been to a European rally any time recently.

Were there that many Motorhomes? I saw a good number but I wouldn't have thought there were anywhere near 300! To be fair to the organisers I think they did somewhat anticipate the shakedown car park filling up, as for the first time that I can remember the nearby lay-bys were not blocked off and the verges on the B5105 looked to have been treated/had the grass cut in preparation for people to park on them. In previous years they've been roped off and the grass left long.

Had sun and a surprising amount of 4G this year. Long may it continue!

Indeed! The revelation or even revolution this year I found was the fairly widespread availability of 4G on EE at least. I coincidentally ended up with MrJan of this forum and other friends of him and Mintexmemory on Dyfi. From where we were I had the Rally Radio streaming for much of the morning and between Dyfi 1 & 2 we were able to watch a perfect live stream of Gartheiniog 2 on WRC+ on my phone! On Gwydyr on Sunday I had the Rally Radio going and got to watch Brenig 1 while waiting for Gwydyr to begin. After running half way back down the hill to the car after Gwydyr I was able to stream the Rally Radio in the car all the way from Betws-y-Coed to Llandudno, before watching Seb win the Championship and Elfyn win the rally on WRC+ after just parking up in the town! Brilliant stuff.

One day we'll look back at the days of not knowing what the hell was going on as a spectator and wonder how the heck we coped!

nice photo,but who is?

Also looks like Lappi from 2016 to me.

Mintexmemory
1st November 2017, 16:32
One day we'll look back at the days of not knowing what the hell was going on as a spectator and wonder how the heck we coped!

You won't remember the dark days of the late 70s / early 80s before the Internet and mobile phones the only way of keeping updated was the BT event info line, updated after every stage. If you were lucky there'd be half hour evening round up on BBC. Often you didn't know who'd won the stage you had spectated until the magazines came out!
Take it you went to the 2013 spot in Gwydyr ;)

MrJan
1st November 2017, 17:00
Indeed! The revelation or even revolution this year I found was the fairly widespread availability of 4G on EE at least. I coincidentally ended up with MrJan of this forum and other friends of him and Mintexmemory on Dyfi. From where we were I had the Rally Radio streaming for much of the morning and between Dyfi 1 & 2 we were able to watch a perfect live stream of Gartheiniog 2 on WRC+ on my phone!

A definite positive, thanks for sharing! I can safely say it's the first time that I've been able to watch a live stage while sat out in a Welsh forest :D

MrJan
1st November 2017, 17:01
You won't remember the dark days of the late 70s / early 80s before the Internet and mobile phones the only way of keeping updated was the BT event info line, updated after every stage.

My dad was saying that he used to have to phone to get updates. Said he'd spend half the day at work on the phone :laugh:

Simmi
1st November 2017, 18:17
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4467/24234433168_9372db2b3a_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvNEC)9 (https://flic.kr/p/CVvNEC) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr

This one makes me chuckle.

Coach 2
1st November 2017, 18:27
What has become clearer and clearer throughout this season, and as clear as possible in rally Wales, is how small the difference between cars and drivers is.
Give one of them a small advantage and he wins.
Communication between team, engineer and driver is the winning recipe now.

AndyRAC
1st November 2017, 19:40
I was in Hafren and Dyfnant - and I'm on EE, and had no signal stage side whilst watching. I had no idea what was happening. Add in the absence of any 87.7FM Rally Radio - and no updates from BBC Radio 2/5Live (as there used to be years ago). I only knew Elfyn was leading when driving from Hafren to Dyfnant on Friday evening when tuning into BBC Radio Wales.....

That was my only negative of an enjoyable, and historic weekend.

car
1st November 2017, 19:42
You know what, the last few pages of discussion and chat have been some of the best on this forum for a long time.
Maybe goes to show that a decent rally brings out some really great posts - Top job!

doubled1978
1st November 2017, 19:57
Got there early-ish and no problem at all at Shakedown. I thought that with it being a great opportinuty to see the 2017 cars for the first time and each having multipe runs, the logical thing was to arrive more than an hour before the safety car. Perhaps it was laggards who where not prepared, and not the organisers.

For me the general organisation of the parking was pretty grim, at shakedown they didn't seem to have filled the extra leg of car park road first, the furthest from the entrance off the road. When we walked in there didn't seem to be any cars parked down there at all. I heard the scanners for the tickets packed up also. The parking 'system' they had in place at Gartheniog was a shambles, I'm not sure why they didnt just fill from the top and turn people round as they worked back towards the entrance. They were sending everyone up to the top passed all the parked cars to turn round, then back again...it was ridiculous. Cars going in all directions in the end..

the sniper
1st November 2017, 21:18
Take it you went to the 2013 spot in Gwydyr ;)

Same entry point, different spot, a few hundred metres further into the stage. I'd seen it on a national rally video on board and thought it'd be good should Rally GB return to Gwydyr. Didn't disappoint! https://youtu.be/hPgMr0skG8Y

EstWRC
2nd November 2017, 13:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNkcKg3XkAITGTd.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNkyYgyW4AUIa60.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNiaNiEWkAAT6bk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNiPe0PWAAA5W1I.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNgpR2HUQAAzrcJ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNfpMLbW4AILWoj.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNfmSD-XUAIZqJS.jpg

dimviii
2nd November 2017, 15:04
Same entry point, different spot, a few hundred metres further into the stage. I'd seen it on a national rally video on board and thought it'd be good should Rally GB return to Gwydyr. Didn't disappoint! https://youtu.be/hPgMr0skG8Y

nice spot,any other drivers at same spot?

Jinu13
2nd November 2017, 17:05
Seeing as no-one else has posted, there's several articles on Wales Rally GB and Evans' win on BBC Sport http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport.
Read, comment and share and you'll see more of them. That's how the media game works.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd November 2017, 18:39
Evans home village... :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNphYMWW4AE5OB7.jpg

AndyRAC
2nd November 2017, 19:19
Drove through there on Saturday night, travelling from Dyfnant to Alwen/ Brenig...

dimviii
3rd November 2017, 15:33
Tim‏*@TiMoCoDesign
I captured this photo of @MariusAasen flying through Hafren 2 on last week’s @WalesRallyGB. Massive commitment over the crest! #wrgb2017

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNpvImtX0AYOf59.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd November 2017, 16:22
Impressive jump by 2WD winner, Chris Ingram:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNqVkHJXkAA_wIf.jpg

Great gallery from the same guy: http://www.darrenathersmith.com/Gallery/Motorsports/Rally/WRC-Wales-Rally-GB/

dimviii
3rd November 2017, 16:56
Sébastien Ogier‏
Verified account
*@SebOgier
9 years between my 1st and 500th @OfficialWRC stage win (Both in Sweet Lamb)
5 #WRC titles
40 victories (65 Podium)
500 stage wins

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNuRveoW0AANxhv.jpg

the sniper
4th November 2017, 01:09
nice spot,any other drivers at same spot?

https://youtu.be/VF0YMHRE028

Apologies for the delay, You Tube's video creator/editor has been removed so I had to find some other software for Android to stick the clips together...

Anyway, notice how Tanak cuts the arrow on the inside of the corner in half when he passes!

Simmi
4th November 2017, 09:39
https://youtu.be/VF0YMHRE028

Apologies for the delay, You Tube's video creator/editor has been removed so I had to find some other software for Android to stick the clips together...

Anyway, notice how Tanak cuts the arrow on the inside of the corner in half when he passes!

Sordo did not fancy that at all.

DemetriW1
7th November 2017, 11:50
Short highlights of the rally filmed with a GoPro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rphZWkZKfjY

Karukera
9th November 2017, 09:45
Still on time to celebrate Evans :beer:, Ogier/Ingrassia, Wilson Sr, his top pro croonies and eventually the cheapies at Ford.

Bunch'o wins and titles for a bargain, well done !