PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Teams

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

AnttiL
27th October 2017, 09:34
For 2018 Kris has #1 car, Breen #2..
Except if Ogier still sign with them, then all will move down: Kris #2, Breen/Lefebvre/Qassimi/Loeb #3

Biggest mistery is M-Sport. These drivers are in the game, but probably only 3 cars, maybe 4, I'm not sure:
-Elfyn Evans
-Sebastien Ogier
-Teemu Suninen
-Mads Ostberg
-Pontus Tidemand
-Eric Camilli
...and maybe Kalle Rovanperra

Not Rovanperä yet. But everyone else, yes. Although I thought Evans was already confirmed. If the likes of Tidemand, Camilli and Suninen will find budgets, Malcolm is happy to run as many cars as they let him enter (was that 6?)

mArvAlcao17
27th October 2017, 10:10
For 2018 Kris has #1 car, Breen #2..
Except if Ogier still sign with them, then all will move down: Kris #2, Breen/Lefebvre/Qassimi/Loeb #3

Biggest mistery is M-Sport. These drivers are in the game, but probably only 3 cars, maybe 4, I'm not sure:
-Elfyn Evans
-Sebastien Ogier
-Teemu Suninen
-Mads Ostberg
-Pontus Tidemand
-Eric Camilli
...and maybe Kalle Rovanperra

IMO Kalle is surely not drive the WRC car, for next year. need to wait until 2019..

ESTR
27th October 2017, 10:49
Colin and Becs are talking right now and I think I heard about Suninen, that he will not do the whole season in WRC car. 6 events... Somebody correct me

And about Kalle that he need first good season in WRC2 before stepping up.

AnttiL
27th October 2017, 10:52
Colin and Becs are talking right now and I think I heard about Suninen, that he will not do the whole season in WRC car. 6 events... Somebody correct me

It was Colin talking with Jouhki about some of his young drivers, but Colin wasn't sure if he meant Suninen or Rovanperä. Rovanperä will do 6 events.

wrc2017
27th October 2017, 11:08
what do you not understand. He is in yr 2 of a 3yr contract.
C'mon then o wise one, which part and why?

Mintexmemory
27th October 2017, 12:45
what do you not understand. He is in yr 2 of a 3yr contract.
....and have you never heard of 'break clauses,

ESTR
27th October 2017, 14:00
....and have you never heard of 'break clauses,

Total nonsense... M-Sport is not interested in any driver who is expecting to get paid and have not bunch of sponsors behind him..

And is the only team with available seats, so they will go with someone that can drive for free. Meeke is not one of them.

Citroen is not that stupid either that they will dropped him if he still have contract. They will still have to pay him for a year and he is not driving, so they need to get new driver and let's face it, if they complaining about costs they will sure not hire another driver if they have others signed already.

And they have Breen, Lefebvre, Qassimi and all three is still not capable of winning the events.

Myrvold
27th October 2017, 14:31
If the likes of Tidemand [snip] will find budgets, Malcolm is happy to run as many cars as they let him enter (was that 6?)

Even Management have said in a quite recent interview that they categorically do not pay to put drivers in WRC cars. As the moment you start to pay for a seat, that is expected of you, and you are branded a pay-driver. A WRC car is so expensive to fund, that by doing so, they are setting themselves up for an impossible task. It doesn't matter what your name is, they will never pay for a seat.
They can choose to let the driver drive for free. That's the reason why Mikkelsen did not drive for DMACK in 2017. DMACK wanted money, Mikkelsen and Even Management don't spend money. However, Mikkelsen have been doing the Citroën events, and will be doing the Hyundai events for free.

AnttiL
27th October 2017, 14:42
However, Mikkelsen have been doing the Citroën events, and will be doing the Hyundai events for free.

He still gets VW money this year?

Myrvold
27th October 2017, 15:13
He still gets VW money this year?

No idea. The only thing that was said, is that this year he have been driving for free in the WRC cars. Which can mean he still get VW money, or it can mean that by driving for other companies he willingly let go of the rest of the VW money (as it was not said that he drove for free for Skoda).

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2017, 15:16
New RedBull feature praising M-Sport 'giant-killers':

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/theredbulletin/malcolm-wilson-m-sport-interview-the-red-bulletin

Maybe they are going to be the big sponsor they have been looking for, and /or how they will keep Ogier ?

rhm
27th October 2017, 15:45
It's a sad situation when a rally winner is expected to pay to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RAS007
28th October 2017, 02:29
Total nonsense... M-Sport is not interested in any driver who is expecting to get paid and have not bunch of sponsors behind him...

Why the hell won't M-Sport pay a driver?

ESTR
28th October 2017, 05:49
Why the hell won't M-Sport pay a driver?

Ask Wilson, I don't know for sure why. I think that money isn't a problem (they are probably cheap), besides he is building a secret testing track for car manufacturers, that's clearly he grow his business.

But look it that way, he usually bring these youngsters and make them competitive and then works team grab them well prepared for attacking the rallies

Vahula
28th October 2017, 08:52
The M-SPort WRT team is only a expense and a promotional thing. And for a company, big expenses are not good for making profit (to promote the R5 that could only run the WRC2 team). So they do not need to have best drivers. If they have someone paying the expenses then they are happy.

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 06:21
Ogier:

yes, this sport still gives me strong emotion. Right now I have no announcement, maybe soon. I’m sure some of you here have made the right guess or the right bet, but I’m not 100 per cent sure, I’m still thinking and still analysing. There is one offer from my wife and she’s pushing pretty hard to keep me home, but I know I still need some adrenalin, let’s see.

https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-i-was-determined-nobody-was-going-get-way-time-elfyn-evans

ESTR
30th October 2017, 07:49
So by the word of Neuville, Neuville will be there, rest of the guys will sharing cars maybe?

Seb could quit?

Evans is in M-Sport...

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 07:56
So by the word of Neuville, Neuville will be there, rest of the guys will sharing cars maybe?

Seb could quit?.

Neuville and Mikkelsen will have a full season at Hyundai, nothing confirmed for Paddon and Sordo.

Seb just said above that he still wants to continue the sport.

racerx1979
30th October 2017, 08:51
Sordo and Paddon will surely be splitting time in the Hyundai with Sordo doing all the Tarmac events including Spain and Hayden gravel.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 08:55
Sordo and Paddon will surely be splitting time in the Hyundai with Sordo doing all the Tarmac events including Spain and Hayden gravel.

Sordo: Monte-Carlo, Tour De Corse, Germany, Spain (4 events)
Paddon: all of the rest (9 events)

You know that this is not fair...

mknight
30th October 2017, 08:55
There was a rumor about Sordo not driving in 2018 and probably going to rallycross.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 08:57
and Paddon have huge support from Hyundai New Zealand and other sponsors...

mArvAlcao17
30th October 2017, 09:07
There was a rumor about Sordo not driving in 2018 and probably going to rallycross.

any link about that?

ESTR
30th October 2017, 09:12
any link about that?

Strong rumours are only about Hyundai and Marcus Gronholm involving, I didn't find anything about Sordo being there too. If they make a car surely seat is taken by his son Niclas Gronholm (now he drives fiesta).

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 09:28
I (one)bet that Østberg is frustrated with his season. Change of co-driver, change of team, skipped events, lots of technical problems where the M-Sport cars didn't have any. If he's offered a seat at M-Sport I don't think he will think twice. The downside of this is that it would take a WRC seat off some newcomer. Or maybe he could take his personal sponsor money to M-Sport for a four-car team? Probably also depends on Ogier's decision...

mknight
30th October 2017, 09:34
any link about that?

Nope, A. Grøndal said he heard it during the live broadcast of PowerStage.

RS
30th October 2017, 10:16
I (one)bet that Østberg is frustrated with his season. Change of co-driver, change of team, skipped events, lots of technical problems where the M-Sport cars didn't have any. If he's offered a seat at M-Sport I don't think he will think twice. The downside of this is that it would take a WRC seat off some newcomer. Or maybe he could take his personal sponsor money to M-Sport for a four-car team? Probably also depends on Ogier's decision...

I hope Mads doesn’t take one of the main seats at MSport but if he wants to pay for a fourth car that could be good for him, no more excuses.

Ogier-Evans and Suninen in DMack sounds like a nice lineup to me.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 10:35
I hope Mads doesn’t take one of the main seats at MSport but if he wants to pay for a fourth car that could be good for him, no more excuses.

Ogier-Evans and Suninen in DMack sounds like a nice lineup to me.

Fuck suninen. I would go with Pontus. He is capable more than Suninen. If Suninen were that good he would not be sitting on third place. And with M-Sport team (sure he do 2 events in WRC car), but he isn't quite there yet.

Tarmop
30th October 2017, 10:39
Thats why he could benefit from DMack. Seems to be great for learning consistency and preserving but fast driving (as he already showed quite promising speed on his two outings). Would be nice to see Tidemand as well though.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 10:45
Thats why he could benefit from DMack. Seems to be great for learning consistency and preserving but fast driving (as he already showed quite promising speed on his two outings). Would be nice to see Tidemand as well though.

Pontus need challenge. Most of the year he was just cruising because of mistakes other have doing.

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 10:55
Fuck suninen. I would go with Pontus. He is capable more than Suninen. If Suninen were that good he would not be sitting on third place. And with M-Sport team (sure he do 2 events in WRC car), but he isn't quite there yet.

Tidemand was great this year, but it's hard to say until we see him in a WRC2017 car. Suninen was already setting fastest times from the first day in the car and fought for the podium in Finland. Also, Suninen wasn't really focusing on his WRC season, he could have probably won Finland easily had he driven a WRC2 there. And then there's the Fabia vs Fiesta factor, but yeah...Tidemand was great this year.

Rally Power
30th October 2017, 12:49

Grow up! Everybody is entitled to have favorites but that’s no reason to insult other drivers. Suninen beat Tidemand fair and square last year in equal cars and this year, like AntiL mentioned, his head was more on the WRC deal than on the WRC2 fight. For sure Tidemand is also a great driver and deserves a chance on a WRC car, but after Finland no one should doubt that Suninen’s place is among the WRC elite.

Allez Andruet
30th October 2017, 12:55
Fuck suninen.
Fuck you.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 12:59
Fuck you.

Who ask you anything...

Allez Andruet
30th October 2017, 13:02
Who ask you anything...
Some idiot who wrote "fuck Suninen".

ESTR
30th October 2017, 13:04
Some idiot who wrote "fuck Suninen".

Now you sound like an idiot... But don't worry you can't drag me to your level... :cool:

dimviii
30th October 2017, 13:05
Who ask you anything...

its enough,stop it.

pantealex
30th October 2017, 13:24

This year:
Suninen 29 WRC points
Tidemand 4 WRC points

For me both reserve WRC seat and both are probably faster than some of drivers who are driving WRC17 machinery.

Rallyper
30th October 2017, 13:40
Everybody talking about their own country drivers. Finland now has many upcomers and WRDC material for the future. But what much more has Pontus to prove to get everybody happy? He does deserve a seat in 2017 no matter what happens to all others. (Finns, French, Irish, British or whatever)

dupanton
30th October 2017, 13:57
Suninen prooved he is fast in Finland and Poland, fast dry smooth gravel roads. But what will he do in Mexico? Monte Carlo? Corsica? Wales?
He is among the top in his own country, but in other rallies it will be much more difficult to achieve the same results.
Tidemand and Suninen both deserve a full season in a WRC but have both still a lot to learn.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 14:27
Some statistics over Tidemand & Suninen...

Suninen:
-Championships won: 0
-Rallies won: 5 (WRC2), 2 (WRC3)
-Podiums: 10 (WRC2), 2 (WRC3)
-Other: 1 won in Euro RX (Super1600), 2 podiums EuroRX (Super1600)
-Retires: 2

TIDEMAND:
-Championships won: 1 (JWRC), 1 (WRC2)
-Rallies won: 3 (JWRC), 8 (WRC2)
-Podiums: 1 (SWRC), 8 (JWRC), 17 (WRC2), overall podium (JWRC)
-Retires: 7
-Other: 1 podium EuroRX (Supercar), Overall Podium on EuroRX championship (Supercar)

btw Tidemand become most successful driver in WRC2 with most wins.

Sure Suninen have 2 events in WRC '17 car. And he show some speed there (but if he wouldn't pay for these drives then he wouldn't have it).

We will see who will have more backing and get into the DMACK car maybe...

AL14
30th October 2017, 14:33
Some statistics over Tidemand & Suninen...

Suninen:
-Championships won: 0
-Rallies won: 5 (WRC2), 2 (WRC3)
-Podiums: 10 (WRC2), 2 (WRC3)
-Other: 1 won in Euro RX (Super1600), 2 podiums EuroRX (Super1600)
-Retires: 2

TIDEMAND:
-Championships won: 1 (JWRC), 1 (WRC2)
-Rallies won: 3 (JWRC), 8 (WRC2)
-Podiums: 1 (SWRC), 8 (JWRC), 17 (WRC2), overall podium (JWRC)
-Retires: 7
-Other: 1 podium EuroRX (Supercar), Overall Podium on EuroRX championship (Supercar)

btw Tidemand become most successful driver in WRC2 with most wins.

Sure Suninen have 2 events in WRC '17 car. And he show some speed there (but if he wouldn't pay for these drives then he wouldn't have it).

We will see who will have more backing and get into the DMACK car maybe...

No point to compare raw numbers without taking into account that Pontus is in WRC since 2012 (or was it 13?) while Suninen made his debut in a 4WD 2 years ago.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 14:43
No point to compare raw numbers without taking into account that Pontus is in WRC since 2012 (or was it 13?) while Suninen made his debut in a 4WD 2 years ago.

In 2012 Tidemand race only one event in 4WD S2000 car (he finished on 3rd place)...

The rest 2012 & 2013 season he drove FWD Fiesta.

In 2014 he enter 3 events with r5 car (2 podiums, one 4th place).

Real season in 4WD car come in 2015 and forwards.

So that mean he have 4 rallies more experience in 4WD car than Teemu. Teemu have 2 in WRC '17, Pontus none.

Aren't that quite equal??

electroliquid
30th October 2017, 14:51
Talking about experience Suninen did 51 rally (according ewrc-results.com) while Tidemand 111 - thats twice. Also Tidemand did APRC with diferent roads and conditions. Is Tidemand better - I think so, Suninen still quite raw, but fast enough to do OK in WRC already. So gat is not that big, as ESTR trying to prove.

N.O.T
30th October 2017, 14:56

Watch your language kid...

ESTR
30th October 2017, 15:05
Watch your language kid...

Best of all you are loud here, while everytime you comment on someone you insult people wit potato, how stupid everyone is and that everyone is a kids. And I don't mention how you insult Neuville wit potato comments... I just say you are probably some 35 old dude still living with parents. So shhh here!

JUF
30th October 2017, 15:12
Can´t we just agree that both Suninen and Tidemand deserve a shot in a World Rally Car? Maybe not a full season next year, but at least six or seven rounds?

AL14
30th October 2017, 15:24
In 2012 Tidemand race only one event in 4WD S2000 car (he finished on 3rd place)...

The rest 2012 & 2013 season he drove FWD Fiesta.

In 2014 he enter 3 events with r5 car (2 podiums, one 4th place).

Real season in 4WD car come in 2015 and forwards.

So that mean he have 4 rallies more experience in 4WD car than Teemu. Teemu have 2 in WRC '17, Pontus none.

Aren't that quite equal??

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Before Suninen made his first appearance with R5 Tidemand was already in the WRC2 and made other appearances with R5, and also drove a WRC in 2014 in Sweden.

AL14
30th October 2017, 15:27
Can´t we just agree that both Suninen and Tidemand deserve a shot in a World Rally Car? Maybe not a full season next year, but at least six or seven rounds?

Yes but discussion about who deserve more, if made properly without motherland glasses, can be interesting.
As I already said, if I were a team principal I would go with Teemu over Pontus.

Rally Power
30th October 2017, 15:28
Can´t we just agree that both Suninen and Tidemand deserve a shot in a World Rally Car?

Yep, that’s actually the main point: there’s no need to undermine Suninen in order to praise Tidemand (or vice versa).

Rally is the coolest motorsport form: drivers don’t compete directly against each others; they compete against the clock. It’s a much friendlier environment than circuit racing. We should act likewise and try to respect all top drivers, not just those we tend to prefer.

Rallyper
30th October 2017, 15:57
They also compete against or after money. You have money you drive the best.

Suninen was a very small margin to crash in Finland. Normally it should have been a DNF, however he managed it and had a podium in his home event. Which according to most of you guys doesn´t count.

I believe though, Suninen will be in a 17 car next year. So will Tidemand.

dimviii
30th October 2017, 16:11
Which according to most of you guys doesn´t count.

nobody said that it doesn't ``count``
we said that inside your homeland rally is much more easier to be fast,and that they need too much work because they have no experience.
See Lappis performances after Finland for reference.

AMSS
30th October 2017, 16:35
They also compete against or after money. You have money you drive the best.

Suninen was a very small margin to crash in Finland. Normally it should have been a DNF, however he managed it and had a podium in his home event. Which according to most of you guys doesn´t count.

I believe though, Suninen will be in a 17 car next year. So will Tidemand.

Suninen actually lost the podium due to his off..

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 17:07

Yeh, he could have been second even after missing a chicane on saturday, but fell to fourth, which was still a better result than the likes of Tänak or Neuville could pull off.

Another thing about comparing the results of Tidemand and Suninen is that Tidemand has been in the Skoda factory team for three years, while Suninen has been driving in various private teams. That must give different circumstances for testing oppoturnities and race kilometres. Also, Tidemand is 4 years older than Suninen.

But ultimately the team bosses will at most look at your past season and estimate how good you would be on the next seasons and the season after that. And in the case of M-Sport, the budget must be there as well. Suninen has the advance that he has shown that he can be fast in a WRC car. Some drivers can never do that although they are the fastest in JWRC or WRC2.

At the same time, I would love to see how quick Tidemand would be in a WRC17 car, in an event that's good for him like Sweden or Portugal.

AMSS
30th October 2017, 17:13
Didn`t Tidemand do rally Sweden some years ago in a WRC car, setting some really good stage times if I remember correctly..??

tommeke_B
30th October 2017, 17:20
Didn`t Tidemand do rally Sweden some years ago in a WRC car, setting some really good stage times if I remember correctly..??

Yes. In 2013 he was doing his first Rally Sweden with Fiesta WRC. It was really impressive to see him driving back then, that weekend nobody would have thought he wouldn't be driving a WRC car by now...

Mirek
30th October 2017, 17:24
Also 2014 Sweden and Norway.

spiderem
30th October 2017, 17:27
some very passionate argument in here with no outcome. People must have too much time on their hands.

Hartusvuori
30th October 2017, 17:31
some very passionate argument in here with no outcome. People must have too much time on their hands.

My exact description of rallying.

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 18:07
or message boards :)

Rallyper
30th October 2017, 18:17
nobody said that it doesn't ``count``
we said that inside your homeland rally is much more easier to be fast,and that they need too much work because they have no experience.
See Lappis performances after Finland for reference.

That´s what I meant. Maybe only wrong words.

Rallyper
30th October 2017, 18:19

Sorry. My bad. But had a fourth from maybe a second or third. don´t remember exactly now. Anyway.

AL14
30th October 2017, 18:20
some very passionate argument in here with no outcome. People must have too much time on their hands.I don't understand what you are trying to say

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00LD utilizzando Tapatalk

mknight
30th October 2017, 19:48
If the choice is between Tidemand and Sunninen for WRC in 2018 I'd go with Tidemand.

I dare say that there are generally more examples of drivers going WRC too early and then getting kicked early than the other way around.

That said if it comes to M-Sport it will be a lot about money. Tidemand's manager (Veiby) does not seem to be on a very good note with Malcolm (ref. Mikkelsen) and refuses to pay for drives. Sunninen's manager (Joukhi) is very much the opposite on both accounts.

WRC1
30th October 2017, 21:35
Sebastien Ogier told in ServusTV interview that he still has something to do in rallyesport, so a year off or quit with rallye is not in question....but he would not say something with wich team he will go next year, but once more he said he would love to stay at m-sport IF there will be some factory support...

ESTR
30th October 2017, 22:04
Sebastien Ogier told in ServusTV interview that he still has something to do in rallyesport, so a year off or quit with rallye is not in question....but he would not say something with wich team he will go next year, but once more he said he would love to stay at m-sport IF there will be some factory support...

Maybe there is factory support next year. clues coming day by day...

Franky
31st October 2017, 06:05
As a next challenge, Ogier could try to do it in a DMACK car :D

EstWRC
31st October 2017, 07:14
That would be awesome :D

AnttiL
31st October 2017, 07:17
Yeah, Röhrl, Kankkunen and Loeb have also won championships with two tyre brands. Loeb with three actually.

mknight
31st October 2017, 10:03
Yeah but for Loeb 2 times everyone was driving on the same tire, so wouldn't really say it counts.

mousti
31st October 2017, 12:57
Yeah, Röhrl, Kankkunen and Loeb have also won championships with two tyre brands. Loeb with three actually.Besides the other name it was a Michelin tyre :p

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

AnttiL
31st October 2017, 13:12
Besides the other name it was a Michelin tyre :p

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

You mean BF Goodrich? Good to know, I basically skipped following rallying between 2003 and 2016, now I just looked at old pictures to see which tyre brand was used. It's good to be back though :)

Andre Oliveira
31st October 2017, 13:30
Welcome back to life AnttiL eheh how you survived?

AnttiL
31st October 2017, 17:33
https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/evans-msport-dmack-ogier-suninen-973502/amp/

Evans to the main M-Sport team, Suninen to have six events, DMACK team future looking uncertain

AnttiL
31st October 2017, 17:33
Welcome back to life AnttiL eheh how you survived?

Apparently I skipped all the boring years :)

SubaruNorway
31st October 2017, 17:48
Apparently I skipped all the boring years :)

Good thing rallying is a sport you can enjoy without bothering so much with the results, 2009 was close to the end though!

Fast Eddie WRC
31st October 2017, 18:15
Looks to me like Ogier is just waiting on Ford's decision now on whether he continues (at MSport). If no Ford support, he'll retire.

electroliquid
31st October 2017, 18:34
..Suninen to have six events.. It's maybe a good way to train WRC drivers step by step, instead of giving all season, and to see that it was too soon.

SubaruNorway
31st October 2017, 19:22
Interview with Østberg, going private in the same matter not an option but hoping to secure a full season. One off events in rallycross possible but does not want to change sport, that's the gist of it.

https://parcferme.no/nyheter/rally-ostberg-utelukker-a-prove-rallycross/

ESTR
31st October 2017, 19:34
Looks to me like Ogier is just waiting on Ford's decision now on whether he continues (at MSport). If no Ford support, he'll retire.

Or maybe if wife will offer him better option. (joke)

racerx1979
31st October 2017, 21:17
I highly doubt he will retire if Ford does not get involved.

RS
1st November 2017, 09:12
Interview with Østberg, going private in the same matter not an option but hoping to secure a full season. One off events in rallycross possible but does not want to change sport, that's the gist of it.

I had the impression Mads wanted to run his own team because of the ‘problems’ he had whilst in the works team, so interesting he now wants to go back on that.

When are the FIA making a decision on four car teams? Fourth MSport car would be a good role for him.

rhm
1st November 2017, 09:23
Ogier:
5 million to stay at MSport or he will retire.

car
1st November 2017, 09:28
Ogier:

Is this reliable info?

Zeakiwi
1st November 2017, 09:42
Probably loose change compared to what Red Bull is spending in Formula 1

tommeke_B
1st November 2017, 09:42
If RedBull is paying, yes...

EstWRC
1st November 2017, 10:21
He got 5 million for this season too.

AnttiL
1st November 2017, 10:23

He also says he might do some ERC events next year, and one option would be to sacrifice full WRC season for good results in single rallies, although it would not be optimal. He says being a privateer does not work with the new cars, since they need so much support from the factory.

I had the impression Mads wanted to run his own team because of the ‘problems’ he had whilst in the works team, so interesting he now wants to go back on that.
It's been quite clear his car has had problems that the factory cars never had.

When are the FIA making a decision on four car teams? Fourth MSport car would be a good role for him.

If they went to four car teams to 2018, would it be too late to announce it now?

spyros
1st November 2017, 10:41
Is this reliable info?

Its on table but MW cant do miracles,they are talking RB so there is hope,we will know at OZ.

focus206
1st November 2017, 11:16
Ogier:

I hope it is not the case. If he'd retire "just" because of this, he'd be boring so say the least. I'm confident he can find a solution though.

mknight
1st November 2017, 11:16
6 events for Suninen sounds good to me. Not too few, not too many. Hopefully with R5 in between.

ESTR
1st November 2017, 11:26
And probably Ogi don't want to risk his reputation by going into Citroen. Maybe if they do good on Australia, but I doubt that. I think that if he got 5 mio on the table, Citroen maybe place a little higher or the same.. Like they say how badly they want him it's no point giving him less than that.. Or otherwise they are cheap as hell.

AnttiL
1st November 2017, 11:32
6 events for Suninen sounds good to me. Not too few, not too many. Hopefully with R5 in between.

Sweden, Portugal, Sardegna/Turkey, Finland, Catalunya and Wales would probably be a good season. But will there be budget left for R5 runs, and for sure he couldn't do enough for a proper WRC2 campaign.

rhm
1st November 2017, 14:37
And probably Ogi don't want to risk his reputation by going into Citroen. Maybe if they do good on Australia, but I doubt that. I think that if he got 5 mio on the table, Citroen maybe place a little higher or the same.. Like they say how badly they want him it's no point giving him less than that.. Or otherwise they are cheap as hell.

I don't believe Citroen have the budget.

ESTR
1st November 2017, 15:13

If that's it then what the hell are they doing in sport? You can't win race for free, and importantly championship

Simmi
1st November 2017, 15:19
If they went to four car teams to 2018, would it be too late to announce it now?

Yeah I think that idea has been binned off, for next year at least.

mknight
1st November 2017, 15:36

Well in at least two articles after Germany Matton said how focused they were only on getting Ogier and that it was the reason why they let Mikkelsen go.

If they now don't get Ogier either it will be one more item on the list of his fails this year. Let's list the main ones:

1. Didn't get any of the 3 VW drivers (and said he was not interested in Latvala or Mikkelsen at all), now out of those 3:
- Ogier won the championship
- Latvala was 4th, while Citroen main driver will be 6th or 7th
- Mikkelsen was taken into the team 6 months later and first after he came changes on the car were made, he also gave the team one of the 3 podiums

Meanwhile out of his 3 drivers, one driver got 8 crashes in 11 rallies, another got 4 crashes in 7 rallies and has only shown decent speed in a single rally

2. Came with a twitchy car on gravel after a year of preparation

3. Arrived in Monte and Sweden "without a good setup" (his own words)

4. His coaching of Meeke after Corsica "Kris should focus on getting single rally wins and not on championship", resulted in 4 DNFs with multiple destroyed cars and his main driver benched.

I really do wonder how he convinces his bosses that he is the right man for the job.

ESTR
1st November 2017, 16:18
4 car team, manus complain about costs, so no go from them. involve satellite teams again to have more teams in championship...

about citroen. you don't say anything about breen. He is the only one who manage to hold this team up. and don't forget teoretically they still have chance of being 3rd on manufacturer championship.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st November 2017, 16:29
Well in at least two articles after Germany Matton said how focused they were only on getting Ogier and that it was the reason why they let Mikkelsen go.

If they now don't get Ogier either it will be one more item on the list of his fails this year. Let's list the main ones:

1. Didn't get any of the 3 VW drivers (and said he was not interested in Latvala or Mikkelsen at all), now out of those 3:
- Mikkelsen was taken into the team 6 months later and first after he came changes on the car were made, he also gave the team one of the 3 podiums

Meanwhile out of his 3 drivers, one driver got 8 crashes in 11 rallies, another got 4 crashes in 7 rallies and has only shown decent speed in a single rally

4. His coaching of Meeke after Corsica "Kris should focus on getting single rally wins and not on championship", resulted in 4 DNFs with multiple destroyed cars and his main driver benched.

I really do wonder how he convinces his bosses that he is the right man for the job.

5. Citroen tested for Wales Rally GB in France, on dry dusty gravel. Matton: 'It's very expensive to test in Welsh forests...'

He's a a joke.

rhm
1st November 2017, 17:21
about citroen. you don't say anything about breen. He is the only one who manage to hold this team up.

Breen currently doesn't have the ultimate pace to finish on the podium. Consistency is fantastic but he needs a little more time to develop into a consistent podium finisher.

CWJ
1st November 2017, 18:36
5. Citroen tested for Wales Rally GB in France, on dry dusty gravel. Matton: 'It's very expensive to test in Welsh forests...' He's a a joke.

Well lets say the one who is responsible for budget and results should make the decision. And, under the line, what would be different in results, positions and championship standings from that? Nothing?

mknight
1st November 2017, 18:55
5. Citroen tested for Wales Rally GB in France, on dry dusty gravel. Matton: 'It's very expensive to test in Welsh forests...'

He's a a joke.

They did the same with Mikkelsen testing for Sardinia, 1 day test on gravel in France with no setup changes.

Anyway I wouldn't really rate this as management issue that much. As CWJ wrote, nothing would have changed if they placed 1-2 places higher in Wales. If it really was expensive it's better to use the money for further development rather than testing for the one specific gravel rally.

car
1st November 2017, 19:13

Very well said, I’ve often thought just how much pressure this guy is actually under, given how he seems to manage the team.
If this was Ferrari he would have been fired about four times by now.
Makes me think he might be away at the season end.
I know Meeke wasn’t performing too well, but dropping him was ruthless and, like you pointed out, had a massively negative impact on his next few results. I just don’t get that if I can see how plainly obvious the outcome to such a situation is likely to be, why the hell can’t the guy who’s paid a lot of money to manage the team see the same thing?
Shocking man-management!
Also, the car is a shit box. I know I’ll get shot down by those on this site who think this sounds stupid, but I actually think you can see by looking at the photos that it looks too heavy over the rear of the car and it certainly handles pretty bad in the flesh (I know this contradicts the fact that Meeke said the car felt good this last weekend, but I honestly think he was being diplomatic to protect the brand. I watched that car in the stages a few times last weekend and the back just comes round way too fast. I was stood on a steep Bank in Dyfnant, looking down (and from the side) of the cars as they came from left to right and they were all in fifth or possibly sixth. Most of the cars seemed to handle at the mercy of their drivers and pick a (straightish) line through the three or four switchback-corners, but the Citroen literally twitched from left to right really rapidly.
They have a lot of work or a complete redesign to do on that car...
Or they might even pull the plug before next year, given the money PSA will probably need to put aside if they are to be exposed in the dieselgate scandal.

dimviii
1st November 2017, 19:18
Colins kitchen table
https://youtu.be/rrbYNzYzDsw

mknight
1st November 2017, 20:09
Colins kitchen table

Well he voices what I wrote here as early as February when I compared them with 2008 Subaru, that Citroen's future might be in trouble. Cause if they don't get Ogier they won't have realistic chances for manu champs, even with 5-6 rallies with Loeb.

Other than that (and the talk about Ogier) he does seem a bit "blinded by the GB-factor," most notably:

- saying Evans would have won in Wales even on Michelins
- saying that Evans will charge for title next year no matter what team he drives for
and
- that M-Sport/Ford with Ogier+Evans+Suninen will be favorites for manu champ next year, imo both Toyota and Hyundai look stronger on paper.

Simmi
1st November 2017, 20:55
So is it now fair to say, the best WRC driver without a win is... Craig Breen.

A guy with 16 factory WRC starts. Nice situation.

There are rally winners everywhere you look now. And I deliberately haven't mentioned Hanninen as he won't be in the sport next year.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st November 2017, 22:43
Well lets say the one who is responsible for budget and results should make the decision. And, under the line, what would be different in results, positions and championship standings from that? Nothing?

Missed the point completely. If Matton had anything about him he'd be insisting on the testing being held in the right place. Citroen will never be successful again with this current weak management.

denkimi
2nd November 2017, 00:10

There are rally winners everywhere you look now. And I deliberately haven't mentioned Hanninen as he won't be in the sport next year.

don't worry. sordo had to wait 95 wrc rally's for his first win.

tomhlord
2nd November 2017, 10:03
Colins kitchen table

It's true, Gerard Quinn being on the podium in team kit was very interesting indeed. https://twitter.com/WRCgerardquinn/status/925273886018691072

Colin speculates that's it's Ford of Europe potentially offering funding to secure Ogier. That's a different pot of money than the ex-WRX Block Ford Performance money.

Simmi
2nd November 2017, 10:21
Gerard seems like a rally guy through and through though. Doesn't seem like he needs any convincing to go to events and be a part of it. It's his bosses that will need their arm twisting. It does seem that Ford of Europe would be the best way forward, as opposed to Ford Performance.

I don't think the Americans care about WRC or marketing the Fiesta one bit.

pantealex
2nd November 2017, 10:37
I deliberately haven't mentioned Hanninen as he won't be in the sport next year.

Source ?

In Finland there has been NO news about his retirement...

Mirek
2nd November 2017, 10:56
Juho himself said he wouldn't be paying for a drive anywhere (he specifically mentioned M-Sport as the only option for that) and currently it looks like he won't be given a seat in WRC by any manufacturer either. In my understanding Mäkinen offers only a test driver's position.

AnttiL
2nd November 2017, 11:02

https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/925804304321142791

Who's gonna be the next maiden winner? Whoever it is, I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen in 2018.

rallyfiend
2nd November 2017, 11:06
Gerard seems like a rally guy through and through though. Doesn't seem like he needs any convincing to go to events and be a part of it.

He was the guy in charge when they left.

He clearly didn't put together a convincing enough business case to keep them in.....

Simmi
2nd November 2017, 11:07
Source ?

In Finland there has been NO news about his retirement...

My wording wasn't brilliant - I meant he won't be in the WRC (top line) next year. As in, he won't be able to win a round of the championship.

Roy
2nd November 2017, 11:29
Gerard seems like a rally guy through and through though. Doesn't seem like he needs any convincing to go to events and be a part of it. It's his bosses that will need their arm twisting. It does seem that Ford of Europe would be the best way forward, as opposed to Ford Performance.

I don't think the Americans care about WRC or marketing the Fiesta one bit.

From financial view: Ford Motor Co did good work in Third Quarter. Only Ford did in Europe in comparison to last year not so good. Given reasons are Brexit, Fiesta launch and commodities/raw material. How much can Ford Europe invest in WRC as they also have a expensive and ambitious GT programme?

macebig
2nd November 2017, 11:46
Let's see. Ford of Europe can't do much other than sponsor M Sport for marketing purposes. Only FoMoCo in Detroit can help in full backing (meaning development +technical +money). If Wilson thinks that covering Ogier's wages is enough, it's OK. If they want something more, things are questionable.

Rallyper
2nd November 2017, 13:22
Other than that (and the talk about Ogier) he does seem a bit "blinded by the GB-factor," most notably:

- saying Evans would have won in Wales even on Michelins

On Michelins he wouldn´t have won. That´s for sure. Tyres played a big role, so win on Michelin, no. Maybe podium for Evans in that case.

AndyRAC
2nd November 2017, 13:45
He was the guy in charge when they left.

He clearly didn't put together a convincing enough business case to keep them in.....

I doubt anybody could have persuaded them to stay. The business case at the time obviously didn't add up.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd November 2017, 14:12
Juho himself said he wouldn't be paying for a drive anywhere (he specifically mentioned M-Sport as the only option for that) and currently it looks like he won't be given a seat in WRC by any manufacturer either. In my understanding Mäkinen offers only a test driver's position.

Looks like I met him as a WRC driver just in time...

Really nice guy, shame he never got where his early potential was promising.

https://i.imgur.com/BuDabHm.jpg

He crashed out 15 mins later and that's the end of his WRC career. :(

EstWRC
2nd November 2017, 14:30
Hyundai could still reshuffle 2018 WRC drivers

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/hyundai-could-still-reshuffle-2018-wrc-drivers/

Simmi
2nd November 2017, 14:39
Hyundai could still reshuffle 2018 WRC drivers

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/hyundai-could-still-reshuffle-2018-wrc-drivers/

All I can read into this is that Nandan doesn't want to come out and flat say that he's created a driver hierarchy within the team. But it clearly seems that this is the case.

There's no way they will rotate Thierry or Andreas next year unless they have some sort of Meeke-style meltdown and the championship is gone. The big question is how many rounds car they afford to run four cars, and/or will Dani and Hayden be able to bring sponsors to the table to ensure more rounds.

pantealex
2nd November 2017, 14:54
On Michelins he wouldn´t have won. That´s for sure. Tyres played a big role, so win on Michelin, no. Maybe podium for Evans in that case.

To me it´s 50/50, maybe also win with Michelin, he really did drive very well.

EstWRC
2nd November 2017, 14:58
I on the other hand seriously doubt that he had won with Michelin...For sure he did drive well but for me he just isnt on the same level as this years championship TOP4 guys who he did beat. And previous years in WRC class and last year in WRC2 class didnt convince me too.

but the thing is, it is very difficult to tell...maybe indeed he has made a huge progress and now is on the same level? i guess we will find out next season.

AL14
2nd November 2017, 15:22
I on the other hand seriously doubt that he had won with Michelin...For sure he did drive well but for me he just isnt on the same level as this years championship TOP4 guys who he did beat. And previous years in WRC class and last year in WRC2 class didnt convince me too.

but the thing is, it is very difficult to tell...maybe indeed he has made a huge progress and now is on the same level? i guess we will find out next season.

Evans won and I'm happy he is in the club of WRC rallys winner because he is a nice and talented guy. Hat off to him for all the commitment he showed throughout the years. But let's be honest, he has never been near the TOP guys in terms of pace as you rightfully say. I don't think he just woke up with 0.5s/km more speed in his right foot. DMACK have had a role there, and for me it's not difficult to say.

Anyway DMACK season seems to be an improving one, because you drive with the excuse of the tires if things goes wrong. It worked with Tanak, because it gives you much less pressure and you can focus on improving your mind and your driving. I'm sure that for the same reason Evans is now a stronger driver than before, but with michelins I don't think he would have won.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd November 2017, 15:28
I have to admit that Evans had advantage's on Rally GB - namely DMACK's & competing on his home stages - but he absolutely maximised them.

He was consistently fast, made no mistakes in very tricky conditions with his lower start order & held his nerve perfectly under the pressure of his first WRC win.

I believe he would've won on Michelin's, just that it would've been closer.

Simmi
2nd November 2017, 15:37
Finnish members - do you think Jouhki would be interested in the Dmack drive for Suninen - for the reasons listed above (relatively lack of pressure/some events with tyre advantage/very much a third car/proven progression to works team)?

Or would he want to get Teemu in a full Michelin car on a level field with the factory drivers?

er88
2nd November 2017, 15:51

but the thing is, it is very difficult to tell...maybe indeed he has made a huge progress and now is on the same level? i guess we will find out next season.Meeke hasn't been on the same level as the top 4 this season (even if you ignore how iffy the car has been) yet has won two events, and it would've been 3 had the car not blown up in Corsica. Lappi isn't on the same level as those guys either but he won in Finland.

Point is, even if Evans isn't on the same level doesnt mean he can't win a specific event like Wales even if he was on Michelins. He absolutely dominated it, made no mistakes throughout unlike Thierry and Seb. He also had a poorer road position. We will likely never know, but I think he would've done enough to win on Michelins. Superb drive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

EstWRC
2nd November 2017, 16:29
I meant speedwise, Meeke for me definitely is on the same same level speed wise as TOP4 guys and Mikkelsen, consistency wise of course not.

Like i said, he did drive well and hats off but i cant agree that he had won with MIchelins too. This is just my opinion.

AL14 sums pretty much up what i wanted to say.

AnttiL
2nd November 2017, 17:03
Finnish members - do you think Jouhki would be interested in the Dmack drive for Suninen - for the reasons listed above (relatively lack of pressure/some events with tyre advantage/very much a third car/proven progression to works team)?

Or would he want to get Teemu in a full Michelin car on a level field with the factory drivers?

If the choice is 6 rallies with own funding and Michelins or full season with DMacks, I think full season is better.

macebig
2nd November 2017, 18:28
I believe next year M Sport will all run Michelin. The D Mack car will be a separate entry (like Ostberg was this year).

Duvel
2nd November 2017, 19:14
[QUOTE=AnttiL;1161746]https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/925804304321142791

Who's gonna be the next maiden winner? Whoever it is, I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen in 2018.[/QUOTE

And what iff tidemand or sunninen get a proper m-sport program, think they both could suprise on some events. Breen can probably score some podiums if the car gets more consistent.

AnttiL
2nd November 2017, 19:17
And what iff tidemand or sunninen get a proper m-sport program, think they both could suprise on some events. Breen can probably score some podiums if the car gets more consistent.

Well those are the next three winners if they keep progressing and having drives, but I don't think any of them are ready for that in 2018.

rhm
2nd November 2017, 23:14
Meeke hasn't been on the same level as the top 4 this season (even if you ignore how iffy the car has been) yet has won two events, and it would've been 3 had the car not blown up in Corsica. Lappi isn't on the same level as those guys either but he won in Finland.

Point is, even if Evans isn't on the same level doesnt mean he can't win a specific event like Wales even if he was on Michelins. He absolutely dominated it, made no mistakes throughout unlike Thierry and Seb. He also had a poorer road position. We will likely never know, but I think he would've done enough to win on Michelins. Superb drive.

The key point is Ogier and Tanak both knew Evans had a significant advantage before the rally started being on the DMack tyres. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd tried the DMack tyres on the pre event test, and even if they hadn't the data doesn't lie. They could probably both see the significant level of grip advantage Evans had, the speed held through the corners. You don't magically find grip where the whole WRC field are struggling in the exact same cars (other than tyres).
I like Evans but if you don't think there is anyone who can put hand on heart and say the tyres didn't play a part in this win.
At the end of the day it's great to have another winner, but don't kid yourselves. Let's not get carried away.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd November 2017, 12:26
We had exactly the same situation when Tanak ran the DMACK's (and he didnt win with them).

He hasnt done too badly since going to the Michelins...

mmm
3rd November 2017, 12:42
We had exactly the same situation when Tanak ran the DMACK's (and he didnt win with them).

He hasnt done too badly since going to the Michelins...

Don't forget about VW, they also had an advantage with a better car than the rest. If the cars were more equal like this year, he probably would have won in 2016.

AnttiL
3rd November 2017, 12:46
Don't forget about VW, they also had an advantage with a better car than the rest. If the cars were more equal like this year, he probably would have won in 2016.

He also had a lot of punctures in 2016 slowing him down, but the speed was there. It's interesting that Tänak almost won Poland in 2016, but this year Evans was totally out of pace there.

doubled1978
3rd November 2017, 18:51
True, but Evans nearly won in Argentina and Tanak was nowhere. Both were pretty quick in Finland on Dmack, but Tanak crashed.

Tarmop
3rd November 2017, 20:21
Tänak was 3rd in Argentina...wouldn`t call it nowhere.

doubled1978
3rd November 2017, 20:26
When he was on Dmack 2016...not this year. We are comparing what they did on Dmack No?

Tarmop
3rd November 2017, 20:30
Well, that was at least 1, probably 2-3 generations old DMack. Wasn`t it even designed under and for a R5 car? New DMack gravel tyre for Tänak came in Portugal 2016 i believe. New year, new car, different weather, different tyres... not much point to compare imho.

doubled1978
3rd November 2017, 20:45
And Michelin haven't improved also?
What I am saying is that both guys pretty much had a good crack at a few events on Dmack, Tanak and Evans.
I'm not a supporter of either, couldn't care less who wins really, just want to see good competition but this whole he would have done this, would have done that nonsense is irrelevant. The facts are both guys were up the front when the tyres allowed. Whether that was because they had an advantage, or merely that they didn't have a disadvantage is open to question because nobody else was on them for comparison. Tanak has subsequently gone on to prove he is rally winning material on an equal footing, now Evans must do the same.

Tarmop
3rd November 2017, 20:47
Can`t argue with that also.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th November 2017, 13:30
There has been a real change in Evans in the last 18 months.

Winning rallies in the BRC in 2016 (and the Title) was a real booster. Plus a maturity with age has made a huge difference. He is very calm and also relaxed now.

He said he has learned from team-mate Ogier who he has modelled himself on. Tanak also helped as he went through the same DMACK route.

I think Evans is going to be a real WRC contender in the future.

AnttiL
6th November 2017, 07:07
If Ogier retires, there will be no car number 1 next year? M-Sport would get 2, 3 and 14? Or would the allocations be 2-4, 5-7, etc? What if he initially "retires", M-Sport is allocated the first three numbers, then Ogier makes a comeback with, say, Citroen at the middle of the season? Will he get number 1 and will Citroen get 2 and 3 as well?

Andre Oliveira
6th November 2017, 07:45
A no question! Ogier will continue

EstWRC
6th November 2017, 07:47
when will it be announced?

Eli
6th November 2017, 07:55
when will it be announced?FORD COMEBACK??? Semi - Comeback?!??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

AnttiL
6th November 2017, 08:04
But it's an interesting question, whether you consider it theoretical or not. When Loeb retired in 2012, he still did a partial program in 2013 starting from Monte so it was natural to give 1-2-3 numbers to Citroen and then they used a higher-numbered driver when Loeb wasn't driving. If Ogier is not at any team at the beginning of the season, M-Sport would get the lowest numbers for the season for being the manufacturer champion. But if Ogier returns later with another team, would he still get number 1? Or would he get 1 but M-Sport would still be 2 and 3, or would Ogier's team be 1-2-3?

Roy
6th November 2017, 08:30
But it's an interesting question, whether you consider it theoretical or not. When Loeb retired in 2012, he still did a partial program in 2013 starting from Monte so it was natural to give 1-2-3 numbers to Citroen and then they used a higher-numbered driver when Loeb wasn't driving. If Ogier is not at any team at the beginning of the season, M-Sport would get the lowest numbers for the season for being the manufacturer champion. But if Ogier returns later with another team, would he still get number 1? Or would he get 1 but M-Sport would still be 2 and 3, or would Ogier's team be 1-2-3?

The team with world Champion has 1-2-3 on the cars. Like this year. If Ogier stay with M-Sport, it will M-sport 1 2 3 hyunday 4 5 6 Toyota 7 8 9 and Citroën 10 11 12.
If ogier goes to other team for example Citroën. The French team gets the 123 and M-sport 456 and so on.
If Ogier leaves I don't for sure but I was thinking the vice champion could be no 1. Or Tänak or Neuville. And their teammates has 2 and 3.

AnttiL
6th November 2017, 08:49
The team with world Champion has 1-2-3 on the cars. Like this year. If Ogier stay with M-Sport, it will M-sport 1 2 3 hyunday 4 5 6 Toyota 7 8 9 and Citroën 10 11 12.
If ogier goes to other team for example Citroën. The French team gets the 123 and M-sport 456 and so on.

Yes, those cases are 100% clear. But if Ogier retires, it gets to a situation we have never seen before. And even more so, if he comes back in the middle of a season to a team that he wasn't affiliated with in the beginning of the season.

Allez Andruet
6th November 2017, 09:44
But if Ogier retires, it gets to a situation we have never seen before.
There might be something I don't get, but how would that situation differ from the one we had in 2013, when Loeb (as a reigning champ) did only few selected rounds? Loeb had '1' on those rallies he participated in, and for the rest of the rounds Citroens were usually numbered 2, 3 and 10.

KiwiWRCfan
6th November 2017, 09:55
Danis Sordo interview by Nacho Villarin has just been published by Marca.com
Main points are * Dani confirms he will remain with Hyundai in 2018 and is not looking to move teams. * Dani accepts he will only do some rally's in 2018. * His goal is to win events in 2018 * If asked to by team he would be OK to do some Rallycross events.
Full interview at http://www.marca.com/motor/rallies/2017/11/06/59fd7e7946163f721c8b4647.html

AnttiL
6th November 2017, 09:55
There might be something I don't get, but how would that situation differ from the one we had in 2013, when Loeb (as a reigning champ) did only few selected rounds? Loeb had '1' on those rallies he participated in, and for the rest of the rounds Citroens were usually numbered 2, 3 and 10.

The difference is that Loeb was still a Citroen driver from the beginning of the season, making Citroen the 1-2-3 team. Of course, if Ogier retires then M-Sport is the 1-2-3 with no number 1. But would they be then 2, 3 and 14? or 2-3-4 with the next team having 5-6-7? And what if Ogier then comes back later in the season to another team?

AnttiL
6th November 2017, 09:56
Main points are * Dani confirms he will remain with Hyundai in 2018 and is not looking to move teams. * Dani accepts he will only do some rally's in 2018. * His goal is to win events in 2018 * If asked to by team he would be OK to do some Rallycross events.
Full interview at http://www.marca.com/motor/rallies/2017/11/06/59fd7e7946163f721c8b4647.html

Google translated:

Q. Have not your bosses told you anything?
R. "That next year I'll do fewer races, that's what they told me, they're going to line up three cars, so if there are four drivers and only three seats, we'll have to split up."

Q. Has your status in the team declined since Mikkelsen arrived?
R. "No. I have my work and they know what they need from me I do it Now there are Neuville and Mikkelsen, who have done a very good race in Wales, and it is not that they have more power, but the fact is that They have been chosen to do the whole championship next year, I hope they do well. "

Q. What is, exactly, your contractual situation for 2018?
R. "I have a contract with Hyundai."

Q. Is there no clause by which I can demand a complete program?
R. "Let's see, the agreement that I have is to make the whole World Cup, in the contract it says that I have to run all the races of the championship."
P. But it will not be like this ...
R. "No, and I'm not going to protest or fight with them, right now, it's not my priority to do the whole World Cup, what I want, above all, is to win rallies."

Q. The rumor circulates that he could also compete with Hyundai in rallycross next year. That's right?
R. "Oh, yes, I have no idea how that theme is, if they call me and they pay me, I'll go ..."

P. "Nice photo for the memory", wrote the other day on his Instagram with an image of him on the podium in Wales. Was it a premonition?
R. "Of course, it's probably the Rally of Wales I'm not going to do again in my life ... That's why the photo is going to be for the memory."

Q. In what rallies will it go then?
R. "I do not know which ones I'll do yet, or how many, seven or eight I've asked the team to see what they decide."
Q. Where do you see Ogier next year?
R. "Maybe he would like to go back to Citroën, but he told me that he is very happy with how they treat him at M-Sport, he feels very valued and he likes the way they work, I think if they find the money they need to Pay him a good salary, he will continue with them. "
Q. Does your future depend on the record that he moves?
R. "No. I'm going to run with Hyundai."

Simmi
6th November 2017, 10:17
I don't think the numbers thing is too complicated. No one else will take the #1 if Ogier retires. M-Sport will just run 2/3/4.

If Ogier rocks up later in the season for another team he takes the vacant #1. To think all the numbers of full-season manufacturer cars would suddenly change if Ogier arrives is nonsense IMO. Those numbers are all set at the start of the year.

jacko
6th November 2017, 10:39

Sordo will only win if Neuville or Mikkelsen isn't right behind him, only MC, as the first round of the new season maybe as a exception. Otherwise there will be teamorders and he has to give up every place he's driving in that moment in favor for Neuville & Mikkelsen. Dani Sordo's rally-career is about to be over, 2018 and possible 2019 he will do the tarmac-rounds and maybe some gravel-events like Portugal, Mexico, Argentina or Italy and that's it. Offcorse he will not protest to his (new) position in the team because he's having a good salary now and possible also for 2019. It's just the money now that's keep's him quiet. He's has no real choice, there are no other options at Citroën or M-Sport, he's really lucky that he's driving in a period with 4 manufacturers otherwise he never could keep his full-seasons status the last three years. Dani Sordo is one of the fastest drivers on tarmac but on non-tarmac for sure not and will never be, he's with Latvala the most experience driver of the field but with some exceptions of a great stage-time he never was really close to winning a non-tarmac event. Good to have him at least in the tarmac-rounds, if Hayden Paddon will do good results in MC (if there's a 4-car) and Sweden i think Paddon will drive all the non-tarmac events and the better the results how more Hyundai is willing to send a fourth car for Paddon to Corsica, Germany and Spain. Paddon's career isn't over for now but his results must be close to that of Neuville and Mikkelsen next year otherwise it's game over i guess and he know's that for sure.

mknight
6th November 2017, 10:56
Sordo will only win if Neuville or Mikkelsen isn't right behind him, only MC, as the first round of the new season maybe as a exception. Otherwise there will be teamorders and he has to give up every place he's driving in that moment in favor for Neuville & Mikkelsen.

Last time Sordo was ahead of Neuville while both were driving was Spain and Germany 2016. No teamorders then, even though Neuville was fighting for 2nd place in championship (certainly in Spain).

Since then he has never even been in this situation.

Rally Power
6th November 2017, 13:37

Sordo also says he was asked to run 7 or 8 events next year. On the WRX question he was totally surprised and the ‘if they call and pay I’ll run’ sounds like a joke. Overall he admitted to be a bit tired and disappointed, especially with Catalunya bad luck result. Surprisingly, he believes that at this stage of his career it may be more appealing to fight for the win on a handful of events than going for another full season. Best luck to him!

dimviii
6th November 2017, 16:15
Jarno Saari‏*@SaariJarno
Allocated car numbers appeared @OfficialWRC in 1995.
Since then only McRae & Pons have used No.1 without being current champ as #LoebInjured

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN8iKJCW0AUDMmf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN8iMUCWkAAIN9o.jpg

BleAivano
6th November 2017, 17:25
OGier will announce his future plans before or after Rally Australia. https://twitter.com/RallyingUK/status/927579034363596800
http://www.lepoint.fr/sport/ogier-tant-qu-il-y-a-du-plaisir-on-a-envie-de-continuer-en-wrc-06-11-2017-2170211_26.php (http://www.lepoint.fr/sport/ogier-tant-qu-il-y-a-du-plaisir-on-a-envie-de-continuer-en-wrc-06-11-2017-2170211_26.php)

AnttiL
6th November 2017, 17:44
Before or during Rally Australia, not after it

ESTR
6th November 2017, 18:44
He say that for about 3 months before every rally. In joke I could say he will wait a little more just before entry for rally Monte-Carlo will close.

Simmi
6th November 2017, 19:33

Sordo has had 12 seasons in a top-line WRC drive now - and a number of those years in the best car/team.

He can have no complaints and has had a good career. You can see he's accepting of the situation.

Really none of that applies to Paddon. So with that said I'm way more interested to see what happens with him next season

RS
6th November 2017, 19:51
Jarno Saari‏*@SaariJarno
Allocated car numbers appeared @OfficialWRC in 1995.
Since then only McRae & Pons have used No.1 without being current champ as #LoebInjured

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN8iKJCW0AUDMmf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN8iMUCWkAAIN9o.jpg

Man, those Xsaras look so tame compared to a modern WRCar. Like stock with a big rear wing.

ESTR
6th November 2017, 20:09
Sorry, but these new cars are ugly as shit. Sure it's spectacular but some people prefer as much as road going version with super strong power.

Allez Andruet
6th November 2017, 20:21
Sorry, but these new cars are ugly as shit.
Hey look, it's the funny guy who didn't think much of Suninen! Now he's come up with a new joke!

AnttiL
8th November 2017, 15:22
http://www.sportti.com/uutinen.asp?CAT=1-2&ID=351790

Jouhki saying Suninen is offered 6 WRC rallies for 2018, but they're trying to get more. He also says that if Ogier does not continue at M-Sport, he believes Suninen would get a full season seat.

mknight
8th November 2017, 15:54
As I wrote numerous times before I think it's too early for a full season (with the related pressure to perform).

That said Jouhki has pushed trough drivers early before, but for example for Hirvonen it cost him 1 year off and hard-fought way back (2005).

Simmi
8th November 2017, 17:05
http://www.sportti.com/uutinen.asp?CAT=1-2&ID=351790

Jouhki saying Suninen is offered 6 WRC rallies for 2018, but they're trying to get more. He also says that if Ogier does not continue at M-Sport, he believes Suninen would get a full season seat.

Worth it to take this deal I think - especially if they can pick rallies which suit Teemu a bit more. And reccy the rest.

Lots of contracts are up at the end of 2018 season so with a few more good results he is in the #1 position to get a deal. Or as we saw this year, if some team manager gets itchy then he can be snapped up mid-season.

Allez Andruet
8th November 2017, 18:32
I don't know which part I fail to get here, but if (and seemingly when) Ogier and Evans will both do all rallies, and Suninen "has been offered" 6 rallies, then who the hell is the third driver doing full season?

Rallyper
8th November 2017, 18:40
I don't know which part I fail to get here, but if (and seemingly when) Ogier and Evans will both do all rallies, and Suninen "has been offered" 6 rallies, then who the hell is the third driver doing full season?

Tidemand :)

CWJ
8th November 2017, 19:12
Lots of contracts are up at the end of 2018 season so with a few more good results he is in the #1 position to get a deal. Or as we saw this year, if some team manager gets itchy then he can be snapped up mid-season.

Depending on how many works seats are in WRC at all 2018 ...

Allez Andruet
8th November 2017, 19:45
Tidemand :)

Pontus should be in WRC in 2018, there's no question about that. I just doubt Wilson would favor him over Suninen...

electroliquid
8th November 2017, 20:15
What about Camilli? He had ok season, not impressive but still improved a lot..Wasn't his deal 3 years long?

er88
8th November 2017, 20:53
Maybe Camilli and Suninen could share one WRC car for the year, 6 events each or whatever. R5 car for the others events.

Tidemand will maybe get a full program. Someone has to take the Dmack seat (if they will still have a car for a whole season). Ford will also need a 3rd Michelin shod car id think, to support Ogier and Evans. Interesting few weeks to come

AnttiL
8th November 2017, 21:38
Maybe Camilli and Suninen could share one WRC car for the year, 6 events each or whatever. R5 car for the others events.

Like this

Monte - Camilli
Sweden - Suninen
Mexico - Camilli
Tour de Corse - Camilli
Argentina - Suninen
Portugal - Suninen
Sardegna - Camilli
Finland - Suninen
Deutschland - Camilli
Turkey - ???
Wales - Suninen
Spain - Suninen
Australia - Camilli

SubaruNorway
8th November 2017, 21:57

Doesn't sound like a good idea, guess how many times Henning didn't get to drive because Camilli wrecked the car...

Myrvold
8th November 2017, 23:05
Tidemand will maybe get a full program. Someone has to take the Dmack seat (if they will still have a car for a whole season). Ford will also need a 3rd Michelin shod car id think, to support Ogier and Evans. Interesting few weeks to come

Tidemand will not be in a Dmack car as long as they demand money from the driver.

ESTR
9th November 2017, 04:27
guys you forgot about Ostberg, he is also in the game for third car, most possibly DMACK

Tarmop
9th November 2017, 09:41
Why? I mean, he is not good on tarmac (says it himself all the time), one of the main surfaces DMack has a lot to do and hasn`t been brilliantly fast on other events in recent years...DMacks philosophy, apart from developing their tyres ofc, seems to be giving opportunities to young and developing drivers or fast drivers the very least.

AnttiL
9th November 2017, 09:47
True, and Østberg probably wouldn't give up his OneBet sponsorship. Also, what will happen to Østberg's car if he becomes an M-Sport driver? His WRC17 Fiesta is bought, not rented.

Tarmop
9th November 2017, 09:49
Sell it back, get a discount and drive with his car, rent it to others, sell it to others. Many oppurtunities i believe.

Simmi
9th November 2017, 13:31
What about Camilli? He had ok season, not impressive but still improved a lot..Wasn't his deal 3 years long?

No I believe he signed a two-year deal with M-Sport having an option on Camilli for 2018. So in theory they could split now. Or maybe Malcolm and his backers will continue to support him.

Mintexmemory
9th November 2017, 13:48
Also, what will happen to Østberg's car if he becomes an M-Sport driver? His WRC17 Fiesta is bought, not rented.

Rent it out to Veiby?

Fast Eddie WRC
9th November 2017, 13:51
All this endless 2018 speculation...

I wonder if some WRC Teams leave their announcements to the last minute as they are getting all this 'free publicity' of people discussing them continuously.

pantealex
9th November 2017, 17:41
Like this

Monte - Camilli
Sweden - Suninen
Mexico - Camilli
Tour de Corse - Camilli
Argentina - Suninen
Portugal - Suninen
Sardegna - Camilli
Finland - Suninen
Deutschland - Camilli
Turkey - ???
Wales - Suninen
Spain - Suninen
Australia - Camilli

Rallies are paired, so have to use same car with same set-up (like Mexico and Argentina)
This problem has happened to Mikkelsen and Citroens this year, driving with wrong set-up.

AnttiL
9th November 2017, 18:13
All this endless 2018 speculation...

I wonder if some WRC Teams leave their announcements to the last minute as they are getting all this 'free publicity' of people discussing them continuously.

"People" = a bunch of geeks on a forum. Very important for marketing strategies.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th November 2017, 22:19
"People" = a bunch of geeks on a forum. Very important for marketing strategies.

It's much bigger than just here... all over social media, blogs, podcasts, as well as articles in the motorsport press.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th November 2017, 15:35

Likes:Allez Andruet (9th November 2017),electroliquid (9th November 2017),EstWRC (9th November 2017),pantealex (Yesterday),racerx1979 (9th November 2017),spark13 (9th November 2017),the sniper (9th November 2017)

Guys, just because you agree with AnttiL calling you geeks you dont have to stop discussing...

M-Sport needs you to keep their name in the news and keep the pressure on Ford ! :D

Social media is doing its part:

RallyCaptures‏ @Rally_Captures
Rumour mill is in overdrive about Ford returning to the @OfficialWRC with official backing for M-Sport - fantastic if it comes off ! #WRC

car
15th November 2017, 09:15
No Dmack WRC car next year.

Andre Oliveira
15th November 2017, 10:03
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rallye/Actualites/Sebastien-ogier-n-ira-pas-chez-citroen/850920

Eli
15th November 2017, 10:06
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wrc/artikel/d/2017/11/15/ogier-lehnt-citroen-angebot-ab/

and now in german....in short, either Ogier takes a break or he continues at M-Sport, let's hope it's the latter option.

AnttiL
15th November 2017, 10:07
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rallye/Actualites/Sebastien-ogier-n-ira-pas-chez-citroen/850920

Ogier says that if he continues in rallying, it's with M-Sport.

Tarmop
15th November 2017, 10:28
No WRC trophy next year it seems... Well, the thought was good, but the outcome a joke.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th November 2017, 10:52
DMACK negociating with all teams as well as M-Sport for 2018 supply:

MN: 'Cormack wouldn’t be drawn on precise details of any negotiations with Hyundai, Toyota or Citroen, but said: “We know we’re not ready to supply a main manufacturer for a full season yet. We know we have to work on certain areas before we get there, but as we’ve shown this year we have a rally-winning tyre which, on a [manufacturer’s] third or fourth car could be extremely valuable in terms of championship points next season.”

AL14
15th November 2017, 14:30
This is crazy. The best driver around and only one private team really wants him. I will never understand this situation. I'm only happy for Wilson and M-Sport guys that can win again next year in case Ogier stays.

AnttiL
15th November 2017, 14:32
This is crazy. The best driver around and only one private team really wants him. I will never understand this situation. I'm only happy for Wilson and M-Sport guys that can win again next year in case Ogier stays.

As far as I'm concerned, only Toyota didn't want him. Hyundai and Citroen wanted him, but they couldn't supply what Ogier wanted. And at this point it's unclear whether M-Sport can supply it any better.

AL14
15th November 2017, 15:06
As far as I'm concerned, only Toyota didn't want him. Hyundai and Citroen wanted him, but they couldn't supply what Ogier wanted. And at this point it's unclear whether M-Sport can supply it any better.

Which means they don't really want him...

KKS
15th November 2017, 15:16
And it's show real price for him

electroliquid
15th November 2017, 15:19
Which means they don't really want him...

Well, it's real World, not always you get what you want - there is budgets, liabilities for other drivers, etc. We don't know how much efforts they did on this, maybe more than we think, maybe not..

AnttiL
16th November 2017, 08:12
https://rallysportmag.com/shared-wrc-car-likely-m-sport-2018/

Suninen-Camilli shared car probably happening

AnttiL
16th November 2017, 09:50
http://www.rallit.fi/lahde-sebastien-ogier-jatkaa-rallin-mm-sarjassa/

France Televisions has reported that Ogier continues with M-Sport?

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2017, 16:09
http://www.rallit.fi/lahde-sebastien-ogier-jatkaa-rallin-mm-sarjassa/

France Televisions has reported that Ogier continues with M-Sport?

Never in doubt ! ;)

giu canbera
17th November 2017, 22:11
You know what I'd like to see? The 4 teams selling their 3 (each) cars for privateers in 2018.
They will get all new cars so... Why not to sell the 2017 for privateers? I dont think thats a bad idea... +
I Imagina the manufacturers would not be interested but hey. Its a little extra cash!

steve.mandzij
17th November 2017, 22:15
Latvala on FIRE! I've missed this determination from him since Finland!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Eli
17th November 2017, 22:15
Latvala on FIRE! I've missed this determination from him since Finland!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I love his stage end comments now.

Simmi
18th November 2017, 09:01
You know what I'd like to see? The 4 teams selling their 3 (each) cars for privateers in 2018.
They will get all new cars so... Why not to sell the 2017 for privateers? I dont think thats a bad idea... +
I Imagina the manufacturers would not be interested but hey. Its a little extra cash!

I honestly don't think there are 3 privateers able to stump up the cash to buy and run a 2017 car across a season, let alone 12! I think like we've seen before, if the demand is there then cars can be made available.

AnttiL
18th November 2017, 09:55
Like Østberg reported it's really not possible to run a 2017 WRC car privately and be competitive.

Besides, I don't think the teams will build all new cars for 2018. Just change aeros and other updated parts.

AnttiL
12th January 2018, 19:47
Monte Carlo
1 Ogier
2 Evans
3 Bouffier
4 Mikkelsen
5 Neuville
6 Sordo
7 Latvala
8 Tänak
9 Lappi