PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai WRT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Sulland
19th April 2017, 22:31
Hyundai WRT does not have own thread like the other teams.

Do they have a plan of using 4 WRC cars, or maybe promote the R5 with two drivers alternating on using R5 and WRCar in 17?

jparker
20th April 2017, 13:14
I think they have a winning car, but Paddon's performance is not what they expected. Also, I guess they have concerns about Newville's reliability. In short, they need another top driver to get the points they need. My guess is 4 WRC cars.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th April 2017, 19:00
ABBRING: WRC driver @KevinAbbring to make touring car début at Spa-Francorchamps 🇧🇪 #TCRBenelux 🗞 @TouringCarTimes https://t.co/7B1gHAZYZd

End of his Hyundai WRC chances ?

er88
20th April 2017, 19:06
ABBRING: WRC driver @KevinAbbring to make touring car début at Spa-Francorchamps #TCRBenelux @TouringCarTimes https://t.co/7B1gHAZYZd

End of his Hyundai WRC chances ?
They were already over

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Andre Oliveira
20th April 2017, 20:13
He did Belgium championship rounds in Peugeot, so...

Fast Eddie WRC
20th April 2017, 21:12
I agree Abbring was already out of the current Hyundai picture, but a switch to Touring Cars appears to make it final. Plus the fact they are having Mikkelsen test also put another nail in the coffin...

MartijnS
20th April 2017, 22:04
He posted a short gif of being behind the wheel of a Hyundai WRC on his Instagram this tuesday, so he is still doing some work there.

dupanton
24th April 2017, 08:06
Yes, he still does the WRC roll outs etc.

AnttiL
27th April 2017, 09:18
Paddon said in Colin Clark's Kitchen Table Shakedown interview that the new car is more adjusted to Neuville's driving style, which doesn't suit Paddon's style and he's still struggling with that. Changing his driving style didn't work but he's trying to set up the car to suit his style. Does anyone know what's the main difference between these guys' styles?

jparker
27th April 2017, 12:52
It's becoming more and more obvious that those WRC17 cars are not so easy to "adjust" and match driver's preferences. I guess it's going to take a while before everyone find its comfortable and fast enough settings.

Sulland
1st August 2017, 18:43
Have they chosen the crews themselves, or has there been a shootout/autition of some sort?

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/july-2017/hyundai-talent/page/4752--12-12-.html

denkimi
1st August 2017, 19:31
Have they chosen the crews themselves, or has there been a shootout/autition of some sort?

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/july-2017/hyundai-talent/page/4752--12-12-.html
it will be a failure, just as all other talent contests that want to find a great talent, but use criteria as PR skills to exclude candidates.

if they want to find talent, they should organize a cheap cup with equal cars. that's how loeb, ogier and neuville got where they are.

dimviii
1st August 2017, 19:47
it will be a failure, just as all other talent contests that want to find a great talent, but use criteria as PR skills to exclude candidates.

if they want to find talent, they should organize a cheap cup with equal cars. that's how loeb, ogier and neuville got where they are.

and Pirelli shoot out with Tanak ,Paddon etc

Essaj
2nd August 2017, 12:34

They want a guy for already next year to drive R5 in wrc 2, you can't go all the way back to stock 1600s and get a guy from there to drive in a world championship events with a proper rally car.
Okay, if your looking for the best of the best then you kinda have to start from the scratch but that would take many years and might still not pay out.

AnttiL
2nd August 2017, 12:56
I would imagine guys like Solans, Huttunen and Rovanperä to be in the scope.

Simmi
2nd August 2017, 13:25
It feels like they've worked out they need a new driver for the R5 project. And have decided to turn it into a good PR opportunity. Other teams would do the same thing privately.

dupanton
3rd August 2017, 14:31
I would imagine guys like Solans, Huttunen and Rovanperä to be in the scope.

I think from Belgium Dilley might be in it too. He is already working with Hyundai after he bought his i20.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd August 2017, 14:49
About time Hyundai put something back into rallying. All teams need to nurture the future driver's of the sport.

M-Sport have done it for years, so too Citroen. Even new-boys Toyota have got a prospect like Lappi into a car already.

JUF
3rd August 2017, 15:17
About time Hyundai put something back into rallying. All teams need to nurture the future driver's of the sport.

M-Sport have done it for years, so too Citroen. Even new-boys Toyota have got a prospect like Lappi into a car already.

Well, it's not the first time Hyundai is looking for new talents. They are investing a lot in Chewon Lim (question is whether this is successful or not) and when they signed Hayden Paddon he was still a rather unproven talent in a World Rally Car (just like Lappi was). So there is no reason to reproach anyone...

BigWorm
3rd August 2017, 15:34
How much rallying experience did Lim have before signing with Hyundai? His times suggest he's been thrown into a rally car with very litte of it.

GigiGalliNo1
3rd August 2017, 16:24
Had to have a Korean in the car as did the French with a French driver!

dupanton
3rd August 2017, 17:28
How much rallying experience did Lim have before signing with Hyundai? His times suggest he's been thrown into a rally car with very litte of it.

0, as rally doesn't even exist in Korea

Simmi
3rd August 2017, 17:47
Only a limited programme in an R2 Adam - https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/129279-chewon-lim/

I think I read he came from a circuit race background?

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd August 2017, 17:58
Well, it's not the first time Hyundai is looking for new talents. They are investing a lot in Chewon Lim (question is whether this is successful or not) and when they signed Hayden Paddon he was still a rather unproven talent in a World Rally Car (just like Lappi was). So there is no reason to reproach anyone...

Paddon was also good PR for Hyundai 'Down Under'...

dupanton
3rd August 2017, 20:50
Only a limited programme in an R2 Adam - https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/129279-chewon-lim/

I think I read he came from a circuit race background?

The programme with the R2 Adam was already payed and run by Hyundai (Korea)

Fast Eddie WRC
9th August 2017, 17:53
Rumoured Hyundai 'shoot-out' list (@RubnPerez):

Solans
Lopez
Ingram
Cave
Greensmith
Rovanpera
Huttunen
Lindholm
Berfa
Loubet
Dilley
Andolfi
Bergkvist
Veiby

Toyoda
10th August 2017, 00:23
Paddon said in Colin Clark's Kitchen Table Shakedown interview that the new car is more adjusted to Neuville's driving style, which doesn't suit Paddon's style and he's still struggling with that. Changing his driving style didn't work but he's trying to set up the car to suit his style. Does anyone know what's the main difference between these guys' styles?

I suspect Paddon's style is Latvala esc coming from similar smooth flowing gravel road backgrounds and hence would go well in the Toyota. So the Hyundai is not set up for much left foot breaking?

sonnybobiche
10th August 2017, 14:33
Neuville is straight out of the French school, like Ogier and Loeb before him, keep the car as straight as possible. Paddon likes to go sideways and aggressive, like every other great rally driver who hasn't won a championship in the last 15 years.

N.O.T
10th August 2017, 15:51
Rumoured Hyundai 'shoot-out' list (@RubnPerez):

Solans
Lopez
Ingram
Cave
Greensmith
Rovanpera
Huttunen
Lindholm
Berfa
Loubet
Dilley
Andolfi
Bergkvist
Veiby

hard to say no to redbull money so they will go with the asian guy.

Rally Power
10th August 2017, 19:47
They're all fantastic young drivers and hopefuly most of them will achieve great things on a near future. Btw, if Rovanpera wins that could be he won't drive for MSport?

AnttiL
10th August 2017, 20:38
They're all fantastic young drivers and hopefuly most of them will achieve great things on a near future. Btw, if Rovanpera wins that could be he won't drive for MSport?

I think the Hyundai program winner was meant to contest in WRC2 in 2018. Rovanperä will be 17 until October 2018 and cannot take part in most European WRC rallies. Therefore the M-Sport deal and BRC would be better suited for him, with some bonus WRC2 events that he is allowed to take part in (Wales 2017, Mexico, Argentina, anything after October 2018).

EstWRC
10th August 2017, 21:56
btw where did you all take those names? i havent seen any confirmation of those drivers participating...someone just mentioned them in twitter but with no source?

pantealex
11th August 2017, 08:06
I think the Hyundai program winner was meant to contest in WRC2 in 2018. Rovanperä will be 17 until October 2018 and cannot take part in most European WRC rallies. Therefore the M-Sport deal and BRC would be better suited for him, with some bonus WRC2 events that he is allowed to take part in (Wales 2017, Mexico, Argentina, anything after October 2018).

and all rallyes in Finland, because he has valid driving license October17.

AnttiL
11th August 2017, 08:10
and all rallyes in Finland, because he has valid driving license October17.

Yes, but I don't see much interest for him to do that competition wise. Maybe one winter and one summer event to keep the skills up for WRC Sweden and Finland 2019.

AMSS
11th August 2017, 08:12
btw where did you all take those names? i havent seen any confirmation of those drivers participating...someone just mentioned them in twitter but with no source?

I was wondering the same thing, haven`t seen anything official anywhere..

pantealex
11th August 2017, 08:20
Yes, but I don't see much interest for him to do that competition wise. Maybe one winter and one summer event to keep the skills up for WRC Sweden and Finland 2019.

He can drive WRC Finland. (1000 Lakes you know)

AnttiL
11th August 2017, 08:44
He can drive WRC Finland. (1000 Lakes you know)

I thought there was a some sort of age limit for taking part in WRC events but if he can do Rally Finland then great.

AnttiL
11th August 2017, 09:09

Now Autosport knows that Greensmith, Cave and Ingram are selected, with 14 non-brits. https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/british-trio-signed-up-to-hyundai-wrc-scheme/

Oliverk
14th August 2017, 05:30
Estonian media says that Kruuda is in the selection of drivers http://sport.delfi.ee/news/auto/wrc/kruuda-voitleb-koha-eest-hyundai-rallitiimis?id=79171288

EstWRC
14th August 2017, 07:13
yesss, very nice news in the morning

Fast Eddie WRC
14th August 2017, 11:22
Now Autosport knows that Greensmith, Cave and Ingram are selected, with 14 non-brits. https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/british-trio-signed-up-to-hyundai-wrc-scheme/

Tom Cave must be favourite out of the Brits as he has already been driving an i20 this year.

Ingram (& Huttunen) has a chance to win the money for an R5 drive via the JERC.

mknight
20th August 2017, 18:55
After Monte and Sweden they looked like by far the best car, same was true for most rallies and in Poland they got max points.
Then came Finland and Germany, at both rallies they ended as the last manufacturer. In Finland that was probably not so unexpected but in Germany people (including me) thought they would dominate. Even without the mistakes the stagetimes didn't look much better than others, certainly not compared to Monte or Corsica.

Also before Monte their drive lineup was regarded as by far the best for manu title. Now what happens is that Paddon typically messes up on gravel rallies (where he is strongest) and Sordo messes tarmac rallies and brings safe points from gravel. On top of that they still have reliability issues.

Really wondering if some alarm bells are starting to sound at their HQ or they are thinking it's "bad luck".

doubled1978
20th August 2017, 20:33
After Monte and Sweden they looked like by far the best car, same was true for most rallies and in Poland they got max points.
Then came Finland and Germany, at both rallies they ended as the last manufacturer. In Finland that was probably not so unexpected but in Germany people (including me) thought they would dominate. Even without the mistakes the stagetimes didn't look much better than others, certainly not compared to Monte or Corsica.

Also before Monte their drive lineup was regarded as by far the best for manu title. Now what happens is that Paddon typically messes up on gravel rallies (where he is strongest) and Sordo messes tarmac rallies and brings safe points from gravel. On top of that they still have reliability issues.

Really wondering if some alarm bells are starting to sound at their HQ or they are thinking it's "bad luck".

My opinion is that the Hyundai was the most 'sorted' and easiest to drive early in the season, but I saw somewhere that it doesn't rely so much on aero (Maybe the VW designer) like the others, and now that in particular the Ford and Toyota are getting the set up of their cars right, the Hyundai doesn't have the last 1 or 2 tenths in pure pace...
I'm no expert and I'm only saying what I see, but those two cars seem to have a more solid rear end, the Ford seemed prone to understeer earlier in the season, but looks better recently.

mknight
20th August 2017, 20:44
Yes Ogier wasn't happy with the turn-in on Ford until those new diffs before Portugal. Toyota supposedly changed a lot on engine and looks a bit more stable. Citroen supposedly changes a lot of things.

So might be that others are improving yes, even more reason for alarm bells to ring at Hyundai.

doubled1978
20th August 2017, 21:06
Yes I remember now about the new diffs in the Ford for Portugal...The Toyota engine still sounds a bit flat, but it does seem to go ok, and in the WRC+ commentary Julian Porter did say they had been taking some weight out of the car, so coupled with engine development it seems they are getting there, I think the Yaris has the best chassis balance.
The Citroen is all over the place, when its got good traction it looks very good, but when the surface is slippery it looks positively evil.
The Hyundai stills looks good, but the Ford and Toyota in particular just seem to have a bit extra, and even the Shitroen when its in its window...maybe thats where the Hyundai drivers mistakes are coming from, over driving...
Might all be rubbish however and its just circumstance!

BigWorm
20th August 2017, 21:18
I think the gap to M-Sport is because of the drivers form and consistency this year. Ogier is Ogier while Tänak and Evans have taken a step up as drivers. Tänak has added the consistency to his game while Evans has dared more. All three drivers have been very good this year.

Paddon's year has been rotten to say the least, Sordo is a solid points scorer but he hasn't produced anything special yet this year and besides Spain he probably won't. Neuville has been the main contributor but he's has also thrown away points, small mistakes with big consequences.

M-Sport has a flow going, when one falter the others are there to pick up a podium. The same can't be said about Hyundai.

dimviii
20th August 2017, 21:25
I think the gap to M-Sport is because of the drivers form and consistency this year. Ogier is Ogier while Tänak and Evans have taken a step up as drivers. Tänak has added the consistency to his game while Evans has dared more. All three drivers have been very good this year.

Paddon's year has been rotten to say the least, Sordo is a solid points scorer but he hasn't produced anything special yet this year and besides Spain he probably won't. Neuville has been the main contributor but he's has also thrown away points, small mistakes with big consequences.

M-Sport has a flow going, when one falter the others are there to pick up a podium. The same can't be said about Hyundai.

cant agree more

doubled1978
20th August 2017, 21:38
I don't deny the M-Sport guys have been driving well, but I just see a relative improvement in pace from them in general, and the car looks like its handling better than earlier in the season.
You're right, Paddon has had a stinker and Poland aside its been a bit of a disaster for him. I hope it turns around as I like him and would like to see him get back to the level I think he is capable of. Sordo seems to have dropped away as the season has gone on, his speed was great early season but gradually that seems to have wained. He's never really been able to drive a whole rally at the top level, but his relative speed has fallen away. Neuville seems to have lost a bit of his edge too.
As I said, it's just my ramblings but I think the others have caught up with Hyundais early season pace and in the case of Ford and Toyota maybe just sneaked ahead.

GravelBen
21st August 2017, 01:12
Most of the gravel rallies Paddon has had good speed and been let down by the car though - for sure he's had a bad season but you can't blame it all on him, pretty sure he's been let down by the car more times than driving mistakes.

AnttiL
21st August 2017, 05:54
Paddon had power steering failures in Sweden, Portugal and Argentina, a misfire in Mexico, and an electrical failure in Portugal. In Argentina and Monte he rolled the car and in Sardegna and Finland he clipped a wheel. In TDC and Germany he was just off the pace (with some punctures in Germany) and Poland was a clean run.

Sordo had a technical problem on the street stages in Mexico, broke a steering arm in Argentina and had engine problems in Sardegna. Germany was his first true driving error of the season and in Finland he was just off the pace.

Meanwhile, Neuville hasn't really had technical problems slowing him down.

mknight
21st August 2017, 07:33
Neuville lost brakes on Sardinia loosing a minute and dropping from 2nd (behind Paddon who crashed later) to 4th.

He also had overheating issues in Mexico just like all cars except Citroen.

Tarmop
21st August 2017, 10:19
That brake issue was most probably the result of one of his lucky escapes.

jparker
23rd August 2017, 09:38
I think Hyundai are about to miss the biggest chance for WMC they ever had.
They were in best position this year, yet they were not able to capitalize on that.
With Citroen getting back in the game, and Toyota getting stronger, next year will be even harder. In order to protect the investments they have made, and to have better chances next year, they need another top driver. That's why my bet is Ogier signing with Hyunday.

racerx1979
23rd August 2017, 09:50
Hyundai has the budget for Ogier, but I think he would go to Citroen before going to Hyundai.

Also rumor has it TGR has a crazy huge budget.

Simmi
24th August 2017, 08:48
8 young drivers picked for the next stage of the young driver scheme:

Emil Bergkvist, Gus Greensmith, Jari Huttunen, Karl Kruuda, Pepe Lopez, Pierre-Louis Loubet, René Mandel and Kalle Rovenpera.

pantealex
24th August 2017, 11:29

Emil Bergkvist, Gus Greensmith, Jari Huttunen, Karl Kruuda, Pepe Lopez, Pierre-Louis Loubet, René Mandel and Kalle Rovenpera.

better start now than later to write it correctly: Rovanperä ;)

dupanton
24th August 2017, 11:29

A bit strange that some one like Mandel, with no (I think) international experience is in the selection. Expected Veiby and Ingram in it too.

rallyfiend
24th August 2017, 11:38
Veiby has a contract with Skoda, no? For his APRC programme.

That probably counts him out.

AnttiL
24th August 2017, 11:51
Veiby has a contract with Skoda, no? For his APRC programme.

That probably counts him out.

This season he's driving for the Printsport team on WRC events and MRF team on APRC events. Not the factory team. It's comparable to Greensmith being a current M-Sport driver. Unless of course he has a deal for next year as well.

Simmi
24th August 2017, 12:09

Haha I just copied that from Hyundai directly. Bit sloppy from them. They also spelled Bergkvist wrong but I corrected that for them.

I guess conceivably Rovanperä could win this drive and then turn it down if he gets a better offer elsewhere. E.g. M-Sport's rumoured BRC/WRC2/WRC testing.

AnttiL
24th August 2017, 12:13
I guess conceivably Rovanperä could win this drive and then turn it down if he gets a better offer elsewhere. E.g. M-Sport's rumoured BRC/WRC2/WRC testing.

Could Rovanperä do BRC also with Hyundai? He can take part in only three WRC events next year before he turns 18 in October. I understood that Hyundai's incentive was to have the winner contesting strongly on WRC2 next year. Other than that, the WRC testing option, just like at M-Sport, would be a great benefit at Hyundai compared to Skoda for instance.

jparker
24th August 2017, 13:10
Just out of curiosity, why Fins demand their names spelled in their own alfabet? It's common to write foreign names in English differently than original language.

AnttiL
24th August 2017, 13:16
Just out of curiosity, why Fins demand their names spelled in their own alfabet? It's common to write foreign names in English differently than original language.

Hyundai's tweet had "Rovenpera", which is incorrect even with the umlauts omitted. "Rovanpera" is fine with me. I mean, I don't bother with the accents on French names either, I'll never get them correctly.

I remember in old foreign skiing tv broadcasts the system didn't have 'ä' so it was turned into 'ae' and Väätäinen became Vaeaetaeinen

Also my wife laughed at Østberg being turned into Ostberg on TV, because it changes the meaning of the name from 'east mountain' to 'cheese mountain'.

Hartusvuori
24th August 2017, 13:37

It's Finns.

jparker
24th August 2017, 13:45
It's Finns.

You got me here :)

racerx1979
24th August 2017, 13:47
How do you know this?

A source from within and that's all I'm going to say. The same source that told me Toyota wants Tanak very much, but they do not know if Malcom will let him go. Suninen is next in line after Tanak and Ogier no chance in hell is coming to Toyota. Apparently he and Tommi did not get along. Ogier was too arrogant during the test and made a few comments that did not sit well with Tommi and the team..

By the way this really isn't nothing new. There were a few articles from the press with similar storie.

EstWRC
24th August 2017, 13:50
How can he hold him up? Tänak is free agent after this season

AnttiL
24th August 2017, 13:53
A source from within and that's all I'm going to say. The same source that told me Toyota wants Tanak very much, but they do not know if Malcom will let him go. Suninen is next in line after Tanak and Ogier no chance in hell is coming to Toyota. Apparently he and Tommi did not get along. Ogier was too arrogant during the test and made a few comments that did not sit well with Tommi and the team..

What about Mikkelsen, I thought Toyota would like to get him if not Tänak? As much as I like Suninen, wouldn't having him and Lappi be a bit too much of inexperienced drivers for one team?

racerx1979
24th August 2017, 14:05
What I got from our discussion was that Tanak wants an increase in salary (this was not said outright, but it's what I took from our convo) and this was before his win in Germany. What I took from this was that Ott will stay with M-Sport if they pay him more than what Toyota will offer. This is when I asked "does Toyota have the money for an driver with Tanak's experience?" and the response was "they have a very big budget for WRC. He also mentioned that Tanak and Suninen would fit really well with the team. Mikkelsen's name never came up. Only guys mentioned were Ogier, Tanak and Suninen. Apparently Suninen is the hardest working driver at the moment. He has been doing drives with several different coaches and did so before Finland as well. Was told he is very driven to succeed and willing to learn and Toyota really likes that about him.

And to answer EstWRC I had no idea Tanak was a free agent and this was also not brought up.

And to add to this I was told Tommi is really fond of Juho. I guess Juho was there from the start and Tommi has a solid relationship with him and believes he can do a lot better and needs more time doing WRC events. Everyone on the team is hoping he does well for the sake of his future. I guess he is the "nice guy" everyone likes and has a great personality even though he does not come off that way in his interviews.

He would be the Sordo of Toyota if he can keep the same pace as the last two events.

sonnybobiche
24th August 2017, 15:28
they have a very big budget for WRC.

Any insight as to why they seem to be losing a lot of their people? E.g. Lehtinen, Simon Carrier, before Finland it looked like Tom Fowler was leaving, etc. I would assume that if they were losing people it would be because they didn't have the budget to retain them. Hard to understand well-paid employees leaving a team with so much promise for the future.

rallyfiend
24th August 2017, 15:52
Any insight as to why they seem to be losing a lot of their people? E.g. Lehtinen, Simon Carrier, before Finland it looked like Tom Fowler was leaving, etc. I would assume that if they were losing people it would be because they didn't have the budget to retain them. Hard to understand well-paid employees leaving a team with so much promise for the future.

Because Tommi is a nightmare to work for...

Even Finns have been stampeding out the door....

rallye-vid
24th August 2017, 15:52
Maybe because of Tommi..

rallyfiend
24th August 2017, 15:54
How can he hold him up? Tänak is free agent after this season

It is very, very unlikely that he is a total free-agent.

For sure Malcolm will have some rights over him for the future like he has with other drivers. Malcolm will take some of their future earnings, like he did with Thierry in the first few years of his Hyundai deal to pay back the year with M-Sport in the Qatar car.

Malcolm doesn't invest in these drivers to just let them go....

Tarmop
24th August 2017, 16:05
His own words this spring, to local fans, in a live video-conference were, that he couldn`t join Toyota for this year, because he had a deal with M-Sport, but this deal WILL END this season. Ofcourse he doesn`t invest in them just to let them go, but he has been in M-Sport for many years now, 2014-2017, not counting 2012. In the beginning lots of money came from Estonian sponsors too+ DMack.

tommeke_B
24th August 2017, 16:22
His own words this spring, to local fans, in a live video-conference were, that he couldn`t join Toyota for this year, because he had a deal with M-Sport, but this deal WILL END this season. Ofcourse he doesn`t invest in them just to let them go, but he has been in M-Sport for many years now, 2014-2017, not counting 2012. In the beginning lots of money came from Estonian sponsors too+ DMack.

Of course you could question if Tänak would be doing the right thing by going to Toyota (apart from salary maybe, but that's something we don't know). Now at M-Sport everything seems in place, if you see his performance and the results that follow. I think it can't get much better than that.

But this is a Hyundai thread, we're going off... ;)

racerx1979
24th August 2017, 18:49

Not at all. I'm assuming Tommi is under a lot of pressure from Toyota high-ups.

Maybe something like this :)

Tommi: We want more money

Toyota: Okay, why?

Tommi: So we can compete at top level

Toyota: Here you go.. now go compete at top level

Tommi: Fu@k!!

GravelBen
25th August 2017, 00:54
Not at all. I'm assuming Tommi is under a lot of pressure from Toyota high-ups.

Maybe something like this :)

Tommi: We want more money

Toyota: Okay, why?

Tommi: So we can compete at top level

Toyota: Here you go.. now go compete at top level

Tommi: Fu@k!!

They seem to be competing pretty well so far this year?

sonnybobiche
25th August 2017, 01:08
Let's switch over to the Toyota thread

AnttiL
25th August 2017, 10:50
Could Rovanperä do BRC also with Hyundai? He can take part in only three WRC events next year before he turns 18 in October. I understood that Hyundai's incentive was to have the winner contesting strongly on WRC2 next year. Other than that, the WRC testing option, just like at M-Sport, would be a great benefit at Hyundai compared to Skoda for instance.

http://www.rallit.fi/kalle-rovanpera-hehkuttaa-hienoa-mahdollisuutta-en-ole-ikina-sellaista-ajanut/

Here Kalle also says he might not be the driver Hyundai wants as he is not able to do many WRC events in 2018 but is happy to be selected and for the oppoturnity to test the Hyundai R5.

SubaruNorway
28th August 2017, 16:02
Veiby had to turn down Hyundai due to existing contracts, the shoot out also clashed with Malaysia.
https://parcferme.no/nyheter/ingen-nordmenn-har-kjort-mer-rally-i-ar-enn-ole-christian/

skarderud
30th August 2017, 17:13
Some rumours that Mikkelsen drives a Hyundai in spain?
Anyone else thinks so?
Who's out then, breen?

Sent fra min XP7700 via Tapatalk

skarderud
30th August 2017, 18:52
Some rumours that Mikkelsen drives a Hyundai in spain?
Anyone else thinks so?
Who's out then, breen?

Not breen, paddon of course.

rallye-vid
5th September 2017, 14:40
Well well

WUff1
5th September 2017, 15:15
https://motorsport.hyundai.com/driver-line-up-adjusted/

Mikkelsen in for the last 3 rallies.

macebig
5th September 2017, 15:36
Probably in Paddon's car for Spain and in Sordo's place for GB and Australia.

Andre Oliveira
5th September 2017, 20:26
Hyundai should use drivers to develop i20 R5.

Munkvy
5th September 2017, 21:27
Hyundai should use drivers to develop i20 R5.

Ideal opportunity to put Paddon in the R5 for Spain, he knows the car and the rally well.

KKS
5th September 2017, 22:17
Probably in Paddon's car for Spain and in Sordo's place for GB and Australia.
Same thoughts from me too. And if Hyundai drop Sordo for 2 events, so maybe it's over for Dani in Hyundai

Zeakiwi
6th September 2017, 02:54
There is talk of four car teams for 2017, so Sordo could still be in., especially with sales of Kia and Hyundai on the rise in Spain.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170802/ANE/170809911/spanish-sales-rise-nearly-3-boosted-by-tourism

dimviii
6th September 2017, 12:18
BILLIOT Jérémie‏*@planetemarcus
#WRC Andreas Mikkelsen visits Hyundai HQ today for preparation http://bit.ly/2iZPsnr*
Instagram @HMSGOfficial

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJCZjiOW4AIOVT6.jpg

Hartusvuori
6th September 2017, 12:28
He is missing his French class...

AnttiL
6th September 2017, 13:09
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.html

Nandan says they're considering four car teams for Wales and Australia. Catalunya wasn't considered since the amount of parts needed is greater due to mixed surface.

Simmi
6th September 2017, 13:42
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.html

Nandan says they're considering four car teams for Wales and Australia. Catalunya wasn't considered since the amount of parts needed is greater due to mixed surface.

All sounds quite promising. All these teams seem pretty keen to keep things even, hence why I suggested four cars for GB and then Paddon misses Spain, Sordo misses Australia. Four cars on a long haul might be a bit of a stretch.

noel157
6th September 2017, 13:48
Paddon on the situation on his FB page, but not much other than GB and Oz:

https://www.facebook.com/haydenpaddonwrc

dimviii
6th September 2017, 17:18
Dani Sordo: "At the moment, nobody has told me not to run"

he is rather restrained in his social networks, but yesterday, early in the afternoon, shortly after his team made the signing of Andreas Mikkelsen, Dani Sordo was angry - and rightly so - to see the tweets that one published of the British broadcasters of the official WRC radio, assuming that with the addition of the Norwegian, Hyundai would relegate the bench to Spanish for the last two championship rallies: Wales and Australia (both on land).
MARCA has contacted him to know the slogans transmitted to him by his bosses, and to know whether or not his status as Hyundai driver could influence Mikkelsen's arrival at the Alzenau squad.
Andreas Mikkelsen
Obviously, whenever you get a new partner, especially as a fast driver like him, to some extent is a threat to those who are already on the team. But life is not easy and the job you have to earn every day.
Wales and Australia
15 minutes before they announced it, Alain Penasse [his sports director] called me to tell me the subject. The only thing that is certain is that Paddon is not going to make Catalonia, although I am sorry for him, the truth, because he has had bad luck this year. At the moment, nobody has told me that I will not run the last two rallies, so I felt bad that someone on Twitter started to speculate and I assumed that they were going to come down, when that is not what he said the team. They want to put a fourth car for the last races, at least that's what I've been told. For Wales I see it as feasible; Australia, perhaps, is more expensive and more complicated to carry. We'll see what happens.
Since before Germany we knew that the bosses wanted to make some signing for the next year. In the end, they have chosen Mikkelsen. In a few months we will know what alignment they decide. I do not know if next year I will do the whole World Cup or not, what worries me most is to stay competitive and get some more victory.
Change of equipment
I have not thought about it. I'm not going anywhere else. I have a contract with Hyundai and I want to finish my career here.
Rally of Catalonia
I'm going to leave as in Germany: thinking about victory. Last year I tried with all my might. On Friday we finished the ground stage leaders and thought we could win, but we could do nothing to hold Ogier on asphalt with the Polo. Let's see if this time everything goes well and we are able to finish.

http://www.marca.com/motor/rallies/2017/09/06/59b0019a468aebaa4a8b45d0.html

mknight
6th September 2017, 18:05
Self-quote from 20/8:

Listening to Nandan interview they did sound alarm bells ("we had to do some changes"). Resulting in hiring Mikkelsen and probably some car changes as well.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th September 2017, 18:07
Nandan was pretty non-comittal about the possible reg change to 4 cars in 2018.

Sounds like quite a lot to discuss about the implications.

I hope the regs stay with 3 cars for another year.

Simmi
6th September 2017, 18:56
So it does seem some fairly safe assumptions -

Mikkelsen has signed with Hyundai for 2018
Four cars for GB

mknight
6th September 2017, 19:28
Sordo:

I have a contract with Hyundai and I want to finish my career here.

Does that mean he aims to end at the end of 2018?
He is "only" 6 years older than Mikkelsen, 4 years older than Tanak and 4 years younger than Meeke, so it can be a bit early in a way.
He is relatively safe bet to score decent points just like Sainz was at Citroen, but it is also telling that he only has a single rally win from his long career. Guess his future past 2018 will depend on number of seats and point scoring rules for 3rd/4th drivers. (provided he keeps at least same pace as now)

Andre Oliveira
6th September 2017, 19:37
"I want" is different that "i will".

Simmi
6th September 2017, 20:13
Realistically was Sordo getting a contract extension after 2018 anyway? If you had to bet money you'd have to say no. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall - he certainly will if he gets dropped for Australia.

Archie Gillaine
7th September 2017, 09:34
If teams can run 4 cars, then Sordo is possibly worth keeping for a full campaign; however, if it's the current 3, then I'd think using him for the Tarmac only rounds would be the best solution; Paddon for the other rounds.

AnttiL
7th September 2017, 10:33
Will Mikkelsen be car number 4? Why was Paddon anyway with the "first driver" number of the team, he finished with less points than Neuville?

Teme
7th September 2017, 10:36
Will Mikkelsen be car number 4? Why was Paddon anyway with the "first driver" number of the team, he finished with less points than Neuville?

Neuville got to choose his number first and he picked 5.

Simmi
7th September 2017, 10:38

Neuville wanted #5 apparently. I think they gave the drivers some choice.

Second rally geek question from me - I wonder what colour roof vent Andreas will go for? Red? Or maybe yellow like his mirrors at VW.

tommeke_B
7th September 2017, 10:58
Maybe blue as nobody's using it now?

Sulland
7th September 2017, 22:16
Or red, white and blue!

GigiGalliNo1
8th September 2017, 15:34
Paddon will be in Australia with Hyundai. 100% and we're using his resources during the rally and it's confirmed.

EightGear
8th September 2017, 15:48
Paddon will be in Australia with Hyundai. 100% and we're using his resources during the rally and it's confirmed.No offense but with you saying this I expect Paddon to be replaced in Australia.

racerx1979
8th September 2017, 19:01
Paddon needs to keep it on the road. He also had an off in NZ in an AP4 car. I'm sure it was a hard decision for Nandan to skip Spain for Hayden. If he does not do well in Aus or Wales he might be sharing the 3rd car if they do not go to 4. Sucks for the guy as he's had a bit of bad luck mixed swith his bad year.

mknight
8th September 2017, 19:06
For long term perspective the slow development on Tarmac is more troubling imo.

AndyRAC
8th September 2017, 19:26
For long term perspective the slow development on Tarmac is more troubling imo.

This needs sorting; instead of going back to NZ to drive gravel events, he should be doing European Tarmac events as much as he can.
I recently listened an Absolute Rally podcast from a few months ago, and his perfect calendar was all gravel....

er88
8th September 2017, 19:58
He's lucky there's only 2 full tarmac events. There has to be more in future.

smokingjoe
9th September 2017, 05:03
This needs sorting; instead of going back to NZ to drive gravel events, he should be doing European Tarmac events as much as he can.
I recently listened an Absolute Rally podcast from a few months ago, and his perfect calendar was all gravel....

Hayden is expected back home for sponsor commitments, i suspect, and considering the long break before RACC, why not indulge in a few home (gravel) events ?

what i do find a bit odd, is why he isn't in i20 R5 for RACC to keep tarmac fit ?

Zeakiwi
9th September 2017, 10:34
Paddon is doing a dirt event this weekend I think. I see Hawkeswood in a single seater offroader on FB.
https://nzmotorracing.co.nz/2017/06/10/hayden-paddon-race-2017-polaris-nz1000-off-road-race/

R5 - Spain - still costs a fair bit to run an R5 - tyres, mechanics, spares, service van- logistics, hotels, flights, food, mechanic transport etc.

Simmi
9th September 2017, 12:09
Yeah have to assume Hyundai just weren't willing to swallow that cost of a works-run R5. And getting Andreas up to speed and potentially impacting that title fight is a bigger priority. I get that.

It is a shame as they've granted Hayden a couple of tarmac events this year in the R5. Partly to help gel with Seb but they were still giving him those opportunities on his weaker surface. Not sure whether he'll return to Rally Legend again this year. I did wonder whether he'd approach that as another opportunity to learn tarmac last year but he opted for complete hoonage which the fans loved.

jparker
11th September 2017, 11:35
My interpretation of this article:
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.htmlhttp://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.html
... is that Hyundai will run 4 cars after Spain only if they have chances for title.
Otherwise, Paddon and/or Sordo may not do GB and/or Australia, of course assuming they want to get Mikkelsen up to speed for 2018.

racerx1979
11th September 2017, 11:47
Already posted. See page 10 http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37232-Hyundai-WRT/page10

jparker
11th September 2017, 11:56
Already posted. See page 10 http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37232-Hyundai-WRT/page10
Sorry, my bad. Fixed as a comment now.

Simmi
11th September 2017, 11:56
My interpretation of this article is that Hyundai will run 4 cars after Spain only if they have chances for title.
Otherwise, Paddon or Sordo may not do GB and Australia, of course assuming they want to get Mikkelsen up to speed for 2018.

They have to enter the cars for GB before Catalunya happens so that isn't possible unfortunately. Unless they entered four and pulled a car - which I doubt. I see this more as ensuring equal treatment of the drivers. Seemed obvious at the start really, drop Paddon for Spain, Sordo for Aus and run them both in Wales. Then no driver is given any favouritism ahead of 2018.

AnttiL
11th September 2017, 12:22
My interpretation of this article:
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.htmlhttp://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.html
... is that Hyundai will run 4 cars after Spain only if they have chances for title.

Which title? Having four cars won't help them in the manufacturers title as they can only nominate three cars for points. In fact, it would probably make it just worse because they would have less resources available per car/driver. But if their main objective is to get the drivers title for Neuville, then a fourth driver can help by taking points off Ogier.

jparker
11th September 2017, 12:58
Which title? Having four cars won't help them in the manufacturers title as they can only nominate three cars for points. In fact, it would probably make it just worse because they would have less resources available per car/driver. But if their main objective is to get the drivers title for Neuville, then a fourth driver can help by taking points off Ogier.

Yes, I agree. It's not clear from Nandan's statement what title he's referencing, but it must be the driver's title.

“We have looked at it and we could put four cars. It doesn’t mean it will be like that but we’re looking at that because it’s also in the interests of Hyundai for the championship.
“We have to try to do it and there we could do it. It depends where we will be (in the championship). I think a lot of things still need to be done, even if there are only three rallies left, but we will see how the situation will be,” added Nandan.

dupanton
11th September 2017, 15:01
Maybe if Neuville is in a situation he has to go flat out to try to take the drivers title, they might not nominate him for the manufacturers. That way he doesn't have to think about that and can just go for the drivers title.
That would avoid a situation like in 2003 (??? not good with years) when Loeb couldn't attack to catch Petter because he had to settle for manufacturers points.

er88
11th September 2017, 17:55
The manufacturers title is over, Hyundai know that. They will run 4 cars in GB, and if Thierry still has a chance in the drivers championship I bet they will run 4 in Australia too.

4 cars means more drivers that could potentially take points off Ogier. I know Sordo isn't great on certain gravel rounds, but his road position as well as Paddons and Mikkelsen's mean that they have chances to finish ahead of Seb, to help Neuville. Running 4 cars has nothing to do with the manufacturers title.

tommeke_B
11th September 2017, 18:17
For them to help Thierry, he must finish ahead of Ogier too, and with more than a couple of seconds... ;)

Tarmop
12th September 2017, 10:10
Quite possible if you look back at the season and starting order not favoring Ogier. Finishing ahead is finishing ahead, no matter how much time, as Neuville prooved in Argentina .

smokingjoe
12th September 2017, 10:27
Yeah have to assume Hyundai just weren't willing to swallow that cost of a works-run R5. And getting Andreas up to speed and potentially impacting that title fight is a bigger priority. I get that.

It is a shame as they've granted Hayden a couple of tarmac events this year in the R5.

surely having the R5 out on the stages is more appealling to potential buyers , than it would be parked in the workshop ?

AnttiL
27th September 2017, 09:10
https://motorsport.hyundai.com/jari-huttunen-joins-hmdp-2018/

Huttunen won the shootout. In my opinion, it was the correct choice. Great stuff!

N.O.T
27th September 2017, 09:28
you mean the asian red bull miracle infant lost to a hamburger finnish boy ?

AnttiL
27th September 2017, 09:42
you mean the asian red bull miracle infant lost to a hamburger finnish boy ?

Emil Bergkvist, Gus Greensmith, Karl Kruuda, Pepe Lopez, Pierre-Louis Loubet, René Mandel and Kalle Rovanperä.

Which one of them is asian?

N.O.T
27th September 2017, 13:45
Emil Bergkvist, Gus Greensmith, Karl Kruuda, Pepe Lopez, Pierre-Louis Loubet, René Mandel and Kalle Rovanperä.

Which one of them is asian?

lol...

nafpaktos
27th September 2017, 18:36
I suppose he means Lim.

Rallyper
27th September 2017, 18:46
So no official about the other contenders. Only they all were very good, or something like that.

nafpaktos
27th September 2017, 18:59
what they could say?

Hartusvuori
28th September 2017, 08:48
Hyundai confirms 2 year deal with Mikkelsen. He will contest all rounds in 2018. Neuville, Sordo and Paddon remain under contract for 2018. Press release does not specify that they would run a 4 car team.

AnttiL
28th September 2017, 08:59
http://motorsport.hyundai.com/two-year-deal-andreas/

Jarek Z
28th September 2017, 09:45
Wow! The future looks good for Hyundai, doesn't it?

rp
28th September 2017, 09:48
Wow! The future looks good for Hyundai, doesn't it?

Yes! They have four drivers in 2018 and Neuville, Mikkelsen & Huttunen will drive in 2019 :)

Fast Eddie WRC
28th September 2017, 10:41
If the other teams are not careful we could end up with VW-style domination by Hyundai...

AnttiL
28th September 2017, 10:51
If the other teams are not careful we could end up with VW-style domination by Hyundai...

From a team who cannot get to the podium in Finland?

AL14
28th September 2017, 11:27
From a team who cannot get to the podium in Finland?

There are 13 rallys, Finland is one like the others.
By the way VW had the combo best car/ best driver, Hyundai hasn't, so I don't think they will dominate, they can win but not dominate.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th September 2017, 16:58
I said they could dominate. It's possible, not definite.

Their driver's made mistakes and/or had poor seasons this time. I dont see that happening again.

BigWorm
28th September 2017, 21:43
Car definitely needs some work done to be VW-esque

WUff1
29th September 2017, 14:05
2 year contract for Mikkelsen:

https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wrc/artikel/d/2017/09/28/mikkelsen-bekommt-zweijahres-vertrag-bei-hyundai/

GravelBen
29th September 2017, 22:03
Wonder if the decision is as a result of the reaction from Sordo/Paddon to Hollywood the 2nd being offered a run for the last rounds of this years championship?

More likely it was already decided before that.

GravelBen
29th September 2017, 22:04
Car definitely needs some work done to be VW-esque

Have they used any of their development jokers yet? I know the other teams have used some but I haven't heard anything about Hyundai using theirs.

Andre Oliveira
29th September 2017, 22:13
Yes, Hyundai used.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/toutesvoitures_26.07.2017.pdf

Simmi
2nd October 2017, 08:11
Four cars for Wales as expected: https://motorsport.hyundai.com/crews-confirmed-wales/

rallyfiend
2nd October 2017, 12:06
Four cars for Wales as expected: https://motorsport.hyundai.com/crews-confirmed-wales/

So, is it assumed that Sordo is just there to make up the numbers and won't be a pointscoring car?

It doesn't explicitly say, but mentions him as the '4th' car....

dimviii
2nd October 2017, 14:13
So, is it assumed that Sordo is just there to make up the numbers and won't be a pointscoring car?

It doesn't explicitly say, but mentions him as the '4th' car....

probably he will help Neuville at drivers championship,if he finish ahead of Ogier.

doubled1978
2nd October 2017, 19:07
probably he will help Neuville at drivers championship,if he finish ahead of Ogier.

The chances of him doing that if Ogier is trouble free are slim to to say the least.

Tarmop
2nd October 2017, 19:46
Not necessarily, he can be quite quick sometimes+ the fact that he probably won`t nominated to score manu. points...or the opposite, they would still have chance for the manu. title and T.N is given free hands to go all in for the WDC.

dimviii
6th October 2017, 05:05
Nandan explains Hyundai’s WRC upgrades

https://rallysportmag.com/nandan-explains-hyundais-wrc-upgrades/

racerx1979
6th October 2017, 08:25
Martin Holmes doing some good articles lately. Kudos to him!

dupanton
6th October 2017, 12:02
Huttunen to compete in 7-8 WRC2 rounds nx year with a sattelite team. (interview Nandan on rally radio)

AnttiL
13th October 2017, 08:54
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMAMf1wVQAAWPJX.jpg:large

racerx1979
13th October 2017, 09:27
Strange times at Hyundai now. Not too different from Citroen’s situation. Makes sense to drop Sordo if they cannot run 4 cars.

I cannot see Sordo and Paddon excited to be sharing a car next year.

mknight
13th October 2017, 13:49
This was totally expected. There was some hope for Sordo in Australia if
- manu/driver championships were close
- he did well in Spain

None of these two happened.

ESTR
16th October 2017, 22:39
Rumours about Gronholm want develop i20 from WRC to supercar for World RX. Jari Huttunen is Gronholm's "client". Wondering if this is the case that Hyundai choose him instead Kalle.

AnttiL
17th October 2017, 07:31
https://rallysportmag.com/hyundai-groom-huttunen-wrc-glory/

More about Huttunen and the shootout. In the end they had three strong candidates. Huttunen will drive 7-8 WRC2 events and do 20 days of testing.

rp
17th October 2017, 08:06
Huttunen´s pure talent was the reason to choose him, but of course we have to remember that during the Peugeot days Michel Nandan was there as a chief engineer and Marcus knows him very well.

pantealex
17th October 2017, 08:57
Those other 2 strong candidates were also from "north" ;)

Tarmop
17th October 2017, 09:22
Huttunen has already proved, what he is capable of in wrc2. Kalle has a great talent, but still has a lot to learn. IMHO he is a bit overhyped now, but his time will come...

EstWRC
17th October 2017, 09:31

as i understood then Kruuda was the first one who was left out.

rp
17th October 2017, 09:32

Must have been then Bergkvist and Rovanperä :)

AnttiL
17th October 2017, 09:40
Huttunen has already proved, what he is capable of in wrc2. Kalle has a great talent, but still has a lot to learn. IMHO he is a bit overhyped now, but his time will come...

Yeh, we must remember his age, most people are only starting their careers at this point when he is already winning national championships in an R5 car. We can still give him a couple of years.

mknight
17th October 2017, 09:55
Yeh, we must remember his age, most people are only starting their careers at this point when he is already winning national championships in an R5 car. We can still give him a couple of years.

Thing is the "national championship speed" is what a lot of young drivers with money/drives get very quickly. Ex. Latvala, Mikkelsen and... M. Wilson.

The big step is going from that to top 6 WRC speed. For example, Mikkelsen didn't have nearly that kind of speed during his privateer time in WRC but got there after IRC. Wilson never got it, even though his "young" speed was good.

Which is why I am pessimistic about the hype every driver who shows some speed at 17-19 gets. Time will tell how Huttunen does, I hope he does well, but it's far from guaranteed.

RS
17th October 2017, 10:09
Thing is the "national championship speed" is what a lot of young drivers with money/drives get very quickly. Ex. Latvala, Mikkelsen and... M. Wilson.

The big step is going from that to top 6 WRC speed. For example, Mikkelsen didn't have nearly that kind of speed during his privateer time in WRC but got there after IRC. Wilson never got it, even though his "young" speed was good.

Which is why I am pessimistic about the hype every driver who shows some speed at 17-19 gets. Time will tell how Huttunen does, I hope he does well, but it's far from guaranteed.

I think your examples show why it is important for drivers to build up through the series and categories gradually.

Lefebvre is another example of someone who they tried to progress too quickly.

RS
17th October 2017, 10:12
Huttunen has already proved, what he is capable of in wrc2.

Hardly.. it was one event (which was also his home event) where there was also not much competition.

I happen to believe he does have a lot of talent and potential, but he still has a lot to prove too.

AnttiL
17th October 2017, 10:17
I think your examples show why it is important for drivers to build up through the series and categories gradually.

Lefebvre is another example of someone who they tried to progress too quickly.

Lefebvre was good in FWD cars, but he did only a year worth of rallies in R5 with only one good result (in Monte 2015) before being taken into WRC level. And I think WRC2 or ERC is where he should still be.

And I think Rovanperä should do a couple of years of WRC2 as well and he's still years ahead of most of his rivals. I hope the hype doesn't work against him. It's not like he fails if he doesn't win WRC2 in Wales and Australia.

AnttiL
17th October 2017, 10:19
Hardly.. it was one event (which was also his home event) where there was also not much competition.

I happen to believe he does have a lot of talent and potential, but he still has a lot to prove too.

But also his second ever event in R5. What he has is the mental side of winning, starting a rally for the fourth day and maintaining the correct pace that's fast enough but without risks.

GigiGalliNo1
17th October 2017, 15:35
Lefebvre was good in FWD cars, but he did only a year worth of rallies in R5 with only one good result (in Monte 2015) before being taken into WRC level. And I think WRC2 or ERC is where he should still be.

And I think Rovanperä should do a couple of years of WRC2 as well and he's still years ahead of most of his rivals. I hope the hype doesn't work against him. It's not like he fails if he doesn't win WRC2 in Wales and Australia.

Same with Bertelli. Should have continued on with WRC2, he was doing well there and then silly move up to WRC!

denkimi
17th October 2017, 19:36
Its rare that a driver who gets his drives through the money and contacts of his father, turns out to be an incredible talent. Getting the best car and the best support from a very early age makes it 'easy' to win lower championships agains privateers and other young drives who have to do everything themself. Its only when you get to the level where your opponents have the same level of material, that we can see the true talents.

But its not impossible. I had my doubts with verstappen, but he truly is the talent they claimed him to be.

ESTR
25th October 2017, 11:05
Anyone know anything about i20 R2 spec.. Some time ago I read something about plans that they could produce a caar like that.

aykutbilir
25th October 2017, 15:56
Next Year MSA Bulgaria will build one as the homologation completed it is like fiesta based on small turbo engine

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone araclyla gönderildi

AL14
26th October 2017, 09:48
Anyone knows if they are still working on R5 development? I heard it's not a good car. Some italian drivers who have tried it said it has not much grip and you struggle to keep it in the lines. (I can't say the names, it's not Andolfi btw). Do you guys think they are right or have some confirmation of this from other drivers? Or the car is just fine and what matters most is the driver in this case?

RS
26th October 2017, 10:40
Anyone knows if they are still working on R5 development? I heard it's not a good car. Some italian drivers who have tried it said it has not much grip and you struggle to keep it in the lines. (I can't say the names, it's not Andolfi btw). Do you guys think they are right or have some confirmation of this from other drivers? Or the car is just fine and what matters most is the driver in this case?

I have not seen any results which suggest it is on the same level as the Fabia or Fiesta.

Zeakiwi
26th October 2017, 11:24
Anyone know anything about i20 R2 spec.. Some time ago I read something about plans that they could produce a caar like that.

New R2 regulations/ rules might happen in 2018 so Hyundai stopped their R2 i20 project based on the old/ current rules earlier this year.

ESTR
26th October 2017, 11:34

Paddon didn't complain, Neuville also, the car wins Spanish Championship.

Everyone who have money thinks that they can drive anything fast. Sure they blame the car for their bad skills..

EstWRC
26th October 2017, 11:44
and Andolfi is last at the shakedown with it in WRC2 category

https://www.ewrc-results.com/shake/36022-dayinsure-wales-rally-gb-2017/?sct=222

TheFlyingTuga
26th October 2017, 12:42

Everyone who have money thinks that they can drive anything fast. Sure they blame the car for their bad skills..

The word I got in from the Portuguese drivers who drove the car is that the car it's very good, but not user friendly like the Fiesta for example. It takes a lot of pratice and testing and a lot of setup to be competitive with the car. Chassis it's close to the WRC one, so it's made for pro, not for reasonable good drivers.

Andre Oliveira
26th October 2017, 13:37
I confirm that. Car is good but very unfriendly to drivers. Also, Hyundai don’t share anything with costumers. They did the car and turn focus to TCR.

dupanton
26th October 2017, 13:48
Duval didn't like it at all when he drove it last year. His times were pretty bad, compared to his pace with the DS3 earlier that year.
Dilley drove it a couple of times in Belgium, but switched to a fabia now. He also complains about the reliability.

AL14
26th October 2017, 20:53

I never said that drivers who said that have money. And anyway two top drivers paid by Hyundai motorsport to drive the main category are less reliable than a rich boy driving for fun.

Munkvy
26th October 2017, 22:32
Seems to be working ok in Rally GB so far...? Maybe like some have said it's down to the driver being able to extract the best from it?

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 18:11
https://rallysportmag.com/interview-hayden-paddon-2017-whats-coming-2018/

Paddon:

“Discussion are taking place with the parties involved regarding 2018. We have a pretty clear contract that we’re doing all the rallies in 2018. I am just focusing on the driving.”

mknight
30th October 2017, 19:08
It was announced multiple places that Neuville's car had different rear aero (bumper and sides) than Mikkelsen and Paddon (who again had different front than Sordo which had pre-catalunya one).

I can't find any very clear pictures, mostly cause that cars are really dirty and there is always a fountain of mud in when pictures are taken from behind.

Anyone seen it and has some pictures that are clear?

dimviii
30th October 2017, 19:14
It was announced multiple places that Neuville's car had different rear aero (bumper and sides) than Mikkelsen and Paddon (who again had different front than Sordo which had pre-catalunya one).

I can't find any very clear pictures, mostly cause that cars are really dirty and there is always a fountain of mud in when pictures are taken from behind.

Anyone seen it and has some pictures that are clear?

yes I saw somewhere side to side photos and they were different,but don't remember where I saw it,maybe somebody at twitter.

mknight
30th October 2017, 19:18
The old one is here:

http://www.wrc.com/images//Calendar/2017/12_GB/12437_GB-Hyundai-Mikkelsen-2017_2_896x504.jpg?1509271694
(Mikkelsen)

For the new one the best I saw so far is from the vid at 1:39: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFyODMNPZLE

The pods are bit longer and wider and there is an extra hole lower down a bit Citroen-style, but with cover.

dimviii
30th October 2017, 20:36
at today runs with invited persons Hyundai used dual vents

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNaTcJIUMAAG6C4.jpg

Mrpengski
31st October 2017, 14:54
Check out the test videos for Wales, the test car was already running the new rear fender and bumper.

https://www.ewrc.cz/images/2017/photos/dayinsure_wales_rally_gb_2017/jpo_200000050-neuville-ndz.jpg

AnttiL
3rd November 2017, 06:48
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/132812/hyundai-could-still-reshuffle-2018-wrc-drivers

Nandan saying they still haven't decided ultimately who's driving a whole season and who's not. Also again rumors of Sordo going to rallycross.

GravelBen
3rd November 2017, 10:43
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/132812/hyundai-could-still-reshuffle-2018-wrc-drivers

Nandan saying they still haven't decided ultimately who's driving a whole season and who's not.

Strange to be saying that while still saying that all the drivers have contracts to do all the rallies, I wouldn't have thought the big bosses would like a manager blatantly saying that they're planning to dishonour contracts. Maybe he's hoping to pressure a driver into leaving, or knows about something else happening in the background that isn't public.

Mk2 RS2000
4th November 2017, 23:23
Strange to be saying that while still saying that all the drivers have contracts to do all the rallies, I wouldn't have thought the big bosses would like a manager blatantly saying that they're planning to dishonour contracts. Maybe he's hoping to pressure a driver into leaving, or knows about something else happening in the background that isn't public.

Watch the movements of he who has blamed the car for his failure to win the WDC title this year.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th November 2017, 18:22
I dont know if this was discussed elsewhere, but I just heard that Neuville had a '2018-spec' i20 from Rally GB... hence his superior speed on this event and in Australia.

Anyone else heard or know more about this ?

AnttiL
30th November 2017, 18:28
I dont know if this was discussed elsewhere, but I just heard that Neuville had a '2018-spec' i20 from Rally GB... hence his superior speed on this event and in Australia.

Anyone else heard or know more about this ?

I think the different rear aero was noticed on the forums

Fast Eddie WRC
30th November 2017, 18:52
No improvement in the steering making it stronger after the previous breakages ? He hit a bank hard early on Rally GB and got away damage-free...

EstWRC
30th November 2017, 19:36
i posted this in the news thread but seems it was missed

The Belgian has run a 2018 specification i20 for the last two rounds and Nandan is confident the team has found the durability needed to challenge next year.

“We made the homologation of the 2018 car in October so Thierry could use this car in Wales,” Nandan explained.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/hyundai-australia-dominance-warning-shot-for-2018-983456/

AnttiL
30th November 2017, 21:02
The only 2018 things on the car was the aero and not all of it was on.

What are your sources? You also said (http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37117-WRC-News-amp-Rumours-(part-V)-2017&p=1155009&viewfull=1#post1155009) that Mikkelsen joining Hyundai was "not true".

dupanton
1st December 2017, 06:43
I heard (not certain if it's true) that they are developing a new material to use for the suspension arms etc.

SubaruNorway
1st December 2017, 09:56
My sources are strong and with reference to the Mikkelsen thing that came out of the blue.

So what you are saying is that Nandan is lying then?

Edit: Regarding reliabilety

racerx1979
1st December 2017, 19:42
I heard (not certain if it's true) that they are developing a new material to use for the suspension arms etc.

They will be made of unobtanium

Coach 2
1st December 2017, 20:02
They are "developing" a NEW materieal, ok.

Yes, probably unobtanium, stronger than steel and lighter than helium, with no friction.

OHL
2nd December 2017, 05:05
I suppose they will use cold rolled unobtainium as drop forging drives the price through the roof.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd December 2017, 11:36
I doubt Neuville's steering would've survived this hit in the previous spec ...

https://i.imgur.com/h3ablnH.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHanlv-MndA

N.O.T
2nd December 2017, 14:24
I doubt Neuville's steering would've survived this hit in the previous spec ...

https://i.imgur.com/h3ablnH.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHanlv-MndA

when someone has an off luck is the major factor that decides retirement rather than spec of the car, an inch can decide if you hit a rock or a soft bank...

autism and old age medication is there for a reason....

Simmi
2nd December 2017, 16:37
Looks like the guys are having fun at Monza Rally Show. Really cool to see them swapping seats throughout the event - https://www.facebook.com/hmirally/videos/1512357048855376/

N.O.T
2nd December 2017, 17:53

lol... where did you hear that ??

are you uneducated peasants and believe everything you hear ??

dupanton
3rd December 2017, 13:58
lol... where did you hear that ??

are you uneducated peasants and believe everything you hear ??

Maybe the word "developing" was wrong. What I meant is that they got in contact with a firm to pick a new material, which is confirmed by other members here. And no, I don't believe everything, hence the sentence in brackets

Coach 2
3rd December 2017, 18:23
Maybe the word "developing" was wrong. What I meant is that they got in contact with a firm to pick a new material, which is confirmed by other members here. And no, I don't believe everything, hence the sentence in brackets

Just had to comment a little because of your word selection, you are probably not English either.
Can quickly become words that exaggerate when we try to describe, and directly translate from our own language.
It was just for fun.

Rally Power
9th December 2017, 14:48
http://www.marca.com/motor/rallies/2017/12/08/5a2a6ece22601d72108b45a1.html
Sordo ’18 program revealed: MC/MEX/Corsica/ARG/POR/GER/Catalunya; he says he’s pleased with it as it gives him more time to prepare his favorite events. Marca also says Paddon will do the remaining events (actually it lacks one for an equal 7 events program, probably meaning Hyundai will enter 4 cars in one event).

Sordo seems calm, as ‘18 may be his last WRC year, but having Paddon doing just half a season is a waste; that's why it makes sense to believe he'll also do some WRC2 events.

racerx1979
9th December 2017, 21:19
I wonder if HP can get additional backing from Hyundai NZ to run the other rallies.. would be interesting anyways...

Grundo Farb
12th December 2017, 17:29
http://www.marca.com/motor/rallies/2017/12/08/5a2a6ece22601d72108b45a1.html
Sordo ’18 program revealed: MC/MEX/Corsica/ARG/POR/GER/Catalunya; he says he’s pleased with it as it gives him more time to prepare his favorite events. Marca also says Paddon will do the remaining events (actually it lacks one for an equal 7 events program, probably meaning Hyundai will enter 4 cars in one event).

Sordo seems calm, as ‘18 may be his last WRC year, but having Paddon doing just half a season is a waste; that's why it makes sense to believe he'll also do some WRC2 events.

Agree about a waste for Paddon. Also doesn't make sense for Paddon to miss Mexico and Argentina - particularly when he has won the latter before.

GravelBen
12th December 2017, 18:38
Agree about a waste for Paddon. Also doesn't make sense for Paddon to miss Mexico and Argentina - particularly when he has won the latter before.

I agree, I assume they want Sordo at the Spanish-speaking rounds for marketing reasons rather than results.

ESTR
12th December 2017, 18:42
I agree, I assume they want Sordo at the Spanish-speaking rounds for marketing reasons rather than results.

I think that they ask Sordo first which events he wants to contest because it was revealed just for his plan next year.

pantealex
12th December 2017, 20:29
I think that they ask Sordo first which events he wants to contest because it was revealed just for his plan next year.

LOL, you actually believe that Sordo can choose which events he wants and Paddon just had to drive others. Think again, hard!

ESTR
13th December 2017, 03:58
LOL, you actually believe that Sordo can choose which events he wants and Paddon just had to drive others. Think again, hard!

well at least 3 others because there aren't much more tarmac in the calendar.

Andre Oliveira
10th January 2018, 10:23
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTKwrmlWsAESZLy?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTKw0DzXkAYlfI5?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTKw6w3WsAAqfGl?format=jpg&name=large

Simmi
10th January 2018, 11:52
A couple of very small changes on the livery. More blue along the bottom of the doors. Bit more orange on the front and across the door.

More interested to see the final homologated aero when that's sorted.

pantealex
10th January 2018, 12:08
I see that orange is missing totally...

I only see red not orange...

Pictures could lie...

dimviii
10th January 2018, 12:12
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTLT0iZX0AELo9Q.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTLT2wdW4AE9S-w.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTLT4LjX0AAJ7KH.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTLT6aoX4AEbtem.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2018, 15:58
Hope the other Manu's 2018 liveries are more interesting than that...

Rallyper
10th January 2018, 16:26
Understand the bigger rear wing. Looked obvious many times they needed more rear downforce in 2017.

Eli
10th January 2018, 18:18
After this livery I'm way less hopeful about the others and what they'll show tomorrow.

steve.mandzij
10th January 2018, 19:58
Hope the other Manu's 2018 liveries are more interesting than that...Have I got news for you...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

KiwiWRCfan
11th January 2018, 04:25
Very busy year ahead for Hayden Paddon with plenty of other events when not doing WRC events
Read more in this RallySportMag article https://rallysportmag.com/paddon-focussed-on-re-booting-rally-career-in-2018/

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
11th January 2018, 08:44
Does anyone have a problem when login to Hyundai Motorsport press media page..?

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

AnttiL
11th January 2018, 15:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTRF8TmWAActJdZ.jpg:large

when a picture says more than a thousand words...

Munkvy
11th January 2018, 19:40
Interesting to note that Andreas has Even on his overalls. Not sure I have seen that before?

mknight
11th January 2018, 20:25
I am surprised nobody has yet commented how the orange around the headlights on the 2018 model matches Neuville's glasses.

(note that he has had same glasses for at least 2 years)

racerx1979
11th January 2018, 20:30
I am also surprised nobody mentioned the chrome Hyundai badge matches Nuevilles knobs on his watch.. lol

Watson
11th January 2018, 20:47
I'm surprised nobody's ever told Neuville that orange specs make you look a right knobhead.

steve.mandzij
11th January 2018, 21:50
I'm surprised nobody's ever told Neuville that orange specs make you look a right knobhead.I quite liked them :(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GigiGalliNo1
12th January 2018, 00:32
I'm surprised nobody's ever told Neuville that orange specs make you look a right knobhead.

bahahahahaa

Myrvold
12th January 2018, 03:42
Interesting to note that Andreas has Even on his overalls. Not sure I have seen that before?

Nothing new
https://imbo.vgc.no/users/vgno/images/483a4b295b91090781a65496b298f2a0?t[0]=crop:width=4256,height=2719,x=0,y=113&t[1]=maxSize:width=990&t[2]=resize:width=990&accessToken=a8f7512084c6c3980dda43652f01ab8c7ee225 932ae23d21efd7ec3ff282805f

Rallyper
12th January 2018, 10:40
And VW, driving a Huyndai. ;)

Fitz
12th January 2018, 17:08
Actually I got the impression yesterday at the launch that Hyundai felt they were hard done to as there were constant references to having the fastest car etc and when interviewed this came across even more.

Yes maybe most stage wins etc but you didn't start first on the road etc except for Germany.

Then Neuville was going on about how when he was leading the championship.
Personally I thought it better to say when we were tied for points but I was leading as I had more wins (& dnf's) I thought to myself.

He is becoming slightly irritating.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th January 2018, 10:37
https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/mikkelsen-hyundai-i20-reminds-me-of-vw-polo/

AnttiL
13th January 2018, 14:27
Great to see MN having a grasp on the facts when it was Evans who finished second in Finland...

Yeh, Mikkelsen was second in Deutschland

jparker
25th January 2018, 16:44
Actually I got the impression yesterday at the launch that Hyundai felt they were hard done to as there were constant references to having the fastest car etc and when interviewed this came across even more.

Yes maybe most stage wins etc but you didn't start first on the road etc except for Germany.

Then Neuville was going on about how when he was leading the championship.
Personally I thought it better to say when we were tied for points but I was leading as I had more wins (& dnf's) I thought to myself.

He is becoming slightly irritating.

Hahaha, It wouldn't be irritating only if it wasn't true.

electroliquid
7th February 2018, 08:22
http://rallyestonia.com/hyundai-motorsport-to-start-at-shell-helix-rally-estonia/ H.Paddon/S.Marshall will start in Rally Estonia 2018, with Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC.

dupanton
7th February 2018, 08:40
He should do some asphalt rallies instead...

EstWRC
5th March 2018, 07:44
Hyundai Motorsport announce new President https://rallysportmag.com/hyundai-motorsport-announce-new-president050318/

Mk2 RS2000
31st July 2018, 06:06
In light of the performance of Hayden's car at Finland I am surprised that no one has commented on the changes that have been engineered into it

Grundo Farb
31st July 2018, 09:05
In light of the performance of Hayden's car at Finland I am surprised that no one has commented on the changes that have been engineered into it

Or about how poor Mikkelsen was in comparison (not just this rally but others as well compared to Sordo). I just get the feeling that Hyundai have thrown their weight behind Mikkelsen prematurely compared to Sordo and Paddon, but don't see them changing their minds.

mknight
31st July 2018, 11:48
Or about how poor Mikkelsen was in comparison (not just this rally but others as well compared to Sordo). I just get the feeling that Hyundai have thrown their weight behind Mikkelsen prematurely compared to Sordo and Paddon, but don't see them changing their minds.

Obviously at this rally Mikkelsen had the worst road position for all but few friday stages (when the car was in one piece), even then on friday he was 5th on the road while Paddon was 11th.

The season so far has obviously been quite bad from Mikkelsen (especially compared with his 3 rallies with Hyundai last year). Paddon did his first very good result of the season here. (on Sardinia he "suffered" 4th place, a bit like Mikkelsen did in Mexico).

Compared on the rallies they competed:
Sweden - Mikkelsen faster
Portugal - next to each other after a few stages, then Mikkelsen retired with technical issues and Paddon crashed
Sardinia - Mikkelsen faster, retired due to gearbox
Finland - Paddon faster

Sordo is doing very good this year (except on Monte), but he also did not start on the rallies that he typically did bad on (Sweden, Finland). Also compared to last year he does not have technical issues, which seem to have moved to Mikkelsen (3 technical DNFS from 3rd, 4th and 1st position).

So if at the moment Hyundai should pick 3 cars out of those 4. It would be Neuville, Mikkelsen and Sordo.

doubled1978
1st August 2018, 10:22
The Hyundai always looks to me that it's fighting an inherent imbalance in the chassis. It looks overly roll stiff in the rear....Neuville has found a way to set it up/drive it that works for him, but the others seem to not be able to be consistent with it.

skarderud
1st August 2018, 10:54
Mikkelsen said in an intervu that he struggle to get the right feeling in the car, they don't thrust the car at the stages.
In tests it feels good, than on the stages it feels different.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

tommeke_B
1st August 2018, 11:29
Mikkelsen said in an intervu that he struggle to get the right feeling in the car, they don't thrust the car at the stages.
In tests it feels good, than on the stages it feels different.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Strange how he was so fast in the first few rallies he did with it last year, and now after so many events all confidence in the car seems to be gone. When we saw him passing by on the stages in Finland I was always disappointed...

@mknight, about starting positions... Tänak was 3rd on the road on friday and still quickest.

GravelBen
1st August 2018, 12:33
Compared on the rallies they competed:
Sweden - Mikkelsen faster [Mikkelsen finished higher so was faster overall (and you'd expect him to be more at home in the snow), but Paddon actually won more stages]
Portugal - next to each other after a few stages, then Mikkelsen retired with technical issues and Paddon crashed
Sardinia - Mikkelsen faster, retired due to gearbox [Paddon's road position was terrible (wading through a mudbath for day 1) so we never got to compare them with similar conditions before Mikkelsen retired. And wasn't Mikkelsen's gearbox damage from a couple of spins?]
Finland - Paddon faster

Sordo is doing very good this year (except on Monte), but he also did not start on the rallies that he typically did bad on (Sweden, Finland). Also compared to last year he does not have technical issues, which seem to have moved to Mikkelsen (3 technical DNFS from 3rd, 4th and 1st position).

So if at the moment Hyundai should pick 3 cars out of those 4. It would be Neuville, Mikkelsen and Sordo.

Added some extra comments to yours above.

Sordo has been driving his best in a long time, but I don't think Mikkelsen has been as good as the team expected him to be.

Finland is the first rally with the new front diff which Paddon has been wanting for quite a while, it will be interesting to see if they have any other developments to come during the season.