PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai WRT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

AnttiL
30th January 2020, 11:55
Money Money Money, but in all seriousness, isn't Loubet part of the customer program of Hyundai?

That's it. No sense to put in a fourth car just for fun. But if someone have money to pay to drive one, why not! Hyundai is effectively stepping on the toes of M-Sport with the customer/junior programs.

skarderud
30th January 2020, 12:04
Sadly money beats talent...

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

wyler
30th January 2020, 12:13
I really dont understand Adamo, why the h.ll he put in loubet in a WRC?
Breen is "proven", but he has loeb, sordo, paddon and Mikkelsen, all 4 9f them is a better choice than this.

can't understand why putting a youngster to prove itself on a wrc is a problem. it ll be in a private or b team, definitely not entered for the win. why use that spot for a regular with no/small development margin in a private/b team with the current regulation? good maybe for the spectator, definitely not for the team.

AnttiL
30th January 2020, 12:18

Once again, there wouldn't be a "fourth car" without business like this.

- If Greensmith didn't have Crown Oil backing, there wouldn't have been a third Fiesta in Monte
- If Jocius didn't buy his drives, there wouldn't have been a fourth Fiesta in Monte
- If Katsuta wasn't backed by Japan, there wouldn't have been a fourth Yaris in Monte

and so on.

Motorsport is not only a sport, it's also business, and we must accept that.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th January 2020, 13:17
Good for Loubet to have this chance with Hyundai, but it's the last chance gone of ever seeing the C3 WRC 'Evo' in action. :(

RS
30th January 2020, 14:22

To succeed in motorsport, you need both and I actually believe Loubet might have some of the latter too.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th January 2020, 16:18
This is how Craig Breen gets the money...

"John Campion sponsored the Irish rally team of Craig Breen and Paul Nagle who posted multiple first-place finishes and won the 2019 Irish Tarmac Championship under the CJJ banner. CJJ Motorsports is proud to continue its formal relationship with Breen and Nagle as they embark on the 2020 World Rally Championship season".

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/noted-auto-collector-and-irish-american-entrepreneur-john-campion-establishes-cjj-motorsports-racing-team-300995788.html

skarderud
30th January 2020, 17:12
Acording to Norwegian Parc Ferme website Loeb got asked by Adamo if he wanted to drive in sweden, and the first thing hit his head was no.
Is this a sign of that not even Loeb can get the grip of the car?
He said he just want to drive the remaining rallies after sweden.
it was original 6? So 4 left?

tommeke_B
30th January 2020, 17:19
My guess for the remaining season of Loeb would be Mexico, Safari, New Zealand, Turkey and possibly Germany or Japan.

er88
30th January 2020, 17:23
Loeb doesn't have a problem with the car on gravel tbh, and Sweden was an event he didn't even want to originally do.

No point writing him off yet, but he is an old man who is now 8years on from his original WRC retirement...

He isn't on the same level as the top 3 for starters, but could compete with some favourable road positions.

AnttiL
30th January 2020, 17:25
My guess for the remaining season of Loeb would be Mexico, Safari, New Zealand, Turkey and possibly Germany or Japan.

Sordo's program was supposed to be Mexico, Argentina, Portugal, Sardegna, Turkey, Germany and Japan. I think Loeb will do only Safari and NZ, with Breen in Finland and Wales.

er88
30th January 2020, 17:27
My guess for the remaining season of Loeb would be Mexico, Safari, New Zealand, Turkey and possibly Germany or Japan.Sordo is starting his season in mexico and has good speed/ form there. No way Loeb does Germany as he turned it down even in the Citroen because of the dirty roads further down the start order, and Sordo is better in the car on tarmac anyway. Presume Japan will be the same.

mknight
30th January 2020, 17:32
Loeb doesn't have a problem with the car on gravel tbh, and Sweden was an event he didn't even want to originally do.

He clearly had a problem in Sweden last year as he was consistently the slowest WRC (apart from Tidemand). Which is why it was strange he got nominated to Sweden this year in the first place.

Similarly he was one of the slowest cars in Portugal.
So he isn't exactly consistently fast on gravel with it.

I don't think it's only his fault. But question is how motivated he is to "fight" with the car setup/development.

Tarmop
30th January 2020, 17:33
Well, after the performance of Toyota in RMC, maybe they will use a fifth Hyundai in some cases...if things get interesting in the WDC.

er88
30th January 2020, 19:29
Well, after the performance of Toyota in RMC, maybe they will use a fifth Hyundai in some cases...if things get interesting in the WDC.Yeah they could do I suppose. Toyota will have Latvala on a few events and there's been one or two whispers Meeke could get a start here or there, due to still being involved with the team.

I can't see Paddon not doing New Zealand (even if it's not in a Hyundai), then you have Loeb possibly able to do another event or two, and Mikkelsen sitting on the sidelines. So they have options if they feel they need to bring more cars to help.

Allez Andruet
30th January 2020, 20:04
There could be quite a few Toyota and Hyundai WRCs in Wales (and even in Japan), if everything is still up for grabs at that time. If Ogier's title quest demands it, I wouldn't be surprised if TGR/TMR/whatever-the-rumored-satellite-team-is-called fields a squad of Ogier, Evans, Rovanperä, Latvala, Meeke and Katsuta. And Hyundai can ofcourse counter that with Tänak, Neuville, Sordo, Mikkelsen, Breen and Loubet (and even with Loeb, if he's interested). SDI in WRC, eh?

doubled1978
30th January 2020, 20:35
There could be quite a few Toyota and Hyundai WRCs in Wales (and even in Japan), if everything is still up for grabs at that time. If Ogier's title quest demands it, I wouldn't be surprised if TGR/TMR/whatever-the-rumored-satellite-team-is-called fields a squad of Ogier, Evans, Rovanperä, Latvala, Meeke and Katsuta. And Hyundai can ofcourse counter that with Tänak, Neuville, Sordo, Mikkelsen, Breen and Loubet (and even with Loeb, if he's interested). SDI in WRC, eh?

If that happens Wales will be epic to spectate on!

Grutz
30th January 2020, 20:50
Yeah they could do I suppose. Toyota will have Latvala on a few events and there's been one or two whispers Meeke could get a start here or there, due to still being involved with the team.

I can't see Paddon not doing New Zealand (even if it's not in a Hyundai), then you have Loeb possibly able to do another event or two, and Mikkelsen sitting on the sidelines. So they have options if they feel they need to bring more cars to help.

I think with Hyundai WRT renting out WRC cars (Obviously to Loubet) Hyundai NZ will make sure Paddon is driving a Hyundai WRC in New Zealand.

gorganl2000
31st January 2020, 16:58
https://www.sebastienloeb.com/le-top-3-de-seb-rallye-monte-carlo-2020/

I'm not sure if this was posted before, but this is Loeb's summary/explanation of how things unfolded during Monte Carlo
quite an interesting read

if true, then i respect the honesty about the factors affecting his performance in the Monte and his/team decision to skip Sweden

dimviii
31st January 2020, 17:26

I'm not sure if this was posted before, but this is Loeb's summary/explanation of how things unfolded during Monte Carlo

if true, then i respect the honesty about the factors affecting his performance in the Monte and his/team decision to skip Sweden

always Nr 1,with steering wheel,or without.

doubled1978
31st January 2020, 19:32

Classy guy. At his stage in his career he has nothing to prove, and after a year in the Hyundai he knows which rallies he can be fast on, and Sweden is not one of them.

Portimao
16th February 2020, 13:30
Adamo should reconsider his choice on Breen and set it back to Mikkelsen.

denkimi
16th February 2020, 13:40
Adamo should reconsider his choice on Breen and set it back to Mikkelsen.
I agree. Although it hardly matters since both neuville and tanak finished, i believe mikkelsen would have done a better job here.

mknight
16th February 2020, 13:59
Last year after about the same number of kms as the whole rally this year Mikkelsen was 2nd behind Tänak in leading Toyota and ahead of Evans and Lappi, so he could have done better than Breen. Or written the other way it was actually impossible to do worse than Breen here in terms of points.

Anyway Adamo has decided last year he doesn't trust Mikkelsen and trusts Breen, actual performance seems to have limited connection with that decision.

In either case there is no point for Adamo to run anyone else that Sordo until Finland. Similarly there is limited point for Mikkelsen to sit around and wait to drive 1-2 rallies only to get kicked at once when he finished worse than a podium or to get ignored completely like Paddon was last year. He should go for some other program as soon as possible.

cali
16th February 2020, 14:20
Last year after about the same number of kms as the whole rally this year Mikkelsen was 2nd behind Tänak in leading Toyota and ahead of Evans and Lappi, so he could have done better than Breen. Or written the other way it was actually impossible to do worse than Breen here in terms of points.

Anyway Adamo has decided last year he doesn't trust Mikkelsen and trusts Breen, actual performance seems to have limited connection with that decision.

In either case there is no point for Adamo to run anyone else that Sordo until Finland. Similarly there is limited point for Mikkelsen to sit around and wait to drive 1-2 rallies only to get kicked at once when he finished worse than a podium or to get ignored completely like Paddon was last year. He should go for some other program as soon as possible.Care to elaborate what these other options be as I can't really recall any seats available? Only if he's willing to pay...

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

EstWRC
16th February 2020, 14:46
oh man, now you really pissed him off

mknight
16th February 2020, 14:50
In 2018 Breen beat Hollywood the 2nd in Sweden in Citroen's dog so have no doubt Craig has the pace. Adamo picked him for a reason so stop your bitching just cos your boy wasnt there. As the conditions were so random its irrelevant to say who would have done a better job anyway.

Breen has never beaten Mikkelsen in same car in I20 out of 2 tries and crashed from behind him in their last start together. Mikkelsen beat Breen in C3 2 out of 3 starts.

In terms of manu points as well as taking points off competition it wasn't possible for anyone to do worse than Breen in Sweden.

If you can't respond without insults use ignore or don't respond.

Katvala
16th February 2020, 14:50
What's the deal here? Mikkelsen haven't had a drive this year, and did well last half of season last year. Breen with Hyundai haven't been a success on his three rallies.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Eric
16th February 2020, 15:51
In 2018 Breen beat Hollywood the 2nd in Sweden in Citroen's dog so have no doubt Craig has the pace. Adamo picked him for a reason so stop your bitching just cos your boy wasnt there. As the conditions were so random its irrelevant to say who would have done a better job anyway.

Breen in Hyundai = 2x 7th place and 1x crash. Dont blame the conditions, he has been shit in the i20. Lets hope Adamo choose Mikkelsen next time.

tommeke_B
16th February 2020, 17:57
While we're at it, Breen was once 7th (Finland), after giving 6th place away to Neuville by being late at TC. Once crash yes, but he still finished 8th. And now in Sweden 7th.

Since last year, when Breen was without a seat, he took all offers he had, driving in Ireland, Italy, Ypres... Against strong competition, he kept searching and kept driving, kept trying to hold all doors open. Now he's going to do ERC with unproven tires. He seems to take every opportunity that comes to him, lives for the sport and everyone seems to appreciate that.

Where was Mikkelsen in Sweden? Do you believe it was impossible for him to get the funds together for a drive with an R5 car? What if the reason why Mikkelsen is without a seat now, is not his lack of talent, but his attitude?

Eric
16th February 2020, 18:47
While we're at it, Breen was once 7th (Finland), after giving 6th place away to Neuville by being late at TC. Once crash yes, but he still finished 8th. And now in Sweden 7th.

Since last year, when Breen was without a seat, he took all offers he had, driving in Ireland, Italy, Ypres... Against strong competition, he kept searching and kept driving, kept trying to hold all doors open. Now he's going to do ERC with unproven tires. He seems to take every opportunity that comes to him, lives for the sport and everyone seems to appreciate that.

Where was Mikkelsen in Sweden? Do you believe it was impossible for him to get the funds together for a drive with an R5 car? What if the reason why Mikkelsen is without a seat now, is not his lack of talent, but his attitude?

This is only speculations. We dont know whats going on behind closed doors and what Mikkelsen is doing to get back in a WRC car. And what do you really mean? That the drivers that are doing most rallies outside the WRC should get a seat even though their performance isnt good?
All we know is that Breen has been terrible behind the wheel of the i20...

With that said, Mikkelsens attitude og lifestyle isnt the best. I dont think anyone else of the top 10 drivers is living such a glamorous and relaxed life as he is. Even though he´s without a seat and his career is at risk.

Myrvold
16th February 2020, 19:45

You mean the attitude that made him go from a safe, cozy environment where dad paid everything to work out sponsors by himself in 2009? Or the Hankook-2010 (when you are on the subject of ERC/IRC with unproven tyres).
What about his R5 driving in 2017? Or driving for free for Citroën the same year?

I am a bit surprised that he hasn't ended up with some M-Sport rides as he left EVEN and thus can pay for driving a WRC car. But I'm not too sure that his attitude is that much of an issue.

doubled1978
16th February 2020, 20:39
On the face of it given Mikkelsen did pretty well in 2019 it is surprising that Breen was picked over Mikkelsen. But there has clearly been a breakdown between Mikkelsen and Hyundai/Adamo so I think its pretty pointless to keep going on about it, he doesn’t appear to have any chance of getting back in the car. Whether that is something he has done, or something that has come from them we don’t know.
Breen has done ok but nothing more than that, but in his career so far he hasn’t really shown us he can consistently fight for podiums...
Hyundai have this odd scenario where they are essentially looking for a guy to drive 3 events that Loeb/Sordo don’t want to drive, I’m guessing Mikkelsen sees himself as better than that, and Breen is happy to accept it.
Personally, and even more after this weekend I would give Huttunen the chance to show what he’s got, as much as Breen is a good character, I think we have seen what he’s got.

er88
16th February 2020, 20:51
It's just a case of Adamo trusting Breen not just in terms of his driving, but his character. Breen is basically just there as backup and could be made to drop positions, check in late or early, drive with a margin and be safe etc etc. Whereas I think Adamo feels Mikkelsen would come in for 2/3 events and try to drive the arse off the car to prove he deserves a full time seat.

Adamo said as much about Breen on Friday on AllLive, that Breen is essentially "backup" while the other two drivers are going flat out. So before the rally has even started hes telling a rusty Breen, you have to finish and you have to drive with no risk. In that sense it's understandable Craig wasn't blindingly fast or on the pace. He was there just incase Tanak or Neuville went out, or needed his help...

mknight
16th February 2020, 21:56
In almost half of his rallies in 2019 Mikkelsen drove at less than maximum attack to secure points under Adamo orders. There was even an analysis by the pushing pace guy that showed it in numbers. He was also forbidden from pushing on most power stages. (Swe, Arg, Turkey, GB). Sometimes very directly on allive.

Doesn't look like listening or not listening to Adamos orders is the main issue here. Might be he is not interested in just 2-3 starts, might be something else. Adamos words were that he is binary and either trusts a driver or he doesn't.

At end of 2018 I started mentioning the "Hyundai process", it's somehow interesting that it keeps extending still..

2017: Paddon and Sordo struggle - > reduce their starts, hire Mikkelsen
2018: Mikkelsen struggles - > reduce Mikkelsen starts, kick Paddon, hire Loeb
2019: Loeb struggles - > kick Mikkelsen, reduce Loeb starts, hire Breen and then Tanak

2019-2020 (TBC) : Breen struggles, Tänak struggles? - > kick Loeb?, hire Huttunen?
We'll see...

steve.mandzij
17th February 2020, 00:04
In almost half of his rallies in 2019 Mikkelsen drove at less than maximum attack to secure points under Adamo orders. There was even an analysis by the pushing pace guy that showed it in numbers. He was also forbidden from pushing on most power stages. (Swe, Arg, Turkey, GB). Sometimes very directly on allive.

Doesn't look like listening or not listening to Adamos orders is the main issue here. Might be he is not interested in just 2-3 starts, might be something else. Adamos words were that he is binary and either trusts a driver or he doesn't.

At end of 2018 I started mentioning the "Hyundai process", it's somehow interesting that it keeps extending still..

2017: Paddon and Sordo struggle - > reduce their starts, hire Mikkelsen
2018: Mikkelsen struggles - > reduce Mikkelsen starts, kick Paddon, hire Loeb
2019: Loeb struggles - > kick Mikkelsen, reduce Loeb starts, hire Breen and then Tanak

2019-2020 (TBC) : Breen struggles, Tänak struggles? - > kick Loeb?, hire Huttunen?
We'll see...Mikkelsen drove a nail through his own coffin when he could barely edge out R5 cars on tarmac events, in addition to his mistakes on tarmac like Monte (or Corsica?) where he crashed at stage end. Regardless of his earlier successes and subsequent improvements in pace his torrid, pathetic showings on tarmac likely made Adamo eager to get rid of him, a driver who could either potentially be on the podium or have the speed to compete with a Katsuta.

skarderud
17th February 2020, 04:48
Mikkelsen drove a nail through his own coffin when he could barely edge out R5 cars on tarmac events, in addition to his mistakes on tarmac like Monte (or Corsica?) where he crashed at stage end. Regardless of his earlier successes and subsequent improvements in pace his torrid, pathetic showings on tarmac likely made Adamo eager to get rid of him, a driver who could either potentially be on the podium or have the speed to compete with a Katsuta.Same pathetic tarmacperformance like this french guy, what his name? Loeb? Maybe he isnt good enough at tarmac.....

Fast Eddie WRC
17th February 2020, 10:11
Adamo clearly has his reasons and wouldnt pick an 'inferior' driver. He doesnt want to use Mikkelsen (and Paddon) and thats just how it is.

The results will show if he is right or not if they retain the Manus title. And lets be honest, with Tanak and Neuville in the team, the 3rd driver wont be that crucial very often.

mknight
17th February 2020, 11:07
Mikkelsen drove a nail through his own coffin when he could barely edge out R5 cars on tarmac events, in addition to his mistakes on tarmac like Monte (or Corsica?) where he crashed at stage end. Regardless of his earlier successes and subsequent improvements in pace his torrid, pathetic showings on tarmac likely made Adamo eager to get rid of him, a driver who could either potentially be on the podium or have the speed to compete with a Katsuta.

As mentioned Loeb has similar torrid, pathetic showings on tarmac even after 6 tarmac rallies in the car. Lately he was the slowest WRC on tarmac in Catalunya a few months ago. When Mikkelsen did the same 12 months before, the lynch crowd here was all over the place about how bad he is and how he is "still learning" while Loeb is winning the rally in C3. FYI Mikkelsen was behind R5 on ONE rainy stage where he was one of the first cars on the road without ever testing in rain. He crashed at stage end from 3rd in Monte last year yes, missing how should that be something extraordinarily bad, every corner is a corner. Loeb was behind multiple R5s on Sunday at this years Monte and managed to crash on very first stage of a rally with the car at 2019 Corsica.

Surely both Loeb and Mikkelsen forgot to drive on tarmac, both within a few months (Loeb from Catalunya 2018 to Corsica 2019, Mikkelsen from Germany 2017 to Catalunya 2017), just like that.

https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/1229012662895468544

Think this tweet suggests Craig did the job they were expecting..

Have you ever seen a team PR-account tweet saying their driver did bad? Do tell.

Anyway David Evans in his typical unbiased way gave Breen's Sweden performance 5/10 points, which is same score as Neuville and Ogier got from him. He even regrets that he can't give him more points than Neuville who was cleaning the road and took 4 points from PS....so I guess they might soon end sacked and Breen replaces one of them.
https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/rally-sweden-driver-ratings/

Fast Eddie WRC
18th February 2020, 19:57
https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-trying-to-be-realistic-about-sweden-result/

Breen
"We were able to match Thierry at times and Ott so I have to be realistic with that.

I’m not in the car a lot at all, I hadn’t sat in the car since GB last year so I have to be somewhat happy and content with how the speed was.”

dimviii
18th February 2020, 21:31
new i 20

https://www.drive.gr/sites/default/files/node-files/photos/gallery/2020/02/leaked_hyundai_i20_1.jpg
https://www.drive.gr/sites/default/files/styles/620_width_scale/public/inline-images/Leaked%20Hyundai%20i20%20%283%29.jpg?itok=20eMbV2E

deephouse
19th February 2020, 06:31
new i 20

https://www.drive.gr/sites/default/files/node-files/photos/gallery/2020/02/leaked_hyundai_i20_1.jpg
https://www.drive.gr/sites/default/files/styles/620_width_scale/public/inline-images/Leaked%20Hyundai%20i20%20%283%29.jpg?itok=20eMbV2E

Oh my god, it's not so pretty like current one.

EstWRC
19th February 2020, 06:48
in estonian national flag colours :D

the sniper
19th February 2020, 10:43
Will there still be a three door version?

Fast Eddie WRC
19th February 2020, 11:10
Will there still be a three door version?

Maybe but new 3-door hatches are getting rare. The larger Golf/Focus class has now lost them completely, even the hot versions. :(

Fast Eddie WRC
19th February 2020, 15:58
i20 N spied testing as 5-door...

https://www.evo.co.uk/hyundai/i20/22627/new-hyundai-i20-n-spied-testing-a-new-rival-for-the-ford-fiesta-st

Tarmop
19th February 2020, 16:12
8.05.2019, no camo, current generation

pantealex
19th February 2020, 18:51
i20 N spied testing as 5-door...

https://www.evo.co.uk/hyundai/i20/22627/new-hyundai-i20-n-spied-testing-a-new-rival-for-the-ford-fiesta-st

That´s old model i20 from 5/2019

Fast Eddie WRC
20th February 2020, 10:53
That´s old model i20 fromm 5/2019

I know but it shows 5-doors even for the sports model is the way they're going.

wyler
24th February 2020, 11:33
aero news on i20:
https://www.facebook.com/FanClubTNNG/photos/a.320227184699101/2731724423549353/?type=3&theater

AnttiL
24th February 2020, 12:33
aero news on i20:
https://www.facebook.com/FanClubTNNG/photos/a.320227184699101/2731724423549353/?type=3&theater

This is a more detailed analysis https://www.wrcwings.tech/2020/02/23/hyundai-evaluates-significant-aero-modifications-in-rally-mexico-pre-event-tests/

EstWRC
28th February 2020, 18:40
https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyundai-runs-aero-updates-in-fafe/

mknight
28th February 2020, 23:00
https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyundai-runs-aero-updates-in-fafe/

On of the main reasons is off course testing while avoiding test day restrictions. Which is not even mentioned in the article.

Again we see the problem with acting more like a promotion site than "journalists". Was same at autosport though.

AnttiL
29th February 2020, 05:56
On of the main reasons is off course testing while avoiding test day restrictions. Which is not even mentioned in the article.

Again we see the problem with acting more like a promotion site than "journalists". Was same at autosport though.

In addition to extra driving of two Rally Portugal stages. At least they are skipping the new stage.

AnttiL
6th March 2020, 07:35
https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/qa-tanak-on-the-car-he-needs-for-rally-mexico/

Good Q&A with Tänak about driving the Hyundai on gravel

masa90
14th March 2020, 06:14
Horrible season so far for Hyundai. Not the fastest team, but still so many technical issues. I honestly would not be surprised if Thierry never wins the title with them. Although in 2017 it was down to him and those few crucial mistakes.

mknight
14th March 2020, 07:09
Speed is one thing, technical issues another. On top of that Tänak has been off the road 2 times in 3 rallies (while he had no crashes in at least 9 last rallies in Toyota). And finally Loeb and especially Breen did far worse that expected.

Well I was one of those saying they will win manu title before the start of the season.

EstWRC
14th March 2020, 07:19
Every team has some bad rallies during the season. This time it’s their turn.

pantealex
14th March 2020, 07:25
Every team has some bad rallies during the season. This time it’s their turn.

and Sweden was also their turn ;)
(TGR had 3 cars in Top4)

EstWRC
14th March 2020, 07:31
and Sweden was also their turn ;)
(TGR had 3 cars in Top4)

I’m talking about technical failures. They had none in Sweden.

skarderud
14th March 2020, 15:01
I think Hyundai need to build a new car before 2021, this don't work.
Let Loeb, Tänak, maybe Sordo, Mikkelsen and Paddon too, do the development work, and for god's sake, keep Neuville out of the cars development. When drivers like Loeb, Tänak, Mikkelsen etc dont get a decent grip on the car, not even the one that the car is build for is blistering fast in it, its on time to do radical changes.

Mk2 RS2000
15th March 2020, 06:00
I think Hyundai need to build a new car before 2021, this don't work.
Let Loeb, Tänak, maybe Sordo, Mikkelsen and Paddon too, do the development work, and for god's sake, keep Neuville out of the cars development. When drivers like Loeb, Tänak, Mikkelsen etc dont get a decent grip on the car, not even the one that the car is build for is blistering fast in it, its on time to do radical changes.

Yes, Get Hayden onboard quickly as aside from a very quick rally driver he is a very good development engineer and personally can build competitive cars

arx
15th March 2020, 20:36
On top of that Tänak has been off the road 2 times in 3 rallies (while he had no crashes in at least 9 last rallies in Toyota)
IRC Tänak arrived to Sweden power stage finish with damaged rear right corner. So it makes almost 3 in 3 rallies...

AnttiL
15th March 2020, 20:42
Tänak also made a small mistake in the Mexico shakedown. It's already more mistakes than he made in the two Toyota years combined :)

bluuford
15th March 2020, 21:06
IRC Tänak arrived to Sweden power stage finish with damaged rear right corner. So it makes almost 3 in 3 rallies...

It flew away in big watersplah, exiting race track ;)

ferrial
22nd March 2020, 14:26
Tänak plays an important role on improving i20 https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/neuville-getting-hyundai-development-ideas-from-tanak/

skarderud
22nd March 2020, 15:52
So a 9 time WDC wasn't enough, it was the newest WDC that got the trust to change the shitundai?
I really don't understand Adamo, he don't "trust" Paddon or Mikkelsen, obvious not Loeb or Sordo eighter, why the f..k do he trust Neuville?
His car is shit, when Tänak can change the car, probably both Mikkelsen and Paddon can be fast in it, maybe fast enough for Adamo to...
But they will never get the chance, probably.

denkimi
22nd March 2020, 16:05
So a 9 time WDC wasn't enough, it was the newest WDC that got the trust to change the shitundai?
I really don't understand Adamo, he don't "trust" Paddon or Mikkelsen, obvious not Loeb or Sordo eighter, why the f..k do he trust Neuville?
His car is shit, when Tänak can change the car, probably both Mikkelsen and Paddon can be fast in it, maybe fast enough for Adamo to...
But they will never get the change, probably.

The car is so shit neuville was the vice champion the last 4 years.

flat_right
22nd March 2020, 16:34
I wouldn’t say that the car is shit. Neuville has been there or there about for the past 3 years, when we have been using new gen cars. And in the first year, it was the fastest but mistakes from Neuville and car reliability issues prevented him winning the title. Neuville had 56 stage wins, second place had 30. So from pure speed, I would say Hyundai was the fastest. Now what Tänak is saying to them is that you have speed, but we have to make it more predictable, so you would gave full confidence for pushing on the stages and all conditions.

ferrial
22nd March 2020, 16:49
Maybe Adamo thinks that, if Neuville is fast with i20, so should others be? But this car seems to suit only for Neuville, who hasn't driven other cars than i20 in the recent years, and because of that, Neuville doesn't have much information to compare to. Hyundai has put all the cards on Neuville and others, who have problems with it, have to go?

Maybe it is also about, how the problems are brought out to Adamo - in the last interview, Adamo referred to Tänak and Neuville as the ones, who didn't whine about the car, but who just brought out the problems and offered some kind of solutions to fix them. But i think that, Paddon, Mikkelsen etc weren't also whiners and could offer proper feedback. Difficult situation.

wyler
22nd March 2020, 17:11
But they will never get the chance, probably.

not so strange. actually he's the one with the most experience on wrc+, having a real ride on 3 out of 4 (winning, btw). loeb has partial season coming from a long stop. not really a reference for the new standard, even if can still be the best driver, doesn't mean much about develop this particular spec. also ogier as the top driver of the moment couldn't do much for citroen. neuville can't know how toyota accelerates or fiesta brakes to push development where i20 fails. tanak does.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st August 2020, 20:57
New i20 WRC rear aero tested on Rally di Alba:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDWdiw9qOPv/?igshid=1eyeozieeeyx3

AnttiL
25th August 2020, 08:15
Loeb entered for Turkey! Quite interesting move as he has never been there before.

Fast Eddie WRC
25th August 2020, 09:39
Loeb entered for Turkey! Quite interesting move as he has never been there before.

Keeping Breen for Ypres. ;)

AnttiL
25th August 2020, 10:11
Keeping Breen for Ypres. ;)

I would have picked Sordo for Turkey...

pantealex
25th August 2020, 15:11

Breen for me, to get him higher in standings (road order, you know)

But I´m happy now with Loeb, maybe not so happy after rally ;)

mknight
25th August 2020, 16:30

Sordo was the clearly best pick indeed, drove it last year and is consistently fast on slow gravel.
Loeb drove fast on gravel on friday in Spain last year, but his lead was due to his performance on the tarmac stages driven with gravel tires. Before that in Portugal he was not very fast. Maybe Loeb's contract has something to do with it?

Suggesting picking Breen and risking a good result just to (possibly) get a 1-2 cars (if even that) better road position for a next tarmac rally that might not even take place is slightly insane.

All in all, until rally Australia last year Hyundai driver choices always seemed mostly logical. But since then every second rally they are head-scratching weird and not paying off either.

er88
25th August 2020, 16:43
Keeping Breen for Ypres. ;)We will probably see Breen AND Sordo in Ypres in the WRC car ;).

The championships will both most likely be decided there and for the drivers championship, having a 4th car could help Neuville/ Tanak by taking extra points off Ogier/Evans.

Loeb won't do Ypres, he has been majorly against doing Germany since his return to the championship due to running on dirty roads.

Breen - Estonia
Loeb - Turkey
Sordo - Sardinia
Breen & Sordo - Ypres.

AnttiL
28th August 2020, 12:39
https://www.rallit.fi/hyundain-wrc-konkarille-luvassa-vain-yksi-mm-ralli-onhan-se-hirvean-iso-saali/

This article says Sordo will only do Sardegna during the rest of the season, and that Breen was chosen for Ypres

mknight
28th August 2020, 14:28
One has to wonder whether it's just some contract deals or whether Sordo has fallen out of favor for some reason?

But contracts have not stopped Hyundai from kicking drivers around inn last 3 years.

Or does Hyundai feel they need to risk to match Toyota? On both last picks they choose drivers who are clearly more risky picks. Sordo is safe choice to end around 3-4 but not likely to end much higher or put pressure om someone.

Currently the character of the remaining rallies seem to favor Hyundai though. Turkey and Sardinia are definitely advantage for them. Ypres if very slippery should be also good for them, especially with Neuville. Estonia should be good for Toyota, but is certainly much worse than Finland.

AnttiL
28th August 2020, 15:31
Has he really fallen out of favour?

If this plan keeps to the end of the season, Sordo and Loeb will do two rallies, while Breen will do three. Loeb personally declined from Sweden and it's well known that Sordo is not interested in driving in fast rallies (Sweden, Estonia). Like we discussed earlier, the seat for Ypres could have been for any of those three but Breen is the previous winner of the event...

er88
28th August 2020, 15:43
As I said, if the driver championship is seriously open for Neuville/ Tanak, Hyundai will bring Sordo to Ypres as well. They might need all the help they can get

the sniper
28th August 2020, 15:51
One has to wonder whether it's just some contract deals or whether Sordo has fallen out of favor for some reason?

What's the point in having Breen on the books if you're not grooming him for a future full time seat? Both Loeb and Sordo have been around a long time, neither want to do anywhere near a full season anymore, surely neither will go on for many more years. If the tide turned back towards having full season, fully fixed driver lineups, those two would be out of the game. Might as well put Breen in the car or let him go. This season is an anomaly anyway, though admittedly the title is title.

mknight
4th September 2020, 13:39
Has he really fallen out of favour?

If this plan keeps to the end of the season, Sordo and Loeb will do two rallies, while Breen will do three. Loeb personally declined from Sweden and it's well known that Sordo is not interested in driving in fast
rallies (Sweden, Estonia). Like we discussed earlier, the seat for Ypres could have been for any of those three but Breen is the previous winner of the event...

Well that's why there is a question mark.

He was dropped from two rallies where he was one of the clearly best choices (Turkey and Ypres). While Hyundai is behind in the points and none of the other 2 is more stable in Hyundai on these rallies than Sordo. This raises the question in the first place.

As I said, if the driver championship is seriously open for Neuville/ Tanak, Hyundai will bring Sordo to Ypres as well. They might need all the help they can get

Yes that is possible, but that wont help in manu champ as he cant enter in 2nd team for manu points since he started in first team before.

What's the point in having Breen on the books if you're not grooming him for a future full time seat? Both Loeb and Sordo have been around a long time, neither want to do anywhere near a full season anymore, surely neither will go on for many more years. If the tide turned back towards having full season, fully fixed driver lineups, those two would be out of the game. Might as well put Breen in the car or let him go. This season is an anomaly anyway, though admittedly the title is title.

Breen is not in a "grooming" position at this time. I am sure you remember he "replaced" a guy which ended 2nd in his last rally in the car; a guy that had 3 podiums and 4th place in the championship in the last season ....and now for Ypres a 9 times WC and tarmac ace (not with Hyundai though) and a guy which won a rally with the car just last year and has multiple recent podiums in it.
2x 7th place with zero manu points and a crash from last manu spot is not something that is worth replacing any of those.

As for "grooming" they now have Loubet starting on most rallies, with Huttunen still a possibility even after they semi-kicked him out.

EstWRC
4th September 2020, 20:16
Hyundai Motorsport driver Craig Breen says he can see and feel Ott Tänak’s influence on the i20 Coupe WRC as he readies himself for this week’s Rally Estonia.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-tanaks-influence-on-hyundais-i20-clear/

skarderud
5th September 2020, 12:21
Interesting to see the Hyundai now, its obvious big differences from last year.

Maybe even Paddon and Mikkelsen could get it work.

AnttiL
5th September 2020, 12:57
Maybe even Paddon and Mikkelsen could get it work.

It always worked for them on gravel.

EstWRC
7th December 2020, 07:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKp6bL24os

meh
9th December 2020, 13:43
Next year line-up announced: https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/1336672985760063491

@DaniSordo and @Craig_Breen will share a third Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC during the season.
@OttTanak and @thierryneuville will contest all rounds of the 2021 season!

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/wrc-crews-confirmed-for-2021/

Fast Eddie WRC
10th December 2020, 19:38
Hyundai TV ad on Eurosport tonight showing their 2020 WRC Manu's win.

None of their N cars shown though.

Sulland
18th December 2020, 18:42
Oliver signing means being part of a large team, not sure how many germans there are in a germany based team. The Mr Adamo as boss, not being very German in spirit.
Will be cool to see Adamo and Petter in Hq under rallies, hopefully they will hit it off.
Some machanics will also feel that Petter will take an interrest both in testing and during rallies. (110%)

ohh, I am loving this, and looking forward to 21!

18th December 2020, 20:13
Hyundai isn’t german just located in there for logistics. And as for a team they don’t hire a failed driver to their team boss

EstWRC
11th January 2021, 08:22
#WRC New year, new overalls, new partner @ompracing

We present you our crew line-up for the 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣1️⃣ @OfficialWRC season

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErcIqc9XAAIfKMV?format=jpg&name=large

https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/1348556147511406592?s=20

TypeR
11th January 2021, 12:39
no more DirtFish for Tänak anymore?

meh
11th January 2021, 13:36

https://shop.dirtfish.com/taenak-army/ - something still goes on

EstWRC
12th January 2021, 08:38
blindfold challenges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XqNu0-6kEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W2hbdaBeOA&t

dimviii
15th January 2021, 13:15
https://www.wrc.com/images/redaktion/Season-2021-NEWS/WRC/January/150121_Hyundai-livery-reveal_03_4082f_frz_1400x788.jpg
https://www.wrc.com/images/redaktion/Season-2021-NEWS/WRC/January/150121_Hyundai-livery-reveal_01_87121_frz_1400x788.jpg
https://www.wrc.com/images/redaktion/Season-2021-NEWS/WRC/January/150121_Hyundai-livery-reveal_04_28aba_f_1400x788.jpg
https://www.wrc.com/images/redaktion/Season-2021-NEWS/WRC/January/150121_Hyundai-livery-reveal_05_efc42_frz_1400x788.jpg

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/first-pictures--2021-hyundai-i20-world-rally-car/

TypeR
15th January 2021, 13:26
amazing! extraordinary! #neverseenbefore

EstWRC
15th January 2021, 14:32
https://www.diariomotor.com/competicion/imagenes/2021/01/wrc_car_2020-21-comparacion-hyundai-i20-coupe-1.jpg
https://www.diariomotor.com/competicion/imagenes/2021/01/wrc_car_2020-21-comparacion-hyundai-i20-coupe-2.jpg
https://www.diariomotor.com/competicion/imagenes/2021/01/wrc_car_2020-21-comparacion-hyundai-i20-coupe-3.jpg

mknight
15th January 2021, 14:37
Funny thing about the last year pictures (left) is that the car never looked like that in a rally. It shows central exhaust which they used in all Monte tests but then homologated and tested new diffuser only and kept exhaust same place. I speculated they ran into some issues. Either with homologation or something else they found after testing (heat in places not designed for it?)

EstWRC
15th January 2021, 16:14
couple of more angles which werent posted here, small changes withe colors but since 2017 this is my favourite livery from Hyundai

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Erx4mJjXYAE2Loy?format=jpg&name=medium
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/139380055_3955147251217795_7163271090099156453_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Nf3xsuG5a8IAX_mAc2C&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=acb2045e046396fae9ddc2634422380b&oe=60282723
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/139396539_3955146811217839_8855752325837620481_n.j pg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=iBM8CZ8h2RQAX-l4ZPD&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=3806e5f2319dea9bb5ba43c4eeb118ac&oe=60282C5E

EstWRC
17th January 2021, 09:41
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Er3wFujU0AE1BSQ?format=jpg&name=medium

TypeR
17th January 2021, 12:31
a bit more and wrc car has more aero than any other CIRCUIT racing cars :D

meh
17th January 2021, 20:25

... and all this aero is mostly not used :) If small some aero parts (I don't talk about rear wing here) are missing drivers often are saying that they don't feel it. In classical Finland type of rally you need them...

EstWRC
19th January 2021, 07:31
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsCmwzrWMAE05mr?format=jpg&name=900x900

mknight
19th January 2021, 10:38

Not really, majority of these aero bits are small add-odd bits with limited effects. In circuit/formula cars you have huge "sections" with big impacts.

More importantly for example in Formula cars you have very extensive rules that govern all kinds of aero parts. Afaik on rally cars all these tiny things at the front are less limited.

... and all this aero is mostly not used :) If small some aero parts (I don't talk about rear wing here) are missing drivers often are saying that they don't feel it. In classical Finland type of rally you need them...

True, problem is that they need to design for those 3-4 rallies where it really matters (this year Arctic, Estonia, Finland, Catalunya, parts of Chile) and can't take parts off. The parts mostly add negligible weight, but they certainly do add cost when they get damaged and need to be replaced.

EstWRC
19th January 2021, 18:12
Hyundai WRC Factory Tour by dirtfish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUAyqepXKCQ

meh
21st January 2021, 06:46

https://shop.dirtfish.com/taenak-army/ - something still goes on

Well, no sponsorship sign from DirtFish on helmet anymore:
https://www.facebook.com/otttanakfanpage/posts/3527009080731469

* caroom.io seems to be some Estonian company
* Red-Grey is his co-owned company with Markko Märtin to provide Rally2/R5 service for Hyundai

EstWRC
21st January 2021, 07:17
Caroom is Martin Kangurs company , more about it here https://caroom.io/home

Dirtfish is still sponsor like i wrote in Monte thread, he is still wearing their hat and cap.

meh
21st January 2021, 07:39
Caroom is Martin Kangurs company , more about it here https://caroom.io/home

Dirtfish is still sponsor like i wrote in Monte thread, he is still wearing their hat and cap.

Thank you for extra info.

For other's information that Martin Kangur is also Estonian rally driver and often Tänak's gravel crew.

(based on Estonian media (Betsafe podcast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VfmiKArgcQ), gravel crew for Monte is Markko Märtin and Kuldar Sikk)

SPKen
25th April 2021, 16:35
Who is Hyundai's WRC Team Principal ANDREA ADAMO?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppPgW8OKigA

dimviii
28th April 2021, 16:09
Hyundai turns to Ricardo for WRC Hybrid push

https://www.racetechmag.com/2021/04/hyundai-turns-to-ricardo-for-wrc-hybrid-push/

mknight
29th April 2021, 08:19
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tanak-doesnt-feel-natural-with-hyundai-on-asphalt/

Strange that they fail to mention that he is the 3rd tarmac WRC winner with similar issues in the car.

BigWorm
29th April 2021, 08:32
Also strange that many fail to recognise that Sordo has bren rather quick with the car on asphalt. Think Tänak will come good with the car but that the blame is on Neuville is getting pretty tiresome.

EstWRC
29th April 2021, 08:53
i didnt see him blame Neuville or what do you mean? at the end of the rally i would say he said rather good about Neuville sayin that "we see that Thierry can show pace/drive with the car"

About Sordo yeah i agree, he is the second driver that can show good times with it on tarmac. Maybe Sordo and Neuville have similar driving styles and set-up? i remember in Sardegna last year when Neuville kinda struggled one morning and later he said he took Sordos set-up for the afternoon and liked it.

i would say there are some positives also to take from Croatia for Ott, saturday was the longest loop with 121kms and he lost 13.6 secs to Ogier with the whole day. On Friday he lost 15 secs alone with SS3. what i mean is that it seems they at least took some kind right direction on saturday.

AnttiL
29th April 2021, 09:32
On Friday Ott was on wrong tyres. To me it seemed it didn’t improve much during the weekend. He wasn’t bad per se, but failed to fight the top three and was occasionally even slower than Fourmaux.

AnttiL
29th April 2021, 09:34
Also strange that many fail to recognise that Sordo has bren rather quick with the car on asphalt. Think Tänak will come good with the car but that the blame is on Neuville is getting pretty tiresome.

I think Sordo has been similarly 95% quick as Tänak here. Sordo has also a relatively high number of offs on tarmac since 2017

mknight
29th April 2021, 10:19

I think Sordo has been similarly 95% quick as Tänak here. Sordo has also a relatively high number of offs on tarmac since 2017

Sordo used to be a tarmac specialist. Now since start of 2017 he has 2!!! podiums on tarmac and only one on 100% tarmac rally (second is from Catalunya). He often is somewhere around in speed and crashes yes.

I don't really see other people or myself blaming Neuville for making the car like that. Just saying that Neuville is the only one getting consistently good tarmac results/speed. What can be questioned is whether Hyundai does not prioritize to change the car cause Neuville is fast with it as it is. That isn't really Neuville's fault though.

I do not have high hopes how Tanak will suddenly make the car work to fight for wins on tarmac. Loeb didn't even with massive testing and lots of extra (non-WRC) rallies. Mikkelsen didn't (without massive testing and extra rallies).
Tanak gets extra rallies and massive testing and then comes from Croatia saying he doesn't really know what to do (article).

We have basically been having this same discussion for 3 years now! After 3 years I don't believe in sudden miracles.

One thing that is sure is that Tanak correctly identifies this as the likely main problem for his title chances this year, with 3 tarmac-only rallies coming up.

EstWRC
29th April 2021, 11:32
Tänak today to estonian media at press event

"I'm just the driver and I have the vision of how this car should drive. How it is technically possible, it is unfortunately not in my hands "

Will smaller rallies, which are not included in the World Cup calendar, can help to make the car more comfortable for you? "First of all, all the information we learnt during the rally has to be worked through. From there, we can draw conclusions and see if we can make it better to tune this car for me or not. If we don't have much to do, then the extra kilometers will not give anything, but if we have something to do, I think we will drive small rallies, "said Tänak.

AnttiL
29th April 2021, 11:55
What can be questioned is whether Hyundai does not prioritize to change the car cause Neuville is fast with it as it is.

It could be some major things in the car geometry or anything needing a big homologation update. Also remember how Citroen used to be a fast tarmac car in 2017, then they made the car better on gravel and suddenly in 2019 it wasn't a fast tarmac car anymore!

Anyway, this was my fear when Tänak joined Hyundai, he won't be able to fight for the title anymore especially on a season with this many tarmac rallies. We didn't yet get to see it last year when the calendar was so exceptional, but now there's four full tarmac rallies planned.

AnttiL
29th April 2021, 12:08
Sordo used to be a tarmac specialist. Now since start of 2017 he has 2!!! podiums on tarmac and only one on 100% tarmac rally (second is from Catalunya). He often is somewhere around in speed and crashes yes.

In Tour de Corse 2017 he was third. On three stages he was second, the rest were 4-6th positions.
In Deutschland 2017 he went off on the fourth stage. He won a couple of stages (including Panzerplatte and some of the fast countryside stages), on the rest he was mostly outside top 5. Road position had its effect, restarting on Saturday and Sunday put him behind other WRC cars but on the power stage he started earlier.
In Catalunya 2017 it was all top 5 stage times and another power stage win, except that he broke the steering (in the same place as Mikkelsen).
In Tour de Corse 2018 he was struggling with the setup and understeer, only one 5th position in stage times, the rest slower.
In Deutschland 2018 he was off the pace on all stages except Panzerplatte, where he won both the long runs and was 1st and 2nd on the short ones. Also complaining about understeer and bad feeling with the car. Crash on Sunday.
In Catalunya 2019 it was raining and Sordo seemed to be off the pace, losing even the rally lead. On Sunday he was third fastest after the Sebs.

bisak
29th April 2021, 12:13
In Croatia I carefully watched Tanak's car live in a variety of corners. I know some suspension design basics and stuff but I'm definitely no expert. I have a question for the Czech automotive engineer guy, do you think changing the roll center of a WRC car involves homologation issues?

What I noticed from watching, again I'm no expert, but I think given the slightest change of grip, dirty road, off-camber, or etc, the Hyundai immediately understeers. I feel like the roll centers, or better yet the roll axis is majorly f-ed up on this car.
Unless there's maximum grip from the tires, the car fails to get the initial grip caused by chassis roll, looks way too geometrically stiff and just skids. I guess there's someone more competent than me around here to discuss this theory.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th April 2021, 12:48
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tanak-doesnt-feel-natural-with-hyundai-on-asphalt/

Strange that they fail to mention that he is the 3rd tarmac WRC winner with similar issues in the car.

Maybe this also explains Breen's lack of pace in Croatia. A driver who loves tarmac...

AnttiL
29th April 2021, 14:22
Not on a similar level though, Breen was never super quick in the C3 WRC which was a fast tarmac car in 2017 and 2018 when he drove it. But Breen’s Croatia comments confirm the same problem, he’s not comfortable.

TypeR
29th April 2021, 15:26
Surprisingly many comments from Tänak about the car and that there is no point of extra testing if they don't find/solve the real issue..

denkimi
30th April 2021, 04:53
Perhaps hyundai should try new young drivers who have not setteled in a driving style yet.

Older, experienced drivers often seem to be less able to drive around problems. Instead relying on changes in the setup to get it right.

mknight
30th April 2021, 05:37
They started with Loubet last year and now Solberg. You could also say that switching Loeb with Breen is similar.

2 problems with that though:
- Not every young driver can be race winner / champion ( Imagine MSport saying they don't want Ogier in 2017 and going for title with Camilli (Ogier wasn't happy with the car for first 5 minths). Actually Citroen did just that, didn't get Ogier and said they didn't want Latvala or Mikkelsen going with Breen +Lefvebre instead, didn't work)

- The car is out by the end of this year, for next few years they need to make the new car suit the drivers that are available for them and that can chase for championships

AnttiL
30th April 2021, 07:31
Remember also that both Neuville and Tänak have their contracts ending this year. Maybe both want to secure the contract early in order to make sure they get to develop the new car up to their likings?

er88
30th April 2021, 15:33
Remember also that both Neuville and Tänak have their contracts ending this year. Maybe both want to secure the contract early in order to make sure they get to develop the new car up to their likings?True. Hyundai didn't let Neuville test the 17 car early as he wasn't signed up until later in 2016 . Abbring, Sordo and Paddon did the testing initially before Thierry signed.

I think we'll see Toyota and Hyundai trying to tie up some of their drivers earlier in the year - instead of leaving it later for that reason.
Hyundai wont want Tanak in the car with the possibility of him then leaving to Msport or Toyota etc with vital data

wyler
30th April 2021, 18:33
T.
Hyundai wont want Tanak in the car with the possibility of him then leaving to Msport or Toyota etc with vital data

on the other side, I would want all the good I can take from a good developer...

EstWRC
5th May 2021, 04:28
TECH GURU LORIAUX LEAVES M-SPORT FOR HYUNDAI

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tech-guru-loriaux-leaves-m-sport-for-hyundai/

sti123
5th May 2021, 06:16
TECH GURU LORIAUX LEAVES M-SPORT FOR HYUNDAI

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tech-guru-loriaux-leaves-m-sport-for-hyundai/

This is big news! Looks like Tänak will stay with Hyundai then...

MartijnS
5th May 2021, 06:51
I was surprised to read he was still at M-Sport. Didn't hear anything about him for years.

mknight
5th May 2021, 07:51
I was surprised to read he was still at M-Sport. Didn't hear anything about him for years.

Same, my impression is that he wasn't directly involved in rally car development in last 5 years at least.

Maybe he goes to a more "development manager" position.

rallyfiend
5th May 2021, 08:20
This is big news! Looks like Tänak will stay with Hyundai then...

I don't see this being a big factor.

Chris Williams has been the lead on the M-Sport rally cars for many years.

And a tech person joining Hyundai doesn't also solve Tanak's problems with the boss....

pantealex
5th May 2021, 08:41

And a tech person joining Hyundai doesn't also solve Tanak's problems with the boss....

Is M-Sport only team where he hasn´t had problems with BOSS ?

TypeR
5th May 2021, 08:46
Tänak has problems with Adamo? :O

cali
5th May 2021, 09:24
Is M-Sport only team where he hasn´t had problems with BOSS ?Oh he had problems with Malcolm as well, just it was the opposite kind of problem with Malcolm not being satisfied with him and with his performances. Haven't recalled any problems with Adamo, just quite the opposite, even in Croatia before leaving service Adamo hugged Ott and from the outside seems to be all well but it could be deceiving.

But on the other hand as mentioned here before I have heard that Ott doesn't rank the competence of the Hyundai team very highly. It just as well could be a hearsay as it has come to me through many sources in between and could be lost in translation so I haven't taken these stories very seriously though

cali
5th May 2021, 09:29

And a tech person joining Hyundai doesn't also solve Tanak's problems with the boss....Can you elaborate please?

AnttiL
5th May 2021, 09:51
It's not so straightforward when we don't know the backgrounds. Some reports say the Hyundai Rally1 car is already tested secretly, some say it will never happen, how could a main designer change anything at this point, let alone design from scratch, when the homologations should be finalized by July 1? Or is he still of help in the additional development process? I'm not familiar with the guy's work.

Francis44
5th May 2021, 10:25
Looking at the bigger picture, what if Louriaux replaces Adamo?

I suspect two big characters like them would clash easily.

sindroms
5th May 2021, 11:03
Is M-Sport only team where he hasn´t had problems with BOSS ?

No. It's in his DNS. Nothing has changed since he started as a teenager in local "Syrus Rally Team". This cooperation didn't end without disagreements let's say so, too.

cali
5th May 2021, 11:19
No. It's in his DNS. Nothing has changed since he started as a teenager in local "Syrus Rally Team". This cooperation didn't end without disagreements let's say so, too.Well to be fair the guys who teached him were often slower than him in the EVO's while he was driving a FWD Clio. But yes, stubborn person to say the least. But this is general characterisation of people from Saaremaa.

urabus-denoS2000
5th May 2021, 11:27
Well at this pace he won't have any manufacturers left

EstWRC
5th May 2021, 11:29
the Syrus thing was, how to say....

they wanted to teach him how to drive and if i remember correctly they also gave him car with old parts and then later blamed Ott for braking the parts.

this is how i at least remember it but i could be wrong, i remember on guy in EE forum telling all the things back in the day.

but its true that he is hard to work with, they say it in the movie too but i understand that the "hard" part is that he demands a lot but how it really is in the team, dunno

the fact is it doesnt look good if every team says you are hard to work with

dimviii
5th May 2021, 12:00
Looking at the bigger picture, what if Louriaux replaces Adamo?

I suspect two big characters like them would clash easily.

different positions/jobs.Not a problem imho.

Jakem
5th May 2021, 12:08
No. It's in his DNS. Nothing has changed since he started as a teenager in local "Syrus Rally Team". This cooperation didn't end without disagreements let's say so, too.
Comon, maybe he was bad boy in kinder garden also;). He is 2019 champ, only problem in Syrus and everywere before was just that he wanted to win everyting and right now, his motivation was higher than experience. Thats why he is champ.

wwbroe
5th May 2021, 12:48
different positions/jobs.Not a problem imho.

It shouldn't be a problem, remember Penasse is also working for Hyundai and he also is a big caracter.;)

MartijnS
5th May 2021, 13:18
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/loriaux-to-continue-with-m-sport-in-racing/

Despite agreeing terms with Hyundai Motorsport, Christian Loriaux will continue to work at M-Sport, focusing on the company’s racing side for two weeks out of every month. For the other half of the time, he’s the Alzenau team’s engineering consultant.

Francis44
5th May 2021, 13:54
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/loriaux-to-continue-with-m-sport-in-racing/

Despite agreeing terms with Hyundai Motorsport, Christian Loriaux will continue to work at M-Sport, focusing on the company’s racing side for two weeks out of every month. For the other half of the time, he’s the Alzenau team’s engineering consultant.

Well, even weirder.

mknight
5th May 2021, 14:33
I Some reports say the Hyundai Rally1 car is already tested secretly, some say it will never happen, how could a main designer change anything at this point, let alone design from scratch, when the homologations should be finalized by July 1?

I think the July deadline for homologation is only for the engine and nothing else.

EstWRC
6th May 2021, 08:25
Our preparations for the new 2022 WRC era have received a further boost with Thierry and Ott both signing multi-year deals to remain with our team.

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/new-deals-for-thierry-and-ott/

i guess 3rd car between Solberg, Sordo and Breen? if they will be signed of course, Sordo and Breen i mean

meh
6th May 2021, 10:13
Now we can only hope, that new car is not "only manageable by Neuville". Otherwise I'm not happy at all about this news...

TypeR
6th May 2021, 10:24
I think at the end Hyundai was basically only choice as..
-Toyota is ,,full,, and waiting what Ogier decides to do next year + Evans and Kalle won't go anywhere
-Wilson couldn't get the money for him and maybe would be a step back at the moment..?

Although it would have been interesting to watch either Neuville or Tänak in different car.

EstWRC
9th May 2021, 19:48
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E047OjIXsAYOwL_.jpg

https://twitter.com/journojason/status/1391114459280719873?s=21

mknight
10th May 2021, 09:28
"good budget, good drivers...." unlike MSport

EstWRC
27th June 2021, 11:17
catastrophic season so far

out of 6 rallies they SHOULD have won 4 but have managed only 1

BigWorm
27th June 2021, 11:34
catastrophic season so far

out of 6 rallies they SHOULD have won 4 but have managed only 1

With the right tyres they should have won Croatia too, so 5 out of 6. Instead Toyota has 5...

dimviii
6th July 2021, 16:52
Hyundai Motorsport’s logistics guru Pablo Marcos will take over from Penasse as team manager from Ypres Rally onwards.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/neuville-concerned-by-penasses-departure/

trykmann
19th July 2021, 03:37
There have been a lot of talks about Ott Tänaks misfortune with Hyundai. Anybody has not been mentioning the situation with Thierry Neuville. His last win was in Monte Carlo 2020?!?. So it has been one and a half season without any wins.

mknight
19th July 2021, 06:49
There have been a lot of talks about Ott Tänaks misfortune with Hyundai. Anybody has not been mentioning the situation with Thierry Neuville. His last win was in Monte Carlo 2020?!?. So it has been one and a half season without any wins.

That's actually really good observation!

Neuville is somehow always around there and fights for win every few rallies at least (but not every rally), but he has not actually won anything for quite long.

denkimi
19th July 2021, 07:19
Out of those last 14 rallies, 10 have been won by toyota. 6 of those were by some bloke called Sebastian.

What i feared at the end of 2019 has come true, we are back at vw levels of dominance with ogier in the toyota.

masa90
19th July 2021, 07:35
Yeah not sure if the countless tech problems Hyundai are suffering is down to them going over the line in battling with Toyota?

Luckily they atleast are in the mix. Toyota and Ogier are sadly too good, but luckily it is not as bad as Ford for example.

AnttiL
19th July 2021, 07:45
Neuville's co-driver change probably also has compromised his performance this year.

Last year he was second in Sardegna and Turkey. Car failed in Mexico whereas he made mistakes in Estonia and Monza.

Croatia was a rare case of both Tänak and Neuville finishing with no issues but Neuville being faster. (Also the first full tarmac rally for Tänak in the Hyundai).

Hopefully the fortune turns in Ypres.

EstWRC
19th July 2021, 07:53
Out of those last 14 rallies, 10 have been won by toyota. 6 of those were by some bloke called Sebastian.

What i feared at the end of 2019 has come true, we are back at vw levels of dominance with ogier in the toyota.

last year he and Evans both won 2 rallies, isnt exactly dominating?

He has always been excellent capitalizing when others have misfortunes or make mistakes, and thats exactly what he has done this year at Sardegna and Kenya and his win count is so big (well its just part of this sport and winning titles). The only technical misfortune Ogier has had in one and a half years is Turkey last year if i remember correctly.

IMO he was really dominating on VW days, won rallies even when cleaning for two days. that was completely different level what he is doing now.

mknight
19th July 2021, 08:45
What Ogier is doing now is IMO much more impressive than what he did in VW (especially in 2014-2015 when Polo was clearly best).

In Polo, also before the introduction of "anti-Ogier" two day sweeping he could push 100% for 2-3 stages and already had decent lead, no stress afterwards.

Nowadays everything is much closer. Ogier is very often 2-4th fighting with someone with better roadposition . Yet he stays cool, pushes when he can and gets points. (Rare time he didn't keep his cool was in Arctic vs Solberg).

I am quite sure he could drive faster on many stages this year, but at a higher risk of mistakes. Point gain would easily be lower.

He is a champion cause he is using his head more than others. Not because he only gains from others mistakes.

Since you mention Sardinia his first day drive was the most impressive drive so far this year to me.

focus206
19th July 2021, 09:22

There's not much to say about him, many often complained how he pushes too much and this year he isn't pushing as much, maybe he's being more cautious also because the new codriver. He made just one serious driving mistake, in Portugal. In Croatia he could have won, but Hyundai decided to lose with their tyre choice. In Kenya he could have won, but the car fell apart. Considering Hyundai was able to win only one rally this season, I don't see his situation particularly bad. Nobody can win this championship apart from Ogier anyway.

focus206
19th July 2021, 09:28
Ogier's dominance in VW was absolute, but VW was miles ahead of the other cars.
This year in Toyota, I don't see how he's being that incredibly smart. We know he's very consistent, and that is helped by the good reliability of Toyota.
I don't believe for a second Hyundai has nothing to do with all those suspension failures (among other reliability problems) and it's just Tanak and Neuville "not driving safe". Tanak is a world champion and Neuville won many events, they know how to back off, it would be an insult to their intelligence.
After all, last year it was Evans who almost won the championship, and this year Evans will probably end runner-up again: not a coincidence it's another Toyota.

denkimi
19th July 2021, 10:05
last year he and Evans both won 2 rallies, isnt exactly dominating?

Remember there were only 7 rallies last year. That still a 30% win ratio for each.

In 2013 he had a 64% win rate, in 2014 and 2015 it was 61%, in 2016 he was at 46%. Today he sits at 57% so far, that's starting to get pretty close.

For comparison, in 2017 it was 15%, in 2018 it was 30% and in 2019 it was 23%.

trykmann
20th July 2021, 08:37
I was reading some old news about the new R5 development and this comment got my attention:

“The feeling is very, very good,” he said. “It’s predictable and consistent when it comes to the roll centre and the transition of grip and weight in the corner. This sort of thing’s not going to win you a load of seconds in terms of performance, but what it does do is give you a sensation of what the car’s doing and why it’s doing it.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-breens-taken-from-the-newest-rally2-car/

I am just guessing, but this might describe also quite accurately, why a lot of drivers couldn't handle the current WRC car as they maybe wanted.

mknight
15th October 2021, 17:12
5 years since Hyundai had understreering issues in Spain...and they still have understreering issues and only Neuville can fight in the top.
2 years each for Mikkelsen, Loeb and Tanak and limited change.

It sounds quite funny when Solberg comes to end of first day and says they have to try to fix understeer....no shit.

All except Neuville looking forward to next year I guess.

mknight
21st November 2021, 18:18
Following with my month old post.

We got last rally of 2017 i20 and all drivers (maybe bare Suninen) complained about understeer on allive.

The funny thing though (as also pointed out by J. Porter) is that they all complain, yet the times weren't all that bad.

becher
21st November 2021, 20:40
Following with my month old post.

We got last rally of 2017 i20 and all drivers (maybe bare Suninen) complained about understeer on allive.

The funny thing though (as also pointed out by J. Porter) is that they all complain, yet the times weren't all that bad.

Well a car that handels/feels "bad" isn't necessarily slow. Sometimes drivers talk very fondly of uncompetitive cars because they were very balanced to drive.

Fitz
7th December 2021, 12:58
Is this the right place to post but kinda sad really.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGAWWftXwAAmUBH?format=jpg&name=medium

Sulland
7th December 2021, 13:12
Who could be taking over from Adamo?
Doe they have a candidate inhouse, or will they get one from outside?
What qualifications are important in a role like this?

Eli
7th December 2021, 13:30
In other news, https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/neuvilles-wrc-co-driver-wydaeghe-offers-injury-update/6860567/

Thierry Neuville’s World Rally Championship co-driver Martijn Wydaeghe is expecting to contest next year’s Monte Carlo Rally season opener after sustaining a shoulder injury in a testing crash last week.
Neuville and Wydaeghe were involved in a frightening crash while testing Hyundai’s all-new 2022 Rally1 hybrid challenger in France last weekend.

The i20 ran off the road, suffering heavy damage which curtailed the team’s maiden test of the car expected to be close to the final iteration that will contest the WRC’s first season of new hybrid regulations.

Paramedics treated Wydaeghe’s shoulder injury on site before he and Neuville were transferred to a hospital in Montpellier for further evaluation. Hyundai confirmed the pair was released from hospital on Saturday.

Wydaeghe has now returned home confirming he has undergone surgery on his shoulder, while also revealing the injury is expected to heal in four weeks.

The news should mean he will be fit enough to contest the Monte Carlo season opener on 20-23 January.

“Hello everyone! Just wanted to give you some news!,” read a post on Wydaeghe’s social media channels.

“I had a little surgery on my collarbone and I’m back home. All good and don’t worry I will have fully recovered in four weeks.

“Thanks you for all your kind messages of support and see you in Monte Carlo.”

This year was Wydaeghe’s first in the WRC having been plucked to replace Neuville’s long-time co-driver Nicolas Gilsoul just weeks before the Monte Carlo season opener.

The duo went on to score two WRC wins this season in Belgium and Spain to finish third in the championship standings behind Toyota's title-contending pair of Sebastien Ogier and Elfyn Evans.

Wydaeghe’s update on his injury comes on the same day Hyundai confirmed team principal Andrea Adamo will leave the team with immediate effect after six years.

Adamo’s day-to-day responsibilities will be assumed in the short-term by company president Scott Noh, with support from the respective department managers until a new appointment is announced.

EstWRC
7th December 2021, 14:23
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211207/ba75c1983c97f390f4892c9d22d03aba.jpg

macebig
7th December 2021, 17:35
Just keep Gabriele Tarquini's name. At least for the touring car arm.

Sulland
8th December 2021, 06:12
What incident where Adamo shouted to one person or several are you talking about?
Was this filmed, is there a link?

User
8th December 2021, 07:52
What incident where Adamo shouted to one person or several are you talking about?
Was this filmed, is there a link?

This one?

https://streamable.com/8ud138

From the Monza 2021 thread.

WRCStan
8th December 2021, 10:47
This one?

https://streamable.com/8ud138

From the Monza 2021 thread.

Whoever thinks this is a thing needs to go outside more.

Lancia Stratos
8th December 2021, 11:39
Whoever thinks this is a thing needs to go outside more.

There was more to it than that - but let's leave it there........

Simmi
8th December 2021, 12:29
What's with the Finnish press guys on Twitter with constantly thinly veiled remarks about the Hyundai team shutting down...

I just find it weird. If you have information, and you believe in what you're saying, write a story.

steve.mandzij
8th December 2021, 13:02
What's with the Finnish press guys on Twitter with constantly thinly veiled remarks about the Hyundai team shutting down...

I just find it weird. If you have information, and you believe in what you're saying, write a story.there's a lot of that same "i know something but I'll tell you it in riddles" going on right now on these forums...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

skarderud
8th December 2021, 13:03
But, if we play with the tought of Hyundai leaving, is it the dead end of Rally1?
Rally2 is the new topclass after a joke of a 2022 season ?

EstWRC
8th December 2021, 13:32
there's a lot of that same "i know something but I'll tell you it in riddles" going on right now on these forums...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

You really think some of us will reveal every detail here publicly?

I was laughed out here last week when I said Adamo MIGHT go, I was laughed also yesterday when I said he is gone now but it was announced an hour later.

Yet I was right.

I mean it’s fine to me and people can choose if they believe it or not.

What I find absurd here is that some guys here start to generate own rumors by the press releases yesterday and think whatever other reasons.

And Wuorela in Twitter isn’t any different at the moment.

The press releases are one thing (you can say whatever there) but the real truth is always different.

TypeR
8th December 2021, 13:53
,,I know things, but won't say them out here (although, must hint smth to make it interesting)..

If people don't have sources to check certain sayings then they can comment and ask about them.. or they have to wait until ,,someone from the inside'' comes up with another ,,I know'' or ,,might be'' thing..?

seb_sh
8th December 2021, 15:27
Most of those posts by "journalists" (actually hacks because they neither know anything nor can they write, all they are good at is clickbait) is noise to draw attention and fill empty space. And same with this forum, some people here actually know, most can't say and then you have varying degrees of responses by varying degrees of people. After a while you know how to read a post depending on who wrote it.

Also after Hyundai withdraws Neuville will rent Fiesta WRC17 from Malcolm, you heard it here first, I also know what Ott will drive but won't say yet.

Steve Boyd
8th December 2021, 23:45
I also know what Ott will drive but won't say yet.
MS-RT Fiat Panda?

WRCStan
9th December 2021, 02:34
Most of those posts by "journalists" (actually hacks because they neither know anything nor can they write, all they are good at is clickbait) is noise to draw attention and fill empty space. And same with this forum, some people here actually know, most can't say and then you have varying degrees of responses by varying degrees of people. After a while you know how to read a post depending on who wrote it.

Also after Hyundai withdraws Neuville will rent Fiesta WRC17 from Malcolm, you heard it here first, I also know what Ott will drive but won't say yet.

With your final remark you have both helped explain why that first paragraph happens and become a part of it. It's not a negative situation like you make it sound. There's no cookies for being correct, first or being in the loop and knowing for a fact that somebody is wrong.

I've not been here long enough to know who you are. Even if you are Thierry, this is a public forum. I'm going to poke your idea and ask why would he be in a WRC assuming Hyundai are footing the bill?

Fast Eddie WRC
9th December 2021, 08:45
Can one of you guys in the know explain why you can't say... why is it so secret or sensitive ?

AnttiL
9th December 2021, 09:08
Dirtfish's podcast says that when Adamo became the team boss, he made the decision to handle all media by himself. He told everyone in the team not to say anything to journalists, and that decision remained until the end.

I would say that's a very Adamo kind of way of working, often it felt like he was playing a game with media, especially with Dirtfish.

Compare that to Toyota where you have a group of leaders or M-Sport where the leadership is split between Millener and Wilson.

seb_sh
9th December 2021, 09:13
With your final remark you have both helped explain why that first paragraph happens and become a part of it. It's not a negative situation like you make it sound. There's no cookies for being correct, first or being in the loop and knowing for a fact that somebody is wrong.

I've not been here long enough to know who you are. Even if you are Thierry, this is a public forum. I'm going to poke your idea and ask why would he be in a WRC assuming Hyundai are footing the bill?

I am nobody important, all i know is what i read here and other places and use my brain to fill in the gaps. The WRC17 Fiesta thing is a joke i started to say since Wuorela said on twitter that Hyundai/Tanak is retiring. I suppose it doesn't come across as joking/sarcasm as well on text.

AnttiL
9th December 2021, 09:17
When you tell enough rumors, sometimes you end up predicting correctly :)

To me seb_sh's sarcasm was clear

er88
9th December 2021, 10:22
Is that Wuorela chap still banging his Tanak retirement drum?

cali
9th December 2021, 10:50
Is that Wuorela chap still banging his Tanak retirement drum?Yep, and Hyundai leaving also

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Allez Andruet
9th December 2021, 17:30
Yep, and Hyundai leaving also

For the past six months or so his main input on commentating the current WRC scene has been about 1) how hybrids were a terrible call from the FIA, 2) how driver X will call it a day before the next rally or the next season and 3) how Hyundai is going to pull the plug. I guess he's going to keep the same tune till one of the predictions eventually materialize, doesn't matter when.

dimviii
11th December 2021, 08:24
A few days after the departure of Andréa Adamo and a few days after her impressive test outing, Thierry Neuville looks back for us on this rather heckled start of the offseason ... But nothing to dampen his morale.

Thierry how have you lived these last days?

We're in the development phase of the new car and we're all very busy. The last few days have been a little more intense than expected following the accident on our last practice session which made things difficult for the team. But we are moving forward, we know that we have a little work left but everyone is working very, hard to continue our development program.

The context is particular, Andrea Adamo is leaving the team. Was this a decision that surprised you?

We were all surprised at the speed of the change. It’s a personal choice, for personal reasons. It is a choice that we fully respect, I fully support him in his decision. There are priorities, sometimes things more important than the job and we can only thank him for these fantastic few years that we spent together. Andrea was a very loyal person, a hard worker, a reliable man, and that’s what we all appreciated about him. I had a good and strong relationship with him, we could laugh together but we worked really hard together too. A yes was a yes, a no was a no, he kept his commitments. It was also a bit like our father, he checked in every day to see how we were doing. It showed his desire to do a job well, to push the team forward, to create a good spirit.

The period is important, there is this new car and then the Monte Carlo which is fast approaching. In terms of timing, isn't this the best time to be without a boss?

It's not ideal, that's clear. But all is not going to stop, the team is well established, well structured. All people have their responsibilities. Everyone is well aware of the work to be done.

What is the profile of the new boss for you?

I don't know, it must be close to what Andrea was doing. After all, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and we have to adapt. The priority is to focus on our goal and develop the car for the next year. The search for Andrea's replacement has arguably already started and the people involved are looking after it.
"The new car saved us"

Thierry, a word on the accident, you scared us when we see the images of this car dislocated at the bottom of a ravine, in the river. It was a big crash.

Yes it was a big crash. We pulled straight into a bend and no luck for us, there was a 30-meter ravine. We had a big fall. The new car saved us, the new crash cell did its job very well and that's why we got away with almost no injuries. Cars have never been so safe, we are on a new concept with a double main arch, larger tubes in terms of diameter and size. It is clear that in terms of safety we are making a big leap forward thanks to the work and continuous research of the FIA. This is a big positive, we also saw it with the Elfyn Evans accident. As for us, the security cell did its job.

Any news from Martijn, your co-pilot, who had a collarbone injury, will he be by your side in Monte Carlo?

Yes quite. He is recovering and will be ready in 4 weeks

You got out, Evans got out, does that mean that these new WRCs are perfectly complicated to tame?

Today the cars are not yet ready. We are in full development. It's clear that sometimes we get surprised, we hit the limit and that's what we work on, we want to push the boundaries and make it a more competitive car. It is part of our job to develop, to give our feedback. Every now and then there are surprises that you wouldn't expect because the car is in the early stages of development. We will have to wait a bit before they are as successful as the cars with which we have just completed 5 seasons.

In the case of our outing, we were surprised by the behavior of the car. We have our references from the last seasons and there is necessarily a gap with a brand new car.

This outing is not helping the team's business, how does it complicate the work of the team?

There is a little more work for the guys, you have to build a new car. But we remain on our initial development plan. We resume testing early next week and then it will soon be preparation in the South for Monte C

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/moteurs/rallye/wrc/detail_wrc-thierry-neuville-ces-derniers-jours-sont-un-peu-plus-intenses-mais-on-va-de-l-avant?id=10895607

Fast Eddie WRC
14th December 2021, 08:15
"Team Solberg"

It all started in Safari Rally in Kenya. It went wrong, and Oliver crashed the car. The boss was pissed off. He threw down the phone and said: "Here we are investing in the youth" ironically. Honestly, I told him he could not go on like that.

He continues:
- After the crash, Oliver was in meetings with the team and came back completely shaken. All this is on film. I watched one episode the other day, and it all came together. It's totally sick. I have been involved in a lot since I started driving in 1999, but this is on a new level, says dad Solberg.

https://www.dagbladet.no/sport/sonnen-skjelt-ut---helt-sjukt/74889194

TypeR
14th December 2021, 08:39
Where/how can it be seen outside Norway?

,,Team Solberg'' episodes

mknight
14th December 2021, 10:57
"Team Solberg"

It all started in Safari Rally in Kenya. It went wrong, and Oliver crashed the car. The boss was pissed off. He threw down the phone and said: "Here we are investing in the youth" ironically. Honestly, I told him he could not go on like that.

He continues:
- After the crash, Oliver was in meetings with the team and came back completely shaken. All this is on film. I watched one episode the other day, and it all came together. It's totally sick. I have been involved in a lot since I started driving in 1999, but this is on a new level, says dad Solberg.

https://www.dagbladet.no/sport/sonnen-skjelt-ut---helt-sjukt/74889194

I saw it yesterday, it says "one of the bosses". So either Penasse or Adamo (anyone else?).

The crash happened on 25.6 (but he also had crash in first pass of SD on 24.6.), Penasse was announced to leave Hyundai on 24.6. It is also not that clear what crash the article refers to.

Note that after Safari Adamo was quoted as saying that Solberg will only drive Rally2 for rest of the year, but two rallies and two crashes later he was announced for WRC in Spain.
So if anything he was getting pushed more later in the season.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th December 2021, 13:13
I saw it yesterday, it says "one of the bosses". So either Penasse or Adamo (anyone else?).

The crash happened on 25.6 (but he also had crash in first pass of SD on 24.6.), Penasse was announced to leave Hyundai on 24.6. It is also not that clear what crash the article refers to.

Note that after Safari Adamo was quoted as saying that Solberg will only drive Rally2 for rest of the year, but two rallies and two crashes later he was announced for WRC in Spain.
So if anything he was getting pushed more later in the season.

Must've been Adamo.

Penasse left after the decision on contractors came from Korea:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/alain-penasse-to-leave-hyundai-after-estonia/

Andre Oliveira
14th December 2021, 13:44
“ Further development potential for the i20 N Rally1 is now restricted by the FIA’s homologation process, which DirtFish understands got underway on Tuesday.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/neuville-will-return-to-rally1-testing-on-wednesday/

mknight
14th December 2021, 14:51
Must've been Adamo.

Penasse left after the decision on contractors came from Korea:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/alain-penasse-to-leave-hyundai-after-estonia/

Adamo seems like Solbergs biggest fanboy and has kicked drivers around before for nothing. So doesn't line up with him being the angry one.

If Penasse was told to leave right before he would have less issues and restraints on being vocal.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th December 2021, 15:12
Adamo seems like Solbergs biggest fanboy and has kicked drivers around before for nothing. So doesn't line up with him being the angry one.

If Penasse was told to leave right before he would have less issues and restraints on being vocal.

Or less reason to be that bothered about Solberg crashing...

It was Adamo.

SubaruNorway
14th December 2021, 16:20

It was Adamo, and what's in the media is only a small part of it, all will be revealed one day I'm sure.
Some people inside the WRC has gone as far as calling him a psychopath...

er88
14th December 2021, 16:55
Agree Adamo had his flaws, but on the flip side maybe it isn't ideal having Peter and the media train so involved with following Olivers every move.

Sometimes drivers might need a kick up the arse and a proper grilling - it's about knowing what is right for the individual. McRae needed that approach sometimes, whereas if anyone hammered Latvala you knew you'd ruin him mentally. Oliver Solberg changed his approach in his next starts in a WRC car so maybe Adamo was correct to lay into him? (although maybe still was a bit OTT at the same time)

You see it in football nowadays, the younger generation find it hard to stomach harsh criticism or the "hairdryer" treatment. Oliver is the type of character who absolutely loves rallying and you can see the enjoyment he gets, but when you get chances at a top team stakes change. Maybe he needed a little reality check.
Whatever Adamo was like in regards to the safari offs it didn't have a negative effect on Oliver when he got back into the WRC car in Spain or Monza.

mknight
14th December 2021, 16:57
How does that lineup with him seemingly pushing Solberg in the main team?

Was he acting like bipolar with best buddies and hate switching every few days?
Or someone else (or contract/money) was pushing Solberg in?

(I noticed that during Solberg's testing in Greece the man rumored to replace Adamo was there)

er88
14th December 2021, 17:47
How does that lineup with him seemingly pushing Solberg in the main team?

Was he acting like bipolar with best buddies and hate switching every few days?
Or someone else (or contract/money) was pushing Solberg in?

(I noticed that during Solberg's testing in Greece the man rumored to replace Adamo was there)Again I'm not sure, just providing a counter argument if it was Adamo who came down very hard on Oliver.

Sometimes you come down hard on those you believe in most, if you know the individual can handle it.

SubaruNorway
14th December 2021, 19:28
One thing is coming down hard on someone, another is acting like you're in a Godfather movie.

SubaruNorway
14th December 2021, 19:53
Where/how can it be seen outside Norway?

,,Team Solberg'' episodes

https://www.discoveryplus.com/no/video/team-solberg/sesong-1-episode-1

mknight
14th December 2021, 21:40
One thing is coming down hard on someone, another is acting like you're in a Godfather movie.

Maybe more like a Tarantino movie? ;) In Godfather 1-2-3 there rarely was any shouting. If there was a problem a guy was send and then the problem disappeared.

SubaruNorway
14th December 2021, 22:17
Maybe more like a Tarantino movie? ;) In Godfather 1-2-3 there rarely was any shouting. If there was a problem a guy was send and then the problem disappeared.

Haven't actually seen them. Any knives...?

WRCStan
14th December 2021, 22:39

"He sleeps with the DirtFishes"

dimviii
15th December 2021, 11:45
Any knives...?

really?

Franky
15th December 2021, 13:55
really?

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

mknight
15th December 2021, 15:59
Haven't actually seen them.
Heresy!
1 and 2 should be obligatory for anyone. Think that number 2 was voted the best sequel ever, topping one of the best movies ever with an even better one. 3 feels a bit like a repeat though.

Mirek
15th December 2021, 18:17
Heresy!
1 and 2 should be obligatory for anyone. Think that number 2 was voted the best sequel ever, topping one of the best movies ever with an even better one. 3 feels a bit like a repeat though.

Sorry for off-topic. The reason why the 3rd part is not on par with the first two (still good though) is that unlike the first two parts it doesn't follow the original book of Mario Puzzo and it's also made more than 15 years after the first two. Even though Puzzo contributed on the script for the third part himself it remained a sort of unneeded addition to a phenomenal piece of art.

erikli2
23rd December 2021, 11:43
Oliver said in an interview yesterday that Adamo kicked Petter out from the team earlier this season, but now that Adamo is gone Petter will join and support Oliver again.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th December 2021, 11:08
Hyundai 'miracle' got them back on track...

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/how-a-miracle-saved-hyundais-rally1-monte-preparations/

EstWRC
30th December 2021, 08:08
Promo clip where we can see the livery a little bit but it can be for just promotional reasons and not actual one

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYGefEQvKsN/?utm_medium=copy_link

Andre Oliveira
30th December 2021, 08:23
Our hopes on great livery… again in M-Sport.

EstWRC
30th December 2021, 08:23
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211230/919e77933baf5d94a51047d3cac0e058.jpg

wwbroe
30th December 2021, 09:13
http://fb.watch/adeQxjh4_h/

TypeR
30th December 2021, 09:59
Looks like a WDC winning car :)

Fast Eddie WRC
30th December 2021, 17:26
Adamo presented with a gift from Hyundai...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYHMENqjf75hQVOLkM0c4Jh6CSW3_jp0vSAMok0/?utm_medium=copy_link

"We wish you every success with your business."

EstWRC
10th January 2022, 08:06
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271712593_5067983739934135_51778048588537023_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=jLIDH-ExrQgAX8fYyV0&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT-v59B0aRFQ_qSefve_R0p_cG7aqhuEku4vMg-CsK739Q&oe=61E06F44
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271669686_5067981433267699_3492822713586366338_n.j pg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7cm3e0sE1s4AX8JPxvt&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT9JSVFhLUEuo3yYLLhdUYc79lXeFb8jVCOxNGRr1Uva OA&oe=61E0DC2D
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271644352_5067983776600798_6778993275526350527_n.j pg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=QIDDcbjdzQcAX8g_pRh&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT-qbyAZNwXsYjRplWUOuup_rO-ghPZoR9JaKoSNDOzZ1w&oe=61E143D1
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271586275_5067983909934118_4867367765131207882_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=RZOunq9oa4QAX_FkOul&_nc_oc=AQnMh6fwTM5MAGf4U2vBGahPRkqkPz2Nuij0FcU87MA wIVppwGNJFBVkiQ8EZLDtMhk&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT80Opz1U5UGtjPYVNKkT9U-FGA0S62PzH5hfj2nHiWBFA&oe=61DFF902
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271653385_5067983619934147_1552032373228576824_n.j pg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=gAwS3JBJGHsAX-PXRNC&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT_vAWUMWds_Rg13_b6ySg4pxso4Lfkft965QwDs5KWm sg&oe=61E0A43A
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271554074_5067983966600779_2015650823470492227_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=GQ4VmfxBK_8AX9I8qP6&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT--TZc0s6aBHzhL1Sc_7o4KMjXuz9yAzEcoliazoSalkQ&oe=61E00E27
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271630740_5067983669934142_2103365665173373489_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=A1sXcw2_GYMAX99eOeB&tn=uVUduZHSP3KZQ4GT&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT-ja_BLL2VKkvSfDiFaoFZ5tbJ-zBor2kYAoo0fqGuDeQ&oe=61E11E99
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271551421_5067984399934069_7251066387228426298_n.j pg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Qz385e-l5BEAX-92B33&tn=uVUduZHSP3KZQ4GT&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=00_AT9Smd3GHee9WeYtZiflyhQsu_HtmuV-CciW34Nd0ZlrQw&oe=61E022C8

EstWRC
10th January 2022, 08:07
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIlrOTLXIAM1psX?format=jpg&name=medium

rallyfiend
10th January 2022, 08:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIl1bthXoAcstCk?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIl1btkWYAEwxLF?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIl1bthWYAQMQHz?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIl1btjXIAEPFkr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Not exactly revolutionary in design....

Bit disappointing

TypeR
10th January 2022, 08:13
Sadly quite disappointing livery.. from distance pretty hard to tell if it's a new car old old one..

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2022, 08:15
HYundai, but no advert for their HYbrid ...

EstWRC
10th January 2022, 08:27
Short vid presentation https://www.instagram.com/p/CYizP04vjoj/?utm_medium=copy_link

wyler
10th January 2022, 08:49
HYundai, but no advert for their HYbrid ...

the main change is about the electronic circuitry texture, so...

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2022, 08:53
the main change is about the electronic circuitry texture, so...

Much too subtle.

Maybe Hyundai dont want to shout 'Hyundai Hybrid' as they've already moved to full EV road cars...

WRC1
10th January 2022, 08:57
so they use almost the same OLD Design.....do they have at least a NEW Boss??

spyros
10th January 2022, 09:00
bit disappointed but dont think Toyota's will be better.........

Gonek
10th January 2022, 09:06
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/hyundai-becomes-first-wrc-team-to-launch-2022-rally1-car/7166125/amp/

AndyRAC
10th January 2022, 09:11
A new set of regs was a perfect opportunity to have a new livery & image. But, no, it's virtually the same......Pretty boring, and uninspiring...... C+ - Could do better!

rallyfiend
10th January 2022, 09:17
The press release mentions Julien Moncet as 'Deputy Team Principal'.

Deputy to whom....?

EstWRC
10th January 2022, 09:41
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIu-IAWWQAInhb4?format=jpg&name=large

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2022, 09:53
At least I can 'drive' the i20 in my old rally games and it looks nearly the same... ;)

flat_right
10th January 2022, 09:54
The press release mentions Julien Moncet as 'Deputy Team Principal'.

Deputy to whom....?

In Autosport article it is "Hyundai president Scott Noh, acting as an interim team principal"

I think it is still very unclear.

Danny0405
10th January 2022, 10:08
In Autosport article it is "Hyundai president Scott Noh, acting as an interim team principal"

I think it is still very unclear.

And do not forget
Thierry Neuville, 5-time deputy world champion
Ott Tanak, 2019 interim world champion

:D

More seriously, what a mess in this team; we can only hope Loriaux makes the job for the technical part of the car because in the other case, a Hyundai exit in 2023 or 2024 is a real possibility.

EstWRC
10th January 2022, 10:22
Short vid presentation https://www.instagram.com/p/CYizP04vjoj/?utm_medium=copy_link

Better clip on YouTube now https://youtu.be/fWpfqGSw8kk

Kenneth
10th January 2022, 10:40
Looks better than last year imo and does good job with hiding that ugly rear bumper, but still disappointing.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2022, 11:47
The big Shell logo over the 'electric circuit board' design doesnt give much prominence to the hybrid element.

Overall I guess they had more important things to work on than an all-new livery...

AnttiL
10th January 2022, 11:55
Overall I guess they had more important things to work on than an all-new livery...

So the graphic designer doubles as an engineer or vice versa?

We're dealing with big brands like Toyota Gazoo and Hyundai Motorsport. Their image is carefully designed and and they are present in multiple disciplines, so it cannot change constantly. We're used to liveries changing for a rally team quickly with a new main sponsor, but it doesn't happen that much anymore. And in the end, the car manufacturers are the biggest sponsors for their respective teams. And M-Sport doesn't have so strict brand colors so they can spice it up every year, and they know they're getting popularity points by doing that.

bwallace
10th January 2022, 12:11
does hyundai have new bos for the team ? :DD

EstWRC
10th January 2022, 13:07
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIvvAX9XoAAmp8f?format=jpg&name=medium

TypeR
10th January 2022, 13:12
Old car is like without bumper..

new car has ,,Kardashian'' type rear :D
https://i.ibb.co/P4RbbG9/IMG-20220110-160035.jpg