PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai WRT

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

mknight
15th December 2018, 22:14
Spanish site speculation..
Sordo is not "logical" best choice for Monte by any means. He was never as good there as on dry tarmac and even this year Mikkelsen had same speed as him before the alternator issue and was fastest on saturday while Sordo crashed and cost Hyundai manu points.

On Corsica I agree Sordo would be better choice, but we are not talking about Corsica yet.
The stuff about Sweden looks like complete speculation as well given the info that got trough.

The rest 2/3 talk about how Loebs contract limits Sordo, which is indeed true.

AnttiL
16th December 2018, 20:39
This guy on twitter says that Loeb's program is MC, Sweden, Corsica, Chile, Catalunya and Wales https://twitter.com/F_Gustavsson/status/1074319640602570754

Norm75
16th December 2018, 20:51
If Andreas did that... 2019 is last season on Hyundai for sure.

If he did force his contract on certain events that clash with Loeb/Sordo, would it not be in Hyundai's best interest to run four cars on those events and not nominate Andreas for manu points?

Tarmop
16th December 2018, 20:55
Interesting contract Hyundai has made in that case. Especially when you look how other two drivers with a full season contract were treated.

er88
16th December 2018, 21:06
They're going to have to run 4 cars aren't they? No way Sordo doesn't do Spain and other tarmac rallies or you're not going to get the best out of him.

Mikkelsen should just accept he has to sit out some events, he had a shocking year and it isn't like he's going to win the championship next season either. Sit out a few events and keep the team onside. If he's bent them over by getting his lawyers involved to force them to run him for a full season, then this is his last season at Hyundai imo - even if he has a decent year.

doubled1978
16th December 2018, 21:55
They're going to have to run 4 cars aren't they? No way Sordo doesn't do Spain and other tarmac rallies or you're not going to get the best out of him.

Mikkelsen should just accept he has to sit out some events, he had a shocking year and it isn't like he's going to win the championship next season either. Sit out a few events and keep the team onside. If he's bent them over by getting his lawyers involved to force them to run him for a full season, then this is his last season at Hyundai imo - even if he has a decent year.

There is no way he will sit out events voluntarily, why should he "accept" it? Because some fans think so?
If he performs this year, make no mistake Hyundai will want to keep him as he would be an asset. The contracts usually have performance clauses in them and I'm guessing Mikkelsen was able to argue that he would have met those had the car been reliable, if indeed he really has had to fight legally to retain his full season.

If the guy on twitter is right about the 6 events, I have to say I am a little surprised as Corsica and Spain are two of Dani's better events and he will do Finland, although was that the 1 event they offered Paddon? Maybe they can convince Loeb to add that one.

mknight
16th December 2018, 22:43
This guy on twitter says that Loeb's program is MC, Sweden, Corsica, Chile, Catalunya and Wales https://twitter.com/F_Gustavsson/status/1074319640602570754

Hutunen in Finland, Sordo sits out Corsica and 4 cars in Spain or Mikkelsen out for that rally (depending on how he does on tarmac in Corsica/Germany).
That's my guess if this is true.

Allez Andruet
17th December 2018, 05:36
There is no way he will sit out events voluntarily, why should he "accept" it? Because some fans think so?
Because his team managers think so? Ok, we don't really know what's happening at Hyundai at the moment and is this even a relevant question regarding Mikkelsen, but generally speaking it usually isn't the best of ideas to go against your own team. The consequences of doing so probably reflect through the whole community, not only within the team in question.

mknight
17th December 2018, 06:50
This is no sunday club. All teams are very professional and both kick "loyal" drivers even when they have decent results (Paddon, Østberg, Haninen... Loeb right now) and hire drivers kicked by other teams even though they directly disobeyed their team (Meeke, Lappi).

skarderud
17th December 2018, 06:51
From a sporting point of wiew, Mikkelsen do the only right thing. Everyone knows that he can challenge neuville for a WDC if the stuff work properly.
If he have a bad season again, he's probably looking for an other team next year anyway.

What happens in Hyundai these days, we'll never now, but someone in the leaderboard whants some payback from the investments, thats for sure.

I really don't belive in neuville to be the right one to be the No.1 in the team, two years in the row he has litterally missed the open goal. One thing is if he hasn't bragged about in front, but when he says that he has 80% WDC in his pocket, and both times don't deliver, he litterally shit on his own legs.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Grundo Farb
17th December 2018, 07:10
From a sporting point of wiew, Mikkelsen do the only right thing. Everyone knows that he can challenge neuville for a WDC if the stuff work properly.
If he have a bad season again, he's probably looking for an other team next year anyway.

What happens in Hyundai these days, we'll never now, but someone in the leaderboard whants some payback from the investments, thats for sure.

I really don't belive in neuville to be the right one to be the No.1 in the team, two years in the row he has litterally missed the open goal. One thing is if he hasn't bragged about in front, but when he says that he has 80% WDC in his pocket, and both times don't deliver, he litterally shit on his own legs.

A colourful image!

I don't think Mikkelsen can challenge anyone for WDC so not quite everyone thinks that. I do totally agree with you about Neuville, he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Either way, they way their leadership has behaved (not celebrating Paddons 2nd in Australia) and subsequent u-turn on signing him means I definitely won't be supporting them this year and hope they fail dismally.

Go Ott!

Allez Andruet
17th December 2018, 07:36
Everyone knows that he can challenge neuville for a WDC if the stuff work properly.

I most definitely don't know that.

pantealex
17th December 2018, 08:50
skarderud is from Norway, just like Mikkelsen.

skarderud
17th December 2018, 09:42
skarderud is from Norway, just like Mikkelsen.And?

Do you really think he can beat ogier in same car if he is a useless driver?

rp
17th December 2018, 09:56
And?

How many times this happened? Not so many...

dupanton
17th December 2018, 09:59
And?

Neuville has been 2nd in the WRC 4 times. Mikkelsen got 3th in WRC at highest, and that with the fastest car at that moment (no doubt about that).
Mikkelsen has never challenged Ogier for the title.

Rallyper
17th December 2018, 10:07
Interesting contract Hyundai has made in that case. Especially when you look how other two drivers with a full season contract were treated.

I guess Even Management has better lawyers. 100% covered contract is the good result for him, making him able to act like this to Hyundai management.

Allez Andruet
17th December 2018, 10:17

No-one's saying he's a useless driver. The point was that he's unlikely to challenge Neuville or anyone else for the WDC title. Geez, when did it become so black and white that either you're the champ or a useless driver?

AnttiL
17th December 2018, 10:22
Mikkelsen came into the team pushing two contracted drivers into half seasons. He knew the team does that and made sure it won’t happen to him as well

sturlabr
17th December 2018, 10:42
Lawyers or no lawyers, in the end IT looks to me Mikkelsen did have a very good contract. Good for him.

What interesst me The most after Loebs arrival is what he can influence and do with The cars setup and future upgrades. With a car better suited to all drivers especially paddon and Mikkelsen they would have fought for more podiums. Probably we would not had this discussion. On paper neuville, Mikkelsen and Paddon should have been a super team based on what they have shown earlier years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deephouse
17th December 2018, 10:43
Guys look at the dates of WRC 2019 and World RX 2019. If this is real planned events for Loeb than he will miss only one round in rallycross. And that's is Belgium because of Chile. If he would drive any other event than Chile than every other events on calendar clashes with others. It's not that hard to find out that he may be in two series at the same time. It's quite logical. With GRX practically best privateer in rallycross they have a huge chance of the title now.

denkimi
17th December 2018, 11:03
Everyone knows that he can challenge neuville for a WDC if the stuff work properly.

No, we don't. I never saw mikkelsen as more than an ostberg who happened to drive the best car for a few years.
Loeb, ogier, neuville, meeke, tanak, ... all got where they are due to their talent, mikkelsen got where he is because of his daddy's money.
He's not bad, perhaps in the right team and the right car he might be champion one day. but he will never be as good as ogier, and probably not even as good as neuville.

Neuville fucked up in 2017, that should have been his championship. He was the fastest car/driver combination that year. Only his own mistakes kept him from taking the title.

But in 2018, i don't think there was that much he has done wrong. The car was lagging behind in lots of rally's.

AnttiL
17th December 2018, 11:14
But in 2018, i don't think there was that much he has done wrong. The car was lagging behind in lots of rally's.

So was Ogier's car as well. But Neuville screwed up bad in Wales, he could have fought for the win rally without going to the ditch. And then he screwed up by ramming the chicane in Australia and had to start first on the road for the rest of the rally and finally crashed on the last day. He also crashed in Finland but even removing that timeloss woudln't put him up any positions, or it wouldn't have probably even changed the Saturday road order.

skarderud
17th December 2018, 11:23
No, we don't. I never saw mikkelsen as more than an ostberg who happened to drive the best car for a few years.
Loeb, ogier, neuville, meeke, tanak, ... all got where they are due to their talent, mikkelsen got where he is because of his daddy's money.
He's not bad, perhaps in the right team and the right car he might be champion one day. but he will never be as good as ogier, and probably not even as good as neuville.

No, Mikkelsen is not there by his dads money, he lost most of it in the finacial crisis in 2008, and Mikkelsen was out of rallying. Veiby/Even managment startet basically because of Mikkelsen had a talent, but no money.
Of course he had showed something before, so Veiby was avare of him.

Allez Andruet
17th December 2018, 11:26
So was Ogier's car as well. But Neuville screwed up bad in Wales, he could have fought for the win rally without going to the ditch. And then he screwed up by ramming the chicane in Australia and had to start first on the road for the rest of the rally and finally crashed on the last day. He also crashed in Finland but even removing that timeloss woudln't put him up any positions, or it wouldn't have probably even changed the Saturday road order.

Yep, I think the whole championship battle was almost more about Neuville losing it than Ogier winning it. And on top of that, Neuville - in my opinion - was extremely lucky with his off in Finland.

skarderud
17th December 2018, 11:27
No-one's saying he's a useless driver. The point was that he's unlikely to challenge Neuville or anyone else for the WDC title. Geez, when did it become so black and white that either you're the champ or a useless driver?Well, it sounds a tad different sometimes i must say;)

I think he is on par with neuville, at least.
Hopefully things will change quite early in 2019, so he can show what he is capable of.

Allez Andruet
17th December 2018, 11:29
I never saw mikkelsen as more than an ostberg who happened to drive the best car for a few years.

Well said, always thought the same. And by that I don't mean to downplay anything Mikkelsen has done. Let's just say that he's been lucky compared to many others.

Allez Andruet
17th December 2018, 11:30
I think he is on par with neuville, at least.

I don't think the statistics quite agree with you on that one...

T16
17th December 2018, 11:31
Lawyers or no lawyers, in the end IT looks to me Mikkelsen did have a very good contract. Good for him.

What interesst me The most after Loebs arrival is what he can influence and do with The cars setup and future upgrades. With a car better suited to all drivers especially paddon and Mikkelsen they would have fought for more podiums. Probably we would not had this discussion. On paper neuville, Mikkelsen and Paddon should have been a super team based on what they have shown earlier years.

I think I'm more surprised than anything that Hyundai don't have a performance clause in his contract.

dupanton
17th December 2018, 11:39
And then he screwed up by ramming the chicane in Australia and had to start first on the road for the rest of the rally and finally crashed on the last day.

He first had a puncture, than hit the chicane. You could hear them talking about the puncture (Neuville asked Nicolas if they had 2 punctures) a few seconds before they arrive at that chicane.
And on Sunday, it was all or nothing, didn't loose it there.

He lost it with the mechanical faillure in Turkey.

Tarmop
17th December 2018, 11:40
No, Mikkelsen is not there by his dads money, he lost most of it in the finacial crisis in 2008, and Mikkelsen was out of rallying. Veiby/Even managment startet basically because of Mikkelsen had a talent, but no money.
Of course he had showed something before, so Veiby was avare of him.

Sent fra min SM-
rG950F via Tapatalk

He started driving in a WRC when he was 16, has since driven with all the generations and different makes, one of them has been the best car of its era and yet he has nothing to boast with. Neuville is far ahead. He is a good 3rd or even 2. driver, but this season he failed being both.

mknight
17th December 2018, 12:14
I think I'm more surprised than anything that Hyundai don't have a performance clause in his contract.
They can have, but "performance" and results can be defined quite differently.
He dropped due to car issues that were not his fault 4x times this year from 2x 1st, 1x 3rd and 1x 4th place. Specially the drop from 40s lead and almost certain win in Turkey due to mechanics missing some bolts should be easy to use in any arguments.

Similar stuff was happening to Sordo and Paddon on just about every other rally in 2017. So wouldn't be surprised if the people writing Mikkelsen's contract were very carefull in wording it.

Norm75
17th December 2018, 17:07
He first had a puncture, than hit the chicane. You could hear them talking about the puncture (Neuville asked Nicolas if they had 2 punctures) a few seconds before they arrive at that chicane.
And on Sunday, it was all or nothing, didn't loose it there.

He lost it with the mechanical faillure in Turkey.

I don't see how anyone can say a driver lost the wdc through one mechanical failure against three fuckups. Or one fuck up for that matter.
A mechanical failure a driver can not help, putting a car into a ditch is down to the driver.

AnttiL
18th December 2018, 11:37
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/140717/no-solution-to-loeb-tight-monte-preparations

Loeb cannot test before the weekend before Monte Carlo recce starts

Allez Andruet
18th December 2018, 12:25
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/140717/no-solution-to-loeb-tight-monte-preparations

Loeb cannot test before the weekend before Monte Carlo recce starts

That's one heck of a schedule he has for January...

T16
18th December 2018, 13:08
That's one heck of a schedule he has for January...

If he has a delay which looks likely to hinder his chances of victory on the Dakar, he'll be out of there like a shot.

Duvel
18th December 2018, 17:47
I think he did not fuck up untill he had problem in Turkey (wich we can not blame on Neuville).
If you look at results and pace the whole year Neuville was the only one always up there. In the beginning of the season al went easy to be top 3, end of season he had to push it to the limits to much to keep up whit top 3.

I personally feel the car started 2018 as the best, but in the end was third maybe even fourth fastest.
Whitout Turkey points lost third and fourth places in remaining rounds would have been enough for wdc.

I hope the team has done there work to improve the car on the short off season. Loeb coming in the team wil be very good for them on that part in 2019

Allez Andruet
18th December 2018, 18:19
I think he did not fuck up untill he had problem in Turkey (wich we can not blame on Neuville).
If you look at results and pace the whole year Neuville was the only one always up there. In the beginning of the season al went easy to be top 3, end of season he had to push it to the limits to much to keep up whit top 3.

I personally feel the car started 2018 as the best, but in the end was third maybe even fourth fastest.
Whitout Turkey points lost third and fourth places in remaining rounds would have been enough for wdc.

Isn't that a bit "selective" to put the blame on what happened in Turkey? One French guy also screwed up in Turkey, was 23 points behind Neuville after that rally, but still managed to beat Thierry 65 to 24 on the remaining events. Ogier sure would have the same (or even better) reasons for losing.

Tarmop
18th December 2018, 18:27
Well, RMC isn`t really an indicator, which of the for cars is the best. Sweden wasn`t also, because of road position, otherwise it would have been Tänak again (speed-wise and SS win wise it was). Mexico looked like M-Sport with Ogier have risen and are gone go their way...repeated it in Corsica. Argentina was again Toyota`s to take and... Personally like i have said, the cars, with some exceptions (Hyundai in Finland for example), are equal. You take one driver, he is unbeatable and then you look at his teammate...his is far behind, in worst case scenario, the slowest of the lot.

Allez Andruet
18th December 2018, 18:32
Personally like i have said, the cars, with some exceptions (Hyundai in Finland for example), are equal.
...or if not exactly equal, atleast they're so close to each other, that it's not the deciding factor. I think the best of the best (say Ogier, Tänak, Neuville) would be right there in the mix, whatever the machinery.

deephouse
18th December 2018, 20:28
If Evans will stay out of job the right thing to do would be if Ogier could give him something. He practically gave him a load of points and risking his future because of some guys ego.

Allez Andruet
18th December 2018, 20:35
If Evans will stay out of job the right thing to do would be if Ogier could give him something.

Some candy? A hug maybe?

T16
18th December 2018, 20:45
If Evans will stay out of job the right thing to do would be if Ogier could give him something. He practically gave him a load of points and risking his future because of some guys ego.

It’s not even half past nine in the UK and you are high on crack.
I guess it is the festive season.

Zeakiwi
19th December 2018, 00:15
Scenario - nearing the end of 2019 season - if one or more of the 2019 Hyundai rally driving team has been scoring inconsistently during the year, yet Hyundai are still in with a chance of gaining the manufacturer's title, do they add a fourth car for the later rounds with both Sordo and Loeb? or another driver?
Going by how their 2018 season ended.

mknight
19th December 2018, 06:00
No.
- 3/4 of the drivers or more in all teams "score incosistently", Tänak did that as well with multiple wins then 3x out. Sordo too with good points the crash out in Germany. Latvala's first half of the season is the definition of inconsistency.

- Don't think they are so keen on 4 drivers after Portugal this year where the 2 nominated drivers dropped due to crash (Paddon) and car issues (Mikkelsen) and Sordo ending 4th was pretty pointless for them

- Looking at this season they lost manu title due to issues that had little to do with drivers (2 cars out from 1st place in Turkey due to faults by mechanics, all 3 cars out of pace with bad setup in GB on friday), the pace of the 2 fastest cars on each rally was actually quite close to each other in second part of season

Tarmop
19th December 2018, 08:42
And how many were they offered by others? Portugal-Ogier and Tänak out, though there Neuville used his chance, Tänak out due to the same issue 4 times, from first or podium position. Tyre in RACC, still ahead of Mikkelsen...Wales, Neuville making a mistake etc. If they see the chance, then for sure they will go for a 4. car (when they can`t ditch Mikkelsen or Sordo or who ever on that round for example), because others are just as hungry.

Barreis
23rd December 2018, 15:40
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140785
hyundai, Mikkelsen and 2018

AnttiL
23rd December 2018, 15:54
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140785
hyundai, Mikkelsen and 2018

Will have full season

Andre Oliveira
23rd December 2018, 16:10
"Yes, all 14."

"It was a very easy decision because we have the contract and we want to respect the contract."

Grutz
23rd December 2018, 20:44
After reading that article about Mikkelsen and Hyundai, it appears to me that he did get legal advice on his contract to ensure he still had a 14 round season in 2019. Unless he has an amazing season he will not be in Hyundai in 2020.

racerx1979
23rd December 2018, 20:54
Paddon back in 2020... unless they find another rising star who is killing it. Shame to be honest...

I hope Andreas comes out guns blazing. A 5-10 place result and more "car" issues won't keep him on the team for 2020.

Zeakiwi
24th December 2018, 00:03
Paddon back in 2020... unless they find another rising star who is killing it. Shame to be honest...

I hope Andreas comes out guns blazing. A 5-10 place result and more "car" issues won't keep him on the team for 2020.

Ever consider there may not be a 2020 hyundai world rally team if they pull the plug and issue the usual ' hyundai needs the money for ev development (especially with VW going to release the ID etc) and hyundai just running an r5 cars department or similar)

racerx1979
24th December 2018, 03:10
Might happen, but it's not the plan considering Nueville signed for 3 yrs.

mknight
24th December 2018, 07:13
Still there are people suggesting "loyalty" keeps you in a factory seat. Even right after Paddon got dropped/offered 1 rally after being "loyal".

sollitt
24th December 2018, 09:22
Still there are people suggesting "loyalty" keeps you in a factory seat. Even right after Paddon got dropped/offered 1 rally after being "loyal".
You're correct of course, loyalty counts for nothing. Neither it seems does performing or ability with this Hyundai team.

Rallyper
24th December 2018, 09:31
Mikkelsen at Hyundai in 2019 is only because of his contract. Else we´d have Paddon in the team for 14 rounds. (My speculation)

deephouse
24th December 2018, 12:14
Or all three rotating i mean 4

nafpaktos
24th December 2018, 14:03
From http://www.sebastienloeb.com

" Hello everyone,

from South Africa and the end of the Rallycross World Championship with Peugeot Sport, the days were quite hectic, as you have certainly been able to follow. Since the announcement of my signature with Hyundai for the next two years, I took a little time to breathe and I take this moment to write to you.

I place a lot of importance on your comments or messages on social networks, including, even if I can not answer. I understand that some people were surprised when we left with Daniel from the PSA group. This group with which, Citroën Sport then Citroën Racing and finally Peugeot Sport, we have shared everything since our debut. It's clearly a family, our family. We have experienced so many beautiful things together, whether in Rally, WTCC, Pikes Peak, Dakar or Rallycross.

Two months ago, before the announcement of the withdrawal of Peugeot Sport, I had absolutely no question about the future. After Spain and our victory with Citroën, I still did not know what I was going to do but I did not imagine it would be our last race together ...

Unfortunately, whether at Peugeot or Citroën, we have not managed to find the beautiful equation. And me, for my part, I absolutely did not want to stop driving at a high level. I had to think quickly to bounce back. I have been approached by several builders, in different disciplines. However, our three races in WRC in 2018, including the victory in Spain, weighed in the balance. The rally is my DNA and I took so much pleasure in these three events that my priority quickly became the rally, in main program.

Hyundai's proposal, with 6 rallies as pilot number 2 or 3, pleased me. And we advanced in the discussions. I had other contacts in the WRC but deep in me, I was convinced of the project "Hyundai" and I did not want to waste time on others.

For a very long time, I'm in the skin of the 'number 1' or at least, I fight to get the victory. Even when I discovered the Dakar or Rallycross, the goal was to be ahead. There, with Hyundai, my first mission will be to help them get the constructors title and support Thierry Neuville, the number 1 driver. The team's speech is clear and I'm fine with it.

I still stopped the rally for more than 5 years, I no longer have the pace of current drivers nor the knowledge of rallies in general. It's already great that a manufacturer like Hyundai trust me despite these parameters. I willingly accept this position number 2 or 3 and ride with less pressure, to please me, and in order to bring them points when I'm starting a rally.

This does not mean that I lost my soul as a competitor. Once the helmet on the head, I would give everything to make the best possible result, as I have always done, but the approach is different.

And then, for the Monte Carlo, it will still be very special: in addition to riding with a new manufacturer for the first time in my career in WRC, to discover a new team, new people, to discover this new course, we will only be able to do a day of testing to discover the car, the day before the reconnaissance. For the most 'hard' rally of the season, it's not ideal. I hope you will be indulgent to me!

It will be a total discovery, and in the conditions of a 'Monte Carlo', the challenge is quite big anyway. We will go crescendo with Daniel. Even if we are the type to quickly adapt, there is the beefy. We will do our best for the team. It will be a bit the same music in Sweden, where I have not driven for a very long time and where I have never excelled. I said I was thirsty for challenges, I will not be disappointed at the beginning of the season with the Dakar, Monte Carlo and Sweden!

Before talking about the Dakar, do you all wonder what I will do in addition to the rally? Just imagine me too! We have not started discussions with Hyundai yet. I've read our WRC program all over the place, and I'm not even aware of it ... Monte Carlo and Sweden are the only official events for the moment. We should be in Corsica too. For the rest, nothing is recorded. But it is sure that 6 rallies, between January and October or November, it will leave time and it would be interesting to keep in touch with the competition and the pace. We will talk about it soon but they are present in different disciplines and I hope that opportunities will arise.

To return to my next deadline, the Dakar, we were able to do some tests last week. We did not drive very much. Like the Monte Carlo, I will arrive on the Dakar with a day of tests. This is how we go without pressure and we will find our bearings during the early stages by avoiding to 'tank' in the sand. My biggest lack lies in the reading of the field. I saw him again during the tests. It takes a lot of experience to get to the right place, not to be had and stay stuck. I think I will go for a ride in the desert in the next days in SSV to improve again before flying to Peru.

But before that, I wish you a happy New Year and you will meet again in 2019 for a season that looks pretty exciting!

Seb »

steve.mandzij
24th December 2018, 16:20
From http://www.sebastienloeb.com

" Hello everyone,

from South Africa and the end of the Rallycross World Championship with Peugeot Sport, the days were quite hectic, as you have certainly been able to follow. Since the announcement of my signature with Hyundai for the next two years, I took a little time to breathe and I take this moment to write to you.

I place a lot of importance on your comments or messages on social networks, including, even if I can not answer. I understand that some people were surprised when we left with Daniel from the PSA group. This group with which, Citroën Sport then Citroën Racing and finally Peugeot Sport, we have shared everything since our debut. It's clearly a family, our family. We have experienced so many beautiful things together, whether in Rally, WTCC, Pikes Peak, Dakar or Rallycross.

Two months ago, before the announcement of the withdrawal of Peugeot Sport, I had absolutely no question about the future. After Spain and our victory with Citroën, I still did not know what I was going to do but I did not imagine it would be our last race together ...

Unfortunately, whether at Peugeot or Citroën, we have not managed to find the beautiful equation. And me, for my part, I absolutely did not want to stop driving at a high level. I had to think quickly to bounce back. I have been approached by several builders, in different disciplines. However, our three races in WRC in 2018, including the victory in Spain, weighed in the balance. The rally is my DNA and I took so much pleasure in these three events that my priority quickly became the rally, in main program.

Hyundai's proposal, with 6 rallies as pilot number 2 or 3, pleased me. And we advanced in the discussions. I had other contacts in the WRC but deep in me, I was convinced of the project "Hyundai" and I did not want to waste time on others.

For a very long time, I'm in the skin of the 'number 1' or at least, I fight to get the victory. Even when I discovered the Dakar or Rallycross, the goal was to be ahead. There, with Hyundai, my first mission will be to help them get the constructors title and support Thierry Neuville, the number 1 driver. The team's speech is clear and I'm fine with it.

I still stopped the rally for more than 5 years, I no longer have the pace of current drivers nor the knowledge of rallies in general. It's already great that a manufacturer like Hyundai trust me despite these parameters. I willingly accept this position number 2 or 3 and ride with less pressure, to please me, and in order to bring them points when I'm starting a rally.

This does not mean that I lost my soul as a competitor. Once the helmet on the head, I would give everything to make the best possible result, as I have always done, but the approach is different.

And then, for the Monte Carlo, it will still be very special: in addition to riding with a new manufacturer for the first time in my career in WRC, to discover a new team, new people, to discover this new course, we will only be able to do a day of testing to discover the car, the day before the reconnaissance. For the most 'hard' rally of the season, it's not ideal. I hope you will be indulgent to me!

It will be a total discovery, and in the conditions of a 'Monte Carlo', the challenge is quite big anyway. We will go crescendo with Daniel. Even if we are the type to quickly adapt, there is the beefy. We will do our best for the team. It will be a bit the same music in Sweden, where I have not driven for a very long time and where I have never excelled. I said I was thirsty for challenges, I will not be disappointed at the beginning of the season with the Dakar, Monte Carlo and Sweden!

Before talking about the Dakar, do you all wonder what I will do in addition to the rally? Just imagine me too! We have not started discussions with Hyundai yet. I've read our WRC program all over the place, and I'm not even aware of it ... Monte Carlo and Sweden are the only official events for the moment. We should be in Corsica too. For the rest, nothing is recorded. But it is sure that 6 rallies, between January and October or November, it will leave time and it would be interesting to keep in touch with the competition and the pace. We will talk about it soon but they are present in different disciplines and I hope that opportunities will arise.

To return to my next deadline, the Dakar, we were able to do some tests last week. We did not drive very much. Like the Monte Carlo, I will arrive on the Dakar with a day of tests. This is how we go without pressure and we will find our bearings during the early stages by avoiding to 'tank' in the sand. My biggest lack lies in the reading of the field. I saw him again during the tests. It takes a lot of experience to get to the right place, not to be had and stay stuck. I think I will go for a ride in the desert in the next days in SSV to improve again before flying to Peru.

But before that, I wish you a happy New Year and you will meet again in 2019 for a season that looks pretty exciting!

Seb »So modest, saying he's never excelled in Sweden :D

dimviii
24th December 2018, 16:35
So modest, saying he's never excelled in Sweden :D

what a strange guy,he didnt moan about start position.

able1
24th December 2018, 19:17
what a strange guy,he didnt moan about start position.

Maybe running a fever or smthing.. or one moner per team allowed ;)

dimviii
24th December 2018, 22:22
In the wake of the announcement of the arrival of Sébastien Loeb at Hyundai Motorsport for six WRC 2019 events, the Korean manufacturer's focus is on the preparations for the next season, which will start at the end of January at the Monte Rally. -Carlo.
A test that Loeb will tackle with very little running, in the wake of his Dakar participation on a Peugeot 3008 DKR operated by the PH Sport structure. But the presence of the nine-time world champion can bring only the most according to Thierry Neuville.
"We are three drivers to have the same feelings, the same comments, told us the vice-world champion 2018. If now Sebastien Loeb arrives more and abounds in this direction, we will be four. If we can not convince our technicians to change things, then they have to ask questions. "
The Belgian also specifies to have immediately "supported" the recruitment of French, achieved in priority to win the crown Manufacturers, eagerly desired by the entity based in Alzenau in Germany.

"It's been a while since I knew there were contacts. They were discussing it, he had tried the car ... When I was confronted with the question internally, I was immediately for! It can only be good.
From the moment he does not do all the championship, he will be there to help us in the fight for the Constructors title, but also for the Drivers. For the latter, it is impossible to claim by not competing 14 rallies.
It's a welcome extra help. I am delighted and if, with his contribution, we can get even closer to the titles and why not pick them up, that would be the ideal scenario. And it's better to have it with you than against you! "
Discover our complete decryption of the arrival of Sébastien Loeb at Hyundai Motorsport, in AUTOhebdo # 2196, which remains available in digital format and still on newsstands this week.

https://www.autohebdo.fr/wrc/actualites/neuville-tout-de-suite-ete-pour-l-arrivee-de-loeb-chez-hyundai-199936.html

René
25th December 2018, 07:18
Last year at this time, Neuvile said " Loeb, not sure he could keep up with the pace" :)

deephouse
25th December 2018, 09:23
"If now Sebastien Loeb arrives more and abounds in this direction, we will be four. If we can not convince our technicians to change things, then they have to ask questions."

Interesting thing that he say, maybe Paddon was only that was pushing for changes and that's why he was dropped despite loyalty...

Myrvold
26th December 2018, 18:24
"If now Sebastien Loeb arrives more and abounds in this direction, we will be four. If we can not convince our technicians to change things, then they have to ask questions."

Interesting thing that he say, maybe Paddon was only that was pushing for changes and that's why he was dropped despite loyalty...

It sounds weird if Paddon would be the only one, and not Mikkelsen as well.

Zeakiwi
26th December 2018, 21:25
Before spain 2018
"WRC Crew Notes: Mikkelsen/Jæger (#4 Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC)
• Strong performances in Turkey and Wales Rally GB unrewarded for Norwegians
• Improved feeling in the i20 Coupe WRC bodes well for Spain

Mikkelsen said: “We have made important steps in the past few rallies, which have not really been reflected in our overall results. The feeling and rhythm I have had with the i20 Coupe WRC has allowed me to pick up stage wins and to fight at the top end of the field. This is greatly encouraging. Rally Spain could be good for us. I feel that we have made some improvements on tarmac in preparation for this event. We have to see if all our homework pays off. It will be a crucial rally for the championship, so we have to be on top of our game.”

janvanvurpa
27th December 2018, 02:04
Last year at this time, Neuvile said " Loeb, not sure he could keep up with the pace" :)

Reality has a way of pointing out our errors....Even to a Belge. (and if you look at my name you'll see you know what I am talking about for I too have the Belge blood in my veins---along with the traditionally very thick skull....)

deephouse
27th December 2018, 05:16
It sounds weird if Paddon would be the only one, and not Mikkelsen as well.

I'm just guessing, since Neville said that they are four now. Maybe Mikkelsen is quiet and play by other strings, I don't know.

sollitt
27th December 2018, 05:48
I'm just guessing, since Neville said that they are four now. Maybe Mikkelsen is quiet and play by other strings, I don't know.

Something may be lost in translation here. Is it the suggestion that all drivers other than Paddon were happy with the car and only he was pushing for set up changes? And that is why he was dropped? If so, which I doubt, that is beyond crazy. Paddon is renowned for his technical know-how and is credited with the transmission changes which made the car drive-able. The theory is simply nonsense.

mknight
27th December 2018, 09:37
It's 100% clear that 2 of those 3 are Neuville and Mikkelsen.
Neuville was the one answering the interview. Mikkelsen has terrible tarmac pace, has been vocal about struggling with the car on tarmac whole year and is buddy with Neuville.

The quotes by Zeakiwi are tanken out of context. They are from before Spain when Hyundai made the only changes to the car on tarmac for the whole year (according to Mikkelsen this was 8 months after he asked for some changes).

The 3rd one can be either Paddon or Sordo. If it's about the car in general Paddon is more likely, if it's about tarmac it can be Sordo as well. (and since Neuville seemingly doesn't get well along with Paddon it is more likely he would mention Sordo)

The conspiracy theories some people here try to spin around are truly amazing. Specially since 1 month ago numerous NZ people here were pointing out how loyal Paddon is not complaining about the car while Mikkelsen does it often.

mknight
27th December 2018, 09:42
Something may be lost in translation here. Is it the suggestion that all drivers other than Paddon were happy with the car and only he was pushing for set up changes?
Neuville says 3 drivers including him agree on something that some technicians don't agree on.

Note that he does not say some driver does not agree. Might even mean that he means all 3 drivers currently in the team or all 3 drivers that drove the car on tarmac this year.

denkimi
27th December 2018, 10:47
well clearly something was wrong with the way the car had to be driven to be fast.

sturlabr
28th December 2018, 07:55
I also read it as the 3 current drivers in the team, Paddon not included in the 3.

doubled1978
28th December 2018, 17:57
I understand that he meant that the 3 drivers currently in the team were complaining about the car, and if Loeb says the same it will be 4. I'm not sure why the team seem reluctant to change the car, they only have to go and stand out on the stages and watch it on dry tarmac and they would surely see the same as the rest of us.

racerx1979
28th December 2018, 19:32
Doubled 1978 is on the money. Nueville is saying they have complained to the engineers and the engineers do not believe them. If the almighty (Loeb) also complains then the engineers will listen. This is the exact scenario which took place with Citroen and the gang. When the almighty speaks... people listen.

denkimi
28th December 2018, 23:39
if the engineers don't listen to their star driver neuville who has done 7 season, or to sordo who has done 12, why would they listen to loeb?

i doubt that the engineers not listening really is the case, but if it is actually true they all should be fired on the spot.

N.O.T
29th December 2018, 00:19
I think the main problem with the hyundai is the very fragile component between the seat and the wheel... i mean a component that breaks while having a 25+ point lead and just fails on superspecials while leading by a safe margin is unacceptable for any professional team... my suggestion to the hyundai team is to get rid of that component as soon as possible we already have a natural born loser in latvala in the sport.

denkimi
29th December 2018, 10:45
I think the main problem with the hyundai is the very fragile component between the seat and the wheel... i mean a component that breaks while having a 25+ point lead and just fails on superspecials while leading by a safe margin is unacceptable for any professional team... my suggestion to the hyundai team is to get rid of that component as soon as possible we already have a natural born loser in latvala in the sport.
the problem is that there is no better alternative for that component. they had twice the chance to hire ogier, but they failed.

Barreis
29th December 2018, 14:05

word. yeah, they signed a new three year deal with component

dupanton
29th December 2018, 14:26
Reality is that there is only 1 driver who did better last 5-6 years. Neuville has been 2nd behind Ogier in the championship 4 times.
If you continue that way of thinking, you need to sack everybody but Ogier?

Rally Power
29th December 2018, 16:06
Yep, Neuville is a great driver but if he’s really complaining about the i20 development it’s a shame to be talking to the press (just like Meeke did in Citroen); internal issues should be discussed in house, not in public.

Anyway, it seems he has understood that Loeb will be there mainly to help Hyundai getting the manus title; next year even Neuville may have to put the team interests above his personal targets.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th December 2018, 18:25
Manufacturer's will be the priority for sure. They need a Title for all the money they've put in so far.

Neuville's best two chances have gone.

T16
29th December 2018, 18:50
Reality is that there is only 1 driver who did better last 5-6 years. Neuville has been 2nd behind Ogier in the championship 4 times.
If you continue that way of thinking, you need to sack everybody but Ogier?

The difference is, overall, Ogier hasn't had the best car without the biggest budget behind him for the last two years and he's beaten Neuville.
If he was in the Hyundai, he probably would have had it home and dry in that car too... whereas Neuville just can't stitch it together.
2019 will be different, as Tanak will be the man with the target on his back... if they can get the superglue to set on the Toyota, he will be untouchable.

dupanton
30th December 2018, 16:16
The difference is, overall, Ogier hasn't had the best car without the biggest budget behind him for the last two years and he's beaten Neuville.
If he was in the Hyundai, he probably would have had it home and dry in that car too... whereas Neuville just can't stitch it together.
2019 will be different, as Tanak will be the man with the target on his back... if they can get the superglue to set on the Toyota, he will be untouchable.

I agree that Ogier was better than Neuville previous seasons. But Mikkelsen, Sordo, Latvala, Lappi, Evans, Suninen, Meeke, Ostberg, Breen... weren't.

dodge33cymru
31st December 2018, 09:56
I agree that Ogier was better than Neuville previous seasons. But Mikkelsen, Sordo, Latvala, Lappi, Evans, Suninen, Meeke, Ostberg, Breen... weren't.

+1

Some people have a strange way of mocking the people who come 2nd sometimes, rather than seeing them as doing better than everyone bar the winner. In all sports. Crucially, would you say that Neuville is one of the most likely 3 drivers to challenge Ogier and claim WRC wins (and get Hyundai publicity)? If so, then it's completely correct that Hyundai back him 100%.

Anyway, he's there next year, let's see how he does.

Allez Andruet
31st December 2018, 10:06
Some people have a strange way of mocking the people who come 2nd sometimes, rather than seeing them as doing better than everyone bar the winner. In all sports.

That's unfortunately the way some people see things nowadays. And as you said, in all sports (let alone politics...). Either you win or you're nothing.

stefanvv
31st December 2018, 11:58
Some people have a strange way of mocking the people who come 2nd sometimes, rather than seeing them as doing better than everyone bar the winner.

I think they call it trolling, along with the frustration Ogier always wins - the frustration is then forwarded against the challenger.

T16
31st December 2018, 12:33
I think they call it trolling, along with the frustration Ogier always wins - the frustration is then forwarded against the challenger.

If you’re referring to my post, then how on earth can you say I’m trolling?
I just basically said Ogier did a better job (or Neuville did a worse job, whichever way you look at it) when he had less resources at his disposal.
I’ve got nothing at all against any of the drivers, don’t have favourites (saying that, I like Latvala’s disposition and cheeriness) but I can’t help thinking that Neuville just didn’t have what it took to rise to the (very) top over the last couple of years.... especially given the money they’ve thrown at the job.

stefanvv
31st December 2018, 16:54
If you’re referring to my post, then how on earth can you say I’m trolling?

Not Yours, I meant the previous trolling one.

T16
31st December 2018, 18:06
Not Yours, I meant the previous trolling one.

Oops.. sorry pal, I thought what you posted was linked to what I wrote... my fault I got it wrong..

All the best.

stefanvv
31st December 2018, 18:25
Oops.. sorry pal, I thought what you posted was linked to what I wrote... my fault I got it wrong..

All the best.

NP;), there is no mistake if we say the trolls will cheer for the latter if he managed to do it.

sindroms
2nd January 2019, 08:41
@HMSGOfficial
Following Following @HMSGOfficial
More
We have announced a change to our senior management for the forthcoming @OfficialWRC season with Team Principal Michel Nandan departing the company after six years. #HMSGOfficial #WRC

Hyundai Motorsport extends its sincerest thanks to Michel for his significant contribution to the team’s growth and development over the past six years, and we wish him all the best for the future.

Andrea Adamo will take on the new role of Team Director, heading up our WRC activities with immediate effect, in addition to his existing duties with the i20 R5 and i30 N TCR programs.

Rally Hokkaido
2nd January 2019, 08:51
Nothing against M. Nandan but, as Team Manager, he had to take responsibility for the failure of the team to win the 2018 title. One can add all the "ifs" and "buts" they like, but I'm 100% sure that is how the Hyundai management saw it.

BobJones
2nd January 2019, 11:31
Adamo is now seriously busy. But he's responsible for making the Hyundai TCR car the best on the market and world cup winners.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd January 2019, 11:51
This was probably inevitable after no title wins when they had their best chances.

The new man has an even tougher job.

mknight
2nd January 2019, 12:15
Well from the outside it seems relatively inevitable.
In 2017 they had the best car, didn't win any titles due to
- driver errors (Neuville, not directly Nandans fault),
- reliability issues,
- performance issues in Finland and Spain
- Paddon struggling (two are Nandans fault, 3rd partly).

This is ok for one season, the big issue is that in 2018 they also loose both titles for almost same reasons:
- reliability issues, both parts and mechanic related
- performance issues in Finland and now all tarmac rounds
- Mikkelsen struggling
So the only part that really improved was Neuville making less mistakes. Other things were same or worse.

rallyfiend
2nd January 2019, 12:23
I suspect that the difference of job titles between the out-going and in-coming means that perhaps Andreas hasn't been the only one to fight being shifted, since it's been well-known that Nandan was leaving for some time (I noted quite a while ago he was a 'no show' when the entire Hyundai Motorsport staff (over 140 people!) was flown to Korea for an end of season trip....

One wonders if Adamo will just have this role for a certain amount of time until a full replacement can be hired after they serve their notice period at another employer...

Step up FX? Shift over Sven? How about a new challenge, Jost?

cali
2nd January 2019, 12:31
Please, no Capito. I still have nightmares about him in rallying...

Barreis
2nd January 2019, 15:43
it's normal that without results, you would be sacked. the only one in rally world who wasn't sacked despite numerous mistakes is J-M Latvala. but that is another story :P

deephouse
2nd January 2019, 18:26
it's normal that without results, you would be sacked. the only one in rally world who wasn't sacked despite numerous mistakes is J-M Latvala. but that is another story :P

He have a hot wife

Allez Andruet
2nd January 2019, 18:33
He have a hot wife

They're engaged, to be precise.

T16
2nd January 2019, 19:34
He have a hot wife

What an odd thing to say.

What point are you trying to make?

dimviii
2nd January 2019, 19:53
Interesting comment from Robert Reid about Nandan
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsJD4E3Akn9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=le8vciaxe92o

Barreis
2nd January 2019, 20:43
well, Neuville sacked him with his drives. Mikkelsen also

mknight
2nd January 2019, 23:05
From R. Reid:

I always got on fine with Michel but did get the impression that Drivers in general were maybe a necessary evil to him and sometimes got in the way of the technical solutions. I’m guessing a bit now but having an engineer as Team Principle maybe doesn’t prioritise the areas of the team where the biggest gains can come from – the management and motivation of the drivers...

well prepared and confident driver can perform miracles…

In context of Neuville's last interview it's rather telling.

stefanvv
2nd January 2019, 23:17
In context of Neuville's last interview it's rather telling.

We don't have it as a Bible. Care to elaborate?

KiwiWRCfan
3rd January 2019, 01:22
We don't have it as a Bible. Care to elaborate?

Neuville comments in Autohebdo

But the presence of the nine-time world champion can bring only the most according to Thierry Neuville.
"We are three drivers to have the same feelings, the same comments, told us the vice-world champion 2018. If now Sebastien Loeb arrives more and abounds in this direction, we will be four. If we can not convince our technicians to change things, then they have to ask questions. "
https://www.autohebdo.fr/wrc/actualites/neuville-tout-de-suite-ete-pour-l-arrivee-de-loeb-chez-hyundai-199936.html

br21
3rd January 2019, 07:05
Adamo is also engineer...

Mirek
3rd January 2019, 12:28
This is an old quote of Nandan from late 206 WRC times (I read it in Czech so please pardon my translation into English):

The drivers are those who confirm the correct choice of changes not those who select them. You can see the result yourself. With that I don't want to say that the driver is not important for the development. It's always great to have a good driver who goes always flat out and mainly all the time with same style.

I think that many of us remember what followed shortly after this - the 307 WRC disaster. For sure Nandan brought many revolutionary technical solutions into the world of rally such as the 206 WRC with longitudinal gearbox mounted on the transversal engine but I myslef as an engineer (in different field) feel that we tend to think that we know best and in a sport which is mainly about driver's confidence there shall be someone keeping the engineer's minds on reasonable level so that the drivers stay first. Let's remmember that another engineer Willy Rampf from VW always told in his interview that the first and foremost was how the drivers felt the car.

sindroms
3rd January 2019, 14:20
This is an old quote of Nandan from late 206 WRC times (I read it in Czech so please pardon my translation into English):
The drivers are those who confirm the correct choice of changes not those who select them. You can see the result yourself. With that I don't want to say that the driver is not important for the development. It's always great to have a good driver who goes always flat out and mainly all the time with same style.

Finally the last piece of my puzzle are in place! All season I had a feeling that Huyndai could be/is most powerful, solid car in WRC and after visiting Finland WRC that feeling became only stronger. When I was asked from my fellows about Huyndai my answer always was - they are struggling with setups. I wrote it down to "four different drivers - four different setups" but this one above made a click for me.

SubaruNorway
3rd January 2019, 16:15
Let's remmember that another engineer Willy Rampf from VW always told in his interview that the first and foremost was how the drivers felt the car.

That's what made the VW team so good, from what i heard they all ran similar setups with Ogier usually just a little higher and most of the time they only had to change the high speed

Rally Power
3rd January 2019, 17:58
What about Penasse? As team manager since day one, for sure he’s also responsible for some of the Hyundai troubles, especialy concerning drivers choices (like signing Mikkelesen or missing to hire Ogier). Btw, fingers crossed for Adamo.

deephouse
3rd January 2019, 18:09
If they don't want Ogier behind the wheel why still making it like that is mistake? Mikkelsen was free at that time. Both Sordo and Paddon had many troubles in 2017 and with Mikkelsen's pace he showed to the world in a Skoda, Citroen and Hyundai that time was a brilliant choice. I don't know what then went down with him in 2018. But one thing everytime driver needs to prove they drive brilliantly and when they get a long term deal they fall back. And they said it publicily if Mikkelsen will be bad at Monte they will reconsider his season. So everypone is still open, even Paddon could still be in the game. Remember in the 3/4 of 2017 they announce they will take Mikk in the team and then Padd and Sor will share a car. So nothing is for sure right there at their team. Even Neuville could become driver number two if Loeb will win few races (I'm sure he will be hungry for another title if he will have a chance).

Allez Andruet
3rd January 2019, 18:23
Even Neuville could become driver number two if Loeb will win few races (I'm sure he will be hungry for another title if he will have a chance).

And how about good old Grönholm then? He could grab his third title if he drives and wins in Sweden and then decides to do the rest of the season!

Barreis
3rd January 2019, 18:40
you should share those drugs with the rest of us :D

deephouse
3rd January 2019, 19:57
Stop being so obsessed with Gronholm and his participating. If he would be in Sweden we would already know.

Allez Andruet
3rd January 2019, 20:07
Stop being so obsessed with Gronholm and his participating. If he would be in Sweden we would already know.

I obviously failed with my previous message.

EstWRC
4th January 2019, 09:03
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwDgZqyWkAAOoGi?format=jpg&name=medium

Loeb in Hyundai colors http://motorsport.hyundai.com/qa-with-sebastien-loeb/

Tarmop
4th January 2019, 09:52

Who knows, it could be called "marketing", at the moment all eyes are elsewhere...

Fide
4th January 2019, 17:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwDgZqyWkAAOoGi?format=jpg&name=medium

I can bet Sebastien Loeb will win again and Sordo must to retire since he never will be a winner and the pace he demonstrated accross years and years is average. Having that said... If Loeb wins in Monte or Sweden bye bye Sordo....

Barreis
4th January 2019, 17:35
you can say whatever you want bur Sordo will bring more points under pressure thwn Mikkelsen and lots of other drivers

Fide
4th January 2019, 18:04
Sordo can compete in Drift Races :) he always has a reason why not to make a good race

mknight
4th January 2019, 21:46
Not even the epic Loeb-cool factor can make the light blue Hyundai T-shirts look good.
At least the dark blue race overalls look much better.

Ds3
5th January 2019, 06:38
Of all the read news, I can bet that Loeb will not finish Dakar Rally. The car will be "broken" for justification. So do not worry about the tests will start on time.

deephouse
5th January 2019, 07:19
He probably have last shot at it. I don't think that he will jeopard it just for Monte tests. He will have them anyway even if he finish Dakar. It's just that he will not have much time to rest between events. I will not be surprised if he will take it easy at MC and finish close to the podium or even on it, hahaha.

irish_tiger
5th January 2019, 08:32

I think that many of us remember what followed shortly after this - the 307 WRC disaster. For sure Nandan brought many revolutionary technical solutions into the world of rally such as the 206 WRC with longitudinal gearbox mounted on the transversal engine but I myslef as an engineer (in different field) feel that we tend to think that we know best and in a sport which is mainly about driver's confidence there shall be someone keeping the engineer's minds on reasonable level so that the drivers stay first. Let's remmember that another engineer Willy Rampf from VW always told in his interview that the first and foremost was how the drivers felt the car.

It was Nadan who was over the development of the 307 WRC ?

Mirek
5th January 2019, 11:00
AFAIK yes. I think he left after 2005.

mknight
5th January 2019, 11:18
The gearbox story on 307 is the definition of perfect engineering meeting inperfect reality.

Engineers calculated that each shift costs some time so it's better to have 4 gears with very good engine that has good power over wide revband and therefore less shifts and in the end better speed.
In reality drivers always "felt" they were in wrong gear and changed gears more often, losing time. (can argue that it could work if drivers just "learned" the car, but that could take quite some time)

After a year(I think) they changed to 5 speed gearbox and 307 was relatively competetive even with 2nd rate drivers (Stohl, H. Solberg, Galli) for quite a while. (even though it was bigger than most other cars).

I have no idea how much Nandan was involved in all that though.

SubaruNorway
5th January 2019, 11:36
It was Nadan who was over the development of the 307 WRC ?

Also Suzuki Sx4

AnttiL
8th January 2019, 08:57
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwYN8YrU8AA7uCK.jpg

Preview of new livery

Duvel
8th January 2019, 09:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwYN8YrU8AA7uCK.jpg

Preview of new livery

Nice, hope the sides are also a bit like that, colours crossing each other.

EstWRC
8th January 2019, 13:32
I’ll wait for the final version but Meh so far.

Allez Andruet
8th January 2019, 17:27
https://www.rallit.fi/jari-huttusen-mm-uran-jatko-vaakalaudalla-toivottavasti-saadaan-joku-ajopaikka-ensi-kaudeksi/

Already widely shared on Twitter, but Huttunen revealed today that he has no idea what he's going to do (or drive) in 2019. He's waiting to hear from Hyundai and has made "some back-up plans" if Hyundai is unable to give him a car to drive this season. Huttunen still hopes to do full WRC2 campaign, but admits that "without support from Hyundai full WRC2 season is unrealistic".

Some Hyundai news make you wonder what's going on in the team...

deephouse
8th January 2019, 17:33
I’ll wait for the final version but Meh so far.

Toyota fan, if you don't like it don't watch it. I could say that Toyota have ugliest car and livery (I mean nothing special). It look like they just stick squares and have no time to really design good looking livery. Still the best livery from these 2017 spec machines onwards had DMACK or Serderidis.

dimviii
8th January 2019, 18:27
rear diffusser with less fins
https://twitter.com/KiwiWRCfan/status/1082568375434276864

EstWRC
8th January 2019, 21:40
Toyota fan, if you don't like it don't watch it. I could say that Toyota have ugliest car and livery (I mean nothing special). It look like they just stick squares and have no time to really design good looking livery. Still the best livery from these 2017 spec machines onwards had DMACK or Serderidis.

Toyota livery is even more meh and the most boring one, i have said it also previous years.

agreed about 2017 dmack livery, i voted it the best that year.

ive always been a fan of M-sport liveries, they do things different every year (ok not that much between 2017 and 2018)

Eli
9th January 2019, 09:04
Toyota livery is even more meh and the most boring one, i have said it also previous years.

agreed about 2017 dmack livery, i voted it the best that year.

ive always been a fan of M-sport liveries, they do things different every year (ok not that much between 2017 and 2018)

Agree with you on D-MACK, as for M-Sport, probably will have to change their livery with red-bull backing now gone (correct me if I'm mistaken), however, I'm really looking forwards to Citroen's design, hope they change it back to the traditional Red,White & Blue.

T16
9th January 2019, 09:46
Agree with you on D-MACK, as for M-Sport, probably will have to change their livery with red-bull backing now gone (correct me if I'm mistaken), however, I'm really looking forwards to Citroen's design, hope they change it back to the traditional Red,White & Blue.

Got a feeling the biggest presence on the fiesta will be Ford branding.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th January 2019, 11:14
Got a feeling the biggest presence on the fiesta will be Ford branding.

Agreed.

The M-Sport test car has no sponsors at all, not even tyres. Ford Performance only and that could look good on the WRC car.

Eli
9th January 2019, 11:46
Agreed.

The M-Sport test car has no sponsors at all, not even tyres. Ford Performance only and that could look good on the WRC car.

Wouldn't care if it was only in white with black alloys, like in the tests, looks way meaner that way imho.

dimviii
11th January 2019, 17:03
http://planetemarcus.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/team-hyundai-motorsport-2019/Loeb_2019.jpg
http://planetemarcus.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/team-hyundai-motorsport-2019/Neuville_2019.jpg
https://scontent.flgg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50060725_10157123008729973_446592241331339264_o.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.flgg1-1.fna&oh=714fb32ede2dc3d656071fb38f0d72eb&oe=5CB897D9

deephouse
11th January 2019, 17:29
hahah those glasses.

mknight
11th January 2019, 17:42
Loeb looks so tiny. Is that correct scale?

Oliverk
11th January 2019, 17:56
Harry Potter, Ron and two house elves

dimviii
11th January 2019, 18:01
Harry Potter, Ron and two house elves

Τhe Daltons.

dimviii
11th January 2019, 18:55
"I am delighted to take on this new role as team manager and their respective additional responsibilities," said Adamo in an official statement from Hyundai. "I hope to unify and merge our diverse motoring activities, both of the WRC and the Customer Career Department. We have a great team of people in Alzenau, so my goal is to optimize resources and continue building on the foundations that have been established so far. "
Regarding his priorities for the WRC, Adamo said: "I'm not the kind of person who comes and changes things suddenly. I need to take the time to understand what works well and what we should improve. They asked me to help the company succeed, but this is a team effort. We need to continue the work that was done up to here. The team fought for the title in recent years, so I will do what I can to take the extra step that is needed. "
Adamo himself explained that his growth was linked to the world of motor sport from an early age. "My father worked as a technical commissioner in the Italian national association and when I was 14 years old I decided that I wanted to be a motor racing engineer. I attended a technical school and then I went to study engineering in Turin. During that time I was cooperating with Abarth in rally and on track. "
"Then I worked as a junior aerodynamic in the DTM, until I started working with super touring cars," said Hyundai team director. "I was a track engineer in Italian and Spanish championships and I worked with the FIAT Group until 2008. Then I became a consultant working on rally car projects for Lotus and N Tecnología until 2012. I had a position in Honda Racing for the WTCC until 2015 and at the end of that year I finally joined Hyundai. "
"When I joined the client racing department, we were only three members and the focus was only on the R5 Rally program," said Adamo. "We had to create the whole department from scratch, build and develop a car to increase the customer base in a short time. It was ambitious and difficult, but we did it. Since then, we have added a successful TCR project. This program, together with that of the WRC and R5, is helping us to create a solid reputation for Hyundai in motor sport. "
http://motorboxradio.com.ar/2019/01/10/adamo-me-pidieron-que-ayude-a-hyundai-a-tener-exito/

pantealex
11th January 2019, 20:39
Thierry Neuville and co-driver Nicolas Gilsoil have different personal sponsor stickers.

Other Hyundai pairs have same together.

EstWRC
12th January 2019, 10:19
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50121324_2281639868568550_7713820340891156480_o.jp g?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=8f4b75048aef7567208eb20ddb17a270&oe=5CC53624
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50234192_2281639861901884_4706450627817897984_o.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=5bc2099d6f429ee38fd4d99c66057704&oe=5CD6ED08
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50234336_2281639915235212_4219407512614469632_o.jp g?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=479035498d1fc7ef5ec1df0fa527cbad&oe=5CC34684
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50184516_2281640038568533_1448884909245464576_o.jp g?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=14e96fab93a9c336f4eb8d9af9fabcd2&oe=5CB6031C
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49897941_2281640051901865_3644480931219111936_o.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=d5f1b0b2bdff8a7c454d5d719f5217ab&oe=5CCDEC67
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50009463_2281640101901860_1270435022460944384_o.jp g?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=e5252371302d3ab56d520adf35a8b63f&oe=5CCE1404
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49895859_2281640111901859_6183367135041945600_o.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=dfd8aa0f87c65f6426b8275da73dc503&oe=5C8CCA0C
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50201738_2281640025235201_909883732121354240_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=2683b74d2c12aee9cbc36c2d0f770bde&oe=5CCCC87A

mknight
12th January 2019, 12:55
I like it overall but there are a few places that stand out in negative way:
- the red parts on the dive planes
- the red step in front of rear wheel
- not sure the rear black rims fit that well

Norm75
12th January 2019, 14:38
I like it overall but there are a few places that stand out in negative way:
- the red parts on the dive planes
- the red step in front of rear wheel
- not sure the rear black rims fit that well

I agree on most points, but rear wheels are actually blue.

AnttiL
12th January 2019, 17:55
with Huttunen entered to Rally Sweden in a Fabia, he must be out of Hyundai?

PLuto
12th January 2019, 19:36
with Huttunen entered to Rally Sweden in a Fabia, he must be out of Hyundai?

Read this - https://www.rallit.fi/jari-huttusen-mm-uran-jatko-vaakalaudalla-toivottavasti-saadaan-joku-ajopaikka-ensi-kaudeksi/

AnttiL
12th January 2019, 20:23
Read this - https://www.rallit.fi/jari-huttusen-mm-uran-jatko-vaakalaudalla-toivottavasti-saadaan-joku-ajopaikka-ensi-kaudeksi/

Yeah that was earlier news, but at that point everything was still open, they didn't know (or tell) whether the Hyundai program will continue or not.

AL14
14th January 2019, 19:13
Any french speaking french can make an assumption of what he says?

I understood these things:

Some people said that he has wasted a one life chance last year but he thinks that he has many more chances in the future

He expects Loeb to make me pass ahaed of him if needed since he is not aiming for championship.

He said nothing special about Adamo (but maybe he did, please confirm).

He wouldn't change anything about his approach of last year because he did good.

Add something because my french is bad.

Link to zoomable image: http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_01_2019/post-157-0-20750000-1547455900.jpg

http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_01_2019/post-157-0-20750000-1547455900.jpg

dupanton
15th January 2019, 06:43
About Adamo: he says he is happy that "they" listened to the drivers who wanted a change in the technical departement and management. Last year, when something happened, it was never somebody's fault and in the end nothing changed. The car was equal on pace in the beginning of the year but felt behind in the 2nd half, that has to be changed.
About Toyota: we need to catch up quickly, to avoid a "VW dominance". Toyota exploited the 2018 rules concerning the testing around their own base to test more before Monte than other teams. That should be better this year.
About updates: no updates yet, but he hopes to have them from Corsica onwards.
About Loeb: he prefers to have him in his team than in another team. And certainly didn't want him helping Ogier. Loeb is there to help the team, not to help him. He hopes his experience will help devellop the car. But he does say that he expects him to pull over and switch positions if they are 1 and 2. But that will be Huyndai's decision.

That should be the most important :)

racerx1979
17th January 2019, 20:17
Andreas basically saying he will try another driving style, leave the car set up as is and see what happens.. lol. I'm sure this is good news for Paddon...
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january-2019/mikkelsen-restart/page/6011--12-12-.html

AL14
17th January 2019, 20:33
Andreas basically saying he will try another driving style, leave the car set up as is and see what happens.. lol. I'm sure this is good news for Paddon...
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january-2019/mikkelsen-restart/page/6011--12-12-.html

"learning" topic comment are on their way again lol

steve.mandzij
17th January 2019, 20:47
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january-2019/mikkelsen-restart/page/6011--12-12-.htmlIf 2016 Latvala is anything to go by, this won't end well.

mknight
17th January 2019, 21:10
Neuville/Sordo style in i20 on tarmac meant 3-5th place at best in 2018.
But not like he has much choice when close to no changes were done to the car on tarmac to suit him.

Realy wonder what happens once Loeb drives the car on dry tarmac (Corsica +).

Anyway what does Mikkelsen's terrible pace on tarmac have to do with Paddon? You mean they drop Mikkelsen on tarmac rounds and let Paddon, who never did any good on tarmac drive? If anything they would put Sordo on same rounds as Loeb.

er88
17th January 2019, 21:44
But not like he has much choice when close to no changes were done to the car on tarmac to suit him.

But changes were at least made to the car in general before Spain. Both Neuville and Sordo commented that the car felt a lot better and easier to drive, especially in the drier conditions. Mikkelsen then went and produced one of the most horrible performances I've seen from a top driver, getting beat by R5s on a full length stage etc. Hyundai belatedly made a positive step and it still didn't help Mikkelsen, in fact he was worse than ever.

So ofcourse Hyundai aren't going to homologate new upgrades just for Andreas when Neuville and Sordo are happier with the last set of changes. That's why Mikkelsen knows he either has to adapt or he's out of the team.

GravelBen
22nd January 2019, 09:51

https://scontent.fakl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50399537_2297940160271854_579349147874754560_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fakl1-1.fna&oh=82f594c665069d7334631da6aedbb445&oe=5CB53A34

dimviii
22nd January 2019, 12:26
http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_01_2019/post-157-0-70425700-1548159940.jpg

dimviii
22nd January 2019, 12:31
any news we dont know?

http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_01_2019/post-2-0-87719900-1548152229.png

http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_01_2019/post-2-0-85431500-1548152246.png

rallyfiend
22nd January 2019, 12:39
http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_01_2019/post-157-0-70425700-1548159940.jpg

That's a lot of French speakers.

I wonder if Andreas will start to feel like he's not part of the 'cool' gang...

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd January 2019, 13:12
That's a lot of French speakers.

I wonder if Andreas will start to feel like he's not part of the 'cool' gang...

He will feel even less cool if Loeb beats him for the manu points in Monte... ;)

N.O.T
22nd January 2019, 13:12
Mikkelsen should worry more about being part of the fast gang rather than the cool gang.

swanny
22nd January 2019, 14:28
Does Sordo speak French too?

EDIT: Answer from another thread: Yes.

swanny
22nd January 2019, 14:30
Mikkelsen should worry more about being part of the fast gang rather than the cool gang.

Does Dakar 'warm up' count as an excuse? :D

Eric
22nd January 2019, 15:35
He will feel even less cool if Loeb beats him for the manu points in Monte... ;)

Dont think Monte is the place where he should be faster than Loeb. Monte is kinda a lottery (with the two Seb´s most likely on top). In Sweden on the other hand, he has to deliver.

deephouse
22nd January 2019, 15:53
I don think he have any more jokers left to prove. Now or never. He could be joined in half seasoners club right away. My prediction is on Monday morning.

Jarek Z
30th January 2019, 21:07
Thierry Neuville switches to Opel:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Cullen/status/1090689708475273217

MartijnS
30th January 2019, 21:16
Only this weekend haha.

mknight
18th February 2019, 17:32
So Loeb did two rounds and has a break now, how do people think he did relative to the expectation when he was signed. I have a few quotes to help some remember:

When Loeb has won the first two rounds he might start to have second thoughts about driving only 6 rounds. And probably it is not an issue for Hyundai to have even 4 cars per rally.

Goodbye Newville, Goodbye dreams ...
Run at M-Sport while there's room ...
Loeb has never been a team player, he's greedy ...

He is the maestro, but it is not going to be a walk in the park for him...especially taking two in a row. If he is a podium contender on all the events, its good...figthing for the win on some, excellent.

1. Loeb will win Monte and . . .
2. Be the leading Hyundai after Sweden

3. Loeb arriving at Hyundai and being immediately faster than their full time drivers, saying that nothing is wrong with that car. Therefore Adamo is being sacked and Nandan called back.

----------------
Obviously it's very easy to point out these in perfect hindsight.

On the other hand the difference between his C3 outings last year and I20 this year is huge.
In C3:
- top 3 speed in all rallies, leading 2 of 3
- fastest or equally fastest C3 in all of them (in Mexico he was about same speed as Meeke, Corsica faster, Spain fastest but only Breen to compare with)
Remember that C3 was still considered a difficult car to master on gravel when he drove it first time in Mexico (before suspension changes) and he was immediately fast.

I20:
- top 4-5 speed in Monte, only faster than Tidemand in Sweden
- clearly slower than Neuville on both, same speed as Mikkelsen in Monte when both competed, slowest in Sweden
- slower than Suninen on dry tarmac with same tires when he said he was pushing max!

I don't think he forgot how to drive in a few months. Sure there are factors that can explain why he is slower (new car, not enough testing, dakar before monte, long time since driving on snow etc. etc.), but the difference is imo so big that it can't be only down to those. Clearly the performance is very different compared with the expectations quoted above.

N.O.T
18th February 2019, 18:22
can somebody start banning people from the UK ? their stupidity lowers the forums intellectual level....

Tarmop
18th February 2019, 19:00
Yup, not that others with the same car have been fighting for wins or a second place (Tänak was unbeatable last weekend)...no...

And you also counted the reasons: experience in the car, being in Dakar for several thousands of km`s etcetc. Your arguments would be valid, maybe(!) in autumn.

EstWRC
18th February 2019, 19:08
and he has quoted me from Crystal Balls thread :rolleyes:

masa90
18th February 2019, 19:11
It is hard to assess the performance of these cars these days. Hyundai seem to struggle a lot on high speed events. And well, Tanak is having an amazing spell at the moment.

But somehow seems like i20 is only the second best car after Yaris. The car seems to be hard to drive, all others struggle apart from Neuville.

Lets see, interesting stuff !

mknight
18th February 2019, 19:15
You both guessed wrong for the first two outings and both your predictions apply to that. Nothing bad about that, it's guessing after all. Everyone here guesses wrong every now and then.
The mentioned factors were very much known when he was signed, so not much of an excuse in them.

The funny thing is the reactions, does admitting you were wrong hurt physically or why is that a problem? The troll on my ignore list has little to say after the long "Finish village team of nobodies" story.

----------------
There are two reasons why I had to quote people
1. Lot of people don't seem to remember what they thought last week, specially if they were not correct.
2. Saying "some people" just invites to hiding

logic
18th February 2019, 19:28
So Loeb did two rounds and has a break now, how do people think he did relative to the expectation when he was signed. I have a few quotes to help some remember:

----------------
Obviously it's very easy to point out these in perfect hindsight.

On the other hand the difference between his C3 outings last year and I20 this year is huge.
In C3:
- top 3 speed in all rallies, leading 2 of 3
- fastest or equally fastest C3 in all of them (in Mexico he was about same speed as Meeke, Corsica faster, Spain fastest but only Breen to compare with)
Remember that C3 was still considered a difficult car to master on gravel when he drove it first time in Mexico (before suspension changes) and he was immediately fast.

I20:
- top 4-5 speed in Monte, only faster than Tidemand in Sweden
- clearly slower than Neuville on both, same speed as Mikkelsen in Monte when both competed, slowest in Sweden
- slower than Suninen on dry tarmac with same tires when he said he was pushing max!

I don't think he forgot how to drive in a few months. Sure there are factors that can explain why he is slower (new car, not enough testing, dakar before monte, long time since driving on snow etc. etc.), but the difference is imo so big that it can't be only down to those. Clearly the performance is very different compared with the expectations quoted above.

Seriously?

janvanvurpa
18th February 2019, 20:11
can somebody start banning people from the UK ? their stupidity lowers the forums intellectual level....

Great idea..Right after they ban Greek lab-rats living in England...

janvanvurpa
18th February 2019, 20:18
Hope springs eternal

mknight
18th February 2019, 20:26
https://sports.orange.fr/divers/sports-mecaniques/article/sebastien-loeb-nostalgique-CNT000001d1WZY.html

"At the wheel of his Hyundai, the soon to be 45 years old (he will be celebrating them next week) finished seventh, 1'49 behind winner Ott Tänäk (Toyota), and confided to L'Equipethat he had felt a change from his great time. "The car was fine but I realized that things had changed a lot since my time. Everyone rolls a lot more to the limit than before. With all the views of the on-board cameras, the guys know the specials by heart and they refine each turn. It becomes circuit in fact, it does not leave much room for improvisation and I'm not used to working like that. "

Elena said something like that already in Mexico last year though.

dimviii
18th February 2019, 21:40

he is in US now.Beware!

N.O.T
18th February 2019, 22:32

i do not fall into that category anymore... people advance in life you know, so go ahead.

Andre Oliveira
19th February 2019, 07:35
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzwPLUXW0AAWzyS?format=jpg&name=medium

T16
19th February 2019, 07:56
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzwPLUXW0AAWzyS?format=jpg&name=medium

Good. Happy to see Loeb drive as much as possible. Not too fussed that Mikkelsen has been brushed aside.
Im assuming they’ve found a way to break his much talked about contract, so wonder what this will mean further down the line for other events?

deephouse
19th February 2019, 08:32
What if Loeb will not show anyting special then they shot at their own foot again.

Tarmop
19th February 2019, 08:43
There`s a possibility with every driver, that they will fail. So far, with the current spec., he has won a tarmac event, been fourth in RMC with the i20, crashed in Corsica, but came back the following day with stage wins and second times, worst being 5th and 6th. Outpaced and outplaced Mikkelsen on all outings so you probably get where they hope to be.

mknight
19th February 2019, 09:34
Outpaced and outplaced Mikkelsen on all outings so you probably get where they hope to be.
On Monte in same car Mikkelsen was ahead of Loeb when he crashed, how does that count as outpacing?

Comparing results in "current spec" as one is retarded. Mikkelsen's tarmac pace in i20 is certainly something else than in C3. Just like Loeb's so far.
Will be nice to see Sordo vs Loeb in same car as we have had comparison in different cars recently. Just like Neuville vs Loeb.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway for Hyundai this seems like the best choice given the circumstances. Loeb should definitely drive Corsica because of his both historic and last years pace there and to get his feedback on the car. Sordo is better guarantee for a "decent" performance.

However for the results on Corsica it is much more important what kind of development/upgrades they plan before it. Cause if they are on same level as in Spain (or Corsica last year) they will fight for 5-7. (speedwise) no matter the driver. But it's possible they won't have time to introduce anything major before it and already write it off as a development test.

What if Loeb will not show anyting special then they shot at their own foot again.

AFAIK Corsica was sure for Loeb when he signed. Actually you can read it as them not believing Loeb will necessarily do well. If they believed in Loeb they could afford "weak" 3rd car. But maybe after the dry stages on Monte they are not so sure and get Sordo in to ensure some usable points.

AL14
19th February 2019, 09:50
I stick to my idea that all those changes will not bring any good.
Lineup changes make sense only in some cases (like for example if you have a half program for some rookie), otherwise you only affect the confidence of drivers, you give them even more pressure and sense of precariety, don't give them time or means to learn from mistakes.
Last but not least, I can't recall any swapping-lineup team winning anything in the last 10 years and I fear they could be more.

Also, I think that they have to do something with their car. It seems that it can be driven only from Neuville. I've never believed that Mikkelsen has became all of a sudden a mediocre driver. Paddon had his own problems for sure but he was a better driver before new i20. Also Loeb seems not much comfortable.
It would be ok if Neuville won championships but he isn't...

mknight
19th February 2019, 09:58
Also, I think that they have to do something with their car. It seems that it can be driven only from Neuville. I've never believed that Mikkelsen has became all of a sudden a mediocre driver. Paddon had his own problems for sure but he was a better driver before new i20. Also Loeb seems not much comfortable.

But you can read into this latest decision in two ways

1. Let's keep on swapping drivers and saying the car is fine (this was certainly Nandan's policy, both in words and in not introducing any changes on tarmac for a year even after 2017 Spain and 2018 Corsica). Neuville started to get vocal against this when Loeb was signed.

2. We need to change the car and in the meantime have to maximize points (=Sordo in "old" car)

denkimi
19th February 2019, 14:24
I stick to my idea that all those changes will not bring any good.
Lineup changes make sense only in some cases (like for example if you have a half program for some rookie), otherwise you only affect the confidence of drivers, you give them even more pressure and sense of precariety, don't give them time or means to learn from mistakes.
Last but not least, I can't recall any swapping-lineup team winning anything in the last 10 years and I fear they could be more.

Ogier could win in the fiesta, evans couldn't. Tanak can win in the yaris, latvala and the others can't. Neuville can win in the i20, the others can't.
Is it really about the car? Or are mikkelsen and sordo indeed mediocre, and is loeb getting too old?

If hyundai wanted to be sure of the championship, they should have hired ogier or tanak. Their failure to do that and create a dreamteam can only be blamed on themself.

EstWRC
19th February 2019, 14:45
wow, clearly didnt see this decision to come on so early

mknight
19th February 2019, 14:49
Ogier could win in the fiesta, evans couldn't. Tanak can win in the yaris, latvala and the others can't. Neuville can win in the i20, the others can't.
Is it really about the car? Or are mikkelsen and sordo indeed mediocre, and is loeb getting too old?

Evans won in the Fiesta, almost 2nd rally as well. Latvala won 2 rallies in Yaris, including one before Tanak even joined. Lappi won in it as well.

In fact I20 is the only one of the 4 WRC cars that only has 1 driver that ever won with it. Fiesta has 3, Yaris 3, C3 2.

There are cars that fit only some drivers, Mitsubishi Evo gr A with Makinen is the perfect example. Other recent one is Peugeot 307 where everyone except Gronholm stuggled (Martin best reference), seems like Nandan was the main engineer there too.

If hyundai wanted to be sure of the championship, they should have hired ogier or tanak. Their failure to do that and create a dreamteam can only be blamed on themself.

They did hire Loeb, the guy that won the last rally before he was hired. Kicking Neuville and getting Ogier instead in summer 2018 is an interesting idea, but somehow I think Ogier would pick Citroen either way. Tanak was hired when Neuville was dominating (june/july 2017) and at that time still didn't win a tarmac rally.

The cycle here is indeed interesting
2017 -> Sordo and Paddon struggling (each on different events) => hire Mikkelsen and reduce Sordo and Paddon starts
2018 -> Mikkelsen is struggling => hire Loeb, kick Paddon, reduce Sordo (Monte) and Mikkelsen (Corsica) starts
2019 -> ?

AL14
19th February 2019, 15:00

You have a point. Especially when you talk about hiring ogier or tanak. When Ogier left VW they had a golden opportunity and they didn't take it because they had already contracts and wanted to preserve balance. But they are there to win championships not to preserve balance among the team...

Regarding the car normally I agree with you but in this very case we should also consider that every driver beside Neuville struggles in that seat. Sordo is somewhat decent but nothing special. Paddon was rising to become a champion with the previous generation of cars and Mikkelsen was a rally winner. Now in tarmac he is slower than r5 sometimes. I think that it is too big difference and that car has something that suits Neuville and dont' suits other, preventing them to get at least manufacturers points.

Lead
19th February 2019, 15:03
I think Mikkelsen will be gone from Hyundai at the end of the season (if not even faster). As it is clear this coorperation isnt working both ways.

AnttiL
19th February 2019, 15:19
In fact I20 is the only one of the 4 WRC cars that only has 1 driver that ever won with it. Fiesta has 3, Yaris 3, C3 2.

Meeke, Loeb and Ogier won in a C3

mknight
19th February 2019, 15:48
Meeke, Loeb and Ogier won in a C3

Lol, I forgot Ogier...

Then it's 3 different winners for all 3 other cars but only 1 for i20.

Tarmop
19th February 2019, 16:09
But if you take Tänak, Ogier and Neuville out of the equation, how many events have others really won (and won before, during the previous era)?
2017 Sweden- Latvala won, but Neuville unbeatable until his off
2017 Mexico- Meeke took it fair and square, though Citroen was the only car without cooling issues i believe? + road order
2017 Finland- Well, Toyota at its home event was pretty much unbeatable, like in 2018. Latvala with tech. issues, Ogier off early, Tänak with issues, Hyundai with issues like every year. Perfect chance for Lappi.
2017 RACC- Meeke took it, again great roadposition on Friday, combined with speed
2017 GB- home event of Evans, car, driver, tyres...
2018 RACC- Loeb enjoying a good starting position, takes it after Tänak has issues
2018 Australia- Latvala takes it after a massive fight for the title between the top 3, ended in the bushes for Tänak and Neuville, Ogier cleaning himself from 11th to 5th.

A win is a win, but there`s also that a huge amount of luck in those mentioned wins... and bad luck/road order for others... Also have to remember that after those wins all of them have been lost for some time, some even several times (except for Loeb ofc :)).

Only one pattern comes out and that clearly shows that when everything goes according to plan for the top 3, the only ones who can beat them, are their fellow two rivals. And even not then always.

mknight
19th February 2019, 16:32
Finland 2017 for Toyota (fastest 2) and Spain 2017 for Citroen count for me. Yes Toyota is fast in Finland no matter the driver, but that is precisely the point. In 2017 Spain Meeke gained so much on tarmac that the gravel gains were irrelevant.

Anyway after reading further comments from Adamo it sounds like his bosses are loosing patience. First two rallies and no win with only 2 podiums and notably slower performance from all drivers than last year. Changing drivers shows he does "something". For Hyundais sake let's hope they also do some development.

Tarmop
19th February 2019, 17:11
And Fiesta wins then? Evans has yet to accomplish another one.
Ok, lets put it this way, excluding again Top 3 and talking about contracted (or now uncontracted) drivers who have drove the new spec a season (more or less).
M-Sport:
Suninen- young and learning
Evans: Not young at all, his fith season in the top class, has one win thanks to an advantage, in a car that took 3 titles.
Citroen: Lappi, young and learning, started his second full season. Apart from that home event nowhere near the win, struggles to get a podium most of the time ("Yes Toyota is fast in Finland no matter the driver" did not apply 2018 to him)
Hyundai
Sordo: first and last victory in a DS3 WRC from 2013, that is a car that has earned several titles and had its latest wins in 2016, when it wasn`t the top car anymore, without big developments definitely. Before that, started in 2006 and again with cars that ate others for breakfast
Mikkelsen: started when he was 16, first car Focus WRC, full seasons in the series since 2013, has managed to take 3 victories, with the help of others, in the best car.
Paddon: was doing great, took his maiden win in 2016 and was looking promising, then RMC tragedy and personal problems hit, nevertheless managed to lead rallies in 2017, only which ended with tech. issues or driving error.
Toyota
Meeke: Fast, capable of winning probably with every car, that can actually win
Latvala: Most experienced of the lot, wins with all the recent cars he has driven,

The more you look at it, the more...

Morte66
19th February 2019, 17:44
I see a lot of posts on this forum saying "I think so and so will be gone at the end of the year", and I always think "which driver is clearly better and will be available?"

Who would replace Mikkelsen who is actually likely to be available? Are Breen or Paddon clearly better than him? They seem in the same general ballpark.

Ogier and Tanak are clearly better, but it seems unlikely they'll get fired soon. If Meeke succeeds at Toyota he'll say there, and if he doesn't Hyundai won't want him. Rovanpera(!) might make sense as a much longer term thing, but Hyundai seem focussed on the short term.

mknight
19th February 2019, 17:49
Seems like you'r lost in your own argument

Point: All other cars than i20 had multiple drivers winning in them

1. Tarmop: Nobody else but Ogier/Tanak/Neuville won on pace
Answer: Latvala, Meeke and Lappi did

2. Tarmop: Only Meeke and Latvala are proven winners
Answer: So what all 3 cars have wins with both proven and "random" winners. Both clearly on pace (like Lappi) and "almost" on pace like Loeb or Evans. I20 has no win either way, with 3 and sometimes 4 cars entering the events.

Funny how you mange to ignore the Ele(-nas)-phant in the room cause he doesn't fit the constructed arguments. You know that guy that you said will fight for podium both in Monte and Sweden.

AL14
19th February 2019, 19:10
The struggle of other drivers in the i20 is clear.
Guys Mikkelsen won 2 rallys and got a total of 5-6 podium places in 2016. One and a half years later he is slower than R5s. It simply cannot be only up on the driver. MKnight is right. Second and third drivers on other cars achivied results, hyundai's drivers are fighting with wrc2 on tarmac, driving rallycross or performing much worse than last year.

They have been able to deliver to Neuville a winning car, despite a hard competition from a legend like Ogier, Citroen taking one year for development and Toyota coming with big budget.
But imho they Bigger mistakes have been:
- Not have took Ogier in 2017
- Have developed a car good for only one of their driver who gave them a lot of complaining and 0 championship in 5 years.
- Do Not have a clear lineup.
- Do Not have kept investing in young guns like Huttunen or Rovanpera.

Tarmop
19th February 2019, 19:15
Seems like you'r lost in your own argument

Point: All other cars than i20 had multiple drivers winning in them

1. Tarmop: Nobody else but Ogier/Tanak/Neuville won on pace
Answer: Latvala, Meeke and Lappi did

2. Tarmop: Only Meeke and Latvala are proven winners
Answer: So what all 3 cars have wins with both proven and "random" winners. Both clearly on pace (like Lappi) and "almost" on pace like Loeb or Evans. I20 has no win either way, with 3 and sometimes 4 cars entering the events.

Funny how you mange to ignore the Ele(-nas)-phant in the room cause he doesn't fit the constructed arguments. You know that guy that you said will fight for podium both in Monte and Sweden.

On every event, everywhere, it`s only the top 3, should have been more specific.
Latvala didn`t win those events on his own pace, could argue about Meeke`s Mexico and Lappi also, but a win is a win, yes.
Jup, said it, thought about it, wasn`t correct. You also ripped sentences from someones crystal ball...

I`ll give you another bone, You yourself threw here: Loeb talking about how good the car was, just that times have changed and everyone, except him (from active drivers), knows the stages by heart. When you`re already at it, some comments about Sordo leading Rally Mexico after day 1 in Mexico 2018, also something that shouldn`t be happening with such a bad car.

Eric
19th February 2019, 20:25
Loeb will struggle in Tour de Course. Mark my words.

Mikkelsen didnt forget how to drive on tarmac from one season to another. Going from second in Germany to being beaten by R5´s. The car is a disaster on tarmac for everyone except Neuville. Its as simple as that.

Finne
19th February 2019, 21:32

Mikkelsen didnt forget how to drive on tarmac from one season to another. Going from second in Germany to being beaten by R5´s. The car is a disaster on tarmac for everyone except Neuville. Its as simple as that.

It seems that people always emphasize how bad car is to others instead of finding how good Neuville is. There is some truth in assertion that Hyundai is demands special way to drive but in the end the car is same for everyone. It´s drivers duty to adapt to the vehicle available. When a driver looses to team mate in similar equipment there is no excuses.

doubled1978
19th February 2019, 21:43

I’d say it’s not great for Neuville either, he is just operating at a very high level and has found a way to make it work better for him. I always get the impression watching the Hyundai car that the front and rear are not working together, that they are always trying to force a balance rather than exploit one that is inherent. All 3 generations of Hyundai WRC have looked to have had the same trait from what I see.

Eric
19th February 2019, 22:06
It seems that people always emphasize how bad car is to others instead of finding how good Neuville is. There is some truth in assertion that Hyundai is demands special way to drive but in the end the car is same for everyone. It´s drivers duty to adapt to the vehicle available. When a driver looses to team mate in similar equipment there is no excuses.

Neuville is an excellent driver. But right now we were talking about Mikkelsen. And the fact that there is no logic in being second in 2017, to slowest in 2018.

With that said, Neuville has been in Hyundai for 6(?) years. He has adapted his driving to the i20 and the i20 has been built after his wishes and feedback. That doesnt take any glory off the guy, he has made the car suit himself and he is a solid top three driver.

The problem for Hyundai is that Neuville has found a way of driving that almost no one else handles. Ogier, Latvala, Mikkelsen, Loeb, Tanak has the same style, while Neuville is kind of doing his "own thing". And he does it well! But for the manufacture title its not optimal and thats why Hyundai still has 0 trophies in their office in Alzenau.
Thats also why i think Mikkelsen/Paddon/Sordo has an excuse for not being as fast as their team mate.

Lets see what Loeb is able to do with that i20 on tarmac. But as I said; I am pretty sure we will see another Loeb than what we are used to.

denkimi
19th February 2019, 22:19
lets say it different.

suppose the championship leader doesn't have to open the road, and nobody has to give up with technical difficulties, how many rally's would have been won by someone else than neuville, ogier or tanak in the last 2,5 years?

we all know that neither lappi, latvala, evans, paddon or mikkelsen have the outright speed to beat those 3 a rally on equal terms. only the starting order giving the later starters sometimes huge advantages makes them look better then they are. and in my opinion, mikkelsen and even loeb today belong to that group.

mknight
20th February 2019, 05:33
About driving the i20. In Polo Mikkelsen was much more neat than Latvala and drove very similarly to Ogier, same with Fabia and C3. Started like that in I20 too.
This year both in Monte and Sweden he was one of the most sideways guys, like Neuville . And interestingly as a result he is closer to Neuville on pace than last year.
Both of them are slower than last year though. Loeb was super neat in Sweden, like he is used to.... and slowest WRC, bare Tidemand.

EstWRC
20th February 2019, 05:46
He has been sideways like hell since joining the Hyundai IMO, definitely last year. this season he has been less so, as far as i have seen on the videos but still way more than others.

then again, it has been just two rounds but he has admitted himself he has to change his style.

mknight
20th February 2019, 06:15
Comparing 2018 and 2019 Sweden, I'd say he was more sideways this year.

Lead
20th February 2019, 08:17
This year it looked like Mikkelsen tried aggressively "throw" the car into corners. He was struggling with this style and it was pretty clear. The places I was in Sweden, i20 looked the most unstable car (especially the rear of the car) and it seemed it lacked power coming out of the corners too.
I dont know what the problem Hyundai is having, but they have to react fast, because all other manufacturers are sliding away.

BigWorm
20th February 2019, 12:37
This year it looked like Mikkelsen tried aggressively "throw" the car into corners. He was struggling with this style and it was pretty clear. The places I was in Sweden, i20 looked the most unstable car (especially the rear of the car) and it seemed it lacked power coming out of the corners too.
I dont know what the problem Hyundai is having, but they have to react fast, because all other manufacturers are sliding away.

Pre-season Neuville was hopeful of having updates for Corsica (or maybe it was Portugal). Let's see if it actually is going to be true.

Rallyper
20th February 2019, 13:05
He should have softer suspension at rear. Easy solution... :) :)

tommeke_B
20th February 2019, 13:10
If it were so easy they would have done it 2 years ago. ;)

Allez Andruet
20th February 2019, 13:18
Good. Happy to see Loeb drive as much as possible. Not too fussed that Mikkelsen has been brushed aside.
Im assuming they’ve found a way to break his much talked about contract, so wonder what this will mean further down the line for other events?

It would be nice to know what exactly has happened during the past couple of weeks (between yesterday's announcement and the one which stated Mikkelsen would do all rallies this season). Obviously there's been two rallies, which make you think that maybe the "full season clause" Mikkelsen had (or still has) in his contract is somehow related to results (i.e. x amount of points during x number of rallies with clauses for technical failures etc.). And now that his full season is no longer a full season, will we actually see the modified line-up of Neuville-Loeb-Sordo also in some other rallies later on this year? Paddon's a longshot, but maybe this could even open up the door for him?

AnttiL
20th February 2019, 13:46
I still ask who will they send to Finland

EstWRC
20th February 2019, 13:48
Paddon

Allez Andruet
20th February 2019, 13:50
Huttunen! Though he doesn't need to be send, he's quite nearby already.

mknight
20th February 2019, 14:08
It would be nice to know what exactly has happened during the past couple of weeks (between yesterday's announcement and the one which stated Mikkelsen would do all rallies this season). Obviously there's been two rallies, which make you think that maybe the "full season clause" Mikkelsen had (or still has) in his contract is somehow related to results (i.e. x number of points during x amount of rallies with clauses for technical failures etc.). And now that his full season is no longer a full season, will we actually see the modified line-up of Neuville-Loeb-Sordo also in some other rallies later on this year? Paddon's a longshot, but maybe this could even open up the door for him?

Imo (and the wording of the release and Adamo's comments seem to confirm) it's not so much about how Mikkelsen did in the two rallies but how the whole Hyundai as a team did. 0 wins, 2 podiums (out of 6 "chances") and 2nd in manu.

Somebody higher up lost patience and demands something done immediately.

Sordo+Loeb looks right now more likely to give better results for Corsica. I'd expect that no matter how the contract is written there are only some economic penalties for Hyundai if Mikkelsen doesn't drive, so they were just willing to take the cost. If you follow that route "best point chance no matter the cost" then Neuville-Loeb-Sordo is off course likely in Germany and/or Spain (more in Spain than Germany, cause Sordo has a crashing tendency there the last 2 years), not much anywhere else.

Extending this to other drivers and other rallies then the only drivers that could be somehow expected to get better results and are available are Paddon or Østberg in Finland (where Hyundai has a seat free already). Huttunen is an extra risk, not a "safe" choice for points, so it's less likely that calling Østberg or even Breen.
On other rallies Paddon had same or lower speed than Mikkelsen last year and no other (available) driver really did better.

Duvel
20th February 2019, 19:03
Imo (and the wording of the release and Adamo's comments seem to confirm) it's not so much about how Mikkelsen did in the two rallies but how the whole Hyundai as a team did. 0 wins, 2 podiums (out of 6 "chances") and 2nd in manu.

Somebody higher up lost patience and demands something done immediately.

Sordo+Loeb looks right now more likely to give better results for Corsica. I'd expect that no matter how the contract is written there are only some economic penalties for Hyundai if Mikkelsen doesn't drive, so they were just willing to take the cost. If you follow that route "best point chance no matter the cost" then Neuville-Loeb-Sordo is off course likely in Germany and/or Spain (more in Spain than Germany, cause Sordo has a crashing tendency there the last 2 years), not much anywhere else.

Extending this to other drivers and other rallies then the only drivers that could be somehow expected to get better results and are available are Paddon or Østberg in Finland (where Hyundai has a seat free already). Huttunen is an extra risk, not a "safe" choice for points, so it's less likely that calling Østberg or even Breen.
On other rallies Paddon had same or lower speed than Mikkelsen last year and no other (available) driver really did better.

I expect Paddon in Finland, he knows the car somewhat already. Ostberg, Breen, Huttunen, al would have to adapt to thecar first.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th February 2019, 19:41
Simple reason gor dropping Mikkelsen at TDC: Hyundai realise the Manufacturer's title is their best chance and are going to play their strongest team rally by rally.

AnttiL
20th February 2019, 20:05
Paddon

And who else? Neuville of course, but a third one...I bet Sordo and Loeb are both equally reluctant

Tarmop
20th February 2019, 20:29
You can`t say Paddon had slower speed than Mikkelsen after six finished events out of seven and he only lost 11 points or something in the end to Mikkelsen, who did a full season. Yes, Mikkelsen had some issues and restarts (not a single retirement then again), but numbers are numbers.

mknight
20th February 2019, 21:54
You can`t say Paddon had slower speed than Mikkelsen after six finished events out of seven and he only lost 11 points or something in the end to Mikkelsen, who did a full season. Yes, Mikkelsen had some issues and restarts (not a single retirement then again), but numbers are numbers.

Numbers show he was slower, points show he scored better.
Sweden - slower 2 places behind
Portugal - just first few stages, Paddon with roadposition advantage and a few secs ahead when he crashed, Mikkelsen with broken powersteering and then engine, call it draw
Sardinia - slower, when Mikkelsen's gearbox broke he was first, Paddon 8. +36s behind
Finland - Paddon clearly faster and fastest Hyundai
Turkey - slower, Mikkelsen was first 40s ahead of Tanak and 1:12 ahead of Paddon when mechanics forgot to put in all screws out of service
GB - slower though only by a few secs, can call it draw
AUS - same pace, 3s difference when Mikkelsen met tractor, same speed on Saturday (except SSS where it rained for Mikkelsen and not Paddon), same speed Sunday morning again before Hyundai ordered cruise

That's Paddon 1 : Mikkelsen 3, if calling all of GB, Portugal and Australia a draw. If you put GB for Mikkelsen (he finished ahead) and Australia for Paddon it goes to 2:4.
Note the number of crashes 1:1 (with tractor on stage)
Number of technical retirements 0:3 (these do have rather big impact on scored points)

wrc2017
20th February 2019, 22:42
Portugal - just first few stages, Paddon with roadposition advantage and a few secs ahead when he crashed, Mikkelsen with broken powersteering and then engine, call it draw
Sardinia - slower, when Mikkelsen's gearbox broke he was first, Paddon 8. +36s behind
Turkey - slower, Mikkelsen was first 40s ahead of Tanak and 1:12 ahead of Paddon when mechanics forgot to put in all screws out of service
AUS - same pace, 3s difference when Mikkelsen met tractor, same speed on Saturday (except SSS where it rained for Mikkelsen and not Paddon), same speed Sunday morning again before Hyundai ordered cruise

That's Paddon 1 : Mikkelsen 3, if calling all of GB, Portugal and Australia a draw. If you put GB for Mikkelsen (he finished ahead) and Australia for Paddon it goes to 2:4.
Number of technical retirements 0:3 (these do have rather big impact on scored points)
:grenade:

sollitt
20th February 2019, 22:58

As usual your over-analysis makes no allowance for the orders or the role each is playing. Having been demoted Paddon's role was not to go for victories but to bring the car home undamaged and in the points. I imagine that his fate should he have failed would have been fairly well explained.
Pound for pound Paddon would wipe the floor with Mikkelsen.

Norm75
20th February 2019, 23:24
And who else? Neuville of course, but a third one...I bet Sordo and Loeb are both equally reluctant

I thought the third car being discussed was who would replace Sordo and Loeb. Second car will be Mikkelsen. Or have I missed something.

And I also thought Paddon released a video at the start of the season, saying he had only been offered one rally (presumably Finland) and declined. Or did I get that one wrong.

Third car, if Gronholm says Huttenen is still on hyundais books, will likely go to Huttenen if Loeb and Sordo aren't prepared to do Finland surely?

GravelBen
21st February 2019, 00:09
Funny how mknight blames road position/conditions/anything else when Mikkelsen is slower, but completely ignores it when he is faster. Been taking lessons from Ogier's PR!

Lets mention some of the bits he conveniently missed out...

Portugal "a few seconds ahead when he crashed"... Paddon was leading the rally when he crashed on SS7, SS6 results show Mikkelsen in 10th and over a minute behind.

Sardinia Mikkelsen had a good road position while Paddon was wading through a mudbath.

Turkey Paddon was driving strategically to protect the car (quite successfully too seeing as he finished on the podium).

GB similar pace yes, Paddon had clear instructions to hold back and ensure points and was always going to drop behind Neuville (maybe the same for Mikkelsen I guess). It is often his worst gravel rally, doesn't go so well in the mud.

Finland and Aus Paddon was faster while frustrated at how much he was holding back to avoid risk and ensure team points, and looked like he would have had much more speed on tap if allowed to push. He also did it without crashing, unlike Mikkelsen (on both occasions).

wrc2017
21st February 2019, 02:55
I still ask who will they send to Finland Breen

GravelBen
21st February 2019, 04:24
And I also thought Paddon released a video at the start of the season, saying he had only been offered one rally (presumably Finland) and declined. Or did I get that one wrong.

You're right on that - but things can change, especially with Hyundai team politics.

pantealex
21st February 2019, 06:32
Many people said before Sweden entries that Loeb doesn´t like it / won´t drive it...
He did.

I expect him to drive Finland also.

Nothing he said before his Hyundai deal can´t be counted.

Only problem is that 6 rallies deal, if he really wants to do only 6, which is he skipping ?

mknight
21st February 2019, 08:04
Funny how mknight blames road position/conditions/anything else when Mikkelsen is slower, but completely ignores it when he is faster. Been taking lessons from Ogier's PR!

Lets mention some of the bits he conveniently missed out...

Portugal "a few seconds ahead when he crashed"... Paddon was leading the rally when he crashed on SS7, SS6 results show Mikkelsen in 10th and over a minute behind.

Sardinia Mikkelsen had a good road position while Paddon was wading through a mudbath.

Turkey Paddon was driving strategically to protect the car (quite successfully too seeing as he finished on the podium).

GB similar pace yes, Paddon had clear instructions to hold back and ensure points and was always going to drop behind Neuville (maybe the same for Mikkelsen I guess). It is often his worst gravel rally, doesn't go so well in the mud.

Finland and Aus Paddon was faster while frustrated at how much he was holding back to avoid risk and ensure team points, and looked like he would have had much more speed on tap if allowed to push. He also did it without crashing, unlike Mikkelsen (on both occasions).

Riiiight, I so enjoy arguing with you cause you accuse me of selective arguments and then top me up with being even more selective ;)

Portugal
7.4s was Paddon ahead with better road position (after SS5) when Mikkelsen's power steering failed on SS6 (seems like most common fault at Hyundai last 2 years), and the 1 min drop happened. But hey let's pick positions after SS6, +1

The theme seems to be "Paddon always held back", that surely beats all arguments, impossible to prove just how much he did and equally as impossible to say what speed he would have if he did not.

Anyway even with your counting we get to 2 (FIN, AU) : 4 (SWE, SAR, TUR, GB)

mknight
21st February 2019, 08:07
Many people said before Sweden entries that Loeb doesn´t like it / won´t drive it...
He did.

Yes he did, and was slowest WRC except Tidemand and slower than Paddon last year. If they are really so serious about point chances they will rather try to get Paddon or Østberg, especially since Loeb does not have it in his contract.

racerx1979
21st February 2019, 08:37
I doubt Mads will drop his Citroen R5 program for a single outing with Hyundai for Finland

AnttiL
21st February 2019, 08:46
I thought the third car being discussed was who would replace Sordo and Loeb. Second car will be Mikkelsen. Or have I missed something.

Yeah, although his Finland last year wasn't so successful either. And like mentioned here, Paddon's position in the team remains still under question.

doubled1978
21st February 2019, 12:13
He did.

Nothing he said before his Hyundai deal can´t be counted.

Only problem is that 6 rallies deal, if he really wants to do only 6, which is he skipping ?

I suspect he may end up doing more than that, maybe if we discount the flyaways, Mexico, Argentina, Chile and Australia to reduce the ‘commitment’ anything could be open. That said Chile could be good for him as it’s new for everyone, and after potentially missing Mexico and Argentina, he would also have a good road position.

Mk2 RS2000
21st February 2019, 23:45
I think that you will find that Sweden was the offer that Hayden declined.

It would be interesting to know how many power steering units failed on Paddon's car in 2017, as we all are aware doesn't bag the car in public but for sure there were more than were reported for stage ends.

2018, Paddon was driving to instructions, even to the point of sometimes receiving a txt message just prior to a stage start. This perhaps starts to explain why sometimes his last splits during a stage were slightly off the pace. He was a team player.

er88
22nd February 2019, 01:49
Mikkelsen getting dropped was obvious the more I thought about it. How could Hyundai, and Adamo under huge pressure, justify having Andreas in the car on tarmac when the GOAT or one of the better tarmac drivers (sordo) sits at home? Answer is, you can't justify it. Especially after Spain last year when Mikkelsen was miles off his two team mates (and this was after upgrades to the car, of which Neuville and Sordo both said helped a lot especially in the drying/dry conditions). If Mikkelsen couldn't get anywhere close to the best out the car unlike the other two, he's rightfully dropped. It would've been nonsensical to have him over Loeb or Sordo.

Let's wait and see for Corsica - I expect Hyundai aren't as far away as previously, but still need further improvements. But some of the talk here has been silly about the car, it's a very good car. Ogier would've won the title in it in 2017 and in 2018 imo, and you can't win a title in a bad car. Heck it was Neuville's fault he didn't win in 17, he blew two sure fire wins in Monte and Sweden (50pts) in a year he won on tarmac in Corsica. In 18, the car broke in Turkey and Neuville made a costly mistake in GB. Yes they have weaker events but it's a few upgrades away from being a powerhouse of a car.

Also regarding the other drivers not having won in it - is is really a surprise that Sordo/Mikkelsen/Paddon haven't won with the i20?! Genuinely? I don't think so. Neuville is on a different level to his team mates - despite him being a bit disliked on here.
Sordo has won one event in his whole career ffs, and the wrc is at it's most competitive now. Mikkelsen had by far an away the best car for 3yrs or whatever at VW with little competition, was team mate to a mentally broken Latvala, and still only won 3events despite Ogier sweeping the road for two days for a whole year! And Paddon hasn't kicked on after the Argentina win years ago and didn't get the required diff changes for a while. And let's not judge Loeb like he's still on the top top level - he isn't and has said that himself. He's still great but he wouldn't beat Ogier/Tanak or Neuville across a whole year. He was top 3 pace in Mexico (road position) and Corsica (home rally/best tarmac car) but still made little mistakes due to his age and time away when trying to match the top guys. Mistakes he'd have never have made in his pomp. In Spain he didn't take advantage of road position, was nowhere near Tanak, and then made an inspired tyre choice gamble which won him the rally after Tanak's troubles. Again people on here maybe expected him to win events this year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't bar the most dusty of gravel events (as I think Tanak will probably win 5/6 rallies himself, and then you've got Ogier, Neuville etc). Loeb has also said he has a contract to help the team/Neuville. At Citroen he was there for fun first and foremost, the manufacturers or drivers titles didn't matter. If Hyundai are paying him a lot of €€€ then he has to make sure he does the job required.

Only reason you had Evans win an event with the fiesta was because of tyres - that's clear as day. Lappi won in Finland due to Latvala's retirement and Toyota having a totally dominant car there in 2017 (reflected by Juhos pace too). Latvala and Meeke have won events in the Toyota and C3 because Latvala was mentally sound in 2017 and always been an event winner, and Meeke had a win or bust approach and has always been one of the faster drivers until he crashes. Tanak won in the Fiesta because he was on a huge upward trajectory as a driver. Mikkelsen could've even won an event or two in the Hyundai if he didn't hit problems in Australia in 2017, and maybe in Sardinia/Portugal too? Maybe that's being generous to Mikkelsen but it is small margins.

So yes the i20 needs work but not as much as some make out. Mikkelsen just isn't in the top tier of drivers imo. He had terrible pace in the c3 on gravel, and terrible pace with the Hyundai on tarmac. And can't beat Neuville on gravel rallies even when he's had road position advantage. It's time he steps up to the plate, after all he was brought in to challenge for a drivers title alongside Thierry, not be a safe pts scorer like Sordo/Paddon. The fact he's now judged against Sordo/Paddon/Loeb etc says it all, while Neuville continues to demolish him on an almost event by event basis.

mknight
22nd February 2019, 05:55
Yes! I looked through the wall of text to find your favourite wording and you didn't disappoint. Just instead of domination you used demolish this time.

To stick to your words.. Loeb is being demolished by Neuville and in Sweden even by Mikkelsen (while Mikkelsen in Sweden was closer to Neuville than last year). Off course Loeb now is not the same like 6 years ago, but he is a level slower than last year. Anyway Corsica will be the first event that can be directly compared, but I somehow doubt he'll have top 3 stagetimes whole rally like in C3.

EstWRC
22nd February 2019, 06:01
i really admire your determination and nevergiveup attitude

GravelBen
22nd February 2019, 06:40

I just wonder if he's getting paid for it!

N.O.T
22nd February 2019, 10:11

its british autism... nothing to do with determination and other positive values.

AnttiL
22nd February 2019, 13:16
Dani Sordo is driving the Rali Serras di Fafe with the R5 car this weekend. The rally consists mostly of the WRC Rally Portugal Sunday roads. Does this imply Sordo is not going to do Rally Portugal because this would be considered as an extra recce round? Or have I understood this wrong?

tommeke_B
22nd February 2019, 13:20
It's not an extra/illegal recce imo. Not Sordo's fault that they're using the same roads.

Googol
22nd February 2019, 13:30
I can't imagine rules where that would be allowed and which at the same time couldn't be abused.

AnttiL
22nd February 2019, 13:33
Not Sordo's fault that they're using the same roads.

What do you mean? If you're taking part in the rally of Fafe, you might have a guess at which stages you're going to do...I don't remember when they published the route though.

tommeke_B
22nd February 2019, 13:44
What do you mean? If you're taking part in the rally of Fafe, you might have a guess at which stages you're going to do...I don't remember when they published the route though.

In France, one or 2 weeks before Rallye d'Antibes, there's another small event which uses exactly the same stages. Lots of drivers drive both every year. It has never been considered illegal recce. I think, when in an organized event, it is no problem. IF you were doing a private test on a piece of stage-road, that would be a completely different story. Also where should you draw the line then, you could exclude nearly all local competitors for Rally Portugal...