PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai WRT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Fast Eddie WRC
7th November 2022, 18:09
So it was only going to be a part-season anyway. Then Tanak went and they didnt want him for the full season.

SubaruNorway
7th November 2022, 18:23
Then Lappi became free and also information on the Yaris comes with that so...

wyler
7th November 2022, 18:25
Yes, i have.
He had a contract for 6 races, they been agreed for "a while", just missing the signature.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

that's not a contract...

AnttiL
7th November 2022, 18:27
Then Lappi became free and also information on the Yaris comes with that so...

But I don't understand, how does Lappi taking Tänak's seat affect Mikkelsen's contract to drive as Sordo's pair? Unless they were planning to share the second car seat as well?

skarderud
7th November 2022, 18:34
that's not a contract...If you have a mutual agreement, writed several versions to make it fit both parts, just missing the last signature, you probably had a vocal deal on it too and some handshakes, it can be discussed in court, so well, without the details its hard to say.
But i dont understand why Tänaks departure change everything? And was Tänaks goodbye a total surprise to Hyundai? And, the lack of a strong teamboss makes this mess?

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

seb_sh
7th November 2022, 19:02
Maybe Sordo was going to retire and changed his mind? Or Suninen sweetened the deal with his performance or other means?

EDIT: Or Sordo was going to do 4, Mikkelsen 6 and the rest Suninen?

EstWRC
7th November 2022, 19:17
But I don't understand, how does Lappi taking Tänak's seat affect Mikkelsen's contract to drive as Sordo's pair? Unless they were planning to share the second car seat as well?

thats also my guess, but after they got Lappi together with his Toyota knowledge they changed the plans.

BTW Antti - clean your inbox ;)

AnttiL
7th November 2022, 19:39
BTW Antti - clean your inbox ;)

Damn, the inbox gets full so quickly and nothing really tells me, especially when using Tapatalk. But done now :)

flat_right
7th November 2022, 21:58

You mean Mikkelsen was planned to share a seat with Tänak?

Lead
8th November 2022, 07:25
That Mikkelsen and Hyundai situation sounds really unprofessional. From both sides.

AnttiL
8th November 2022, 07:33
You mean Mikkelsen was planned to share a seat with Tänak?

No, my guess was that they planned to have Neuville, Breen/Mikkelsen and Sordo/Suninen or something like that, but then they got Lappi for full season.

flat_right
8th November 2022, 07:35
That Mikkelsen and Hyundai situation sounds really unprofessional. From both sides.

Teams can decide who will drive for them. Even contracts that have been signed usually include some exit clause. But I don't understand how does this help Mikkelsen if he throws this info out to media NOW. Maybe in a couple of months, when everything has settled down and seats are confirmed, you can "promote" yourself with this kind of info but now? Who wants to work with you now?

AnttiL
8th November 2022, 07:36
Teams can decide who will drive for them. Even contracts that have been signed usually include some exit clause. But I don't understand how does this help Mikkelsen if he throws this info out to media NOW. Maybe in a couple of months, when everything has settled down and seats are confirmed, you can "promote" yourself with this kind of info but now? Who wants to work with you now?

He needs to tell everyone he's now a free agent and was almost signed by a works team

flat_right
8th November 2022, 07:41
He needs to tell everyone he's now a free agent and was almost signed by a works team

Have Wilson and Millner blocked his number and can't tell privately? :D Or who else would care?

It has been said many times that Thierry is the one who arranges the drivers in Hyundai. So he didn't/couldn't pick his friend Andreas?

TWRC
8th November 2022, 07:41
BTW, do I remember correctly that Mikkelsen wanted to sue Hyundai the last time around he was there, because he was not used on all rounds? After this (if true), I don't think they will ever talk to each other :D

seb_sh
8th November 2022, 08:23
Have Wilson and Millner blocked his number and can't tell privately? :D Or who else would care?

It has been said many times that Thierry is the one who arranges the drivers in Hyundai. So he didn't/couldn't pick his friend Andreas?

Yes well it's free to say anything, I think the rumors of Thierry being the absolute dictator in Hyundai are maybe a bit exagerated or maybe Andreas forgot Thierry's birthday. Maybe Thierry has influence but doesn't do what he wants. It's all nuance.

seb_sh
8th November 2022, 08:30
No, my guess was that they planned to have Neuville, Breen/Mikkelsen and Sordo/Suninen or something like that, but then they got Lappi for full season.

Maybe it was more fluid and evolved as they were talking to people, for example a hypothesis:

After Tanak told them, they startedtalking to everybody and the plan kept changing. The first target was probably Evans but he wasn't interested/had a contract, then they wanted something like you said, Mikkelsen/Breen and Sordo/Suninen but maybe Breen and MSport decided to stick together one more year so then Hyundai ask Lappi but he said he only comes if it's for a full year so they decide he's good enough as number 2 and brings Toyota knowledge. So then they have to pick who shares with Sordo but they already have Suninen there and a mixed schedule fits nicely.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th November 2022, 09:13
If Lappi has the full season replacing Tanak then nothing should've changed for Mikkelsen (sharing the 3rd car).

Maybe after Tanak left Mikkelsen thought he was on for replacing him and that is what Hyundai weren't in touch about. The part-season may still happen.

pettersolberg29
9th November 2022, 10:44

Not sure how strong that friendship is - after all it was Thierry who pushed Andreas out of Hyundai the first time!

focus206
9th November 2022, 11:20
Got to love all these conspiracy theories on Neuville deciding who's the next Hyundai driver, kicking out Mikkelsen, being the chief engineer and chief designer and probably the Hyundai CEO in Korea.

seb_sh
9th November 2022, 11:45
Got to love all these conspiracy theories on Neuville deciding who's the next Hyundai driver, kicking out Mikkelsen, being the chief engineer and chief designer and probably the Hyundai CEO in Korea.

you laugh now but you won't be laughing when the new "Hyundai Thierry" comes out to a dealer near you! :D

pettersolberg29
9th November 2022, 11:57

I know someone inside the team and even after just one day it's pretty known that all these things aren't just conspiracy theories...

focus206
9th November 2022, 12:30
I know someone inside the team and even after just one day it's pretty known that that's all these things aren't just conspiracy theories... ��

Yes, and Wuorela was 100% sure from a trustable source that Hyundai was going to retire at the end of 2021...

Fast Eddie WRC
9th November 2022, 12:48
Line-up confirmation coming soon... and Moncet knew Tanak was leaving before Rally Spain:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyundais-2023-driver-lineup-expected-next-week/

becher
9th November 2022, 12:50
I know someone inside the team and even after just one day it's pretty known that that's all these things aren't just conspiracy theories... 🧐

Wow, Neville is surly the most talented man in motorsport history then. Top driver, top engineer and CEO of a huge car company. That is unrivaled success!

pettersolberg29
9th November 2022, 12:50
Yes, and Wuorela was 100% sure from a trustable source that Hyundai was going to retire at the end of 2021...

I get it, hard to trust unknown randomers on a forum - I probably wouldn't! You can believe me or not, but all the info will come out one day I'm sure! I'm just glad people are starting to see the real truth about this guy.

focus206
9th November 2022, 13:33
I get it, hard to trust unknown randomers on a forum - I probably wouldn't! You can believe me or not, but all the info will come out one day I'm sure! I'm just glad people are starting to see the real truth about this guy.

When one makes up conspiracy theories, they have to be realistic, there is an art in lying. If you put up an ad offering an iPhone for 2 euros, nobody will click on it, because they'll immediately know it's a scam.
Suggesting that a team listens more to one driver's feedback is realistic, it has happened. Suggesting that a driver basically decides who the company hires (lol), fires other drivers (lol) and is responsible for the car's poor reliability (lol) is not realistic. Unless you were Ove Andersson, both driver and team principal of Toyota.

flat_right
9th November 2022, 13:39
focus206, but what about Tänak saying that he is “not like my team-mate” Thierry Neuville who is “organizing the drivers in the team”?

focus206
9th November 2022, 14:02
focus206, but what about Tänak saying that he is “not like my team-mate” Thierry Neuville who is “organizing the drivers in the team”?

Tanak can say what he wants, he said he was going to drive a Hyundai for sure next year... I think his biggest dislike was that the i20 was developed more to Neuville's liking, which is the only thing I find believable.
Can Neuville pitch a preference of teammate to higher-ups? Of course, they probably trust him enough as he's been at Hyundai forever, unfortunately. Can Neuville decide who drives, who gets released and control everything behind the scene like the master of puppets? That's just paranoia.

lmmjvss
9th November 2022, 14:15
At this point Im just cheering for Lappi to win the world title with Hyundai and go like "Eh, the car is really good, idk why all the drama" :P

cali
9th November 2022, 15:10
Again, I've heard similar stuff about Neuville and his special politics inside of Hyundai back in 2019 already.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

AnttiL
9th November 2022, 15:29
At this point Im just cheering for Lappi to win the world title with Hyundai and go like "Eh, the car is really good, idk why all the drama" :P

”To be honest, …”

TypeR
9th November 2022, 15:37
”To be honest, …”
How are you so fast with this car??
,,To be honest, it's the driver..''

:D

Eli
10th November 2022, 09:10
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/moncets-wrc-future-in-question/

Seems like it's Moncet's last rally with the team.

On his (seems to be personal) fb page he wrote 4 days ago: 'Not the last 2022 trip but definitely the last rally (this year and...).
Let's enjoy a trip through Taipei and Tokyo before ending up this amazing season on a high.'

Interesting days ahead of us.

AnttiL
10th November 2022, 09:12
Last rally with the team? Or last rally as deputy team leader? He still has his main job as the drivetrain manager?

seb_sh
10th November 2022, 09:15
Last rally with the team? Or last rally as deputy team leader? He still has his main job as the drivetrain manager?

Neuvile to be confirmed team principal and chief engineer after Japan. of course now it all makes sense.

Also starting next year he will co-drive himself.

spyros
10th November 2022, 09:21
Neuvile to be confirmed team principal and chief engineer after Japan. of course now it all makes sense.

co-drive himself................... you have humor to be honest.....................

flat_right
10th November 2022, 09:22

Now, when Moncet is/will be gone, will Neuville hire Tänak back and this was just a "game" that Tänak leaves.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th November 2022, 17:28
“If everything is fine then next week we will be able to announce something,” Hyundai deputy team director Julien Moncet told Autosport.

“This is still to be confirmed but hopefully that is something we can achieve. Obviously our focus right now is Rally Japan because we want to achieve a good result.

“Honestly speaking not everything is finished. We want to wait for all the confirmations.

“For sure [I’m happy with the driver-line-up]. We have lost Ott which is a big loss for us and this has changed or upset a little bit our plans, but there are some other opportunities.

“I think we have come up with something quite solid and interesting, and I’m looking forward to it.”

Sergiow
10th November 2022, 19:24
Ott Tanak, crowned World Champion in 2019 with Toyota, will leave the Hyundai Motorsport team at the end of this Rally Japan. The Estonian pilot detailed his choice at the microphone of Olivier Gaspard, the special envoy of the RTBF in Japan.

"I'm leaving Hyundai for several reasons, a lot of things have happened during this long season, said Ott Tanak. Let's say it's better like that. Three wins this season? I'm not counting wins, but rather world titles It was not an easy reaction to take, but I think I made the right choice. My relationship with Thierry has nothing to do with it, it was good to fight with him. I tried to try my best, but we didn't manage to be strong enough to fight for the title. As for my future, for the moment, I have nothing. After this rally, we will take a little rest , and we'll see what happens next."
https://www.rtbf.be/article/ott-tanak-fait-ses-adieux-a-hyundai-au-japon-une-decision-difficile-et-thierry-n-a-rien-a-voir-la-dedans-11101918

EstWRC
13th November 2022, 05:07
Amazing turn around with the second half of the season. With first 4 races it seemed they are so lost and there isn’t hope

Actually their best ever season with 5 wins. They have never had as much in one season

But still a lot of work to do. The car isn’t on Toyotas level yet IMO

Eli
13th November 2022, 05:24
Amazing turn around with the second half of the season. With first 4 races it seemed they are so lost and there isn’t hope

Actually their best ever season with 5 wins. They have never had as much in one season

That’s what happens when you have Tänak in your car, nothing is impossible. I mean with all due respect to Neuville, he never had a team mate who could challenge him until 2020 and I’m assuming if not for covid, we would’ve seen this happen earlier. Great shame we can’t see him help develop the car further as I’m sure they’d match the level of that Yaris.

Danny0405
13th November 2022, 19:40

Well, the second part of season is clearly excellent and shows their great technical skills. Also shows that clearly, the reason for their bad beginning of the season is the bad timing of decision of the brand to go to the new regulation.
Hopefully for Toyota that Tanak leaves the team, else it could have been very difficult to face them next season (and not sure for Tanak it’s a good decision if he wanted to follow his career in 2023 and if his exit is not for personal reasons); only point is that they made a lot of evolutions this year (maybe Toyota is more preparing long-term evolutions thanks to their early margin).

In last 6 rallies:
- In Rally1, 4 wins including a 1-2 and a 1-2-3 (and could have been another 1-2 without Neuville mistake in Ypres) and they made podium in the 2 other rallies.
- in Rally2, 3 class wins + 1 administrative-lost one

Fast Eddie WRC
14th November 2022, 12:39
Neuville on Tanak:
“But I understood he hasn’t signed anything yet. So maybe he’s coming back, I don’t know.”

AnttiL
14th November 2022, 13:40
Neuville on Tanak:
“But I understood he hasn’t signed anything yet. So maybe he’s coming back, I don’t know.”

What a plot twist that would be! :D

TypeR
14th November 2022, 13:41
As a team principal and send Neuville away .. :D

drive
14th November 2022, 15:39
“I think the strongest team-mate has unfortunately left the team. So what we can do?” Neuville said.

“We keep fighting, we were both fighting together. He gave up a bit earlier than me.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-kind-of-driver-does-hyundai-want/

denkimi
14th November 2022, 15:45
That’s what happens when you have Tänak in your car, nothing is impossible. I mean with all due respect to Neuville, he never had a team mate who could challenge him until 2020 and I’m assuming if not for covid, we would’ve seen this happen earlier. Great shame we can’t see him help develop the car further as I’m sure they’d match the level of that Yaris.
There's only a 12 point difference in the championship between tanak and neuville.
Compare that to the 121 points difference between rovanpera and evan.
Even ogier+lappi only have 155 points.

Rovanpera has carried toyota, without him they would have had neither title. But neither tanak nor neuville has carried hyundai alone.

Eli
14th November 2022, 15:52
There's only a 12 point difference in the championship between Tänak and Neuville.
Compare that to the 121 points difference between Rovanperä and Evans.
Even Ogier+Lappi only have 155 points.

Rovanperä has carried Toyota, without him they would have had neither title. But neither Tänak nor Neuville has carried Hyundai alone.

Yes I'm aware, I didn't talk about Toyota though and I'm not saying Neuville didn't deliver, I'm just referencing the fact that you can't ask for a better (results-wise) team mate than Tänak, as you said yourself, Evans & Co. were miles off Rovanperä this season, to the extent that Evans didn't win any event(s).

mknight
14th November 2022, 16:33
There was an interview with Solberg this weekend:

https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/solberg-apner-om-farens-sjokkreaksjon-aldri-sett-noe-lignende/s/5-95-739137

Besides the usual lack of self-insight "I was beating everything in the lower categories" there is only one interesting thing.

He says one of his teammates at Hyundai was "not the nicest person "...."even daddy (Petter) has never met such people before".

I don't think it was Sordo since he was giving him lot of advices and helped with recce and notes when he was not starting. So that leaves two drivers.

cali
14th November 2022, 17:01

https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/solberg-apner-om-farens-sjokkreaksjon-aldri-sett-noe-lignende/s/5-95-739137

Besides the usual lack of self-insight "I was beating everything in the lower categories" there is only one interesting thing.

He says one of his teammates at Hyundai was "not the nicest person "...."even daddy (Petter) has never met such people before".

I don't think it was Sordo since he was giving him lot of advices and helped with recce and notes when he was not starting. So that leaves two drivers.Definitely not Sordo

Galev62
14th November 2022, 17:25
Maybe Ott and Thierry wont be so nice to you if the situation is already hard and you are the one making stupid mistakes. I know that Ott and Thierry are big competitors and want to win always… This lack of self-insight will plague his devlopment. He really needs someone from outside to help with this because it seems that Petter and Pernilla arent realistic with Oliver like Harri was with Kalle.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th November 2022, 17:34
Tanak specifically said that Oliver had had a tough time as a junior in the struggling team... and "I didnt send Oliver away".

WRCStan
14th November 2022, 18:19
I'll bet it is the guy who said there was a solution to continue in Monte despite not providing a solution to the car filling with exhaust fumes over several services.

focus206
14th November 2022, 18:29
Tanak specifically said that Oliver had had a tough time as a junior in the struggling team... and "I didnt send Oliver away".

And Neuville said in an interview he would like Oliver in the team in a fourth car...

tuuli101
14th November 2022, 19:01
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221114/439bf72f238374a0ddf3f07cb3c65d09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SubaruNorway
14th November 2022, 19:24
Might be the one that didn't want to pay his co driver 2500€ a month during covid even if there was no events.

1988senna
14th November 2022, 23:09

I don't think it was Sordo since he was giving him lot of advices and helped with recce and notes when he was not starting. So that leaves two drivers.

It can only be Neuville,He sent his dissatisfaction to Solberg. At that time, Solberg retired from the race because of the gas leak in the car. He said that Solberg should insist on racing for the team.

Managarium
15th November 2022, 16:36
Suninen will drive a Hyundai next year – but isn’t sure which

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/suninen-will-drive-a-hyundai-next-year-but-isnt-sure-which/

Rallyest
16th November 2022, 08:47

To state what everyone else has already sayd, it had to be Neuville. Since in a dirtfish interview Tänak sayd he heard about Solberg being kicked out from Petter via text.

Why would Petter text Tänak if Tänak was the one who pushed Solberg out and was bad with him

mknight
16th November 2022, 09:03
To state what everyone else has already sayd, it had to be Neuville. Since in a dirtfish interview Tänak sayd he heard about Solberg being kicked out from Petter via text.

Why would Petter text Tänak if Tänak was the one who pushed Solberg out and was bad with him

Solberg is not saying that some driver pushed him out of the team.

Just saying that one driver in the team was not "nice" to work with. Which on first look sounds more like Tanak from the rumors that are around.

But in second part of sentence Oliver says that Petter has not seen behavior like that before either, which then points more to Neuville.

Rallyest
16th November 2022, 09:07
Solberg is not saying that some driver pushed him out of the team.

Just saying that one driver in the team was not "nice" to work with. Which on first look sounds more like Tanak from the rumors that are around.

But in second part of sentence Oliver says that Petter has not seen behavior like that before either, which then points more to Neuville.

My logic still stands, why would Petter text and talk with Tänak if he was rude with his son?

wyler
16th November 2022, 11:09
My logic still stands, why would Petter text and talk with Tänak if he was rude with his son?

on pure theoretical point, to ask about it?

becher
16th November 2022, 12:58
Also we need to talk into account that Petter is the father of Olivier. What happened might not have been a big thing but as a parent you might see it differently.

Eli
16th November 2022, 14:41
https://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/wrc/2022/11/16/le-francais-cyril-abiteboul-ex-renault-f1-nouveau-patron-de-neuville-chez-hyundai-KH5DP7HAMVCPJCXFHK7GEQFRE4/

Crazy if it's true, guess we'll soon find out.

er88
16th November 2022, 14:50
https://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/wrc/2022/11/16/le-francais-cyril-abiteboul-ex-renault-f1-nouveau-patron-de-neuville-chez-hyundai-KH5DP7HAMVCPJCXFHK7GEQFRE4/

Crazy if it's true, guess we'll soon find out.Oh dear.

AndyRAC
16th November 2022, 15:11
Oh dear exactly.....Is that the best they can do?

pettersolberg29
16th November 2022, 15:12
To state what everyone else has already said, it had to be Neuville. Since in a dirtfish interview Tänak says he heard about Solberg being kicked out from Petter via text.

Just to confirm, it is Neuville...

Tanak is good friends with the Solbergs.

pettersolberg29
16th November 2022, 15:14
Oh dear exactly.....Is that the best they can do?

It's tricky because who would want to go there right now? Car might be getting results finally, but the team is still in a big mess with a lot of senior and important members/engineers/mechanics leaving at the end of the season - plus who knows how long the job will last if Hyundai pull the plug?

1988senna
16th November 2022, 15:19

Crazy if it's true, guess we'll soon find out.

Hyundai will end by 2025??

mknight
16th November 2022, 15:37
Hyundai will end by 2025??

Sounds a bit like Citroen who were vocal for quite long they would leave after 2020 due to no hybrid....then left a year earlier when Ogier left.

WRCStan
16th November 2022, 17:48
"Moreover, our customers can identify with the car as it is based on a production model and not some engineering fantasy.... Our competitors in the production cars market are similar to the ones we have in the WRC and that makes the challenge potentially rewarding."

"Entering the WRC is rather part of a broader development... Hyundai Motorsport is thought to become an engineering platform for commercialization of performance cars. By transferring emotive and performance learning from the WRC car to the production cars, and by that getting some ROI, it is the first step of making the Hyundai Motorsport somewhat similar to what AMG has been to Mercedes"

Director of Marketing & PR at Hyundai Motorsport, Stefan Ph. Henrich talking to Hans Erik Næss in 2013. (The promotional value of motorsport culture: a sociological investigation of the FIA World Rally Championship)

1988senna
17th November 2022, 00:26
Sounds a bit like Citroen who were vocal for quite long they would leave after 2020 due to no hybrid....then left a year earlier when Ogier left.

wow so maybe it will end in 2024.but the WRC didn't say there will be no hybrid after 2025

flat_right
17th November 2022, 06:42
So today should be Hyundai's announcement.

Neuville
Lappi
Sordo/Suninen

Too obvious?

AnttiL
17th November 2022, 06:56

Neuville
Lappi
Sordo/Suninen

Too obvious?

either that or then Sordo/Breen, can't really see other options.

1988senna
17th November 2022, 07:50

Neuville
Lappi
Sordo/Suninen

Too obvious?

Today? Before 24:00?

Eli
17th November 2022, 07:53
Today? Before 24:00?

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-leaves-m-sport-set-for-hyundai-return/

TypeR
17th November 2022, 08:25
Neuville, Sordo, Lappi, Breen, Suninen..
Neuville full season and other guys sharing two cars?
I doubt Suninen is okay with only rally2 again..

spyros
17th November 2022, 08:34
Neuville, Sordo, Lappi, Breen, Suninen..
Neuville full season and other guys sharing two cars?
I doubt Suninen is okay with only rally2 again..

I think Neuville Lappi Breen fuel season and Sordo Suninen sharing 1 car.

TypeR
17th November 2022, 08:38
I understood that they won't put out 4 cars next season..

But oh well, hopefully will see soon :D

AnttiL
17th November 2022, 09:13
I think Neuville Lappi Breen fuel season and Sordo Suninen sharing 1 car.

That's one car too much.

240RS
17th November 2022, 09:21
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-leaves-m-sport-set-for-hyundai-return/

This has to be classed as a shock move!

Thierry does struggle on the high speed gravel (Estonia, Finland), but you can't really see why Hyundai would want to go after a driver without a single world rally win for such a plum seat. He has been average at best all season, and am even being a touch kind. At this stage someone should just handover the manufacturers title for 2023 to the only real contender!!!!

wyler
17th November 2022, 10:53
This has to be classed as a shock move!

Thierry does struggle on the high speed gravel (Estonia, Finland), but you can't really see why Hyundai would want to go after a driver without a single world rally win for such a plum seat. He has been average at best all season, and am even being a touch kind. At this stage someone should just handover the manufacturers title for 2023 to the only real contender!!!!

why not? Average is what they need! Breen has shown his comfort zone is behind the top tier driver, not among them. and that's what is supposed to do. part-time 3rd driver. According to plans, he's just a backup when the other two pick up troubles. if not, he's supposed to be behind them...

WRCStan
17th November 2022, 11:09
Has anything official come from Hyundai or Sordo himself that he's staying on? Lots of assumptions going on when officially he was retiring.

Rallyest
17th November 2022, 11:10
Has anything official come from Hyundai or Sordo himself that he's staying on? Lots of assumptions going on when officially he was retiring.

Was it Dirtfish, but somewhere was talk about Sordo doing 8 rallies next year, i guess people took it from there

AnttiL
17th November 2022, 11:38
I think it was Marca or other Spanish magazine reporting about eight rallies. Also fits with what Mikkelsen said about being offered six rallies.

mknight
17th November 2022, 11:40
I think it was Marca or other Spanish magazine reporting about eight rallies. Also fits with what Mikkelsen said about being offered six rallies.

But that was before Lappi came in.

I quite doubt 8 rallies are on the table for Sordo now.

Rallyest
17th November 2022, 11:45
But that was before Lappi came in.

I quite doubt 8 rallies are on the table for Sordo now.

How would Lappi change Sordo's Options, Lappi takes Tänaks seat, It shouldnt alter Sordo, only thing altering it who will be sharing a car with him and what rallies is that guy strong on

mknight
17th November 2022, 12:06
How would Lappi change Sordo's Options, Lappi takes Tänaks seat, It shouldnt alter Sordo, only thing altering it who will be sharing a car with him and what rallies is that guy strong on

Before Lappi the likely combination was Sordo 8, Mikkelsen 6+ and a combination of Suninen, Breen and maybe Meeke with 4+ starts each. Moncet basically even said as much in interviews.

Provided Lappi does full season, Sordo is definitely not the best candidate out of those 4 for all 8 rallies. His speed this season has been a huge drop from WRC cars and there does not seem to be any magic improvement (no matter what Colin Clark writes about one stage time in Spain).
On slippery tarmac (Monte, Japan) and slippery gravel I would rate basically all the 3 drivers above Sordo. Similarly on rough gravel all 3 have decent records.

But it can come down to what kind of risk you want. Sordo is now slow, but doesn't crash, so you know what you are getting.

All the others have their own specific unknowns (Breen terrible recent record, Suninen mixed recent record and no Rally1 experience, Mikkelsen no Rally1 experience and longer period outside top category).

Also depends what instructions is Lappi getting. Whether he is instructed to go for it or to keep it steady behind Neuville. Also Suninen bringing Joukhis money can be a factor.

AnttiL
17th November 2022, 12:16
For sure I would keep Sordo. Experience from the car and experience from rallies. For example Lappi hasn't been to Safari or Japan. You could put Breen and Suninen in the same car but they have the same favourable rallies (and similar crash risk). Meanwhile, either of them makes a perfect pair for Sordo.

I understood Mikkelsen is out of the game and Meeke seems like only British rumors, it cannot make any sense.

Also, I doubt Lappi would go to Hyundai for anything else than a full season.

mknight
17th November 2022, 15:18
I am not saying they should drop Sordo completely, but I am questioning that they should offer him 8 starts.

With regard to Suninen pairing with Sordo. One big point against it is that Suninen actually has pretty bad record from the fast rallies where Sordo is bad.
Best is 4th from Finland 2017 and only once since then has he been in any podium fight on them (Sweden 2019). Two WRC2 fastest rallies in Finland but that's against much less competition. His actually best results are from slow gravel.

AnttiL
17th November 2022, 15:40
With regard to Suninen pairing with Sordo. One big point against it is that Suninen actually has pretty bad record from the fast rallies where Sordo is bad.
Best is 4th from Finland 2017 and only once since then has he been in any podium fight on them (Sweden 2019). Two WRC2 fastest rallies in Finland but that's against much less competition. His actually best results are from slow gravel.

And that has nothing to do with Fiesta WRC being especially bad on fast events from 2018 onwards?

er88
17th November 2022, 15:56
I am not saying they should drop Sordo completely, but I am questioning that they should offer him 8 starts.

Best is 4th from Finland 2017 and only once since then has he been in any podium fight on them (Sweden 2019). Two WRC2 fastest rallies in Finland but that's against much less competition. His actually best results are from slow gravel.You can't just blindly look at stats all the time without factoring in reasons for those results.

TypeR
17th November 2022, 16:11
2018 Fiesta so bad, that Ogier only got 4 wins(equal to Tänak) and a WDC..

mknight
17th November 2022, 16:20
And that has nothing to do with Fiesta WRC being especially bad on fast events from 2018 onwards?

Sure it may.
But when a driver "likes" some events but doesn't have results on them, there is no guarantee he will have results in a different car.

AnttiL
17th November 2022, 16:25
2018 Fiesta so bad, that Ogier only got 4 wins(equal to Tänak) and a WDC..

On fast rallies.

mknight
17th November 2022, 16:33
What I would do if the case was between these 3 or 4 drivers would be to use 3 drivers with 4-5 rounds each.

As listed each has own risks. This would spread the risk and avoid them getting "stuck" with someone. But most rounds should be set for each driver from the start. Not the "Adamo" approach of kicking drivers Sunday evening after a rally (Loeb Monte 2020, Mikkelsen Chile 2019).

TypeR
17th November 2022, 16:38
but then what about Neuville?
Last podium in Finland was 2013 with Fiesta.
9 years later and still no podium in Finland with Hyundai.
Tänak came to team, 2021 first ever podiums with Breen(for Hyundai) in Finland and 2022 victory.

Can't blame only the car I think..

Yes, it wasn't on the same performance level as Toyota, but the overal rather bad results weren't only because of that.
Quite same as with Loubet in Hyundai.. some weird/older aero /spec didn't drive the car offroad..

RS
17th November 2022, 19:33
"Moreover, our customers can identify with the car as it is based on a production model and not some engineering fantasy....

No longer applies.

Andre Oliveira
18th November 2022, 06:54
Official

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/2023-wrc-line-up-revealed/

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/collage-driver-23-.jpg

240RS
18th November 2022, 07:13
Hyundai's PR statement is revealing:

"Craig returns to the team fully motivated and secures an enviably talented line-up to support Thierry and Esapekka." - Is that all they think of Craig??? Surely his stock has fallen.

"With Thierry, we know his performance potential and his appetite to fight for the drivers’ title. With Esapekka joining the team on a full-time campaign, we have a driver line-up that can compete for the top positions at all events and on all surfaces." - We know officially who the number 1 driver is. And who is number 2.

“Experience has been the number one priority for our 2023 WRC line-up. With Thierry, Esapekka, Dani and Craig, we have a strong combination of drivers who can lead us into a new season." - No youngsters required here. Or novices at this level.

mknight
18th November 2022, 07:16
So in the end no real surprises...hopefully we will get those with MSport and Tanak.

Hyundai observations:
- nothing about how many events Sordo vs Breen get

- Neuville's wish list before Japan was Evans, Mikkelsen,Sordo. He got one of them. Which brings me to DF commenting this was the best they could get...nope, they should have tried hard to get Evans.

- 2/4 drivers were "kicked" by their other teams

Managarium
18th November 2022, 07:19
Well, that is a certain change of priorities for Breen. Remember last year when he was always talking about that his goal was a full season.
Now the part-time season is acceptable.

Rallyest
18th November 2022, 07:36
https://sport.postimees.ee/7588154/lappi-naeris-voimaluse-hyundai-eest-soita-valja-ma-oleks-pigem-kodus?fbclid=IwAR0eEfxUHdNRQP2ncdZg32Ia71UEG04v0Pj klTdJjpFaJmAkamBJWpkk8qU

Didnt find the english version, but this aged well for Lappi

bandit12
18th November 2022, 07:44
Well... What will Suninen do now?

jonkka
18th November 2022, 07:49

Continue with Hyundai Rally2 project and bide his time.

mknight
18th November 2022, 08:01
Question is who will run the car. Surely not Tanaks RedGrey?

Maybe KOWAX?

1988senna
18th November 2022, 08:09
Question is who will run the car. Surely not Tanaks RedGrey?

Maybe KOWAX?

What kind of job did the RedGrey do. How can RedGreymake money. sorry for not very similar with that

mknight
18th November 2022, 08:15
RedGrey is a "customer" team owned by Tanak/Martin that was running Hyundai Rally2 cars for Suninen (and Solberg and Veiby before) for last two years.

EDIT: My understanding is that RedGrey is paid to run the cars by a combination of Hyundai money and money from the drivers.

EstWRC
18th November 2022, 08:17
What kind of job did the RedGrey do. How can RedGreymake money. sorry for not very similar with that

Do you know the search engine called Google?

https://redgreyteam.com

Sal yet again
18th November 2022, 08:23
Good solid line up for Hyundai and putting partisan wishes aside for you guys in Norway/Finland that your boys didnt get the gig it makes sense. Who honestly like Breen hasnt started a new job and then found out that the workplace isnt quite what they expected and things didnt work out? Some people aren't born lead guitarists and are happy to play in the rythmn section with the occasional solo and Craig is one of those people. Yes he was going to be enthusiastic about a full season who wouldnt be but is allowed to change his tune. As for Sordo he's a safe pair of hands so that was logical. Biggest pressure is on Lappi but could be what he needs to shine away from the pressure (again) of a Finnish run team. I have a sneaking suspicion that Hyundai might just have the year in '23 they have been looking for.

pettersolberg29
18th November 2022, 09:05
Having a third car shared between Breen and Sordo is a real plus for them. Will probably be the strongest third car in the field - Taka is a nice guy and a decent driver, but Breen and Sordo should be getting podiums on the regular and Taka will probably be lucky to get a couple. Ogier's performances could be key for the manufacturer title fight.

WRC1
18th November 2022, 14:10

wait until Breen gets kicked out (after Sweden) an than join Sordo in shard 3rd Car...

Sal yet again
18th November 2022, 14:31
wait until Breen gets kicked out (after Sweden) an than join Sordo in shard 3rd Car...

Jeez did he steal your dinner money at school? Having said that with Hyundai's current reputation you never know..

focus206
18th November 2022, 15:07
- Neuville's wish list before Japan was Evans, Mikkelsen,Sordo. He got one of them. Which brings me to DF commenting this was the best they could get...nope, they should have tried hard to get Evans.

"Neuville decides who drives at Hyundai" lol

mknight
18th November 2022, 15:22
Jeez did he steal your dinner money at school? Having said that with Hyundai's current reputation you never know..

MSport actually has most recent history of dropping drivers mid season:
2022 MSport Fourmaux NZ (and also Japan and Greece, but with excuses)
2021 MSport Suninen Greece+

Hyundai is 2020 Loeb Sweden and before that 2019 Mikkelsen Portugal, but both of them did drive rallies for them later that year. Suninen did not, Fourmaux got Catalunya then got dropped again.

becher
18th November 2022, 19:29
"Neuville decides who drives at Hyundai" lol
Partisan crowd will be partisan.

rp
18th November 2022, 19:56
Lappi was without the doubt the best available 2nd driver and Breen was doing great in Hyundai before, so not a big surprise he was selected.

The i20 seems to be good now and with this line-up it will be impossible for Toyota to dominate Manufacturer´s Championship like this year. If Evans is not able to drive much better next year there will be two Hyundais on the podium almost all the time and now there is a lot of pressure for Katsuta to deliver results. Sordo and Breen are faster than him, but Ogier is faster than Hyundai 3rd driver, so it will be interesting battle.

Shame for Suninen and Mikkelsen, but at least they have some job to do.

240RS
19th November 2022, 09:40
Lappi was without the doubt the best available 2nd driver and Breen was doing great in Hyundai before, so not a big surprise he was selected.

The i20 seems to be good now and with this line-up it will be impossible for Toyota to dominate Manufacturer´s Championship like this year. If Evans is not able to drive much better next year there will be two Hyundais on the podium almost all the time and now there is a lot of pressure for Katsuta to deliver results. Sordo and Breen are faster than him, but Ogier is faster than Hyundai 3rd driver, so it will be interesting battle.

Shame for Suninen and Mikkelsen, but at least they have some job to do.

Lappi was no match for Rovanpera on gravel. And certainly wouldn't be expected to top Ogier on tarmac. Evans is generally accepted to hold the edge on Esapekka. Which means Hyundai got the fourth best driver from Toyota. My drift: It will be a minor miracle if the South Korean manufacturer were to win the makes title in 2023.

As for the Breen/Sordo car, how will they be expected to be significant players when the first 5 positions can only be obtained via misfortunes/problems for others???

dimviii
19th November 2022, 13:34
Andrea Adamo Reviews Hyundai’s 2022 WRC Season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsiP85ZkFI

AndersX
19th November 2022, 13:40
As for the Breen/Sordo car, how will they be expected to be significant players when the first 5 positions can only be obtained via misfortunes/problems for others???

Count out Tanak - even if he gets Msport Works Puma or some private-last-minute project customer Puma, his ability to push for constant top 3 will be very doubtfull. As more time goes as less I understand Tanaks move - almost some Deja Vu from Martins move away from Focus to fading Peogeot. MM decision most probably was money, but in this case it is vice versa. Thus, to me both Hyundai and Toyota teams look good and rather equal. It will be a good fight, at lest for manuf. championship.

steve.mandzij
19th November 2022, 14:17
Lappi was no match for Rovanpera on gravel. And certainly wouldn't be expected to top Ogier on tarmac. Evans is generally accepted to hold the edge on Esapekka. Which means Hyundai got the fourth best driver from Toyota. My drift: It will be a minor miracle if the South Korean manufacturer were to win the makes title in 2023.

As for the Breen/Sordo car, how will they be expected to be significant players when the first 5 positions can only be obtained via misfortunes/problems for others???Challenging your first point, Rovanpera was struggling with the rhythm all weekend in Sardegna while Esapekka (sure, with road position to help) was leading until his accident. EP across a full season would have definitely done better than Evans IMO.

It's a shame he's had to leave Toyota, even if I understand his reasons. He was comfortable in the team and very quick in the car; as far as I know he struggles a lot when the setup isn't optimal, but time will tell if the Hyundai wasn't all that bad or if Tanak is just superhuman.

mknight
19th November 2022, 14:43
... EP across a full season would have definitely done better than Evans IMO.

It's a shame he's had to leave Toyota, even if I understand his reasons.

According to his latest interviews he did not have to leave, but choose to himself.

He wasn't guaranteed exact number of starts but he wasn't getting kicked.

mknight
19th November 2022, 15:14
Andrea Adamo Reviews Hyundai’s 2022 WRC Season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsiP85ZkFI

After a season with highest number of new/young drivers in ages they talk how there are not enough of them.

Even after almost all of them failed (Solberg, Fourmaux, Greensmith, Breen) only Loubet and Katsuta had good seasons.

Lot of people agree that they failed cause they were pushed into new positions too early without previous suceses/experience.

The proposed solution by Clark is to make rules that push them too early in, and by Adamo to allow much more testing. "Unlimited" Toyota and Hyundai testing is what made MSport irrelevant in 2019/2020, the MSport that historically pushes young drives earliest in.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd November 2022, 12:22
Despite leading Hyundai to its most successful season ever in terms of World Rally Championship wins, deputy team director Julien Moncet has all-but admitted he will be replaced for next season.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/moncet-all-but-admits-hell-be-replaced/

I feel for him. He's done a great job in very trying circumstances and been very dignified in doing so. And with no official thanks from the Hyundai management.

Eli
7th December 2022, 07:12
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/abiteboul-will-become-hyundais-new-team-principal/

Seems set.

djip
7th December 2022, 07:22
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/abiteboul-will-become-hyundais-new-team-principal/

Seems set.

Very strange indeed. I like the guy, his personality, but someone with zilch experience of rallying ? Smells like Hyundai switching horsed to circuit racing anytime soon. In which case it would be a smart move ...

TypeR
7th December 2022, 07:23
Could be also one of the reasons why Tanak decided to leave Hyundai..

flat_right
7th December 2022, 08:00
Could be also one of the reasons why Tanak decided to leave Hyundai..

Tänak left because of Abiteboul? Tänak rather left because there was no Abiteboul

AMSS
7th December 2022, 08:25
Tänak left because of Abiteboul? Tänak rather left because there was no Abiteboul

I think he`s referring to the switching to circuit part...

seb_sh
7th December 2022, 08:36
Hehe Cyril is definitely a character, love him or hate him i think his appointment is good for Hyundai and even WRC itself. Also I believe that in that role lack of WRC experience is not that critical, he would be primarily a man manager anyway, if he can put the right team together they can bring the experience.

TypeR
7th December 2022, 08:39
Guy with zero rally experience put to team principal spot basically one month before new season starts doesn't sound too promising, but let's see.

(and maybe he was Neuville's preference as being French.. dnno)

flat_right
7th December 2022, 09:52
I think he`s referring to the switching to circuit part...

Can you explain more - I don't know if I have missed any news but how is Tänak's departure from Hyundai related to Abiteboul and circuits? Or you mean that they wanted to hire someone from who has a circuit background?

wyler
7th December 2022, 10:10
Can you explain more - I don't know if I have missed any news but how is Tänak's departure from Hyundai related to Abiteboul and circuits? Or you mean that they wanted to hire someone from who has a circuit background?

it's just speculation. meaning is: Tanak suspected Hiunday to retire from wrc to go to track stuff, and left.

AMSS
7th December 2022, 10:17
it's just speculation. meaning is: Tanak suspected Hiunday to retire from wrc to go to track stuff, and left.

that`s the speculation yes, and pure speculation nothing else!!

seb_sh
7th December 2022, 12:23
Hyundai is already on the circuits with TCR and ETCR :P Only place they could go is WEC/IMSA but they decided against it, there are no rumors of that at the moment.

EDIT: nevermind here are the rumors: https://the-race.com/formula-1/could-renaults-old-f1-boss-lead-hyundai-to-formula-1/ :D

Kenneth
7th December 2022, 13:17
Yup it's speculated for some time that Hyundai is looking to join F1.

But I don't see it as very realistic thing. Looking into 2026, there is only two "independent" teams that could be sold - HAAS and Williams, and maybe AT.

Imo the first two teams won't be sold anytime soon, as Gene Haas declined to sell the team few times already, and Williams are in hands of investment fund. But Haas is probably down to partnership on similar level as Mclaren - Mercedes or Lotus - Renault in the past.

Still, we know for sure that Porsche and Honda wants to join F1, as well as Andretti. There are also speculations about Hyundai and even about Ford (which is imo more like fans' wish). That's 4 teams to 1, maybe 2 slots.

And it would take a looot of money and lobbing for completely new team to join.

EstWRC
10th January 2023, 07:53
“New” livery

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/f7eaf067136f23ee40d3df4f36169c21.jpg

Eli
10th January 2023, 07:54
“New” livery

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/f7eaf067136f23ee40d3df4f36169c21.jpg

Personally preferred last year’s and that nose is pretty ugly.

rallyfiend
10th January 2023, 07:58
Christ alive, all that money and they can't employ a designer to change anything from year to year...

EstWRC
10th January 2023, 08:00
Overalls

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/5fad94aa1c998f57f99e104ef14e1e79.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/508a990c124f127830298b81c9b5777c.jpg

TypeR
10th January 2023, 08:02
Wow, that's cool! Totally different and new livery! Almost couldn't understand it's Hyundai :D

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2023, 09:23
Never mind the livery, they spent the money on new aero. I think it looks pretty impressive and well-designed.

https://www.wrcwings.tech/2022/12/19/the-new-nose-and-rear-wing-of-the-hyundai-i20-n-rally1/

becher
10th January 2023, 10:21
Christ alive, all that money and they can't employ a designer to change anything from year to year...

Thats the point, corporate identity.

AnttiL
10th January 2023, 10:28
It's not the WRC team livery, it's the whole motorsport department livery, changing it would be a big operation in all disciplines, service trucks etc.

Same with TGR.

M-Sport can do what they want.

Sal yet again
10th January 2023, 10:59
Got to love the Tik-Tok generation who want a new livery every 20 seconds. Just be grateful they are still in the WRC. Unless there is a complete change of overall sponsor why would the corporate colours be changed. Kind of shows the current state of the WRC with 2.5 manufacturers in the top class that allows this sort of conversation to take place anyhow.

wyler
10th January 2023, 11:06
Got to love the Tik-Tok generation who want a new livery every 20 seconds. Just be grateful they are still in the WRC. Unless there is a complete change of overall sponsor why would the corporate colours be changed. Kind of shows the current state of the WRC with 2.5 manufacturers in the top class that allows this sort of conversation to take place anyhow.

they can still keep brand colors and displacement, but vary a bit more shape and textures, would be good for pr and making some hype, also can help distinguish the car from year to year in the archives/reviews...

here a nice comparison with the past: https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/1612742116391657473/photo/1

AnttiL
10th January 2023, 11:08
also can help distinguish the car from year to year in the archives/reviews...

On the contrary, they can make even old videos and photos look relevant when the car still looks the same.

AnttiL
10th January 2023, 11:08

We've had this conversation every year, even when we had four teams that could win a rally.

WRCStan
10th January 2023, 11:38

:D Yeah they need a spell in the army, the ungrateful little shits.

Andre Oliveira
10th January 2023, 11:53
Problem is no change. Problem is be ugly…

EstWRC
10th January 2023, 12:42

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmHVUvRXkAEEdHV?format=jpg&name=large

Sal yet again
10th January 2023, 12:48
:D Yeah they need a spell in the army, the ungrateful little shits.

Nothing against "young people" just couldnt eat a whole one..

EstWRC
10th January 2023, 12:56
i have to say the rear wing looks impressive, something like out of future

mknight
10th January 2023, 13:50
Well when they put the numbers up this way it is tempting to do a comparison:

Win/Podium
Hyundai:
Neuville 17/55
All 21/127 (Sordo is 3/54)
Support drivers 4/72 (1/18 without Sordo)

Toyota:
Rovanpera 8/13
All 68/133
Support drivers 60/120

MSport:
Tanak 17/42
All 17/42
Support drivers 0/0

Quite staggering differences.

wyler
10th January 2023, 14:13
On the contrary, they can make even old videos and photos look relevant when the car still looks the same.

i'm talking about archives and review: it's harder to say which year it comes from if it looks the same.
also i don't see any particular advantage in mixing different year stuff.

seb_sh
10th January 2023, 14:26
I don't mind that it's the "same". Also no one complained that Subaru had basically the same livery for 10+ years. However I think they could use the same colors and elements with some changes to make something more pleasing to the eye.

TypeR
10th January 2023, 16:43
https://www.upload.ee/image/14822065/Screenshot_20230110_195012_Facebook.jpg
Lol..

(Nobody allowed to beat him :D )

dimviii
10th January 2023, 17:39
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmGcUgOXwAIXSMB?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

EstWRC
10th January 2023, 20:03
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/b27e26ed63bf207c88d3c410d8f50eea.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/e77543453cd8caba68bb21d1ff6dd043.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRCStan
10th January 2023, 20:47
The "senior leaders" page at HMSG website has been taken down. No "who are we" to replace it.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th January 2023, 10:24
Never mind the livery, they spent the money on new aero. I think it looks pretty impressive and well-designed.

https://www.wrcwings.tech/2022/12/19/the-new-nose-and-rear-wing-of-the-hyundai-i20-n-rally1/

No-one else (except EstWRC) interested in the new aero, all just crying about the livery... some rally fans.

Eli
11th January 2023, 12:09
No-one else (except EstWRC) interested in the new aero, all just crying about the livery... some rally fans.

We do care, I’m looking forward to seeing it in action ;)

dimviii
11th January 2023, 12:49

get a life.

wyler
11th January 2023, 14:44

honestly, it's old news, we saw the new aero in lappi's finland test...

AnttiL
12th January 2023, 07:49
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2023/wrc/hyundai-announces-new-team-principal/

Cyril Abiteboul as new team principal

bomber21
12th January 2023, 08:34
At last!!!!

AnttiL
12th January 2023, 08:41
Now we know why Hyundai didn't change livery...they spent all their graphics budget on photoshopping this image :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmQ2LReXgAArLjI?format=jpg&name=large

Kalm
12th January 2023, 09:05
That has to be the worst team photo ever posted on a offical page, I can see whoever photoshopped it thinking... so if i put the co-drivers behind the car, i have to make them seem shorter.... but how much... fak it , ill just turn them into Santas little helpers.

TypeR
12th January 2023, 09:18
That has to be the worst team photo ever posted on a offical page, I can see whoever photoshopped it thinking... so if i put the co-drivers behind the car, i have to make them seem shorter.... but how much... fak it , ill just turn them into Santas little helpers.

Moncet as deputy PR manager/photographer :D

raffrantic
12th January 2023, 09:55
explain me what need trade Tanak for Lappi, knowing getting a boss with balls?

Rallyest
12th January 2023, 10:09
Because it was not Hyundais decision to let Tänak leave, it was Tänaks decision, and Lappi was the best available driver to replace him

Fast Eddie WRC
12th January 2023, 10:42
"I would like to extend my thanks to Julien Moncet, who took on the deputy role last season with determination. Under his guidance, we secured five victories and built strong momentum in the second part of the year."

Finally some official thanks from the team !

raffrantic
17th January 2023, 10:16
Seen Breen at recce but he no one's ouvreur?

AnttiL
17th January 2023, 10:17
Seen Breen at recce but he no one's ouvreur?

"recce only" to be prepared for next year full program

flat_right
20th January 2023, 14:49
On the Estonian Go3 channel, they had a guest there who organized last year's Rally Estonia PET for Hyundai and he recounted a story about the issues Hyundai faced during the event. On the first day when Ott was testing, the team ran out of spare bumper splitters and had to come up with a quick solution in order to continue the test. Initially, they considered making the splitters out of wood and even contacted a local carpenter for assistance. However, the carpenter did not have the right size and the team had to find an alternative solution. Eventually, they were able to find the right company who could make them from the right material and the testing was able to continue. Crazy story!

Sergiow
20th January 2023, 20:31
Regarding the WRC Rally Monte Carlo 2023, I hold my horses until Sunday, still 2 days and 10 PS to go. In the meantime, there is this from an F1 insider about Cyril Abiteboul:

"The move is interesting in that there have been some vague rumours around that Hyundai might want to enter Formula 1 in 2026. Korea is a big player in the global car industry and last year ranked fifth in the world in terms of automobile production with 3.46 million cars. The company has recently changed leadership and there are rumours of plans for a street race in Seoul. These are sufficiently serious for Stefano Domenicali to visit the city last autumn. It is not the first time that Hyundai has been rumoured to be thinking about F1. The last time that happened was when the first plans emerged for a Korean GP in Yeongam, in the south of the country. This did not happen because the company ran into a corruption scandal, while the Korean race faded away quite quickly because the location was wrong. "
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2023/01/12/an-intriguing-appointment/

Noteworthy to read to comments . "Abitboul suffered from the strained relationship with RedBull at a time when Mercedes were starting to comprehensively wipe the floor with everyone. I agree with Joe that he did accomplish a lot bearing in mind what he had to pick up and run with. He remains a particularly driven and focused man, extremely intelligent and in my humble opinion, more than capable of undertaking such an exciting project. He has nothing to envy a Rossi at Alpine in my opinion"

In the end, for my money Huyndai and F1 will remain a pipedream. It's already too late ... roll on future WRC!

240RS
26th January 2023, 09:58
Esapekka Lappi must be seeing a very good sports psychologist. His optimism after the Monte is to be admired.

Whereas an overall faster Dani Sordo was frustrated and baffled by his self-assessed lack of pace, Lappi was happy with his lot feeling he was growing into it. It's one thing to remain positive, and quite another to read what isn't obvious to just about anyone.

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2023/wrc/lappi-summarises-hyundai-debut-optimistic-for-future-success/

er88
26th January 2023, 12:14
Yes, I also think Hyundai moving into F1 is a pipedream atm. They are already too late to meet the new regs in 2026, and we have seen how long it has taken Audi to find a team to buy over and commit. Porsche are also having a hell of a struggle finding a team to partner, talks with Red bull fell away and I'm not sure yet if they have found another team to go into a partnership with? Andretti and Cadillac also want to join, but seems they can only get in if F1 expand the current grid, but the existing F1 teams are crying about that because the share of the revenue would be diluted. Andretti are already building new F1 facilities etc though, which shows how much forward planning you need.

Hyundai won't be in F1 before the next again cycle of regs by 2032 onwards imo. Which can't be bad news for their WRC involvement, as they clearly still want to be active in various forms of motorsport and WRC for all its fault is still bigger than touring cars etc

Kenneth
26th January 2023, 12:20
Yeah Porsche to F1 probably won't happen.

But let's see. There is fight FIA vs FOM and teams in terms of opening F1 to new teams. I think it will happen. But there are more teams that want to join. I think whatever team will want to make own engines will have the edge.

So Hyundai to F1 can happen for sure, but I don't believe it will happen.

bwallace
26th January 2023, 12:48
On the Estonian Go3 channel, they had a guest there who organized last year's Rally Estonia PET for Hyundai and he recounted a story about the issues Hyundai faced during the event. On the first day when Ott was testing, the team ran out of spare bumper splitters and had to come up with a quick solution in order to continue the test. Initially, they considered making the splitters out of wood and even contacted a local carpenter for assistance. However, the carpenter did not have the right size and the team had to find an alternative solution. Eventually, they were able to find the right company who could make them from the right material and the testing was able to continue. Crazy story!

They spending money others way, not to preparing car great and yeah neuville there is a boss for every one i think...

denkimi
26th January 2023, 16:42
Yes, I also think Hyundai moving into F1 is a pipedream atm. They are already too late to meet the new regs in 2026, and we have seen how long it has taken Audi to find a team to buy over and commit. Porsche are also having a hell of a struggle finding a team to partner, talks with Red bull fell away and I'm not sure yet if they have found another team to go into a partnership with? Andretti and Cadillac also want to join, but seems they can only get in if F1 expand the current grid, but the existing F1 teams are crying about that because the share of the revenue would be diluted. Andretti are already building new F1 facilities etc though, which shows how much forward planning you need.

Hyundai won't be in F1 before the next again cycle of regs by 2032 onwards imo. Which can't be bad news for their WRC involvement, as they clearly still want to be active in various forms of motorsport and WRC for all its fault is still bigger than touring cars etc
All they need to do is buy an existing team.

The only issue is finding one that wants to be sold to them 😛

Gonek
26th January 2023, 18:04
All they need to do is buy an existing team.

The only issue is finding one that wants to be sold to them 😛

They will buy Red Bull. Abiteboul knows Horner very well :)

sinepikohv
14th February 2023, 05:25
It's in Estonian and behind a paywall, but: https://sport.postimees.ee/7711972/tanakul-ja-m-spordil-on-hyundai-ees-eelis

It's written that Hyundai complained the most about hybrid related problems during Sweden and that's because the carbon-fibre box that houses the system is too tightly connected to the car and got bumped around a lot causing failures. They could solve it by using a joker but those are obviously worth so-so much that it's not a priority.

Rallyest
14th February 2023, 06:00
It's in Estonian and behind a paywall, but: https://sport.postimees.ee/7711972/tanakul-ja-m-spordil-on-hyundai-ees-eelis

It's written that Hyundai complained the most about hybrid related problems during Sweden and that's because the carbon-fibre box that houses the system is too tightly connected to the car and got bumped around a lot causing failures. They could solve it by using a joker but those are obviously worth so-so much that it's not a priority.

Wasnt it the same reason Tänak had to retire last year in Sweden, Hybrid system went to error after a jump. Guess they should of have learned something from it, but guess not

becher
14th February 2023, 10:25
Wasnt it the same reason Tänak had to retire last year in Sweden, Hybrid system went to error after a jump. Guess they should of have learned something from it, but guess not
The article mentioned that they can only change it with a joker and they don't want to use one for it...so go figure.

AndersX
15th February 2023, 19:40
I think Abiteboul is really very good choice by Hyundai - one can see that he is the guy who survived the Jurassic Park of F1 and comes from another level - true heavy weight. Compare his guts and experience with Latvala, for example. Abiteboul is very good thing that happened to WRC.

Sergiow
19th March 2023, 20:05
I think Abiteboul is really very good choice by Hyundai - one can see that he is the guy who survived the Jurassic Park of F1 and comes from another level - true heavy weight. Compare his guts and experience with Latvala, for example. Abiteboul is very good thing that happened to WRC.

Indeed, here are already some idea's he's floating to take over from F1:

“There is the 80/20 rule. In F1, we want to have 100% and therefore it is very expensive. I believe this can be completely applied in the rally, i.e. having 80% of the result for 20% of the investment. When I look at Hyundai, I think we could invest a little more on digital simulation."

"We can do better, but we will always be in approximations. There is one thing that shocks me a little, and that is the understanding of the tyres. For example, it is very complicated to know when a soft starts to work less well than a hard, over what distance... It's difficult to simulate, but despite everything I think we could do a little more"

"On the other hand, we could simulate everything related to driving procedures, maps or starts. I could see that not all pilots do the same starting procedure and we could systematize it a little more. With pedals, steering wheel and lights, so very rudimentary things, we can start working. »

https://www.autohebdo.fr/actualites/rallye/wrc/abiteboul-souhaite-faire-progresser-les-methodes-de-simulation.html

Sergiow
20th March 2023, 13:29
"We lived this final with a lot of intensity. It's in the right direction, it's great. Thierry has done a remarkable job, especially since Saturday noon. It's proof of his ability to concentrate, of resilience , to apply pressure to push for mistakes. We were not demotivated after the loss of Esapekka. It's a nice gift that Thierry gives himself and he gives to the whole team. He knows that when you lose a car that was in the lead, it's a blow to morale. Thierry's finish is all the more satisfying. It's a very nice operation, I'm not going to say that has a taste of victory. We saw that Tanak was in difficulty. For some reason that I do not know too well, Rovanpera was not there either. It was important to take advantage of it for the championship, "said Cyril Abiteboul.

And the Hyundai team principal added: "Thierry managed the psychology of the team, his own and that of the opponent. He reminds me a bit of a Fernando Alonso, who uses all the weapons, including those little media coverage. When he announces, for example, on TV that the opponent has a mechanical problem. I like it because there is a side that is put under pressure from all angles. It is the demonstration of a driver who has a lot of of experience and intelligence."

"I would be surprised if Ogier did not tell himself that there is a championship to be won. He took risks in the Power Stage, it shows that he wanted to go for the additional points. If not It's not to add them to the championship, I don't know what the point is," concluded the Frenchman.

https://www.rtbf.be/article/wrc-mexique-cyril-abiteboul-thierry-neuville-me-fait-un-peu-penser-a-fernando-alonso-il-a-beaucoup-d-experience-et-d-intelligence-11170067 (https://www.rtbf.be/article/wrc-mexique-cyril-abiteboul-thierry-neuville-me-fait-un-peu-penser-a-fernando-alonso-il-a-beaucoup-d-experience-et-d-intelligence-11170067)

ouvreur
20th March 2023, 13:51
"We lived this final with a lot of intensity. It's in the right direction, it's great. Thierry has done a remarkable job, especially since Saturday noon. It's proof of his ability to concentrate, of resilience , to apply pressure to push for mistakes. We were not demotivated after the loss of Esapekka. It's a nice gift that Thierry gives himself and he gives to the whole team. He knows that when you lose a car that was in the lead, it's a blow to morale. Thierry's finish is all the more satisfying. It's a very nice operation, I'm not going to say that has a taste of victory. We saw that Tanak was in difficulty. For some reason that I do not know too well, Rovanpera was not there either. It was important to take advantage of it for the championship, "said Cyril Abiteboul.

And the Hyundai team principal added: "Thierry managed the psychology of the team, his own and that of the opponent. He reminds me a bit of a Fernando Alonso, who uses all the weapons, including those little media coverage. When he announces, for example, on TV that the opponent has a mechanical problem. I like it because there is a side that is put under pressure from all angles. It is the demonstration of a driver who has a lot of of experience and intelligence."

"I would be surprised if Ogier did not tell himself that there is a championship to be won. He took risks in the Power Stage, it shows that he wanted to go for the additional points. If not It's not to add them to the championship, I don't know what the point is," concluded the Frenchman.

https://www.rtbf.be/article/wrc-mexique-cyril-abiteboul-thierry-neuville-me-fait-un-peu-penser-a-fernando-alonso-il-a-beaucoup-d-experience-et-d-intelligence-11170067 (https://www.rtbf.be/article/wrc-mexique-cyril-abiteboul-thierry-neuville-me-fait-un-peu-penser-a-fernando-alonso-il-a-beaucoup-d-experience-et-d-intelligence-11170067)
This is also a sign that - quite smartly - Cyril has realised he will need to carefully manage Thierry... both to keep him in the right frame of mind since his psychology has always been his weakness, and for his long-term job prospects since HMSG = Team Thierry :laugh:

Fast Eddie WRC
10th April 2023, 12:47
Mikkelsen on the Hyundai Rally1 drive that never came...

https://www.autohebdo.fr/actualites/rallye/wrc/andreas-mikkelsen-je-veux-me-maintenir-en-premiere-ligne.html

Sergiow
15th April 2023, 12:42
Mikkelsen on the Hyundai Rally1 drive that never came...

https://www.autohebdo.fr/actualites/rallye/wrc/andreas-mikkelsen-je-veux-me-maintenir-en-premiere-ligne.html

At the time when this interview appeared it gave us already a peek behind the scenes what was going on this winter with Mikkelsen. With the very unfortunate disappearance of Craig Breen this interview might get a whole other meaning ...

https://static.moniteurautomobile.be/clients/moniteur/content/medias/images/news/41000/800/10/audran_13_04_23_-_craig_breen.jpg

doubled1978
15th April 2023, 13:58
It’s a decision for Hyundai to make if they will use Sordo for all the rallies or bring in another driver to take the rallies Breen would have competed in. I don’t really like discussing it so soon, but it is a reality that there will be 3 cars on the other events after Croatia I’m sure.

cali
15th April 2023, 15:51
It’s a decision for Hyundai to make if they will use Sordo for all the rallies or bring in another driver to take the rallies Breen would have competed in. I don’t really like discussing it so soon, but it is a reality that there will be 3 cars on the other events after Croatia I’m sure.If Sordo does want to do all the rounds, he has been reluctant so far to do the full season (for years now).

mknight
15th April 2023, 16:27
For me it is a bit too early to start this discussion, both due to proximity of the accident and due to how the calendar looks.

Sordo will do Croatia and likely Portugal and Sardinia, can also do Kenya. Estonia is the first rally where he is a really bad choice.

TypeR
15th April 2023, 16:55
would be really weird, if they put Sordo(or abybody else) as third car in Croatia..

doubled1978
15th April 2023, 17:05
would be really weird, if they put Sordo(or abybody else) as third car in Croatia..

I can’t imagine for 1 second there will be a 3rd car in Croatia. That really would be bad form from Hyundai and I can’t believe it will happen.

becher
15th April 2023, 19:53
For sure two cars in Croatia and the someone for the rallys Sordo isn't competitive at.

er88
15th April 2023, 21:09
I can’t imagine for 1 second there will be a 3rd car in Croatia. That really would be bad form from Hyundai and I can’t believe it will happen.As Hyundai will only run with 2 cars (I presume/hope), there will be discussions ongoing now with the teams and FIA for Toyota to maybe only nominate 2 drivers before the rally, as their manufacturer pt scorers. So it's fair for the championship - 2 of Ogier/Kalle/Evans.

I don't think it would be right or fair of Hyundai to put Sordo in the car, or launch a Mikkelsen/Suninen etc in the 3rd car.

Rallyper
16th April 2023, 07:57
Suninen should be the option.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2023, 09:16
Toyota should pull out Ogier as a team scorer in Croatia.

Rallyper
16th April 2023, 09:20
Toyota should pull out Ogier as a team scorer in Croatia.

I would say, let´s go on. Pay respect to Breen, in all the ways the organizer will put up. But let the competition go ahead as usual.

becher
16th April 2023, 09:31
Asking Toyota to only register two cars is ridiculous. Take a look at the past.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2023, 10:52
Asking Toyota to only register two cars is ridiculous. Take a look at the past.

Explain please ?

becher
16th April 2023, 12:07
Explain please ?
Because it's a sport and not reality TV. When F1 teams turned up with one car because of an accident (fatal/injury) the others still ran two/three cars, same in sportscars. Peugeot didn't pull there cars at 5je 85/86 TdC to be "fair" to Lancia. Next up a team retires a car in order to be "fair" when a competitor has technical problems or what?

er88
16th April 2023, 12:45
Because it's a sport and not reality TV. When F1 teams turned up with one car because of an accident (fatal/injury) the others still ran two/three cars, same in sportscars. Peugeot didn't pull there cars at 5je 85/86 TdC to be "fair" to Lancia. Next up a team retires a car in order to be "fair" when a competitor has technical problems or what?Give over.

Nobody is asking Toyota to pull a car. Just select 2 of their 3 drivers to score manufacturer pts instead of all 3 - if Hyundai turn up with only two cars.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2023, 13:35
Give over.

Nobody is asking Toyota to pull a car. Just select 2 of their 3 drivers to score manufacturer pts instead of all 3 - if Hyundai turn up with only two cars.

Exactly.

And this (exceptional) situation is already known before the event and can be discussed .... its not mid-rally.

becher
16th April 2023, 14:01
Exactly.

And this (exceptional) situation is already known before the event and can be discussed .... its not mid-rally.

Except ther is no issue to discuss fot Toyota.

ouvreur
16th April 2023, 14:25
I don’t see it happening. I see the logic, in that even if Hyundai did decide to run their third car with a different crew, whoever it is wouldn’t have tested, so they would be at a disadvantage either way.

It would make for a heartwarming story.

But Toyota aren’t rallying to provide heartwarming stories.

The regs are clear. Nominations would have been made at the time of entry, and entries are now closed.

er88
19th April 2023, 11:51
Well done Toyota.....

Surprised many of you didn't see it happening. It was a fairly easy thing to do with time before the rally? All teams with 2 manufacturer pts scorers this weekend.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th April 2023, 12:10
Well done indeed...

"As a mark of solidarity, teams have agreed that only two crews will be nominated as eligible for manufacturers’ points on this rally.

Our nominated crews will be #17 and #69, with #33 and #18 eligible for drivers’ points as usual."

ouvreur
19th April 2023, 12:21
Well done Toyota.....

Surprised many of you didn't see it happening. It was a fairly easy thing to do with time before the rally? All teams with 2 manufacturer pts scorers this weekend.

There are lots of fairly easy and obvious things that could be done before rallies that never happen. I wouldn't say it was something that could have easily been foreseen.

I'm glad, but surprised, this is happening.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th April 2023, 17:06
"It makes complete sense to make this decision. The team has decided to nominate two cars knowing that Hyundai will only have two. It's the minimum to do in such a context", said Sébastien Ogier.

EstWRC
24th April 2023, 13:35
I hope they keep this livery for the whole season. Looks so much better than their regular one and of course for Craig

EstWRC
28th April 2023, 14:52
same old story since 2014 https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/neuville-hasnt-got-developments-he-asked-for/

Fast Eddie WRC
11th May 2023, 12:43
Hyundai looking long-term to complete WRC driver line-up...

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/hyundai-looking-long-term-to-complete-wrc-driver-line-up-/10467974/

Jewy46
11th May 2023, 14:43
A disappointment for me I must say, from a selfish point of view I wanted Kris and James to get the seat for Finland so we can cheer them on in Craig's honour.
I think it would have been hugely fitting. Looks like not to be. C'est la vie

However I understand it has to be a long term thing for Hyundai and I wish whoever gets it the best of luck and hope they remember to try enjoy it as much as Craig did.

er88
11th May 2023, 17:08
Do the upper management at Hyundai have a clue what they want. They binned long term prospect Solberg after 1 season, to focus on drivers who can deliver this season. And now they're back to thinking long term....

I understand nobody could have forseen the awful circumstances that have led to Hyundai needing a new driver, but half way through the season they are now changing their philosophy again?!

doubled1978
11th May 2023, 19:21
Do the upper management at Hyundai have a clue what they want. They binned long term prospect Solberg after 1 season, to focus on drivers who can deliver this season. And now they're back to thinking long term....

I understand nobody could have forseen the awful circumstances that have led to Hyundai needing a new driver, but half way through the season they are now changing their philosophy again?!

To be fair, Cyril has inherited these decisions so perhaps this tragic set of circumstances will see him start to put his signature on their philosophy moving forward.

Norm75
11th May 2023, 19:41
A disappointment for me I must say, from a selfish point of view I wanted Kris and James to get the seat for Finland so we can cheer them on in Craig's honour.
I think it would have been hugely fitting. Looks like not to be. C'est la vie

However I understand it has to be a long term thing for Hyundai and I wish whoever gets it the best of luck and hope they remember to try enjoy it as much as Craig did.
Well, we don’t know yet. In the Autosport article it mentions Kris is being considered. It is also mentioned the difficulty adapting from rally2 to rally1 and we know Kris has been fast at the top level. If they want a driver for the next couple of years to share the third car, who’s to say Kris isn’t interested in doing more than a few rallies this year. He said himself this morning to Colin Clark that he was interested again and had been making calls but covid had made things difficult.
With that in mind he may still be in contention.

er88
11th May 2023, 20:55
To be fair, Cyril has inherited these decisions so perhaps this tragic set of circumstances will see him start to put his signature on their philosophy moving forward.Hopefully Cyril is given the chance & authority then. It wasn't a Moncet decision to scrap their long term plans with Solberg, and focus on immediate results. So that tells me the bosses in Korea have/had a big say (along with Thierry).

Lead
12th May 2023, 05:29
I think this is great opportunity for Suninen. If he can win and show firm driving this weekend in Portugal, I bet he has chance to move up.

bandit12
12th May 2023, 05:56
I think this is great opportunity for Suninen. If he can win and show firm driving this weekend in Portugal, I bet he has chance to move up.
Plus he has some experience with top class machinery.

skarderud
12th May 2023, 11:34
I feel that whoever drives the Hyundai rest of the season will have big problems to find a good feeling in that car, won't set decent times regulary, and always someone here will write : " ooooh, he's a waste, they should have picked ......... ....... insted!"

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

Danny0405
13th May 2023, 11:52
To be fair, Cyril has inherited these decisions so perhaps this tragic set of circumstances will see him start to put his signature on their philosophy moving forward.

It’s one of the main issues of Hyundai: their new directors had always been chosen late so that the incumbent lineup was selected before:
- when Adamo was hired, Nandan-Penasse already chose to waive Paddon and take Loeb which was not a good choice for a sport-wise view (Loeb was not a good fit for a shared-car with Sordo in terms of profile); honestly, Loeb has been extremely marginal in the back-to-back Hyundai titles and could have been won with Paddon. It’s the only positive point I give to Adamo in Hyundai: even if Loeb stints with Hyundai were really average, he uses it wisely by withdrawing Mikkelsen on some events to obtain Andreas better road position in some gravel events just after and where he achieved good results (Argentina, Sardinia)
- when Moncet steps in as a caretaker, it was already decided by Adamo to take Solberg instead of an experienced driver
- when Abiteboul was hired, the choice of waiving Solberg was already done.

Well, Solberg could have been a good choice considering what Abiteboul is saying... but would sound extremely unlikely that they reunites so early giving the context and what has been said between both parties (especially from Solberg).

As evoked before, except for Estonia and Finland, I’m extremely skeptical Hyundai could find a driver stepping in that could bring them more than Sordo. But putting a driver directly in Estonia is a bit short, they should give him at least a national rally or Safari or both (as Safari is a special rally, could be a good place to discover the car a bit quietly).
In the context, best choice for Estonia-Finland spot sounds to be Suninen right now: he has made some tests with the car last year, makes both Estonia and Finland last two years, back-to-back RC2 win in Finland, close from Mikkelsen in Estonia last year and among the experienced driver available (excluding the Solberg-Fourmaux-Greensmith bunch that I do not reference as experienced driver), he is the one with most recent RC1 experience. And in case his string would be a success, he also knows Chile and Japan.
Only real issue is about Rally2 where Suninen was the front leader of their program; but with his results so far, the WRC2 title shot sounds unlikely + they could bring on Paddon in Rally2 there (he will have a lot of fast gravel rallies in ERC to prepare and was both in Estonia and Finland last year).

Fast Eddie WRC
13th May 2023, 12:22
Hyundai should bring in Mikkelsen after they suddenly stopped answering his texts on the verge of a deal and hired Breen. He deserves another shot after doing all he can to prove himself in Rally2 cars.

mknight
15th May 2023, 04:55
Realistically there is only 3 candidates (alphabetically): Mikkelsen, Solberg, Suninen

Mikkelsen is best mid-term, he is good on fast rallies but also on most rallies that Sordo does if Sordo decides to retire (but he just did his best rally in Rally1 car).

Solberg obviously has best long term potential, but he just got fired from there ( likely by Hyundai top leadership which is still same, Moncet didn't have driver authority). Skoda and Solberg himself might also not be interested in jumping mid-season and based on previous experience it might be better to wait. Given how bad Katsuta, Evans and Loubet are doing there are likely seats available next year.

Suninen is best short term fix for just Estonia and Finland, is already working for Hyundai and also has some funds. But everything else speaks against him, his speed in Rally2 has not been great except Finland (how much is it the car?), neither has his reliability.

skarderud
15th May 2023, 07:42
I'm afraid a driver that needs good results to show his potential can loose more than gain when doing 1 or 2 rallies in the Hyundai.

masa90
15th May 2023, 07:47
Really surprised if Andreas gets the call anymore. He is not really young and promising anymore and with the best car he has not really showed too much yet. Suninen also has had a rough year, but he hasn't had the car either in wrc2. Oliver has the car, but has the results aswell this year. Though he has the baggage of last years failure in the factory team aswell. Interesting to see what happens, I would go with Teemu.

denkimi
15th May 2023, 08:04
For me the obvious thing to do would be hiring andreas and putting solberg in a 4th car to see how he compares. Even better would be to create a junior team with another driver like rossel or gryazin.

becher
15th May 2023, 08:11
Junior teams would be nice but we all know....

Anyway, the way Suninen performed in his first few RC1 outings, I would think there is more potential than what he showed at M Sport in 20/21. Mikkelsen is kind of a known quantity, and everybody else is not on the level for an honest try.

ouvreur
15th May 2023, 09:11
It's most likely to be Suninen.

Rossel or Lindholm would be most interesting to see how they get on.

Gryazin would only be worth hiring if you had a lot of bodywork / shells that need to be used up.

Norm75
15th May 2023, 16:48
Realistically there is only 3 candidates (alphabetically): Mikkelsen, Solberg, Suninen

Mikkelsen is best mid-term, he is good on fast rallies but also on most rallies that Sordo does if Sordo decides to retire (but he just did his best rally in Rally1 car).

Solberg obviously has best long term potential, but he just got fired from there ( likely by Hyundai top leadership which is still same, Moncet didn't have driver authority). Skoda and Solberg himself might also not be interested in jumping mid-season and based on previous experience it might be better to wait. Given how bad Katsuta, Evans and Loubet are doing there are likely seats available next year.

Suninen is best short term fix for just Estonia and Finland, is already working for Hyundai and also has some funds. But everything else speaks against him, his speed in Rally2 has not been great except Finland (how much is it the car?), neither has his reliability.

You put Evans in same category as Loubet and Katsuta. You are a funny chap, Evans being the driver that won the last rally and was leading the championship is doing really bad isn’t he 🙄

Kenneth
16th May 2023, 06:24
Motorsport Week reported that Hyundai will start WEC Hypercar programme.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/05/15/hyundai-preparing-wec-hypercar-programme-reports-say/

cali
16th May 2023, 06:28
Motorsport Week reported that Hyundai will start WEC Hypercar programme.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/05/15/hyundai-preparing-wec-hypercar-programme-reports-say/Ok, bye bye to Hyundai then

mknight
16th May 2023, 06:44
Well it will be hard for Hyundai to get any title in WRC this year.
Neuville+car are not reliable enough for driver title and with nobody winning rallies for them manu is also a problem.

In Portugal they had 2nd and 3rd spot and two Toyotas retired, yet Toyota got more manu points from the rally anyway. When there are so few Rally1 cars just making a car restart on superrally is enough. (Yet some people did funny comments how Toyota dominance is not happening)

bomber21
16th May 2023, 07:43
Ok, bye bye to Hyundai then

I understand the same as well. This is why Neuville made those comments in Twitter…

mknight
16th May 2023, 08:03
I understand the same as well. This is why Neuville made those comments in Twitter…

Which he subsequently clarified into saying that Hyundai does not plan to leave but that keeping current manus should be focus and not hypothetically bringing many in the future.

Abiteboul talked just before Portugal about driver plans for next 1-2 years.

becher
16th May 2023, 09:10
I wouldn't be so quick, Hyundai has been in talks and shown interest in the LMH ruleset since the beginning. There were also frequent rumours about a DPi (IMSA, LMDh predecessor) entry. And although postponed, the future hydrogen class in the WEC was known to be of interest, or in other words a Hyundai entry from 2025 onwards was all but confirmed.

My most reliable sources/sites didn't mention Hyundai in any capacity for maybe more than a year.

It's also worth noting that LMDh is laughably cheap as manus basically run customer cars from specialized chassis manufacturers, so both together would still work.

seb_sh
16th May 2023, 09:14
Neuvilles latest comments and interviews now have proper context. Hyundai will probably stay 1-2 more years as they have still the Rally1 car and developing the Le Mans car will take a bit.

Maybe WRC will give up on Rally1 and have Rally2 as the top class. If you look at the timelines it fits. Let's say next year is the last year for Rally1 then in 2025 Toyota will have a Rally2 along with everyone else.

rp
16th May 2023, 15:51
Hyundai must have had a WEC plan already long time and that´s why they selected racing men Abiteboul.

Still a couple of years in the WRC, because current Rally1 car will continue in 2024 and probably the regulations will be like this also 2025 & 2026, because the situation is difficult to know what could be the best way in the furure.

bomber21
18th May 2023, 08:39
DF says that Abiteboul has an indication from Hyundai HQ to build the future.

So, I hope that this means they will stay in WRC.

skarderud
18th May 2023, 09:18
The fun thing here, they are looking for a youngster for the future, 7 months ago they kicked one of the most talented ones because they wanted more experienced drivers.
Still they support Neuville, that has got every oppertunity for 10 years, how long will he last?

becher
18th May 2023, 09:38
The fun thing here, they are looking for a youngster for the future, 7 months ago they kicked one of the most talented ones because they wanted more experienced drivers.
Still they support Neuville, that has got every oppertunity for 10 years, how long will he last?

As long as he is one of the three quickest drivers in the world.

focus206
18th May 2023, 09:52

As long as he'll be one of the few drivers able to win a rally.
In these 10 years, how often was Hyundai a fast and reliable enough car to challenge for the championship? You always seem to be under the impression that Hyundai is tired of Neuville when most fans (and Hyundai themselves) know their car has let down their drivers way more often and it's actually surprising Neuville has put up with them for so long.
Even world champion Tanak wasn't able to be a proper title contender in his 3 years there.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th May 2023, 10:12

This was said pages ago....

skarderud
18th May 2023, 10:15
This was said pages ago....Yes, but was in sight of todays DF article.

skarderud
18th May 2023, 13:58
As long as he is one of the three quickest drivers in the world.Is he?
Rovenpära, Ogier and Tänak , then a couple of 2-3 drivers at same level.

becher
18th May 2023, 14:29
Is he?
Rovenpära, Ogier and Tänak , then a couple of 2-3 drivers at same level.

Haha if you count Ogier in there as well one of the four quickest. But to put them all ahead of him in terms of speed is laughable, as is "2-3 drivers on the same level". Norwegian glasses I see. Check the second stage on the 2020 Monte or how many stages Tänak won vs Neuville in the same car.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th May 2023, 15:32
Yes, but was in sight of todays DF article.

Which says the same as last weeks Autosport article...