PDA

View Full Version : Why this sport is amazing: A Newbie Perspective

Revman
6th January 2017, 18:50
Okay, so I chat with a lot of NASCAR fans, and I find that we take the sport for granted. We forget about why it is so great until someone new comes along to remind us. For WRC, maybe I am that guy for some. Here is why I think this sport is flat out awesome BEFORE I have even followed a Rally weekend:

1. The cars: Can't think of a motorsport formula where the complete package is so crucial. Suspension, transmission, engine, aero, and tires. I love the technical aspects of motorsports, and unfortunately (as has been clearly pointed out in the Technical Analysis thread), "journalists" know very little about this. They instead focus on the driver and the romantic stuff. I had not idea how awesome these cars are from a technical/development standpoint until I started to study this because of Toyota's entry. Just awesome, and something I have missed since Toyota left F1. Love it.

2. The drivers: So much personality. I love it. They don't seem too corporate, and there is a ton of passion. I am looking forward to following Latvala. He reminds me of Alesi. Fast, emotional, and maybe at times erratic (based on the review videos I have watched--could be wrong). He will give me hope every rally I think. He will let me down. He will make me laugh. He might make me cry. He might bring me a win, and celebration. These are all the things I felt when I used to pull for Alesi

3. The teams: Work these arses off. Much drive and desire. Team principals who are very visible. Love the manufacturer based concept. Brand identity is evident. I love this. I am here because Toyota is here, and not only do I want to understand the Toyota drivers, but I want to understand the culture of Gazoo Racing.

4. The fans: Hugely passionate, and positive about their sport. NASCAR fans are souring, and constantly bitching. I haven't bee around here for a season, so I could be wrong, but it seems that many of you live for this, and that impresses me. Great fans.

5. The media: Jury is out. Only know what I see on WRC+, and the coverage here is pretty much through Motorsport.com. We shall see.

Bottom line: When I started this research upon Toyota's announcement, I did not expect to be so excited. I was wrong. I am pumped.

AndyRAC
6th January 2017, 19:34
If you think it's amazing now - I can't imagine what you'd think when it was at its finest.

OHL
6th January 2017, 19:45
For me it was seeing things like the shot starting at 2:01 in this video. This was rally to me. Absolutely on the limit. You see the reaction of the spectator, he can't believe what he just saw. Stuff like that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and you can't help but love the bravery and absolute commitment. It evokes a deep respect and admiration for the level of commitment it takes to drive like that. Few can do it and you know it's special when you see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvsXUDnWYH8

SubaruNorway
6th January 2017, 20:36
Sharing a moment like this with a few mates is what makes it special to me, me filming with Co-drivers Torstein Eriksen and Stig Rune Skjærmoen doing the sound effects ;)

https://www.facebook.com/rallyemag/videos/10154937359694973/

And another special moment in this opening clip from Finland 2015 The spaniards or what they were went crazy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m5EWTGARvQ&t=480s

pol1sh
6th January 2017, 21:05
This forum gave you the impression that fans are positive about this sport? Odd, I always got the opposite. Undeniably, rally fans are incredibly passionate and devoted, but this forum is not particularly "positive".

Glad you discovered the sport though! The US is desperately missing a solid WRC fanbase, and it's good to see manufacturer involvement directly impact that as well. We're in for a great season this year for sure, so you've joined at the right time!

TheFlyingTuga
6th January 2017, 21:25
@Revman, this one it's for you :P

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/amLZKKj_700b.jpg

Glad that you're following inlove with the sport.

Cheers

KiwiWRCfan
6th January 2017, 21:49
I am looking forward to following Latvala. He reminds me of Alesi. Fast, emotional, and maybe at times erratic (based on the review videos I have watched--could be wrong). He will give me hope every rally I think. He will let me down. He will make me laugh. He might make me cry. He might bring me a win, and celebration.

Yep that is our JML, Revman you have summed Jari-Matti up perfectly

Rallyper
6th January 2017, 22:06
Hello - you already started a similar thread on this kind of topic. Isnīt that enough?

lewalcindor
6th January 2017, 23:09
Hello - you already started a similar thread on this kind of topic. Isnīt that enough?

No need to shit on him. Just let him have his fun and let his enthusiasm grow. The sport can always use some fresh blood and perspective.

Revman
7th January 2017, 00:01
@Revman, this one it's for you :P

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/amLZKKj_700b.jpg

Glad that you're following inlove with the sport.

Cheers

That's awesome!!!! Appreciate that!

Revman
7th January 2017, 00:04

Fair point....never want to post stupidly. My initial thread was soliciting information, and this one was more of a....Here's what I have gathered....am I understanding the sport the right way? type of thing.

Revman
7th January 2017, 00:06
This forum gave you the impression that fans are positive about this sport? Odd, I always got the opposite. Undeniably, rally fans are incredibly passionate and devoted, but this forum is not particularly "positive".

Glad you discovered the sport though! The US is desperately missing a solid WRC fanbase, and it's good to see manufacturer involvement directly impact that as well. We're in for a great season this year for sure, so you've joined at the right time!

Compared to what NASCAR "fans" say about the sport they supposedly love, this place is absolute sunshine and butterflies so far.

Thank you for your appreciation of my interest in this sport. I am very excited!

Revman
7th January 2017, 03:23
For me it was seeing things like the shot starting at 2:01 in this video. This was rally to me. Absolutely on the limit. You see the reaction of the spectator, he can't believe what he just saw. Stuff like that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and you can't help but love the bravery and absolute commitment. It evokes a deep respect and admiration for the level of commitment it takes to drive like that. Few can do it and you know it's special when you see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvsXUDnWYH8

Absolutely love the fan's reaction. Just awesome.

A FONDO
7th January 2017, 06:32
Awesome is the closeness you have to the competition... and the ability to influent the outcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rh6TKLW8qg

Franky
7th January 2017, 15:09

Just have a look at the F1 section of this forum and you'll understand.

The only negative threads in the rally section in recent times have been the Toyota thread, because everyone just wants them to do really well, and the media coverage threads.

TWRC
7th January 2017, 22:55
Revman, if you haven't checked it out already, take a look at arguably the best sounding rally car of the '90s (alongside its sister-car the Xsara), the Peugeot 306 Maxi! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEi3PLeEARs

dimviii
7th January 2017, 23:39
and the most spectacular driver with frontwheel drivecar ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25VRiIeFJfA

lewalcindor
8th January 2017, 00:09
FWD naturally-aspirated gloriousness!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_2-Litre_World_Rally_Cup

A FONDO
10th January 2017, 21:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1i2ZEiL3I

Rally Power
11th January 2017, 22:15
Compared to what NASCAR "fans" say about the sport they supposedly love, this place is absolute sunshine and butterflies so far.

Probably because all makes and drivers are respected by rally fans. At the end, all are important to make rally heritage greater.

Btw, fantastic video by Praemio from the first special built rally car, 10 years before Gr.B, and still the most iconic ever: the Lancia Stratos. Interesting to notice that the man telling the story, and rallying them on historic events, is ex F1 driver Erik Comas.
https://youtu.be/BEhkB-GuCIY

Rallyper
12th January 2017, 11:27
And here some of Saab rally history, however sound only partly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5-HP9v2slE

Revman
19th April 2017, 15:13
Update on my new fandom: I absolutely love this sport. Love everything about it. However, a couple of things that I love the most....1) At a time in racing globally when the focus is on cost containment at the expense of interesting technology/machinery, WRC cars are absolutely the coolest thing I have ever followed! Just fabulous. 2) I know to long time rally fans this will seem stupid, but I love the focus on pure speed and NOT side by side racing. To me, going as fast as you can with different surfaces and changing conditions is completely captivating. I am absolutely addicted. No hope. Up at night in my time zone to watch live stages, etc. Thank you to all for putting up with my newness, and giving me great advice and information. Great stuff!

er88
19th April 2017, 15:57
Update on my new fandom: I absolutely love this sport. Love everything about it. However, a couple of things that I love the most....1) At a time in racing globally when the focus is on cost containment at the expense of interesting technology/machinery, WRC cars are absolutely the coolest thing I have ever followed! Just fabulous. 2) I know to long time rally fans this will seem stupid, but I love the focus on pure speed and NOT side by side racing. To me, going as fast as you can with different surfaces and changing conditions is completely captivating. I am absolutely addicted. No hope. Up at night in my time zone to watch live stages, etc. Thank you to all for putting up with my newness, and giving me great advice and information. Great stuff!
You've chosen a good time to start following the sport, considering how fierce the competition is now. 4 different drivers winning the first 4 races, in 4 different manufacturers. You've witnessed the Meeke drama on the power stage in Mexico which will go down as one of the greatest finishes to a wrc rally ever, and even your own team Toyota has massively surpassed expectations with a win and Jari being 2nd in the championship.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Revman
20th April 2017, 04:00
You've chosen a good time to start following the sport, considering how fierce the competition is now. 4 different drivers winning the first 4 races, in 4 different manufacturers. You've witnessed the Meeke drama on the power stage in Mexico which will go down as one of the greatest finishes to a wrc rally ever, and even your own team Toyota has massively surpassed expectations with a win and Jari being 2nd in the championship.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No question that Toyota has far exceeded my expectations. I absolutely adore Jari-Matti--such passion! I very much enjoy Juno--although I need him to keep the car whole, and it's going to be fun to see what Lappi can do. Obviously, I am Toyota biased, but the personalities of this sport are awesome. Meeke is very enjoyable, and honestly, I like Seb and all of his swagger. Come to think of it, all of the drivers bring such character to the sport. I kind of feel like I know them all, and that just adds to it. I thought I might like this sport when Toyota came to WRC. I was wrong. I LOVE IT!!!

Revman
17th June 2017, 14:26
Update 2 on Fandom: LOVING this sport. Anticipating each upcoming rally. Studying replays to prepare. The cars are fabulous. The drivers are amazing, and fun to listen to. Absolutely, unconditionally, helplessly addicted. It's done. I'm in. Enjoying all that Latvalla is, and captivated by Lappi. Getting some speed from Juno is a bonus. Great, great, great stuff.

Jarek Z
17th June 2017, 19:20
Thank you to all for putting up with my newness, and giving me great advice and information.

Putting up? What are you talking about! It's great to read your comments, expecially since you are from the US, the country of NASCAR and Indy! :)

Thousandlakes
17th June 2017, 21:54
Revman. Next two rallies Toyota will be hard to beat. Especially I am waiting Lappis performance at lot. Here in Finland we have some kind of Lappi hype going on. Press and other media here in Finland are interested about him much now. They woke up finally after Rally Sardinia ;) I am waiting a lot next two races. Poland has nice and fast roads and Rally Finland is just amazing. Mother of all rallies.

Thousandlakes
17th June 2017, 22:01
[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SgOK95kpTZ8&feature=youtu.be[/L

Lappi in action

MrJan
18th June 2017, 03:03
Poland has nice and fast roads and Rally Finland is just amazing. Mother of all rallies.

Poland scares me, I'm worried that there is going to be a big accident there. It's like a narrow version of Finland stages but with trees closer and fans in stupid spots.

Revman
18th June 2017, 06:49
Putting up? What are you talking about! It's great to read your comments, expecially since you are from the US, the country of NASCAR and Indy! :)

Thank you so much!

Revman
18th June 2017, 06:52
Lappi has been amazing. The car is getting better and better. Very excited for the upcoming rallies. Racing in the US is such an emphasis on the driver--I love the WRC cars. Completely awesome....and in the hands of these brilliant drivers....it is just magic. Just had no idea what I was getting into, but man, this is so awesome!

jparker
18th June 2017, 08:24
Ok, I understand, most people here are rally addicts, but why some of you feel the need to make jokes with other forms of motorsport. Every once in a while someone here will make a joke with NASCAR.
I can ensure you that NASCAR is one of the most demanding an hardest form of motorsport, and as such it deserves more respect.

liposh
18th June 2017, 09:33
I can ensure you that NASCAR is one of the most demanding an hardest form of motorsport, and as such it deserves more respect.
Well, that was good one :D I like your sense of humor. ;) Pure speed is only small part of the whole motorsport concept. Motorsport is also about hard braking, turning right ;) or about slides in some kinds of motorsport. Building oval circuits with 2 or 4 left turns for better logistics and easier spectating is road to hell. It kills motorsport. You canīt support such approach not even in bad dream.

MrJan
18th June 2017, 10:31
Well, that was good one :D I like your sense of humor. ;) Pure speed is only small part of the whole motorsport concept. Motorsport is also about hard braking, turning right ;) or about slides in some kinds of motorsport. Building oval circuits with 2 or 4 left turns for better logistics and easier spectating is road to hell. It kills motorsport. You canīt support such approach not even in bad dream.

I'm not a big Nascar fan but not sure you've actually watched it if you think it's easy. The cars are pretty much drifting the whole time at 200mph and side by side with other cars. I wouldn't call it one of the hardest forms of the sport (not compared to the endurance tests like LM24 or what rallying used to be) but it's definitely difficult and requires skill.

Mirek
18th June 2017, 13:10
On the other hand basically any activity if being held as a competition requires skills to be the best :)

AndyRAC
18th June 2017, 14:50

NASCAR do race on road circuits as well as ovals......

jparker
18th June 2017, 15:45
On the other hand basically any activity if being held as a competition requires skills to be the best :)
It's not only the skills. Mental strength is dominant in NASCAR. I know many will disagree, but while NASCAR drivers will do reasonably well i rally, most rally drivers will not be able to cope with NASCAR races.

focus206
18th June 2017, 16:54
I know many will disagree, but while NASCAR drivers will do reasonably well i rally, most rally drivers will not be able to cope with NASCAR races.

Not even the fastest American rally drivers do reasonably well outside of their domestic championships, and you expect NASCAR drivers to do so? Maybe the can do reasonably well in the domestic championship, considering the level of competition.

MrJan
18th June 2017, 17:29
It's not only the skills. Mental strength is dominant in NASCAR. I know many will disagree, but while NASCAR drivers will do reasonably well i rally, most rally drivers will not be able to cope with NASCAR races.

You're high if you actually think that.

jparker
18th June 2017, 17:38
Not even the fastest American rally drivers do reasonably well outside of their domestic championships, and you expect NASCAR drivers to do so? Maybe the can do reasonably well in the domestic championship, considering the level of competition.
I'm qute sure NASCAR drivers will do better in in their domestic championship. Problem is that rally doesn't inspire many in US.
I remember NASCAR driver giving some hard time to Loeb and Co, during Race of the Champions.

stefanvv
18th June 2017, 17:42
RoC is not rally.

jparker
18th June 2017, 18:18
RoC is not rally.
True.
Anyway, I'll shut up now.
All I wanted to point out is that we should be more tolerant to other forms of motorsport.

stefanvv
18th June 2017, 18:36
True.
Anyway, I'll shut up now.
All I wanted to point out is that we should be more tolerant to other forms of motorsport.

We are.

Rally Power
18th June 2017, 21:04
Update 2 on Fandom: LOVING this sport. Anticipating each upcoming rally. Studying replays to prepare. The cars are fabulous. The drivers are amazing, and fun to listen to. Absolutely, unconditionally, helplessly addicted. It's done. I'm in. Enjoying all that Latvalla is, and captivated by Lappi. Getting some speed from Juno is a bonus. Great, great, great stuff.

Nice to see your enthusiasm for the sport Revman, and how you keep praising every driver and brand involved, even being a Toyota fan. That's the spirit!

racerx1979
19th June 2017, 20:11
I'm qute sure NASCAR drivers will do better in in their domestic championship. Problem is that rally doesn't inspire many in US.
I remember NASCAR driver giving some hard time to Loeb and Co, during Race of the Champions.

Proof that even Loeb has a bad if not horrible day once every few years.

racerx1979
19th June 2017, 20:20
Rally requires people to drive long distances, plan and walk just to see a few cars pass by in the middle of nowhere. Americans (I grew up in the states) want everything to be accessible (read: handed to them). Nascar events serve beer, hotdogs and many sugar filled delights while you're sitting in the stands. No effort required to attend a Nascar event. Just arrive and sit. RallyCross is the same and is getting a lot of traction in the states due to this. Albeit it is a lot more exciting to watch than Nascar. Hence why a ton of American teams have invested into GRC in the states.

I personally love rally. I'm looking forward to spectating in Finland this year. Last year was a blast!