PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & Rumours (part V) 2017

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

jparker
16th February 2017, 19:19
I think max avg speed limit is OK, but it has to be also avg between all drivers in particular class. It more fare.

Rallyper
16th February 2017, 19:49
Don´t think there´s gonna be many hay bales in NRF.

PLuto
16th February 2017, 20:57
I think max avg speed limit is OK, but it has to be also avg between all drivers in particular class. It more fare.

Average speed limit means nothing if it can be slowed down by haybales...

danon
16th February 2017, 21:11
https://s5.postimg.org/tjx4hhlaf/wrc_speedy.jpg

Lousada
16th February 2017, 22:26
Instead of haybales they could also randomly place pylons in the middle of the road. The drivers would then have to drift around them twice before they could continue, like they do at super specials.

Andre Oliveira
16th February 2017, 22:28
A stage with fast section and slow section, with speed average inside limitation will be safer on the fast section?

N.O.T
16th February 2017, 22:55
hay balls give a stupid sensation of safety because they only reduce straight line speed, ok for the welsh that they cannot think anything else than sheep farming and mud stacking bogey times and hay balls are a solution, but not for the top of the sport.

a 4th gear corner with bad camber and trees on the outside with no ditch in between is a million times worse than a 120mph straight.

MrJan
16th February 2017, 23:01
a 4th gear corner with bad camber and trees on the outside with no ditch in between is a million times worse than a 120mph straight.

Yep. Makes the whole thing even more ridiculous. When was the last time we saw a proper accident on a straight bit of stage?

Hartusvuori
17th February 2017, 07:11
Yep. Makes the whole thing even more ridiculous. When was the last time we saw a proper accident on a straight bit of stage?

Rally Sweden shakedown 2015.

jparker
17th February 2017, 08:36
A stage with fast section and slow section, with speed average inside limitation will be safer on the fast section?

Of course not, but this kind of stages are not common. For most rallies the stages don't have big ups and downs in terms of speed, so yes, average speed is good overview parameter of the stage, but should be used in conjunction with other parameters as well. If FIA wants limit, that's fine, it will not change much.
As already mentioned, few hay balls and the stage will be within the limits.

Rallyper
17th February 2017, 09:47
Of course not, but this kind of stages are not common. For most rallies the stages don't have big ups and downs in terms of speed, so yes, average speed is good overview parameter of the stage, but should be used in conjunction with other parameters as well. If FIA wants limit, that's fine, it will not change much.
As already mentioned, few hay balls and the stage will be within the limits.

As said before, some hay bales doesn´t lower the top speeds on a stage. And the safety reason from FIA falls.

jparker
17th February 2017, 09:51
As said before, some hay bales doesn´t lower the top speeds on a stage. And the safety reason from FIA falls.

I guess they have to place it properly then. I don't see any reason why hay ball can't reduce top speeds.

jparker
17th February 2017, 10:37

That's pretty basic thinking statement. It may be worse because of the higher chances for that to happen, but even for kids its known that the higher the speed, the worst the impact will be.

dupanton
17th February 2017, 10:41
Rumours about Abbring competing the first rally of the Belgian Championship with the Peugeot Belgium 208 R5.

That would surely mean the end of his contract with Hyundai.

I do repeat, it's a rumour but comming from the biggest autosport magazine in Belgium.

MrJan
17th February 2017, 10:43
That's pretty basic thinking statement. It may be worse because of the higher chances for that to happen, but even for kids its known that the higher the speed, the worst the impact will be.

That's pretty simplistic thinking too. A sudden impact at 50mph can put more energy to the occupants of a car than a big roll at 100mph. Think about McRae's accident in Corsica in the Focus (forget what year) and compare it to Burns in Finland (Subaru, big roll at the flying finish) or Tommi's big off at Argentina when he was with Subaru. Cutting speeds on a stage doesn't automatically make it safer, it's all completely relative.

jparker
17th February 2017, 10:48
That's pretty simplistic thinking too. A sudden impact at 50mph can put more energy to the occupants of a car than a big roll at 100mph. Think about McRae's accident in Corsica in the Focus (forget what year) and compare it to Burns in Finland (Subaru, big roll at the flying finish) or Tommi's big off at Argentina when he was with Subaru. Cutting speeds on a stage doesn't automatically make it safer, it's all completely relative.

Well, it's your interpretation simplistic, not what I have said. I don't compare different possibilities. Same kind of incident can happen on any place, doesn't matter straight or turn. In such cases, speed can be the difference between life and death.

Fast Eddie WRC
17th February 2017, 11:39
The impact of 2017 rules appearing, like Ostberg's wing flying off ?

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/wrc/11165-new-challenges-from-the-2017-wrc-rules

Fast Eddie WRC
17th February 2017, 11:45
Citroen/Matton on their poor start:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/february-2017/matton-citoen/page/4315--12-12-.html

BigWorm
17th February 2017, 12:35

Agreed. Just look at Camilli's onboard from Monte Carlo in 2016 when he crashed out. Wasn't going faster than he would on a straight, but his impact with a tree was big enough to wreck the roll cage. The A pillar on his car was inches away from hitting him in the face. High speed rolls are something drivers usually gets away with.

MrJan
17th February 2017, 13:29
Well, it's your interpretation simplistic, not what I have said. I don't compare different possibilities. Same kind of incident can happen on any place, doesn't matter straight or turn. In such cases, speed can be the difference between life and death.

Not my interpretation. You wrote: "the higher the speed, the worst the impact will be." but that's not always the case, hence why your view is simplistic.

Two accidents I mentioned. One is flat out in 6th gear, taking what you wrote that means worse impact because it's higher speed. Except that it wasn't, driver and co-driver walked away. The other is much slower, still quick but probably 3rd or 4th gear. The drive was trapped and injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvnvfWlwqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMhSiKG6wfs

I'm not saying that speed doesn't have a bearing sometimes, just that there are a lot of factors and a high speed straight doesn't make a stage unsafe. A blanket ban on quick stages doesn't automatically make rallying safe, and a succession of stages over 130kph doesn't mean it's automatically dangerous either. THere is balance...but the FIA lacks that.

dimviii
17th February 2017, 13:42
watch from 4,30. Loeb Norway before 8 years.....
https://youtu.be/yyb0Fs08JY4?t=267

jparker
17th February 2017, 14:18
Not my interpretation. You wrote: "the higher the speed, the worst the impact will be." but that's not always the case, hence why your view is simplistic.

Two accidents I mentioned. One is flat out in 6th gear, taking what you wrote that means worse impact because it's higher speed. Except that it wasn't, driver and co-driver walked away. The other is much slower, still quick but probably 3rd or 4th gear. The drive was trapped and injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvnvfWlwqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMhSiKG6wfs

I'm not saying that speed doesn't have a bearing sometimes, just that there are a lot of factors and a high speed straight doesn't make a stage unsafe. A blanket ban on quick stages doesn't automatically make rallying safe, and a succession of stages over 130kph doesn't mean it's automatically dangerous either. THere is balance...but the FIA lacks that.

Ok, fine. I should have added that I'm talking about the same kind of incident. Sorry about that.

skarderud
17th February 2017, 14:22
watch from 4,30. Loeb Norway before 8 years.....
https://youtu.be/yyb0Fs08JY4?t=267
Cool, hasn't seen this one before, i was marshall at stageend on this one:)

Sent fra min XP7700 via Tapatalk

Fast Eddie WRC
17th February 2017, 16:24
Colin Clark said in his post-Sweden vlog that the fast stage that was cancelled was a boring one anyway... long straight-turn-long straight-turn etc. He said we want roads with variety... and he's right.

So its the choice of roads that is the problem, not the cars. If Knon hadnt been newly-introduced then we wouldnt be having all this debate.

mm77
17th February 2017, 16:58
Are there any rumours of new manufacturers coming to WRC in near future 18/19 season for example ? Its rather boring right now with 4 manufacturers...

N.O.T
17th February 2017, 17:00
Are there any rumours of new manufacturers coming to WRC in near future 18/19 season for example ? Its rather boring right now with 4 manufacturers...

nobody forces you to watch if you find something boring. No new manufacturers in the near future, sorry kid.

MrJan
17th February 2017, 17:07

Nice trolling.

MrJan
17th February 2017, 17:08
nobody forces you to watch if you find something boring. No new manufacturers in the near future, sorry kid.

Can I save that quote to use back at you?

tommeke_B
17th February 2017, 17:29
Colin Clark said in his post-Sweden vlog that the fast stage that was cancelled was a boring one anyway... long straight-turn-long straight-turn etc. He said we want roads with variety... and he's right.

So its the choice of roads that is the problem, not the cars. If Knon hadnt been newly-introduced then we wouldnt be having all this debate.

The real question is why did the FIA approve this stage in the first place? Maybe it's time for FIA to hire some drivers/co-drivers with recent experience on top level...
We drove Knon before the event, and I thought the average would be higher than it actually was.

Anyway it's ridiculous to ban stages over 130kph average, as some said here, it doesn't have anything to do with safety.

tommeke_B
17th February 2017, 17:59
That's funny, because FIA actually listened to current drivers complaining about excessive speed, but I guess you know better.
I guess they should hire somebody from this forum that knows nothing about safety.
Where did you find these complaints? Looks like I've missed them somehow... Anyway, on saturday night I talked to the driver of the FIA safety car. I asked why they approved it in the first place, didn't get an answer about that, apart from that he said they (FIA/Michèle Mouton) recommended to cancel it because of the high average speed, not because of some particular safety issues.

GravelBen
17th February 2017, 23:28
Where did you find these complaints? Looks like I've missed them somehow...

I think I heard a comment from Ogier saying the speeds were getting too fast, all of the other drivers seemed to think the speed was fine.

er88
18th February 2017, 00:06
Go away

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thousandlakes
18th February 2017, 05:18
Kalle Rovanperä is leading rally vaakuna in Finnish championship by 12.6 sec after 2 ss! huge pace he has. Awesome talent for sure. Lets see if he is driving wales rally later this year. He is 17 years by then. Malcolm already called him ;)

ruesluporp
18th February 2017, 11:59
I think I heard a comment from Ogier saying the speeds were getting too fast, all of the other drivers seemed to think the speed was fine.

If Ogier says the speed is getting too fast, eveybody listen. He was World Champion four times in a row. The others...not!

janvanvurpa
18th February 2017, 17:28
Of course not, but this kind of stages are not common. For most rallies the stages don't have big ups and downs in terms of speed, .

Really? What sort of stages do you run? Because ALL, every one i have done start at ZERO and then I gas it as hard and long as I can---rev limiter was set so top speed was 105mph or approx 170km/hr...and oddly enough in a 90 degree T junction on one lane road, speed is for the heroes about the same PEAK lowest around 25mph, or right about 40 km/hr (the difference to the real guys being how well they use their MUCH superior brakes approaching the corner, and how quickly and how hard they are on the gas exiting...but time and again when there is any speed display---even for Loeb or top WRC guys, watch and you'll see it dip to 40km/hr for an instant before bang they're gone)

So where have you been that there's stages that don't have big ups and downs in terms of speed?

janvanvurpa
18th February 2017, 17:30
Kalle Rovanperä is leading rally vaakuna in Finnish championship by 12.6 sec after 2 ss! huge pace he has. Awesome talent for sure. Lets see if he is driving wales rally later this year. He is 17 years by then. Malcolm already called him ;)

Isn't genetics amazing?

satukata
18th February 2017, 17:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9otiWfmXrQ

jparker
18th February 2017, 18:53
Really? What sort of stages do you run? Because ALL, every one i have done start at ZERO and then I gas it as hard and long as I can---rev limiter was set so top speed was 105mph or approx 170km/hr...and oddly enough in a 90 degree T junction on one lane road, speed is for the heroes about the same PEAK lowest around 25mph, or right about 40 km/hr (the difference to the real guys being how well they use their MUCH superior brakes approaching the corner, and how quickly and how hard they are on the gas exiting...but time and again when there is any speed display---even for Loeb or top WRC guys, watch and you'll see it dip to 40km/hr for an instant before bang they're gone)

So where have you been that there's stages that don't have big ups and downs in terms of speed?

I may be wrong, but if you are not providing any kind of analyses, you can't pretend to be right either.

janvanvurpa
18th February 2017, 19:52
I may be wrong, but if you are not providing any kind of analyses, you can't pretend to be right either.

Not presenting analysis? Analysis? Actually I was being extremely polite in showing how that statement you made and which I empasisied was flat wrong in my personal experience on Stages in USA (Mainly the PNW and The NE, and Michigan--also western Canada (Alberta) and Quebec..And from observining Club, Nationals and WRC events in France, England and Sweden...and talking with drivers and organizers...

And it was a question: what kind of stages have you done where you don't start at zero and go whatever the car will do//whatever you dare on the straights?

You MAY be right for the stages you've done, but I don't know who you are, where you've been to develop what sounds to me to be a crazy misunderstanding..

And, I didn't know there was a rule somewhere that says if a question one statement, I must offer an "analysis'' of what? What I'm questions..

Show me in the Constitution where it says I must provide analysis when asking somebody how they arrived at an anomalous opinion!

jparker
18th February 2017, 20:29
Not presenting analysis? Analysis? Actually I was being extremely polite in showing how that statement you made and which I empasisied was flat wrong in my personal experience on Stages in USA (Mainly the PNW and The NE, and Michigan--also western Canada (Alberta) and Quebec..And from observining Club, Nationals and WRC events in France, England and Sweden...and talking with drivers and organizers...

And it was a question: what kind of stages have you done where you don't start at zero and go whatever the car will do//whatever you dare on the straights?

You MAY be right for the stages you've done, but I don't know who you are, where you've been to develop what sounds to me to be a crazy misunderstanding..

And, I didn't know there was a rule somewhere that says if a question one statement, I must offer an "analysis'' of what? What I'm questions..

Show me in the Constitution where it says I must provide analysis when asking somebody how they arrived at an anomalous opinion!

I was flat wrong? Boy, you are real american pro. Good lack fining many 40km turns on a stages with avg speed above 120km.

denkimi
18th February 2017, 20:39
what some seem to forget, is that not every competitor drives a super safe wrc car.

further back in the order there can be amateurs that drive a home build group N car that will do 230km/h or more if the straight is long enough. cars that are nowhere near as safe, nowhere near as well maintained en nowhere near as well driven, but with a driver that still keeps his right foot down.

i can tell you from my personal experience that driving an old homemade clio at a local rallysprint at 210km/h through a corner that is "maybe flatout", is scary.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th February 2017, 21:30
Neuville won all 8 stages on today's Legend Boucles de Bastogne...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4-k4YzWQAA7FnH.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4-k4YuXUAE5pp7.jpg

N.O.T
18th February 2017, 22:21
what some seem to forget, is that not every competitor drives a super safe wrc car.

further back in the order there can be amateurs that drive a home build group N car that will do 230km/h or more if the straight is long enough. cars that are nowhere near as safe, nowhere near as well maintained en nowhere near as well driven, but with a driver that still keeps his right food down.

i can tell you from my personal experience that driving an old homemade clio at a local rallysprint at 210km/h through a corner that is "maybe flatout", is scary.

what makes a WRC car supersafe ?

Lousada
18th February 2017, 22:27

further back in the order there can be amateurs that drive a home build group N car that will do 230km/h or more if the straight is long enough. cars that are nowhere near as safe, nowhere near as well maintained en nowhere near as well driven, but with a driver that still keeps his right food down.

Every safety feature from rollcage, belts, helmet to fire extinguisher has to be FIA certified. So every car is supposed to have the same basic safety standards as the WRC.

MrJan
18th February 2017, 22:36

The 'home built' stuff will still have homologated roll cages...although a bit of a moot point seeing as anything entering a WRC round isn't going to be home built anyway...in fact a good portion of the field comes from exactly the same place as the car that Ogier is driving.

sollitt
19th February 2017, 00:25
I wonder how many of you slagging the FIA over this issue have ever driven a stage at over 130kph average. Or listened to competitors views on the matter.
Like others, I had read that Ogier voiced his concerns. No doubt others did also.
It's nothing new. In 1993 Rally NZ a stage in the Waikato was cancelled as the WRC teams (incl. McRae, Auriol, Kankunnen, Sainz, Delecour etc...) all complained that it was too fast. Not a 're-run' stage so they hadn't driven it at all at rally speed but instinctively knew that it would be too fast.
In '95 the return of the mighty Motu stage was cancelled when the WRC teams (many of the same as '93) complained it would be too rough having already been run once in the opposite direction.

At the end of the day this is a matter of stage/road selection and that's the responsibility of the organisers. The FIA just issue the guidelines.

raybak
19th February 2017, 01:07
I agree with Sollitt about the road selection by organisers. I have been road director for quite a few events and will be for many more in the future, picking the roads if you are not a knowledgeable competitor as well can be quite hard. I'm lucky enough that I have run at the top level in Australia in both gravel and tarmac events, this gives me enough background to write a good roadbook I believe. I have been to rallies written by people who don't understand how fast the cars can go now, these events I just don't attend now. About 10 years ago at Targa Tasmania tarmac rally we competed on a stage where we found out the M3R still had the speed limiter on it at 255kmh. The stage was dangerous and all the competitors voted for it not to be included again, it hasn't been back in it's full length since.

Currently setting a rally through farmland with some forests, first part of one stage cars will be quite fast up to 210kmh and then at the final forest part there are tight twisty sections down to 40kmh. The fast area I believe is less dangerous than the forest area with less to hit and fast flowing corners with no fences. Only problem will be Kangaroos as there are thousands out there.

Ray

janvanvurpa
19th February 2017, 01:28
I was flat wrong? Boy, you are real american pro. Good lack fining many 40km turns on a stages with avg speed above 120km.

You are seemingly like the worst sort of pure troll..
I've asked which stages you have done--at which events, to TRY to understanf where you formed your opinions..
Dodging that 3 times, lack of name..

I have no idea who you are, where you come from, what you have done--or NOT..
And while were at it no I'm not an American pro---not at this motorsport. And only 1/2 American at that so bite me.

But I don't bob and weave and hide about where I did my motorsport and what my name is..

3 times..

MrJan
19th February 2017, 01:57
I wonder how many of you slagging the FIA over this issue have ever driven a stage at over 130kph average. Or listened to competitors views on the matter.
Like others, I had read that Ogier voiced his concerns. No doubt others did also.

The only comments I saw in regard to it was a driver (forget who, possibly Paddon or Meeke) saying that they didn't think the stage was dangerous, just boring.

And the FIA are bound to take a bit of negativity on this, they've introduced faster cars with more aero but are now looking to limit them.

Mariusz
19th February 2017, 04:45
And the FIA are bound to take a bit of negativity on this, they've introduced faster cars with more aero but are now looking to limit them.
Actually they don't want to directly limit them, they want to limit the time when they are at their max speed. I think it's more a message to rally organizers to find more interesting roads. Unfortunately some of them will probably just use hay bales. Or big tractors or whatever they have at hand.

dodge33cymru
19th February 2017, 08:21
@sollitt - you make a very fair point, as did the gentleman making the argument about Group N cars - I accept your points and if the drivers complained then it's fair enough to consider.

The other thing here is the image that it portrays. They could have been a lot more subtle about it but, instead, the Toyota winning story was top of the motorsports press for a couple of days and then two days later it was headlined by this article.

I have friends who have an interest in cars and sometimes racing but don't follow rallying and even they read about the FIA saying the cars are going too fast. If the stages need slowing, fair enough, but it could have been handled in a much, much better way IMO.

SubaruNorway
19th February 2017, 09:57
The only comments I saw in regard to it was a driver (forget who, possibly Paddon or Meeke) saying that they didn't think the stage was dangerous, just boring.

And Ogier only said it was super fast and hard to find confidence on TV at least, it's just a couple corners that are a bit nasty if you go off. Other than that the stage looked fine. The way they run Vargåsen now it should be possible to run the old Torsby/Thorntorp stage on the same day instead of Knon though, making the rally a bit more compact.

A FONDO
19th February 2017, 13:30
Every safety feature from rollcage, belts, helmet to fire extinguisher has to be FIA certified. So every car is supposed to have the same basic safety standards as the WRC.

This is like saying all tyres are round and black :laugh:

Mirek
19th February 2017, 13:42

There are stages which aren't any superfast with such average and others which are. The nature of stages in various countries, regions etc. differ a lot and the average speed alone is uselful value only for comparing very similar stages (let's say two Swedish ones but not one from Sweden and one from Germany).

You can have a stage with relatively low average speed due to many junctions but otherwise extremely fast (Ypres for example) but also stages which are just fluent without any junctions at all with higher average speed. Also typical for Central Europe - You can make average speed way lower by setting a slow technical passing through every village on the stage but if You cut the stage to the parts outside of the villages alone the average speed would easily reach 140 km/h. That's reality of the geographical conditions in some countries.

mousti
19th February 2017, 14:27
Neuville wins 18/18 stages of Legends Boucles de Spa. A class or 2 above everyone else..

Onboard with Neuville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4fCV2rewk&feature=youtu.be

jacko
19th February 2017, 14:30
Kevin Abbring with co-pilot (!) Pieter Tsjoen in the Belgian championship with a Peugeot 208 T16 !
Wonder what that will do with his connection with Hyundai. Because he was not at Sweden and there's not a programm at all at the moment @Hyundai for him i think Kevin does the only right thing: driving rally's again and hopefully he will get another chance at a factory-team somewhere but at the moment i only think it's Hyunday itself or PSA for possibilities.

BigWorm
19th February 2017, 15:01
Neuville wins 18/18 stages of Legends Boucles de Spa. A class or 2 above everyone else..

Onboard with Neuville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4fCV2rewk&feature=youtu.be

He didn't crash out on the last stage of saturday! Should bode well for Mexico

jbmarcus21
20th February 2017, 10:07
Marcus Grönholm debuts test with Skoda Motorsport => http://bit.ly/2llVYCl

Simmi
20th February 2017, 21:11
Marcus Grönholm debuts test with Skoda Motorsport => http://bit.ly/2llVYCl

Seen a couple of Finnish media guys on Twitter linking this test and Gronholm's presence to a Skoda WRC return. What do people think?

Andre Oliveira
20th February 2017, 21:34
First test of Polo R5 life:)

RS
21st February 2017, 05:41
I'm really not sure how this works for Skoda.. they do all the groundwork (again) and then VW come and 'steal' it and then dilute the R5 market.

I suppose Skoda are the junior partner, but couldn't VW have found something else to do?

Mirek
21st February 2017, 08:28
I know it's just a video from cell phone but it doesn't sound a lot like Fabia.

EstWRC
21st February 2017, 12:07
FIA's block on 2017 VW WRC car a 'punch in the face' for Mikkelsen

Andreas Mikkelsen says the FIA's decision not to let Volkswagen's 2017 car compete in the World Rally Championship is a "punch in the face" that leaves his season uncertain.

The plan to get the 2017 Polo R WRC out with a private team was Mikkelsen's best hope of a drive in a top-class machine this season following the factory VW programme's demise.

"I don't know what more I could have done to get a drive this year," Mikkelsen told Autosport.

"I was running second in the championship for virtually all of last year and I won the last rally.

"Basically everything that could have gone wrong went wrong and the latest decision [to bar the 2017 VW] was another punch in the face."

Mikkelsen had returned to the works Skoda team for the Monte Carlo Rally, where he dominated WRC2, and could still make further appearances in the R5 Fabia.

But he sees little point in competing in anything other than a 2017 car in the World Rally Car class.

"I need to be in a 2017 car," he said.

"I could find the budget to drive a 2016 car, but it would cost a lot and I would be fighting to finish eighth. It's not really worth it.

"To be honest, I'm a professional driver and I don't think I should have to pay to drive.

"I've done it before and I won't do it again.

"It would show the sport in a really negative way if I had to do this.

"I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody, it's not so long since Australia or Monte Carlo."

Mikkelsen's options for a 2017 seat are severely restricted, particularly without a large budget.

M-Sport's Ford Fiesta WRC is the only car on the market for private drivers this season.

He will still conduct recces for every rally this season and said at least watching from the sidelines gave him chance to assess 2018 options.

"I have chance to look at what everybody has got and we can make a picture about where is the best place to be in 2018 when I want to come back and fight for the world championship," said Mikkelsen.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128185/mikkelsen-fia-vw-block-a-punch-in-the-face

rallyfiend
21st February 2017, 12:08
FIA's block on 2017 VW WRC car a 'punch in the face' for Mikkelsen

Andreas Mikkelsen says the FIA's decision not to let Volkswagen's 2017 car compete in the World Rally Championship is a "punch in the face" that leaves his season uncertain.

The plan to get the 2017 Polo R WRC out with a private team was Mikkelsen's best hope of a drive in a top-class machine this season following the factory VW programme's demise.

"I don't know what more I could have done to get a drive this year," Mikkelsen told Autosport.

"I was running second in the championship for virtually all of last year and I won the last rally.

"Basically everything that could have gone wrong went wrong and the latest decision [to bar the 2017 VW] was another punch in the face."

Mikkelsen had returned to the works Skoda team for the Monte Carlo Rally, where he dominated WRC2, and could still make further appearances in the R5 Fabia.

But he sees little point in competing in anything other than a 2017 car in the World Rally Car class.

"I need to be in a 2017 car," he said.

"I could find the budget to drive a 2016 car, but it would cost a lot and I would be fighting to finish eighth. It's not really worth it.

"To be honest, I'm a professional driver and I don't think I should have to pay to drive.

"I've done it before and I won't do it again.

"It would show the sport in a really negative way if I had to do this.

"I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody, it's not so long since Australia or Monte Carlo."

Mikkelsen's options for a 2017 seat are severely restricted, particularly without a large budget.

M-Sport's Ford Fiesta WRC is the only car on the market for private drivers this season.

He will still conduct recces for every rally this season and said at least watching from the sidelines gave him chance to assess 2018 options.

"I have chance to look at what everybody has got and we can make a picture about where is the best place to be in 2018 when I want to come back and fight for the world championship," said Mikkelsen.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128185/mikkelsen-fia-vw-block-a-punch-in-the-face

Surely if he has a sponsor / team to run the 2017 VW, then he can just transfer to the Ford, for example?

Why is driving the VW so important?

Seems a strange argument.

drive
21st February 2017, 12:13
Surely if he has a sponsor / team to run the 2017 VW, then he can just transfer to the Ford, for example?

Why is driving the VW so important?

Seems a strange argument.

maybe 'cos vw is available NOW to drive, so to say, sitting in a VW Motorsport somewhere... as for Ford - waiting list...

Fast Eddie WRC
21st February 2017, 12:36
As soon as Ogier went to M-Sport then the chances of any Polo drive was dead. AM should have immediately got on with sorting a Fiesta (with Ostberg and/or Prokop).

Franky
21st February 2017, 13:18
I understand Mikkelsen point of view, but he seems like a prima donna from N.O.T's "favourite" sport, F1.

EstWRC
21st February 2017, 13:33
I understand Mikkelsen point of view, but he seems like a prima donna from N.O.T's "favourite" sport, F1.

i wanted to write the same but i thought i would be the only one here.

RS
21st February 2017, 13:59
I know it's just a video from cell phone but it doesn't sound a lot like Fabia.

Can't really tell from that video but could also be the evo2 Fabia?

Mirek
21st February 2017, 14:30
What is that? :)

But maybe it is really different engine. Portugal is held in May when some major modifications shall be available.

Mirek
21st February 2017, 14:38

Maybe he is but on the other hand he is for sure better driver than many of those who have the seat. I can't understand why he doesn't drive. It's like if the teams didn't want his points.

mousti
21st February 2017, 14:42
He's right though, but is seen as an prima donna in Norway. I heard last year that some Norwegians to support Ostberg instead of Mikkelsen because of this.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

AL14
21st February 2017, 14:50
I don't agree with some of you guys. Where is the prima donna here? He is among the TOP 3 drivers in the world and he has reached this result with hard job and dedication...and also paying for drive at the beginning of his career.

Refusing to pay again is in my opinion acting as a serious professional driver would act. Or at least doesn't make him prima donna. That's costly and even if he is rich he is very much free to spend his own money the way he wants.

He can refuse to pay, there's nothing wrong for me, he is not disrespecting anyone or the sport. The norwegian people who are backing Ostberg instead of him for that are no real fan. Better for him if he lost them. (imho).

Fast Eddie WRC
21st February 2017, 15:14
I dont think he is acting incorrectly wanting a paid drive, but he was wrong to put all his eggs in the Polo basket...

BigWorm
21st February 2017, 15:52
Major frustration for him, but he needs to drop it. The VW-ship has sailed. If he wants to be a works driver, then he should drive for Skoda since they're the only team that offers him that right now, the other teams have made their decisions already. Even though they're strange, the decisions have been made.

Eric
21st February 2017, 16:00
He's right though, but is seen as an prima donna in Norway. I heard last year that some Norwegians to support Ostberg instead of Mikkelsen because of this.

Some seem to think that there is too much party and glamour around Mikkelsen. If you take a look at his social medias you can't really blame them. But... Who cares as long as he is doing a good job behind the wheel.

AL14
21st February 2017, 16:15
Some seem to think that there is too much party and glamour around Mikkelsen. If you take a look at his social medias you can't really blame them. But... Who cares as long as he is doing a good job behind the wheel.

Jesus what kind of fans Mikkelsen has? Even if he isn't doing a good job behind the wheel why shouldn't him have fun? Are they paying him? Are all of them having fun only if they work hard during the week and staying at home if they don't work well?
If they were rich and goodlooking like him they wouldn't be doing the same?
lol

Sulland
21st February 2017, 16:31
Well, I can only speak for myself.
I chear all norwegians that are driving home and abroad.
After Petter and Henning a few others have gotten the chance in the circus.

We also have EVEN management, trying to match the Finish way of managing young drivers in a professional manner.

for me it is more fun following a rally with Norwegians, than without - simple as that!

jparker
21st February 2017, 17:06
Maybe he is but on the other hand he is for sure better driver than many of those who have the seat. I can't understand why he doesn't drive. It's like if the teams didn't want his points.

Agreed. It's not only Mikkelsen, many others are loosing too.

EstWRC
21st February 2017, 17:17

i agree 100% and i have also said in the past that i dont get how he didnt get a drive instead of some other drivers. But his only chance at the moment is to pay and get some rallies under his belt and show that he still has the speed. But he is acting like a spoiled child who starts to cry and says im not paying and this and that. Sitting out whole season and doing only recces will hurt him a lot IMO but we will see.

Allez Andruet
21st February 2017, 17:18
"To be honest, I'm a professional driver and I don't think I should have to pay to drive."

"I've done it before and I won't do it again."

"It would show the sport in a really negative way if I had to do this."

Jesus Christ... there's only VW to blame, no-one else. Ofcourse he'd deserve to be in WRC, no doubt, but hey, it was his employer who pulled the plug in November! The teams are allowed to make their own decisions and at the end of the day it's them who decide who's got a seat. So all this childish talk that "I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody"... aargh, it's not what you think, or what your fans or anyone else think - it's the decision the teams make. And if you're sitting mid-February without a car, then yes, you do have something to prove. Simple as that. And for the millointh time, he wasn't left without a seat as it's often being drawn out - his team just quit. There's a huge difference there.

And this "It would show the sport in a really negative way if I had to do this."... how hypocrite is that? We've had guys like Camilli doing full season, Al-Qassimi drives a factory Citroen every now and then and suddenly, if Mikkelsen would have to pay for a drive it'd "show the sport in a really negative way"?

What did Vatanen do in 1982 (as a defending World Champ)? Or Petter in 2008? They both could've used the same excuses Mikkelsen is using, but instead they actually DID something.

bowler
21st February 2017, 17:21
motorsport is littered with people who think they deserve a drive, and most of them do. Some are just unlucky and miss out.

jparker
21st February 2017, 17:54
Hyundai & Citroen ditched VW, now they are ditching themselves. I hope they are not religious.

mknight
21st February 2017, 18:25
..and show that he still has the speed...

Sure he suddenly lost all speed after not driving 1(2) rallies.
Btw. consider who has drives now: Evans after missing a season (and not like he beat 4 times world champion in same car before that) and Hanninen after 3 seasons away and at best mediocre results before that. Also Ogier became WC after "missing" a season.

I totally agree with the first part of what he says, he barely could have done better in 2016 to "deserve" a seat. I also agree that there is no point in driving a 2016 car. Apart from doing the recce on all rounds (which indeed is a good idea), I'd say he should also drive a few just to stay even better updated on the stages. I do understand that he doesn't want to get committed to building own team or long-term car renting if he thinks he has a very good chance of getting a factory seat "soon" (latest for 2018).

So the question is what to do before he gets a seat. Buy a few rounds in a 2017 car? Only choice there is Ford and the Fiesta didn't look all that impressive in Sweden. Also there is a real danger that "client" Fords will quickly loose competitiveness as the factory cars are further developed. So my guess is that he will wait 1-2 rounds at least before deciding on further actions. Overall the best short term option would be to drive some rounds in an R5 that he does not have to pay for.

EstWRC
21st February 2017, 18:28
i didnt say he lost the speed but it is a fact we havent seen him driving with a 17 machine and we dont know how fast he would be.

anyway this topic is done for me and i really hopes he gets some outings this year.

Franky
21st February 2017, 18:40

I was ready to take the hit :D

But I won't drag it any further as pretty much everything has been said already.

Munkvy
21st February 2017, 18:56
How much have Autosport taken this out of context/made more of it than there really is? As it's about the only ongoing story around to beat on in the WRC, other than Citroens poor results? Could well be that he had one interview and they have turned it into a repeating story to keep people talking/reading their site...

I think everyone agrees he got a raw deal, but such is life, now is the time to do something about it.

MrJan
21st February 2017, 19:50
I don't agree with some of you guys. Where is the prima donna here?

Bitching about it to the media. As bowler says, loads of drivers in motorsport deserve a drive but don't have it, and loads have a drive but don't deserve it. Mikkelsen isn't that special...other than having been on a cushy VW/Red Bull number for the last 4 or 5 years while others didn't get a shot.

jbmarcus21
21st February 2017, 20:03
Marcus testing today with Fabia R5 ➡ http://bit.ly/2llVYCl

Thousandlakes
21st February 2017, 20:13
Grönholm said in newest finnish rally magazine (vauhdin maailma) that he is going to secret test. OK now we know that test is with Skoda. Just guessing is it somekind start of Skodas wrc project or just r5 test without any big secrets??

stefanvv
21st February 2017, 20:16
How much have Autosport taken this out of context/made more of it than there really is?

This

rayh_mx
21st February 2017, 20:35
Grönholm said in newest finnish rally magazine (vauhdin maailma) that he is going to secret test. OK now we know that test is with Skoda. Just guessing is it somekind start of Skodas wrc project or just r5 test without any big secrets??

Will it be the reuse of the engineering used in VW, without using that logo?

RS
21st February 2017, 20:55
Will it be the reuse of the engineering used in VW, without using that logo?

VW can use Skoda's R5 experience and Skoda VW's WRC experience, seems fair :)

liposh
22nd February 2017, 05:43
Guys, to make it clear: There is 0,1% chance that this secret testing was Skoda comeback to WRC and 99,9% chance that it is secret testing of VW R5 which is simply copying of Skoda R5 knowhow.

Mirek
22nd February 2017, 08:30
VW can use Skoda's R5 experience and Skoda VW's WRC experience, seems fair :)

Hold your horses Ron. I don't see a Škoda WRC coming any time soon (if at all).

RS
22nd February 2017, 12:08

I know, but what I wrote would seem fair and sensible.

Skoda already issused a statement earlier in the year saying R5 works well for them, and fits well with their zero-risk 'everything must be sensible and make a profit' approach.

itix
22nd February 2017, 16:50
Jesus Christ... there's only VW to blame, no-one else. Ofcourse he'd deserve to be in WRC, no doubt, but hey, it was his employer who pulled the plug in November! The teams are allowed to make their own decisions and at the end of the day it's them who decide who's got a seat. So all this childish talk that "I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody"... aargh, it's not what you think, or what your fans or anyone else think - it's the decision the teams make. And if you're sitting mid-February without a car, then yes, you do have something to prove. Simple as that. And for the millointh time, he wasn't left without a seat as it's often being drawn out - his team just quit. There's a huge difference there.

And this "It would show the sport in a really negative way if I had to do this."... how hypocrite is that? We've had guys like Camilli doing full season, Al-Qassimi drives a factory Citroen every now and then and suddenly, if Mikkelsen would have to pay for a drive it'd "show the sport in a really negative way"?

What did Vatanen do in 1982 (as a defending World Champ)? Or Petter in 2008? They both could've used the same excuses Mikkelsen is using, but instead they actually DID something.
Correct! Coupled with his party personality and the fact that he thinks he's above certain things it does make him a prima donna

...or r princess as I would prefer. I have never really liked him and this really doesn't add to his plus account.

Ogier did a whole year in wrc 2 and his employer didn't even pull out. A lot of the time employers fall in real life, outside his bubble, and employees go to other less glorious jobs temporarily to get back to something of similar "status" eventually.

Eli
22nd February 2017, 18:03
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/february-2017/italy-route-/page/4323--12-12-.html
Back to Olbia it is then.

PLuto
22nd February 2017, 18:10
Ogier did a whole year in wrc 2 and his employer didn't even pull out.

To be correct, he was not in WRC2 or SWRC. In that entry with Skoda S2000 he was not-registered driver.

itix
22nd February 2017, 18:11
To be correct, he was not in WRC2 or SWRC. In that entry with Skoda S2000 he was not-registered driver.
So even "worse" then.

Hartusvuori
22nd February 2017, 19:03
So even "worse" then.

He was entered in Skoda by his employer. Doesn't compare with what Mikkelsen is facing now.

stefanvv
22nd February 2017, 19:10
He was entered in Skoda by his employer.

Actually AFAIR was his choice to drive, not obligation by VW.

ToughMac
22nd February 2017, 19:27

A WRC return? It come on the back of this if there is a positive outcome.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/skoda-us-launch-decision-set-autumn-2017

SubaruNorway
22nd February 2017, 19:35
Actually AFAIR was his choice to drive, not obligation by VW.

They drove to train the mechanics, sort out the logistics and keep the drivers warm. So definitely an obligation by VW.

dimviii
22nd February 2017, 19:42
Breen
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ0yjy6A2G6/

stefanvv
22nd February 2017, 20:01
They drove to train the mechanics, sort out the logistics and keep the drivers warm. So definitely an obligation by VW.

I thought all this was the collateral duties because Ogier wanted to drive, but I might be wrong. Never too late to learn something if true.

At least I admit that I might be wrong, not claiming something is 100% true.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd February 2017, 20:04
So even "worse" then.

During his 'Skoda time' Ogier did know he had a factory WRC seat coming at VW...

PLuto
22nd February 2017, 20:08
And dont forget that they were testing some parts for VW WRC on that Fabia. Plus collecting data for next season...

itix
22nd February 2017, 21:53
During his 'Skoda time' Ogier did know he had a factory WRC seat coming at VW...
Well given Lefebvres performance and probably also Hänninens, I imagine he can be pretty sure too.

AL14
22nd February 2017, 22:05

This.
Guys Mikkelsen is not being arrogant at media. He is not saying he SHOULD be in a car but he is saying that he is now a professional driver and doesn't want to pay (a hige amount of money) to drive.
That's not being prima donna imo and Ogier's case is totally different. he had an agreement with VW that was building a car around him.

danon
22nd February 2017, 22:42
Mikkelsen is definitely a Donna but not a Prima. Time is ticking away sissy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfgCpOtxMJQ

bowler
23rd February 2017, 07:17

agree with this 100%. Full VW effort

MrJan
23rd February 2017, 08:27
agree with this 100%. Full VW effort

Yep, even down to having VW colours rather than Skoda green

danon
23rd February 2017, 22:39
...Guys Mikkelsen is not being arrogant at media... he is saying that he is now a professional driver and doesn't want to pay (a hige amount of money) to drive...
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/smurfs/images/e/e2/Pile_Of_Gold_Coins.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111012140000

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd February 2017, 23:09
Well given Lefebvres performance and probably also Hänninens, I imagine he can be pretty sure too.

So Mikkelsen's situation is nothing to worry about.. I 'm sure you've put his mind at rest... he's got the best rally team, car and 4 world titles coming..

itix
24th February 2017, 00:58
So Mikkelsen's situation is nothing to worry about.. I 'm sure you've put his mind at rest... he's got the best rally team, car and 4 world titles coming..
I'm sure you understood perfectly well what I meant!

It isn't Prokop sitting there without a factory seat and to keep in shape while also getting paid really can't be bad.

The teams won't think less of him because of it for sure.

Eli
24th February 2017, 14:18
again 16 rallies in the calendar, this time they want to shorten the competition from 3 days of rallying to 2 & a half 'cause apparently it doesn't make a difference:
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wm/artikel/d/2017/02/23/rallye-wm-ausbau-16-ist-eine-gute-zahl/

SubaruNorway
24th February 2017, 14:26
again 16 rallies in the calendar, this time they want to shorten the competition from 3 days of rallying to 2 & a half 'cause apparently it doesn't make a difference:
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wm/artikel/d/2017/02/23/rallye-wm-ausbau-16-ist-eine-gute-zahl/

But we already have 2 1/2 days...

GigiGalliNo1
24th February 2017, 14:55

This is old news

They spoke about shortening the days of each rally and brining in more

But why travel for so many hours both fans, teams and media, set everything up and then have a rally for 2 days and pack up / go home?!

3-4 day rallies are best

Just like how they are now!

Eli
24th February 2017, 14:55
But we already have 2 1/2 days...
Tell that to the FIA...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Fast Eddie WRC
24th February 2017, 16:16
I'm sure you understood perfectly well what I meant!

It isn't Prokop sitting there without a factory seat and to keep in shape while also getting paid really can't be bad.

The teams won't think less of him because of it for sure.

But a year behind the rest in 2017-car practice wont do Mikkelsen's future prospects any favours.

IMO he should get into a private 2017 Fiesta asap, whatever it takes...

itix
24th February 2017, 16:18
But a year behind the rest in 2017-car practice wont do Mikkelsen's future prospects any favours.

It's not like we are talking Citroen 2cv vs wrc 2017 here... And he has done many kms of testing in the - 17 Polo so he has experience.

EstWRC
24th February 2017, 16:59
FIA eyes MotoGP-style team structure for WRC

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/fia-eyes-motogp-style-team-structure-for-wrc-876831/

HaCo
24th February 2017, 19:13
FIA eyes MotoGP-style team structure for WRC

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/fia-eyes-motogp-style-team-structure-for-wrc-876831/

Good idea!

Fast Eddie WRC
24th February 2017, 20:05
It's not like we are talking Citroen 2cv vs wrc 2017 here... And he has done many kms of testing in the - 17 Polo so he has experience.

True but testing isnt competing and that '17 Polo running will be a long time ago by next January.

danon
24th February 2017, 22:06
Sébastien Ogier is no longer in the top 10 most paid French sportsmen according to the latest ranking published by Team Magazine. The former Volkswagen driver was ranked tenth last year, but now ranks 13th despite steady revenues (8.1 million euros in 2016)... https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-sport.fr%2Fogier-ejecte-top-10%2F

http://www.rallye-sport.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Ogier-MonteCarlo-2017.jpg

pantealex
25th February 2017, 10:02

any 2017 WRC is what he needs, I don´t believe Fiesta is better option than others...

EstWRC
25th February 2017, 10:09
But It is the only option at the moment....

pantealex
25th February 2017, 12:36
But It is the only option at the moment....

Do you know how many are waiting for Fiesta ?

Maybe it´s possible to get another brand sooner...

dimviii
25th February 2017, 13:08
which is the brand that can get sooner than fiesta?

Fast Eddie WRC
25th February 2017, 16:28
Sébastien Ogier is no longer in the top 10 most paid French sportsmen according to the latest ranking published by Team Magazine. The former Volkswagen driver was ranked tenth last year, but now ranks 13th despite steady revenues (8.1 million euros in 2016)... https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-sport.fr%2Fogier-ejecte-top-10%2F

http://www.rallye-sport.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Ogier-MonteCarlo-2017.jpg

He loves titles, not money.

danon
25th February 2017, 19:36
^ I'll take care of the money...

dimviii
25th February 2017, 20:30
congrats to Mads and Beate

‏@MadsOstberg
My biggest victory and proudest moment ever! We're filled with love and happiness right now. Love you Beate for creating a miracle

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5iKqO6WAAQ3dqA.jpg

lnvs
25th February 2017, 21:19
Sébastien Ogier is no longer in the top 10 most paid French sportsmen according to the latest ranking published by Team Magazine. The former Volkswagen driver was ranked tenth last year, but now ranks 13th despite steady revenues (8.1 million euros in 2016)... https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-sport.fr%2Fogier-ejecte-top-10%2FHow much he will earn this year? VW money + M-sport... :rolleyes:

Mirek
25th February 2017, 21:31
Is it important?

danon
25th February 2017, 21:34
How much he will earn this year? VW money + M-sport... :rolleyes:

are you a taxman...

Eli
26th February 2017, 09:03
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128250/no-hybrids-in-wrc-for-at-least-five-years

lnvs
26th February 2017, 13:30
Is it important?I think WRC salaries are interesting. They are not speculated or listed like in every other sport.

dimviii
26th February 2017, 15:35
Happy birthday to the Master! (43)

http://www.ewrc.cz/images/2006/wrc/ar/pl_w_9_loeb_1.jpg

danon
26th February 2017, 21:05
https://www.facebook.com/Rallye.Sport.fr/videos/10154354303530754/
^
^
https://s5.postimg.org/9sglgbqbr/IMG_0599.jpg

dimviii
27th February 2017, 17:39
Latvala cracked at vw.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/february-2017/latvala-and-ogier-/page/4329--12-12-.html

danon
27th February 2017, 20:54
^ it's more like VW cracked Latvala... the way Ott Tänak is going to be cracked by Malcolm Wilson /Ford/ because of Ogier

EstWRC
27th February 2017, 21:05
lol

MrJan
27th February 2017, 21:10
^ it's more like VW cracked Latvala... the way Ott Tänak is going to be cracked by Malcolm Wilson /Ford/ because of Ogier

Doesn't seem that way so far, Ott was pretty much on the pace of Ogier in the first two rounds.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th February 2017, 21:14
the way Ott Tänak is going to be cracked by Malcolm Wilson /Ford/ because of Ogier

Explain ?

danon
27th February 2017, 21:28
Doesn't seem that way so far, Ott was pretty much on the pace of Ogier in the first two rounds.

ever heard that one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0rAvZtM7w

danon
27th February 2017, 22:35
lol

Explain ?

http://i.giphy.com/l44Qlz74wRpWiF5Dy.gif

seb_sh
27th February 2017, 23:27

That situation from the gif and what Latvala is describing are two completely different things. Use your brain please.

N.O.T
27th February 2017, 23:32
Use your brain please.

the sad thing is that he does...

danon
27th February 2017, 23:41
I like nonsense it wakes up the brain cells...

https://s5.postimg.org/mzamtlbev/Jari_Champ2017.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
28th February 2017, 12:29
I like nonsense it wakes up the brain cells...

https://s5.postimg.org/mzamtlbev/Jari_Champ2017.jpg

There's enough nonsense on here without just saying it for effect.

dimviii
28th February 2017, 13:54
only stupid people will keep posting at a forum they believe there is ''enough nonsense''

Gregor-y
28th February 2017, 15:23

Classic reference but I don't think there were any team orders holding Latvala back. It's not like someone put water in his gas tank, either.

Simmi
28th February 2017, 18:09
There was already talk in Sweden about whether Ott would be asked to step back to let Ogier score more points. So I don't think it's too stupid what danon is suggesting.

If/when the manufacturers title becomes more a direct possibility then Malcolm may get more of an itchy trigger finger on those team orders. But it's too early to worry about that yet. So far I don't think Ott could have done anything more in 2017.

MrJan
28th February 2017, 18:42
There was already talk in Sweden about whether Ott would be asked to step back to let Ogier score more points. So I don't think it's too stupid what danon is suggesting.

People will always talk about that, because Ogier is multi champ..but whether it's being discussed at M-Sport is a different matter. I certainly don't see them choosing to run a car on 3 cylinders instead of just telling a driver to check in to a TC late.

I don't run with the idea of JML cracking at VW because of team orders either. It was clear that he just wasn't comfortable in the team and that they didn't really like his style (he's all touchy feely, not empirical like Ogier is and like VW would want)...y'know, that and the fact that Ogier is obviously a quicker driver. Team orders would have been very low down on the list of reasons he couldn't cut it with the Germans.

GravelBen
28th February 2017, 19:19
...y'know, that and the fact that Ogier is obviously a quicker driver.

Ogier is a more consistent driver. Quicker... maybe not.

Gregor-y
28th February 2017, 20:47
More consistently quicker?

danon
28th February 2017, 20:57
I don't run with the idea of JML cracking at VW because of team orders either. It was clear that he just wasn't comfortable in the team and that they didn't really like his style (he's all touchy feely, not empirical like Ogier is and like VW would want)...y'know, that and the fact that Ogier is obviously a quicker driver. Team orders would have been very low down on the list of reasons he couldn't cut it with the Germans.

- all it takes to crack someone is make him uncofortable... and wait...

in human psychology the breaking point is a moment of stress in which a person breaks down or a situation becomes critical and the intensity of environmental stress necessary to bring this on varies from individual to individual

the rest is history

MrJan
28th February 2017, 21:00

Well if you base your opinions on hunches and hope, then maybe not. If you base it on the empirical evidence then Ogier has been consistently quicker over a number of rallies/seasons.

MrJan
28th February 2017, 21:02

in human psychology the breaking point is a moment of stress in which a person breaks down or a situation becomes critical and the intensity of environmental stress necessary to bring this on varies from individual to individual

the rest is history

You think that VW purposely made their driver uncomfortable from the moment they employed him? That's a pretty wild conspiracy theory, I'm interested in why you think they'd do that.

dimviii
28th February 2017, 21:17

the rest is history

Latvala had the same ''crack'' problems at whole carrier.

danon
28th February 2017, 21:22
You think that VW purposely made their driver uncomfortable from the moment they employed him? That's a pretty wild conspiracy theory, I'm interested in why you think they'd do that.

it's as simple as that - Ogier is a gold mine for any investor

do not be surprised if Ott starts getting uncomfy too

MrJan
28th February 2017, 21:36
it's as simple as that - Ogier is a gold mine for any investor

For that to make sense then it would have required Latvala to be threatening him in at least a few rallies from the start of his VW employment. This was his first season:

Round 1 - retired, crash. Ogier 2nd
Round 2 - 4th, Ogier won
Round 3 - 16th, Ogier won
Round 4 - 3rd, Ogier won
Round 5 - 3rd, Ogier 2nd
Roudn 6 - won, Ogier 10th
Round 7 - 3rd, Ogier won

And it goes on. As far as crackpot theories go you've really got a doozy, it's so good that even your reason for it doesn't make sense.

danon
28th February 2017, 21:59
^@dimviii
Tommi has a big influence on Latvala and can finally make him a champ.
He is like the Master Yoda to Luke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmGhSdHJ41U

^@Mr Jan
Stats...
Sometimes one need a small input or a thrill to make a B-I-G difference... turning the stats upside down making it a big time.

MrJan
28th February 2017, 22:03
^@Mr Jan
Stats...
Sometimes one need a small input or a thrill to make a B-I-G difference... turning the stats upside down making it a big time.

Yeah, sometimes. As in, sometimes Ogier hasn't been quickest....but most of the time he has, despite running first on road etc. etc.

I don't like the guy (trust me, JML is one of my favourite drivers and he's defintely quick) but you're a fool if you try to argue that Ogier hasn't been the quickest out of the two.

Tarmop
28th February 2017, 22:20
Well, he is definitely quick and probably the best universal driver, but mostly he is clever and mentally strong and that is his key to success. When is rivals break under pressure, he does not (to finish 1st you first have to finish). So you can say he is the quickest but thankfully on a good day almost every driver can be quicker or equally quick...we just need more of those days. We shouldn't also forget that he has only used the best available equipment so far, last one built mostly to (by) him.

stefanvv
28th February 2017, 22:24

I guess You missed 2015 wrc season?

danon
28th February 2017, 22:25
Yeah, sometimes... but you're a fool if you try to argue that Ogier hasn't been the quickest out of the two.

I never did. And will never do. You didn't get my point. Take a look at the GIF again and think of Ott vs Ogier. Could the history repeat itself.

For the records: All is based on my sixth chakra who says Ott feels at ease driving the Ford than Ogier. Ford is not Ogier's lethal weapon.

Mintexmemory
28th February 2017, 22:50
Ford is not Ogier's lethal weapon...... YET!

The Skoda wasn't Ogier's lethal weapon either but come Sardinia he was setting a fastest stage time in a S2000. I think by Sardinia Seb O will have discovered the limit of the Fiesta so that he can challenge for 1st without breaking it, something he does better than anyone competing currently. As for Ott, I think he will step up to a new level seeing how the best approaches the job at close quarters.

Andre Oliveira
28th February 2017, 23:13
People forget that even Latvala have much more km on new cars than Ogier. Let him learn the car and teach the car.... i think in Tour de Corse and Portugal we will see much more from him. He is smart, 18pts is better than 0, why push if no total confidence in car yet?

danon
28th February 2017, 23:15
..... YET!

The Skoda wasn't Ogier's lethal weapon either but come Sardinia he was setting a fastest stage time in a S2000. I think by Sardinia Seb O will have discovered the limit of the Fiesta so that he can challenge for 1st without breaking it, something he does better than anyone competing currently. As for Ott, I think he will step up to a new level seeing how the best approaches the job at close quarters.

YET...

they all have UPs & DOWNs...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADPRs_AswDQ

... and PEAKs

Mintexmemory
1st March 2017, 00:08
YET...

... and PEAKs

Then how did the rest of 2012 go? Remember Mikkelsen had a full 2011 of Skoda familiarisation under his belt - was he able to match Ogier?

Fast forward to 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHZHxde8RE

He makes mistakes from time to time but fewer than the competition over the course of a season and he is a challenger on every surface. He has beaten Latvala and Mikkelsen for 4 years without having to invoke the Loeb gambit! He is just better and like a maestro can make an old fiddle sound like a Strad!!

danon
1st March 2017, 00:38
Then how did the rest of 2012 go? Remember Mikkelsen had a full 2011 of Skoda familiarisation under his belt - was he able to match Ogier?

Fast forward to 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHZHxde8RE

He makes mistakes from time to time but fewer than the competition over the course of a season and he is a challenger on every surface. He has beaten Latvala and Mikkelsen for 4 years without having to invoke the Loeb gambit! He is just better and like a maestro can make an old fiddle sound like a Strad!!

10 in a row will make Ogier the better master.

Only six to go... but you never know...

GravelBen
1st March 2017, 04:52
More consistently quicker?

I'd probably say quick more consistently.

From what I've seen over the years I think Latvala at his best is faster than Ogier at his best. But Ogier is very good at being close to his best nearly all the time, and Latvala hasn't been close enough to his best as often.

steve.mandzij
1st March 2017, 05:40
Latvala is, in my extremely biased opinion, the fastest driver currently in the WRC. There's no doubt at all that confident Latvala can win an event. Since the second half of 2014 his mental state deteriorated faaaast. Now he's found a new cozy home, and I dare say he's at his best ever.

In the podcast he said he'd focus on consistency this year too. Might he be mixing in the final ingredient for his title formula?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

N.O.T
1st March 2017, 06:52
Latvala is, in my extremely biased opinion, the fastest driver currently in the WRC. There's no doubt at all that confident Latvala can win an event. Since the second half of 2014 his mental state deteriorated faaaast. Now he's found a new cozy home, and I dare say he's at his best ever.

In the podcast he said he'd focus on consistency this year too. Might he be mixing in the final ingredient for his title formula?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

if things went wrong in mid2014 why didn't he win a title before 2014 ?

EstWRC
1st March 2017, 07:04
Rally drivers remember their first cars https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/wrc-drivers-first-rally-cars

jbmarcus21
1st March 2017, 08:48
Andreas Mikkelsen enters to Wrc Tour de Corse with Skoda Fabia R5 ➡ http://bit.ly/2lxH6QF

Mirek
1st March 2017, 08:55
Better than nothing and again a benchmark for WRC2 drivers.

liposh
1st March 2017, 09:01
YET...

... and PEAKs
I know this is just crash but honestly I remember this moment because the way Ogier was driving before this crash. In my opinion this is at the end remarkable moment in a good way.

RS
1st March 2017, 09:21
Andreas Mikkelsen enters to Wrc Tour de Corse with Skoda Fabia R5 ➡ http://bit.ly/2lxH6QF

With Kopecky.. so will he do a WRC2 after all or will they just use him for asphalt events?

Mirek
1st March 2017, 09:28
I hope he will.

RS
1st March 2017, 09:48
Well Skoda gave a full programme to three drivers last year so fingers crossed.

Mikelssen, Tidemand, Kopecky is perhaps stronger lineup than one of the WRC teams..

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2017, 10:59
Bertelli:
Here it is, our brand new Fiesta 2017 with the #FUCKMATIÈ livery!
@RallyMexico @OfficialWRC @MSportLtd https://t.co/0v1uGCNrJB

EightGear
1st March 2017, 11:45
Looks as terrible as always.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2017, 12:16
Many likes including @RallyFinland
DAMN, that’s gorgeous! #wrc https://t.co/pkAc0liNSw

Simmi
1st March 2017, 12:44
Looking forward to two pages of thread now about how some people like a livery and other people don't like it.

MrJan
1st March 2017, 13:14
Could the history repeat itself.

No. Latvala is a bit of a special case, I can't recall a driver more affected by mood and confidence. Tanak isn't the strongest mentally but he's a long way in front of JML. Ott is also clearly a lot happier in the Fiesta than Latvala was in the Polo, which will make a big difference.

macebig
1st March 2017, 15:53
10 Fiesta 17 chassis already for M-Sport?Man, they are pumping out cars faster than anyone.

Tarmop
1st March 2017, 16:10
I can think of 6 (counting the test car) or 7, if F10WRT isn`t chassis no. 6. Where are the other 3/4?

jparker
1st March 2017, 16:12
Unless Malcolm's sixth chakra has changed, I'm afraid Ott will be "asked" to play the "points insurance" game, something young drivers like him don't like.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2017, 16:55
Unless Malcolm's sixth chakra has changed, I'm afraid Ott will be "asked" to play the "points insurance" game, something young drivers like him don't like.

More nonsense criticism of Wilson/ M-Sport.

Their target is surely the driver's title for Ogier and the best way for Tanak to assist is to beat his rivals... not just trail in in 5/6th picking up a few points. That will be Evans job.

onemanband
1st March 2017, 17:06

If Ott continues his improvement curve that started last season, I don't think Wilson wants to risk with him leaving M-Sport for another team.

AL14
1st March 2017, 17:14
Since his name is not national I will say here what I've already written on the italian rally thread: Kalle Rovanper is rumored to go driving in italian championship with Skoda Fabia R5.
The only actual obstacle is the italian authority that should give permission to Kalle to drive in the competitive sections (no way he could do it in normal streets).
I don't think he will be in time for the first event in less than 3 weeks...

Anyway the italian championship will give him some mileage in asphalt and very technical rallies. Something also Hirvonen and Latvala did when they was young guns.

pantealex
1st March 2017, 17:20
Since his name is not national I will say here what I've already written on the italian rally thread: Kalle Rovanper is rumored to go driving in italian championship with Skoda Fabia R5.
The only actual obstacle is the italian authority that should give permission to Kalle to drive in the competitive sections (no way he could do it in normal streets).
I don't think he will be in time for the first event in less than 3 weeks...

Anyway the italian championship will give him some mileage in asphalt and very technical rallies. Something also Hirvonen and Latvala did when they was young guns.

Kalle was testing in Italy last week.
and he is not starting next Finnish championship rally (saturday 11.3) because he has "something else to do". (his own words)

jparker
1st March 2017, 17:36
More nonsense criticism of Wilson/ M-Sport.

Their target is surely the driver's title for Ogier and the best way for Tanak to assist is to beat his rivals... not just trail in in 5/6th picking up a few points. That will be Evans job.

Sounds like a good plan.

MrJan
1st March 2017, 18:10

Don't be afraid, it's not that scary. Of course there will be times when they play the team game, to imply that's a M-Sport specific thing either shows that you have an axe to grind or that you don't know much about the sport. I don't think that game will be "stay in fourth" unless Ott renews his old habit of crashing on too many occasions. It's more likely to be "you're second behind Seb, 30 seconds back, stop pushing so hard".

Team orders make sense a lot of times though, Citroen understand it, Hyundai understand it (although don't really have to apply it much) and it won't take many more balls ups by Hanninen before Tommi has to have a word in his ear about getting to the end of an event on the first try. Teams can't afford to keep repairing cars to enter under Rally 2 or whatever it's called these days.

Mintexmemory
1st March 2017, 18:43

What a shame they didn't appear to learn very much from the experience! Latvala had to go beck to tarmac school in 2012 and Mikko never did get to grips.

jparker
1st March 2017, 19:10
... to imply that's a M-Sport specific thing either shows that you have an axe to grind or that you don't know much about the sport.

You think so?
Then I sugest rading this forum back in time.
I don't imply anything, It's all here nicely documented.

MrJan
1st March 2017, 20:03
You think so?
Then I sugest rading this forum back in time.
I don't imply anything, It's all here nicely documented.

So other teams don't do team orders then :rotflmao:

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2017, 20:37
There was no sign of Tanak holding position on the first two rounds this year... in Monte pushing like crazy on the final stage with the car on 3-cyclinders, then in Sweden setting fastest times on the Saturday pulling back Latvala.

jparker
1st March 2017, 20:57
So other teams don't do team orders then :rotflmao:

Yes, the team orders are part of the game, but we all know who is the master.

MrJan
1st March 2017, 22:18

The French?

dodge33cymru
1st March 2017, 22:29
I don't

Karukera
2nd March 2017, 10:03
jparker, not sure if you're refering to 2005, 06, 07... discussions in the forum but it's true that MSport was criticized here and beyond the forum for using team orders and satellite teams more than others.

All in all it was legal, they could do so thanks to the number of cars available which positively contributed to the series.

Tarmop
2nd March 2017, 10:36
Well, pushing in Monte was actually the best example of holding position...he had already lost 2. and was about to finish in 4-5th (first half of the stage he lost almost all the lead) and he didn`t know if it was enough or not, hence the amazing end.

Andre Oliveira
2nd March 2017, 10:58
Rumours about Al-Rahji with Fiesta WRC17 in Finland

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd March 2017, 11:19
Well, pushing in Monte was actually the best example of holding position...he had already lost 2. and was about to finish in 4-5th (first half of the stage he lost almost all the lead) and he didn`t know if it was enough or not, hence the amazing end.

That's not what was being implied, which was team-orders. Tanak was fighting for his place in Monte PS, not backing off to be sure of getting some points for the team...

Tarmop
2nd March 2017, 12:07
Yes, but No. 1 had a comfortable lead in P1 and Evans was also still there if it had been the worst case scenario. As long as the season is in the first half I too hope that they won`t hold them(!) back.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd March 2017, 16:17
Yes, but No. 1 had a comfortable lead in P1 and Evans was also still there if it had been the worst case scenario. As long as the season is in the first half I too hope that they won`t hold them(!) back.

I dont see M-Sport chasing Manufacturer points, especially compared to the factory teams. Their no.1 priority will be Ogier in the WDC and his team-mates supporting him by trying to take points off his title contenders.

BigWorm
2nd March 2017, 16:38
I dont see M-Sport chasing Manufacturer points, especially compared to the factory teams. Their no.1 priority will be Ogier in the WDC and his team-mates supporting him by trying to take points off his title contenders.

But isn't winning the manufacturers title more beneficial for the team, rather than the drivers title?

Duvel
2nd March 2017, 18:01
Would be great, how many drivers will drive a 2017 Fiesta this year!? M-sport buisines is going good i think.

Tarmop
2nd March 2017, 18:03
Who knows, how it is with Ogier. WDC is definitely equally important as a way to keep him happy and in the car (2018), but logically if you make a strong team, spend a lot of many and get many grey hairs in the process, then i can`t see how the main goal isn`t man. championship. Especially in order to impress Ford`s bosses.

Rally Power
2nd March 2017, 19:48

Why not? Alongside Hyundai they’ve the strongest driver’s line up and the Focus already proved to be one of the most competitive cars.

On MSport team orders: it’d be naïf to think that in case Ogier stays in the title race during the season, Tanak won’t be asked to give Ogier full support, including slowing down, if occasionally he stays in front of the French. But the opposite would be a surprise: if the season doesn’t goes well to Ogier and Tanak gets in a better position to become champion, would Ogier abdicate one or two rally wins to give the Estonian a hand?

Rally Power
2nd March 2017, 19:53

Maybe I'm wrong and the active diff makes them easier to drive, but I still think '17 cars are to fast to put on 2nd level drivers hands...

PLuto
2nd March 2017, 20:05
Maybe I'm wrong and the active diff makes them easier to drive, but I still think '17 cars are to fast to put on 2nd level drivers hands...

I agree with you. They are too fast also for 1st level drivers hands...

Munkvy
2nd March 2017, 20:19

I disagree, surely Malcolm knows Ogier only went to M-Sport as it was a short notice decision and he didn't have a realistic alternative option where he would be guaranteed number 1 status. So I would assume Malcolm knows he may well only have Ogier for one year.

So if anything he will use that year to gain as much from Ogier as he can, including improving the car and the team with his work ethic, knowledge and abilities behind the wheel.

But further to that, if Ogier can bring them the manufacturers championship, that is Malcoms ticket to getting Ford back into the WRC properly. After all, when was the last time a non-manufacturer won the manufacturers title, it's been a while and that's much better PR for Malcom than Ogier winning WDC yet again...

To me, that has to be far more important, especially knowing he will probably lose Ogier at the end of the year to whichever team wants him the most/can offer the best package of role/car/money....

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd March 2017, 21:23
I disagree, surely Malcolm knows Ogier only went to M-Sport as it was a short notice decision and he didn't have a realistic alternative option where he would be guaranteed number 1 status. So I would assume Malcolm knows he may well only have Ogier for one year.

So if anything he will use that year to gain as much from Ogier as he can, including improving the car and the team with his work ethic, knowledge and abilities behind the wheel.

But further to that, if Ogier can bring them the manufacturers championship, that is Malcoms ticket to getting Ford back into the WRC properly. After all, when was the last time a non-manufacturer won the manufacturers title, it's been a while and that's much better PR for Malcom than Ogier winning WDC yet again...

To me, that has to be far more important, especially knowing he will probably lose Ogier at the end of the year to whichever team wants him the most/can offer the best package of role/car/money....

I see Ogier winning the WDC as the biggest publicity boost M-Sport can possibly get... (plus if they do that the Manufacturer's title might come also).

But if M-Sport only win the Manufacturer's title and say, Neuville, won the WDC, who would be hearing about M-Sport ? It will all be about the new Driver's Champion and his team.

And given the strength of the factory-teams, no-one will think any less of private M-Sport if the dont win the Manufacturer's...

Malcolm Wilson:
"I’ve made no secret of how much we wanted to work with Sebastien and Julien, and it is fantastic to welcome them to the team. We have worked extremely hard to secure them, and they believe that the Ford Fiesta WRC is the car with which they can best defend their championship."

MrJan
2nd March 2017, 21:36
Especially in order to impress Ford`s bosses.

Toyota Gazoo Racing WRT
Hyundai Motorsport
Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT
M-Sport World Rally Team

Speaks volumes as to how much Wilson wants to impress Ford. I don't necessarily agree that he'll concentrate on Ogier and the WDC, I just can't see him being all about team orders either.

stefanvv
2nd March 2017, 22:38
I see Ogier winning the WDC as the biggest publicity boost M-Sport can possibly get... (plus if they do that the Manufacturer's title might come also).

But if M-Sport only win the Manufacturer's title and say, Neuville, won the WDC, who would be hearing about M-Sport ? It will all be about the new Driver's Champion and his team.

And given the strength of the factory-teams, no-one will think any less of private M-Sport if the dont win the Manufacturer's...

Malcolm Wilson:
"I’ve made no secret of how much we wanted to work with Sebastien and Julien, and it is fantastic to welcome them to the team. We have worked extremely hard to secure them, and they believe that the Ford Fiesta WRC is the car with which they can best defend their championship."

I might agree Wilson would appreciate more WDC than manus one, but not because of publicity or impressing Ford company, but because it was slipping away from him for so long, having the best driver in his team. He wanted Loeb, he wanted Ogier back in the years, now is the time when he has him to break a long break with Ford winning WDC. Manu title seems more likely when You have two strong drivers like Gronholm & Hirvonen, even against the mighty Loeb & Citroen. After all 2 is more than 1.

Anyway I believe current M-Sport line-up is strong enough to win the manu title. The rest is history.

danon
2nd March 2017, 23:04
https://s5.postimg.org/qlhd8zfnr/mw_S.jpg

Eli
3rd March 2017, 16:19
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/march-2017/c3-trio/page/4338--12-12-.html
As expected, after Mexico, 3 C3's in Corsica, & 2 for Meeke & Breen in Argentina. After that, 3 C3's for the rest of the season.

dimviii
4th March 2017, 11:29
Matteo Deriu‏*@Bartolbia84
RUMORS: @HaydenPaddon - @JKCoDriver start Rallye #Sanremo with Hyundai I20 R5 @CIRally @HMSGOfficial

so Abbring with 205 at Belgium,and if this is true,seems he is finished at Hyundai.

mousti
4th March 2017, 14:27
For sure.. They let Delecour testing the i20 in Ardeche. And Loix tested with Chewon Lim..

AL14
4th March 2017, 15:22
Matteo Deriu‏*@Bartolbia84
RUMORS: @HaydenPaddon - @JKCoDriver start Rallye #Sanremo with Hyundai I20 R5 @CIRally @HMSGOfficial

so Abbring with 205 at Belgium,and if this is true,seems he is finished at Hyundai.

its not rumor. its official.

And there will also be a corean guy recently hired by Hyundai

dimviii
4th March 2017, 21:48

he competed already

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6F6_E-WAAAtCRV.jpg

Allyc85
4th March 2017, 22:17

He can't handle a 2016 spec WRC car, let alone a much faster version...

Zeakiwi
5th March 2017, 02:23
Who is Christian Riedemann, Pug 208 T16, did put some lead in the driving boots to keep up with an R5 Skoda?

Al-Rahji will probably have a 'customer spec' engine map in the '17 wrc.

dupanton
5th March 2017, 08:11

Last year already, he was a Hyundai driver. Testing a lot and doing some rallies in an Adam R2 (Ypres and a few other Belgian and foreign events).

Mirek
5th March 2017, 09:27
Last year already, he was a Hyundai driver. Testing a lot and doing some rallies in an Adam R2 (Ypres and a few other Belgian and foreign events).

Lim was doing well in Valais.

Who is Christian Riedemann, Pug 208 T16, did put some lead in the driving boots to keep up with an R5 Skoda?.

Riedemann did in the past even JWRC or how it was called that time when they used DS3 R3. He wasn't slow at all but had often troubles to finish without some major problems. Already last year he drove for German Peugeot but Kreim with Škoda was too strong for him.

mousti
5th March 2017, 12:48
He even did two events in the VW Skoda Fabia S2000 program if I recall it right.

WUff1
5th March 2017, 13:59
Riedemann did in the past even JWRC ..... but Kreim with Škoda was too strong for him.

Under normal circumstances it will stay this way I think.

dimviii
8th March 2017, 17:42
http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2017/03/elfyn-evans-talks-wrc-2017/

EstWRC
8th March 2017, 17:44
Citroen's start to WRC 2017 season hurt by 'lack of preparation'

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128413

Citroen technical director Laurent Fregosi has blamed a lack of preparation time for its worst start to a full-time World Rally Championship campaign.

The French manufacturer has struggled to make an impact on the first two rounds of the championship and lies fourth of four manufacturers entering this week's Rally Mexico.

Following a year-long sabbatical to test and develop its all-new C3 WRC, and in the wake of Volkswagen's departure, Citroen was among the favourites for 2017.

However its drivers have struggled to get the best out of the car in Monte Carlo and Sweden.

Craig Breen was Citroen's highest-placed finisher at the first two rounds, netting fifth in an old-spec DS 3 WRC at the season-opener and matching that in the C3 in Sweden.

Kris Meeke ran at the sharp end of both rallies before crashing and then being driven into by a non-competing car in the opener, and sliding off the road in Sweden.

"Our results in the opening two rounds of the season mainly come down to a lack of preparation on our part for the actual race conditions," Fregosi said.

"The situation will be different in Mexico, because the C3 WRC has done most of its running on gravel.

"For this, the season's opening gravel rally, we think and hope that we will enjoy better performance."

Meeke, 14th in the championship, and Stephane Lefebvre will be in Citroen's new challenger for this weekend's third round of the championship.

Breen will complete the recce only before returning to partner Meeke in Argentina, with Citroen to field three C3s from the Corsica leg of the championship in April.

Team principal Yves Matton said plenty had been learned during the squad's pre-Mexico test in Spain late last month.

"We questioned certain principles of the set-up and that helped us to identify the areas in which we can improve," Matton said.

"We are striving for a good performance level in Mexico.

"Given his [preferable] starting position for the opening leg, Kris will be trying to get among the leaders in the hope of kick-starting his season.

"Meanwhile, Stephane will need to go for position to score points for the manufacturers' championship."

they took whole year off and still arent prepared :rolleyes:

Franky
8th March 2017, 19:44

I'm sure someone here said that the season starts in Mexico and seems that Citroen boys listened.

dimviii
9th March 2017, 20:18
Michelin Motorsport

Michelin is introducing a new soft-compound gravel tyre. The LTX Force S5 is more durable & more consistent than the former S4 #RallyMexico

GravelBen
9th March 2017, 20:51

It's not that they didn't prepare, they just prepared wrong for the first two events... Whether they prepared wrong for the whole season remains to be seen.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
14th March 2017, 03:55
Hayden to rallying with the new co-driver after Finland..

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

er88
14th March 2017, 06:00
It's not that they didn't prepare, they just prepared wrong for the first two events... Whether they prepared wrong for the whole season remains to be seen.
Citroen barely did any testing for Monte in snowy conditions, instead focusing on more general tarmac testing that I'm sure will come in handy later in the year. Admittedly they should've tested more on snowy/icy conditions but Meeke was still doing OK before his off. However the fiasco in Sweden was baffling, the car looked undriveable from a lot of the onboard footage and the team acknowledged they hadn't found the right set up. They should be on the pace for the rest of the year though, the car looked superb on tarmac in the test videos and they proved in Mexico they have a good car on gravel too

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

dodge33cymru
14th March 2017, 07:36
Hayden to rallying with the new co-driver after Finland..

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk
Seb Marshall?

mousti
14th March 2017, 07:42
Seb Marshall?
Most probably yes.

GravelBen
14th March 2017, 09:33
Seb Marshall?

Seems the most likely choice, but they haven't said yet. The announcement said that JK will be retiring from co-driving but staying involved with the team.

Tough decision for them both but it had to happen sooner or later, he isn't getting any younger.

seb_sh
14th March 2017, 17:39
Too bad, I like John but I guess it's better to stop when he feels it's time to do so; also good that he'll be hanging around the team. On the other hand it may be good for Paddon and shake things up and help him take a step up.

MrJan
14th March 2017, 19:10
Seb Marshall?

That's what I heard was most likely.

dodge33cymru
14th March 2017, 19:32
That's what I heard was most likely.
Sounds like JK will still be involved, so i guess a straight swap between co-driver and gravel crew?

Mk2 RS2000
14th March 2017, 20:57
A bit more on Hayden & JK here;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/90424578/kiwi-rally-star-hayden-paddon-confirms-split-with-longtime-codriver-john-Kennard

smokingjoe
15th March 2017, 04:30
congrats to Seb Marshall.............. he about to go for one hell of a ride from Germany onwards!!

https://www.facebook.com/sebmarshallrally/photos/a.905582199466568.1073741832.899147000110088/1478598448831604/?type=3

jbmarcus21
15th March 2017, 08:10
Neuville to Eifel Rallye Festival this summer with i20Wrc 2017 => http://bit.ly/2nrp04b

Paddon San Remo with Marshall + i20R5 => http://bit.ly/2mrlFjM

pantealex
15th March 2017, 08:15
congrats to Seb Marshall.............. he about to go for one hell of a ride from Germany onwards!!

They are doing San Remo together in two weeks, WRC level 1st rally is Germany

spiderem
16th March 2017, 19:45
i am still not sure about the reason why they are splitting up? Anybody knows? Thanks.