PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & Rumours (part V) 2017

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

dimviii
14th November 2017, 18:07
Back in the day McRae was apparently one of the highest salaried sportsmen in the UK. At the time he was on a rumoured £4m+ which would be more than most premiership footballers at the time.

if I remember correct Loeb was at 10 millions per year.

MrJan
14th November 2017, 18:14
if I remember correct Loeb was at 10 millions per year.

If that's Euros then it's about £160,000 per week, that's well in the range of top paid sportsmen.

sonnybobiche
14th November 2017, 18:32
No
Mikkelsen & Neuville not living in Monaco for nothing, any less than a few million usd a year, or its not viable.

Mikkelsen & Neuville both come from wealthy families. Very wealthy in Mikkelsen's case. Both of them could afford a Monaco apartment just as a storage unit.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th November 2017, 18:53
I sounds like the Seb's have been the only ones that earned well as none the rest could really fight them for a title.

Maybe when VW left others were in with a better chance so got paid more. But if they already had a contract I wonder if any re-negociated ?

Barreis
14th November 2017, 20:00
Mikkelsen & Neuville both come from wealthy families. Very wealthy in Mikkelsen's case. Both of them could afford a Monaco apartment just as a storage unit.

we know about Mikkelsen. but what's Neuville's 'background'?

COD
14th November 2017, 21:03
I sounds like the Seb's have been the only ones that earned well as none the rest could really fight them for a title.

Maybe when VW left others were in with a better chance so got paid more. But if they already had a contract I wonder if any re-negociated ?

I bet Grönholm made good money and Ogier at VW too. But the times of big salaries pretty much ended mid 2000

skarderud
14th November 2017, 21:03

Maybe when VW left others were in with a better chance so got paid more. But if they already had a contract I wonder if any re-negociated ?In the subaru years, Petter Solberg was norways best paid sportsman, 6m€ pr year if i remember right.

Sent fra min XP7700 via Tapatalk

N.O.T
15th November 2017, 01:23
why you care about driver salaries ? Want to ask for a loan ?

mousti
15th November 2017, 05:37
Mikkelsen & Neuville both come from wealthy families. Very wealthy in Mikkelsen's case. Both of them could afford a Monaco apartment just as a storage unit.Neuville from a wealthy family is BS. They are nothing special. And Thierry his career got not launched by daddy but because of winning RACB contest and the Fiesta ST trophy (car was funded by RACB).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Andre Oliveira
15th November 2017, 10:23
Serderidis in C3 WRC next season

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOqtWmMWkAABmzn?format=jpg&name=900x900

Eli
15th November 2017, 10:26

Nice Livery, I wish Citroen would learn from that and have black alloys as well.

Eli
15th November 2017, 10:29
Edit: double post.

Simmi
15th November 2017, 11:25
Is that Sederidis news for real or has someone just mocked up a livery? The car looks fantastic, and should be easy to photograph ;)

Andre Oliveira
15th November 2017, 12:01
http://planetemarcus.com/la-c3wrc-2018-de-jourdan-serderidis/

dupanton
15th November 2017, 12:06
Real I guess, but the article also says he will do only 3 rallies!

JUF
15th November 2017, 12:24
The question is if it's really clever to allow Serderidis competing with a WRC2017 car. It was rather obvious that he was already overstrained with the DS3 WRC. He might endanger himself and others...

AnttiL
15th November 2017, 12:49
The question is if it's really clever to allow Serderidis competing with a WRC2017 car. It was rather obvious that he was already overstrained with the DS3 WRC. He might endanger himself and others...

He's the only WRC Trophy driver who didn't crash once in 2017. And now he might actually be fast enough not to be caught by the next R5 driver starting after him ;)

MrJan
15th November 2017, 15:05
He's the only WRC Trophy driver who didn't crash once in 2017. And now he might actually be fast enough not to be caught by the next R5 driver starting after him ;)

At GB I heard a rumour that they were starting the next car 3 minutes after him. Can't recall the last time I saw a car being driven so far from it's potential.

pantealex
15th November 2017, 15:31
At GB I heard a rumour that they were starting the next car 3 minutes after him. Can't recall the last time I saw a car being driven so far from it's potential.

Alberto Nicolas drove DS 3 WRC last year way more slower.

steve.mandzij
15th November 2017, 15:41
Alberto Nicolas drove DS 3 WRC last year way more slower.Just looked him up, he's a 68 year old engineer who by his own admission goes slowly to get to the finish and enjoy the event. Not sure what Serderidis' excuse is, unless it's similar.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

denkimi
15th November 2017, 16:24
As mousti said: neuville doesn't come from a wealthy family.
He got where he is purely on talent, just like ogier and loeb. Thats why i believe he can be world champion one day. Unlike latvala, ostberg or Mikkelsen, who only gotten into the wrc because of their rich daddy.

AnttiL
15th November 2017, 16:52

The 3 minute gap was a standard between WRC Trophy and WRC2, but Kopecky basically lost WRC2 win in Catalunya because he caught Serderidis on the long Terra Alta stage. After that they increased the gap. I think Tidemand also caught him in Wales.

wwbroe
15th November 2017, 16:58
The 3 minute gap was a standard between WRC Trophy and WRC2, but in Kopecky basically lost WRC2 win in Catalunya because he caught Serderidis on the long Terra Alta stage. After that they increased the gap. I think Tidemand also caught him in Wales.

Normally Tidemand was starting 3 mins behind him, but i noticed on Hafren stage that they gave him 4 mins gap.;)

AnttiL
15th November 2017, 16:59
As mousti said: neuville doesn't come from a wealthy family.
He got where he is purely on talent, just like ogier and loeb. Thats why i believe he can be world champion one day. Unlike latvala, ostberg or Mikkelsen, who only gotten into the wrc because of their rich daddy.

Is Jari Latvala (sr) really so rich? His business is importing and selling used tractors harvesters and their parts. He was also a rally driver, but never got past national privateer level. I remember when my dad's old combine harvester would break, he'd drive up to Latvala's shop to buy a part because it was basically the only place in Finland to buy such parts. But maybe you can get rich doing that...

SubaruNorway
15th November 2017, 17:19
Just looked him up, he's a 68 year old engineer who by his own admission goes slowly to get to the finish and enjoy the event. Not sure what Serderidis' excuse is, unless it's similar.

And crashes when he finally goes half throttle...

https://youtu.be/f8V-oBIcppk

Sub_Skoda
15th November 2017, 17:56
Are you jealous of Serderidis' situation?

If he can put the money for a some rallies with a C3 WRC, it's a good chance for him. It's good to see gentleman drivers like him. They don't steal wheel from other drivers.

RAS007
15th November 2017, 19:13

Laughed hard at this! Especially the spectator(s) you can hear bursting out laughing when he crashes!

racerx1979
15th November 2017, 20:39
Kees Burger who drives a R5 Skoda does pretty well for a guy in his mid to latae 60's. Not crazy fast, but not slow either. It's great to see people live their dreams!

denkimi
15th November 2017, 22:50

serderidis is slow compared to top drivers, but that is just pacenote making speed.
I can understand that people just want to have fun, but i can't understand how anyone can actually have fun driving such a beast of a car so slow.

KKS
19th November 2017, 04:37

Some fake?

Serderidis now announce on Australia podium that he end his career. Only 2 rally left at "home country"

Sub_Skoda
19th November 2017, 17:49
Some fake?

Serderidis now announce on Australia podium that he end his career. Only 2 rally left at "home country"

https://www.facebook.com/SerderidisJourdan/photos/a.509772169143752.1073741828.509147205872915/1483549498432676/?type=3&theater

It's official ;)

dimviii
19th November 2017, 18:09
https://rallysportmag.com/wrc-car-analysis-first-season-new-formula/

KKS
19th November 2017, 18:36
https://www.facebook.com/SerderidisJourdan/photos/a.509772169143752.1073741828.509147205872915/1483549498432676/?type=3&theater

It's official ;)
Now I don't understand... it was a joke from him at podium?!

tommeke_B
19th November 2017, 18:37
https://rallysportmag.com/wrc-car-analysis-first-season-new-formula/
I've never seen more useless content in a "analysis" (as Mr. Holmes calls it). Very sad evolution from the professional rally-journalists (Martin Holmes and David Evans) lately, I think they've become lazy... A lot of click-bait titles for articles without any useful or interesting content.

dimviii
19th November 2017, 19:21
I've never seen more useless content in a "analysis" (as Mr. Holmes calls it). Very sad evolution from the professional rally-journalists (Martin Holmes and David Evans) lately, I think they've become lazy... A lot of click-bait titles for articles without any useful or interesting content.

While I agree with your comment,its interesting that Toyota used almost half cars from all other teams.

Tarmop
19th November 2017, 20:40
Well, Lappi joined from Portugal, none of the cars was destroyed, no event had more than three drivers, whereas Hyundai and Citroen had four drivers on some events+ destroyed shells. M-Sport also had one newly-built for customers. Nothing illogical about saving money. M-Sport has previously used one car on every event for almost 2 seasons...and sometimes beyond.

janvanvurpa
19th November 2017, 23:18
Nice Livery, I wish Citroen would learn from that and have black alloys as well.

It is a very well establish fact that black alloys suck.
And suck bigly.
In that photo it is just a big black hole.

No details..No details visible is always more suckier than seeing something.
In the photos it appear there are no wheels and the car is either hovering or levitating or its sitting on a stack of bricks..

Only thing suckier than black alloys is any ass-fault car.

Eli
20th November 2017, 05:40
It is a very well establish fact that black alloys suck.
And suck bigly.
In that photo it is just a big black hole.

No details..No details visible is always more suckier than seeing something.
In the photos it appear there are no wheels and the car is either hovering or levitating or its sitting on a stack of bricks..

Only thing suckier than black alloys is any ass-fault car.

You know what? I wish Citroen's next season will be way better than both that livery and the season that just passed.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th November 2017, 12:36
Re WRC Gala... are these fan vote awards the official ones ? Ogier said he was looking forward to getting his trophy but didnt see him pictured, just all the rest of the drivers with theirs ?!

cali
20th November 2017, 12:45
Sorry to say but this fan vote is a joke bcs half of Estonia voted for Tänak this time. He had a good season but IMHO not worthy of Driver Of The Season.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

dimviii
20th November 2017, 12:53
Hayden Paddon‏*
@HaydenPaddon
My week just got even better. Another positive surprise, I will share details with you all soon.
#PaddonsPack

car
20th November 2017, 13:23
Hayden Paddon‏*
@HaydenPaddon
My week just got even better. Another positive surprise, I will share details with you all soon.
#PaddonsPack

The surprise is that he has won the social media award for the year. Nothing to get excited about.

EstWRC
20th November 2017, 14:09
Sorry to say but this fan vote is a joke bcs half of Estonia voted for Tänak this time. He had a good season but IMHO not worthy of Driver Of The Season.

Well I don’t think much of these awards either but So what ? The fans of other drivers of other countries must do a better job then. I think It shows how passionate Estonian fans are.

Järveoja definitely deserves best co-driver award imo. First year and such a good results.

About Tänak I agree. He was definitely one of the best drivers this season but best? And he is also very popular among the fans outside of Estonia.

cali
20th November 2017, 14:19
Well I don’t think much of these awards either but So what ? The fans of other drivers of other countries must do a better job then. I think It shows how passionate Estonian fans are.

Järveoja definitely deserves best co-driver award imo. First year and such a good results.

About Tänak I agree. He was definitely one of the best drivers this season but best? And he is also very popular among the fans outside of Estonia.I agree with you in general but I do not like the massive campaign to vote for Tänak which was organized by the estonian main media sources.

It's the same when The Bedwetters won MTV upcoming band awards (dunno the exact award name) only because mass media hype in our country. Ofcourse later this band disappeared completely, just another hype to boost nations self awareness.
Don't like a least bit of it...

EstWRC
20th November 2017, 14:34
The surprise is that he has won the social media award for the year. Nothing to get excited about.

He tweeted this an hour before he won the award so I doubt it’s about it.

Let’s hope it’s the news that he will contest the whole season after all!!!

BigWorm
20th November 2017, 15:17

Was that all, six pieces of text, or am I not seeing the whole article?

Fascinating if that's the whole analysis.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th November 2017, 16:08
Only WRC (fan) awards in Australia.

Official FIA Awards are on 08/12/17 in Paris.

steve.mandzij
20th November 2017, 16:16

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TapatalkIt was a fair vote in all honesty but I doubt there was a single driver more deserving of the prize than Latvala this year. Tanak evolved into a genuine title contender this year, but Latvala found the consistency he never had and didn't make a single mistake until the last stage of the last rally.

Tarmop
20th November 2017, 17:30
You have mentioned it, but...tbh, he rolled (ok, illness) and in Spain he broke the car himself. But i agree, great driving from him this year, also from Tänak but would have nominated the one and only person...who actually won the title. I agree with best co-driver and team.

Simmi
20th November 2017, 18:01
You can make a case for quite a few drivers this year - which is fantastic. Latvala would probably have been my fourth choice. Neuville 3rd, Ogier 2nd...

Can't begrudge Tanak winning it at all. He broke through to take his first win, became a genuine title contender, won again and finished the year with his stock at an all-time high.

I was lucky enough to do five rounds this year and from a spectator perspective he's my driver of the year. If you're standing at a jump or anywhere which requires a bit of commitment he's one of the guys you're looking for.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/24234436258_f8e6d327f4_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPzU)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/CVvPzU) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4267/33984022864_be95b5fc42_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TM411G)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/TM411G) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr

KiwiWRCfan
20th November 2017, 19:21
He tweeted this an hour before he won the award so I doubt it’s about it.
Let’s hope it’s the news that he will contest the whole season after all!!!

The "surprise" tweet came about 10 minutes after Social Media award was announced. It was then about an hour later came the longer tweet about what the award was.
Anyone who was following the awards in real time could confirm this.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th November 2017, 21:16
Not a fan of his, but Neuville with most 2017 stage wins possibly deserved the 'DOTY' more than Tanak...

steve.mandzij
20th November 2017, 21:18
Not a fan of his, but Neuville with most 2017 stage wins possibly deserved the 'DOTY' more than Tanak...If he hadn't wasted his championship chances on so many occasions and failed to capitalize on Ogier's misfortunes he'd have been deserving of the prize.

Alex009
20th November 2017, 23:33
Not a fan of his, but Neuville with most 2017 stage wins possibly deserved the 'DOTY' more than Tanak...

There is only one driver who should take this award, and its the champion. Everything else is joke.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st November 2017, 14:35
Just noticed that 'most stage wins' was a prize in itself...

EstWRC
21st November 2017, 14:35
satisfied now?

Fast Eddie WRC
21st November 2017, 15:01
satisfied now?

Neuville did beat Tanak in the Ch'ship too. Fans DOTY is clearly just that... fans faves so not logical.

ESTR
21st November 2017, 15:11
Only guy who deserve this price is Stephane Lefebvre. He is fast, reliable and have the best car. Well, I mean in WRC 7 (the game).

AnttiL
21st November 2017, 15:17
Tänak deserves the prize for developing to a rally winning, championship contender level. Meanwhile, compared to previous years, Ogier regressed this season

Fast Eddie WRC
21st November 2017, 15:46
Tänak deserves the prize for developing to a rally winning, championship contender level. Meanwhile, compared to previous years, Ogier regressed this season

You cant compare Ogier to his previous years as he was in a new car and (private) team. He also arrived late, had v.little testing and so took months to get comfortable

But he STILL won the title.

Sub_Skoda
21st November 2017, 16:46
Some fake?

Now it's "nothing sure for 2018. C3 or Fiesta"... : http://www.lemagsportauto.com/wrc-interview-de-jourdan-serderidis-apres-laustralie/28158/

A FONDO
21st November 2017, 20:28

Winning in a season when Lappi and Evans did it too is not something exceptional. Thierry was fastest everywhere (except for a couple of rallies where the Hyundai was not up to the job) and Tanak is not even second or third in this classification.

Tarmop
21st November 2017, 20:35
So you are saying that Lappi, Evans and Tänak are bad drivers, although we still had all the competitors we had last year (pretty much)+ these 2 winners extra, just not the everyone- eveywhere winning Polo... You have to drive with wisdom, if you want to finish high in overall classification, TN failed in that pretty badly and "car not up to the job" is just a stupid excuse, although it seems to be partially correct when talking about Finland. Plus his annoying whining and insulting habits...

EstWRC
21st November 2017, 20:40
Winning in a season when Lappi and Evans did it too is not something exceptional. Thierry was fastest everywhere (except for a couple of rallies where the Hyundai was not up to the job) and Tanak is not even second or third in this classification.

who are second and third then?

car
21st November 2017, 21:11
What?? Ogier’s year may not have been as polished or straightforward as some of his other WDCs, but he still beat all the other drivers by collecting more points. The prize is ‘Driver of the year’ not ‘most improved’ or ‘least regressed’.

Tarmop
21st November 2017, 21:20
Agree, BUT well, it isn`t...that one is called WDC. I would`ve also voted for Ogier, but as this is not an objective title, but subjective, the result is what it is.

AnttiL
21st November 2017, 21:45
http://www.sportti.com/uutinen.asp?CAT=1-2&ID=352667

Quite interesting quote from Seb that I don't recall seeing elsewhere. Something like "when I reveal my decision, you will understand why I didn't do it yet in Australia"

mknight
21st November 2017, 22:40
Tbh that would fit into "Ford returning" scenario which will likely happen on some media event.

Gregor-y
21st November 2017, 22:51
I hope they hurry, then. What rally or automotive venue is left to make the announcement this year?

macebig
21st November 2017, 23:16
December 1-10.Los Angeles Auto Show. And early January, Ford's home show Detroit Naias.

Gregor-y
21st November 2017, 23:29
I would think US events are a poor location to announce a return to WRC. Only a handful of Audi and Subaru owners would get it.

steve.mandzij
22nd November 2017, 00:07
What?? Ogier’s year may not have been as polished or straightforward as some of his other WDCs, but he still beat all the other drivers by collecting more points. The prize is ‘Driver of the year’ not ‘most improved’ or ‘least regressed’.As Ogier once said, "it's not the best man who is winning" all the time. WDC does not equate to the best driver overall in a season. Maybe the quickest and most deserving driver had to retire from events due to failures out of his control, consequently losing a championship he deserved...

Not referencing anybody in particular... :)

N.O.T
22nd November 2017, 04:05
Ford always uses the birmingham auto-sport International for any announcements...

ToughMac
22nd November 2017, 05:30
Ford always uses the birmingham auto-sport International for any announcements...

Surely you mean M-Sport?

AnttiL
22nd November 2017, 07:03

That is in January, two weeks before Monte Carlo Rally.

journeyman racer
22nd November 2017, 08:00
I would've thought that winning this year's championship had actually validated Ogier's skill as a driver and character as a competitor more than the 13-16 titles?

In those years. The VW was the best car. It's not to diminish him because if it. It's just it's undeniable that you get greater value for your effort in the best car, and it's not really that bad when you haven't put in on the bad days.

So to then come in and knock off the title. Not only driving for a smaller, private team. But with what seems to be perennial losers in M-Sport. I would've thought was an extremely impressive accomplishment, and validated Ogier just as much (if not, more) than winning 9 titles in the best car?

As far as Neuville is concerned? My impression is that he may've suffered from a lack of experience? In that while he's finished 2nd twice before. This year is the first year he's been a serious title contender. It was right there for him to get. That is a different context to participate than just being there and being able to drive as fast as a multiple champion. This season should do him good in future seasons when in a similar position. (I think Nico Rosberg had a similar problem in 2014?)

So yeah. Fwiw.

tomhlord
22nd November 2017, 08:40
Surely you mean M-Sport?

They have no clue what they mean.

Gregor-y
22nd November 2017, 16:37

That is in January, two weeks before Monte Carlo Rally.

That would seem late, but if the money and R&D is already put up for 2018 one can't complain.

denkimi
22nd November 2017, 19:51
I would've thought that winning this year's championship had actually validated Ogier's skill as a driver and character as a competitor more than the 13-16 titles?

in his early days ogier tried to win every single stage and every single rally. nowadays he seems to go just for the title, and no longer tries to be the fastest everywhere.

in 2013 he won 110 stages, in 2016 72, this year only 22.

SubaruNorway
22nd November 2017, 19:57
in his early days ogier tried to win every single stage and every single rally. nowadays he seems to go just for the title, and no longer tries to be the fastest everywhere.

in 2013 he won 110 stages, in 2016 72, this year only 22.

Some credit to Ogier not being so superior as before must go to WRC+ with everyone being able to study him and the stages.

Andre Oliveira
22nd November 2017, 21:29
And the running order

Simmi
22nd November 2017, 21:48
And the running order

But Ogier's road position has improved due to the regulations, yet from a pure numbers perspective he's gone down.

Allez Andruet
23rd November 2017, 06:54
But Ogier's road position has improved due to the regulations, yet from a pure numbers perspective he's gone down.
Well the road position never should've been any worse than it is now. It was a complete joke to run two days in championship order (something no other world champ ever had to face). And it's a bit harsh to say he's "gone down". Yes, he won fewer stages this season than ever before, but he still defended his championship title. As long as he reigns, it's hard say he'd be any worse than in 2013, 2014, 2015 or 2016.

jbmarcus21
23rd November 2017, 07:21
Maybe announcement on 28th november during M-Sport celebration in Cumbria ?

mknight
23rd November 2017, 10:09
Some credit to Ogier not being so superior as before must go to WRC+ with everyone being able to study him and the stages.

(don't know precisely how long WRC+ has had onboards but for sure from at least mid 2016)

Now before start of Australia Breen was saying on press conference how he has never been there before and other drivers laughed that he surely was watching a lot of WRC+ vids.

It was also mentioned by other drivers many times trough the year how they watch vids and shown in different instagram/twitter pics.

Yet I do distinctively remember how I was laughed at on this forum sometimes around Poland/Finland when I dared to suggest that drivers remember most of the stages from vids.

I also do remember how numerous forum members keep claiming that Ogier lied when he said he remembered that the corner where he drove into the field in Monte was quite "safe" for an off.

Ohh well.

AnttiL
23rd November 2017, 10:13
(don't know precisely how long WRC+ has had onboards but for sure from at least mid 2016)

Now before start of Australia Breen was saying on press conference how he has never been there before and other drivers laughed that he surely was watching a lot of WRC+ vids.

It was also mentioned by other drivers many times trough the year how they watch vids and shown in different instagram/twitter pics.

Yet I do distinctively remember how I was laughed at on this forum sometimes around Poland/Finland when I dared to suggest that drivers remember most of the stages from vids.

I also do remember how numerous forum members keep claiming that Ogier lied when he said he remembered that the corner where he drove into the field in Monte was quite "safe" for an off.

Ohh well.

There has been other onboards than just WRC+. Not sure if the teams have had access to the full onboard footage earlier, but at least there have been "recce videos" shot in traffic on a road car. Kris Meeke said in 2016 after winning Ouninpohja that he woke up an hour early to study an onboard video. That year, the stage was reversed and the last time it was competitively driven in that direction was 1994, so he must have had some other type of onboard.

Barreis
23rd November 2017, 10:37
Makinen's statement...
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/133216

SubaruNorway
23rd November 2017, 10:47

Since Poland 2014.
I guess they could buy onboards before but it would be very expensive, not sure if you could buy from another driver though.

jbmarcus21
23rd November 2017, 11:03
Kajetanowicz will drive Ford Fiesta #WRC 2017 in Poland for Rally Barbórka → http://bit.ly/2A3aIzD

Simmi
23rd November 2017, 14:19

Not sure why you would have been laughed at. This is common knowledge that drivers are eye-deep in onboards whenever possible. I reckon it's possible to memorise a rally now.

Even when Breen lost his intercom in Corsica this year he said he still knew most of the stage from memory. The stuff you often see Latvala doing on WRC TV where he's memorising the stages. The vast majority of the top drivers could do the same thing.

Regardless of WRC+, surely crews have been filming their reccy for years on end now.

denkimi
23rd November 2017, 14:25
Makinen's statement...
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/133216
are they actually trying not to win the championship or what?

its like those japanese don't even want to win in motorsport. honda is doing everything they can to fuck up in f1, and toyota is now handicapping the team they pay for themself.

dimviii
23rd November 2017, 15:10
Pirelli Motorsport‏
Verified account
News: #Pirelli to return to #WRC from 2018, supplying tyres for WRC and #WRC2, also becoming sole #JWRC supplier.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd November 2017, 15:49
Pirelli Motorsport‏
Verified account
News: #Pirelli to return to #WRC from 2018, supplying tyres for WRC and #WRC2, also becoming sole #JWRC supplier.

Effectively reported in Motorsport News yesterday.

EstWRC
9th December 2017, 10:46
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQkknh2XcAAqXs3.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQmD2uyWkAA2P48.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQmJPNDW4AA-F5_.jpg
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24993366_1712696028761018_2143631820045506730_n.jp g?oh=b1f44102c0a661cd2e2371f3d456a9f0&oe=5AC2645A

Kalm
9th December 2017, 12:22
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24993366_1712696028761018_2143631820045506730_n.jp g?oh=b1f44102c0a661cd2e2371f3d456a9f0&oe=5AC2645A

Julien not happy with the trophy, and rightfully so in my opinion.... from his FB page : "Very disappointed once again that the winning codriver doesn't deserve a "champion trophy"...
Why the manufacturers and drivers get a beautiful Cup with their names written in it years after years, and not the navigators ?"

seb_sh
9th December 2017, 13:10
Julien not happy with the trophy, and rightfully so in my opinion.... from his FB page : "Very disappointed once again that the winning codriver doesn't deserve a "champion trophy"...
Why the manufacturers and drivers get a beautiful Cup with their names written in it years after years, and not the navigators ?"

Rightfully so indeed! What's up with that trophy?

Fast Eddie WRC
9th December 2017, 13:34
Did you see both the @FIA and @JeanTodt tweeted their congratulations to Sébastien Ogier on his '4th' world title ?!

Unbelievable.

Simmi
9th December 2017, 14:15
Ogier saying he'd like to do Le Mans in the future - http://www.crash.net/wrc/news/888145/1/ogier-sets-sights-le-mans-after-wrc-career

As someone who does that race every year I'd love to see Seb give it a crack in a few years.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th December 2017, 15:41
Sébastien Ogier Retweeted now he's got it right !

@JeanTodt

Congratulations @SebOgier & Julien Ingrassia @OfficialWRC world champions for the 5th time.
#FIAPrizeGiving

wrc2017
9th December 2017, 18:02
wrc+ for general research prior to event
own recce videos during rally

There has been other onboards than just WRC+. Not sure if the teams have had access to the full onboard footage earlier, but at least there have been "recce videos" shot in traffic on a road car. Kris Meeke said in 2016 after winning Ouninpohja that he woke up an hour early to study an onboard video. That year, the stage was reversed and the last time it was competitively driven in that direction was 1994, so he must have had some other type of onboard.

AnttiL
9th December 2017, 18:20
wrc+ for general research prior to event
own recce videos during rally

It's also possible the team has tested on the stage in the previous years so they could have footage of their own.

For example Tänak tested this year on the small road part of Ouninpohja that was not included in the rally, but it's rumored to be included next year.

AndyRAC
10th December 2017, 12:22
Ogier saying he'd like to do Le Mans in the future - http://www.crash.net/wrc/news/888145/1/ogier-sets-sights-le-mans-after-wrc-career

As someone who does that race every year I'd love to see Seb give it a crack in a few years.

Would love to see him have a crack at it; I'm disappointed Loeb hasn't been back since his 2nd place in the Pescarolo in 2006, behind the Audi R10 TDi.....I've always thought he's more suited to GT/Endurance racing than short WTCC, WRX racing were contact is almost expected.

EstWRC
11th December 2017, 18:22
this dude has made kind of tribute or best of video of this season from good users https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Opn0hXlws

as you can see he has nicely credited all the users whom he has taken the clips.

SubaruNorway
11th December 2017, 18:44
With permission and it's an easy way of making money from what others have made... :)

Thousandlakes
11th December 2017, 21:44
Nice action and good compilation of wrc 2017!

this dude has made kind of tribute or best of video of this season from good users https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Opn0hXlws

as you can see he has nicely credited all the users whom he has taken the clips.

Rally Power
12th December 2017, 22:24
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-annual-general-assembly

Mahonen was appointed vice president of WRC rally commission; Carlos Barbosa remains president. Still no news on Mahonen’s successor as FIA rally director?

RAS007
13th December 2017, 01:19
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-annual-general-assembly

Mahonen was appointed vice president of WRC rally commission; Carlos Barbosa remains president. Still no news on Mahonen’s successor as FIA rally director?

Disappointing to hear that Mahonen is still involved in any capacity.

nafpaktos
13th December 2017, 14:19
what backround barbosa has?

Rally Power
14th December 2017, 16:15
what backround barbosa has?

Carlos Barbosa is Portuguese auto club (ACP) president. ACP is Rally de Portugal organizer and it was under Barbosa leadership that RdP returned to WRC. He was implicated in ’17 WRC cars rules as WRC commission president and in some other reg changes but I doubt he will support minority proposals, like Mahonen’s sprint stages rally format.

AnttiL
14th December 2017, 16:30
Mahonen’s sprint rally format.

For the nth time, Mahonen never said we should have shorter rallies, he said we should have shorter stages.

BTW I happened to stumble upon a comment in a closed Finnish rally facebook group where a professional co-driver (many wrc teams) said the exact same proposition to have 10 km stages for more media coverage. The comment was posted in 2015. Maybe it's not even Mahonen's own idea?

EDIT: Rally Finland 2017 stage average length is 12,6 km, that's close enough.

Rally Power
14th December 2017, 16:36
edit...Mahonen's sprint stages rally format.

Franky
14th December 2017, 17:22
BTW I happened to stumble upon a comment in a closed Finnish rally facebook group where a professional co-driver said the exact same proposition to have 10 km stages for more media coverage. The comment was posted in 2015. Maybe it's not even Mahonen's own idea?

More stages does not equal more media coverage. It's like making one hour 30 minutes long and thinking you'd have twice the amount of time in the day.

AnttiL
14th December 2017, 17:33
Let's not go through this once again

liposh
14th December 2017, 18:12
Nice action and good compilation of wrc 2017!

Anton Kosenko...let´s remember this name, because Anton Kosenko is a douchebag.

nafpaktos
14th December 2017, 22:21
@rallypower
you write he is i suppose you wanted to write was Portuguese auto club (ACP) president

Rally Power
15th December 2017, 14:50
@rallypower
you write he is i suppose you wanted to write was Portuguese auto club (ACP) president

Nope, Barbosa still is ACP president. You’ve to remember that FIA sporting commissions aren’t permanent bodies, even if each competition guidelines are proposed by them (subjected to WMSC approval). Full time FIA Rally Director is the sport general manager, helped by the series coordinators (Mouton in WRC, Nicolas at ERC and no idea of the others tbf).

EstWRC
22nd December 2017, 13:59
Since we dont have many news and nothing to talk in next couple of days i thought i will post here our beloved David Evans this years TOP10 drivers :D

10. Hayden Paddon/Dani Sordo

Impossible to choose between these two. Both have struggled terribly for the sort of form that made them winners in the past, but they're on the list because there have been flashes this season.

A handful of fastest times and second overall in Poland was as good as it got for Paddon. For Sordo, the asphalt was disappointing - particularly his early bath at home in Spain - but a pacey Portuguese podium was the highlight of his year.

9. Esapekka Lappi

Such is the importance of Rally Finland to the WRC that it's impossible to compile a list of the season's top 10 drivers and not have the winner in here. Lappi's season didn't start until Portugal, but by the time he got to the final day in Porto he was showing some serious form.

He continued that speed through Sardinia - where he posted his first ever scratch time in a car missing first gear! The highlight of the year was, of course, at home, where he took his maiden WRC win in his rookie season.

8. Craig Breen

It's hard to believe this was Breen's first season with a factory team at the pinnacle of world rallying. He looked like he'd been there for years - a consideration underlined by the fact he was top Citroen driver in the points for most of the season.

Like Meeke, Breen's fortunes were tied to the capricious C3 but, when everything worked, he was able to turn in some superb stage times. On top of that, he kept the car on the island and picked up six top-five finishes. Not bad for a rookie.

7. Andreas Mikkelsen

Left on the bench with only the occasional Skoda Fabia R5 outing to keep him busy at the start of the season, Mikkelsen never lost sight of his goal and, when he was thrown a lifeline by Citroen and then Hyundai, made the most of each opportunity and returned himself to the top of a category that he should never have had to leave in the first place.

Were it not for two punctures, a second consecutive Rally Australia win would have been the perfect way to end his season.

6. Jari-Matti Latvala

Latvala was reckoned to be drinking in the last-chance saloon when he stepped aboard the Yaris WRC, but the Toyota deal has been the making of him. Gone is the look of a forever-number-two, and back is the sort of spark that's been missing for too long.

His Sweden win was superb, but what was more pleasing than anything about his year was his reaction to his Finland retirement: steering-wheel-thumping fury. Save the tears, it's more of this that we need to see. The boy is back.

5. Kris Meeke

Meeke's speed was never in doubt. But his temperament had always been in question. Until now. Like Tanak, there's a degree more calm about Meeke these days and that's showing in the results. He learned some fairly tough lessons this season, but he's emerged a more complete driver.

Taking him out of the car in Poland wasn't the right thing to do: the performance that followed in Finland was easily his worst of the year. But in Spain - like in Mexico and Corsica - he was untouchable.

4. Elfyn Evans

Without a shadow of doubt the most improved driver of the past couple of years. A true gauge of Evans's performance remains slightly confused by him being the sole user of DMACK tyres, but as his M-Sport team-mate Ogier said, you've still got to drive the car. And Evans did that superbly.

His whole approach was different. Finally, he feels like he belongs, which he absolutely does. The pain of missing victory in Argentina by seven tenths was eased by the bliss of a home win.

3. Thierry Neuville

He was the fastest. He led for the longest. He won the most rallies. So what, you might ask, is Neuville doing at number three? Simple. Too many mistakes.

Admittedly, the car wasn't up to the job of making him world champion, but stupid errors, like when he damaged the steering in Sweden, can't happen if you're going to be best in the world.

He was magnificent in Poland and Australia, but shocking in Finland, where he wasted the chance to take a clear lead in the drivers' championship.

2. Ott Tanak

Last year you still didn't know if he could really do it, still didn't completely trust him. Yes, Tanak had the natural ability to be faster than anybody on his day, but it remained a 50:50 gamble if he'd win or stick it in the trees.

This year he came of age and dramatically lessened those odds in favour of finishing first. Somebody flicked a switch in Tanak, and that somebody was his team-mate Ogier.

Following Ogier's lead, Tanak has won twice and become the complete driver. Not to mention a big threat for next year's title.

1. Sebastien Ogier

He wasn't the fastest. He didn't lead for the longest. He didn't win the most rallies. So what, you might ask, is he doing at number one? Simple. Ogier was still the best driver across the spread of the season.

Yes, the pack has closed up considerably, but still he was the best. Points came consistently and wins were there when the opportunity arose, but most importantly the mistakes were kept to an absolute minimum. That is the mark of a champion. And that's why Ogier still tops this table

The TOP6 drivers were also included in Autosports Best 50 Drivers of the year with Latvala 44, Meeke 38, Evans 36, Neuville 19, Tänak 12 and Ogier in 5th place.

dupanton
22nd December 2017, 14:30
How can Meeke be 4th after such an awful season?? Ooh yeah, David Evans is British...

COD
22nd December 2017, 14:36
B Maybe it's not even Mahonen's own idea?

Nothing ever is

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd December 2017, 15:38
How can Meeke be 4th after such an awful season?? Ooh yeah, David Evans is British...

5th ! (Evans was 4th) ;)

Rally Power
22nd December 2017, 16:37
A nice piece on Mahonen’s foolish plan, by Motorsport Monday rally editor: http://mmuk.realviewdigital.com/?iid=157021#folio=32

macebig
22nd December 2017, 17:29
Meeke ahead of JML/Lappi and Breen?Ridiculous...

sonnybobiche
22nd December 2017, 19:22
A nice piece on Mahonen’s foolish plan, by Motorsport Monday rally editor: http://mmuk.realviewdigital.com/?iid=157021#folio=32

Very, very wise words from this guy.

RS
22nd December 2017, 19:53
Meeke ahead of JML/Lappi and Breen?Ridiculous...

Meeke did win two rallies (could have been three) in what was probably the worse car.

Bit strange to have Breen ahead of Lappi though, who did win Finland.

BigWorm
22nd December 2017, 20:16
Regarding Meeke: ''Like Tanak, there's a degree more calm about Meeke these days and that's showing in the results''. What results? The results that have been exactly like his previous seasons?

While Tänak took a massive step and improved his 2016 points with 103 points, Meeke improved his with 13. Quite a big difference to draw such a conclusion. Meeke also drove 5 more events in 2017 than what he did in 2016 so he definitely had the opportunity to improve with more than 13 points.

Rest of the list is spot on, but I would give Meeke 7th. At best.

ESTR
22nd December 2017, 20:26

Breen had six 5. places, no podium or either win. But still most of the time ahead of Paddon, Sordo, Hanninen, Meeke, Evans, Lappi... Only he keep the team together... They would be even lower (which is not even more possible) without him.

Then Lappi often finish behind him, yes he win and drive a way less events than Breen but still finish 2 points behind him. So I think That they are both very good drivers, shame just that Breen maybe is in the wrong team (they are joking with his career)...

AL14
22nd December 2017, 22:58
Meeke did win two rallies (could have been three) in what was probably the worse car.

The more you were born near UK the more you are likely to have a good ranking there.

AL14
22nd December 2017, 23:15
Breen had six 5. places, no podium or either win. But still most of the time ahead of Paddon, Sordo, Hanninen, Meeke, Evans, Lappi... Only he keep the team together... They would be even lower (which is not even more possible) without him.

Then Lappi often finish behind him, yes he win and drive a way less events than Breen but still finish 2 points behind him. So I think That they are both very good drivers, shame just that Breen maybe is in the wrong team (they are joking with his career)...

Man, Lappi went in a WRC plus car after a couple of day of testing in the middle of the season, Breen developed the whole car all the year before.
It was a debut year for Lappi and not for Breen.
Since when Lappi started to compete in the championship he gathered 61 points. Breen 31.
Lappi won 16 stages, Breen I think never won one since Lappi was there, but he won 4 total stages in WRC counting 2016 as well.

There is no point to put Lappi behind him.

Also Meeke is laughable. Latvala had his best season so far performance wise and only techincal problem stopped him most of the time (we can argue that those technical problems were caused by his drive but still...).
I have appreciate Evans season but I bet that if he was born in Macedonia he would have been ranked no more than 6th.

steve.mandzij
22nd December 2017, 23:15
Since we dont have many news and nothing to talk in next couple of days i thought i will post here our beloved David Evans this years TOP10 drivers :D

10. Hayden Paddon/Dani Sordo

Impossible to choose between these two. Both have struggled terribly for the sort of form that made them winners in the past, but they're on the list because there have been flashes this season.

A handful of fastest times and second overall in Poland was as good as it got for Paddon. For Sordo, the asphalt was disappointing - particularly his early bath at home in Spain - but a pacey Portuguese podium was the highlight of his year.

9. Esapekka Lappi

Such is the importance of Rally Finland to the WRC that it's impossible to compile a list of the season's top 10 drivers and not have the winner in here. Lappi's season didn't start until Portugal, but by the time he got to the final day in Porto he was showing some serious form.

He continued that speed through Sardinia - where he posted his first ever scratch time in a car missing first gear! The highlight of the year was, of course, at home, where he took his maiden WRC win in his rookie season.

8. Craig Breen

It's hard to believe this was Breen's first season with a factory team at the pinnacle of world rallying. He looked like he'd been there for years - a consideration underlined by the fact he was top Citroen driver in the points for most of the season.

Like Meeke, Breen's fortunes were tied to the capricious C3 but, when everything worked, he was able to turn in some superb stage times. On top of that, he kept the car on the island and picked up six top-five finishes. Not bad for a rookie.

7. Andreas Mikkelsen

Left on the bench with only the occasional Skoda Fabia R5 outing to keep him busy at the start of the season, Mikkelsen never lost sight of his goal and, when he was thrown a lifeline by Citroen and then Hyundai, made the most of each opportunity and returned himself to the top of a category that he should never have had to leave in the first place.

Were it not for two punctures, a second consecutive Rally Australia win would have been the perfect way to end his season.

6. Jari-Matti Latvala

Latvala was reckoned to be drinking in the last-chance saloon when he stepped aboard the Yaris WRC, but the Toyota deal has been the making of him. Gone is the look of a forever-number-two, and back is the sort of spark that's been missing for too long.

His Sweden win was superb, but what was more pleasing than anything about his year was his reaction to his Finland retirement: steering-wheel-thumping fury. Save the tears, it's more of this that we need to see. The boy is back.

5. Kris Meeke

Meeke's speed was never in doubt. But his temperament had always been in question. Until now. Like Tanak, there's a degree more calm about Meeke these days and that's showing in the results. He learned some fairly tough lessons this season, but he's emerged a more complete driver.

Taking him out of the car in Poland wasn't the right thing to do: the performance that followed in Finland was easily his worst of the year. But in Spain - like in Mexico and Corsica - he was untouchable.

4. Elfyn Evans

Without a shadow of doubt the most improved driver of the past couple of years. A true gauge of Evans's performance remains slightly confused by him being the sole user of DMACK tyres, but as his M-Sport team-mate Ogier said, you've still got to drive the car. And Evans did that superbly.

His whole approach was different. Finally, he feels like he belongs, which he absolutely does. The pain of missing victory in Argentina by seven tenths was eased by the bliss of a home win.

3. Thierry Neuville

He was the fastest. He led for the longest. He won the most rallies. So what, you might ask, is Neuville doing at number three? Simple. Too many mistakes.

Admittedly, the car wasn't up to the job of making him world champion, but stupid errors, like when he damaged the steering in Sweden, can't happen if you're going to be best in the world.

He was magnificent in Poland and Australia, but shocking in Finland, where he wasted the chance to take a clear lead in the drivers' championship.

2. Ott Tanak

Last year you still didn't know if he could really do it, still didn't completely trust him. Yes, Tanak had the natural ability to be faster than anybody on his day, but it remained a 50:50 gamble if he'd win or stick it in the trees.

This year he came of age and dramatically lessened those odds in favour of finishing first. Somebody flicked a switch in Tanak, and that somebody was his team-mate Ogier.

Following Ogier's lead, Tanak has won twice and become the complete driver. Not to mention a big threat for next year's title.

1. Sebastien Ogier

He wasn't the fastest. He didn't lead for the longest. He didn't win the most rallies. So what, you might ask, is he doing at number one? Simple. Ogier was still the best driver across the spread of the season.

Yes, the pack has closed up considerably, but still he was the best. Points came consistently and wins were there when the opportunity arose, but most importantly the mistakes were kept to an absolute minimum. That is the mark of a champion. And that's why Ogier still tops this table

The TOP6 drivers were also included in Autosports Best 50 Drivers of the year with Latvala 44, Meeke 38, Evans 36, Neuville 19, Tänak 12 and Ogier in 5th place.No way that Meeke and Evans had better seasons than Latavla. I'd have placed JML ahead of Neuville as well, to be honest. Save for Australia he didn't put a foot wrong all season and had it not been for the Yaris' gremlins he'd have been a title contender till the end.

sonnybobiche
23rd December 2017, 05:12
No way that Meeke and Evans had better seasons than Latavla. I'd have placed JML ahead of Neuville as well, to be honest. Save for Australia he didn't put a foot wrong all season and had it not been for the Yaris' gremlins he'd have been a title contender till the end.

To be fair he did roll in Portugal, when he was deathly ill and later hospitalized. And also he did make one or two small mistakes in Sardinia that cost him a couple of points. But I would agree that he did get most or all of the Yaris' reliability problems, often when he was leading or fighting for the lead.

He had major car failures in Mexico, and then four rallies back-to-back in Poland, Finland, Germany, and Spain. There were probably 100 points to be had between those five rallies, particularly in Finland where he was almost certain to get the win and a handful of PS points. And had he been in the fight for the championship in Australia he would have kept his 2nd place rather than gambled, so there's another 18 points.

I think Latvala was the unsung hero of this season. I just hope he can do it again in 2018 with a similarly competitive car but just a bit more reliability on his side.