PDA

View Full Version : Wrc2 2017

Pages : [1] 2

AL14
16th December 2016, 17:18
New year, new championship new thread.

How will WRC2 2017 shape up?

So far we know that Tidemand and Kopecky will participate with Skoda.
Also Fuchs will participate.

Still waiting news from Suninen.

Some insights from Italy: Andolfi is trying to build a program in WRC2 but we don't know much more at the moment.
Orange also said that participating wrc2 with Fiestar5 from BRC is one of their goal. I guess with Campedelli but you never know.

Don't know much from other countries. Let's hear from you guys.

BigWorm
16th December 2016, 17:28
Tempestini will contest with a DS3 R5 I think, winner of JWRC this year.

WRC1
16th December 2016, 17:46
and we have already the 2017 WRC2 Champion!!!

congratulations Andreas Mikkelsen and Skoda!!

i hope he will beat Mäkinens boys (Lappi/Sunninen/Hänninen) as often as possible!!

EstWRC
16th December 2016, 17:58
Estonian Egon Kaur is hoping to contest on 4-5 events.

WUff1
16th December 2016, 18:00
and we have already the 2017 WRC2 Champion!!!

congratulations Andreas Mikkelsen and Skoda!!

i hope he will beat Mäkinens boys (Lappi/Sunninen/Hänninen) as often as possible!!

source?

EstWRC
16th December 2016, 18:02
provisional monte list where he is entered with Skoda r5.

WRC1
16th December 2016, 18:28
source?

https://www.rallye-magazin.de/fileadmin/user_upload/content/2016/dez/mc2017.pdf

Mirek
16th December 2016, 19:20
So far we know that Tidemand and Kopecky will participate with Skoda.

Do we? Before VW pulled away it wasn't sure at all.

dimviii
16th December 2016, 19:26
Andrea Crugnola

Glad to announce that Michele and I will be at the starting line of 5 races of WRC2 with a Ford Fiesta R5 by D-Max Racing!
-rally Montecarlo
-tour de corse
-Portugal
-Rajd Polski
-rally Finland

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=960719014060605

tommeke_B
16th December 2016, 19:35

That's nothing more than wishing Toyota bad luck...

WRC1
16th December 2016, 20:16
That's nothing more than wishing Toyota bad luck...

wrong! i belive that the factor DRIVER is so much more important than the factor MACHINE

Mikkelsen is a first class driver (the only one who beat ogier with equal conditions in equal car) in a second class car.....on the other hand we have second class drivers such as Lappi, Suninen, Breen and Lefebvre in first class car...skoda R5 is the best car in its class, it is fast an reliable AND especially in Monte and at gravel rallyes Mikkelsen may have an advantage in starting position...nobody knows how fast the toyotas will be, but it is sure they are not as reliable as the Skoda, so....everything is possible and my fingers are crossed for Andreas Mikkelsen...i wish nobody bad luck!

Mirek
16th December 2016, 20:19
Nah, the R5 shall be nowhere near 2017 WRC performance and Latvala or Häninen aren't drivers like Al Quassimi.

stefanvv
16th December 2016, 20:36
on the other hand we have second class drivers such as Lappi, Suninen

How do You know that. They have not driven wrc in competition before.

samWRC
16th December 2016, 22:13
Andrea Crugnola

Glad to announce that Michele and I will be at the starting line of 5 races of WRC2 with a Ford Fiesta R5 by D-Max Racing!
-rally Montecarlo
-tour de corse
-Portugal
-Rajd Polski
-rally Finland

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=960719014060605
This is interesting because regulations clearly say that you have to drive in Portugal, Germany and Wales to score points in the WRC-2 and WRC-3 championships... Completely stupid regulation I think.

AL14
16th December 2016, 22:19
Do we? Before VW pulled away it wasn't sure at all.

He tested for monte didn't he?

cosmin_sb
17th December 2016, 10:25
Tempestini will make this season Wrc2 with Citroen because he won last year the Wrc3 trophy. He try to find budget for another 2 european races.Also he will compete in the Roumania championship.

nafpaktos
17th December 2016, 13:56
How do You know that. They have not driven wrc in competition before.

you consider them as something more than a second class drivers this moment?

RS
17th December 2016, 14:32
Skoda were thought likely to run with Tidemand, Kopecky and Veiby next year so if Mikkelsen joins Skoda then I suppose it will be at the expense of Veiby (another Even driver)

nafpaktos
17th December 2016, 14:40
i don't think he will drive r5 car for the whole year,or at least i hope.

Simmi
17th December 2016, 14:40
Skoda were thought likely to run with Tidemand, Kopecky and Veiby next year so if Mikkelsen joins Skoda then I suppose it will be at the expense of Veiby (another Even driver)

EVEN really have their claws deep into Skoda I guess. Shame for Veiby but hopefully he can still get some outings this year.

IF Mikkelsen does register for the full championship then I really can't see him not winning. Big question for me next year is Suninen and what he does...

kure91
17th December 2016, 18:40
This is interesting because regulations clearly say that you have to drive in Portugal, Germany and Wales to score points in the WRC-2 and WRC-3 championships... Completely stupid regulation I think.

Why stupid? In my point of view, it is useful to have all contenders meet at a few selected events. Then we can say, who is better and faster compared to each other in "head-to-head" race:) If I look on this year, how many times have all title contenders met all together? TOP 3 drivers met two times, if I would like to include also Kopecký, then nowhere.

Teme
18th December 2016, 00:50
Why stupid? In my point of view, it is useful to have all contenders meet at a few selected events. Then we can say, who is better and faster compared to each other in "head-to-head" race:) If I look on this year, how many times have all title contenders met all together? TOP 3 drivers met two times, if I would like to include also Kopecký, then nowhere.

But the current regulations say that you get excluded from the championship if you don't compete all those three rounds. That's stupid in my opinion.

electroliquid
18th December 2016, 06:28
But the current regulations say that you get excluded from the championship if you don't compete all those three rounds. That's stupid in my opinion.

Maybe, but how to prevent, that all championship participants be there? Someone miss selected events, and FIA says: OK for now, you can be champion, but maybe you could follow the rules next year?

RS
20th December 2016, 14:04
Skoda confirmed WRC2 for Tidemand and Kopecky. No mention of Veiby.. maybe they wait and see what happens with Andreas.

AL14
20th December 2016, 14:36
Skoda confirmed WRC2 for Tidemand and Kopecky. No mention of Veiby.. maybe they wait and see what happens with Andreas.

in their facebook page they talk about Andreas as a guest appearance. So I think Veiby will have his chances

sete
20th December 2016, 15:08
Its because Andreas is still hoping\waiting if Polo WRC 17 will be homologated.
If yes-he will start with Polo from Sweden,if no- he have to find some other program for him.

AL14
20th December 2016, 15:14
Its because Andreas is still hoping\waiting if Polo WRC 17 will be homologated.
If yes-he will start with Polo from Sweden,if no- he have to find some other program for him.

Are you sure or just guessing?
I don't know if he has the money needed to run with the Polo. He could be waiting also for a private Fiesta.

pantealex
20th December 2016, 19:41
Monte Carlo entries are very good.
Much better than I except.
They can only choose 4 events freely because 3 rallies are mandatory (Portugal, Germany and Wales)
So now many of TOP competitors have only 3 free rallies left...
Who will choose Sweden? Sardinia? Corsica? Poland? Finland? Catalonia? Will some of FAST ones go to long haul?

Andre Oliveira
20th December 2016, 19:52
Nordic ones will choose Sweden and Finland. Tarmac experts TDC and Catalonya

electroliquid
21st December 2016, 07:43
Nordic ones will choose Sweden and Finland. Tarmac experts TDC and Catalonya

Why not Germany for tarmac? But there always was that way - Nordic ones in Finland and Sweden...
I don't expect many changes in rounds choosing, still few will go over seas, and European events will be with interesting start lists.

tc10a
21st December 2016, 08:12
Why not Germany for tarmac? But there always was that way - Nordic ones in Finland and Sweden...

Germany is mandatory - everyone has to drive there to be in final standings.

electroliquid
21st December 2016, 08:50
Germany is mandatory - everyone has to drive there to be in final standings.

My bad..forget that...

Simmi
21st December 2016, 09:28
5 WRC2 rounds for the Toyota junior boys in a Fiesta (SWE, POR, SAR, FIN, ESP):

http://planetemarcus.com/un-team-toyota-gazoo-racing-junior-en-2017/

RS
21st December 2016, 09:39
5 WRC2 rounds for the Toyota junior boys in a Fiesta (SWE, POR, SAR, FIN, ESP):

http://planetemarcus.com/un-team-toyota-gazoo-racing-junior-en-2017/

Still nothing on Suninen..

Rallyper
21st December 2016, 09:54
Still nothing on Suninen..

According to a friend rumours say he might end up in a 16 WRC car.

liposh
21st December 2016, 10:17
What would be the point in this specific situation? Does anybody doubt Suninen can beat Serderidis or Prokop? Only waste of money without anything to prove.

BTW: I have got strange feeling Lappi will drive Rally Monte Carlo in Tommi´s Fiesta R5. Just a feeling but I feel it in my bones.

RICARDO75
29th December 2016, 12:01
Fabio Andolfi with 7 events on WRC2, starting on Corsica. But first, he will be on Monte Carlo with the new Fiat 124 Abarth

RICARDO75
29th December 2016, 12:34
Ole Christian Veiby on Rally Sweden entry list with Fabia R5 WRC2

RS
29th December 2016, 22:12
Ole Christian Veiby on Rally Sweden entry list with Fabia R5 WRC2

With Printsport, not Skoda Motorsport. Leaving the door open for Andreas?

OHL
29th December 2016, 22:38
What would be the point in this specific situation? Does anybody doubt Suninen can beat Serderidis or Prokop? Only waste of money without anything to prove.

BTW: I have got strange feeling Lappi will drive Rally Monte Carlo in Tommi´s Fiesta R5. Just a feeling but I feel it in my bones.

Just curious, where do these feelings in your bones come from?
If he is official test driver for Toyota's WRC program, would he be allowed to drive a Ford?
It's different for the Junior program where an R5 is really the best option for them but Toyota don't currently have an R5.
What would be the benefit for Toyota to allow him to compete in a competitors vehicle?
Is there precedent for this?

liposh
29th December 2016, 23:36
I think like this: Monte is the most difficult rally to learn and you just have to practice it as much as possible. And Lappi is Toyota´s future. Very simple. Let´s wait and see.

Sulland
30th December 2016, 08:31
Just curious, where do these feelings in your bones come from?
If he is official test driver for Toyota's WRC program, would he be allowed to drive a Ford?
It's different for the Junior program where an R5 is really the best option for them but Toyota don't currently have an R5.
What would be the benefit for Toyota to allow him to compete in a competitors vehicle?
Is there precedent for this?

Makinen should now build a R5 barn out at 'the farm'.
With the experience they now have, and maybe hire a R-Classes boss, to concentrate on the commercial rallycar market.

A lot of data from these cars can be used across the model range.

R5 is a commercially available thing you can buy, no moral or other restrictions there.

Micke_VOC
3rd January 2017, 17:21
Emil Bergkvist to do WRC2 with J-Motorsport starting with Monte. Interesting that he also will be test driver for Citroen.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/emilbergkvistrally/posts/1396303890404473:0
"Emil Bergkvist from Sweden along with co-driver Joakim Sjöberg will drive in the World Rally Championship in the class WRC2 during 2017, as official driver for the Belgian team J-Motorsport in a Citroën DS3 R5. Emil and Joakim will also act official test driver for Citroën Racing."

RS
4th January 2017, 05:29
Hmmm, that didn't go too well for Emil last year. The test driver role is interesting though, presumably for the new R5.

Rallyper
4th January 2017, 10:58
Hmmm, that didn't go too well for Emil last year. The test driver role is interesting though, presumably for the new R5.

Agree. But too much pressure and few rallies, funding problems, all worked in negative direction in 2016.
Hope this year will get him calm enough for driving only. And as much as possible. Then we´ll see.

RICARDO75
9th January 2017, 18:01
Gus Greensmith on WRC2 with Ford Fiesta R5

Xsara Fan
9th January 2017, 21:58
Alex Lukyanuk will take part in WRC Rally Sweden. He will start in WRC2 category (Google translate it): http://autosport.com.ru/wrc/39307-aleksey-lukyanyuk-vystupit-na-etape-wrc-v-shvecii

tc10a
10th January 2017, 09:22
Suninen as teammate of Camili in an M-Sport Fiesta R5 starting from Sweden

liposh
10th January 2017, 09:27
Hmm,Camili and Suninen. What a strong rival to Skoda motorsport WRC2 team. It seems to me the WRC2 will have a massive balls this year.

EstWRC
10th January 2017, 09:30
Will be interesting to compare Camilli and Suninen although i think it will be very hard for Camilli to beat Suninen. Actually i think it will be impossible but we dont know how this one year experience in WRC class has made in impact on Camilli.

pantealex
10th January 2017, 09:41
Now we have 30 known name for WRC2 , not bad!

Andre Oliveira
10th January 2017, 09:59

Team mates again :)

AL14
10th January 2017, 13:51
One year and a half ago Camilli was clearly faster than Suninen. But the finn has improved a lot since then, he nearly won the championship last year. That's quite impressive. But also Camilli, after his experience in the top league, I'm sure his balls are bigger now. Would be very interesting to see them fighting each other.

EstWRC
10th January 2017, 13:55
We will see, like you said Suninen has developed a lot and Camilli's horrible season has put me in doubt even in his performance in lower class.

AL14
10th January 2017, 14:05
Also they are practically fighting to find a place in WRC next year. Not only the championship. It will be really tough. :)

Sulland
10th January 2017, 14:20
We will see, like you said Suninen has developed a lot and Camilli's horrible season has put me in doubt even in his performance in lower class.

Show that moving too fast to WRCar is not always the answer. Maybe more so with the 2017 cars.

Meekefan
11th January 2017, 11:42
I can't understand what Camilli has to keep in an oficial team.

EightGear
11th January 2017, 12:14
A contract.

rp
11th January 2017, 12:17

Malcolm Wilson saw something special what others have not yet noticed :) Ok. Maybe there was at least something.

Not so easy for Camilli! Suninen showed last year that he is at the top already and hard to beat.

If he is not able to drive at the same level than Suninen, Tidemand and Kopecký (top 3 in WRC2 if Mikkelsen is not competing the whole series) it will be impossible to continue his contract with the M-Sport or find a World Rally Car for the next season.

Andre Oliveira
11th January 2017, 12:32
FFSA badge

mousti
11th January 2017, 12:34
Jon Armstrong, Max Vatanen and Osian Pryce will drive each 2 rallies with Dmack Fiesta R5

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

rp
11th January 2017, 13:01
FFSA badge

There is a lot of younger drivers coming from France. Camilli has to show that he has the speed and skills to succeed in the near future if FFSA is to continue his support.

nafpaktos
11th January 2017, 13:18
A contract.

of course not.obviously this is not the reason.

Meekefan
11th January 2017, 13:31
of course not.obviously this is not the reason.

This is the strange case of someone that hasn't important sponsors neither has a big talent, but caught a official steering wheel. Never could understand why Wilson's gave him a oficial car, implying the jumping from few rallyes in WRC2 to the whole WRC season.

dupanton
11th January 2017, 14:27
This is the strange case of someone that hasn't important sponsors neither has a big talent, but caught a official steering wheel. Never could understand why Wilson's gave him a oficial car, implying the jumping from few rallyes in WRC2 to the whole WRC season.

Not a big talent? He started late with rally and had a very good year in WRC2.
Unfortunatly, the step from WRC2 to WRC came to soon. But there have been several other drivers returning to WRC2 before coming back to WRC and proving what they could do.
Don't write him off to quickly and certainly don't say he isn't talented...

pantealex
11th January 2017, 15:56
A contract.

Yes.
Contract of Suninen in TMG (Toyota, Cologne) had fine of 800.000€ if he doesn´t drive or if team don´t offer him a drive.
so money is the reason why Camilli is still Sport driver.

Simmi
11th January 2017, 16:54
Regarding M-Sport and Camilli - things like this can't be a coincidence - http://www.rallyejeunes.com/

Makes sense for Malcolm as it helps him bolster the business in other areas.

Tofrallye29
11th January 2017, 20:37
If you look Camilli 's pace, he was not so far than Ostberg. In France he shown an impressive speed, for his 2nd race in R3, he was fighting with Cedric Robert.
The season in WRC 2 was not bad but I think he drove a wrcar too early. Another year in WRC 2 has been better but Wilson chose another way. 2016 was only his 4th season and Mexico was his 8th rally on gravel.

If you look Tanak or Neuville first years, they was more experienced and it was not so good. They was doing some good times but also a lot of crashes. And now they are recognized as fast drivers. At the beginning of the season Camilli did some good times but the end was disapointed. We will see but I think he deserved a seat in wrc.

dodge33cymru
11th January 2017, 20:46
Jon Armstrong, Max Vatanen and Osian Pryce will drive each 2 rallies with Dmack Fiesta R5

Pity, was hoping that Pryce would get a few more rounds, he's someone who's definitely got potential but never found the funding required for competitive rides; hope they give him a few drives in BRC or similar too.

Camilli for sure should have had this drive last year, but will be interesting to see what he can do with it. Good mix for gravel and tarmac with those two drivers for MSport.

Simmi
11th January 2017, 21:09
Pity, was hoping that Pryce would get a few more rounds, he's someone who's definitely got potential but never found the funding required for competitive rides; hope they give him a few drives in BRC or similar too.

Camilli for sure should have had this drive last year, but will be interesting to see what he can do with it. Good mix for gravel and tarmac with those two drivers for MSport.

Can't really get my head around the prize structure to be honest. Pryce won the overall championship and bested one of the paired events. But gets just two rounds? Bizarre really.

dodge33cymru
11th January 2017, 21:18
Can't really get my head around the prize structure to be honest. Pryce won the overall championship and bested one of the paired events. But gets just two rounds? Bizarre really.
Indeed, I even thought last year he mentioned having several rounds this year, but guess not.

RICARDO75
23rd January 2017, 15:28

... and Suninen with the new 2017 Ford Fiesta WRC on Finland

pantealex
24th January 2017, 08:08
... and Suninen with the new 2017 Ford Fiesta WRC on Finland

and Poland also with WRC17 (Sardinia maybe also)

EstWRC
24th January 2017, 08:30
if Camilli continues to perform like in monte then it will be his final year in top level rallying...after SS14 he said he was flat out and he lost 5.6 secs to Kopecky in 5.50kms...

AL14
24th January 2017, 09:59
if Camilli continues to perform like in monte then it will be his final year in top level rallying...after SS14 he said he was flat out and he lost 5.6 secs to Kopecky in 5.50kms...

It is also his home rally (he grew up near those streets) in his favourite surface...

nafpaktos
24th January 2017, 14:24
i am sure he will perform much better in the future.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th January 2017, 15:23
Gus Greensmith ‏@GreensmithGus
2017 WRC2 Livery
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3Ldh5bWIAA3Arx.jpg:large

PLuto
31st January 2017, 13:38
Armin Kremer finished in WRC2 (as he is not happy with situation in championship) and will support Marijan Griebel in his ERC Junior 28 campaign - http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=18756

EightGear
31st January 2017, 13:43
What is he unhappy about?

Mintexmemory
31st January 2017, 13:47
What is he unhappy about?

Works teams in WRC2 having parts not released to customers and being just too competitive!

Mirek
31st January 2017, 14:08
And the situation when works drivers who are not even entered into WRC2 are preferred over the regular private entrants (Abbring, Tidemand in this case).

PLuto
31st January 2017, 15:29
Also Bryan Bouffier was not happy, that despite he was third in WRC2, almost nobody heard about it and he was not almost seen anywhere. And for live on final stage, they put only two Skodas...

AL14
31st January 2017, 15:56
Sad to hear those drivers are not happy. WRC2 could be very exciting this year, VW withdrawal gave us Camilli and Suninen as works drivers and ERC is not more a real "competitor" (actually this is not good in general but it is in the WRC2 point of view, hope you get this).
It would be a pity if some valuable drivers will not participate.

Mariusz
31st January 2017, 17:38
Also Bryan Bouffier was not happy, that despite he was third in WRC2, almost nobody heard about it and he was not almost seen anywhere. And for live on final stage, they put only two Skodas...
Yeah, and some people wonder why i.e. Prokop doesn't want to participate in WRC Trophy or even in WRC2. Driving WRC 2017 car is just the best way to be shown on live broadcast stages.

Edit. Lol, the above conclusion has been already made in another thread ;)

WUff1
31st January 2017, 18:22
Works teams in WRC2 having parts not released to customers and being just too competitive!

This also counts for BRR?

mousti
31st January 2017, 18:22
Join TER or ERC there is some coverage for privateers..

Mintexmemory
31st January 2017, 19:32
This also counts for BRR?

Or even the BRC - I actually don't mind it as a fan, it gives a yardstick to see who steps up to the mark and who is nowhere near.

RS
31st January 2017, 20:24

The only surprise for me is that they showed the Skodas on the live final stage. I don't know why Bouffier expected anything different.

liposh
6th February 2017, 14:11
Skoda released new livery for 2017. Note the "R5 Evo1" written on its front bumper and on its back

RS
6th February 2017, 14:37
Skoda released new livery for 2017. Note the "R5 Evo1" written on its front bumper and on its back

Slightly better.

vino_93
7th February 2017, 18:55
Bryan Bouffier was on french radio (RMC). He told he will do Corsica in WRC2. Then, he will see - or an ERC program, or stay in WRC2.
Plus a deal is coming in Poland. He looked quite enthusiastic about it.

Sulland
12th February 2017, 12:49
Sweden had best RC2 rally in a long time.
We need the Hyundai R5 to hold a whole rally, to have a threesome of competitive cars.
PSA will make a new one, and VW also, that will be a Fabia replica I guess. Toyota will make one as well, but no date yet.

So this will be very good series also in years to come.
need a bit more press in my opinion.

dodge33cymru
12th February 2017, 12:54
Certainly needs more coverage, WRC promoter does it's level best to ignore them. Fortunately the radio show usually does a great job of covering it, but TV-wise they're practically non-existent (although their inclusion in the SSS coverage actually made me watch it!). I've really enjoyed watching the Facebook Live feeds covering the field though, could be superb for rallying in general.

Skoda seem to have the edge still car-wise; when do Ford get their next Evo kit?

Hope to see a few more Hyundais out this year; looking forward to seeing Neuville take on Ypres in June too. I'm guessing there's nothing they can do to improve it now it's homologated, but they may need someone more reliable than Abbring to bring it home.

I think the market could get a bit too oversaturated next year though, if the promised Polo, Yaris and C3 all come to fruition.

RS
12th February 2017, 14:01
Skoda seem to have the edge still car-wise; when do Ford get their next Evo kit?

I think someone said April?

Thing is Skoda will have an evo this year too..

PLuto
12th February 2017, 16:33
There is also different problem with WRC2. If you are as a spectator on WRC event and watch WRC cars (especially with this new powerful cars) and then you see R5 cars, it is very big difference and R5 cars looks really much slower. Despite there are good and fast drivers like Mikkelsen, Kopecky, Tidemand or Suninen, difference is really big. You can do what you want, WRC2 will always be "second league of WRC". Everyone will focus mainly to the overall leaderboard of the rally...

A FONDO
12th February 2017, 16:51
I've been thinking the same in the last two rallies, R5s look even more miserable after the new WRCs. Not only speed and soundwise but also the lines they take.

RS
12th February 2017, 16:57
There is also different problem with WRC2. If you are as a spectator on WRC event and watch WRC cars (especially with this new powerful cars) and then you see R5 cars, it is very big difference and R5 cars looks really much slower. Despite there are good and fast drivers like Mikkelsen, Kopecky, Tidemand or Suninen, difference is really big. You can do what you want, WRC2 will always be "second league of WRC". Everyone will focus mainly to the overall leaderboard of the rally...

For a manufacturer like Skoda, competing in WRC2 only makes sense from the point of view of promoting the R5 and not the car brand.

dodge33cymru
12th February 2017, 17:17
For a manufacturer like Skoda, competing in WRC2 only makes sense from the point of view of promoting the R5 and not the car brand.
That's a good point; I always struggled to see why they supported this instead of ERC but that's a fair shout.

You're right that the new WRC cars do make them look a bit slow. When you see them on their own as the top class they really don't seem that way at all (although still sound way too quiet compared to S2000s).

RS
12th February 2017, 17:29
That's a good point; I always struggled to see why they supported this instead of ERC but that's a fair shout.

You're right that the new WRC cars do make them look a bit slow. When you see them on their own as the top class they really don't seem that way at all (although still sound way too quiet compared to S2000s).

Not so much in Sweden but also often in WRC2 the gaps are so big after one or two days they really are cruising, so not even showing the maximum performance of the cars.

RS
12th February 2017, 17:32
I've been thinking the same in the last two rallies, R5s look even more miserable after the new WRCs. Not only speed and soundwise but also the lines they take.

This also means the jump from R5 to WRC is larger, so that's not particularly healthy for the sport.

Mirek
12th February 2017, 23:16

AFAIK they were pretty unhappy with the way Eursport handled the ERC in the last few years so they quit and took a different challenge.

RS
13th February 2017, 05:40
AFAIK they were pretty unhappy with the way Eursport handled the ERC in the last few years so they quit and took a different challenge.

Are they happy with how RBMH handle WRC2?

I've just seen the final day highlights from Sweden. Strangely they showed the guys that finished 1st, 2nd and 5th only.

JUF
16th February 2017, 20:13
Happy to see that Benito Guerra will do a full season in WRC2: http://cnrm.com.mx/2017/02/16/benito-guerra-anuncia-que-correra-ocho-fechas-del-wrc2/

Rallyper
17th February 2017, 18:43
Kalle Rovanperä leads by over 12 secs over Teemu Sunninen, after tonight two first stages in Ralli SM Finland.

dimviii
17th February 2017, 18:48
same tyres Per?

EstWRC
17th February 2017, 19:22
Same tyres or not it's still impressive

dimviii
17th February 2017, 19:28
of course its impressive,but we have to know all the details.
Rovanpera usually is on Pirellis,Nikara?

leighton323
17th February 2017, 19:32
Kalle Rovanperä leads by over 12 secs over Teemu Sunninen, after tonight two first stages in Ralli SM Finland.
Per, it's Teemu Asunmaa, not Teemu Sunninen ;)

EstWRC
17th February 2017, 19:53
Ok then it's not that impressive If he is in front of nobody

satukata
17th February 2017, 19:54
Kalle is driving pirelli https://twitter.com/SaariJarno/status/832667563221929986

pucky54
17th February 2017, 20:52
Kalle is driving pirelli https://twitter.com/SaariJarno/status/832667563221929986

Black round Pirelli, to be exact :P

Hartusvuori
17th February 2017, 20:55
Ok then it's not that impressive If he is in front of nobody

Not.

EstWRC
17th February 2017, 22:39
Let me get it clear. I'm a fan of Kalle and it would have been more impressive if he would have been in front of suninen but as I see he is front of nikara. Still very good though

Rallyper
18th February 2017, 08:54
Per, it's Teemu Asunmaa, not Teemu Sunninen ;)

Sorry, my bad. :(

Rallyper
18th February 2017, 08:56
Black round Pirelli, to be exact :P

So what about tyres? If you compete you´re free to choose tyres, right? Or is Kalle driving rally out of competition?

Jarek Z
18th February 2017, 11:59
That's not the right thread guys! Follow http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?28702-Finnish-rallying-championship-news/page97 for the news about Finnish rally championship :)

satukata
18th February 2017, 17:45
Fastest WRC2 driver? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9otiWfmXrQ
Hope Kalle get driving licence soon! He is only 16 years old.

pantealex
21st February 2017, 10:44
Camilli has only 1 FREE race left after Mexico...
(3 rallies are mandatory)
if and when he chooses Corsica (or Argentina), we will not see him competing WRC2 at Sardinia, Poland, Finland or Catalonia...

Andre Oliveira
21st February 2017, 12:35
He and Teemu will share WRC17 car later

RS
21st February 2017, 13:40
Camilli has only 1 FREE race left after Mexico...
(3 rallies are mandatory)
if and when he chooses Corsica (or Argentina), we will not see him competing WRC2 at Sardinia, Poland, Finland or Catalonia...

Will surely choose Corsica, unless he gets a world rally car there.

Which are the compulsory rallies?

PLuto
21st February 2017, 14:32
Which are the compulsory rallies?

Portugal, Deutschland, Wales

RS
21st February 2017, 20:59
Portugal, Deutschland, Wales

So we will know when the Portugal entry list comes out who is going for the title.

Is the potential availability of Mikelssen the reason that Skoda haven't confirmed Veiby for this year as was originally expected?

AL14
25th February 2017, 23:43
It was already decided for a program but with the victory of the ACI contract by the team Romeo Ferraris now it is official:
7 rounds in WRC2 for Fabio Andolfi with Hyundai i20 R5. First round starting from Corsica.
Good luck Fabio!

AL14
25th February 2017, 23:44
Another strong rumor from Italy, I can say it is 90% sure: Giandomenico Basso also participating at full program in WRC2. No CIR for him (further news about new CIR's driver on the designated thread, you will find some nice surprise if you're into CIR).

I've given more news here today than David Evans in the last year. I'll go to bed proud of myself.

Simmi
28th February 2017, 19:30
If I read this correctly - 4 rounds of WRC2 for Yohan Rossel, starting from Corsica. Not sure if any French speakers can confirm?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRETMzRAS7R/

mousti
28th February 2017, 19:41
If I read this correctly - 4 rounds of WRC2 for Yohan Rossel, starting from Corsica. Not sure if any French speakers can confirm?

Yes + Touquet

pantealex
1st March 2017, 09:07

Corsica, Portugal, Sardinia and Germany :)

kure91
10th March 2017, 19:14
Runner-up of JWRC 2016 Martin Koči plans to do some WRC2 events this year with Fabia R5, starting at Corsica

liposh
10th March 2017, 20:10
...plus whole Slovak rally championship.

Simmi
15th March 2017, 08:03
Dmack WRC2 prize drives confirmed:
Vatanen: Portugal/Finland
Pryce: Poland/Finland
Armstrong: Germany/Catalunya

The driver who scores the most points out of the three will then do Wales GB. Pryce also had a full British Championship campaign confirmed this morning. And will apparently be doing Wales GB anyway in a Spencer Sport run Fiesta R5.

pantealex
15th March 2017, 08:23
Dmack WRC2 prize drives confirmed:
Vatanen: Portugal/Finland
Pryce: Poland/Finland
Armstrong: Germany/Catalunya

What about Nicolas Ciamin ?
He did win 1 WRC rally with R5 from R2 Shootout

Simmi
15th March 2017, 10:22
What about Nicolas Ciamin ?
He did win 1 WRC rally with R5 from R2 Shootout

I'm not sure sorry. There was nothing written about Ciamin in Motorsport News today.

Simmi
15th March 2017, 20:33
Full seven-round WRC2 campaign for Lukasz Pieniazek - starting from Corsica in a TRT Peugeot 208 T16.

https://twitter.com/pieniazekrally/status/842089941601533952

Fast Eddie WRC
16th March 2017, 16:14
Robert Barrable sets sights on World Rally Championship

http://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2017/0315/860079-watch/

Munkvy
16th March 2017, 23:53
The Tour de Corse is going to be exciting, look at that entry list!

I feel sorry for everyone though going up against Mikkelsen, I suspect it will be a case of who manages the gap to Mikkelsen best, without crashing, rather than who can compete with him....

RS
18th March 2017, 21:33
The Tour de Corse is going to be exciting, look at that entry list!

I feel sorry for everyone though going up against Mikkelsen, I suspect it will be a case of who manages the gap to Mikkelsen best, without crashing, rather than who can compete with him....

Probably Kopecky, maybe also Camilli and Bouffier. Hyundai R5 with Sarrazin is still an unknown quantity for me.

Surprised not to see Basso here? I thought he was doing WRC2?

WUff1
19th March 2017, 12:06
Probably Kopecky, maybe also Camilli and Bouffier. Hyundai R5 with Sarrazin is still an unknown quantity for me.

Sarrazin is always very fast at Corse, he already won the rally when it was in ERC.

RS
19th March 2017, 18:47
Sarrazin is always very fast at Corse, he already won the rally when it was in ERC.

I was thinking more about the car. Seems quite fast but no real results to point to yet.

stefanvv
19th March 2017, 18:51

I believe he'll do TER from now on.

AL14
19th March 2017, 19:40

Yes only TER for Basso. THey changed the program. :(

liposh
19th March 2017, 20:19
I think Sarrazin was fast, but now with only cca 2 rallies per year he won´t be able to reach the level of competition in WRC2.

Andre Oliveira
27th March 2017, 15:20
Pierre Yves Loubet M-Sport official driver to Tour de Corse

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/17545294_1817154831941311_3205240883109961068_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b94240af8a2bd97ab0f783ee94996592&oe=5967539C

Simmi
27th March 2017, 15:24
Another M-Sport/FFSA linkup?

They certainly have a good core of young drivers now. Suninen/Camilli/Loubet/Cronin (BRC).

electroliquid
27th March 2017, 20:49
Pierre Yves Loubet M-Sport official driver to Tour de Corse

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/17545294_1817154831941311_3205240883109961068_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b94240af8a2bd97ab0f783ee94996592&oe=5967539C

Maybe Pierre-Louis Loubet, not Pierre Yves Loubet?

Andre Oliveira
27th March 2017, 21:21
Ups :)

TWRC
28th March 2017, 06:35
Quentin Gilbert to continue WRC2 with Fabia R5 prepared by Tagai Racing Technology. First round together will be the Terre des Causses in preparation for Portugal.

Rally Power
28th March 2017, 13:27
Quentin Gilbert to continue WRC2 with Fabia R5 prepared by Tagai Racing Technology. First round together will be the Terre des Causses in preparation for Portugal.

Nice livery.
https://scontent.fopo1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17309443_1568539069823091_5338557739347095437_n.jp g?oh=553c1d9bb65d45d6cb7e2df6b36c438f&oe=595D9E54

seb_sh
28th March 2017, 18:22
Nice liveries! Gilbert's looks better than the official DMACK!

RS
28th March 2017, 18:44
Hmm, gets a proper car and then puts DMacks on it..

pantealex
30th March 2017, 07:40
Only 6 entries to Argentina

5 with Skoda: Tidemand, Ptaszek, Saba, Guerra and Alonso

and Pedro Heller with Fiesta (Camilli is NOT WRC2, he has no free races left )

Skoda is playing much smarter than M-Sport ;)

Mirek
30th March 2017, 08:20
It's not only about that but also the fact that M-Sport doesn't sell stock cars while Škoda uses rally as a marketing tool for its ongoing worldwide expansion.

drive
31st March 2017, 09:14
Andreas Mikkelsen on his facebook:

Testing is underway for Rally Corsica #fightbacktowrc

https://scontent.fvno2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17626174_1460082814010967_2575539128651507837_n.jp g?oh=2aae6d31a97c68dafc00ca277011db7c&oe=5955014F

RS
31st March 2017, 09:37
Andreas Mikkelsen on his facebook:

Testing is underway for Rally Corsica #fightbacktowrc

https://scontent.fvno2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17626174_1460082814010967_2575539128651507837_n.jp g?oh=2aae6d31a97c68dafc00ca277011db7c&oe=5955014F

This car has the same number plate as the Fabia they tested in Portugal which appeared to be more powerful than the current version. So maybe the Fabia Evo (sorry pedants) will debut in Corsica?

Portugal test: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DPaKvl69vk

AL14
4th April 2017, 09:22
Fabio Andolfi withdraws from Tour de Corse :(

Rally Power
4th April 2017, 12:57
Sarrazin is starting his own team. The Fabia he's using at Corsica is the first car run by Sarrazin Motorsport. The team will have another Fabia R5 and one i20 R5. Best luck to them!

http://www.leblogauto.com/2017/04/sarrazin-motorsport-ne.html

KiwiWRCfan
12th April 2017, 08:04
Interesting line about R5's in Martin Holmes interview with Michel Nandan.
"R5 cars will have the possibility to have the paddle shift gearshift system next year. So this is something we are also working on and it will require a bit of testing"
Full interview here http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/wrc/11326-development-updates-at-hyundai-motorsport

RS
12th April 2017, 15:02
Interesting line about R5's in Martin Holmes interview with Michel Nandan.
"R5 cars will have the possibility to have the paddle shift gearshift system next year. So this is something we are also working on and it will require a bit of testing"
Full interview here http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/wrc/11326-development-updates-at-hyundai-motorsport

Hyundai already talking about jokers.. have Skoda used any yet?

Mirek
12th April 2017, 15:06
I don't like the news at all. I see absolutely no sense to do so.

drive
21st April 2017, 10:51
Do we have here a tyre experts? :) last year Michelin introduced a new symmetrical tread tyres for wrc2 cars: LTX Force S81 and H91 (for rally mexico). In Michelin press release (http://michelinmotorsport.com/Internal-news/New-Michelin-gravel-tyres-for-the-WRC2-championship) they were nicely announced:

'In 2015, Michelin completely renewed its range of gravel tyres in order to provide its partners with increasingly competitive solutions designed specifically for the latest R5 cars. When they were launched last June, the Michelin Latitude Cross H90 (hard compound) and S80 (soft) got their careers off to a flying start with back-to-back wins in Poland and Finland, both with Skoda Motorsport.

This week’s Rally Mexico sees the introduction of their successors: the Michelin LTX Force H91 (hard) and S81 (soft) (17/65-15).

Much more than mere evolutions, these two new tyres feature a new symmetrical pattern and a new construction. Their symmetrical tread means there is no longer a right- and left-hand tyre, and that’s a plus for the WRC2 teams who have a smaller quota per event than their WRC counterparts. Meanwhile, the new pattern’s grooves are slightly wider in order to improve their ability to clear loose dirt, sand and mud.

Although the LTX Force H91 and S81 are marginally wider than the tyres they replace, their revised construction and profile means they are lighter and just as resistant to pinch and crown punctures.

Simulation work carried out by Michelin Motorsport’s engineers and developers, followed by testing with the firm’s different WRC2 partners last autumn, revealed an enviable performance gain of three-tenths of a second per kilometre with no adverse effect on wear or consistency.'

http://michelinmotorsport.com/var/michelin_motorsport/storage/images/website/actualites-internes/nouveaux-pneus-michelin-wrc-2-au-mexique/205932-7-eng-GB/New-Michelin-gravel-tyres-for-the-WRC2-championship_large.jpg

These tyres were used in Argentina rally also, Michelin saying that they were good in Argentina rally press release Argentina rally press release (http://www.michelin.com/eng/content/download/17784/352815/version/2/file/MICHELIN_PR_YPF+Rally+Argentina+2016_EN.pdf) :

'This was probably one of the toughest Rally Argentinas we have ever seen, yet our WRC tyres performed impeccably, as did our new MICHELIN LTX Force S81 and H91 gravel tyres we have developed for our WRC2 partners. They were used for the first time last month in Mexico where they won out of the box. Here in Argentina, they played their role to the letter once again, despite the stages being significantly churned up in places by the WRC competitors running ahead of the WRC2 crews.'

So, a bit wider but lighter symmetrical tread tyre, which suppose to be quicker... but somehow they were not used much later on (ok, some were used in other 2016 events) - WHY? were those tyres 'too good to soon' or they didnt perform as expected? as this year wrc2 cars are back to H90 or S80 'old tyres'

Andre Oliveira
24th April 2017, 09:58
Japanese guys of Gazoo Racing will constest Amarante Rally in Fiesta R5 to prepare Rally de Portugal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-LDo9GWAAAr9fP?format=jpg&name=large

RS
30th April 2017, 18:21
Terrible WRC2 Rally in Argentina, I was only checking the results to see whether Tidemand had a problem or crash.. Portugal should be good though with all championship contenders there.

KKS
30th April 2017, 18:27
it calls "wrc2 outside of Europe"

Andre Oliveira
3rd May 2017, 19:49
In order to prepare Rally de Portugal, Arai and Katsuta will participate in little portuguese event this weekend: https://ewrc-results.com/startlist.php?e=38722&t=Rali-de-Baiao-Amarante-2017

Today, Mikko Hirvonen helped they on test: https://www.facebook.com/pg/dariobteles/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1379900058753532

https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18268261_1379901478753390_6966898916520815253_n.jp g?oh=05f9adfa09fbd833cba8a013003383e3&oe=59876EDD
https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18274679_1379901302086741_9181515604758703356_n.jp g?oh=2cc2d1124c664a8b4949a3427635b7e6&oe=59B846DC
https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18222706_1379901608753377_4771532872096505758_n.jp g?oh=4d5fc517cad9786081f4f6003c1cbcde&oe=59B96D54

Andre Oliveira
3rd May 2017, 22:46
https://www.facebook.com/manuelbessa.carvalho/media_set?set=a.1297797463622695.1073742233.100001 773619614&type=3&pnref=story.unseen-section

https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18274682_1297797760289332_19989872857961499_n.jpg? oh=8b73df08e583380a931524a7cd17f02c&oe=59BBD0AC
https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18301285_1297797846955990_7010729449984808251_n.jp g?oh=b872b022f06efdddffc82408083dd9c5&oe=59BB479E
https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18301325_1297798516955923_3490604850030486257_n.jp g?oh=92035e5929a95bf9e63c8e395eb43b36&oe=59BC65D8

Rally Power
10th May 2017, 00:45
Apparently Hirvonen’s tutorial was very useful…Toyota junior drivers dominated Rally Baião/Amarante. Arai won it, just 1.2s ahead of Katsuta!

link to results: https://www.ewrc-results.com/final.php?e=38722&t=Rali-de-Baiao-Amarante-2017

Andre Oliveira
10th May 2017, 08:55
Do you know that the two japaneses don't talk with wich other? Suprisingly they are rivals

Franky
10th May 2017, 08:58
Do you know that the two japaneses don't talk with wich other? Suprisingly they are rivals

Cue to dramatic voice over. "Only one of them will get the seat in the World Rally Car ..."

liposh
10th May 2017, 09:28
...which means the worse one will be obliged to do "harakiri" (seppuku) to take off the shame from his family.

Watson
10th May 2017, 13:27
Cue to dramatic voice over. "Only one of them will get the seat in the World Rally Car ..."

Jesus Christ even then you can be friends. As long as there are no dirty moves involved you can be friends and rivals. Also, if they are both on par and very fast, the one who won't get the Toyota cockpit might end up in a different works-team. They should be working together, pushing each other and sharing information since they have the opportunity to do so. This is so shortsighted lol.

mousti
10th May 2017, 13:36
Apparently Hirvonen’s tutorial was very useful…Toyota junior drivers dominated Rally Baião/Amarante. Arai won it, just 1.2s ahead of Katsuta!

link to results: https://www.ewrc-results.com/final.php?e=38722&t=Rali-de-Baiao-Amarante-2017
Does anyone know what their program is? They almost drive every weekend.

dupanton
10th May 2017, 14:13
Does anyone know what their program is? They almost drive every weekend.

http://toyotagazooracing.com/release/2016/challengeprogram_rally/1221-01.html

pantealex
23rd May 2017, 17:37
Only 8 WRC2 competitors to Sardinia but with 5 different cars.
(one is from Italy, is it all time low entries in European WRC-event ?)

TOP3 most probably Kopecky, Veiby and Loubet

AnttiL
23rd May 2017, 18:43
The situation for Tidemand looks pretty good now that Mikkelsen and Suninen are having actual WRC drives. Had Suninen entered in Sardinia, he'd be in for relatively easy 25 points, but he's not going to be back in a WRC2 car until Germany, and by that point he needs to start winning to catch Tidemand. Germany and Wales are mandatory so Tidemand will drive them and then some third event, probably snatching an easy fifth win somewhere. Or maybe Mikkelsen's not getting more WRC drives and will take four more wins?

Watson
24th May 2017, 09:29
Suninen is still only getting the '17 Fiesta for Poland and Finland right? Or did they add more events for him in the new car?

pantealex
24th May 2017, 09:49
Suninen is still only getting the '17 Fiesta for Poland and Finland right? Or did they add more events for him in the new car?

Still only Poland and Finland with WRC17,

Germany, Wales and probably Catalonia with R5

Andre Oliveira
24th May 2017, 10:35
Wales depends of WRC2 standings

RS
24th May 2017, 14:20
Only 8 WRC2 competitors to Sardinia but with 5 different cars.
(one is from Italy, is it all time low entries in European WRC-event ?)

TOP3 most probably Kopecky, Veiby and Loubet

Entry on Portugal was big but the final gaps except the first two were still massive.

pantealex
1st August 2017, 10:30
13 same names in Portugal and Germany entry list (both are mandatory)

Veiby (and Mikkelsen) fastest of those who are skipping.

Mirek
1st August 2017, 11:16
They are no longer mandatory. Before Sardinia FIA changed rules. Crews can miss the "mandatory" events but they take zero points for them.

pantealex
1st August 2017, 11:29
They are no longer mandatory. Before Sardinia FIA changed rules. Crews can miss the "mandatory" events but they take zero points for them.

I know.

giù tutto!
1st August 2017, 12:43
Now it's official.

https://www.hyundai.news/eu/brand/hyundai-motorsport-reveals-search-for-wrc-talent-of-the-future/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=newsroom

dimviii
2nd August 2017, 18:26
Pontus Tidemand‏*@PontusTidemand
Happy and dusty test days in Greece! #SKODA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGPdq46WsAcRTP4.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGPdsX3XYAAY3BY.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGPduPhWsAkr__1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGPdwX0XcAINNFC.jpg

RS
2nd August 2017, 19:55
Presumably the Skoda test is for the 2018 spec R5.

AnttiL
2nd August 2017, 20:27

Yeh, no more dusty gravel events this year (except Australia)

dimviii
3rd August 2017, 21:06
The ACI Team Italia rider Fabio Andolfi after his retirement in Finland, due to a road exit at km. 9 of the second special on the second day of Paijala, will not be on the road to the next Rally of Germany scheduled from August 17 to 20 in Bostalsee. The heavy damage suffered by his car, the Romeo Ferraris's Hyundai i20 R5, including the engine outbound monobloc and the folded body, did not allow Romeo Ferrraris to repair the car in time for the test German World Cup.

Now Fabio Andolfi's wright in Wrc 2 with the colors of ACI Team Italia, will continue with the last two World Cup events scheduled in Europe, namely the Rally of Catalonia at the beginning of October and the Rally of Wales scheduled in the ' Last weekend in October.

http://www.aciteamitalia.it/it/notizia/9440/Forfait-di-Andolfi-in-Germania

Mirek
3rd August 2017, 23:30

With paddle shifting...

JUF
4th August 2017, 07:06
The ACI Team Italia rider Fabio Andolfi after his retirement in Finland, due to a road exit at km. 9 of the second special on the second day of Paijala, will not be on the road to the next Rally of Germany scheduled from August 17 to 20 in Bostalsee. The heavy damage suffered by his car, the Romeo Ferraris's Hyundai i20 R5, including the engine outbound monobloc and the folded body, did not allow Romeo Ferrraris to repair the car in time for the test German World Cup.

I have to say that I'm a little bit disappointed of Fabio this year. He always looked like a promising talent, but he wasn't able to set any fast times and made many mistakes this year. I'm not sure if we gonna see him returning to WRC2 next year... Or does he have rich parents or anyone else like that?

dimviii
4th August 2017, 10:30
I have to say that I'm a little bit disappointed of Fabio this year. He always looked like a promising talent, but he wasn't able to set any fast times and made many mistakes this year. I'm not sure if we gonna see him returning to WRC2 next year... Or does he have rich parents or anyone else like that?

its the same case as many other drivers when jumping to bigger category.

Andre Oliveira
4th August 2017, 23:36
Fabio problem is the deal with Hyundai not running like schedule... no human resources, no tests.... very polemic on these days at italian facebook pages

mousti
8th August 2017, 19:56
Now it's official.

https://www.hyundai.news/eu/brand/hyundai-motorsport-reveals-search-for-wrc-talent-of-the-future/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=newsroom

These drivers are going for it:

Solans
López
Ingram
Cave
Greensmith
Rovanpera
Huttunen
Lindholm
Berfa
Loubet
Dilley
Andolfi
Bergkvist
Veiby

JUF
8th August 2017, 20:02
These drivers are going for it:

Solans
López
Ingram
Cave
Greensmith
Rovanpera
Huttunen
Lindholm
Berfa
Loubet
Dilley
Andolfi
Bergkvist
Veiby

As far as I know, they have also chosen German René Mandel. But he shouldn't have any chance against these drivers. Decent list for sure! I would probably choose Veiby or Loubet, maybe even Huttunen or Rovanpera, but well, that´s not my task :D.

mousti
8th August 2017, 20:17
As far as I know, they have also chosen German René Mandel. But he shouldn't have any chance against these drivers. Decent list for sure! I would probably choose Veiby or Loubet, maybe even Huttunen or Rovanpera, but well, that´s not my task :D.

Maybe not full list, I expect Griebel to be there too.

AnttiL
8th August 2017, 20:25
Glad to see Rovanperä and Huttunen there. Veiby is clearly the most experienced of the pack and he's got speed as well.

Simmi
8th August 2017, 20:26
So many drivers going for a single WRC2 seat! Manufacturer links to vital though. Interested to see Bergkvist (Citroen-ish) and Veiby (Skoda-ish) on there.

EstWRC
8th August 2017, 20:27
Damn i was hoping to see Kruuda in that list.

Essaj
8th August 2017, 20:38
Damn i was hoping to see Kruuda in that list.

Karl's time has already passed, has he driven anything in like 2 years?
Edit: Last race 2016 Finland, only 3 races last year without good success. And okay he is still 24 so he has years but 1 year without any driving is loooong.
And if you mean Gustav he is not ready.

More surprised that both Nikolay Gryazin and Ralf Sirmacis are missing from the list.

JUF
8th August 2017, 21:32
Karl's time has already passed, has he driven anything in like 2 years? He has! Karl competes in the Chinese Rally Championship for Subaru Rally Team China this year :).

the sniper
8th August 2017, 22:54
Would anyone else be surprised to see Rovanperä go for this? I wouldn't have thought he needed to or that it was even his best option. Unless he's just going through the process for that experience itself, as it can't hurt?

pantealex
9th August 2017, 08:02
Would anyone else be surprised to see Rovanperä go for this? I wouldn't have thought he needed to or that it was even his best option. Unless he's just going through the process for that experience itself, as it can't hurt?

Well, Hyundai has maybe best WRC-car, so why not?
He needs atleast 1 year experience from WRC events.

AnttiL
9th August 2017, 08:07

Well it's not like he has a factory contract waiting. But then again, he cannot yet take part in most of the rallies next year, as he'll be 17 for the most part of the year.

electroliquid
9th August 2017, 08:27
Also it's good for his experience test more cars in (near)factory spec as possible .

Simmi
9th August 2017, 09:54

The big story in Motorsport News today is that Kalle is very close to agreeing a deal with M-Sport. (Wales GB 2017, BRC 2018 and WRC2 rounds 2018).

Kalle and Harri were up in Greystoke last week testing testing Loubet's R5 from Finland. They say the opportunity to learn the rallies in R5, but the possibility to sample the newest-spec WRC too, is why M-Sport is so appealing.

But it seems Hyundai may also have similar ideas. Looking at Jouhki's history though I think M-Sport will be his favoured option.

AnttiL
9th August 2017, 10:35
They say the opportunity to learn the rallies in R5, but the possibility to sample the newest-spec WRC too, is why M-Sport is so appealing.

But it seems Hyundai may also have similar ideas.

Driving a Skoda or a private team car would omit the possibility of testing a WRC.

Thumbs up.

PLuto
9th August 2017, 11:19

For me problem is that he was going to WRC2 too early. He missed some steps...

Jarek Z
9th August 2017, 11:33
More surprised that both Nikolay Gryazin and Ralf Sirmacis are missing from the list.

Yes, Sirmacis should be there. But Gryazin? Does he have any impressive achievements?

AnttiL
9th August 2017, 11:48
The big story in Motorsport News today is that Kalle is very close to agreeing a deal with M-Sport.

Now the article is online as well https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/rovanpera-in-talks-with-m-sport-for-rally-gb/

pantealex
9th August 2017, 13:35
For me problem is that he was going to WRC2 too early. He missed some steps...

He did drive WRC3 for 2-years
I believe WRC2 is next step or ?

Essaj
9th August 2017, 13:49
Yes, Sirmacis should be there. But Gryazin? Does he have any impressive achievements?

He is fast but seems to push bit over the limit in many places. He hasn't achieved anything special yet but on the list there ain't many who have.

Munkvy
9th August 2017, 23:01
The big story in Motorsport News today is that Kalle is very close to agreeing a deal with M-Sport. (Wales GB 2017, BRC 2018 and WRC2 rounds 2018).

Kalle and Harri were up in Greystoke last week testing testing Loubet's R5 from Finland. They say the opportunity to learn the rallies in R5, but the possibility to sample the newest-spec WRC too, is why M-Sport is so appealing.

But it seems Hyundai may also have similar ideas. Looking at Jouhki's history though I think M-Sport will be his favoured option.

I agree with the idea of doing as many WRC2 events as possible, yes he maybe fast but the WRC is a very different level, and still relies a lot on experience. So I think he not only needs to prove himself out of his rather selective range of events so far, but also get the experience on the world scene so that he is a more complete package.

And if the speed is there in WRC2, I am sure he will have no problem getting a WRC seat when there is room. But there does seem to be a lot of quick drivers at the moment and still a limited number of seats, so patience might be necessary. He does have time on his side at least.

I haven't paid a great deal of attention to his Italian performances, but I didn't get the impression he was doing overly well there?

Essaj
9th August 2017, 23:09
I agree with the idea of doing as many WRC2 events as possible, yes he maybe fast but the WRC is a very different level, and still relies a lot on experience. So I think he not only needs to prove himself out of his rather selective range of events so far, but also get the experience on the world scene so that he is a more complete package.

And if the speed is there in WRC2, I am sure he will have no problem getting a WRC seat when there is room. But there does seem to be a lot of quick drivers at the moment and still a limited number of seats, so patience might be necessary. He does have time on his side at least.

I haven't paid a great deal of attention to his Italian performances, but I didn't get the impression he was doing overly well there?

Struggling on a tarmac little bit, as expected but he has improved there alot during the year.
On gravel he was doing decent in his first race but crashed. Second gravel race they did find some setup improvements which did improve the car and he was in 2nd place before having to retire on the final liaison before the finish podium due to fuel pressure issue.
Peugeot seems to have some issues which only Andreucci and Loeb has managed to solve and actually win with (there might be others :d )

AnttiL
10th August 2017, 05:36
Kalle said the problem on tarmac and Italian gravel has been getting the pace notes right. It's difficult when he's not driving the car himself when doing the recce. Meanwhile, there's guys in the Italian championship who have been driving the rallies for years, some for decades, they don't even need pace notes for every stage. And finally, he hasn't felt comfortable in the Peugeot. He says the engine lacks torque and feels like an S2000 car compared to the Skoda. But he's learning, he finished second in the San Marino gravel rally (but retired on the last liaison). But I agree that he needs experience and WRC2 is the right series for him for now. He's proven quick on snow and fast gravel roads, but ne needs experience on tarmac plus rougher and technical gravel rallies.

Jarek Z
10th August 2017, 08:33

Yes, you are right. Kalle is not doing very well in the Italian championship. He is currently 7th overall. You can see the classification here:
http://www.rallylink.it/pdf/classifiche/2017/cir.pdf

AnttiL
10th August 2017, 09:18
Yes, you are right. Kalle is not doing very well in the Italian championship. He is currently 7th overall. You can see the classification here:
http://www.rallylink.it/pdf/classifiche/2017/cir.pdf

Once he stopped on a stage to let Andreucci past him to score more points as Andreucci's truly fighting for the championship. You could also speculate if the San Marino retirement from second position on the last liaison with Andreucci behind him was similar...

cali
10th August 2017, 09:52
Position in the standings does not reflect the drivers true speed... Pointless arquement

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

AnttiL
14th August 2017, 14:51
Right now Tidemand has contested in five rallies, leaving him only the mandatory Wales and Germany, and he can still drop the worst result (in theory, if he wins both, his Poland second place will not be counted). Veiby skipped Portugal and is skipping Germany as well, leaving him only Wales and 25 points to gain, not enough for championship winning. Suninen has done only three rallies. In theory he could still beat Tidemand by winning three more events with Tidemand scoring nothing, but I think his program consists only of Germany and Wales, and he'd probably be happier to do Wales in a WRC car. Camilli has done five events, no chance for championship either. Surprisingly, Kopecky could still be champion if he wins three more rallies and Tidemand scores nothing.

So Tidemand is quite confirmed champion, but all of the above mentioned are contenders for silver and bronze.

Simmi
14th August 2017, 15:51
Despite the driving talent it's been a down year for WRC2 certainly. Everyone (with the exception of Tidemand) has seemingly had their focus elsewhere. And when you cut beneath that top level of drivers the quality drops off drastically.

Really a tough situation for Pontus if he takes a dominant title victory and no ones cares.

I'm interested to see what M-Sport's plans are for Camilli now, given they have a backlog of drivers. Has he improved like we saw from Elfyn this year?

I'd also assume Veiby will be doing a full campaign next year? Kalle will also bring some extra attention to the class which is a good thing.

AnttiL
14th August 2017, 16:25
I'm interested to see what M-Sport's plans are for Camilli now, given they have a backlog of drivers. Has he improved like we saw from Elfyn this year?

Well at least he hasn't retired once. But still, with the low competition level, he has only made it to the podium once when scoring points (also non-points victory in Sardegna and second in Finland).

I'd also assume Veiby will be doing a full campaign next year? Kalle will also bring some extra attention to the class which is a good thing.

Interesting to see who are the Skoda factory drivers next year. Will Tidemand continue? Will Kopecky drive a Skoda forever? Veiby? Huttunen? Solans? Mikkelsen?

pantealex
14th August 2017, 16:36
VW R5 is coming (middle of) next year, someone is going to drive for them...

Mirek
14th August 2017, 16:40
VW claimed that they wouldn't have works team. Something has changed?

AnttiL
14th August 2017, 17:07
VW R5 is coming (middle of) next year, someone is going to drive for them...

Citroen C3 R5 should also be out at the start of the season.

mknight
14th August 2017, 17:10

Imo Evans wasn't particularly impressive in WRC2 in 2016, he was fastest on a few vents (Monte, Corsica, Sweden) but not by much and was clearly behind Lappi and Suninen on gravel rallies. You might event try to compare his performance with PT this year... except PT is actually going to win WRC2.

Evans return to WRC had much more to do with money than some visible improvement. If Camilli returns the reason will probably be the same.

Simmi
14th August 2017, 17:17
Imo Evans wasn't particularly impressive in WRC2 in 2016, he was fastest on a few vents (Monte, Corsica, Sweden) but not by much and was clearly behind Lappi and Suninen on gravel rallies. You might event try to compare his performance with PT this year... except PT is actually going to win WRC2.

Evans return to WRC had much more to do with money than some visible improvement. If Camilli returns the reason will probably be the same.

Yeah agreed. I'm not saying Elfyn dominated in WRC2 or anything. But you can make the argument he improved as a driver as a result of that step back. Even just in terms of mentality. That's what I'm interested in for Camilli.

AnttiL
20th August 2017, 20:05
So, Tidemand is the champion but battle for other medals is still on

2. Camilli 77
3. Veiby 68
4. Kopecky 67
5. Suninen 60
6. Gilbert 55

Camilli has already scored at 6 events, meaning he can only do Wales this year and then the worst result is excluded, so if he wins, he gets only 21 points more. Suninen has only done 4 and will do only Spain and Wales, has no option to exclude worst result. Veiby has done four events and skipped two mandatory, he can only score points now from Wales. Kopecky has 4 events and Gilbert 5 events, not sure about their plan for the rest of the season.

In Catalunya, we won't see Tidemand, Veiby or Camilli scoring points. A good chance for Suninen to take a victory. Although, we don't know if Kopecky is there or Mikkelsen at the wheel of a Skoda again?

And it's interesting to see if anyone's going to Australia now that the championship's decided and most top drivers have their all seven events contested...

BigWorm
20th August 2017, 20:13
So, Tidemand is the champion but battle for other medals is still on

2. Camilli 77
3. Veiby 68
4. Kopecky 67
5. Suninen 60
6. Gilbert 55

Camilli has already scored at 6 events, meaning he can only do Wales this year and then the worst result is excluded, so if he wins, he gets only 21 points more. Suninen has only done 4 and will do only Spain and Wales, has no option to exclude worst result. Veiby has done four events and skipped two mandatory, he can only score points now from Wales. Kopecky has 4 events and Gilbert 5 events, not sure about their plan for the rest of the season.

In Catalunya, we won't see Tidemand, Veiby or Camilli scoring points. A good chance for Suninen to take a victory. Although, we don't know if Kopecky is there or Mikkelsen at the wheel of a Skoda again?

And it's interesting to see if anyone's going to Australia now that the championship's decided and most top drivers have their all seven events contested...

Nasser likes a Catalunya entry though doesn't he? Don't know what his plans are but I'd guess he could make a cameo, in WRC2 he's fairly competitive there.

RS
21st August 2017, 05:39
Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the works Skoda team again this year. The job is done.

Simmi
21st August 2017, 09:25
Yeah traditionally a lot of people jack in their campaigns once the title is out of the picture. It's happened even earlier this year so I am slightly fearful for the rest of the rounds.

For Suninen I don't know how much a few more WRC2 events will help him at this point? Unless M-Sport really want him to do the events. I don't think he'll care about second in the title race.

In his press conference Pontus said for sure he'd do GB. But like RS said why do Skoda need to spend any more money increasing their margin of victory.

AnttiL
21st August 2017, 09:28
For Suninen I don't know how much a few more WRC2 events will help him at this point? Unless M-Sport really want him to do the events. I don't think he'll care about second in the title race.

His program had originally Spain in any case and Wales in the case the situation in WRC2 requires it.

Does anyone know how Camilli has funded his season? He has contested all rallies except Argentina and will do Spain and Wales as well. Is it just M-Sport investing for the future or secret sponsors? He thanked his dad on twitter after the victory...

AnttiL
21st August 2017, 09:30
Nasser likes a Catalunya entry though doesn't he? Don't know what his plans are but I'd guess he could make a cameo, in WRC2 he's fairly competitive there.

Last year it was Kopecky against Tidemand battling for seconds and then Loubet 10 minutes behind and the rest over 20 minutes behind. in 2015 it was again Kopecky against Tidemand, Nasser was 4 minutes behind them.

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 07:00
wrc.com and ewrc-results both count all 7 rallies for Tidemand and Camilli. But shouldn't only 6 best count? Wikipedia seems to have it correctly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIA_World_Rally_Championship-2#FIA_World_Rally_Championship-2_for_Drivers

Not that it makes a different, just out of curiosity...

as it stands now, Kopecky and Suninen are sharing the bronze medal. Suninen could still go to Australia to clench even silver from Camilli, but probably it's not worth the cost, I think he's proven enough for the team bosses.

PLuto
30th October 2017, 11:41
wrc.com and ewrc-results both count all 7 rallies for Tidemand and Camilli. But shouldn't only 6 best count? Wikipedia seems to have it correctly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIA_World_Rally_Championship-2#FIA_World_Rally_Championship-2_for_Drivers

Not that it makes a different, just out of curiosity...

as it stands now, Kopecky and Suninen are sharing the bronze medal. Suninen could still go to Australia to clench even silver from Camilli, but probably it's not worth the cost, I think he's proven enough for the team bosses.

Regarding the countings, maybe they will update the results with deleting worse result after the end of season, who knows... Unfortunatelly also results on wikipedia are not 100% correct. If you want to see correct actual results of WRC2, look here - http://www.autosport.cz/souteze/bodovani.php?id=111&sk=496

Suninen cannot go to Australia, he is not on entry list (http://www.autosport.cz/zavody/soubor.php?f=19973)...

AnttiL
30th October 2017, 11:52
Suninen cannot go to Australia, he is not on entry list (http://www.autosport.cz/zavody/soubor.php?f=19973)...

I know he's not on the entry list, but theoretically he could still get one more result, whereas his rivals not. Kopecky also has all 7 events filled since he skipped Wales and Portugal.

ESTR
30th October 2017, 12:53
Wow Kalle will win wrc2 for the first time and in 2017... Rally Australia, just cancel the event, it's no point...

ESTR
30th October 2017, 12:56
And Mikkelsen in top 10 in WRC2 and will probably be in top category too after australia. What an achievement.

Munkvy
30th October 2017, 23:12
Wow Kalle will win wrc2 for the first time and in 2017... Rally Australia, just cancel the event, it's no point...

That does require him to finish the rally, which is never guaranteed...

RS
31st October 2017, 09:35
That does require him to finish the rally, which is never guaranteed...

I guess he can retire and still win providing he crosses the line on Sunday.

Mirek
31st October 2017, 09:40
It's funny that he can actually retire before first stage of each day and cruise the last day (64 km) for victory...

ESTR
31st October 2017, 10:05
It's funny that he can actually retire before first stage of each day and cruise the last day (64 km) for victory...

But I think that he will go for all. Best he can get is to get in the top 10 overall. Almost everywhere this year were one from WRC2 in top 10.

AnttiL
31st October 2017, 10:07
I think more important than points for Kalle is to gain experience on driving the Fiesta and driving on other than Finnish or Latvian roads

AnttiL
31st October 2017, 10:07
But I think that he will go for all. Best he can get is to get in the top 10 overall. Almost everywhere this year were one from WRC2 in top 10.

It's especially easy now that there's less WRC17 cars in Australia (no Hänninen, no Østberg, no Sordo).

Mirek
31st October 2017, 11:16

I didn't want to imply that. I wanted to say that one man race is a charade and not a race and it doesn't matter who is the man himself.

MartijnS
5th November 2017, 19:51
Kevin Abbring will drive WRC2 in Monte Carlo and Sweden and possibly a third rally in a Ford Fiesta R5 together with Pieter Tsjoen. They want more but for now this is the budget they have.

Andre Oliveira
5th November 2017, 20:21
Fantastic news :)

PLuto
5th November 2017, 21:23
I have heard about it. And I dont think it is a good idea. In their conditions, with their budget and Kevin's style of driving, WRC2 events is nonsense. I will prefer to see them in more suitable championships for them, where they can more chances to fight for win and not only be "one of the field"...

ESTR
5th November 2017, 21:27
He could get a Hyundai but no they instead get a Chewing gum haha, yes he is korean. But Kevin have more or less develop i20 and get no chance of driving other than few events eith r5 edition.

mousti
5th November 2017, 21:40
He could get a Hyundai but no they instead get a Chewing gum haha, yes he is korean. But Kevin have more or less develop i20 and get no chance of driving other than few events eith r5 edition.They brought Jari Huttunen in. Chewing Gum is another project for Hyundai. And the Fiesta R5 is faster plus more reliable than the i20 so not so bad for Kevin.

Mirek
5th November 2017, 22:53
I have heard about it. And I dont think it is a good idea. In their conditions, with their budget and Kevin's style of driving, WRC2 events is nonsense. I will prefer to see them in more suitable championships for them, where they can more chances to fight for win and not only be "one of the field"...

I can understand that Tsjoen wants to enjoy the WRC events.

mArvAlcao17
6th November 2017, 01:22
He could get a Hyundai but no they instead get a Chewing gum haha, yes he is korean. But Kevin have more or less develop i20 and get no chance of driving other than few events eith r5 edition.

Personally i don't remember any previous Korean driver before him?

dimviii
6th November 2017, 13:12
http://www.wrc.com/en/jwrc/news/2017/november/2018-prize/page/4994--52-52-.html

ESTR
6th November 2017, 14:15
Personally i don't remember any previous Korean driver before him?

Korean...Hyundai...=understand?

mArvAlcao17
6th November 2017, 15:23
Korean...Hyundai...=understand?

I'm talking about previous korean driver in world rally, not Hyundai