PDA

View Full Version : UAE Abu Dhabi 2016 - Yas Marina [Finale in the desert twilight]

Nitrodaze
22nd November 2016, 15:31
https://acdn.architizer.com/thumbnails-PRODUCTION/0b/3b/0b3bc0e42f256cec8ffe90bc33f50bfb.jpg

THE FINALE IN THE DESERT TWILIGHT

This is one of my favorite Hermann Tilke track, built on the man made Yas Marina island. Mostly made from reclaimed land from the Persian Sea. It hosted its first grand prix on the 1st November 2009. It is a twilight race, hence a spectacular flood lite 5.5km track offering 55 of the most thrilling laps through the cool air of the sandy desert.

The track is shaped like some futuristic gun or power drill consisting of twenty one corners and two major fast straights. Hence, it is a track of two halves; the engine grunt half where the Mercedes and Ferrari would be dominant, and the twisty halve where aerodynamic supremacy dominates. It is essentially a track that suites the Mercedes cars perfectly. But it also offers a great opportunity for the Redbull to be closer to Mercedes.

Sebastian Vettel is the most successfull driver to race this circuit, winning it 3 times. Vettel also has the historical honor of being the first F1 driver to win on this track. The lap record of 1:40:279 was set by Vettel in 2009 while driving the Redbull RB5 designed by Adrian Newey; a car Vettel fondly called Kate. Lewis Hamilton has won it twice, Kimi and Rosberg are the only other drivers to have won this track. Each winning it once. Rosberg was the last winner of the Yas Marina circuit.

Every so often, l watch the Bahrain 2014 race and wish we get to see Rosberg and Hamilton race each other like that again. One hopes to see that at this Abu Dhabi weekend. But l fear, Rosberg has much to lose, hence would not want to take any risk in a close quarter fight for the win.

With 5 points to spare, it is a weekend that may see the crowning of a new F1 drivers champion. Rosberg does not want a repeat of the 2014 race, which saw him out of contention due to a reliability issue. As long as Rosberg finishes on the podium if Hamilton wins, he would be crowned the champion of 2016. If Hamilton do not win the race and Rosberg finishes 4th or higher he would be world champion. A Rosberg DNF would hand the title to Hamilton, as long as Hamilton finishes 7th or higher.

See details of the permutations here. (http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/11/f1-2016-title-permutations-abu-dhabi-gp.html)

The Redbulls and possibly Ferrari have the chance to get in the mix of the title battle. A carefull Rosberg may be seen as prey this weekend. Hence, he must have a great start to keep the Redbulls at bay. For Hamilton, this is a must win race as anything could happen over the 55 laps of this race.

zako85
24th November 2016, 09:42
[IMG].. Mostly made from reclaimed land from the Persian Sea.

Gulf.

Nitrodaze
24th November 2016, 18:54
Gulf.

Same difference ;-)

Nitrodaze
26th November 2016, 16:28
That was a display of supremacy by Hamilton in Q3. He raised the bar each time he laid down a fast lap. Everyone was just playing catch up. The cool thing about it was, each run was quite a gap from second place man Rosberg. The Q3 time [1:38:755] was roughly 3 tenths off the fastest qualifying lap ever done on this track. That was in the pre-hybrid era by Vettel in the 2011 Redbull-Renault and was at 1:38:481.

The best chance possible for Rosberg to have a trouble free race this weekend, was to start the race on pole. He was clearly trying hard to achieve that today, but Hamilton had the legs on him all the way from Q1 to Q3.

Rosberg may have been spared the fiesty dutchman Verstapenn, but he has Ricciado on his tail who l think would not mind taking the highest podium step possible if he smells a chance. It is looking like it may turn out to be a cracking race, assuming the Ferrari and Redbull remain in the mix.

I wonder, with the constructors championship settled, would Hamilton back Rosberg into the Redbull and Ferrari and see what shakes?

Zico
26th November 2016, 16:46
I wonder, with the constructors championship settled, would Hamilton back Rosberg into the Redbull and Ferrari and see what shakes?

I might get fired by Merc but I'd probably do just that if I was Lewis.

Am I alone in thinking that way and does that make me a bad person? :)

Nitrodaze
26th November 2016, 16:48
Wehrlein really impressed today as well. Taking the Manor into Q2 for the fifth time this season ahead of Magnussen in the Renault, both Torro Rosso, both Sauber and his teammate. That was a really great performance from the German. I suppose he has just shown Force India what they are missing ;-)

driveace
26th November 2016, 16:52
IF Rosberg has mechanical issues or an accident will Mercedes sabotge Hamiltons car so Rosberg is champion

Tazio
26th November 2016, 17:10
:stareup: Cut it out bro!! :crazy:

Nitrodaze
26th November 2016, 19:45
If Rosberg makes it through the first corner, he would have half a chance of clinching the title. After the first corner, he just needs to nurse the car home with fingers crossed that he does not have any reliability woes.

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 06:28

Nope, just duking it with the competition ;-)

Greasy
27th November 2016, 08:44
Rosberg should just stick one up the inside at turn 1. If he's aggressive enough without being unsporting and it puts Hamilton in situation where it's a race ending crash for them both to defend he's a winner.

Warriwa
27th November 2016, 09:27
IF Rosberg has mechanical issues or an accident will Mercedes sabotge Hamiltons car so Rosberg is champion

Absolutely

N4D13
27th November 2016, 09:39
It doesn't really make a lot of sense for Ham to try and back Rosberg up because if he does, Merc will almost certainly give priority in the pitstops to the German to ensure that he overtakes Lewis in the pitstops.

That said, it's the only chance that Lewis has to force Nico into an error. Yet the above and the fact that it will look rather unsporting make me think that he won't do that.

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 09:41
Rosberg should just stick one up the inside at turn 1. If he's aggressive enough without being unsporting and it puts Hamilton in situation where it's a race ending crash for them both to defend he's a winner.

This could happen if Hamilton tries to back Rosberg into the Redbulls. I wonder how the stewards are going to handle this one if it happens? Mind you Prost, Senna and Schumacher have done this in the past, and Rosberg has shown in previous races this year that he is willing if necessary. Remember Hungary, also the move on Raikonnen a few races back.

What would happen at the first corner is unpredictable, but Redbull would love for the Mercs to repeat the Spain wipeout.

henners88
27th November 2016, 09:44
I hope Rosberg gets a poor start and falls back or has a mechanical failure. He's been completely outclassed by Hamilton this year and is a very lucky boy at this point.

I do expect him to finish 2nd or 3rd though and be crowned champion. It's an amazing achievement for Lewis to be this close however with so many mechanical issues. He'll definitely be remembered along with Verstappen as the best drivers this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 09:51

Lots of fans have lost trust for Mercedes. Hence, most would expect something dodgy to happen that would secure the Championship for Rosberg. But l have some doubt that Mercedes would interfere in the outcome of this race. But l would love to get a preview of Hamilton's book. I am happy to place an early pre-order actually.

Zico
27th November 2016, 11:46
My mother used to lecture me on the power of prayer, gonna try getting down on my knees and prayi g today.

... for an Alonso win, a RedBull 2-3 , a Nico DNF and Lewis WDC. That would be fitting and deserving for all Imo. :)

Greasy
27th November 2016, 12:08
Lewis best chance is probably to puncture Nico with a front wing or put him off at the first corner. Wouldn't put it past him either given his hero would do it without a thought.

henners88
27th November 2016, 12:14
Lewis best chance is probably to puncture Nico with a front wing or put him off at the first corner. Wouldn't put it past him either given his hero would do it without a thought.
I wouldn't want to see dirty tactics like that. That's more Rosberg's domain from the past and it has no place here. I think Hamiltons best approach is to beat Nico mentally and force him into a mistake like he has done many times.

Zico
27th November 2016, 12:20

As would Rosberg, it didn't work out well for him the last time he tried to punt Lewis off the track though.
Nico can afford to be as aggressive as he wants at the first corner and if he gets inside, Lewis is in trouble.

Koz
27th November 2016, 12:45
I really, really hope that there isn't a disaster for Nico today.

I hope this is a nice clean race.

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 12:46

No you are not. What other choice has Hamilton got?

He cant just lead and hope Nico breaks down. There is nothing wrong IMO with slowing the pace to try and get other cars involved.

Mercedes bosses saying they have told Hamilton not to do any of that, but then Lewis has no way of winning it. Without massive luck

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 12:50
It doesn't really make a lot of sense for Ham to try and back Rosberg up because if he does, Merc will almost certainly give priority in the pitstops to the German to ensure that he overtakes Lewis in the pitstops.

That said, it's the only chance that Lewis has to force Nico into an error. Yet the above and the fact that it will look rather unsporting make me think that he won't do that.

All those things could happen.

However if he plays it as a normal race Hamilton has like a 2% chance of Rosberg having a mechanical failure or terrible race.

He has to try and do something to win himself the title.

Greasy
27th November 2016, 12:54
Hamilton to blow the start trying to be too clever?

AndyL
27th November 2016, 12:54
All those things could happen.

In Formula 1, anything can happen... and it usually does!

Here we go :D

Koz
27th November 2016, 12:55
Here we gooo!!

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 12:57
Title over then

AndyL
27th November 2016, 12:57
That spin for Max helps Nico, one less threat to worry about.

AndyL
27th November 2016, 13:13
Ocon is having another good day, 11th now and lapping at a respectable midfield pace.

Koz
27th November 2016, 13:19
What a sad farewell for Button.

Greasy
27th November 2016, 13:21
Gutted for JB.

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 13:25
Poor Jenson. Farewell mate.

Race is all a tad hold station right now.

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 13:34
Crucial move for Nico. Was a good move. That should be job done. Imagine going round like Nico now, just knowing the championship is waiting for you. How exciting

AndyL
27th November 2016, 13:47
It does kind of look like it's about beating Ferrari for Red Bull now, but Verstappen did outpace Rosberg on the last couple of laps so that could still be a race for 2nd. Which would be pretty astonishing for a guy who was facing the wrong way on lap 1.

Edit: nope! Mercedes got it done in the pits and it's plain sailing now.

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 13:50
It was always plain sailing, any commentators trying to create false drama are just winding the viewers up. Mercedes are too fast to be pressured.

Greasy
27th November 2016, 13:56
Hammy backing up so he can try and take him off.

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 13:58
I dont think Hammy is planning to knock him off. However his last chance is if Red Bull and Vettel come back into play

Greasy
27th November 2016, 14:01
I don't think Vettel is going to be an issue, Nico can let him go if he wants.

Greasy
27th November 2016, 14:04
Sorry, verstappen not vettel. Ferrari aren't in it.

AndyL
27th November 2016, 14:15
Lewis being told "Vettel is an imminent threat" and responds by slowing down :)

Koz
27th November 2016, 14:28
This is something...

AndyL
27th November 2016, 14:28
Look at that pained expression on the face of poor old Paddy Lowe!

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 14:29
Hammy turning on the horns :-0

Probably get sacked after the race

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 14:33
This goes to show how crap the competition is, compared to the mercs.

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 14:36
Congratulation to the new Drivers world champion of 2016 NICO ROSBERG

The 33rd F1 World Champion

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 14:40
Congrats to Nico Rosberg. Drove so well today to deal with all Hamilton could throw at him today.

Lewis did well to try and make something happen without forcing him off track. Fair play to him

Have to say Mercedes are rubbish. Imagine trying to manage two guys going for the championship once the Constructors is sorted...... I mean fans do want to see an exciting battle not just staged 1-2s

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 14:45
So Hammy is in trouble with his team now, his scheme did not work out and now looks quite stupid really.

longisland
27th November 2016, 14:47
Congrats to Nico
A job well done
Pass Verstappen when he has to
A solid campaign
A deserving World Champion

Zico
27th November 2016, 14:48
So Hammy is trouble with his team now, his scheme did not work out and now looks quite stupid really.

Yes, if he doesn't get sacked he definitely won't be their favored driver next year. If Mercedes are very competitive next year it will be Nico's title again. I'll even bet on it this time..

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 14:48
Congrats to Nico Rosberg. Drove so well today to deal with all Hamilton could throw at him today.

Lewis did well to try and make something happen without forcing him off track. Fair play to him

Have to say Mercedes are rubbish. Imagine trying to manage two guys going for the championship once the Constructors is sorted...... I mean fans do want to see an exciting battle not just staged 1-2s

I totally agree. It was a battle for title, they have to fight it out the best way way they can without punting each other off the track and that did not happen. But the fall out between Mercedes and Hamilton has been coming since the early stages of this season. They have not served him well this year, hence what is seen today is a way of saying that by Hamilton l think.

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 14:51
Yes, if he doesn't get sacked he definitely won't be their favored driver next year. If Mercedes are very competitive next year it will be Nico's title again. I'll even bet on it this time..

If that happens that would be a great shame as we would not be seeing the best performance that Mercedes can do with Hamilton in their car.

steveaki13
27th November 2016, 14:55
So Hammy is trouble with his team now, his scheme did not work out and now looks quite stupid really.

I dont think he does.

I think more of both of them after this. Rosberg managed to deal with all of that and calmly finish 2nd and win the title. Amazing drive

Hamilton had no choice and tried his best without resorting to dangerous tactics. Shows he wants it still and he has balls.

Both are great drivers. Pleased for Nico. Fully deserved

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 15:01
Hats off to Nico Rosberg, he did what he needed to do to win the title with all Hammy could throw at him. I am sure Vettel had 2nd thoughts about passing Rosberg because that would have exposed him to Vestapenn.

Zico
27th November 2016, 15:15
Yes, Seb didn't seem too concerned about making a move on Nico. Interesting..

Greasy
27th November 2016, 15:27
Well done Nico, sensible calm drive. As mentioned previously was probably counter productive for F1 to see just how far apart the Mercs were to the competition. Playing games with the rest really... Well deserved title for Nico, perhaps Vettel didn't want Lewis to highlight how easy it is to be a 4 time champ in the best car ;)

henners88
27th November 2016, 15:35
Awesome end to the season, well done Lewis for keeping the dominance all season despite the lost points. Congrats Nico for being the best of the rest and being consistent enough to win the championship!

Mercedes really did look dull trying team orders like that. It really wasn't needed and no fans want to see interference when the race is hotting up.

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 18:33
Awesome end to the season, well done Lewis for keeping the dominance all season despite the lost points. Congrats Nico for being the best of the rest and being consistent enough to win the championship!

Mercedes really did look dull trying team orders like that. It really wasn't needed and no fans want to see interference when the race is hotting up.

Quite true, it was quite lame of Mercs to interfere.

Mia 01
27th November 2016, 18:58
As some have mentioned above, I donīt think Vettel was to keen on passing Nico thoose last laps. Hamiltons plan failed.

henners88
27th November 2016, 19:54
As some have mentioned above, I donīt think Vettel was to keen on passing Nico thoose last laps. Hamiltons plan failed.

Vettel is a 4 times world champion who is programmed to get the maximum points he can in any given race. If he didn't pass Rosberg it was because he couldn't, not because he felt generous. If yourself and others think otherwise, then I think that's lovely.

Greasy
27th November 2016, 19:57
Lovely maybe, but he's already suggested Hamilton had dirty tactics.

Zico
27th November 2016, 20:14

Yes, that's how he came across to me too. Wasn't Seb over a second quicker a lap than the leaders until he caught up with Nico... yet did not bother even having a look?

AndyL
27th November 2016, 20:24
Yes, that's how he came across to me too. Wasn't Seb over a second quicker a lap than the leaders until he caught up with Nico... yet did not bother even having a look?

Hamilton had knocked his speed off by at least a second a lap, yet Rosberg didn't "bother even having a look?" No doubt Rosberg was fast in all the same places Hamilton was, so if Rosberg couldn't pass Hamilton then it's hardly surprising Vettel couldn't pass Rosberg in those last few laps. Especially as Rosberg had the benefit of DRS. I don't believe Vettel would have pushed as hard as he clearly did to catch the leaders if he intended to gift Rosberg second place.

henners88
27th November 2016, 20:25
Some might say that is rich coming from Vettel then if he has indeed said that. He has after all been punished for unfairly backing up cars behind a safety car for over the allowed distance in the past to gain an advantage. Integrity is earned by living by your word and it pays to remembers ones own behaviour when making claims. Vettel may be frustrated in the red car and feeling the Italian fire underneath him, but he should remember he was a driver to respect not so long ago. :)

Sulland
27th November 2016, 20:32
Had I been the manager of Mercedes F1, I would have sacked Hamilton tomorrow!
teamplayers like that are not the kind you need!

Greasy
27th November 2016, 20:35
Regardless of pace Rosberg did not need the risk of attacking Hamilton it would have been daft as it opened up the chance for Lewis to do a Senna. As long as he had 3rd covered it didn't matter. As for Vettel I think he's done some highly questionable things in the past but he was quoted on BBC earlier for Hamiltons dirty tactics so whether that affected his efforts who knows?

henners88
27th November 2016, 20:39
Regardless of pace Rosberg did not need the risk of attacking Hamilton it would have been daft as it opened up the chance for Lewis to do a Senna. As long as he had 3rd covered it didn't matter. As for Vettel I think he's done some highly questionable things in the past but he was quoted on BBC earlier for Hamiltons dirty tactics so whether that affected his efforts who knows?

It doesn't surprise me, Vettel is acting like a bit of a moron of late and letting his frustration get the better of him. Stirring the pot to be part of the headline is all good.

Hamilton should be pleased with how he drove and is getting a lot of credit for his fight. Let's carry this into 2017.

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 20:50

If Mercedes sacks Hamilton, it would be a clear as day statement that they manufactured the resulting driver champion of 2016. The race was a fight between two drivers, the constructor title has been won, hence what was left had nothing to do with mercedes really but between Rosberg and Hamilton.

It was disappointing that they felt the need to interfere in the fight for driver's title. Which also suggest that they favour the outcome or have a vested interest in it at least. The sanitized racing that they have enforced with their so called rules of engagement is one reason that this season was a bit dull with no real fight for the drivers title.

In the end, the race ended as it should. And Rosberg regardless of Hamilton's antics still won the title.

I really hope that the pack is truly closer and more competitive next season, It would be great to see the end of mediocre seasons such as this one.

henners88
27th November 2016, 20:53
If Mercedes sacks Hamilton, it would be a clear as day statement that they manufactured the resulting driver champion of 2016. The race was a fight between two drivers, the constructor title has been won, hence what was left had nothing to do with mercedes really but between Rosberg and Hamilton.

It was disappointing that they felt the need to interfere in the fight for driver's title. Which also suggest that they favour the outcome or have an vested interest in it at least. The sanitized racing that they have enforced with their so called rules of engagement is one reason that this season was a bit dull with no real fight for the drivers title.

I really hope that the pack is truly closer and more competitive next season, It would be great to see the end of mediocre seasons such as this one.
Indeed, plus nobody wants to see a team sack a driver for fighting with his teammate. That would have put Mercedes in a very poor light. The guy you quoted evidently has never worked in management.

Zico
27th November 2016, 20:58
Hamilton had knocked his speed off by at least a second a lap, yet Rosberg didn't "bother even having a look?" No doubt Rosberg was fast in all the same places Hamilton was, so if Rosberg couldn't pass Hamilton then it's hardly surprising Vettel couldn't pass Rosberg in those last few laps. Especially as Rosberg had the benefit of DRS. I don't believe Vettel would have pushed as hard as he clearly did to catch the leaders if he intended to gift Rosberg second place.

I was meaning that Seb didn't even have a look. It was as though he caught up then thought... Nah, Hammy is doing this deliberately, screw him..

Pure speculative potential nonsense from me though. :D

Nitrodaze
27th November 2016, 21:05
I was meaning that Seb didn't even have a look. It was as though he caught up then thought... Nah, Hammy is doing this deliberately, screw him..

Pure speculative potential nonsense from me though. :D

There is also the bad press in Germany to consider by Vettel, particularly if his move lost Rosberg the drivers title. In a sense, you could say Vettel has his eyes on a silver arrow seat, since the red one is not firing on all six cylinders.

Franky
28th November 2016, 06:35
The reason why quite many mention the unsportmanlike behaviour is that the title was already lost in Brazil and in Abu Dhabi Hamilton's title was already only mathematically possible. Why mathematically? If you are in a very dominant team and a bad race weekend could mean finishing third, then to hope that your team mate finishes somewhere else besides the podium is already clenching to the very last straws.

About preferring one driver to the other. Wouldn't you tend to be more supportive of a team player?

For me Hamilton is the sorest loser I've seen. Like I already mentioned, the chances of Nico losing the title were mathematical, then if you want to show that you are the better driver and you should had won it ... then you do a pure power demonstration and if possible even lap your team mate. Not slow down.

In reality, there will always be people who will say that Hamilton was sabotaged or sth and he should had won the title because he was the faster driver...

AndyL
28th November 2016, 09:38

It was interesting that when Martin Brundle asked Lewis if he was expecting to be summoned to the boss's office, Lewis said he was looking forward to it. The implication being that he intended to give as good as he got: that if the management castigated him for failing to heed the order, then he intended to rebuke them for issuing it.

driveace
28th November 2016, 09:51
Vettel too big a friend of the Rosberg family to challenge him in this race SO he tried to help |Rosbergs cause by not overtaking NOW if that had have been Ricciardo that would have been different or even Maxy !

driveace
28th November 2016, 09:59
IF Mercedes have the BALLS to sack Lewis than he still has the rest of his 100 million for the 3 year contract and boy would he be able to take some stats and information to Williams or McLaren .
Lewis has to be the richest driver out there ,more money ,and toys than any other F1 driver ,more than Paddy or Toto What grounds can they sack him on ? he has only had maybe one verbal warning Surely he has to have 3 verbal warnings and a written one before he can be sacked !
And the fact that Williams and McLaren have already got their driver lineup for next year ,Well they can pay their incoming drivers peanuts to stand down And what about Hamilton and Rob Smedley to Ferrari , as Vettel has looked very mediocre against Raikkonen

Nitrodaze
28th November 2016, 15:37
IF Mercedes have the BALLS to sack Lewis than he still has the rest of his 100 million for the 3 year contract and boy would he be able to take some stats and information to Williams or McLaren .
Lewis has to be the richest driver out there ,more money ,and toys than any other F1 driver ,more than Paddy or Toto What grounds can they sack him on ? he has only had maybe one verbal warning Surely he has to have 3 verbal warnings and a written one before he can be sacked !
And the fact that Williams and McLaren have already got their driver lineup for next year ,Well they can pay their incoming drivers peanuts to stand down And what about Hamilton and Rob Smedley to Ferrari , as Vettel has looked very mediocre against Raikkonen

Hamilton is the biggest F1 asset as the moment. He would be on the very top of the list of any team on the grid, including Ferrari.

If Hamilton and Mercedes part ways, it may take the shape of a swap for Vettel with Ferrari. Now Ferrari are rebuilding their engine, chassis and aero package from the ground up. While this may sound risky, it is the sensible thing to do. I think Ferrari are the dark horse of the 2017 season. Now imagine if Ferrari got their act together and turn up with a winner next season with Hamilton in one their cars.