PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Felipe

N4D13
1st September 2016, 16:01
Well, I'm surprised that no one has opened this thread yet, so I'll have to.

I wasn't expecting to read the confirmation of Massa's retirement just yet, so it's come as quite a surprise to me. However, quite frankly, I think it's come a few years too late - he's a nice guy, but not that great as a driver IMHO.

andyone
1st September 2016, 16:21
Well, I'm surprised that no one has opened this thread yet, so I'll have to.

I wasn't expecting to read the confirmation of Massa's retirement just yet, so it's come as quite a surprise to me. However, quite frankly, I think it's come a few years too late - he's a nice guy, but not that great as a driver IMHO.

i totally agree with you. i like him but i guess he wouldn't have got a seat next year and he decided to retire instead of not getting a seat.

Nitrodaze
1st September 2016, 17:07
His motivation was not quite there this year. He seemed to get all the problems with the car at Williams this year hence has not showed his normal level of performance. A driver like Massa brings alot of experience to a team, hence l think he would have found a seat if he really wanted to continue in F1. However, it is true that the sort of seats he would have wanted are locked out by fresh in-fluxing talent or relocating younger talents with experience.

He is part of F1's history and we shall talk about him when we reminisce the high points of his carreer that intersects Hamilton's, Alonso's, Raikonnen and Schumacher's. I think he is deserving of a respectable farewell.

Starter
2nd September 2016, 00:23
double post.

Starter
2nd September 2016, 00:27
A very good driver capable of winning and did. Always better than 2/3 of the drivers on the grid, but age catches up with the best of us (except maybe for Fangio and Watson). Great comeback from his injury. He's earned a good retirement.

Tazio
2nd September 2016, 01:42
Farewell Felipe! On your day you were as fast as anyone. You are a man, and a racing prodigy. This sums up your 2008 campaign:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/felipe-massa-of-brazil-and-ferrari-looks-disappointed-on-the-podium-picture-id83533399

Man what a climax to an incredible season. I watched that race at a dive bar in the San Diego Gaslamp with Gloomyday! :beer:

jens
2nd September 2016, 09:33
A very good driver capable of winning and did. Always better than 2/3 of the drivers on the grid---

I don't think I would rate him that highly. I personally wouldn't place him among top 10 drivers on the grid and wouldn't have done so for years already.

Otherwise a decent mid-level talent, who has got pretty fortunate with cars in his career. For 10 years already he has been driving only either good or very good cars.

His performances during 2006-2009 are memorable. Some truly standout drives and even a title challenge, which came completely unexpected for many.

Since then not much to remember though. Consistently getting beaten by team-mates, sometimes by an embarrassing amount, and only very few impressive drives. About time to retire and at least finally this Williams seat opens up for somebody else.:)

I am evil Homer
2nd September 2016, 11:36
Farewell Felipe. On his day, a very good driver but never a great one. One of those i'd signpost as the difference between a 'fast driver' and 'racer' - I think, the last year in particular, he's lacked the motivation and so the time is right.

A classy guy though, a great chracter.

Nitrodaze
2nd September 2016, 12:25
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Felipe_Massa_podium_-_2014_Italian_Grand_Prix_%2802%29.jpg/220px-Felipe_Massa_podium_-_2014_Italian_Grand_Prix_%2802%29.jpg

Nationality :- Brazilian
First F1 race : Australian GP 2002
Total nos of races : 243 race starts
Total nos of podiums : 41
Total number of wins : 11
Highest Title position : 2nd [2008]
Total career points : 1110 points
Teams driven for : Sauber, Ferrari, Williams

In an era of Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso, Massa has held his own to show he is a talented racer. His record shows that he is no slouch. And his remarkable determination to return to racing after what could have been a career ending injury where a projectile [spring] from Ruben Barichello's Brawn lodged into his forehead, shows what a fighter this guy is. His war of words with Hamilton was funny and would be missed. His absence from the grid next year would certainly be noticed. Farewell Felipe, we look forward to the next generation of Massa.

Starter
2nd September 2016, 13:26
I don't think I would rate him that highly. I personally wouldn't place him among top 10 drivers on the grid and wouldn't have done so for years already.
You'll notice I didn't say "great" I said "very good".

Otherwise a decent mid-level talent, who has got pretty fortunate with cars in his career. For 10 years already he has been driving only either good or very good cars.
There have been a number of drivers who, because of happening to be in the right place at the right time, achieved results greater than perhaps expected. I rate him slightly higher than that.

The Black Knight
2nd September 2016, 13:50
A fine driver but he was never up there with the best of them.

He was also a very moany driver. I've never rated him as very important for F1 and I think he has overspent his welcome. It's good his seat finally gets to go to someone more deserving.

Nice guy overall but I'm glad to see him leave and I'd wish him all the best in the future.

Nitrodaze
2nd September 2016, 16:23
A fine driver but he was never up there with the best of them.

He was also a very moany driver. I've never rated him as very important for F1 and I think he has overspent his welcome. It's good his seat finally gets to go to someone more deserving.

Nice guy overall but I'm glad to see him leave and I'd wish him all the best in the future.

I think his biggest weak point was a lack of consistency. On his day, he has proved a competition for the best on the grid. Also, most people attribute the radio silence rule to what appears to be a heavy reliance of Massa on Smedley who appeared to openly coach Massa on occasions.

But massa's record is to some extent diminished from what it actually should have been by team orders. We all remember the "Alonso is faster than you" call in Hockenhiem some years back. He has out qualified Schumacher, Alonso and Raikonnen on his day. He was a great team player, which is one of the reasons why he has had a long career. Brazil has always produced quality drivers, and Massa is easily among them.

Zico
2nd September 2016, 17:16
Goodbye Felipe, I will always remember you in a positive light. You might not have been among the very quickest on the grid but you are/were a safe driver, a likable character and overall, a credit to the sport.

All the very best in whatever you decide to do after F1.

Adios!

:)

yodasarmpit
2nd September 2016, 18:16
Shame to see him go, but it's time to be brutally honest. He was never the same following the 2009 crash.

steveaki13
3rd September 2016, 13:13
Bye bye Felipe. had a good career. One of the most unlucky not to have been world champion in 2008.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

driveace
3rd September 2016, 21:02
Nice guy but with a wife and family to consider drivers tend to look at safety and become no longer competitive .
Had to toe the line at Ferrari ,and as said after the accident where he was in the wrong place at the wrong time ,and suffered a head injury he has not been the same since. I saw Rob Smedley auction one of Filipe,s race suits for charity and how small Filipe actually was

gm99
3rd September 2016, 21:59
It'll be interesting to see who's going to fill Massa's seat at Williams next year.
Prior to this week-end I would have thought Button or one of the Force India drivers, but apparently they are staying put and Button will remain at McLaren, though not as a race driver.
Personally, I'd love to see Wehrlein in that car (he's definitely too good for Manor), and with the Williams-Mercedes connection, it's not entirely unrealistic.
Or the other Felipe (Nasr) is bringing some money to race for the team where he was already a test driver.
I don't really see them bringing back Di Resta.

Rollo
4th September 2016, 03:19
I've never rated him as very important for F1 and I think he has overspent his welcome

If his engine hadn't clagged in Melbourn in 2008, he'd have finished 7th and picked up 2 points.... and been World Champion.

steveaki13
4th September 2016, 08:40
Or if Glock had just held on in those last corners. So to dismiss him as not very important is a bit off.

The Black Knight
5th September 2016, 08:00
If his engine hadn't clagged in Melbourn in 2008, he'd have finished 7th and picked up 2 points.... and been World Champion.

There's always so many if's and but's with Felipe or with any season. What matters is what was and he wasn't good enough.

Or if Glock had just held on in those last corners. So to dismiss him as not very important is a bit off.

Again an if only xyz happened, but that's irrelevant. He hasn't been important for F1 since 2008. He has been a waste in any seat he has been in since 2009. It's nothing personal I have against the guy, he's a nice chap, but he should have gone a long time ago.

Bezza
5th September 2016, 12:27
Been a good driver has Massa, but he stayed at Ferrari way too long. It was in 2010 that he was going to the lapdog for Alonso, so he should have won the German GP (he has never come close since) that year instead of obeying team orders and then moved to another team for 2011. Maybe, he could've churned out a few more wins and podiums elsewhere instead of spending 2011, 2012 and 2013 in the doldrums. I think by 2014 it was probably too late - the 2014 Williams was pretty good and I think a really good driver would have squeezed a couple of wins out of it, in Abu Dhabi for example.

I think Felipe will regret that German GP in 2010. He could've had at least one more win on his CV.

airshifter
5th September 2016, 17:03
A great career, and a really good driver. I think playing #2 over the years killed his motivation quite a bit, and combined with being less than consistent wasn't a great combination long term. But he had his days where he was really fast, and considering the drivers he competed against, beating them some of the time wasn't an easy task.

His podium at Interlagos in 2008 was the Felipe we needed to see more of.

http://static.sportskeeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/felipe-massa-brazilgp-1403939821.jpg

CNR
24th January 2017, 04:40
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/felipe-massa-wont-hand-back-retirement-f1-gift
Felipe Massa won't hand back retirement F1 gift

The Brazilian was gifted his Interlagos Williams car before returning this off-season

Read more BullSH***: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/felipe-massa-wont-hand-back-retirement-f1-gift#ixzz4WeR8Ury5

gm99
4th November 2017, 21:54
Groundhog day: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/11/massa-to-leave-williams--retire-from-f1.html

Another last home GP. Cue early retirement and tears.

The Black Knight
5th November 2017, 00:59
Great - I hope he is gone for good this time. Been a waste of a seat for the past 8 years in F1.

Lets hope we don't have to endure another painstaking walk down the pit lane in Brazil this year while a race is on going.

steveaki13
5th November 2017, 09:42
You are very anti people these days. Cheer up

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

journeyman racer
7th November 2017, 03:57
Just another ****** up comment from TBK. What for?