PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Hungarian procession

N4D13
24th July 2016, 14:44
Who do you think shone the most today?

For me it's quite difficult to single anyone out, but I'd probably go for Rosberg in lack of a better candidate. He was the fastest driver today, but a poor start ruined his chances. Kimi also had a nice recovery race.

There's also Alonso for coming best of the rest, but that's all we can say about his race. This was a good track for the McLarens and he delivered.

gm99
24th July 2016, 14:54
I don't agree with the choice of Rosberg at all. He had a poor start, and that was that. He never looked to challenge Hamilton after that at all (maybe he wasn't allowed to post-Austria).

Maybe Kimi - to improve from 14th to sixth on a track that is notoriously hard to over-take on was quite good, as was not crashing into Verstappen although the Dutchman seemed hell-bent on causing a collision.

Ultimately, though, I'd go for the dancing track marshalls. They provided the only real highlight of an incredibly dull race.

The Black Knight
24th July 2016, 14:58
Certainly not Rosberg- Hamilton had him under control at all times and pulled out a gap whenever needed.

Driver of the day, probably Alonso, Hammy and Ricciardo but a boring race overall.

Nitrodaze
24th July 2016, 15:01
I think Raikonenn deserves that accolade. He drove a fantastic race from 14th at the start to 6th.

yodasarmpit
24th July 2016, 15:31
Max for another display of pretty awesome defending.

longisland
24th July 2016, 15:43
Max for another display of pretty awesome defending.
Verstappen clearly moved twice.

yodasarmpit
24th July 2016, 15:49
If he didn't move a second time, how would he manage to take the corner? The first move was to defend, the second move was him simply driving around the turn.

I am loving his driving style, his defending is very strong but fair - the attacking driver needs skill and commitment.

Nitrodaze
24th July 2016, 16:27
If he didn't move a second time, how would he manage to take the corner? The first move was to defend, the second move was him simply driving around the turn.

I am loving his driving style, his defending is very strong but fair - the attacking driver needs skill and commitment.

Sorry buddy, he should have thought about the corner before making the first move, that's what every other driver do. He drove a crap race today, not impressed with him today. I am a Verstapenn fan by the way.

Starter
24th July 2016, 16:45
The dancing marshals for sure. Highlight of the race.

Tazio
24th July 2016, 18:33
Jeez take your pick. After the excitement of Saturday, Sunday was really a bore to watch. I can't think of anyone that put in an exemplary exhibition that set him apart

The Boss may have very cleverly managed this race from the front, putting as little stress on his PU as possible. If so that is commendable

Nico stayed close. but was whupped none the less

Rico drove a good strategic race, but Red Bull is not quite there yet.

Vettel and Kimi represented the Scuds well, a good result for them. Kimi had the strategy and the will to show well. It seemed like a frustrating race for Seb.

Max raced hard and mostly fair, I like his spirit.

I guess Fred had a decent race, nothing more than I would expect though.

No one really stood out to me!

steveaki13
24th July 2016, 18:45
Total bore fest.

Hamilton started well and won with as little effort as possible and Rosberg never challenged.

I too thought there was little in the way of outstanding performances. I will vote for Fred. Alonso was very good today.

Jag_Warrior
24th July 2016, 20:44
I think Raikonenn deserves that accolade. He drove a fantastic race from 14th at the start to 6th.

Räikkönen for sure. Solid drive and strategy by Ferrari, even though he couldn't get by Max the Swerve.

airshifter
25th July 2016, 01:02
A lot of solid drives today really, and it's hard for me to pick a driver of the race. Sure the race could have been more exciting, but tracks without many passing opportunities often create races like this. And more than a few good moves regardless, and some solid defending.

I'm still on the fence about that first move by Max that ended up damaging Kimi's wing, but for the most part he showed he won't crack under pressure and knows how to make the car wide without pushing the rule too far.

Rollo
25th July 2016, 01:25
Jensen Button.
Why? For a remarkable display of calm.

I think that he should have just sworn a streak across the sky. Being given a penalty when quite obviously the car had a problem and was demonstrably unsafe, is utterly ludicrous.

Mia 01
25th July 2016, 12:14
Kimi, his best race this season so far!

Nitrodaze
25th July 2016, 15:53
A lot of solid drives today really, and it's hard for me to pick a driver of the race. Sure the race could have been more exciting, but tracks without many passing opportunities often create races like this. And more than a few good moves regardless, and some solid defending.

I'm still on the fence about that first move by Max that ended up damaging Kimi's wing, but for the most part he showed he won't crack under pressure and knows how to make the car wide without pushing the rule too far.

If everyone on the track start to drive like that, there would regular crashes on race weekends. Waiting to defend at the last moment after the attacking driver has made a move is asking for someone to crash into him. The Raikonnen crash into Verstapenn was completely unavoidable. In certain circumstances, it could have been much worst. And there was the double change of directions, which is simply not how it is done. I don't think that is great defending or driving. It is not much different to Rosberg's defensive move at Spain that caused the Mercedes wipe out.

Starter
25th July 2016, 16:46
If everyone on the track start to drive like that, there would regular crashes on race weekends. Waiting to defend at the last moment after the attacking driver has made a move is asking for someone to crash into him. The Raikonnen crash into Verstapenn was completely unavoidable. In certain circumstances, it could have been much worst. And there was the double change of directions, which is simply not how it is done. I don't think that is great defending or driving. It is not much different to Rosberg's defensive move at Spain that caused the Mercedes wipe out.
The rule of thumb has always been one move is defending your position and two moves is blocking. That is the way it should be enforced. I saw two moves.

Bagwan
25th July 2016, 17:02
It was at the very edge of being allowable , but the first move was deemed a defensive move , and the second , his move to take his line , which , while fully ahead , was his right .

Kimi misjudged it .

Starter
26th July 2016, 00:56
It was at the very edge of being allowable , but the first move was deemed a defensive move , and the second , his move to take his line , which , while fully ahead , was his right .

Kimi misjudged it .
Once you have made the first move you don't get a second.

Tazio
26th July 2016, 01:41

Kimi misjudged it .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y18HS1EK_OM
It appears in the video that Kimi actually got caught out by Max's deceleration into the corner!

Nitrodaze
26th July 2016, 09:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y18HS1EK_OM
It appears in the video that Kimi actually got caught out by Max's deceleration into the corner!

I doubt that very much. Watch it again in very slow motion [stop the play in small steps if you haven't got slow option]. It all happened approaching the corner, not quite where they would normally start to slow for the corner but approaching it rapidly.
Verstapenn moved with Raikonenn as he moved right to go on the outside and left to attempt the inside, then right again to avoid the imminent crash. It all happened really fast but it was clearly two change of position.

The rule says a driver can have only one change of position to defend. Once they have made that change, they must negotiate the approaching corner from that position. Another change of position to take the racing line that was previously abandoned in the first change of direction and may be seen to constitutes a second change of direction. Which appears to be the case.

But l suppose, it would not be consistent if Verstapenn was punished for this, when Rosberg was not punished for his similar Spanish maneuver. What to notice though, was that on each occasion that this type of defensive manuevar have been exercised, there has been some sort of crash. I suppose you could say they were borderline cases, but really hardcore racing which we see little of in recent times for good reason.

jens
26th July 2016, 12:04
I'd say Ricciardo for clearly beating Verstappen this time and finishing as "best of the rest" behind the two Mercedes.

Also Alonso for being "best of the rest" behind the big three teams.

yodasarmpit
26th July 2016, 12:06
I have rewatched the move numerous times now, and for the life of me I cannot identify where Max would be to blame.
Kimi faked a move to the right prompting Max moved over to defend, then Kimi moved over to his left as Max began to take the corner then for some odd reason Kimi switched back to the right hitting Max in the process.

airshifter
26th July 2016, 12:36

The impact happened when Kimi changed his mind. Though Max did twitch towards the inside on Kimi's first move, that is all it was. It was far from a block, and there was room for Kimi on the inside. When Kimi went back to the right, Max was on a straight line for the apex, not blocking, and not in any way closing the door.

I think Kimi out-faked himself, finding room on the inside, and then questioning if he could make the corner on the inside without causing a collision.

Mia 01
26th July 2016, 13:05
The leading driver can only change lin one time in the braking zone. The chasing has the right to change how many times he will.

MAX, yo yo yo.

Nitrodaze
26th July 2016, 23:34
I have rewatched the move numerous times now, and for the life of me I cannot identify where Max would be to blame.
Kimi faked a move to the right prompting Max moved over to defend, then Kimi moved over to his left as Max began to take the corner then for some odd reason Kimi switched back to the right hitting Max in the process.
Thats what l thought initially after seeing the overhead shots of both cars as they fought for the corner. Then l changed my mind when i saw the onboard view from Kimi's car. There was no space on the inside as Max did not leave a cars width as the rule demands that he does. If Kimi had tried to take the inside line, he would have crashed into the side of the redbull. Avoiding action to the outside was his only option, and even so he still could not avoid clipping the redbull.

It was on the very limit of legallity, but it is begging for a walloping up the backside and that would happen very soon.

airshifter
28th July 2016, 11:58
Thats what l thought initially after seeing the overhead shots of both cars as they fought for the corner. Then l changed my mind when i saw the onboard view from Kimi's car. There was no space on the inside as Max did not leave a cars width as the rule demands that he does. If Kimi had tried to take the inside line, he would have crashed into the side of the redbull. Avoiding action to the outside was his only option, and even so he still could not avoid clipping the redbull.

It was on the very limit of legallity, but it is begging for a walloping up the backside and that would happen very soon.

The way I understand the rule, there is no obligation to leave a cars width when defending unless the car is already alongside. You can essentially block a line by leaving less than a car width to either track limit, you just can't do it when the cars are already overlapped and the chasing car would have to run off track or be hit.

From the views I saw, it appeared to me that Kimi had room inside regardless. But assuming you are correct and there wasn't room, I still don't see any violation of the rules.

As for your last comment, I agree that it could have easily caused an impact. But IMHO tight racing often causes that situation, and often creates some impacts that are simply legitimate racing incidents, with neither driver making bad choices. As much as I was hoping Kimi would get by Max, Max stayed cool and defended very well IMO.

Bagwan
28th July 2016, 12:26
The way I understand the rule, there is no obligation to leave a cars width when defending unless the car is already alongside. You can essentially block a line by leaving less than a car width to either track limit, you just can't do it when the cars are already overlapped and the chasing car would have to run off track or be hit.

From the views I saw, it appeared to me that Kimi had room inside regardless. But assuming you are correct and there wasn't room, I still don't see any violation of the rules.

As for your last comment, I agree that it could have easily caused an impact. But IMHO tight racing often causes that situation, and often creates some impacts that are simply legitimate racing incidents, with neither driver making bad choices. As much as I was hoping Kimi would get by Max, Max stayed cool and defended very well IMO.

That's exactly the way I see it , Shifter .

Kimi misjudged it by the tiniest of amounts , shown by the fact they were both able to carry on .
One could say that Max also misjudged it as well , as he was also in this racing incident .

Tazio
29th July 2016, 01:40

Yeah, we're with you too! ;)

http://static.tumblr.com/f9ac6d8b310888606fb99daddbc00b83/ukuqhg7/VDSnxubdb/tumblr_static_3wz3aga82wo44gokkkw8ccs8w.gif