PDA

View Full Version : The new revised radio rules, daft or just what's needed?

Nitrodaze
21st July 2016, 15:03
The rules now require drivers to compulsorily pit immediately after they are informed that they have a problem. It would seem the 10 seconds penalty is considered not severe enough. In practical terms, what is the impact of this approach?

Take Sergio Pere's crash into the barriers at Spielberg Austria, the team knew brake failure was imminent but did not tell him for fear of the consequences of doing so. The end result was the brake failed and Sergio was placed at risk as a consequence. Though Peres got out of that one, his crash was not too dissimilar to the crash that killed Bianchi or Senna. They were all crashes into the barrier at speed. Hence from this perspective, it would seem the FIA have shifted the risk to the teams to decide if they should take a chance and see what happens or lose opportunity and bring their driver into the pits.

The real problem with bringing the driver into the pit is, for the sort of problems faced by Peres and Rosberg, bringing them into the pits would be quite pointless, as the teams would not be able to fix the problem anyways [certainly not in time to rejoin the race in a competitive position]. They would have unfettered opportunity to discuss it at the pits, but the opportunity would have gone from the moment they entered the pit lane.

I think, if Force India had told Peres that he had a brake problem, he would have nursed the car to the finish line. He may have lost a place or two, but he probably would not have crashed into the barriers. Chances are teams would most likely take the risk of saying nothing and see what happens rather than calling their driver into the pits for a problem they know they cannot solve. I also see the possibility that the steering console would get cleverer with state of the art communication to give the driver more real time information about the health of the car. This aspect was the logical next advancement of the F1 car anyways. This rule would seem to be bringing this advancement forward.

But this sort of technology is not something teams can bring about in a couple weeks. in the interim, is the rule like taking a mallet to a monkey nut? Would a simple clarification of the existing rule not have sufficed? Is the new rule a safety risk? There are loads of questions that this new rule conjures up. On the surface, it feels like another knee jerk reaction.

Whyzars
23rd July 2016, 13:29
The mission statement is to tweak everything until it is perfectly discombobulated.

I would have no problem with pit controlled warning lights or text codes on the screen. That's about all a driver needs.

Radio's are for playing "Hits of the 80's"... :)

janneppi
23rd July 2016, 16:58
As I think wrote couple of years go, why should there even be a datalink from the car to the pit?
If there is a brake temp problem or what ever, have a warning on the dashboard to let the driver know and slow down.

AndyL
24th July 2016, 14:10
One thing they should add to the radio ban is drivers complaining about blue flags.

yodasarmpit
24th July 2016, 15:33
Absolutely nonsensical. Either ditch all radio or let them chat freely.

Starter
24th July 2016, 16:35
Yes, ban the radios, back to pit boards alone. This being the 21st century, the pit boards should be binary though.

steveaki13
24th July 2016, 18:47
It is hard, because some want the most advanced cars and tech while some want to see the best drivers show most skill. This would mean no radios, manual gear changing etc......

However the current rules are as dopey as you like.

Jag_Warrior
24th July 2016, 19:52
However the current rules are as dopey as you like.

Yep! About as dopey and confusing as they can be!

How was Mercedes telling Hamilton to pick up the pace or they'd pit Rosberg first OK, but McLaren telling Button to stay out and work through his brake issue not OK? And Button got a penalty?! To me, what they told Hamilton was closer to "coaching". But I'm just a fan and me being confused and/or frustrated by what I'm hearing doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

I agree with Button: his issue was about as safety related as an issue could be. Why should the FIA worry about putting rollbars on F1 cars if they're OK with them circulating without brakes?

airshifter
25th July 2016, 00:55
They need to figure it out one way or another, because as is it's just a mess of rules that make no sense at all. I'm glad Button took the opportunity to mention on the radio that he did think driving an F1 car with possibly failing brakes was a safety issue... because it IS a safety issue.

They clearly want to make sure they can apply penalty when they want, and ignore it when they want.

Nitrodaze
25th July 2016, 09:12
They need to figure it out one way or another, because as is it's just a mess of rules that make no sense at all. I'm glad Button took the opportunity to mention on the radio that he did think driving an F1 car with possibly failing brakes was a safety issue... because it IS a safety issue.

They clearly want to make sure they can apply penalty when they want, and ignore it when they want.

We have seen in recent races how drivers make the merest of lift through yellow flagged portions of the track. There is very little concern from the stewards about this. I suppose, a marshal has to be injured or killed before action is taken. This is just another example of how inconsistent the application of the rules are at the mo.

jens
26th July 2016, 12:02
One of the strangest things to ever get a penalty for, surely (Button last race). Ehh?

I personally never had a problem with the radios. They can talk and discuss all what they want. Doesn't annoy me. What annoys me, are overreacting and creating pointless penalties. Sort of "shifting attention away from more important issues" - sort of like what governments usually do. :)

BleAivano
28th July 2016, 13:20
IMO ban all radio talk, there is no need for radio talk during races. Sure it is a serious safety risk if the brakes or steering fail but there could be a very simple light on
the instrument panel telling the driver that something is wrong so that the driver can slow down and return to the pits.

Everything else is up to the driver to solve on his own.

Bagwan
28th July 2016, 23:03
One of the strangest things to ever get a penalty for, surely (Button last race). Ehh?

I personally never had a problem with the radios. They can talk and discuss all what they want. Doesn't annoy me. What annoys me, are overreacting and creating pointless penalties. Sort of "shifting attention away from more important issues" - sort of like what governments usually do. :)

You got your wish , jens , as they will now be able to say all they want to the drivers , except on the formation lap .
Apparently , they will edit out most of the coaching , but the rules have been relaxed in that regard anyway , so common sense has prevailed .

We have the radio jabber back .
Halle-friggin-lewya .

AndyL
29th July 2016, 10:27
So that's the second time this season a major rule change has been reverted. It very much looks like they need to think about these rule changes harder in the first place. Maybe the next rule the strategy group comes up with should be no more rule changes.

Morte66
29th July 2016, 11:34
So, blue flags next?

zako85
29th July 2016, 13:28
The way I see it, the inept Strategy Group, which has already proved to be incapable to deal with the real issues such as the falling interest in F1 racing and a very uneven and expensive playing field, is trying to justify its existence or is trying to create some kind of an appearance of doing work by nitpicking and micromanaging things that were not broken to begin with. First they did this to qualifying. Next, we get these new radio rules.

So far the only "success" by the strategy group decisions are the fake sparks that are coming from underneath the cars. That's all they have done so far that actually stuck.

The Black Knight
30th July 2016, 16:41
The whole radio rules situations is ridiculous.

There's a number of things that can be achivef with immediate affect to change the situation in F1.

1) Get rid of Charlie Whiting. He is not good enough. He makes daft random mid season decisions that make no sense. The radio rules and now red flags are the primary example.

2) He's not strong or capable enough. Starting races under the safety car after someone had gone for a piss on the track has just become an embarrassment. They are the best drivers in the world getting paid a lot of money to do a dangerous job and this whole too wet nonsense is getting on my tits. First Silverstone and then Hungary. As far as I am concerned the sessions in qualifying Hungary should have continued as normal. The best drivers won't aqua plane and bin in those conditions.

Silverstone was, once again, an embarrassment and the race start should have been a normal one.

F1 needs someone that will make sensible decisions and, Charlie may be responsible for safety but he also has a responsibility to the fans not to ruin the show. He can't balance the two and needs to be replaced by someone who can.

Nitrodaze
31st July 2016, 11:51
The whole radio rules situations is ridiculous.

There's a number of things that can be achivef with immediate affect to change the situation in F1.

1) Get rid of Charlie Whiting. He is not good enough. He makes daft random mid season decisions that make no sense. The radio rules and now red flags are the primary example.

2) He's not strong or capable enough. Starting races under the safety car after someone had gone for a piss on the track has just become an embarrassment. They are the best drivers in the world getting paid a lot of money to do a dangerous job and this whole too wet nonsense is getting on my tits. First Silverstone and then Hungary. As far as I am concerned the sessions in qualifying Hungary should have continued as normal. The best drivers won't aqua plane and bin in those conditions.

Silverstone was, once again, an embarrassment and the race start should have been a normal one.

F1 needs someone that will make sensible decisions and, Charlie may be responsible for safety but he also has a responsibility to the fans not to ruin the show. He can't balance the two and needs to be replaced by someone who can.

I think taking a cautious approach to starts in the wet is understandable, given that the last F1 fatality happened on a rain drenched track. Hence a safety car start to the race was a good way to go at Silverstone. But it probably went on a bit too long. That is where the angts was. Charlie Whiting has kept F1 race weekends ticking over like clockwork for as long as l can remember. He is rarely praised for the unseen services that he does for the sport. But certainly gets the sharp end of criticisms on those rare occasions when things are not perfect or goes wrong.

I think we should be mindfull of what we say about those people like Mr Whiting who's service has been one of the operation shoulders that has kept this sport a recurring successful event year in year out.

Like Bernie Ecclestone, Charlie Whiting is in that group of the operational machine of the F1 show that is fast heading towards retirement. The real problem is, each of these individuals would leave behind quite huge footprints to fill. As we see the churn of talent into F1 cars, it is not so visible what is done to transition new talent into these operational and managerial positions of the F1 show. Hence in a sense you are quite correct that new talent should be nurtured and transitioned into these roles that would likely become vacant in the not too distant future.