PDA

View Full Version : Can Nico Rosberg win the 2016 Drivers Title?

Nitrodaze
20th July 2016, 01:19
Just a few weeks ago, there was much talk about whether Hamilton can recover to ignite the fight for the drivers title this season. It all seemed impossible. Faced with one calamity to another while a very smiling Rosberg racked up the points with four straight wins. Forty three points ahead on race day at Spain and it seemed very much a done deal with Rosberg only needing to do enough to maintain his very healthy lead.

Like a bad dream in one of those hellish American movies, Rosberg went to bed after the British grand prix with one sole point ahead. A troubled sleep no doubt. With Hamilton on a surge but with looming engine penalties, it now beggers the question, can Rosberg still find a way to win the WDC of 2016? As it stands at this moment, it is very much on the balance. Either of the Mercedes drivers can win it. It comes down to championship winning temperament, strategy and a bucket load of luck. As far as talent goes, they both have loads of it. But who really is the smart money on? Which of these guys have the edge to pull it off this season?

As the underdog, the sentimental goodwill is with Rosberg to win it this season. But sentiments do not win championships. A wily head, great work ethics and great strategy (and tons of luck) wins the victor the title. Hence, whose turn is it this season?

Starter
20th July 2016, 03:28
There are no "turns". it's about desire with luck thrown in as the wild card.

With no strange events and just the two racing it's Hamilton hands down. He has that killer instinct that I'm not sure Nico has - or at least hasn't learned how to use yet.

zako85
20th July 2016, 09:09
Yes.

pantealex
20th July 2016, 10:04
Yes he can.

AndyL
20th July 2016, 10:50
Anyone heard any further news on Rosberg's gearbox issue at Silverstone? Will he face a gearbox penalty in Hungary? If so then it's certainly going to make things a lot harder for him on a circuit where Red Bulls and Ferraris will not be easy to pass.

Mintexmemory
20th July 2016, 21:59
He can - in as much as he's mathematically able to, but he won't. I don't see Rosberg as an 'underdog'. He's had pretty much everything he could have wanted in terms of a 'blessed' career with no struggle to get where he is. The money was always there to ensure he could showcase his talent. Hamilton is the reverse, his talent made sure that the money would come. So yes NR will get a couple of 'gimme' races but that's not sufficient to stop LH winning enough of the events when they start on level terms to take the hat trick crown

stevesmurf1
21st July 2016, 22:15
He's in the best car however he will never manage to gain the psycological edge over Lewis and we have seen great examples if thus recently.

Spa last year, turning point after a coming together! Nice won the race but lost the psychological battle. Made worse in USA in turn 1!!!

Again in Austria Lewis gained a psychological advantage that I expect him to take all the way to the title.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Jag_Warrior
23rd July 2016, 18:46
It's certainly possible. And with Hamilton's early bad luck, start issues and potential engine penalties before the end of the season, the odds are still in Rosberg's favor... except for his tendency to choke at inopportune times. I think most people would say that Hamilton can win another WDC simply by beating Nico - which we've seen happen numerous times. But in order to secure his first WDC, Nico needs to beat Hamilton and also needs Hamilton to experience some more bad luck. Given that the Mercedes W07 (especially Hamilton's power units) isn't so bulletproof this year, I can see that happening.

Nico reminds me of IRL driver Will Power: very capable, but often cracks under pressure. Maybe he'll finally break that cycle though.

AL14
25th July 2016, 14:17
I may seem a bit superficial but I think he is just less talented than Hamilton. Only good luck can help him but in a champioship with so many events it is impossible to stay ahaed for more than he actually did until yesterday. It would be good for him to accept it otherwise he would live a career and a life of disappointments and regrets (as it is actually).

zako85
25th July 2016, 15:04
I may seem a bit superficial but I think he is just less talented than Hamilton. Only good luck can help him but in a champioship with so many events it is impossible to stay ahaed for more than he actually did until yesterday. It would be good for him to accept it otherwise he would live a career and a life of disappointments and regrets (as it is actually).

Superficial? Anyone who followed the 2014 season would conclude that Hamilton is faster than Rosberg. The same was confirmed in 2015. One didn't need to wait until now to make that conclusion. Having said that, I think Rosberg is close enough to Hamilton to create a challenge that can't be ignored. Rosberg is the racer who will snatch the win from Hamilton if Hamilton happens to blink the wrong way some time during the racing weekend. This is something that can't be said when comparing say Vettel and Webber. One of the reasons the years of Vettel domination (at least half of all of them) were such a snoozefest was because Webber simply couldn't get anywhere near where Vettel was. It would have been a lot more fun as Rosberg was Vettel's teammate.

driveace
25th July 2016, 16:28
Nico is good if 1st into the first corner ,but I believe he has signed a new contract that also said " No more driving your team mate off the track" Hamilton is a true racer ,when pushed Nico makes mistakes.OK Hamilton fell asleep yesterday ,and admitted that he fell asleep and went off on a corner but Rosberg was not close enough or clever enough to take advantage

Bagwan
25th July 2016, 17:12
Nico simply , as he said , didn't get the same start as Ricardo and Hamilton .
That's where he lost it .

And , as we know the Merc has trouble following other cars , so he was lucky he made it past the honey badger , or he would have been made to look a lot worse .

Lewis didn't put it an inch wrong , and deserved the win , as Nico was breathing down his neck the whole way .
The first corner is crucial .

AL14
25th July 2016, 20:15
One didn't need to wait until now to make that conclusion.

Completely agree but since this thread put a question I answered it. :)

Mintexmemory
25th July 2016, 20:51
Superficial? Anyone who followed the 2014 season would conclude that Hamilton is faster than Rosberg. The same was confirmed in 2015. One didn't need to wait until now to make that conclusion. Having said that, I think Rosberg is close enough to Hamilton to create a challenge that can't be ignored. Rosberg is the racer who will snatch the win from Hamilton if Hamilton happens to blink the wrong way some time during the racing weekend. This is something that can't be said when comparing say Vettel and Webber. One of the reasons the years of Vettel domination (at least half of all of them) were such a snoozefest was because Webber simply couldn't get anywhere near where Vettel was. It would have been a lot more fun as Rosberg was Vettel's teammate.
I think if this was LH and Rosberg in Red Bulls then the gap would be much wider! There would have been no change of mechanics and pit crew for a start.

truefan72
26th July 2016, 11:11
I think if this was LH and Rosberg in Red Bulls then the gap would be much wider! There would have been no change of mechanics and pit crew for a start.

yup!

jens
26th July 2016, 12:08
Hamilton is the more talented of the two, though Rosberg could win the WDC if "reliability/circumstances" go in his favour, like they did early in the season. Don't give much chances for it to happen though. Back in 2014 at the same time Rosberg's points situation was even better than now (leading by 29 pts after Spa), yet couldn't win it.

Much is discussed about Mercedes' reliability, but they haven't had a car-related DNF yet! Though Hamilton did start last in China due to qualifying problems.

Whyzars
27th July 2016, 23:37
No.

AndyL
28th July 2016, 11:23
Hamilton is the more talented of the two, though Rosberg could win the WDC if "reliability/circumstances" go in his favour, like they did early in the season. Don't give much chances for it to happen though. Back in 2014 at the same time Rosberg's points situation was even better than now (leading by 29 pts after Spa), yet couldn't win it.

Much is discussed about Mercedes' reliability, but they haven't had a car-related DNF yet! Though Hamilton did start last in China due to qualifying problems.

Lewis has at least 15 places of grid penalties coming sooner or later. Rosberg is on course to complete the season without engine penalties, barring any more unexpected failures.

driveace
28th July 2016, 12:25
But IF Lewis gets out in front as he did in Hungary then controls the race but does not thrash the car ,maybe he can make his engines last all season without any penalties .

AndyL
28th July 2016, 12:39
But IF Lewis gets out in front as he did in Hungary then controls the race but does not thrash the car ,maybe he can make his engines last all season without any penalties .

I think that's optimistic... Lewis was on to his 5th turbo and MGU-K at the start of the Austrian GP, with 13 races of 21 still ahead of him.