PDA

View Full Version : Spectator Timing

marcb
22nd June 2016, 10:15
Hello everyone,
as a developer of a high-end stopwatch app, I was recently asked by an apparent rally fan (WRC in particular) for a more niche spectator timing app. The app would allow the fan to measure and compare performance of cars right where he was standing during any special stage. Information would include relative performance compared to the first car (likely assuming a set start time gap of say 3 minutes) as well as averages previously observed.

I am wondering: Is this really something that spectators want? There seem to be a few (really crappy, old) apps out there with rather limited capabilities. Do spectators really measure and compare times at their location while the special stage is in progress. How do they do it right now? Aren't there official split times that are broadcasted through an app live already?

Would be great to get some comments. Thanks for any feedback!
Best,
Marc

wwbroe
22nd June 2016, 11:02
Hello everyone,
as a developer of a high-end stopwatch app, I was recently asked by an apparent rally fan (WRC in particular) for a more niche spectator timing app. The app would allow the fan to measure and compare performance of cars right where he was standing during any special stage. Information would include relative performance compared to the first car (likely assuming a set start time gap of say 3 minutes) as well as averages previously observed.

I am wondering: Is this really something that spectators want? There seem to be a few (really crappy, old) apps out there with rather limited capabilities. Do spectators really measure and compare times at their location while the special stage is in progress. How do they do it right now? Aren't there official split times that are broadcasted through an app live already?

Would be great to get some comments. Thanks for any feedback!
Best,
Marc

Hello Marc,

I certainly take interval times whenever i am on a special stage to compare different driver's times. I have always done that, before it was with a simple chronograph, now i amusing an app on my smartphone (Best Timer), but it just eats my batteries so fast you can't believe it. For that reason i am not using the app frequently, i still take times with my chronograph, if i don't forget to take it with me. ;)
Would be great tough to have a decent app on the phone.

CWJ
22nd June 2016, 16:28
Actually all you need is any running watch. Depending on the starting order and your stage - km - position you will have an easy idea / survey about the stage ranking. Just push the button when the cars leave your field of sight so you can njoy live spectating before. I never did a picture, movie or split time website during my stage visits. Afterwards I get stage results by SMS service thats simply enough and mostly the same I knew from my watch ;)

Hartusvuori
22nd June 2016, 16:58
I do take splits quite often too, but like others, I keep it simple too. I have now just cheap kitchen timer (worth about 50 cents). I start it when first car passes and compare times to that. It gives an accuracy of about one second which is enough to give an idea if you follow some drivers' times. It's also handy, because I can attach it with a magnet to a chair, iPad cover, etc. I also use it for safety. When we leave stage after top crews and walk along the stage, I can see more accurately whether it'd be wise to jump to the forrest again.

In general I have nothing against using an app, but problem is as mentioned, it eats up battery. Normally you're away from electricity for half a day, so you like save the battery and use it for something more purposeful. If we'd live in a dream world, why not have an app that would position you in the stage map, use official event time and provide all necessary split time features. But for the time being I'm happy with more simple solutions.

(Once in Barum Rally organisers had a split time screen on a spectator area. That was super service. Weird how it isn't more frequently used.)

tc10a
22nd June 2016, 20:16
Most accurate split timing system is to use time-stamp on images from DSLR Cameras :)

Mk2 RS2000
22nd June 2016, 20:21
I just look at my watch and do mental arithmetic.

dimviii
22nd June 2016, 20:31
I just look at my watch and do mental arithmetic.

+1

seb_sh
23rd June 2016, 06:54
I'm usually just focused on watching so don't really think about estimating times.

Rallyper
23rd June 2016, 09:45
Estimating times on stages is easy. Just use your own watch, have a landmark just before when car goes out of sight. Watch while using own watch... :)

dimviii
23rd June 2016, 12:34
I'm usually just focused on watching so don't really think about estimating times.

you can watch while timing without loosing even a second. You havent got to watch the chronograph just to push a button.

marcb
24th June 2016, 07:43
Thanks so much for all your great and very helpful feedback! If anything more comes to mind, I'll be very glad to hear it.

My conclusion so far: Personal timing is relevant and done by at least a majority of you. An app can be somewhat relevant, yet timing is somewhat easy to do with a normal chronograph [or high-end 99c-kitchen timer ;-)] and not worth a dead smartphone battery. Post-event results may be sufficient for some.

I'll also follow up with specifics to your individual posts.

marcb
24th June 2016, 07:52
Hello Marc,

I certainly take interval times whenever i am on a special stage to compare different driver's times. I have always done that, before it was with a simple chronograph, now i amusing an app on my smartphone (Best Timer), but it just eats my batteries so fast you can't believe it. For that reason i am not using the app frequently, i still take times with my chronograph, if i don't forget to take it with me. ;)
Would be great tough to have a decent app on the phone.

Thanks for the feedback!

About the batteries: I carry a small, external, USB-charged battery with me when it's important these days. Doubles or triples the capacity. Quite nice.

I agree that it seems much more sensible to use a dedicated chronograph or wrist watch instead of a stopwatch app that doesn't add anything beyond these devices...

makinen_fan
24th June 2016, 19:46
If you can have the app to trigger a 'lap' beacon for each car with one of the volume buttons but the screen off, you can save battery and still have the functionality.

It will be good to store all the times with reference to first car but then adjust them to the fastest car, otherwise you have to do some the maths in your head otherwise!

HaCo
29th June 2016, 22:29
I made this app a few years ago: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.coopman.rallystopwatch

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D2303 met Tapatalk

HaCo
29th June 2016, 22:30
You can import driver list, stage list and alter driver delay while you're timing. Then you can share the splits over twitter for example.

marcb
3rd July 2016, 10:01
You can import driver list, stage list and alter driver delay while you're timing. Then you can share the splits over twitter for example.

Cool. Is the import from a website or systematic data provider or manual by the user?

Have you ever tried to get more feedback/users for it? (I'm still wondering whether this is something significant numbers of people would use...)

I'll definitely give it a try as soon as I come close to my Android backup phone again.

marcb
3rd July 2016, 10:02
If you can have the app to trigger a 'lap' beacon for each car with one of the volume buttons but the screen off, you can save battery and still have the functionality.

It will be good to store all the times with reference to first car but then adjust them to the fastest car, otherwise you have to do some the maths in your head otherwise!

Good thinking. That's the way I was hoping to make it work exactly.