PDA

View Full Version : Wales Rally GB 2016

Pages : [1] 2 3

tommeke_B
1st June 2016, 10:59
The itinerary is out: http://www.walesrallygb.com/news/3554.php#.V06wvueLS-t

Not as bad as last year, I think I'm going back. :)

Fast Eddie WRC
1st June 2016, 16:49
Good itinerary and selection of stages. Only disappointment for me is the lack of Service at Deeside during the days... but with the need to improve the percentage of stage miles vs liaison it was inevitable I suppose.

I've been to Cholmondley Castle several times and I think it will be a nice improvement over Chirk for the 'RallyFest'. :)

Fast Eddie WRC
1st June 2016, 16:50
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj2zxFFXEAA_1Ht.jpg:large

AndyRAC
1st June 2016, 16:51
Nothing special to be honest. MNews were hyping it up, but all we got are 2 new stages; Cholmondeley plus the return of Pantperthog.

Personally, It's become far too 'samey' - the same stages, similar layout year on year - it's needs a refresh. Sadly, unless a new sponsor turns up, it seems we're stuck.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st June 2016, 16:57
Nothing special to be honest. MNews were hyping it up, but all we got are 2 new stages; Cholmondeley plus the return of Pantperthog.

Personally, It's become far too 'samey' - the same stages, similar layout year on year - it's needs a refresh. Sadly, unless a new sponsor turns up, it seems we're stuck.

I think they are taking the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' line ...

What other stages do you think they could have used ?

Fast Eddie WRC
1st June 2016, 17:05
WRC.com

'The tests are classics but with a twist – they will be driven in the opposite direction to normal. Hafren and Sweet Lamb have not been used in this format since 1995 while Myherin has never been tackled this way. Pantperthog has not featured in the rally since 1997...'

dodge33cymru
1st June 2016, 18:33
Works for me; the biggest disappointment for me is the lack of Thursday night stages (again, but they were special in 2013 and gave added incentive to go to Shakedown) and lack of night in general. Saturday in particular is finished in the forests shortly after noon.

I think I'll do Friday and Saturday, but because of the lack of stages on Thursday and Saturday evenings I'll give Thursday and Sunday a miss again.

Loved Myherin last year and will definitely go there again, Saturday I'll decide later; thoroughly enjoyed Gartheinog a couple of years back.

Does anyone know if the Shakedown stage was announced? I'm guessing Clocaenog again, but the 2013 stage was also excellent.

Doon
1st June 2016, 19:56
Yes shakedown is in Clogaenog again.

Cholmondely might be alright as the rally fest stage, they have a 1.2 mile Sprint course, but they could do a 2.5 mile stage or longer if they do laps, which seems most likely. Plus, they do something similar to Goodwood FoS, so they are well trained at catering for large crowds of motorsport fans. There's a brilliant pub across the road; the area is generally very good for country pubs.

AndyRAC
1st June 2016, 21:07
WRC.com

'The tests are classics but with a twist – they will be driven in the opposite direction to normal. Hafren and Sweet Lamb have not been used in this format since 1995 while Myherin has never been tackled this way. Pantperthog has not featured in the rally since 1997...'

In 1994/95 Hafren was run in both directions; first run was about 9:00am and again at 4/5:00pm......

Mintexmemory
2nd June 2016, 07:40
Chink of light for the future? Chalmondley (pronounced CHUMLEE) is in ENGLAND!!!

Jack4688`
2nd June 2016, 17:27
Yeah then bring Harewood House back for 2017, then move the stages to North York Moors for 2018, then shift up to Kielder for 2019, then by 2020 they'll be up in the Cairngorms :D

driveace
2nd June 2016, 21:33
Next time I go watch the annual November Rally ,is when it comes back home as the "Rally of Great Brittain" ,and uses Yorkshire ,Keilder,the lower Highlands,and Cumbria ,As long as it's held in Wales I will stay at home

Simmi
2nd June 2016, 23:01
Next time I go watch the annual November Rally ,is when it comes back home as the "Rally of Great Brittain" ,and uses Yorkshire ,Keilder,the lower Highlands,and Cumbria ,As long as it's held in Wales I will stay at home

Even if it moves out of Wales a WRC round will never cover that much ground again.

Mintexmemory
2nd June 2016, 23:10
Even if it moves out of Wales a WRC round will never cover that much ground again.

Geographically Rally D'Italia in Sardina has covered such a spread as might include Kielder, Scots Borders and Yorkshire. Rally HQ would need to be Newcastle

AndyRAC
3rd June 2016, 08:36
Let’s be honest – the event needs a much bigger geographical spread. The sport is miles off the radar – keeping it in Wales/ or one region is not the solution.

Compare to the Tour of Britain cycle race – the organisers tryto visit as many areas as possible; even over a few years – and still there arecomplaints. But they’re selling the sport to a huge number of followers. Is RallyGB doing this? The simple answer is no.

Simmi
3rd June 2016, 09:04
Well reading the articles recently it does seem like WRC Promoter are applying pressure to move the rally into England to unlock a bigger population. If there are 13 other rounds vying for a place then that's the kind of thing that might force the MSA to look elsewhere. The biggest question is does any other region actually want to fund the rally?

I know Yorkshire were looking at international rallying with this mooted ERC round that never materialised. Ironically they ended up putting money behind cycling. Certainly the Tour of Britain covers a lot of ground but cycling as a sport is set up completely differently. It's the moving roadshow that the WRC used to be. And even the ToB has some criticism from teams for the long transfers from one stage to another.

The central WRC service park kills this ambition. Sardinia might have run a big route but they soon got told to get back in their box and will be out of the championship within a few years. We've seen WRC team bosses crying at the prospect of staying in more than one hotel room on a rally - so I think for the moment we're just dreaming if we want a sprawling Rally GB.

Jack4688`
3rd June 2016, 10:17
Somewhere in the north-east for the rally hq allowing the stages to be split between North York Moors and Kielder might work. There's the potential to reach greater popolation centres plus more than one local area council can throw their weight behind it. If no one complains you could have one day of long road sections to get to The Lake District :D

Simmi
3rd June 2016, 11:28
Any plan would need to take into account the FIA's 25 percent rule - which means a quarter of the total route has to be competitive mileage.

The liaisons in the current format are actually deemed too long by the governing body :(

Jack4688`
3rd June 2016, 13:57
I was just thinking the distance between Deeside and Hafren/Sweetlamb must be pretty far

Mintexmemory
4th June 2016, 11:22
I was just thinking the distance between Deeside and Hafren/Sweetlamb must be pretty far

Hence the remote midday service. Alghero to Simanna is a pretty long drive (done it twice before so I can say it's less than Newcastle - Penrith)

semsem
4th June 2016, 12:07
Before everyone gets carried away with dreams about returning to Kielder and North Yorkshire Moors, please get back to basics. Unless you fancy a championship full of stages with chicanes and sections in car parks, these regions are not suitable for the WRC. And with the 2017 rules almost here, they will be even less suitable in the future.

dodge33cymru
4th June 2016, 15:02
Yeah, no complaints about where it is now, if it has to be in one place. Quite what they'd achieve by moving it, I don't know.

Don't think I wouldn't love to see it as a national event again though, it's missing something at the moment but so will all events with the daft modern cookie -cutter format.

Brynmor Pierce
8th June 2016, 09:53
Morning all,

You may have heard we've brought Rally GB back to Chester city centre...the event will be the culmination of a week long festival...please visit www.thecrw.co.uk for full details..

Hope you can join us to enjoy the spectacle.

Regards
Bryn Pierce

Event Director

Fast Eddie WRC
8th June 2016, 10:41
Great to see the WRC back in Chester... brings back special memories of the RAC Rally there in my early days of following the event.

Maybe this will lead to a possible street stage held there in the future... now that would be amazing.

Simmi
8th June 2016, 10:51
Congrats on making that happen Bryn. I'm sure a lot of work went into pulling that off.

Mintexmemory
8th June 2016, 12:02
Before everyone gets carried away with dreams about returning to Kielder and North Yorkshire Moors, please get back to basics. Unless you fancy a championship full of stages with chicanes and sections in car parks, these regions are not suitable for the WRC. And with the 2017 rules almost here, they will be even less suitable in the future.

Excuse me but if Kielder isn't suitable for WRC then Finland certainly isn't. Chicanes are not absolutely necessary if the configurations of stages from the available roads are carefully thought through. My belief is much of the problem experienced on the Pirelli was to do with configuring the stages to enable ease of marshalling with the numbers available. For WRC many more marshals are usually available - the oldies who come for their once a year reminder of why they don't do it every week!

N.O.T
8th June 2016, 12:39
No need for chicanes, just employ boggey times in order to get insurance... makes some people happy since THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT !!!! JEEEEZZZZ....

christy but
4th September 2016, 18:33
hard to get accomadation this year with the weekend the rally is on..everyone has upped the prices

Simmi
5th September 2016, 07:00
hard to get accomadation this year with the weekend the rally is on..everyone has upped the prices

With a fairly stable route and the rise of sites like Booking.com I can't be the only one who is sorting accommodation around December/January time. You can cancel near enough 24 hours before you go and most places don't require you to pay anything until you arrive. No stress, no brainer.

tommeke_B
5th September 2016, 07:18
In most countries the best deals can still be found on places that aren't on booking.com. Booking.com charges around 15 to 20% to the owners, if I'm not mistaken, so a lot of people still don't want to have their business on it as long as they have enough customers. Try for example on Google Maps zooming on a certain location/area you are interested in, and type "hotel" "bed and breakfast" or anything else in the search bar. That's the way I found a lot of interesting deals for many different rallies.

cliogerbil
5th September 2016, 20:36
Hi

This year I want to go to the Rallying but have never been before

What's the best way to do if you want to see the most action? Is it best to go on all of the days or are there some days that are better than others.

Also we are from the midlands so will need to arrange places to stay. Is it best to stay in 1 place or use different B&B's etc depending on where the action is?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Mintexmemory
5th September 2016, 21:59
Thursday Shakedown , Friday and Saturday are all good - Sunday is pretty much uncompetitive and a proportion of the top guys will have retired.
B&B near the action (or within 20 miles) is definitely the way to do it.

pulsar
6th September 2016, 22:40
Hello guys, thank you for the info that you posted in this thread. I'll be going to Wales rally on Saturday and Sunday and it's my first time so i'm here to beg for help from someone that is more used to this event than me.

In your experience is it worthwhile going to the Deeside Rally village? if you go there let's say at 9 am on friday can you still see some car or are they all already gone?

In your opinion what is the best stage on Saturday and Sunday?

And also, can you choose your own spot to watch the rally (paying attention to safety of course) or are there designated areas only?

Thank you very much for any help that you may provide!

Simmi
6th September 2016, 22:58
Hello guys, thank you for the info that you posted in this thread. I'll be going to Wales rally on Saturday and Sunday and it's my first time so i'm here to beg for help from someone that is more used to this event than me.

In your experience is it worthwhile going to the Deeside Rally village? if you go there let's say at 9 am on friday can you still see some car or are they all already gone?

In your opinion what is the best stage on Saturday and Sunday?

And also, can you choose your own spot to watch the rally (paying attention to safety of course) or are there designated areas only?

Thank you very much for any help that you may provide!

Welcome to the forum.

Best place to start is the timetable - http://www.walesrallygb.com/documents/Wales_Rally_GB_2016_Route_1.4.pdf

Key is the first car due timings on the far right. So you can see for example that on Friday the cars leave early. Much better to go to service in the evening as you'll see the cars being worked on.

That said I'd always prioritize stages first - and if you can get to service it's a bonus. Regroups can actually be a lot better for getting closer to the drivers/cars.

Regarding Saturday it depends what you want to do. I'd recommend getting into the forests to see it. Dyfi or Gartheinog are your best bets as you'll see the cars twice - plus the national rally if you want to watch that. If you don't fancy trekking into the forest then you could try the Cholmondeley spectator stage I guess. For a lot of people their first taste of Rally GB was stages like that. But forests are where the real action is.

If you get to the stages early enough you can walk in and find a spot - providing the marshals will let you stand there. Be prepared for a lot of walking.

Simmi
7th September 2016, 09:08
Miki Biasion is the first driver confirmed for the Group B gathering at Cholmondeley.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th September 2016, 13:29
Miki Biasion is the first driver confirmed for the Group B gathering at Cholmondeley.

So the Group B cars are confirmed as driving the stage, not just on display ?

Simmi
7th September 2016, 13:52
So the Group B cars are confirmed as driving the stage, not just on display ?

Some will be moving, others won't but it's quite vague at the moment. More drivers expected according to this - http://www.walesrallygb.com/news/3619.php#.V9AMqvkrLIU

Looks difficult to spend a morning in the forests and then get over there in time on the Saturday. For sure all the Group B stuff will take place before the WRCs get there. Normally I'd avoid a stage like that like the plague, but I'm in a bit of an autograph hunting period at the moment.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th September 2016, 10:35
"Fans attending the Cholmondeley stage, which closes the Saturday leg at the season’s penultimate round, will enjoy the sight of more than 20 iconic Group B cars either as part of a static display or performing demonstration runs over the same roads that will host the 2016 WRC stars a few hours later." :)

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2016/biasion-wales/page/3869--12-12-.html

Brynmor Pierce
8th September 2016, 14:36
Maybe biased but i'd emplore people to come along to Chester on the Friday evening...we've lots planned including autograph sessions with the top crews, big screens, live acts etc etc..should be really good and a great atmosphere.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th September 2016, 12:15
Not a lot of Info regarding the activities in Chester, but here's the Timings info on the official itinerary:

Friday 28 Oct.
8B Chester Eastgate - In - 19:05
8C Chester Eastgate - Out - 19:25
8D Parc Fermé & Technical Zone - In - 19:45
8E Parc Fermé Out - Flexi Service - In - 19:55
8F Flexi Service Out - Parc Fermé - In 20:40
All cars must be returned to Parc Fermé no later than 23:00

Fast Eddie WRC
9th September 2016, 12:20
More on the Rally Fest re Group B cars and other action:

"Saturday's venue takes some beating, as the event heads to historic Cholmondeley Castle in Cheshire for a high-octane garden party. The action begins in the morning with the WRGB National Rally and, after a busy programme of entertainment featuring historic cars and Group B legends, culminates with the modern WRC heroes. Once they have completed their timed runs, the stars will park their cars and spend time signing autographs and posing for selfies with the fans."

Brynmor Pierce
11th September 2016, 23:01
Not a lot of Info regarding the activities in Chester, but here's the Timings info on the official itinerary:

Friday 28 Oct.
8B Chester Eastgate - In - 19:05
8C Chester Eastgate - Out - 19:25
8D Parc Fermé & Technical Zone - In - 19:45
8E Parc Fermé Out - Flexi Service - In - 19:55
8F Flexi Service Out - Parc Fermé - In 20:40
All cars must be returned to Parc Fermé no later than 23:00

Most things you need on here... www.thecrw.co.uk

Fast Eddie WRC
12th September 2016, 13:22
Most things you need on here... www.thecrw.co.uk

Cheers Bryn... going to Chester again will take me back to the old RAC days !

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/232062926467_/Lombard-RAC-Rally-Sticker-1984-Chester-Unused.jpg

Baggy
20th September 2016, 20:31
Hello

Is anyone going to Rally GB this year?

I am thinking of going to the Cholmondeley RallyFest on the Saturday but I'm not sure if this also includes a stage to see the cars rallying or just somewhere to see the cars and meet the drivers.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

dodge33cymru
20th September 2016, 22:24
There's definitely a stage there, although I think the cars only do a single run on it. However, if it's anything like the Chirk stage from the last couple of years, the stage will consist of a couple of 'laps'.

Not sure if there's a map available yet.

Jasper
20th September 2016, 22:41
http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?36841-Wales-Rally-GB-2016/page5

Fast Eddie WRC
21st September 2016, 11:49
Threat to Rally GB 2016 averted as crucial deal to use Welsh forests secured in time: https://t.co/9obWtJ5k0s #WRC https://t.co/5ewLDbIcBI

Simmi
21st September 2016, 13:28
Threat to Rally GB 2016 averted as crucial deal to use Welsh forests secured in time: https://t.co/9obWtJ5k0s #WRC https://t.co/5ewLDbIcBI

Was anyone actually thinking this would affect Rally GB? Obviously there were issues reaching a deal, but given they'd announced the route and started charging for tickets - I think I'd assumed that they'd sorted something out for the rally above and beyond this new deal?

Baggy
21st September 2016, 18:26

AndyRAC
21st September 2016, 18:57
Still a threat to rallying in the Welsh woods in general this is a separate issue really. The RACMSA were hardly likely to see one of their cash cows vanish. How everything else pans out for National rallying is something else.

They're not soft are they? They are so desperate to keep the Welsh cash rolling in; even though the event doesn't have to be based in Wales if they were a bit less cash obsessed.
The future of the sport at grassroots is of more concern - that should really have taken priority.

Rallyper
22nd September 2016, 11:04
Two threads for same topic? Moderator, please?

Mintexmemory
23rd September 2016, 13:37
Two threads for same topic? Moderator, please?
It is done - that's one of your 3 wishes gone
- A. Genie

dimviii
27th September 2016, 18:53
Hyundai Motorsport ‏@HMSGOfficial

Drivers' line up for round 12 of the #WRC season @WalesRallyGB. @thierryneuville #3, @DaniSordo #4 & @HaydenPaddon #20. #HyundaiWRC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtXfq_6WYAE2As4.jpg

Simmi
27th September 2016, 19:01
So if Abbring does do the rally (as their competition implied) then it will be in the R5 I guess.

Jamie10taylor
28th September 2016, 11:47
Hi everyone, I've purchased tickets to the wrc in Wales for the first time and would just like some advice in the best stages to get too and any other advice for the best stay while down there

Mintexmemory
28th September 2016, 12:23
Hi everyone, I've purchased tickets to the wrc in Wales for the first time and would just like some advice in the best stages to get too and any other advice for the best stay while down there
Well since you are asking about stages I presume you've bought the event Rally Pass. I wish you'd asked before buying as it really isn't worth the money! Unless you want to run the risk of negotiating traffic and only seeing the first 12 cars on most occasions it is far better on each day to select one stage on each day and see both passes - total cost £75 pp versus 99 (ok it costs a £100 if shakedown is included for 4 day's stage admission.) As it is possible to view some stages free - the pass / ticket is really a car parking charge - the 99 quid is a tad expensive. As for where to go, any forest, looking over the event to take in twisty bits, fast sections and the odd hairpin. Best if you view some old youtube footage and then ask about locations that take your fancy. Welcome to the forumm

Simmi
28th September 2016, 19:26
Ari Vatanen and Michelle Mouton added to that Group B stage.

Provisional itinerary for me looking like: Shakedown hopefully, Service, Hafren x2, Clocaenog x2, Alwen x2.

dodge33cymru
28th September 2016, 20:23
Ari Vatanen and Michelle Mouton added to that Group B stage.

Provisional itinerary for me looking like: Shakedown hopefully, Service, Hafren x2, Clocaenog x2, Alwen x2.
Not sure you're looking at 2016 mate ;)

Clocaenog and Alwen are both Sunday aren't they?

I'm thinking Myherin x2, Pantperthog x2, Aberhirnant maybe, services and home on Saturday night at the moment, but I'll change my mind a hundred times in the next few weeks probably...

Simmi
28th September 2016, 20:41
Not sure you're looking at 2016 mate ;)

Clocaenog and Alwen are both Sunday aren't they?

I'm thinking Myherin x2, Pantperthog x2, Aberhirnant maybe, services and home on Saturday night at the moment, but I'll change my mind a hundred times in the next few weeks probably...

Haha yep. Make that Gartheiniog and Alwen. Too many ogs.

Mintexmemory
29th September 2016, 12:24
My prov itinerary is
S/d / service / start
Dyfnant x2
Dyfi x2
Alwen x2 then podium

Noticed the accommodation is less available than previous years. Wonder if this is higher interest levels or competition with walkers / mountain bikers for the available berths?

mousti
29th September 2016, 12:25
Gus Greensmith with Fiesta R5

Fast Eddie WRC
29th September 2016, 16:15
Gus Greensmith with Fiesta R5

https://twitter.com/voiceofrally/status/781492243949621248

AndyRAC
29th September 2016, 17:49
My prov itinerary is
S/d / service / start
Dyfnant x2
Dyfi x2
Alwen x2 then podium

Noticed the accommodation is less available than previous years. Wonder if this is higher interest levels or competition with walkers / mountain bikers for the available berths?

Two weeks earlier - and half term time for a lot of schools.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th September 2016, 09:13
Meeke gets his wish - Citroen will enter him and Breen on Rally GB: https://t.co/MZmvkdolsB #WRC https://t.co/hEptTVusOx

Simmi
30th September 2016, 09:17
Fingers crossed Elfyn is in a WRC car but let's see what the entry list says later.

dodge33cymru
30th September 2016, 09:45
Excellent to see Citroen along for the ride. Do we know when the full list is due?

Simmi
30th September 2016, 17:35
Not a fan of this annoying trend. Press releases about entry lists that don't actually include the entry list - http://www.walesrallygb.com/news/3688.php#.V-6VrPkrLIV

Simmi
3rd October 2016, 07:45
Quentin Gilbert will enter Wales with a Citroen DS3 WRC from Abu Dhabi Racing.

https://www.facebook.com/quentin.gilbert.9/photos/a.557131510963857.129234.553254291351579/1350747344935599/?type=3

Trying to work out if this is some kind of prize drive? There was talk earlier this year about a DS3 R5 trophy but not heard anything since.

I guess if Lefebvre can't make the event then Gilbert may just slot into that car. Depends how badly Al Qassimi wants to do the rally I guess.

dupanton
3rd October 2016, 11:16
Quentin Gilbert will enter Wales with a Citroen DS3 WRC from Abu Dhabi Racing.

https://www.facebook.com/quentin.gilbert.9/photos/a.557131510963857.129234.553254291351579/1350747344935599/?type=3

Trying to work out if this is some kind of prize drive? There was talk earlier this year about a DS3 R5 trophy but not heard anything since.

I guess if Lefebvre can't make the event then Gilbert may just slot into that car. Depends how badly Al Qassimi wants to do the rally I guess.

Yes, it is a price drive. Best Citroën R5 on a selected number of rallies I guess.

BigWorm
3rd October 2016, 12:03
http://www.ewrc-results.com/startlist.php?e=27499&cat=1018

Elfyn Evans entered in a Fiesta R5?

Simmi
3rd October 2016, 12:53
http://www.ewrc-results.com/startlist.php?e=27499&cat=1018

Elfyn Evans entered in a Fiesta R5?

Our friends at eWRC have just made an assumption I think. The names are taken from this press release - http://www.walesrallygb.com/news/3688.php#.V_JGWfkrLIU

But if you read it closely they've kept it deliberately vague as to what he's driving. We know there are 64 entries but the list hasn't been released which is frustrating. I don't know this for sure, but watching how the MSA/BRC PR team has utilised Motorsport News this year there could well be some form of announcement on Wednesday.

Would be a bit of a waste to enter Elfyn in an R5. Plus from what I understand he'd have to run well down the order as he can't now be classified in WRC2. I think he'll be in a WRC.

Simmi
5th October 2016, 06:58
A bit more on Evans' entry in MN today. True to the press release he has put in his entry that he won from winning the BRC. There's nothing actually in place yet and he says there's a 'slim chance' of it happening.

The intention is to do it in a WRC car but M-Sport are short on chassis - so it depends on whether they come through Catalunya okay. Wilson says: "We need to wait until after Spain. We're really struggling for cars. I'm sure Elfyn wants to be in a World Car in Wales, but the practicalities are that it might not be possible."

Reading between the lines I think he'll pull the entry if he can't do it in a WRC.

Franky
5th October 2016, 07:19
Malcolm doesn't have enough chassis? How's that possible.

Simmi
5th October 2016, 07:30
Malcolm doesn't have enough chassis? How's that possible.

Well they aren't building any more current cars are they. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the long-haul cars will be en-route to Australia. Doesn't make business sense to have a factory full of unused chassis. I don't think it's that hard to believe.

rallyfiend
5th October 2016, 07:40
They said earlier tbis year that they basically have the two chassis and the test car to last for the main team all year - and the test car is shared for all requirements across all teams.
Henning runs an old-spec car, when he shows up.

jbmarcus21
5th October 2016, 16:51
Google Earth Map Wales Rally GB 2016 is online => http://bit.ly/2dd5Ivs

Jasper
7th October 2016, 08:55
No entry list yet?

dodge33cymru
7th October 2016, 13:16
Comes out Monday apparently

BigWorm
8th October 2016, 15:49
Henning Solberg talking to Swedish telly right now saying he's hoping to do GB, depending if a car is available

KiwiWRCfan
9th October 2016, 07:02
If MSport are short of chassis providing a car for both Henning and Elfyn will be interesting. Have to think Henning much less likely than Elfyn to appear in Wales

BigWorm
9th October 2016, 08:45
If MSport are short of chassis providing a car for both Henning and Elfyn will be interesting. Have to think Henning much less likely than Elfyn to appear in Wales

I would put my money on one of them in an R5 spec

dodge33cymru
11th October 2016, 11:04
National list came out Monday, no sign of the International one yet.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th October 2016, 12:48
Are there no other WRC Fiesta's out there than M-Sport could maybe hire for use by Evans on WRGB ??

Simmi
11th October 2016, 13:10
Are there no other WRC Fiesta's out there than M-Sport could maybe hire for use by Evans on WRGB ??

The thing with M-Sport is they aren't a charity organisation. They aren't obligated to go out of their way to help Elfyn. I wonder how much of it depends on negotiations for 2017.

rallyfiend
11th October 2016, 13:36

Of course there are - and indeed Elfyn himself could go out there and hire one for himself, if he's so desperate to compete at Rally GB!

Jasper
11th October 2016, 15:17
4 x DS in Wales?

http://www.motorsport-total.com/rallye/news/2016/10/citroen-stephane-lefebvre-kehrt-in-wales-zurueck-16100402.html

Simmi
11th October 2016, 15:33
4 x DS in Wales?

http://www.motorsport-total.com/rallye/news/2016/10/citroen-stephane-lefebvre-kehrt-in-wales-zurueck-16100402.html

Yep. Even if Stephane isn't fit (which it sounds like he is) Al Qassimi was slated to drive.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th October 2016, 16:02
The thing with M-Sport is they aren't a charity organisation. They aren't obligated to go out of their way to help Elfyn. I wonder how much of it depends on negotiations for 2017.

Fair point.

If DMack are to continue in the WRC in 2017 with Evans then maybe we should expect to see them getting him a car for WRGB...

Jasper
11th October 2016, 18:05
Nice list: http://planetemarcus.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Entrylist_GB16.pdf

Fast Eddie WRC
11th October 2016, 18:43
So Evans listed in an R5 and way down the order... :(

dodge33cymru
11th October 2016, 19:27
Very top-heavy list, weird to see Evans and Gilbert without an FIA seeding, does that mean they will be running behind the R3 Citroens on the road or can they be placed ahead of them?

RC2 has a lot of decent entries, although a bit Skoda heavy, unless Elfyn is running amongst them. Nice to see Osian Pryce will be running an R5 in WRC2 for the first time at his home event. Ahlin and two DMACK cars will be good and nice to see the Hyundai R5 tackle loose surfaces for the first time.

Really low numbers of entries in the lower class; only four R2 entries, which doesn't present much of a challenge to the two Vauxhalls.

RS
11th October 2016, 19:32
Good to see all three works Skodas on the list, but I guess they might not all start if Spain doesn't go to plan..

Mirek
11th October 2016, 20:16
Nice list: http://planetemarcus.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Entrylist_GB16.pdf

Wow, congrats to the organizers!

Andre Oliveira
11th October 2016, 20:35
Evans will have help of R5s to stole points of Suninen and Lappi

RS
11th October 2016, 21:42
Evans will have help of R5s to stole points of Suninen and Lappi

Who though? I see nobody likely to beat them on pace.

Andre Oliveira
11th October 2016, 22:46
Fuchs, Abbring, Veiby, Åhlin, Price and Bogie are my bet. Not all, but someone can make damage.

liposh
12th October 2016, 07:18
It is funny You use the "d" word ("damage" , not the another "d" word :D ) because I am looking forward to find out how big damage will cause Abbring to his car with his driving style.

Simmi
12th October 2016, 07:38
Very top-heavy list, weird to see Evans and Gilbert without an FIA seeding, does that mean they will be running behind the R3 Citroens on the road or can they be placed ahead of them?

I believe Evans doesn't have a choice unfortunately if he goes R5, having completed all his WRC2 rounds. We've seen all the contenders seeded in the 80's at one point or another this year on events. Still not sure what Evans will do. His car could be upgraded - or they could just pull the entry I guess.

Gilbert was the head-scratcher for me. Can't see why he'd be seeded down there unless there is some sort of cost-saving for PH Sport?

Anyway it's a really good list. Hopefully it holds together over the next two weeks.

Hartusvuori
12th October 2016, 08:48
Gilbert was the head-scratcher for me. Can't see why he'd be seeded down there unless there is some sort of cost-saving for PH Sport?

Simple, he's not entered for WRC2. I can count seven starts already for him too - MC, Portugal, Sardegna, Poland, Finland, Germany and Corsica.

dupanton
12th October 2016, 10:03
Simple, he's not entered for WRC2. I can count seven starts already for him too - MC, Portugal, Sardegna, Poland, Finland, Germany and Corsica.

Gilbert drives a WRC ;)

tomhlord
12th October 2016, 10:15
Really low numbers of entries in the lower class; only four R2 entries, which doesn't present much of a challenge to the two Vauxhalls.

True, but manufacturer backed R2 cars are nothing to be sniffed at.

tomhlord
12th October 2016, 10:17
Fuchs, Abbring, Veiby, Åhlin, Price and Bogie are my bet. Not all, but someone can make damage.

Tempted to add Greensmith to that list too. Maybe.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th October 2016, 10:30
TBH I dont see Evans bothering to run in an R5... he doesnt have anything to prove in that car. He needs a WRC.

Simmi
12th October 2016, 11:32

Hope I'm wrong but not sure these guys are going to be able to live with Suninen/Lappi on pace. Not at the moment anyway. At this event though with the number of WRC2 entrants you won't be able to have an issue and come back to score big points. So it will be really fascinating to watch.

Let's see what Tidemand can do too.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th October 2016, 11:44
What do Evans' WRC2 competitors need to do in the coming events to beat him to the title ?

dupanton
12th October 2016, 11:50
What do Evans' WRC2 competitors need to do in the coming events to beat him to the title ?

I posted this is the Rally France thread: ;)

WRC2: this is complicated. Evans has his 7 results and leads. Suninen and Lappi have a good chance on the title too, but also Kopecky and Tidemand have still a small (theoretical) chance:
Suninen: needs 27 points (1st+9th, 2nd+5th or 3th+4th) to pass Evans, but also needs to stay a head of Lappi.
Lappi: needs 40 points (1st+3th) to pass Evans and 11 points more then Suninen.
Kopecky: needs 2 victories and a 2nd place in the 3 remaining rallies.
Tidemand: needs 3 victories in the 3 remaining rallies.

Hartusvuori
12th October 2016, 12:18
Gilbert drives a WRC ;)

Forgot that, sorry. His number is #16, so that's propably where he'll end up seeded.

liposh
12th October 2016, 15:49
I posted this is the Rally France thread: ;)

WRC2: this is complicated. Evans has his 7 results and leads. Suninen and Lappi have a good chance on the title too, but also Kopecky and Tidemand have still a small (theoretical) chance:
Suninen: needs 27 points (1st+9th, 2nd+5th or 3th+4th) to pass Evans, but also needs to stay a head of Lappi.
Lappi: needs 40 points (1st+3th) to pass Evans and 11 points more then Suninen.
Kopecky: needs 2 victories and a 2nd place in the 3 remaining rallies.
Tidemand: needs 3 victories in the 3 remaining rallies.

I will correct You a little bit. Suninen needs 28 points plus stay ahead of Lappi, because score of 27 points with results 3rd and 4th is total 100% draw with Evans. And it means he has to be 3rd+3rd .

BTW. Is the rule to be champion 1)points. 2) number of victories 3) number of 2nd places etc. ? IMHO Yes

Lappi needs 41 points (he has to finish 1st + 2nd) and skip Suninen

dupanton
12th October 2016, 16:03
I will correct You a little bit. Suninen needs 28 points plus stay ahead of Lappi, because score of 27 points with results 3th and 4th is total 100% draw with Evans. And it means he has to be 3th+3th .

BTW. Is the rule to be champion 1)points. 2) number of victories 3) number of 2nd places etc. ? IMHO Yes

You are correct! Didn't count with equal points

pantealex
12th October 2016, 16:03
I will correct You a little bit. Suninen needs 28 points plus stay ahead of Lappi, because 27 is total 100% draw with Evans. And it means he has to be 3th+3th

Bit wrong, if Suninen will be same points with 3+4 results then they have exactly same results (25+25+25+18+15+12) = TIED
But if Suninen has same points than Evans with 1+9 or 2+5 results then he is Champion (more wins / more second places)

liposh
12th October 2016, 16:11
Yes, that is it, you are right. See guys, together we can do it :D So this pantealex´s post is the final statement ;)

Finally I would like to add: Suninen has to show really his best. It won´t be as easy as it seems. And the same for Lappi, but even much more difficult. I am really looking forward to it. Wales rally will be the best thriller.

Mintexmemory
12th October 2016, 16:23
Btw guys it's 3rd as the abbreviation for third (not thirth) place not 3th (can be mistaken as a typo for 5th or 30th).

Public service announcement by Pedantic Mod Co.
Since I'm being a complete twonk I may as well also make the following guidance:
Same AS
Different TO
More Than
Time difference is x is ahead by 2 seconds TO Y or Y is trailing by 2 seconds FROM x

liposh
12th October 2016, 16:33
Sorry, my bad. I know the rules very well. Just fingers faster than brain. In fact my English is better than that. I swear :D

dodge33cymru
13th October 2016, 20:27
Does anyone know the price of tickets on the day? They've once again pushed up the price of online purchases and no Shakedown tickets are online, so wondering how much it's going to cost me to turn up for 2 or 3 days without booking ahead.

At least they've knocked down their 'Rallyfest' tickets and the Saturday tickets seem to include that stage.

DemetriW1
14th October 2016, 11:48
Hi guys, does anyone know how to get to the section of shakedown in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCbpxTqyLl8

Thanks.

Mintexmemory
14th October 2016, 15:19
Does anyone know the price of tickets on the day? They've once again pushed up the price of online purchases and no Shakedown tickets are online, so wondering how much it's going to cost me to turn up for 2 or 3 days without booking ahead.

At least they've knocked down their 'Rallyfest' tickets and the Saturday tickets seem to include that stage.

Weeeeeellll
It's £30 per stage if you buy on the day, including shakedown, but you can get a competition day stage pass for £25 if you advance book. This makes the Rally Pass only worthwhile if you are going to go to shakedown and all 3 competition days. If on the other hand you have access to the stages without the need to use the official car parks then substantial savings are possible!
Basically the idea is to make the last minute turn up subsidise the advance booking and the day pass appears attractive despite being hard to take in more than 1 stage location per day (good luck with an attempt to get a late entry into Chalmondley).

Simmi
14th October 2016, 19:41
Hi guys, does anyone know how to get to the section of shakedown in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCbpxTqyLl8

Thanks.

From the public carpark when you hit the stage just turn left. Not much of a walk at all down to there. The safety cars had a bit of a flap last year when they realised how many people were at that corner (thanks YouTube!) and re-taped it which delayed the start slightly. But when they'd gone quite a few people started moving around. Cracking spot.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5705/22756535759_32efcb33a4_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AEVcfP)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/AEVcfP) by Richard Simpson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94998505@N03/), on Flickr

DemetriW1
14th October 2016, 21:49
That's great thanks, will definitely check it out!

EstWRC
16th October 2016, 20:25
Evans gets his chance now? The m-sport guys managed to hold their cars.

Andre Oliveira
16th October 2016, 20:57
No. Can't change cars from different categories, only inside RC2.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th October 2016, 22:56
As Evans has finished his WRC2 campaign cant he enter whatever car he likes in GB ?

EstWRC
17th October 2016, 07:23
Correct me if im wrong but i remember this season at some rally Solberg was entered with a WRC machine but later they changed it to R5 or was it vice versa?

Mirek
17th October 2016, 08:31
When the entry list is already confirmed by FIA the only way to change the class is through an exception from FIA.

WUff1
17th October 2016, 12:44
Correct me if im wrong but i remember this season at some rally Solberg was entered with a WRC machine but later they changed it to R5 or was it vice versa?

He startet with WRC and had to change to R5 because of too few WRC-cars at M-Sport.

BigWorm
17th October 2016, 13:18
Just noticed Ogier hasn't won a gravel rally this year, reckon he'll do that in GB though. Think the battle will be Ogier-Latvala porperly for the first time this year, JM loves the rally and if he keeps the car on the road he's always on the pace.

Simmi
17th October 2016, 13:38
Big couple of rallies coming up for Latvala if he wants to get his mojo back ahead of 2017. Not that it will propel him to a title or anything. He just needs to save some face. I guess he could end up with #3 on the door of his Polo next year?

Hartusvuori
17th October 2016, 14:58

In Finland he entered first in WRC, then started in R5. But admittedly, can't recall at which point this change was made, before or after entries closed.

jonoscoob
17th October 2016, 15:58
Evening all, not been around for a long time but Big_SW2000 persuaded me to pop back in....

So anyone looked at long term forcast for us on WRGB yet? Can't be as bad as last year surely.

Fast Eddie WRC
17th October 2016, 16:05
When the entry list is already confirmed by FIA the only way to change the class is through an exception from FIA.

I read that Evans R5 was 'just to get an entry in' so he had a place ( plus as BRC Champion he got free entry..)

The car type was to be dependent on what M-Sport had available.

I cant see him being denied the WRC drive if the car is there...

Toyoda
18th October 2016, 04:43
So if it rains does that count out Hyundai
After an under-steering front and a tail happy rear in slippy conditions (finland) it could be VW domination

Brynmor Pierce
18th October 2016, 10:45
Hope lots of you can join us in Chester on the 28th...we've now also got Ari Vatanen coming along to meet the crowds...

http://www.thecrw.co.uk/rally-gb-in-chester-2016

Mintexmemory
19th October 2016, 14:51
I read that Evans R5 was 'just to get an entry in' so he had a place ( plus as BRC Champion he got free entry..)

The car type was to be dependent on what M-Sport had available.

I cant see him being denied the WRC drive if the car is there...

Isn't the rule that you can change just one major component of the entry without special dispensation. Either driver, co-driver or car. Iirc Henning was in the published entry list for Finland as WRC but made the late change to R5

Simmi
19th October 2016, 16:11
Looks like Elfyn won't be there anyway as the car isn't available - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126734/evans-chance-of-2017-wrc-seat-fading

Didn't think he'd bother running down the road in an R5 after the JWRC lot.

pantealex
19th October 2016, 16:27
Looks like Elfyn won't be there anyway as the car isn't available - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126734/evans-chance-of-2017-wrc-seat-fading

Didn't think he'd bother running down the road in an R5 after the JWRC lot.

See where Loubet started in Corsica? (he was not driving for WRC2 points)
Evans can/will start in WRC2 field.
Juha Salo started in WRC2 field Rally Finland and was not driving for points.

Simmi
19th October 2016, 16:32
See where Loubet started in Corsica? (he was not driving for WRC2 points)
Evans can/will start in WRC2 field.
Juha Salo started in WRC2 field Rally Finland and was not driving for points.

Okay cool thanks I didn't realise that. I guess you can apply for dispensation to run in front of the slower cars.

car
21st October 2016, 20:32
Advice please...
I'm planning on watching for just one day: Friday 29th.
I will be driving down on the Thursday and sleeping overnight.
Do I....
A) go to Dyfnant and watch both passes through that stage?
Or
B) go to Merehin for the first pass and then onto Dyfnant to watch the second pass?

Ideally I would like to see some really high speed corners... none of this hairpin crap!

Two years ago I watched in Dyfi and I simply walked to a different spot for the second pass and witnessed a completely different part of the stage...
I'm basically wondering if anyone thinks it's worth making the additional drive, or if Dyfnant can give me the high speed thing I'm looking for (ideally at two different spots)

If it is Dyfnant only, I will be using car park G.

Cheers in advance and hope everyone going has a good one...

T

dodge33cymru
22nd October 2016, 00:41
I don't know about Dyfnant, I'm planning to spend both passes there Friday, but Myherin is a great, great stage to spectate at if you walk up to the top.

I'd happily spend all day there again, but it'd be an extra hour's drive for me in both directions, so trying Dyfnant this time.

pulsar
22nd October 2016, 17:00
guys in your experience how feasible is it to spectate at Dyfi on Saturday morning and then after the second WRC run rush to Chalmondley Castle?

thanks in advance!

car
23rd October 2016, 00:10
Anyone know where this is in Dyfnant please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5p-ZlPVflI

BigWorm
23rd October 2016, 16:26
So if it rains does that count out Hyundai
After an under-steering front and a tail happy rear in slippy conditions (finland) it could be VW domination

I thought the Hyundai are pretty happy with the car in the wet

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd October 2016, 16:42
An alternative to Jon Desbrough ?!

WALES RALLY GB: @channel5_tv will carry LIVE coverage of @WalesRallyGB Power Stage with @lorenzomatthew and @nickygrist from 11:45am 📺 #WRGB https://t.co/9SHPpf0Fwx

Mintexmemory
23rd October 2016, 19:41
Advice please...
I'm planning on watching for just one day: Friday 29th.
I will be driving down on the Thursday and sleeping overnight.
Do I....
A) go to Dyfnant and watch both passes through that stage?
Or
B) go to Merehin for the first pass and then onto Dyfnant to watch the second pass?

Ideally I would like to see some really high speed corners... none of this hairpin crap!

Two years ago I watched in Dyfi and I simply walked to a different spot for the second pass and witnessed a completely different part of the stage...
I'm basically wondering if anyone thinks it's worth making the additional drive, or if Dyfnant can give me the high speed thing I'm looking for (ideally at two different spots)

If it is Dyfnant only, I will be using car park G.

Cheers in advance and hope everyone going has a good one...

T

Dyfnant will give you both definitely and at half the cost of 1 run in myherin and 1 in Dyfnant ....and you will get to see the Nationals during the WRC interval.

Mintexmemory
23rd October 2016, 19:45
guys in your experience how feasible is it to spectate at Dyfi on Saturday morning and then after the second WRC run rush to Chalmondley Castle?

thanks in advance!

If you can only take about 30 mins to get back to your car at Dyfi and only watch the first 15 cars on the second run then it'd be doable - UNLESS the event organisers have not got the parking entry to Chalmondley properly sorted.

Doon
23rd October 2016, 20:13
It all depends on traffic going into cholmondely. I think it's possible.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2016, 10:39
I wouldnt bother with Cholmondley... very short stage with probably poor views. Not worth the journey and traffic hassle.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2016, 13:16
An idea here of the stage at the Paegeant of Power... its mostly just a blast along straights.

https://youtu.be/WcbdId7Fvn0

itix
24th October 2016, 15:52
An alternative to Jon Desbrough ?!

WALES RALLY GB: @channel5_tv will carry LIVE coverage of @WalesRallyGB Power Stage with @lorenzomatthew and @nickygrist from 11:45am �� #WRGB https://t.co/9SHPpf0Fwx

Nicky Grist has the most pleasant way to speak ever. I've always thought he'd make an excellent commentator. Shame I live in sweden and can't see this :/

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2016, 16:12
Nicky Grist has the most pleasant way to speak ever. I've always thought he'd make an excellent commentator. Shame I live in sweden and can't see this :/

I hope Grist & Lorenzo are doing the stage commentary and not just the Ch.5 programme introduction.

Here's a stream of Ch5 for people to watch.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/tv-stream/?ch=channel+5

Fast Eddie WRC
25th October 2016, 08:59
Confirmed - Evans is out. :(

Recce for #WRGB this morning. Gutted not to be doing my home rally this year, but we're now fully focused on 2017! https://t.co/I6sR85pXBV

Rally Power
25th October 2016, 17:47
Confirmed - Evans is out. :(
Recce for #WRGB this morning. Gutted not to be doing my home rally this year, but we're now fully focused on 2017! https://t.co/I6sR85pXBV

It’s a pity for Evans and for Welsh fans. It may be truth, but MSport’s lack of available units sounds a bit like an excuse. Can Evans have already a deal with other manu (Toyota?) for ’17?

Older guys for sure will remember that in ’82 Rohrl wasn’t allowed to enter RAC Rally because Opel find out he had a contract signed with Lancia for next year…

Fast Eddie WRC
25th October 2016, 18:07
It sounds like he does have something lined up.

And I'm surprised that if he does have a 2017 drive, whoever it's with cant find him a WRC car for his home event...

Allyc85
25th October 2016, 18:13
Big shame for Evans!

Anyway one day of work left before we head up to Wales on Thursday. Current stage plan is Dyfnant, Gartheniog and Alwen. Can't wait!

Fast Eddie WRC
25th October 2016, 18:43
Colin Clark tweets re Evans
Impromptu thoughts from my Kitchen Table - outrageous driver speculation (again) from me. Views please! Video here https://t.co/rdoMjhfgp4

Rally Power
25th October 2016, 22:39
Impromptu thoughts from my Kitchen Table - outrageous driver speculation (again) from me. Views please! Video here https://t.co/rdoMjhfgp4

Clark was a bit slower than us on this one...

Btw, no forecast from the forum Weatherman?

dodge33cymru
25th October 2016, 23:56
Argh, having car problems that might cause me to miss Shakedown, hopefully can sort before the weekend. Cancelled all my hotel rooms just in case, but I can sleep in the car (if it works!)...

By the way, I have two tickets to the Cholmondeley stage if anyone knows anyone who would want to make a day of it? I won them in a competition but I'll be at Dyfi or Gartheinog so no use to me.

Pity no Evans, but expected; seemingly few other withdrawals. Interesting that he's recceing with Barritt instead of Parry.

Danny0405
26th October 2016, 00:52

I'm not sure it is necessarly with Toyota, it could also be a M-Sport part-time program as Ostberg's father told Mads could only have a part-time program (especially when it Gomes to tarmac rallye).

On the other hand, I don't believe in the D-Mack team for next year because I don't see how M-sport could be able to build 5 cars (3 MSport + 2 DMack) for Monte-Carlo when we see that Citroën is not able to make 3 cars for Monte-Carlo.
I think it should have been décidée way before to create a D-Mack team for next year.

dupanton
26th October 2016, 07:06
It’s a pity for Evans and for Welsh fans. It may be truth, but MSport’s lack of available units sounds a bit like an excuse. Can Evans have already a deal with other manu (Toyota?) for ’17?

Older guys for sure will remember that in ’82 Rohrl wasn’t allowed to enter RAC Rally because Opel find out he had a contract signed with Lancia for next year…

I do think that is the most probable reason for not starting his home rally!

dodge33cymru
26th October 2016, 08:19
Anyone else worried about overcrowding on Saturday? Just realised there are only two proper 2-pass stages open to spectators on the busiest day, neither of which has amazing access.

SeanLXIV
26th October 2016, 09:57
First post on the site so be gentle with me and sorry if this has already been answered. Unfortunately some idiot (that would be me then) booked to go away on holiday on Saturday, so my only bit of (in)action will be in Colwyn Bay tomorrow evening. Does anyone know parking is like for Eirias Park? Is there anything official or just a case of find a bit of empty kerb yourself?

Brynmor Pierce
26th October 2016, 11:10
First post on the site so be gentle with me and sorry if this has already been answered. Unfortunately some idiot (that would be me then) booked to go away on holiday on Saturday, so my only bit of (in)action will be in Colwyn Bay tomorrow evening. Does anyone know parking is like for Eirias Park? Is there anything official or just a case of find a bit of empty kerb yourself?

Why don't you come to Chester on Friday night for around 18.30 hours? Much closer to you and the same opportunities as par verrucas offers ...

SeanLXIV
26th October 2016, 13:54
Why don't you come to Chester on Friday night for around 18.30 hours? Much closer to you and the same opportunities as par verrucas offers ...
I was going to but I've got a meeting to go to now on the Wirral, so it's Colwyn Bay only for me this year.

bluuford
26th October 2016, 14:35
Clark was a bit slower than us on this one...

Btw, no forecast from the forum Weatherman?

Forecast is really boring.. Sorry, I am in France, Biarritz and a bit busy with work and internet is slow as hell here :P
Anyway, here is forecast:

Thursday should be Ok weather, maybe a few raindrops here and there just before the midday but mostly sunny weather. +8..12 degrees, a bit windy, up to 6-7 m/s

Fridy should be full dry, a bit cloudy morning and almost clear afterwards, temp can rise as high as +12..+13. Early morning is cool, +8..+10. Morning is windy and afternoon becomes more quiet.

Saturday should be dry again, 10..+14 degrees, or even up to +15 (Proper GB summer :P) by afternoon, some clouds some blue skies, nearly no more wind, gets more cloudy by evening.

Sunday morning might have some very light rain. Nothing serious, mostly cloudy, +8..+12 degrees, still light wind.

So, its dusty, it will be even more dusty as the rally progresses (dry wetaher and moderate wind). High pressure area is there and there should be no surprises over the weekend:)

by the way, it is awful here, people are not drinkikg beer, all are drinking some red or white liquid.. brr.. anyonme suggest me some normal Frech beer I can by from supermarket?

;)

the sniper
26th October 2016, 15:26
It's nearly upon us now... I'm doing Shakedown (in the same spot that every attending forum member was in last year :p) then the service Park, Myherin, Dyfi and Alwen. I might end up on Dyfnant instead of Myherin if I get lazy as I'm a regular there. It was a tough choice between the two, but there are spots on Myherin that I want to see for the first time run in the opposite direction. I look forward to seeing some of you guys out there again!

dupanton
26th October 2016, 15:49
by the way, it is awful here, people are not drinkikg beer, all are drinking some red or white liquid.. brr.. anyonme suggest me some normal Frech beer I can by from supermarket?
;)

1664. Or Belgian beer of course!

eib1
26th October 2016, 15:52
by the way, it is awful here, people are not drinkikg beer, all are drinking some red or white liquid.. brr.. anyonme suggest me some normal Frech beer I can by from supermarket? ;)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e8/1b/1e/e81b1e59aa619286b27efd112e103aff.jpg

Mirek
26th October 2016, 16:02
1664. Or Belgian bear of course!

How does Belgian bear look like? I can imagine Grizzly or Russian bear but Belgian? :D

Anyway they shall have Belgian beer everywhere in France I guess.

dupanton
26th October 2016, 16:14
How does Belgian bear look like? I can imagine Grizzly or Russian bear but Belgian? :D

Anyway they shall have Belgian beer everywhere in France I guess.

Fixed it :D Lame excuse coming: tired (or is it tyred? :p ) from a day at work I guess...

bluuford
26th October 2016, 17:35
1664. Or Belgian beer of course!
Thank you.. day just ended :) Time to go shopping! Looking forward to normal liquids ;)

Rally Power
26th October 2016, 20:10
by the way, it is awful here, people are not drinkikg beer, all are drinking some red or white liquid..

There’s also Pastis, a terrible yellow liquid they drink all day long with water…

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 08:32
first shakedown pass

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvwhbbvWgAA1OK_.jpg

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 09:01
second pass

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvwnk3eWgAAU4oK.jpg

dupanton
27th October 2016, 09:03
You can follow here too:
http://www.ewrc-results.com/shake.php?e=27499&t=Dayinsure-Wales-Rally-GB-2016

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 09:06
faster here http://www.rallye-sport.fr/shakedown-wales-rally-gb-2016/

AL14
27th October 2016, 09:06
it's just SD but very nice first pass by Tanak. Are DMACK going to perform well here?
Tanak could go very well here in wales if he take it in the road.

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 09:12
poland, finland and wales were the rallies that dmack was targeting...lets see

AL14
27th October 2016, 09:27
poland, finland and wales were the rallies that dmack was targeting...lets see

I was afraid that when I asked if DMACK ever lead a rally some weeks ago, you would have put me in the ignore list. :D

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 09:33
heh...i took it down today ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 10:18
Pretty clean car after SD...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvwnQX9WIAAXyTk.jpg:large

The stages seem dry and forecast is dry... less water and mud than last year should help the fast guys like Tanak. :)

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 10:19
third and i guess final pass for everybody

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvw55BHWYAEE46m.jpg:large

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 10:21
Some doing a 4th run
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvw6MwZXEAAQQ3a.jpg:large

bluuford
27th October 2016, 10:22
it's just SD but very nice first pass by Tanak. Are DMACK going to perform well here?
Tanak could go very well here in wales if he take it in the road.

Looking the forecast, It might be good for them. I assume that Michelin is running on softs, which is good for damp sections and not as good for the dusty part. A bit softer DMack should be Ok for +10 degrees dry gravel and some muddy sections.. will see.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 10:31
Mads Ostberg with Autosport livery used by Evans here last year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvuXkViWYAAI3ZK.jpg:large

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 10:48
Abbring fastest of the WRC2 / R5 cars

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvw8zMjWYAAynEk.jpg:large

liposh
27th October 2016, 11:43

No suprise. Abbring is the fastest ...but he is also horrible driver, so his car will break down under his hands...again (like 90% of all starts from last 3 years) So he is not important enough for the classification to even mention him.

Mirek
27th October 2016, 11:54
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPGsUQAElDFG46EYTGagYIYGlE2aD-qaFgW4V_b2WWDdBiB638

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 12:11
No mid-day services here just tyre changing..

Drivers will need to be careful, have some car sympathy or be good mechanics !

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 12:41
i wouldnt mind seeing this at the end of the rally

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxSw57WEAAGXvX.jpg

OldF
27th October 2016, 13:08
Few videos from shakedown on WRC freak's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/FakeHinkelstein/media

EstWRC
27th October 2016, 13:16
longer clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JC8SlnvK9Y

MrJan
27th October 2016, 13:18

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvw8zMjWYAAynEk.jpg:large

Appreciate it's only 1 run of SD but good going for Greensmith to be ahead of Price and Bogie.

Vahula
27th October 2016, 13:38
There should be a Live Press conference at every rally on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/walesrallygb/videos/1174592605966440/
Does not cost a thing.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 14:16
More SD vids

https://youtu.be/HNhJvtS7o24

https://youtu.be/OOki-HYMUHs

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 14:25
Video:https://youtu.be/NqFleALNIlQ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxSw57WEAAGXvX.jpg

BigWorm
27th October 2016, 14:26
I never care for shakedowns and Gorban being 1s off Ogier shows why.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 14:35
Official SD vid: https://youtu.be/n-lfHwfnCTQ

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 14:36
I never care for shakedowns and Gorban being 1s off Ogier shows why.

All the drivers/teams report their SD time if it's good so it means something...

DMACK Tyres ‏@DMACK_Tyres Wales, United Kingdom
Driver, car and tyres working well this morning, @OttTanak fastest on the slippery shakedown

http://www.citroenracing.com/en/2016/news/wrc-news/77763/meeke-and-breen-in-shakedown-top-three/

BigWorm
27th October 2016, 14:56
All the drivers/teams report their SD time if it's good so it means something...

DMACK Tyres ‏@DMACK_Tyres Wales, United Kingdom
Driver, car and tyres working well this morning, @OttTanak fastest on the slippery shakedown

http://www.citroenracing.com/en/2016/news/wrc-news/77763/meeke-and-breen-in-shakedown-top-three/

But it doesn't represent how the rally will turn out to be. Totally neccesary for the drivers and teams to get a feeling, but for me as a fan I see no point in comparing the times.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 16:28
But it doesn't represent how the rally will turn out to be. Totally neccesary for the drivers and teams to get a feeling, but for me as a fan I see no point in comparing the times.

Craig Breen ‏@Craig_Breen
Shakedown :) Really nice feeling, and we are really pleased with 3rd fastest time on this tricky stage!

The drivers are interested in their times, so so am I.

And to me it also shows who is feeling confident in themselves and their car.

N.O.T
27th October 2016, 16:55
Its nice to see that rallying appeals to even the simplest and most basic folk.

Shakedown is a nice show and maybe to do some final adjustments to the car when it comes to serious competitors, drivers with no testing can use it to their benefit as well, apart from that its nothing, means nothing and will continue to be nothing.

BigWorm
27th October 2016, 17:15
Craig Breen ‏@Craig_Breen
Shakedown :) Really nice feeling, and we are really pleased with 3rd fastest time on this tricky stage!

The drivers are interested in their times, so so am I.

And to me it also shows who is feeling confident in themselves and their car.

If it works for you, great. I'm just putting my input on the shakedown.

I think the top 3 come sunday afternoon will not include any top 3 drivers from today.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 18:34
If it works for you, great. I'm just putting my input on the shakedown.

I think the top 3 come sunday afternoon will not include any top 3 drivers from today.

So you're not interested in SD, fine.. some us are.

No-one said SD results indicate the rally result.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 18:37
For those interested, Meeke was pushing hard this morning:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvykjuEXgAAfLkg.jpg:large

Young Chris Ingram also..

http://ewrc-results.com/quickp/27499_cvx2ahbxyaabvxr.jpg

BigWorm
27th October 2016, 18:43
So you're not interested in SD, fine.. some us are.

No-one said SD results indicate the rally result.

Just think it gets overhyped.

MrJan
27th October 2016, 18:48
its nothing, means nothing and will continue to be nothing.

Like one of your posts then ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 18:56
Those who dismiss SD to make themselves look cool, you're not. Nor are your insults.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 19:00
Nice SD video by local man Elwyn R ...

https://youtu.be/VF625G6K6KQ

Rally Power
27th October 2016, 19:05
Interesting that crowd control is less than on most UK Club events....

’17 is quickly arriving but spectators (and photo press members) control isn’t improving like it should be. Hope FIA will get serious on this!

dupanton
27th October 2016, 19:30
Young Chris Ingram also..

http://ewrc-results.com/quickp/27499_cvx2ahbxyaabvxr.jpg

He got hit on the roadsection towards SD (never got there) by a Frenchman driving on wrong side of the road...

N.O.T
27th October 2016, 19:32
He got hit on the roadsection towards SD (never got there) by a Frenchman driving on wrong side of the road...

Road sections are also very important , do we have any times for them ?

BigWorm
27th October 2016, 19:43
Those who dismiss SD to make themselves look cool, you're not. Nor are your insults.

Whoa, insults? I haven't insulted anyone, I've just expressed my opinion caring SD. It differs from yours, but that's why we have forums, right. People think different, otherwise we wouldn't have forums.

bassist
27th October 2016, 19:51
Nice SD video by local man Elwyn R ...

https://youtu.be/VF625G6K6KQ

Cracking Video!

dimviii
27th October 2016, 19:56
Michelin video
https://youtu.be/KE66tfM3lao

http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/fotogalery.php?events=27499&fotograf=218

dimviii
27th October 2016, 20:49
Βreen incar shakedown
https://youtu.be/7Nk846ZaJ6E

dimviii
27th October 2016, 21:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxitbnXEAABGMx.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxiuujXYAAgofY.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxivQtXYAAGTLB.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvxix6aWIAEUnj7.jpg

BigWorm
27th October 2016, 21:38
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxitbnXEAABGMx.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxiuujXYAAgofY.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvxivQtXYAAGTLB.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvxix6aWIAEUnj7.jpg

Typo on Neuville's car, unacceptable!!

Jesbass
27th October 2016, 22:32
Hi guys. Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't seem to figure out the order of drivers for tomorrow's Wales Rally GB. Does Ogier go first? Or do the lower grades go first? Do the shakedown results impact the order of things? (Etc.)

Can anyone help?

N.O.T
27th October 2016, 22:36
Hi guys. Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't seem to figure out the order of drivers for tomorrow's Wales Rally GB. Does Ogier go first? Or do the lower grades go first? Do the shakedown results impact the order of things? (Etc.)

Can anyone help?

They start Day 1 and Day two according to championship points order. On Day 3 top 15 start in reverse according to their place after day 2.

Shakedown is just for setting up the car and get a feel of the rally, nothing more.

satnav
27th October 2016, 22:52

Can anyone help?

Link to start list for tomorrow http://www.walesrallygb.com/documents/5.2_Start_List_for_Section_1_-_TCO_-_Friday_28th_October.pdf

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 22:58

Can anyone help?

Road order is a big bone of contention in the WRC, especially with Ogier who has to start first as Ch'ship leader. This means on gravel events he 'cleans' the road giving those behind an advantage.

There used to be a qualifying stage to decide the order but this was dropped a couple of years ago.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2016, 23:13
Kevin Abbring:
P1 on Shakedown WRC2 @WalesRallyGB. Unexpected on our first outing on gravel with new iNGi20R5 Can't say I didn't enjoy that !

KKS
27th October 2016, 23:24
SD times mean nothing directly but they show a way how things are going. Sordo for example... never be fast there and not fast on SD.
But very and very good time for Abbring and i20R5 at gravel, even when a title race are in progress.

In wrc2:
Suninen need at least P2 to pass Evans
If Suninen 2nd - Lappi must win here and be at least 2nd in Australia, if Suninen win here - not matter what Lappi do - Suninen wins a championship
Kopecky must win all... and GB and Australia to pass Suninen.
So three title contenders must win here, and so quick SD time for Abbring make work for championship horses more difficult.
Will be exciting:)

wia5958
27th October 2016, 23:59
Typo on Neuville's car, unacceptable!!

Where is this typo?

BigWorm
28th October 2016, 00:12
Where is this typo?

Belgian is spelled with a capital B

KKS
28th October 2016, 00:18
E-rally SD vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJb-DNC6lvA

KKS
28th October 2016, 00:49
and short clip from ukranian tv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyEhIu-aMI&feature=youtu.be

janvanvurpa
28th October 2016, 03:36

Keep your shirt on. There were no insults..

Shakedown is just shake down..no point in putting too much weight into it...Sorta like us joking in my moto-cross days...
"I'm waaaay bad. way! I won practice!"

Relax.

dimviii
28th October 2016, 06:17
Good morning guys!

Michelin Motorsport ‏@Michelin_Sport ·

#tyre info: all Michelin @OfficialWRC drivers with 5 Michelin LTX Force S5 except Mikkelsen with 6S. #WRC #WRGB

dupanton
28th October 2016, 07:23
Good morning guys!

Michelin Motorsport ‏@Michelin_Sport ·

#tyre info: all Michelin @OfficialWRC drivers with 5 Michelin LTX Force S5 except Mikkelsen with 6S. #WRC #WRGB

Interesting to see Mikkelsen taking 2 spares. Curious to see how much he will loose in the first loop and what he can gain back with fresher tyres in the second loop!

jparker
28th October 2016, 08:17
So, best times for Tanak yesterday. Is it him, or the Dmack are giving him an advantage?

dimviii
28th October 2016, 08:18
Fri 08:20 - Road conditions –
We're hearing that SS1 is pretty wet this morning and foggy, too. Should make for an interesting start...

wish to have a wonderfull rally with big fights till the end.
Ogier on stage now

René
28th October 2016, 08:29
Good morning

Do you have any splits time?

dimviii
28th October 2016, 08:30
splits working for you guys?

a bit foggy into the stage

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cv1qKgEWgAATnxe.jpg

dimviii
28th October 2016, 08:33
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cv1q5jxXYAE-S6p.jpg

dimviii
28th October 2016, 08:38
no splits from the sick dogs...

KKS
28th October 2016, 08:42
wrc+ splits works well

EightGear
28th October 2016, 08:42
Ogier a light year ahead already.

dimviii
28th October 2016, 08:43
working splits
http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com/index.php?id=392&ral=199

KKS
28th October 2016, 08:43
All talks about dry weather and we have wet SS1? O_o

Adler
28th October 2016, 08:46
Split working on wrc plus, tänak and breen promising splits

René
28th October 2016, 08:48
Breen faster than Meeke

KKS
28th October 2016, 08:49
all exepct Ogier have +/- same time. Strange... 1st on road an advantage now?

EstWRC
28th October 2016, 08:49
So, best times for Tanak yesterday. Is it him, or the Dmack are giving him an advantage?

just the tyres, he is generally really slow driver you know

René
28th October 2016, 08:50
Splits time are back on wrc.com for me

Mirek
28th October 2016, 08:53
Great start for Ogier and Breen.

satukata
28th October 2016, 08:56
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cv1q5jxXYAE-S6p.jpg

where you get your splits?

EstWRC
28th October 2016, 08:57
Really great times for Tänak, Breen and Meeke considering their starting pos.

maciotacio
28th October 2016, 08:58
Lappi already with off road excursion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cv1w81UUkAA1rWP.jpg

Mirek
28th October 2016, 08:59
Suninen so far way ahead in WRC2.

dimviii
28th October 2016, 09:00
where you get your splits?

from vw motorsport twitter I found.

BILLIOT Jérémie ‏@planetemarcus · 1m1 minute ago