PDA

View Full Version : Watch out, Toyota will stop at nothing

Lee Roy
26th April 2007, 17:11
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19067.html

Toyota spies guilty

The long-running case against former Ferrari engineers Mauro Iacconi and Angelo Santini, who were accused of stealing Ferrari secrets and giving them to Toyota, has concluded at the Tribunale di Modena with Santini condemned to nine months in prison for industrial espionage and Iacconi facing 16 months in jail for receiving the information from Santini and passing it on to Toyota. Both sentences were suspended but both men say they will appeal the decision.

The case relates back nearly five years to the start of the 2003 season, when there were suggestions that Toyota was running a copy of the Ferrari design. Santini, who worked at Ferrari from 1995 until the start of 2002, had moved to Toyota, which was planning to use a second windtunnel called Aerolab, located at Bologna Sant'Agata, just up the road from Ferrari. This employed a number of former Ferrari engineers. The construction of the new windtunnel began around the same time and was completed by January 2005. It is now being used by Spyker after Toyota built a second tunnel at its Cologne headquarters.

Ferrari suspected that aerodynamic information had been stolen from Maranello and had ended up in the hands of Toyota engineers and so filed an official complaint. Police investigations led to police raids in both Italy and Germany in 2004 and charges were then made in 2005. The case went to court a year ago.

It is possible that German investigators will pursue others who may have been involved. The Cologne public prosecution service has charged former team principal Ove Andersson, chief designer Gustav Brunner and the team's head of aerodynamics Rene Hilhorst but they have not yet been indicted as the Germans decided to wait until the Italian court cases were over.

The appeal process will slow that down still further.

All of this will be watched closely by Red Bull and Spyker as the two quibble over drawings which Spyker obtained from Red Bull Racing.

tstran17_88
26th April 2007, 18:29
And all this corporate espionage has helped Toyota in F1, how? :confused:

Nascar made it easy on Toyota by giving them the blue prints from Ford, Chevy & Dodge.

harvick#1
26th April 2007, 18:32
you can have great cars and engines, but you also need great drivers :p : something Toyota doesn't have

tstran17_88
26th April 2007, 18:36
In Nextel Cup they have none of the above, but in Craftsman Truck, they have all of the above and look at their dominance last season and this.

I'm sure Nascar wanted to avoid any sticky situations that may come up like in F1. :p :

jslone
26th April 2007, 18:40
gotta love that quality from Toyota

POS_Maggott
26th April 2007, 21:38
I've read the article, and still fail to see what this has to do with... well, anything.

Lets face it, if someone leaves a team, and goes to a team that is struggling the way Toyota has been in F1, they will bring some trade secrets in. Thats just the way racing is.

I don't understand how you've got the impression that Toyota will "stop at nothing" because of one incident.

What you're saying with that title is that it's a Toyota-only issue, and no other team/manufacturer would contemplate anything like that.

Lee Roy
27th April 2007, 18:03
I've read the article, and still fail to see what this has to do with... well, anything.

Lets face it, if someone leaves a team, and goes to a team that is struggling the way Toyota has been in F1, they will bring some trade secrets in. Thats just the way racing is.

I don't understand how you've got the impression that Toyota will "stop at nothing" because of one incident.

What you're saying with that title is that it's a Toyota-only issue, and no other team/manufacturer would contemplate anything like that.

What part of "jail sentences" don't you understand?

RaceFanStan
27th April 2007, 20:16
you can have great cars and engines, but you also need great drivers :p : something Toyota doesn't have
I disagree, I think it is the Toyota ENGINES that suck !

Dale Jarrett is a previous Cup race winner & a Winston Cup Champion !
Dale Jarrett just can't keep up with the field because his car lacks horsepower.

Michael Waltrip, Jeremy Mayfield & Brian Vickers are all previous Cup race winners.

Put any of those 4 drivers in a good Ford or Chevy multi-team car with a good crew & they will win ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

POS_Maggott
27th April 2007, 21:49
What part of "jail sentences" don't you understand?

What part of "what does this have to do with anything in NASCAR" don't you understand?

harvick#1
28th April 2007, 01:06
Dale Jarrett is a previous Cup race winner & a Winston Cup Champion !
Dale Jarrett just can't keep up with the field because his car lacks horsepower.

Michael Waltrip, Jeremy Mayfield & Brian Vickers are all previous Cup race winners.

DJ has lost a step, why is Reutimann normally not having any problem getting in while DJ and MW struggle. why cause one driver is young and exciting, while DJ thinks slow is fast

tstran17_88
28th April 2007, 01:57
Buzzie's Boy has missed a few races too and has been one of the slower Toyota's out there.

Lee Roy
28th April 2007, 04:09
What part of "what does this have to do with anything in NASCAR" don't you understand?

Oh, I understand now, you think it was NASCAR people that were getting jail sentences.

jslone
28th April 2007, 05:41

Because it involves motor sports,and it could possible,although not indicated,that Toyota could do the same in Nascar.Just something to figure out.And last is tha Toyota is in Nascar.

POS_Maggott
28th April 2007, 07:16
Oh, I understand now, you think it was NASCAR people that were getting jail sentences.

No, actually. I know exactly what the story was about.

If you noticed, it wasnt about Toyota putting "spies" in place to steal Ferrari's notes. It was two men doing it out of free will, not because the team wanted them to.

So bringing this, which has nothing to do with the actual manufacturer, into a forum for a series that *just* started running Toyota's, a decision that is under much fire from many NASCAR "purists" seems a tad suspicious.

Anyone that reads the article can see these things.

To me, it's a non-issue in the NASCAR world that you'd like to make into something bigger. It's a little dumb, and amateurish.

Lousada
28th April 2007, 09:45

Two incidents, they got banned from the World Rally Championship in 1995 because of cheating. But still, both incidents involve Toyota Team Europe, and the NASCAR operations are managed by a different team.