PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton - Is revival possible or Is a new Champion in the making

Nitrodaze
18th April 2016, 18:58
Ordinarily, l would say Hamilton has what it takes to get himself out of the jam that he is in at the moment. With Rosberg driving as well as he is, there is some mounting doubt. That said, Rosberg has won three untroubled races. The Ferrari has not had the pace to capitalize on Hamilton having a bad few races. There simply has not been any real fight at the front of the grid. Which poses a few questions?

1. When Hamilton gets his act together, can Rosberg maintain his lead?
2. When Vettel gets his act together, would this punish Rosberg when Hamilton gets his act together? Would this punish Hamilton further if he does not get his act together?
3. Would the reliability of the Ferrari have an effect on the outcome of the driver's championship?

You have to say, if the Ferrari reliability issues continues, it would be great from Rosberg's perspective. All he needs to worry about is keeping his lead to Hammy to the end of the season and hope there is more bad luck in store for the triple world champion.

If Ferrari's reliability stops and Vettel finds his form again, this could be very bad news for Rosburg. The Ferrari's could steal points from him which may give Hamilton a chance to catch up; assuming Hammy has no further bad luck of any kind and improve on his starts.

Whichever way you look at it, it is about to get very much harder for Rosberg to accumulate points with Hamilton and Vettel looking to improve on their performances in the next few races. but this is the very test for Rosberg to show he can take the pressure and competition and maintain his lead. If he can do this consistently for the rest of the season, then we would have a new world champion. If he doesn't, the championship would be wide open with up to four, possibly five drivers in the fight to take the world championship.

So realistically who is in the fight at the moment, based on the leader board at this moment, you would have to say:-

1. Rosberg [Favourite at the mo]
2. Hamilton
3. Vettel
4. Raikonen[Dark Horse]
5. Ricciado [Dark horse]

The real question is can Rosberg hold it together when the pressure comes, especially from Canada onwards when Ferrari mount their upgraded engine. From Hamilton's perspective, he also needs to make some head road into Rosberg's lead before Canada, else he may find the fight may put his chances in jeopardy.

What if the unexpected happens, Ferrari bolts on their new engine and suddenly find they are quicker than the Mercedes. A Vettel storm to victory becomes the norm of the weekends leading to Abu Dhabi, aided by a squabbling pair of Mercedes drivers and a rejuvenated Raikonen.

With 18 races to go, it would seem anything is possible at this stage. What are your thoughts about this?

steveaki13
18th April 2016, 20:42
I think this is like the thread I opened earlier. I dont think Hamilton has in out and out speed been bad. Just poor starts and getting involved in incidents has let Rosberg have 3 unchallenged races.

Hopefully Lewis can win a couple of good head to heads and make the title exciting again.

If the Ferrari's got involved at the front and the two Mercs had some wheel to wheel battles then this season would be brill as the midfield racing is brilliant so far.

Tazio
19th April 2016, 03:07
Nico is on a roll and I don't think it is likely to end soon. I'm not saying The Boss is beat, only that he has to raise his game as Nico has obviously raised his. Very costly the undercarriage damage to LH's Merc other wise he could have salvaged more points in China. The Merc boyz don't really want to be mixing it up with midfielders it takes them out of their comfort zone. Their strategy also has to consider more contingencies. Hey wait a second that is like real racing! :idea:

Nitrodaze
20th April 2016, 18:14
18 races is like the beginning of new season. I would love to see some silver and red flashes at the front at Sochi.

driveace
20th April 2016, 22:57
Well Rosberg storms off in the first 3 races and after the first few laps gets very little coverage on TV .
Have Mercedes swopped the team members from Hamilton to Rosberg for this year ,as the team looking after Hamiltons car are no better than my local garage on this years showing !
IF its a runaway with Rosberg chasing off and NO competition then we will all be switching off our TVs

Whyzars
21st April 2016, 10:36
They're in the same dominant equipment and any gremlins will go hand in hand. The next 3 races could see DNF alongside Rosberg's name and everyone hailing the comeback of Hamilton.

What is obvious is that there is a mammoth gulf between Mercedes and the rest of the field. Rosberg and Hamilton are good but they're not that good.

The gap between 1st and 10th is something like 1.5 seconds and that sees 90+ seconds by the end of a race - every single race. F1 will tolerate a couple more seasons of Mercedes dominance but no more. The only way out of the mire is to bring back the V8's but the money is committed to these stupid hybrid's so the formula will continue like this for another couple of year at least.

Given time though, F1 will always penalise success...

Bezza
21st April 2016, 10:53
I've enjoyed the three races so far this season. Much better than the first three of 2015, even though the end result has been largely the same. The reason being, the gap is definitely slightly smaller but Ferrari have not capitalized. Red Bull are closer too, and the midfield battle is intense - incredibly close between about 7 teams. Even Manor are in the mix, having outraced Renault in the Chinese GP. It means if a Mercedes slips up they are not guaranteed a win any more. The rules on three compounds of tyres has helped - it provides more varying strategy.

I can see Ferrari or Red Bull winning in the tighter races like Monaco and Hungary, I don't think Mercedes chassis is quite as good as 2015, but the engine is still clearly better.

Hamilton though, if he doesn't sort himself out soon, could start to "give up". He'll blame everything but himself but I can see his motivation waning gradually.

Nitrodaze
21st April 2016, 20:25
Well Rosberg storms off in the first 3 races and after the first few laps gets very little coverage on TV .
Have Mercedes swopped the team members from Hamilton to Rosberg for this year ,as the team looking after Hamiltons car are no better than my local garage on this years showing !
IF its a runaway with Rosberg chasing off and NO competition then we will all be switching off our TVs
Yep, Mercedes gave Hamilton's engineers to Rosberg this season for some bizarre reason.

Nitrodaze
21st April 2016, 20:29
They're in the same dominant equipment and any gremlins will go hand in hand. The next 3 races could see DNF alongside Rosberg's name and everyone hailing the comeback of Hamilton.

What is obvious is that there is a mammoth gulf between Mercedes and the rest of the field. Rosberg and Hamilton are good but they're not that good.

The gap between 1st and 10th is something like 1.5 seconds and that sees 90+ seconds by the end of a race - every single race. F1 will tolerate a couple more seasons of Mercedes dominance but no more. The only way out of the mire is to bring back the V8's but the money is committed to these stupid hybrid's so the formula will continue like this for another couple of year at least.

Given time though, F1 will always penalise success...

I would not underrate Hamilton because he is having a few bad races.He is very much as good as it gets in this era of racing

Bagwan
21st April 2016, 22:07
Yep, Mercedes gave Hamilton's engineers to Rosberg this season for some bizarre reason.

Are you guys insinuating that Nico has an advantage because of those engineers ?
Because , if you are , then aren't you saying that Lewis had that advantage until now ?

It can't be that you're saying that it's the change itself because they both changed .

Jag_Warrior
22nd April 2016, 21:01
I think that Lewis will (of course) rack up some wins this year. But I think that Rosberg now sees himself as a legit WDC contender. He has the confidence now. As with any other sport or activity, a certain portion of it comes down to confidence. After Lewis had it wrapped up last year and let Rosberg up off the mat, so that he could celebrate his WDC and play with his celebrity pals, I thought, why waste an opportunity to crush Rosberg's spirit forever?! As much as Lewis has said that he's a fan of Ayrton Senna, some of the things that Lewis does make it seem that, while a fan, his personality and approach (commitment and focus) are VERY different. Based on how he played the game, I believe that Senna would have used the end of last season to establish complete dominance over Rosberg. There can only be one king on the throne.

So far, Rosberg has not fallen prey to the jibber-jabber mind games that Lewis likes to play in the press. He's just gotten on with it this season. And he's been fairly careful not to antagonize Lewis and create a spark. He's just gotten on with the program, while Lewis let himself fall off form last season and he's been hit with several issues this season. I'll still pull for Lewis, because I don't abandon my drivers in down times. But if Rosberg takes the WDC this year, I can say that a deserving driver won it.

Nitrodaze
23rd April 2016, 00:19
Are you guys insinuating that Nico has an advantage because of those engineers ?
Because , if you are , then aren't you saying that Lewis had that advantage until now ?

It can't be that you're saying that it's the change itself because they both changed .

I am not saying that. But it is very odd that they would do that. I really cannot see any good reason for swapping the engineers and breaking the rapport that the driver has developed with his engineers. It certainly give us an opportunity to speculate so lets do that. What are the sort reasons that Merc would seek to swap the engineers on either side of the grid?

1. Driver and engineers have stopped enjoying working with each other.
2. A driver complains the other driver has the best engineers and wants them.
3. The rivalry between both side of the garage has become quite uncomfortable, such that a change was proposed to switch allegence t calm the rivary.

I am sure you can come up with other examples.

dj_bytedisaster
23rd April 2016, 04:26

They have indeed swapped parts of the crews because towards the end of last season there developed a we-against-them mentality between the two groups of mechanics and they wanted to avoid fracture within the team. I'm with you on that one. Everyone who insinuates that Lewis' bad luck is down to the mechanics, implies that that was the case for Nico before. I'm not buying it. Rosberg went into the season highly motivated by his three wins at the end of last season. There is a reason why in most sports mental coaches are being introduced. The psychological side of it shouldn't be underestimated.

airshifter
23rd April 2016, 10:37
It could be a strugge for Lewis to catch up unless Nico has some equipment issues IMO. Nico seems to have found a lot more confidence over the last year or so, and the cars still seem to favor the clean air. If Nico keeps it up with good starts, Lewis and the team have to figure out strategy to get by Nico during the race.

Combine that with the possibility that the Ferrari's are in the game more often, along with maybe even the RBs and a couple more potentially podium cars, and things could widen in the points quickly.

It will be interesting to see how the season shapes. I think Lewis is more of a type that can push fast laps when needed, but that can be both good and bad at times. Putting in those fast laps also opens him up for more chances of driver error or incidents with other cars. Nico seems to be fairly cool these days, and though maybe not as outright fast, consistent if nothing else.

I think if Nico keeps cool and keeps his head in the game, it's his season to finally take a WDC. But I'm not sure he can do that, as he does seem to get shaken up more easily when things are more even in points, or especially when Lewis is beating him on track.

dj_bytedisaster
23rd April 2016, 16:20
I am not saying that. But it is very odd that they would do that. I really cannot see any good reason for swapping the engineers and breaking the rapport that the driver has developed with his engineers. It certainly give us an opportunity to speculate so lets do that. What are the sort reasons that Merc would seek to swap the engineers on either side of the grid?

3. The rivalry between both side of the garage has become quite uncomfortable, such that a change was proposed to switch allegence t calm the rivary.

You answered your own question. There was a development of internal strife within the team and that's why they switched some engineers and mechanics - not the whole teams by the way, just a few from either side.

AndyL
25th April 2016, 11:19

The reason Mercedes gave was 3.

driveace
28th April 2016, 19:54

What the bloody hell for ? Why change a winning formula ?

driveace
28th April 2016, 19:56

Yes and Nico then gets the "Better Crew" !
Get your money back Lewis ,in those "Brown Envelopes" Thats shit !

jens
29th April 2016, 08:30

Mercedes still has a winning formula, just that it is a different driver winning now.:p:

Anyway, I would not like to blow this thing out of proportion. Hamilton is still fast, just has had some unluck and webberesque race starts. But he is bound to bounce back. At least the good thing is that we are likely to have a championship fight this year.:)

dj_bytedisaster
29th April 2016, 10:37

Because there was friction within the team. Mercedes men were keeping data from Mercedes men and the bigwigs decided to shuffle things up. However if the current WCC standings were the result of the mechnics swap, wouldn't that mean that Nico had an inferior crew for the last two seasons? I don't think so.

Garry Walker
30th April 2016, 07:09
Hamilton had some bad luck this season, but Rosberg has used his chances and driven well so far.

Tazio
30th April 2016, 13:49
Boss in a heap 'o trouble!

The Black Knight
30th April 2016, 14:02
This may be true but, even if he wins this year, it'll be due to reasons out of Hamilton's control, unless something drastically changes. Yes, he'll have beaten him but not in a straight fight over a season with Hamilton continually having failures. However he is taking his wins and I've always said I think he is good for one or two championships just unlikely with a driver like Hamilton as his teammate. But if he ever had his chance, this is it!

Tazio
30th April 2016, 17:33
We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Lewis could really use a break. Damage limitation I think!

truefan72
30th April 2016, 22:39
time for Hamilton to get his old engineering team back.

Bagwan
30th April 2016, 22:42

Sounds more like tin foil hat time to me .

Tazio
1st May 2016, 02:17
Sounds more like tin foil hat time to me .
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Lewis+Hamilton+Lewis+Hamilton+Flips+Off+Photogs+0F bWI7p1Rp_l.jpg

Sorrrry :angel:

Mia 01
1st May 2016, 07:27
Hamilton will have to use Moore Engines than four this year, a ten Place grid penalty for the fifth and so on.

dj_bytedisaster
1st May 2016, 08:19

So does that mean Rosberg had an inept engineering team last year?

TMorel
1st May 2016, 09:56
Maybe it's not ineptitude...

but neither does a couple of hiccups make a conspiracy

dj_bytedisaster
1st May 2016, 10:52
I think Lewis does have one problem that Rosberg had last year. He has to put more strain on his material. Rosberg had the better starts and could basically cruise home in engine saving mode. Last year that was usually Lewis, while Rosberg had to fight throught the field and probably had to run the engine in non-detuned mode a bit more often and consequently had more problems. Then there is also the possibility that this year's engine is a bit more on the edge, reliability-wise and Lewis' generally harder driving style might come into play.

But that's just my theory. Probably a lot more plausible than the 'he got crap mechanics' conspiracy. We shouldn't forget that those mechanics still knew how to do the job when Rosberg won the last three races last year.

The Black Knight
1st May 2016, 14:30
The whole crap mechanics theory isn't plausible and it would be paramount to Hamilton being sabotaged and Mercedes are not going to do that!

He has had bad luck, simple as that! The reason Rosberg had to weave through drivers at times last year was because he made mistakes and couldn't out qualify Hamilton. This year I don't think Hamilton has made any errors. He's even had a water pressure issue in Sochi even though he had clawed back 6 seconds on Rosberg and all the while Rosberg can cruise at front. It must be pretty unfulfilling to know you're winning just because the other guy is reliability struck. All the same, he has taken his chances well and all credit to him! 42 points isn't too bad given what had happened (assuming it's a Sochi 1-2 as I write this) and there is 17 races left. It's not the end of the world yet for Hammy!

truefan72
1st May 2016, 14:42
The whole crap mechanics theory isn't plausible and it would be paramount to Hamilton being sabotaged and Mercedes are not going to do that!

He has had bad luck, simple as that! The reason Rosberg had to weave through drivers at times last year was because he made mistakes and couldn't out qualify Hamilton. This year I don't think Hamilton has made any errors. He's even had a water pressure issue in Sochi even though he had clawed back 6 seconds on Rosberg and all the while Rosberg can cruise at front. It must be pretty unfulfilling to know you're winning just because the other guy is reliability struck. All the same, he has taken his chances well and all credit to him! 42 points isn't too bad given what had happened (assuming it's a Sochi 1-2 as I write this) and there is 17 races left. It's not the end of the world yet for Hammy!

I agree with 95% of what you are saying. but switching the crews around has had an effect IMO. and he also is suffering from stupid slow pitstops, the latest which cost him position on bottas early in his 2nd stint. I just think that they had a winning combination and finely tuned group in place and mercedes for whatever reason decided to give that crew to Rosberg. Can you imagine senna's folks being handed to Prost???
the year after they win back to back championships?

Garry Walker
1st May 2016, 14:45
I agree with 95% of what you are saying. but switching the crews around has had an effect IMO. and he also is suffering from stupid slow pitstops, the latest which cost him position on bottas early in his 2nd stint. I just think that they had a winning combination and finely tuned group in place and mercedes for whatever reason decided to give that crew to Rosberg. Can you imagine senna's folks being handed to Prost???

If I am not mistaken, the guys who change tyres are the same for both guys.

dj_bytedisaster
1st May 2016, 14:48

Mercedes thought it was neccessary, because of the 'we-against-them' attitude that developed within the team. And they didn't switch whole crews, just three people each.

truefan72
1st May 2016, 14:54
If I am not mistaken, the guys who change tyres are the same for both guys.

I know that, but that was a bit of a sidepoint. as Hamilton for some reason always seems to have slightly slower pitstops.
That is my only "conspiracy" paranoia lol. Why does nico have a 2.4sec stop to Hamilton's 3.2sec
Mercedes need to get their ish together

The good news is that this is a long season and if he has now gotten all his misery out of the way then we can see him start to claw back some of these lost points and challenge for the championship towards the end of the season.

I will say though that Hamilton does need to work on his race starts. Even this race he got off slightly slow

dj_bytedisaster
1st May 2016, 15:10
I will say though that Hamilton does need to work on his race starts. Even this race he got off slightly slow

That's the most important point. Like the RB's 2011-2013, the Merc is optimized for running upfront and struggles in traffic. Due to his bad starts Lewis was in traffic most of the times. Technical gremlins aside, that has been his biggest stumbling block so far.

The Black Knight
1st May 2016, 15:27
I know that, but that was a bit of a sidepoint. as Hamilton for some reason always seems to have slightly slower pitstops.
That is my only "conspiracy" paranoia lol. Why does nico have a 2.4sec stop to Hamilton's 3.2sec
Mercedes need to get their ish together

The good news is that this is a long season and if he has now gotten all his misery out of the way then we can see him start to claw back some of these lost points and challenge for the championship towards the end of the season.

Two DNF's for Rosberg and he could be leading the championship. It's unlikely that Rosberg will finish every race between here and the end of the year! Provided he has no more reliability issues, I am looking forward to Hamilton's fight back - it should be epic!

Zico
1st May 2016, 17:10
When I said before the start of the season that I thought that this would be Nico's year for various reasons, I honestly wasn't expecting it to pan out like it has so far, unbelievable stuff. It's little wonder that some might begin to suspect foul play by certain forces inside Merc.

Can Hamilton do it? I don't doubt his edge in speed over Rosberg, I think its definitely possible, we still have a long way to go but his luck has got to change right now and Rosberg has to have his share of misfortune for it to happen.

N4D13
1st May 2016, 17:12
Two DNF's for Rosberg and he could be leading the championship. It's unlikely that Rosberg will finish every race between here and the end of the year! Provided he has no more reliability issues, I am looking forward to Hamilton's fight back - it should be epic!
DNFs are equally likely for Rosberg and Hamilton. It's unlikely that Nico will finish every race, but the same goes for Lewis as well. If you flip a coin four times and get four heads, you still don't get a higher probability of getting tails in the next try.

Last year's Toro Rosso drivers are a perfect example of how DNFs don't have to be distributed equally. Sainz had seven DNFs, all down to car failures - Verstappen had only two such retirements, plus an accident in Monaco.

truefan72
1st May 2016, 17:51
That's the most important point. Like the RB's 2011-2013, the Merc is optimized for running upfront and struggles in traffic. Due to his bad starts Lewis was in traffic most of the times. Technical gremlins aside, that has been his biggest stumbling block so far.

that, i will agree on. and to be honest the 2 poles should have given him 2 leads in the first 2 races. we shall see if he improves

steveaki13
1st May 2016, 18:34
I honestly see retirements being even at best from here. 1 or 2 each maybe. I see no way Hamilton can claw it back.

2014 we at least saw the two Mercedes drivers race wheel to wheel. 2015 was dull as Hammy had it easy. 2016 in terms of season will be dull as Rosberg has it easy. Very poor for F1.

Only the good midfield racing will save individual races.

The Black Knight
1st May 2016, 19:01
DNFs are equally likely for Rosberg and Hamilton. It's unlikely that Nico will finish every race, but the same goes for Lewis as well. If you flip a coin four times and get four heads, you still don't get a higher probability of getting tails in the next try.

Last year's Toro Rosso drivers are a perfect example of how DNFs don't have to be distributed equally. Sainz had seven DNFs, all down to car failures - Verstappen had only two such retirements, plus an accident in Monaco.

Agreed and if that happens the it happens. I remember Michael Schumacher in 2012 where I thought he was better than Rosberg throughout the year but too many reliability issues meant he got out-pointed. The same might be about to happen here but, in general, these things tend to even out over a season, although not always. 7 wins on the throt for Hamilton and he's back in it. That's definitely within his his ability. We'll see but it's making for an interesting season!

Bagwan
1st May 2016, 23:38
He's beginning to lose it .
No champagne spray for second .
He said he was "chill" about it all before the race .
He's not .

He's upset about the engineering staff switch . He said he wasn't , but he is .

He was praised up and down for keeping it together at the last race , and rightly so .

But , he's gonna explode soon .

steveaki13
2nd May 2016, 08:00
It has been a really gutting season for him. Due to his own bad starts early on and issues since.

You could tell in his interviews after qualifying that he was massively frustrated even though he said he wasn't.

dj_bytedisaster
2nd May 2016, 11:46
It has been a really gutting season for him. Due to his own bad starts early on and issues since.

You could tell in his interviews after qualifying that he was massively frustrated even though he said he wasn't.

Aren't we talking about a luxury problem here? He hasn't had a DNF so far. He started his championship year with zero points after Melbourne 2014. We're only four races into the season with more than four times as many still to come. Forty-three points is a laughable gap in that perspective. One DNF for Nico and the deficit is cut in half.

And all that in a car which means a guaranteed podium as long as you start anywhere but the last row, and he would most likely have scored a podium in China too had Merc done the sensible thing and started from the pit lane and not called him in to change tyres every five laps.

Even if he should take an engine penalty later this year, which would mean he starts 11th, he is still virtually guaranteed 2nd place unless Kvyat fails to nerf Vettel off the track or Seb's motor accidentally forgets to detonate. Vettel 2014 - that was a bad season. Lewis this year is still comfortably in contention for the title, unlike 20 other drivers.

Garry Walker
2nd May 2016, 20:07
Vettel 2014 - that was a bad season.Unlike that, Lewis is actually not considerably slower in almost every race compared to his teammate.

Yes, he has reasons to be frustrated. But he still has 3 podiums and most of the season is still to do. So he must not become petulant and moody, instead it is time for him to concentrate on his job and do less of stupid instagram posts of him "hanging" around in certain places. A bit more "Schumacher" like attitude when it comes to dedication and work wouldn't hurt.

steveaki13
2nd May 2016, 21:19
Unlike that, Lewis is actually not considerably slower in almost every race compared to his teammate.

Yes, he has reasons to be frustrated. But he still has 3 podiums and most of the season is still to do. So he must not become petulant and moody, instead it is time for him to concentrate on his job and do less of stupid instagram posts of him "hanging" around in certain places. A bit more "Schumacher" like attitude when it comes to dedication and work wouldn't hurt.

Yes thats true Garry. good points.

Tazio
3rd May 2016, 01:32
He's beginning to lose it .
No champagne spray for second .
He said he was "chill" about it all before the race .
He's not .

He's upset about the engineering staff switch . He said he wasn't , but he is .

He was praised up and down for keeping it together at the last race , and rightly so .

But , he's gonna explode soon .
You know I really don't see The Boss popping. If Nico continues to get the better of him I think he will just play it off, record some Hip Hop, hit on some Mcbabes, and cruise his purple Zonda. I think that their will be some anecdotal comments that a provocative press try to twist into something they are not, but the Boss will remain chill IMHO.

The Black Knight
3rd May 2016, 10:53
Unlike that, Lewis is actually not considerably slower in almost every race compared to his teammate.

Exactly, and that's the big difference!

I agree with you on his work etiquette. I always get the impression with Hamilton that the only reason he ever gets beaten by his teammate is that he doesn't work hard enough at times. Even since Russia he has jetted off to New York for a night and he's just landed back in Luton now. It isn't good enough to just show up on weekends, spend 3 days with your Engineers and then say adios for the next couple of weeks until the next race. It's also what I feel might prevent Hamilton from achieving all time great status among devoted F1 fans as I do feel it affects his performance a little. I think if he worked as hard as Vettel or Rosberg does or Schumacher did, he'd be unstoppable.

Mia 01
3rd May 2016, 13:09
I see the sign, tension building up!!

http://planetf1.com/news/hamilton-stewards-are-out-to-get-me/

The Black Knight
3rd May 2016, 14:36
I see the sign, tension building up!!

http://planetf1.com/news/hamilton-stewards-are-out-to-get-me/

If only his name was Kimi...

Jag_Warrior
3rd May 2016, 17:46
he is still virtually guaranteed 2nd place unless Kvyat fails to nerf Vettel off the track or Seb's motor accidentally forgets to detonate.

:rotflmao:

The Black Knight
4th May 2016, 07:35
:rotflmao:

We'll forget about China! No second place there.

TorqueCurve
9th May 2016, 11:47
IMO... Rosberg will make history again this year.. The first driver to win the first 3 races and not win the championship. That stat is a little off as 3 races is < % of the total calendar than it normally is...

Given the length of this years season I think Hamilton will get the job done, probably with 2 races to go. I know that is a little optimistic but I think he will do it. If however he has another 2 or 3 issues, especially if they come in the next few races it might not go to plan.

Once the fezzas start applying some pressure (And I think they will) I don't think Rosberg will be able to handle it as well as Hamilton.

Bagwan
9th May 2016, 12:01
Welcome Mr. Curve .
We can always use another Hamilton fan here .

TorqueCurve
9th May 2016, 12:52
Welcome Mr. Curve .
We can always use another Hamilton fan here .

Bagwan
9th May 2016, 14:19

You're welcome , sir .

Although , I'm afraid you are missing the irony , as I've many times been accused of being far from a fan of Mr. Hamilton .

Of course it's not true , though .
I'm a big fan .
He's one of the most entertaining characters in the field .

Mia 01
11th May 2016, 09:26
On and off track, Lewis brings some nerv.

Bagwan
11th May 2016, 12:20
On and off track, Lewis brings some nerv.

Yeah , Mia , we know you to be a big Lewis fan as well !

TorqueCurve
11th May 2016, 12:30
Yeah , Mia , we know you to be a big Lewis fan as well !

:) Big Lewis fan or not, surly people cant be writing off a 3 time champion already? Rosberg is probably stronger than he has ever been, but he hasn't actually been tested yet.. I look forward to seeing that happen this year.

I really hope Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg get into a proper 3 way fight later in the season, if Kimi can find a bit of pace would be awesome for him to be involved too... Although I am starting to doubt Ferraris ability to truly match Merc this season.

Bagwan
11th May 2016, 19:03
IMO... Rosberg will make history again this year.. The first driver to win the first 3 races and not win the championship. That stat is a little off as 3 races is < % of the total calendar than it normally is...

Given the length of this years season I think Hamilton will get the job done, probably with 2 races to go. I know that is a little optimistic but I think he will do it. If however he has another 2 or 3 issues, especially if they come in the next few races it might not go to plan.

Once the fezzas start applying some pressure (And I think they will) I don't think Rosberg will be able to handle it as well as Hamilton.

Very committed , Mr. Curve .

You first say Rosberg won't win .
Then you say Hamilton might not if he has more issues .
And finally that Rosberg won't win if pressured .

Who will win ?

Mia 01
11th May 2016, 20:38
Lewis will be in a lot of trouble when Kimi finds his feets for real, the signs are ther this year.

I whish. But moore seriously, Lewis needs a win, now!!!

TorqueCurve
11th May 2016, 23:08
:-)

I believe the message to be pretty consistent... Stated that Rosberg will make history again but not in such positive light this time, I also gave some fair reasoning as to why it isn't really a comparable stat this year too.

But let me have another go at it.... All being equal (with regard reliability) I believe that Hamilton will win it, it will be superb... reliability however, is rarely equal and the racing gods are fickle beasts (Just ask Kvyat).

I have nothing against any driver on the grid, I think Rosberg has made a fantastic start to the year and if he goes on to win it then it will be very deserved. I do also think that Lewis is faster.

Nitrodaze
22nd May 2016, 10:04
I think Rosberg have a great chance of winning it this year. But it takes a calculating head to string out the number of points required to win the title in the end. Though Rosberg has shown some robustness at the first real challenge at the front, he has also shown a reckless ruthlessness which may ruin his chances.

If Rosberg can use his aggression in a measured way, knowing when not to risk throwing points away by crashing. Then l think he can pull off winning the title. It may be close at the end, but he may still have enough to win it.

Going by the Spanish GP, l have to say that there is serious doubt that Rosberg would win the title. He is fighting the battle but not realizing that winning the war is what matters. If you ask me, l would say that we do not know yet who would win the driver's title of 2016. It could be any one of the drivers in the Mercedes, Redbull and Ferrari. I say this as l suspect Rosberg would fumble it by taking unnecessary risks and losing points in the process, giving the opposition the opportunity to catchup.

For most people, it would be great to see a different driver world champion this year. Some like to see Rosberg win it, l like to see Verstapenn win it. But real great champions do not pass up seasons such as this where they know they have a real chance of winning it. Hence it would be crazy to think for a moment that Hamilton would not somehow win it, come Abu Dhabi.

N4D13
27th May 2016, 19:46
For most people, it would be great to see a different driver world champion this year. Some like to see Rosberg win it, l like to see Verstapenn win it. But real great champions do not pass up seasons such as this where they know they have a real chance of winning it. Hence it would be crazy to think for a moment that Hamilton would not somehow win it, come Abu Dhabi.
Personally, I feel it would be crazier to disregard other people's views based on your own wishful thinking. But hey, whatever floats your boat. :p

Bagwan
27th May 2016, 19:55
Wishful thinking keeps lotteries alive .
If there's one race that can be a lottery , it's Monaco .
And , if it rains , it can be anybody's win .

So , not so crazy .

Nitrodaze
29th May 2016, 18:58
Wishful thinking keeps lotteries alive .
If there's one race that can be a lottery , it's Monaco .
And , if it rains , it can be anybody's win .

So , not so crazy .

I think you are the oracle Bagwan. It rained at Monaco and now we have a gap which is less than a race win between Rosberg and Hamilton. I wonder if anyone still think it is impossible that anyone other than Rosberg would win this season's DWC. I still maintain that it is crazy to write off a 3 time world champion in the fastest car in the paddock.

driveace
29th May 2016, 22:15
And a driver who can "Race" in the wet ,blowing his team mate away in the process ,doing 33 laps on wets,and staying out long enough to take slicks Now Rosberg leading driver has choise to pit first,and Hamilton is convinced he can stay on wets till it drys enough to take slicks Whatever dj says Nico looked very mediocre today

Mia 01
30th May 2016, 03:51
Lets see !? This time the fluke was on Hammys side.

dj_bytedisaster
30th May 2016, 05:31
And a driver who can "Race" in the wet ,blowing his team mate away in the process ,doing 33 laps on wets,and staying out long enough to take slicks Now Rosberg leading driver has choise to pit first,and Hamilton is convinced he can stay on wets till it drys enough to take slicks Whatever dj says Nico looked very mediocre today

Why is it important what I say? I go with what Toto Wolff said and that was an apology for messing up Rosberg's car by taping the brake ducts, which in turn meant he never got the tyres and brakes to working temperatures. Instead of slating the drivers, we should be asking what kind tof crap Pirelli is making if the amount of air through the brake ducts may decide if the tyres work or not.

Nitrodaze
30th May 2016, 22:18
Why is it important what I say? I go with what Toto Wolff said and that was an apology for messing up Rosberg's car by taping the brake ducts, which in turn meant he never got the tyres and brakes to working temperatures. Instead of slating the drivers, we should be asking what kind tof crap Pirelli is making if the amount of air through the brake ducts may decide if the tyres work or not.
But why did they do that on one car only. Makes you wonder why they did not do it on Hamilton's car as well.

dj_bytedisaster
30th May 2016, 22:46
But why did they do that on one car only. Makes you wonder why they did not do it on Hamilton's car as well.

They did it on both cars, just not the same way. Considering that quali was in the dry as opposed to the race which started in the rain and much cooler temperatures most if not all teams will have done that to keep the brakes at temperature. In a rain-affected race all teams use tape in various places to avoid water coming into places you certainly don't want some. Do it wrong, too much or too little of taping and you mess with cooling. It was visible that during the pitstop they removed some tape from the brake ducts on Rosberg's car.

JamesF1
3rd June 2016, 13:40
I really think this season will go down to the wire. Hamiltons previous experience could be crucial towards the end of the season. 50/50 for me as it stands!

Bagwan
3rd June 2016, 13:46
I really think this season will go down to the wire. Hamiltons previous experience could be crucial towards the end of the season. 50/50 for me as it stands!

Welcome to the forum , James .

Nitrodaze
3rd June 2016, 19:17
They did it on both cars, just not the same way. Considering that quali was in the dry as opposed to the race which started in the rain and much cooler temperatures most if not all teams will have done that to keep the brakes at temperature. In a rain-affected race all teams use tape in various places to avoid water coming into places you certainly don't want some. Do it wrong, too much or too little of taping and you mess with cooling. It was visible that during the pitstop they removed some tape from the brake ducts on Rosberg's car.

I suppose, it is Rosbergs turn to think in conspiracry theory terms. You know that one; "Mercedes like Hamilton more than me".

As it goes, we potentially have a four way, possibly five way driver title fight brewing. The 2016 Driver Championship effectively started at Monaco. One thing is looking more clearer this season, Ricciado will win at least one race this year. Verstapenn is likely to win another race race this year. If the Canadian GP proves to be according to the Ferrari aspiration, Vettel and Kimi are likely to win at least one race each.

Now assuming, each of these driver's win at least one race for the remainder of the season, it would come down to Rosberg not having a DNF, ensuring that he win's at least half of the remainder of the races not won by a non Mercedes team and also ensuring that he finish at least second when Hamilton wins. But also stay ahead of Hamilton at most times a non-Mercedes team wins the race, to ensure that he protects his lead and stay ahead of the pack by the time we reach Abu Dhabi.

Hamilton on the other hand, have to at least win half the races not won by a Mercedes car, but also ensure that he finished second for all races he does not win, to be sure he can edge ahead by the time we reach Abu Dhabi.

I haven't worked out the maths, l am sure somebody would. Whichever way you look at it. Rosberg and Hamilton cannot afford to have any slip ups for the remainder of the season. Team Mercedes cannot afford to have any further operational slip ups too, it is clearer than ever that the Redbull is edging closer than ever at the moment. And Ferrari are going to bounce back at Canada l think. Which would mean that Mercedes have a tougher fight on their hands for the rest of this season. It is becoming easier to throw away the championship if they get their priorities wrong, have any operation hiccups [including car problems] or have another or a number of on track wipe outs.

Mia 01
4th June 2016, 11:45
I hope Nico will destroy hamilton

dj_bytedisaster
4th June 2016, 16:23

No he won't, because it is a competition with motor cars, not a war...

Bagwan
4th June 2016, 17:21
No he won't, because it is a competition with motor cars, not a war...

A car , in the wrong hands , can be a weapon , can't it ?

Think , "Pastor" here .

Jag_Warrior
4th June 2016, 17:48

Nico has driven very well this year and taken advantage of every opportunity, especially as Hamilton has had more than a few issues. But unless Lewis starts hitting the bottle, getting fat and hanging out with the Kartrashians, while missing Friday practice, Nico doesn't have it in him to "destroy" Lewis. He can race him head to head though. And he can win. He's proven that this year and last. But Nico is just not a dominate racer, IMO.

Koz
5th June 2016, 01:19
hanging out with the Kartrashians, while missing Friday practice

Are any of them single?
Might make a good match. They're all buddies already...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/08/25720B6600000578-2942091-image-m-16_1423355214559.jpg

henners88
5th June 2016, 08:04
Nico can beat Hamilton but as long as they are in the same car neither will be 'destroying' the other.

Destroying would be Nico winning the championship with 300+ points and Lewis barely scraping 10 points. It's not going to happen is it?

Nitrodaze
5th June 2016, 08:38
So far, Ferrari has been overrated, but there are signs that they have not demonstrated the full potential of the car. It seems they are behind on the aerodynamics front relative to Redbull and Mercedes. And the car is still fragile, hence lots of reliability issues. I wonder how much engine tokens they have left this season so far? But l hope they bounce back at the Canadian GP.

Rollo
6th June 2016, 12:07
And the car is still fragile, hence lots of reliability issues. I wonder how much engine tokens they have left this season so far? But l hope they bounce back at the Canadian GP.

The Ferraris have only had one retirement each due to reliability. Their other retirements have been caused by a wet track and by repeated damage by a mad Russian.

Nitrodaze
9th June 2016, 21:41
The Ferraris have only had one retirement each due to reliability. Their other retirements have been caused by a wet track and by repeated damage by a mad Russian.
Lovely to hear from you Rollo. And you are right, Ferrari's reliability issue was overstated. But they have been slipping. l have a feeling they would bounce back. Probably not in Canada, as the Ferrari is usually not very strong in the wet.

AndyL
13th June 2016, 12:02
I think you're right to suggest Ferrari still have reliability problems Nitrodaze. Here are the engine components used so far, including the changes made in Canada. Honda are worst off, as expected, but all the teams with a 2016 Ferrari are on their 3rd of something.

But back to the original question, it's clear the guy with the biggest engine issues is Lewis Hamilton. There's a real risk of this championship being decided by engine penalties.

dj_bytedisaster
13th June 2016, 13:54
But back to the original question, it's clear the guy with the biggest engine issues is Lewis Hamilton. There's a real risk of this championship being decided by engine penalties.

Not really. They'll do it like RB last year and take the penalties at tracks like Spa or Monza, where a Merc in Lewis's hands can win even when starting tenth.

Nitrodaze
13th June 2016, 17:42
Not really. They'll do it like RB last year and take the penalties at tracks like Spa or Monza, where a Merc in Lewis's hands can win even when starting tenth.

The prospect for Rosberg looks brighter under this circumstances. With Hamilton taking engine penalties, his chances of maintaining a lead buffer to Hamilton up to the end of the season seems possible. That, of course depends on Rosberg not having his own couple of DNFs. The Mercedes is showing signs of unforeseen reliability problems. With Massa's engine overheating problems at Canada, it seems likely that Rosberg may not escape engine problems of his own.

dj_bytedisaster
14th June 2016, 07:27
The prospect for Rosberg looks brighter under this circumstances. With Hamilton taking engine penalties, his chances of maintaining a lead buffer to Hamilton up to the end of the season seems possible. That, of course depends on Rosberg not having his own couple of DNFs. The Mercedes is showing signs of unforeseen reliability problems. With Massa's engine overheating problems at Canada, it seems likely that Rosberg may not escape engine problems of his own.

Merc will never allow Rosberg to beat Lewis in the championship. They would end up with a driver who is completely out of control. Lewis can't even cope wth being beaten in quali, if he was beaten in the championship he would go completely primate excrement, and Merc can't afford that to happen to the one employee who earns more than the CEO himself.

henners88
14th June 2016, 07:43
Merc will never allow Rosberg to beat Lewis in the championship. They would end up with a driver who is completely out of control. Lewis can't even cope wth being beaten in quali, if he was beaten in the championship he would go completely primate excrement, and Merc can't afford that to happen to the one employee who earns more than the CEO himself.
I think that's total tripe and you know it. Mercedes are not going to sabotage one driver so the other can win and Lewis has shown complete maturity in times where he's come in behind Nico.

Let's not continue the credibility nose dive.

The Black Knight
14th June 2016, 09:09
I think that's total tripe and you know it. Mercedes are not going to sabotage one driver so the other can win and Lewis has shown complete maturity in times where he's come in behind Nico.

It's a shame that some folks create these stories for themselves. Lewis has matured into a fine driver and definitely matured as a man over the last couple of years completely. It's a shame people can't appreciate him for what he is instead of laying their own baggage on him. It was the same with Schumacher. Instead of appreciating a truly great driver, people just loathed him and that was their loss. Same applies to Lewis.

dj_bytedisaster
14th June 2016, 11:49

You seem to have forgotten that he looked like someone stole his girlfriend after the Monaco GP qualifying. He is without a doubt one of the best drivers of is generation, but like Alonso he can't really reign in his emotions, and let's face it, he'd be VERY po'ed if Rosberg beat him in the championship. Merc doesn't need to sabotage Nico, giving him a team order to let his closest rival in the championship pass was more than enough to let him know that his leading the standings is a temporary anomaly.

henners88
14th June 2016, 13:41
You seem to have forgotten that he looked like someone stole his girlfriend after the Monaco GP qualifying. He is without a doubt one of the best drivers of is generation, but like Alonso he can't really reign in his emotions, and let's face it, he'd be VERY po'ed if Rosberg beat him in the championship. Merc doesn't need to sabotage Nico, giving him a team order to let his closest rival in the championship pass was more than enough to let him know that his leading the standings is a temporary anomaly.

Hamilton looked miffed but was professional in all his responses. He's human and like any driver he is able to show emotion every now and then.

Merc give team orders to both drivers when a win or points advantage is at stake. The Monaco order was more in line with giving the team maximum points than personally helping Lewis, and this worked.

jens
15th June 2016, 10:08
I'd rather ask if Rosberg revival is possible. He has had 2 subpar races in a row and quite frankly I expect Hamilton to edge him in most straight fights. I'd really like Rosberg to give a real fight against Hamilton in WDC, but I'm afraid he doesn't "have it". Still a good driver though...

Big Ben
15th June 2016, 13:37
If I were to bet I'd bet my money on Hamilton. He's just the better driver and the bigger douchebag.

The Black Knight
15th June 2016, 13:44
I'd rather ask if Rosberg revival is possible. He has had 2 subpar races in a row and quite frankly I expect Hamilton to edge him in most straight fights. I'd really like Rosberg to give a real fight against Hamilton in WDC, but I'm afraid he doesn't "have it". Still a good driver though...

I think he does "have it". I think he's amongst the best ever seen in F1 but he is unfortunate that he is up against someone of Lewis's level.

Big Ben
15th June 2016, 17:56
I think he does "have it". I think he's amongst the best ever seen in F1 but he is unfortunate that he is up against someone of Lewis's level.
How subtle :laugh:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jens
16th June 2016, 08:32
Rosberg amongst the best ever? :p: Then F1 history must be rather short - last couple of years only.

The Black Knight
16th June 2016, 15:02
Rosberg amongst the best ever? :p: Then F1 history must be rather short - last couple of years only.

I certainly rate him towards the top. I've always rated him extremely high and, in fact, when he and Hamilton became team mates I wasn't convinced that Hamilton would be able to beat him. He has done so but it's been closer between him and Hammy than it has against any other team mate Hamilton's had. And lets not forget, Rosberg is the only proven beater of the great Michael Schumacher.

Big Ben
16th June 2016, 15:14
You missed the point here. If Rosberg is one of the greatest, then Hamilton is simply the greatest greatest.

Zico
16th June 2016, 22:01
Hammy the greatestestest greatest? lol Nah, he is very good but I wouldn't go that far.
I can also think of 3 or 4 drivers on the current grid who I would take before Rosberg if looking for a No1 driver.

dj_bytedisaster
16th June 2016, 22:07
You missed the point here. If Rosberg is one of the greatest, then Hamilton is simply the greatest greatest.

How do you quantify a drivers' greatness? Are you looking for someone who's statistically the best? Then you'll have to give it to Schumacher. Need the most complete? Schumacher again. The one with the biggest raw natural speed? Probably Alonso or Verstappen. It's a pointless endeavour. I bet you anything that if Lewis was paired with someone who's crap at setting up a car, he would be down several wins as that isn't his strong suit either and hasn't been since his early karting days. There is no such thing as 'the greatest'.

Sent from my keyboard builtin keyboard using my fingers

henners88
17th June 2016, 06:40
How do you quantify a drivers' greatness? Are you looking for someone who's statistically the best? Then you'll have to give it to Schumacher. Need the most complete? Schumacher again. The one with the biggest raw natural speed? Probably Alonso or Verstappen. It's a pointless endeavour. I bet you anything that if Lewis was paired with someone who's crap at setting up a car, he would be down several wins as that isn't his strong suit either and hasn't been since his early karting days. There is no such thing as 'the greatest'.

Lewis isn't too shabby at car setup on his side of the garage. Back in 2015 it was reported Nico's side were using info from his so it's not all one way traffic.

The greatest is always a personal selection IMO.

Big Ben
17th June 2016, 10:05

I don't bother to make such assessments. I can't even say which one's the best right now, let alone of all time.

driveace
17th June 2016, 22:54
They all have their faults ,but Schumacher,was ruthless on the track pushing Barricello off the track .As is Rosberg in pushing Hamilton ,and Hamilton is learning to be just as ruthless too .
We can judge just how great or good a drivers career has been once they hang up their helmet ,and everybody has a different view .At 76 i have seen some greats racing in my lifetime .Jim Clark,Graham Hill,Phil Hill ,Richie Ginther,Jo Bonnier,Nigel Mansell,Alain Prost ,Ayrton Senna,but we all have our own favorite

Tazio
19th June 2016, 02:12
Hey Baggy your fav driver speaks out against The Boss' lifestyle during competition:

LEWIS HAMILTON'S whirlwind lifestyle is a problem for his Formula One career and will cause him to drop points this season, Felipe Massa has warned.

He is preparing for his second life after Formula One and it can be a problem for his career," Williams driver Massa, who was beaten by Hamilton to the title by a single point back in 2008, said."It can maybe take some concentration away and, on some days, it can make him lose points. He needs to think about his lifestyle. He needs to concentrate and he needs to put in the first place what is more important for him

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/othersports/2016/06/11/news/lewis-hamilton-s-lifestyle-damaging-his-driving---felipe-massa-557057/?
Felipe baby!:angel:

dj_bytedisaster
19th June 2016, 04:38
They all have their faults ,but Schumacher,was ruthless on the track pushing Barricello off the track .As is Rosberg in pushing Hamilton ,and Hamilton is learning to be just as ruthless too .

It was the other way round. Lewis started the pushing off the track business, Nico answered with little success, because if Nico does it, he's pilloried by the team, if Lewis does it, it's just racing, and 'understeer' usually.

henners88
19th June 2016, 08:03
It was the other way round. Lewis started the pushing off the track business, Nico answered with little success, because if Nico does it, he's pilloried by the team, if Lewis does it, it's just racing, and 'understeer' usually.
I think driveace is remembering Nico pushing Lewis onto the dirt before they were teammates at Bahrain. I don't remember Lewis doing it to Nico prior to that?

dj_bytedisaster
19th June 2016, 17:45
I think driveace is remembering Nico pushing Lewis onto the dirt before they were teammates at Bahrain. I don't remember Lewis doing it to Nico prior to that?

It was china 2012, actually. But under Merc's strict rules it was Lewis wqho broke them first at Bahrain 2014.

henners88
19th June 2016, 18:23
It was china 2012, actually. But under Merc's strict rules it was Lewis wqho broke them first at Bahrain 2014.
They were both pushing each other off track during that race. This sounds like tit for tat to me.

The Black Knight
20th June 2016, 20:53

You got that one wrong, mate. Nico was the one that used an incorrect engine mode in Bahrain 2014 and kicked everything off.

Mia 01
20th June 2016, 22:02
Amus rated Lewis 3 for this race. It can only be better, couldnīt it?

Nitrodaze
21st June 2016, 08:37
And lets not forget, Rosberg is the only proven beater of the great Michael Schumacher.

I don't think beating Schumacher when he was well past his prime counts. Alonso is the only driver on the grid with the true claim to such a honour. He won his two world championships beating Schumacher who was still very much in his prime at the time.

The problem with Rosberg is, he is in a great car and achieving race wins in a way that suggest that Ricciado or Peres or Bottas or Verstapenn or Hulkenburg or Sainz or Kyvat would certainly have won those races given the same Mercedes. Rosberg has yet to do something really exceptional at the front. If you were a team boss with a great car, and with a real choice of picking one of these drivers for a vacant seat in your team, which of these chaps would you pick?

That said, Hamilton is making too many mistakes at the moment. He is most likely to let the 2016 title slip out of grasp if he continues to make mistakes like Baku which only adds to the challenge of having less engines to fight Rosberg.

On paper, you have to start thinking this championship is Rosberg's to win or lose, depending on how he keeps his head down till the end of the season. The odds are in his favour, he just needs to keep doing whatever he is doing. Having clean race weekends.

Nitrodaze
5th July 2016, 17:59
I think the WDC title is for Rosberg to win or lose. I would say that Alonso would give his left nut to be in Rosberg's position right now. Alonso,Vettel, Raikonnen, Button and Hamilton would win the title from this position, given the chance. There is no reason why Rosberg cannot win it if he cuts out the red mist moments.

But can Hamilton steal it. I think Hamilton is very much under Rosberg's skin at the mo. With 11 points between them, anything is possible.

Nitrodaze
15th October 2016, 17:06
We have this question before but we have to ask it again with Rosberg ahead by 33 points, Can Hamilton see the writing on the wall?

I personally think it might be too early to call but the initiative is with Rosberg these days.

Tazio
15th October 2016, 21:22
We have this question before but we have to ask it again with Rosberg ahead by 33 points, Can Hamilton see the writing on the wall?

I personally think it might be too early to call but the initiative is with Rosberg these days. It's an interesting situation neither one of them wants to finish last in a two man (race for the) championship.
I just want to see The Boss put his head down and fight for this thing. It doesn't really matter to me what he says he can let his driving do that IMO.
Austin baby 20121101

Alonso is the only driver on the grid with the true claim to such a honour. He won his two world championships beating Schumacher who was still very much in his prime at the time.
True dat! :angel:

BigWorm
17th October 2016, 15:43
One DNF for Nico and it's wide open again. Let's wait and see.

Bagwan
18th October 2016, 16:45
Lewis is evidently still a marketing draw , as he is now set to make a cameo in the next Call of Duty issue .
His new surly and reserved persona might have something to do with the release , though , since the motion capture was only just reported , it may be some time before we see it out .
This should give him lots of time to build up the body of the character in the press .
Early reports have revealed plans for Lewis to begin speaking in a slightly more military tone , using phrasing like "taking the hill" when referring to , for example , the first turn in Austin , or "collateral damage" when referring to taking out his team-mate .
Rumors that the driver was lured to the gaming world by promise of a "really fast tank" may , however , be false , as no motion capture of Lewis seated was said to have taken place .
This has , as expected , caused rumors of the fabled "stand-up speed tank" once again , but , after the last attempt , where many , many AI characters were not actually killed when the tank treads should have ground them up , causing an unholy mess of simulated carnage , the utter embarrassment of a second try wasn't thought possible without a solid , rock star personality who could drive anything to carry it off .

That's where Lewis came in .

He will be in CoD .
That part is true .

steveaki13
19th October 2016, 08:13
Lewis appears to be in a bad place right now. On the race track and with his focus. Weird one to be honest.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Big Ben
21st October 2016, 08:35
One DNF for Nico and it's wide open again. Let's wait and see.

That's right. Let's not exaggerate how big this difference is. One DNF and not only the difference is down to 8 points but that could be quite a blow mentally for Rosberg and set a down trend for him and quite a boost for Hamilton.
The title is still up for grabs.
Let's not set the scene so we can talk about a 'miraculous' recovery :D

Big Ben
21st October 2016, 08:41
Lewis appears to be in a bad place right now. On the race track and with his focus. Weird one to be honest.

That seems to be a frequent problem for him.

N4D13
21st October 2016, 11:47
I feel inclined to remind everyone that while a DNF for Nico will throw Lewis back into the fight, a DNF for Lewis and a first or second place for Nico will just wrap up the championship for the German. Be advised that luck is a double-edged sword. :p

Firstgear
21st October 2016, 16:20
Yup, DNF's can go either way. And even though Lewis has had more mechanical problems this year than Nico, I think he is still more likely to suffer another one than his teammate. It has nothing to do with driving style or Mercedes conspiracy theories, just logic based on where they are points wise and where they need to be to win. Nico only needs to finish 2nd in remaining races. With the dominance of Mercedes this year, he can afford to 'turn down the wick' a bit, thereby improving his reliability and still finish 2nd in races. Lewis on the other hand will need to do the opposite. If he wants to 'win it all', he'll need a string of wins as well as a bit of bad luck on Nico's part. He has no choice but to turn up the wick to get ahead of Nico. The down side of this will be decreased reliability. He'll be racing with a 'Hero or Zero' mentality.

Bagwan
22nd October 2016, 13:57
Nico is not going to want to win it with a string of second place finishes .
All and sundry will see it as a weak win , for sure .
So , expect a battle , as Lewis has nothing to lose , and seems to have his head screwed on tighter now .

Nitrodaze
27th October 2016, 23:43

I would be in a very bad place given his experience with the Mercedes car this year. It has been a year where the driver title was not been properly fought for. From Hamilton's perspective, he has not really been given the car to fight for the title this year. Yea the Merc is quick, but is no good if it has points debilitating problems every other race. Frankly, Hamilton has nothing to be cheerful about.
As a fan, it has turned out to be a farce of a season frankly. Any F1 driver in retirement would win the driver's title in their current state given the reliable car of Rosberg. Montoya, Villeneuve or even Mansell would win it, if you had placed them in the car at the start of this season and given Rosbergs Reliability plus Hamilton having the problems that he has had thus far.

That is not to say Rosberg is not a deserving winner if he pulls it off. It is just that, there has been no serious wheel to wheel battle at the front for the title. The 2016 Merc has been such a disappointment from a reliability perspective, from dodgy start problems to brake issue to all sorts of engine gremlins. Which has accumulated to a very hollow season as the fastest team of the season has failed to deliver a show. Considering the competition are really not in the fight but only thereabout to snap up low hanging fruits like when the Merc have a problem or two.

As a result, l really think this is not a very important season. F1 2016 has lacked gravitas.

Nitrodaze
27th October 2016, 23:53
I feel inclined to remind everyone that while a DNF for Nico will throw Lewis back into the fight, a DNF for Lewis and a first or second place for Nico will just wrap up the championship for the German. Be advised that luck is a double-edged sword. :p

Based on what we have seen so far, a DNF for Hamilton would not surprise me, hence a DNF for Rosberg may not throw the title wide open as some may think.

Nitrodaze
17th November 2016, 16:18
It has gone to the wire alas, but it seems the die is cast with exception of the hand of God or higher power to what transpires in Abu Dhabi. Rosberg is the only one standing in his way of being the driver's champion of 2016.

The Black Knight
21st November 2016, 07:29
So should Lewis win in Abu Dhabi and Rosberg come second, it will be the first time a driver has won 10 races and not won the championship.

Looking at this fact and the reliability issues he has had, had the reliability been the same for both drivers, then we could have actually seen Lewis with one of the most dominant seasons in history only denied by reliability.

Nitrodaze
21st November 2016, 11:05
So should Lewis win in Abu Dhabi and Rosberg come second, it will be the first time a driver has won 10 races and not won the championship.

Looking at this fact and the reliability issues he has had, had the reliability been the same for both drivers, then we could have actually seen Lewis with one of the most dominant seasons in history only denied by reliability.

Quite true. the whole thing seems very fishy to me. We should analyze this season in some detail after Abu Dhabi.

AndyL
21st November 2016, 11:28

Let's not forget that Rosberg has won 9 races. It wouldn't be the first time that a driver has won the championship without winning the most races. Indeed, Lewis himself has done that.

N4D13
21st November 2016, 13:29

Never mind the fact that this is the season with the most races in F1 history - 21 Grands Prix. It would actually be surprising if the second placed driver in the championship hadn't won a significant number of races himself.

Besides, it's also quite convenient to overlook the fact that Rosberg's approach for the last few races has been rather conservative as he didn't really need to win them, so that's less competition for Hamilton. The whole "reliability took away Lewis' championship" argument is flawed - we don't know what would have happened and how both of them would have raced if, for instance, Hamilton's engine hadn't failed in Malaysia.

Starter
21st November 2016, 13:37
It doesn't make any difference how many races there are or who won how many of them. The rules at the beginning of the season were that the driver with the most points at the end of the last race wins the championship. That's how the season started and that's how it will end. Though i will admit that sometimes it's fun to play the "what if" game.

Nitrodaze
21st November 2016, 15:20
Let's not forget that Rosberg has won 9 races. It wouldn't be the first time that a driver has won the championship without winning the most races. Indeed, Lewis himself has done that.

Also quite true. But it is the circumstances around the entire season that is in question.

Nitrodaze
21st November 2016, 15:34
The whole "reliability took away Lewis' championship" argument is flawed - we don't know what would have happened and how both of them would have raced if, for instance, Hamilton's engine hadn't failed in Malaysia.
If you take Malaysia alone into consideration, without the engine failure, Hamilton would have been 2 points ahead at the end of the Brazilian GP. We would be going into Abu Dhabi with the question whether Rosberg can somehow snatch it from Hamilton.

By the way, the reliability issues were highly significant to the way things are stacked up going into Abu Dhabi. Without those reliability issues, Rosberg would not be in contention at all. It would have been a repeat of 2015.

But that was that, we look to now and what might transpire in Abu Dhabi. Rosberg is not only in contention, he is firmly in the lead. His only task is to keep it together and try to finish on the podium at Abu Dhabi. If he does that, he would be the driver's Champion of 2016.

Nobody remembers the woes of Rubens Barrichello when he lost what seemed like Ruben's first drivers title at one point in the Brawn in 2009. Ruben had all kinds of reliability issues. His car almost fell apart as one of the springs in his car dislodged, struck Massa in the head and almost wrecked Massa's career.

It is who comes out of the last grand prix of the season ahead that history remembers.

Bagwan
21st November 2016, 18:37
In a recent interview , Button suggested he might be open to bribes for taking out Rosberg , as Hamilton is a rich man , but mentioned it might have to be as he is being lapped , as they aren't in the same league in speed .
Just a joke , but the race will be somewhat like that , with both Mercs on edge , not able to finish first without first finishing .

Without a weather misread by the Bulls , Nico wouldn't have had second last race , and would have been back farther in the spray , and we know that car doesn't follow others easily .
He was lucky .

It aint over yet .

henners88
21st November 2016, 19:49
Lots of wheel banging in the last race please Mercs!! Let's have some excitement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Black Knight
23rd November 2016, 07:35
Never mind the fact that this is the season with the most races in F1 history - 21 Grands Prix. It would actually be surprising if the second placed driver in the championship hadn't won a significant number of races himself.

Besides, it's also quite convenient to overlook the fact that Rosberg's approach for the last few races has been rather conservative as he didn't really need to win them, so that's less competition for Hamilton. The whole "reliability took away Lewis' championship" argument is flawed - we don't know what would have happened and how both of them would have raced if, for instance, Hamilton's engine hadn't failed in Malaysia.

Has Rosberg mentioned anywhere that he has just been conservative for the last couple of races? He has actually publicly said quite the opposite so it sounds like this is something you just conjured up in your head.

The reliability argument isn't flawed. Even with reliability impacting many of his races this year, Lewis is still only 12 points behind. I think we can all agree that he has lost at least 30-40 points reliability wise this year so he should be champion now. Rosberg lost a whopping 3 points and gained many points from Hamilton's misfortune so the championship would be over now with Hamilton having another WDC. That's not to take anything away from Nico, he has been excellent this year but lets call it as it is and, for once, stop with this whole "You make your own luck" nonsense and things like that. Rosberg has just been that - lucky. Lucky in a way that was out of his control. He has pretty much had zero reliability issues which directly impacted the race barring Silverstone.

Sometimes luck just plays its hand. I think Rosberg will be champion and, in my opinion, he deserves a championship but he's also going to be a lucky one.

AndyL
23rd November 2016, 16:09
Has Rosberg mentioned anywhere that he has just been conservative for the last couple of races? He has actually publicly said quite the opposite so it sounds like this is something you just conjured up in your head.

To me it sounds so logical as to be almost inevitable, regardless of what Rosberg publicly claims. How many sportspeople would actually admit something like that to their opponents?

The Black Knight
23rd November 2016, 19:41
To me it sounds so logical as to be almost inevitable, regardless of what Rosberg publicly claims. How many sportspeople would actually admit something like that to their opponents?

It's all speculation in the end and I don't think many drivers ever take their foot off the gas. Driving in a way that is not normal only leave s a driver open to uncharacteristic errors. It's nothing other than speculation and, given the qualifying we saw in Brazil, with both drivers balls to the wall on their laps, there is certainly no evidence to support it. Rosberg certainly didn't look like he was peddling anywhere. This sort of foundless speculation is what shite reporters thrive on.

zako85
24th November 2016, 09:19
In a recent interview , Button suggested he might be open to bribes for taking out Rosberg , as Hamilton is a rich man

Like Button is so poor that he has to eat cup noodles every day for lunch and dinner.

Bagwan
24th November 2016, 13:48
Like Button is so poor that he has to eat cup noodles every day for lunch and dinner.

He just likes cup noodles , that's all .
You don't have to be poor to like cup noodles .

What you got against the cup noodle people , man ?

Maybe they don't have their own planes , but wow , these poor people (and I don't mean that in the monetary sense) deserve some respect , dude .

N4D13
26th November 2016, 13:27
I can't be the only person who's thought that, as no one has criticized Rosberg in this forum for being miles off his teammate's pace in Brazil (or if they did, I've missed that). For all we know, he's certainly no slouch on wet conditions, so I hope you'll concede that he was actively avoiding risks. It's very hard to imagine that he'd have driven the same way had he needed to win to keep his championship hopes alive.

Tazio
26th November 2016, 13:48
I suspect Nico is being a smarter driver than he was earlier in the season, and a bit conservative. He can afford to with that Merc.

The Black Knight
26th November 2016, 14:23
I can't be the only person who's thought that, as no one has criticized Rosberg in this forum for being miles off his teammate's pace in Brazil (or if they did, I've missed that). For all we know, he's certainly no slouch on wet conditions, so I hope you'll concede that he was actively avoiding risks. It's very hard to imagine that he'd have driven the same way had he needed to win to keep his championship hopes alive.

It just looks to me as if Hamilton is just pushing to the max and actually driving at his best. We all know that he is the better and faster driver so it's not all that surprising to see him out front as he is. In post qualifying Abu Dhabi, a very edgy looking Rosberg conceded It simply wasn't possible for him to match Hamilton's pace today.

Going on past history I fully suspect Nico to win the championship, Hamilton has lost a few WDC'a due to circumstances out of his control despite being the best driver. It wouldn't surprise me if that happened again.

Nitrodaze
26th November 2016, 16:22
That was a display of supremacy by Hamilton in Q3. He raised the bar each time he laid down a fast lap. Everyone else were just playing catch up. The cool thing about it was, each run was quite a gap from second place man Rosberg.

The Q3 time [1:38:755] was roughly 3 tenths off the fastest qualifying lap ever done on this track. That was in the pre-hybrid era by Vettel in the 2011 Redbull-Renault and was at 1:38:481.

The best chance possible for Rosberg to have a trouble free race this weekend, was to start the race on pole. He was clearly trying hard to achieve that today, but Hamilton had the legs on him all the way from Q1 to Q3.

Rosberg may have been spared the fiesty dutchman Verstapenn, but he has Ricciado on his tail who l think would not mind taking the highest podium step possible if he smells a chance. It is looking like it may turn out to be a cracking race, assuming the Ferrari and Redbull remain in the mix.

I wonder, with the constructors championship settled, would Hamilton back Rosberg into the Redbull and Ferrari and see what shakes?

Tazio
26th November 2016, 16:34
Let us not forget that Lewis would be in much better shape if he didn't have start miscues. The one in Japan really hurt him.

Bagwan
26th November 2016, 16:39
It could be that Nico is , indeed , being conservative .

But , given the zillions of different settings that one can use , and the fact that the tires are as they are , and the constantly dropping track temperature , and the preferences of each , it could just be that he hasn't got it just right for a few races .
And , Lewis has .

I suppose hearing you can win by being second in your ear every five minutes might implant the idea , but ,I doubt it .

Interesting though(or , at least , I thought so) is to see Nico a second back in Q2 .
Just how much more scrub did Lewis put into his race set of tires , going that second faster ?
Will Nico be able to see a longer stint on those skins ?
The commentators spoke constantly of how critical the out lap was to the time set , so it begs wonder if a little kinder lap in that second round might yield a bit of advantage .

The Bulls on the supers will go long in the first stint , so keeping your ultras sweet may be a key for the Mercs .

driveace
26th November 2016, 16:57
If someone takes Rosberg out or mechanical woes affect him Will MB hang Hamiton out to dry ?

Tazio
26th November 2016, 17:04
If someone takes Rosberg out or mechanical woes affect him Will MB hang Hamiton out to dry ?By MB are you referring to Mercedes Benz ?

Zico
26th November 2016, 17:27
By MB are you referring to Mercedes Benz ?

I think he means either Martin Bitmarsh or Maurizio Barrivabene...

Tazio
26th November 2016, 17:33
Here is my prediction of the race outcome:
Boss
Danny Boy
Fred
Nico

:angel:

Zico
26th November 2016, 17:38
I think the first 3 will finish how they start. :/

...but if it rains... ;)

Bagwan
26th November 2016, 18:44
Just so we'll have lots to talk about , Hamilton will inherit the lead when Nico's engine goes bang , but will be taken out when Max tries to overtake both the Honey badger and the his Merc around the outside at the final corner , making it look like Massa will win , but he's overtaken by Fernando whilst they are both beaten by Jensen up the inside , giving McLaren their first post-Dennis one-two just one race in , and Jensen , a final win .

Massa almost drowns in a mixture of tears and post-race bubbly .

Nico , having believed he'd lost the title , leaves the track and twitters the presser , helped by Lewis and his pesky cell phone , and Lewis draws goat horns on him with his "funny" app .

Massa , in third , almost drowns again , in his tears and bottle of water .