PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Bahrain GP thread

AndyL
1st April 2016, 17:43
A McLaren third in practice 2? What's going on here? OK, I know free practice doesn't mean anything, but still. Crazy town.

AndyL
2nd April 2016, 11:42
Vettel's wheel problem in P2 was a strange one. He'd been out of the pits for at least 3 laps before the wheel nut came loose.

AndyL
2nd April 2016, 13:37
KMag will start from the pit lane after missing a red light in the pit lane. Should have stopped for the weigh bridge but instead returned to the pit where the team worked on the car. Bad news for him, but Renault have not looked very competitive so far in practice so perhaps this mistake hasn't cost him too much.

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 15:42
Quali is upon us dawgz, I'm going to give this session an honest chance to entertain me, but my expectations aren't that high!

I am interested to see if Mercedes was sandbagging in P3 :dork:

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:10
Dang Renault bro sucks!
Haas is looking good in the early going! :eek:

Koz
2nd April 2016, 16:14
Anyone got a link to live timings with sector times?

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:16
Wow what's up with Perez eliminated in Q1

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:18
Anyone got a link to live timings with sector times? Sorry I'm flying blind bro!

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:22
Good job by Vandoorne, McLaren looking good!

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:24
Q2, Go Rogro baby, Go Jense! :dork: ;)

Koz
2nd April 2016, 16:31
Button out qualified by the noob.

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:32
Wow this "Q" format has got to go! So sucks!

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:33
Button out qualified by the noob.
Fred's been supporting him in a very unselfish way!

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:36
This quali format totally sucks (more to come)!

AndyL
2nd April 2016, 16:42
Any bets on how many minutes of empty track we'll watch at the end of Q3?

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:53
Boss screwed up needs to get in a popper lap!

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:54
Any bets on how many minutes of empty track we'll watch at the end of Q3?3 minutes!

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:55
Oh yeah Boss baby!!

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 16:57
3 minutes!
Nailed it!

AndyL
2nd April 2016, 17:01
Nailed it!

No there was only 1 minute of completely empty track after everyone had returned to the pits :) Last time they had all been weighed and left the back of the garages before the chequered flag. This time there was still a driver in parc ferme when the clock hit zero. On that basis I think the FIA can now declare this new qualifying format to be an unmitigated success.

The Black Knight
2nd April 2016, 17:02
What a lap from Hamilton. That was truly an amazing lap! Perfect at every apex and just knocked it out the park.

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 17:05
No there was only 1 minute of completely empty track after everyone had returned to the pits :) Last time they had all been weighed and left the back of the garages before the chequered flag. This time there was still a driver in parc ferme when the clock hit zero. On that basis I think the FIA can now declare this new qualifying format to be a complete success.
I stand corrected. :)

AndyL
2nd April 2016, 17:06
What a lap from Hamilton. That was truly an amazing lap! Perfect at every apex and just knocked it out the park.

Especially with the pressure of having made that mistake in the first attempt. He nailed it.

Tazio
2nd April 2016, 17:08
Oh yeah Boss baby!!
Boss totally nailed the pole lap. Well played by LW.

The Black Knight
2nd April 2016, 17:12
Exactly! That is what made it so good. Those are the things that separate the greats from the rest! Really what an awesome lap that was - unreal!

AndyL
2nd April 2016, 17:19
I'm looking forward to the race tomorrow. Could be a good one. There's very little between the two Mercedes and the Ferraris will surely be closer to them on race pace. If the red cars launch like they did in Australia it could be a real fight.

Duncan
2nd April 2016, 18:59
Did anybody else notice the spectator walking out on track in FP2? Some guy with a backpack walking along the edge of the runoff area on the track side of the barriers as cars were going by. I thought it was really odd that nobody seemed to comment on it.

The Black Knight
2nd April 2016, 19:29
Did anybody else notice the spectator walking out on track in FP2? Some guy with a backpack walking along the edge of the runoff area on the track side of the barriers as cars were going by. I thought it was really odd that nobody seemed to comment on it.

Yeah I did notice that alright. I found it a bit strange as well.

Stan Reid
2nd April 2016, 22:04
Two surprises-Haas looks like they might be the real deal and Manor out qualified Sauber!

Tazio
3rd April 2016, 01:43
Two surprises-Haas looks like they might be the real deal and Manor out qualified Sauber! Is it possible that they are a solid mid-fielder? :eek:
It is still way to early to tell. Getting Rogro was a brilliant move IMO!

driveace
3rd April 2016, 09:39
Hope LW gets it off the mark tomorrow quickly .
And Vettel can finish 2nd too ,but brilliant lap at the end from Hammy,and Rosbergs face told it all .Dont cry Nico,and no dirty tricks tomorrow
Could Wheilin replace Rosberg next year if he is 2nd in championship again ?

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 15:39
Race start approaching. Hi guys:)

Tazio
3rd April 2016, 15:45
'sup Steve?

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 15:52
Hi Taz.

Who is going to win? I am going for Lewis.

andyone
3rd April 2016, 15:56
Hi Taz.

Who is going to win? I am going for Lewis.

same here. but im soo worried with the take off speed of the Ferraris

Tazio
3rd April 2016, 15:59
Yes I'll go with Lewis

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:01
Seb out with a blown engine on warm up lap:(

Tazio
3rd April 2016, 16:01
wow seb out :eek:

Koz
3rd April 2016, 16:05
What happened to Lewis?

The Black Knight
3rd April 2016, 16:06
What happened to Lewis?

I have to see the restart again but looked like a clumsy Bottas collected him into turn one

gm99
3rd April 2016, 16:08
Hamilton will need to work on his starts...

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:09
Chaos....

Hamilton hit by a Williams, Palmer & Vettel out.

Chaos in the midfield

AndyL
3rd April 2016, 16:10
Aaargh, my fantasy F1 team is cursed. The 2 drivers I added for this race have both retired before it even started, and one of the others got smashed at the first corner. My only hope now is for Wehrlein to win the race :(

N4D13
3rd April 2016, 16:11
wow seb out :eek:
Ferrari broke the wrong car this time. I think they've forgotten how all reliability issues must affect Kimi and Kimi alone. :p

Tazio
3rd April 2016, 16:11
NR running away with his thing!

AndyL
3rd April 2016, 16:18
Grosjean's going to be on the podium soon.

Koz
3rd April 2016, 16:19
Haas retired???

What a shame.

N4D13
3rd April 2016, 16:19
I'm not so convinced that the move by Bottas deserved a drive-through penalty. Yes, it was clumsy but in all fairness, Lewis had left the door open and it's not unreasonable that Valtteri went for it.

gm99
3rd April 2016, 16:20
Wehrlein in P6? That guy is truly impressive!

dj_bytedisaster
3rd April 2016, 16:20
So basically you can punt off a Merc into the first corner and it will still finish second. Why are we even bothering to watch this? This is 2000-2004 all over again, although Fezza did meet resistance once in a while back in the day...

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:22
No way Bottas deserved a Pen. Both at a bit of fault and it was lap 1. You cannot apply normal rules to lap 1.

Anyway still chaos going on.

Koz
3rd April 2016, 16:22
So basically you can punt off a Merc into the first corner and it will still finish second. Why are we even bothering to watch this? This is 2000-2004 all over again, although Fezza did meet resistance once in a while back in the day...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

dj_bytedisaster
3rd April 2016, 16:30
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

That's a sound you emitted quite often between 2010 and 2013 ;)

Koz
3rd April 2016, 16:30
Grosjean fighting Williams!! :D

longisland
3rd April 2016, 16:31
OMG! HAAS passed Williams!!

Koz
3rd April 2016, 16:32
That's a sound you emitted quite often between 2010 and 2013 ;)

Probably, but I am enjoying this race. You should too.

Koz
3rd April 2016, 16:36
Grosjean cooked his tyres? Seems to be losing 0.4 per lap.

N4D13
3rd April 2016, 16:38
Grosjean cooked his tyres? Seems to be losing 0.4 per lap.
He's on his second set of supersofts. It doesn't take a lot to cook them up.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:38
Whatever tyres. That Haas is fast. 5th and catching Ricciardo.

Also we should all praise Manor. They have been at the back for years and many saying they were pointless. Now they are racing hard. Great stuff

longisland
3rd April 2016, 16:42
OMG! HAAS passed a Redbull!!

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:42
Of course pre season I predicted a Haas racing for 4th place :D

Tazio
3rd April 2016, 16:43
OMG! HAAS passed Williams!!
So far so good, Rogro is on for points!:)

AndyL
3rd April 2016, 16:43
Also we should all praise Manor. They have been at the back for years and many saying they were pointless. Now they are racing hard. Great stuff

It's like a rocket on the straight, according to KMag! :)

dj_bytedisaster
3rd April 2016, 16:44
Probably, but I am enjoying this race. You should too.

How can one enjoy this. The only one able to challenge the mercs is gone. In the Vettel days there were at least some opponents, Alonso mainly, especially in 2010 and 2012, as well as Button and Lewis in 2012.. Since 2014 it needs major disasters for Merc not to double-win. Where is the sense of achievement in that? It's completely pointless...

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:46
How can one enjoy this. The only one able to challenge the mercs is gone. In the Vettel days there were at least some opponents, Alonso mainly, especially in 2010 and 2012, as well as Button and Lewis in 2012.. Since 2014 it needs major disasters for Merc not to double-win. Where is the sense of achievement in that? It's completely pointless...

Someone needs to do a better job. Or the rules will change to stop them as always seems to happen :)

AndyL
3rd April 2016, 16:47
Has anyone found any live timing that actually works? The official one has lap times but no gaps, and I've found a couple of others with gaps but, but slow updates and no lap times.

Koz
3rd April 2016, 16:48
Very slow stop for grosjean.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:50
That said I do find the front of F1 boring at the moment. I mean not even half way and Rosberg has it won and Kimi & Lewis are likely to finish where they are.

Fun behind though.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:51
Hammy has pitted for super softs.

longisland
HAAS passed Williams again!! Third time's a charm?

steveaki13
Now Kimi too.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 16:55
Sauber on the verge of folding according commentators. :( I hope thats not true

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 16:56
What a Haas?
Incredible this team

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 16:59
The Williams are just so disappointing. Clearly not the 3rd best team by the last two races. Redbull has been a real surprise. The engine they spent the last year denigrating is paying dividends at the mo, wouldn't you say.

dj_bytedisaster
3rd April 2016, 17:01
Vandoorne and RoGro are putting in epic drives. The two of them are really the saving grace of this race

steveaki13
Force India look poor here. Sauber going past them.

longisland
Nice team work from Williams. They neutralized Vandorn effectively.

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:02
What a great run for the Mclaren. It is great to Stoffel in action. What a great drive by the rookie. In the top ten at the mo.

dj_bytedisaster
Sauber on the verge of folding according commentators. :( I hope thats not true

Good riddance. After the shit that Kaltenborn pulled at Melbourne last year, I have no sympathy left for them.

steveaki13
I would say Wehrlein is doing a great job too

Nitrodaze
With 2 race win in the cards for Rosberg, can we begin to say that 2016 might be a Rosberg year?

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 17:04
and Kimi actually. Closing on Rosberg and pulling away from Hamilton.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 17:04
With 2 race win in the cards for Rosberg, can we begin to say that 2016 might be a Rosberg year?

I think he has a great chance now. Having won the first two races

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:06
Great to see the Manor going so well. Wehrlein is clearly a talent and really makes the Manor shine

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 17:10
Kimi bit by bit hunting down Rosberg.

Hamilton well and truely nailed to 3rd today.

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:11
I think he has a great chance now. Having won the first two races
This season is different from 2014 where Hamilton was behind due to DNFs. This time, Rosberg just aced the starts better and Hamilton drifts to 7th due to bad starts. The advantage is clearly with Rosberg. Not due to raw pace but better race day performance.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 17:13
Cant quite see what Mercedes or Lewis have done to challenge Kimi.

Hamilton now closer to the Red Bulls than Raikkonen. Strange strategy

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:17
Kimi bit by bit hunting down Rosberg.

Hamilton well and truely nailed to 3rd today.

That was a weird strategy for Hammy. It cost him time and chance for 2nd.

longisland
3rd April 2016, 17:20
Oh Lord! HAAS pass the Williams on the outside!!

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 17:21
RoGro and Haas in 5th.... :eek:

Awesome :p

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:30
Hamilton one sec slower than Kimi due to body work damage

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:31
Vandoone with a chance of one point.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 17:31
Wehrlein coming to pass some people late on. Good stuff from Manor. Haryanto not quite on the same level.

N4D13
3rd April 2016, 17:37
Let's just not overblow Rosberg's WDC chances, shall we? This is only two races out of twenty and he's only 17 points in front of Lewis. One engine failure or an accident and he'll be 8 points behind him instead. Besides, in both races Lewis has been slightly faster in qualifying and has just been hampered by poor starts, which he will solve sooner rather than later.

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:39
Wow, A mclaren in the top ten. Vandoone is looking like a great hope for Mclaren in the near future. What a racer!

AndyL
3rd April 2016, 17:42
Wow, A mclaren in the top ten. Vandoone is looking like a great hope for Mclaren in the near future. What a racer!

He did well, but how well is hard to determine with no team-mate to compare against for most of the race. He was lapping slower than Button before Button's retirement.

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:43
Let's just not overblow Rosberg's WDC chances, shall we? This is only two races out of twenty and he's only 17 points in front of Lewis. One engine failure or an accident and he'll be 8 points behind him instead. Besides, in both races Lewis has been slightly faster in qualifying and has just been hampered by poor starts, which he will solve sooner rather than later.

That said, it is results that counts. Hamilton has been having troubles with the car since Mexico 2015. Whatever the reason for his problems, Rosberg is making the most of it. But you have to ask why Hamilton is having start problems. He did look good in his practise starts.

Nitrodaze
3rd April 2016, 17:47
He did well, but how well is hard to determine with no team-mate to compare against for most of the race. He was lapping slower than Button before Button's retirement.

Considering he had to fly in from Japan at short notice, out qualified Button and carried the sole Mclaren hope for points to 10th position. This is definitely a great showing.

steveaki13
3rd April 2016, 17:58
Give Nico credit. He has been faultless really so far. 2 wins and his best chance yet.

Nico Rosberg done well. Composed and just done what he needed too.
Kimi Raikkonen was terrific. Passed people early and was fast enough to keep the Mercedes in sight.
Lewis Hamilton was OK after a collision. He passed people in a damaged car but felt like he was not able to push enough.
Daniel Ricciardo was good to secure 4th
Romain Grosjean was sensational. What a tremendous start to Haas season
Max Verstappen did a good job too, he always seems to be towards the front.
Felipe Massa was solid, but sadly the Williams is getting slower and slower.
Dani Kyvat done OK nothing more.
Valtteri Bottas was a bit messy today. Incident and then not fast.
Stoffel Vandoorne drove a great first race to score a point on his debut
Kevin Magnussen done a good job from the pit lane to pass people and work up to 11th.
Marcus Ericcson was solid in an average Sauber. Showed some real fight out there.
Marcus Wehrlein was brilliant. A cut above his team mate and can actually get the improved Manor amongst the other cars. 13th place a great effort.
Felipe Nasr started 21st and so done OK to overtake some cars.
Nico Hulkenberg was poor. Even if most of it was how slow the Force India was.
Sergio Perez was poor too. Force India in real problems
Rio Haryanto done a good job to be amongst the racing early on. Just not quite good enough to stay with the field.
Carlos Sainz had terrible luck all day.
Esteban Gutierrez was good while running but was very unfortunate to retire.
Jenson Button had no real chance to show anything. Another terrible race for him.
Jolyon Palmer. So unlucky to have a problem. I think he may have raced K Mag & Stoffel for 10th.
Sebastian Vettel. Such a shame. A DNS and robbed us of a better race. Ferrari seem to have some issues.

The Black Knight
3rd April 2016, 18:19

Lewis finished 3rd

zako85
4th April 2016, 13:16
Give Nico credit. He has been faultless really so far. 2 wins and his best chance yet.

Indeed. Some people assume that Nico won "by default". But in reality both times he run a very good flawless race. Yesterday, he had a fantastic start, while Hamilton had a mediocre start. (Don't they get to practice this part a lot?) Anyway, Rosberg deserves big credit here.

zako85
4th April 2016, 13:45

Wow.10, 20, or 30 years ago Ron Dennis probably wouldn't have believed that every top 10 finish is actually great. My view of McLaren-Honda these days is .. mediocre. Praying to win a point? Is this what McLaren was about?

Nitrodaze
5th April 2016, 22:35
Wow.10, 20, or 30 years ago Ron Dennis probably wouldn't have believed that every top 10 finish is actually great. My view of McLaren-Honda these days is .. mediocre. Praying to win a point? Is this what McLaren was about?

A marathon win starts with a first step. Mclaren will rise again and fly their flags high. Just imagine where Jenson would have ended up if he didn't have his DNF. Possibly 6th or even 5th. It is looking good, something is beginning to work. Reliability is still an issue, but that Honda engine is showing some hairy chest now. The next evolution of this engine would certainly be there or there about the Ferrari.

Koz
6th April 2016, 02:56
Reliability is still an issue, but that Honda engine is showing some hairy chest now. The next evolution of this engine would certainly be there or there about the Ferrari.

Is it though?