PDA

View Full Version : Turkey GP..........

CarlMetro
24th April 2007, 00:55
...........confirmed for the next 15 years :eek:

Is this the longest contract Bernie has ever signed? Or is it just the small fact that he now rums the Istanbul circuit :s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6583387.stm

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has guaranteed the future of the Turkish Grand Prix for at least the next 15 years.
Ecclestone has taken control of the management rights for the Istanbul Park circuit, which he calls the "best race track in the world".

He insisted he would not make any money and called it his "worst deal" ever.

But he said: "F1 needs to be in this part of the world - I am very proud of what has been built here in Turkey."

jso1985
24th April 2007, 01:22
nice! the only good track Tilke has done is staying!

DimitraF1
24th April 2007, 01:52
politics smell... bernie-->usa-->turkey in europe etc etc... :P

pino
24th April 2007, 06:32
Great news, the Istanbul circuit is one of the best in the Calendar :up:

Storm
24th April 2007, 08:35
Whatever the reasons...atleast he hasn't signed a contract with Imola etc....Istanbul is a good track!

ShiftingGears
24th April 2007, 09:40
I'm glad as its a good track, that gives them plenty of time to make it more picturesque :p : Why can't he sign a contract with Suzuka for this long?

Viktory
24th April 2007, 10:24
Very good! now do the same with Spa and Suzuka!

ioan
24th April 2007, 10:24
At least it's not at the other end of the world.

Valve Bounce
24th April 2007, 10:35

Personally, I'd like to see a GP in India. The population is immense, the interest would be incredible, the TV rights enormous, and the television adverts rights lucrative.

ioan
24th April 2007, 11:54
Personally, I'd like to see a GP in India. The population is immense, the interest would be incredible, the TV rights enormous, and the television adverts rights lucrative.

Might be the next location of the Oz GP! :D
Just kidding!

Not a bad idea you have there, they are looking into it since a while but I believe they don't have the funds to build the track.

ShiftingGears
24th April 2007, 12:46
I'd really be fine with Grands Prix anywhere if they're great circuits and have character, but I think F1 should hold onto circuits that hold tradition and history as well, like many European circuits. I'd be devestated if F1 left Monaco.

ArrowsFA1
24th April 2007, 12:52
Guess who has popped up in Delhi (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19064.html)...

Robinho
24th April 2007, 13:13

it is for some people!

good news to have a great track signed up, puts pressure on Britain, Italy, France, Germany etc who have all had issues with their races/circuits/funding over the last few years, the more newer tracks signed up to lnger deals the harder they'll have to work to keep their races

Valve Bounce
24th April 2007, 13:14
I'd just like to chat regarding the last three posts. First of all, the question of funding would never be a problem in India - there are people there with unlimited funds, so I believe. Commenting on the link given by Arrows, I would guess this bureaucracy would be dependent on where some of the funding is directed.
As for Monaco, I was there, walked the circuit and I have to admit this is the ultimate test (today) of an F1 driver's driving ability and courage. You simply don't spin off herre and come back into the race losing a couple of places - more like losing a couple of wheels. I would be devastated if Monaco is lost to the F1 circus.

By the way, I could have gone around that corner faster than SchM in my camper van without having to stop. :D

ArrowsFA1
24th April 2007, 13:23
As for Monaco, I was there, walked the circuit and I have to admit this is the ultimate test (today) of an F1 driver's driving ability and courage. You simply don't spin off herre and come back into the race losing a couple of places - more like losing a couple of wheels. I would be devastated if Monaco is lost to the F1 circus.
Me too :up: Like you Valve, I've been around the circuit (but driven, not walked) and was amazed that these guys can race around without hitting something at least every second :eek: and that was my impression of the place at about 15mph :p

Yes it's a showpiece event for the sponsors and VIPs, but it is truly a challenge for F1 drivers as well. If Turkey is getting 15yrs then Monaco should get at least 50!

ioan
24th April 2007, 13:39
Me too :up: Like you Valve, I've been around the circuit (but driven, not walked) and was amazed that these guys can race around without hitting something at least every second :eek: and that was my impression of the place at about 15mph :p

There are several gears to be used in a car! ;)

Yes it's a showpiece event for the sponsors and VIPs, but it is truly a challenge for F1 drivers as well. If Turkey is getting 15yrs then Monaco should get at least 50!

I doubt that Monaco is faced with losing it's F1 GP.

ShiftingGears
24th April 2007, 14:05
Guess who has popped up in Delhi (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19064.html)...

I hope that they don't go OTT with street circuits, how about staging a race on a natural undulating road course for a change?

Also, are there any Indians on the forum who knows what this proposed area is like in terms of terrain and corners etc?

Storm
24th April 2007, 14:43

population is immense - well yeah sadly... :\
interest incredible? - perhaps...atleast for races on TV and Karthikeyan or Chandok in F1 (he is in GP2 now) would help.
TV rights - well yeah plenty of 24x7 sports channels dying for coverage

infrastructure is crap, state governments fighting each other and the central govt for funds, plenty of red tape and so on.

Buttt, huge potential for F1 to expand and we have seen when needed there are funds available (ie when the politicians really want to do something)

ClarkFan
24th April 2007, 18:17
I'm glad as its a good track, that gives them plenty of time to make it more picturesque :p : Why can't he sign a contract with Suzuka for this long?
Because Suzuka doesn't put as much money in Bernie's pocket! His standards are really very simple: more money to BCE = :up: .

:\

ClarkFan

Ian McC
24th April 2007, 20:26

Indeed so, shame it is never going to produce the most interesting races (weather excluded)

Erki
24th April 2007, 20:54
Ecclestone has taken control of the management rights for the Istanbul Park circuit, which he calls the "best race track in the world".

Best, in F1 calendar, yes, but the competition is so low to begin with. Turkey seems to be a real good track but there at least a dozen tracks better than Istanbul. :)

And Bernie, please hire a gardener and make the Istanbul Park look like a Park!

Erki
24th April 2007, 20:57
Indeed so, shame it is never going to produce the most interesting races (weather excluded)

Funny you say that. Hasn't Monaco GP been the most interesting race in the calendar for the last 3(?) years?

Valve Bounce
24th April 2007, 23:12
Actually, qualifying is awesome - something not for the faint hearted. As James Allen mentioned once about the Xylophone effect: I suppose when the cars run off and make music on the armco :D

It is here where the better drivers in lessor cars can make their mark.

cosmicpanda
25th April 2007, 03:11
Funny you say that. Hasn't Monaco GP been the most interesting race in the calendar for the last 3(?) years?

I think it is. The cars can actually pass at the chicane. Remember Hiedfeld and Webber finally squeezing past Alonso two years ago, and Fisichella's banzai moves last year?