PDA

View Full Version : What's new?

Starter
14th February 2016, 02:43
Just read Robin's latest column over at Racer after quite awhile away from anything IndyCar. Doesn't seem like much is new. Same old issue of same old drivers and not much excitement about anything. (Not claiming to know the cure for that, just commenting.) This board used to be pretty active, but that was when there was a lot of variety in cars, engines, teams and drivers. It's been stale for a long time. Still, I want to get excited about the upcoming season. It's just that there is nothing on the horizon to get me there. I'm off for a couple weeks vacation in SA. Maybe there will be new things when I return - then again, maybe not. In which case I'll still be doing SCCA stuff.
Cheers to all who still read this board from time to time.

Stan Reid
14th February 2016, 12:51
Yes, not much new. It would help if they would allow at least a couple of more engines. The Indy track record is 20 years old so that speaks volumes.

mr_swiss
16th February 2016, 04:57
A few tidbits i've gathered
Honda extended for a few more years
Max Chilton is driving for Ganassi
The Indy 500 has a title sponsor for the first time with Penn Grade motor oil
Carpenter Fisher Hartman racing is now just Ed Carpenter racing, which i assume means the end of Sarah Fisher's team owner ship
and the season gets under way on March 13 at St. Petersburg, then off to Phoenix and then Long Beach.
I hope everyone will have a save season.

Stan Reid
10th March 2016, 00:45
Well, there are 22 entries for the first race this Sunday; 10 Chevrolets and 12 Hondas.

Tazio
13th March 2016, 18:19
Interesting race at 1/4 way through. After Juan got past Castranevas, he is slowly reeling in Pagenaud!

AAReagles
28th March 2016, 02:32
Just read Robin's latest column over at Racer after quite awhile away from anything IndyCar. Doesn't seem like much is new. Same old issue of same old drivers and not much excitement about anything. (Not claiming to know the cure for that, just commenting.) This board used to be pretty active, but that was when there was a lot of variety in cars, engines, teams and drivers. It's been stale for a long time. Still, I want to get excited about the upcoming season. It's just that there is nothing on the horizon to get me there...... Maybe there will be new things when I return - then again, maybe not. In which case I'll still be doing SCCA stuff.
Cheers to all who still read this board from time to time.

I was thinking the same thing after being away from here for months. Habitually pondering "Gosh, 'The 500' is coming up again. Wonder what's in store for this year..." Then I came back to reality, and figured Memorial (raceday) Sunday will be a repeat of Paul Newman's 'Winning' (1969) and what ever 500 I happen to choose from the archives of 20 years or so.

A few tidbits i've gathered......

The Indy 500 has a title sponsor for the first time with Penn Grade motor oil

Well now, that's a new all-time low.

Nem14
7th April 2016, 00:53
We have Tony George to thank for diminishing the excitement and continued growth of Indy Car style open wheel racing.

Thanks again T.G. Your vision was seriously flawed.

Stan Reid
7th April 2016, 01:09
The last really interesting thing that happened at Indy was the 1000 HP Merc in 1994. In 1995, the first car to complete 500 miles (Goodyear) was scored as 14th. In 1996, Davy Jones would have won had he not been intentionally run into the inside wall (team orders as I recall) while leading by a laps down Salazar (even with that, he finished second by just .6 of a second). Then in 1997, the reincarnation of the "junk formula".

steveaki13
18th April 2016, 23:23
Probably no one on here knows, but is Indycar covered in the UK anymore? I cant seem to find much on TV. Used to be on Sky then Sky F1.

Starter
19th April 2016, 03:08
Probably no one on here knows, but is Indycar covered in the UK anymore? I cant seem to find much on TV. Used to be on Sky then Sky F1.
It's not really covered well here either. It's on domestic TV, if you have the right cable package, but I have no idea if anyone paid for any foreign broadcast rights. Probably not. Most newspapers these days don't even show results much less a story about the races.

zako85
5th May 2016, 13:45
First of all, I have no idea what's up with this board, but the IndyCar forum is very alive on the ten-tenths.

Second, this most interesting discovery of the season for me was that Birmingham is having a very classy race track when it's not raining and flooding...

The Phoenix track is absolutely disgusting. Pit out of sequence of the rest of cars, and you're a dead meat because you're one or two laps behind now.

Finally, Pagenaud is a great racer and he is finally starting to get the respect he deserves. I'd say this years battle will be between him and Dixon, but it's too early to call.

zako85
5th May 2016, 13:50

Head over to rutracker.org. Pay a Russian bartender or nurse to get through the Russian language registration screens. Don't tell anyone I mentioned this.

Starter
5th May 2016, 16:28
First of all, I have no idea what's up with this board, but the IndyCar forum is very alive on the ten-tenths.
Everyone left here during the "split" wars between CART/ChampCar and the IRL.

Second, this most interesting discovery of the season for me was that Birmingham is having a very classy race track when it's not raining and flooding...
Yes it is a decent track. Although it was designed primarily for motorcycles.

The Phoenix track is absolutely disgusting. Pit out of sequence of the rest of cars, and you're a dead meat because you're one or two laps behind now.
That is true of all of the short ovals, nothing new. It all comes out in the wash at the end after everyone pits.

Finally, Pagenaud is a great racer and he is finally starting to get the respect he deserves. I'd say this years battle will be between him and Dixon, but it's too early to call.
He has always been a good racer. This year he has raised his game a bit.

Alfa Fan
5th May 2016, 17:33
Everyone left here during the "split" wars between CART/ChampCar and the IRL.

Not true. A few disruptive, high-frequency posters chased most people away after their antics were left unmoderated.

Starter
5th May 2016, 21:45
Not true. A few disruptive, high-frequency posters chased most people away after their antics were left unmoderated.
As the Mod at the time, I (obviously) disagree with that. I still have some of the hate mail I received after I wouldn't let some of either side beat up on the other side. But you are correct in that it was a nasty time with high emotions from both sides.

Stan Reid
16th May 2016, 23:19
Today's first practice-all 33 cars and drivers made it on the track turning nearly 1500 laps. Marco Andretti was the fastest in a Honda at 228.978 mph. A 34th car for Katherine Legge apparently didn't make the entry deadline.

Stan Reid
17th May 2016, 21:57
Day 2-Rainout

Stan Reid
19th May 2016, 00:08
Day 3: 2779 laps from all 33 cars-Spencer Pigot uninjured after the day's only crash-Ryan Hunter-Reay best speed at 228.202 in a Honda

Nem14
19th May 2016, 02:37
In 1995 the pole was won by Scott Brayton at a 4 lap average speed of 231.604 mph.
Just look how far Indy car has come in 21 years.

Stan Reid
19th May 2016, 13:24
Arie Luyendyk turned a practice lap at 239 in 1996. There was some thought of loosening the rules enough to give them a chance to break the track record for this the 100th race but that was squelched with the troubles last year. It would be interesting to see what 1996 chasis with a 1973 engine could do around there today-I would think maybe 260-265.

Stan Reid
19th May 2016, 22:05
Watching Day 4 Happy Hour live on Youtube right now. Get a little taste of oval track running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ielfeU6lbs

Stan Reid
20th May 2016, 01:48
Day 4: 2563 laps today with Gabby Chaves taking the top speed in his Handa at 227.961 mph. Tomorrow, they should be over 230 mph because they will get 40 more horsepower with added boost and also start trimming off some of the downforce for qualifying Saturday.

Stan Reid
20th May 2016, 19:54
Watch Day 5 live on Youtube now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRo3yh8lixY

Starter
20th May 2016, 20:51
Arie Luyendyk turned a practice lap at 239 in 1996. There was some thought of loosening the rules enough to give them a chance to break the track record for this the 100th race but that was squelched with the troubles last year. It would be interesting to see what 1996 chasis with a 1973 engine could do around there today-I would think maybe 260-265.
I'd be happy with a pre IRL rules car and motor or, better, an up date of same, but you are correct - that would be interesting.

Stan Reid
20th May 2016, 22:57
Top speed Day 5: Will Power in a Chevrolet at 232.672 mph.