PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Mascots

Hazell B
23rd April 2007, 20:52
Anyone heard of Mr Purrfect, the Castleford Tigers Rugby League mascot? Anyone met The Rat Fan (mainly to be found in the Touring Cars section here) and wondered what he gets up to when he's not asking stupid questions or dressing up like a deep sea diver (inc flippers) to run half marathons?

Well, he's Mr Purrfect now too. He even has to sign autographs :laugh:

Not that he'll thank me for telling you all ........ :p :

tintin
23rd April 2007, 21:04
Hazell, this thread needs some pictures.

Hazell B
23rd April 2007, 21:21
I'm sure it does, but as I've never see the rat boy in his tatty (that's his quote, not mine!) tiger suit I have none.

The publicity photos the club have probably aren't him yet, he's not been in the job long.

GridGirl
23rd April 2007, 22:35
Pahhhh Ronnie the Rhino would beat him every time.

tintin
23rd April 2007, 23:01
Does anyone remember Mascot Gladiators?

BDunnell
23rd April 2007, 23:15
Does anyone remember Mascot Gladiators?

Yes. The Mascot Grand National is but a cheap and tacky emulation thereof.

Mark in Oshawa
24th April 2007, 02:45
I didn't know you Brits had silly mascots like we have over here. Carlton the Bear with the Toronto Maple Leafs is about the dumbest and lamest mascot going but it seems like we are stuck with him. The greatest sports mascot of all time was the "San Diego Chicken" who actually free lanced to any team that would hire him. He is retired now....the guy made a ton of dough for a lot of years...

millencolin
24th April 2007, 12:35
at least my footy teams mascot is real... Buck the bronco from the Brisbane Broncos rugby league club

he circles the park after every single broncos try. buck is a legend... kids love him, and the drunk fans bow down to him :p :

Hazell B
25th April 2007, 21:58
Pahhhh Ronnie the Rhino would beat him every time.

I don't doubt that for a moment, but be warned that Ratty can hop backwards faster than any living person. It's true, he beat Civic Boy by hopping backwards while CB ran forwards once. Steroid free to boot :p :

BDunnell
25th April 2007, 22:21
I didn't know you Brits had silly mascots like we have over here. Carlton the Bear with the Toronto Maple Leafs is about the dumbest and lamest mascot going but it seems like we are stuck with him. The greatest sports mascot of all time was the "San Diego Chicken" who actually free lanced to any team that would hire him. He is retired now....the guy made a ton of dough for a lot of years...

They have only gained something approaching cult status in the UK in recent years, it seems, as a form of 'post-modern, ironic' entertainment. Hence such abortions as Mascot Gladiators and the Mascot Grand National. Mind you, the fact that I know about them must say something...

Hazell B
25th April 2007, 22:34
Don't you ever stop looking down your nose at things, Ben? Jeez, a few people thought it would encourage a family to attend football, etc instead of just thugs and it's an abortion? :rolleyes:

The mascot Grand National has been going on for many years, probably twenty I guess. It's not new, just better marketed now. It's called FUN!

I'll let Ratty know that what he does is an abortion, and of course mention that to the children who line up for his autograph at half time. Would you also like him to tell them Father Christmas isn't real?

BDunnell
25th April 2007, 23:14
Don't you ever stop looking down your nose at things, Ben? Jeez, a few people thought it would encourage a family to attend football, etc instead of just thugs and it's an abortion? :rolleyes:

The mascot Grand National has been going on for many years, probably twenty I guess. It's not new, just better marketed now. It's called FUN!

I'll let Ratty know that what he does is an abortion, and of course mention that to the children who line up for his autograph at half time. Would you also like him to tell them Father Christmas isn't real?

Excuse me, but there are plenty of things I like that many people might consider to be 'low-brow'.

Would you rather we all made bland remarks about everything? I take it the answer is 'no'. While we're on the subject, no matter how many people read them, I think Jeffrey Archer and Jackie Collins novels are crap, too. Do you consider that to be unduly snobbish?

Hazell B
26th April 2007, 11:49
No, I consider you to be unduly snobbish, on the whole. Calling something an abortion offends me. If you don't like it that's fine, but to stop a lighthearted thread dead with yet another of your snotty remarks is an irritation.

Plus, of course, you're wrong about the mascot Grand National being a 'cheap and tacky emulation' when it's actually a very good charity fund raiser (the bookies take bets and pay all the profit to charities - about twenty grand each year I think - and the runners collect sponsorship) that's been going for years.

Feel free to call writers crap. Abortion isn't quite on the same level when it comes to name calling as far as most people are concerned.

BDunnell
26th April 2007, 13:08
No, I consider you to be unduly snobbish, on the whole. Calling something an abortion offends me. If you don't like it that's fine, but to stop a lighthearted thread dead with yet another of your snotty remarks is an irritation.

Plus, of course, you're wrong about the mascot Grand National being a 'cheap and tacky emulation' when it's actually a very good charity fund raiser (the bookies take bets and pay all the profit to charities - about twenty grand each year I think - and the runners collect sponsorship) that's been going for years.

Feel free to call writers crap. Abortion isn't quite on the same level when it comes to name calling as far as most people are concerned.

I am only snobbish about things where I think there is good reason to be, or in order to be light-hearted. This was a case of the latter. I think that ought to have been obvious. Still, if you think I'm an appalling snob, so be it. I really don't care.

And you also seem to be unaware of the fact that 'abortion' can be used to describe something poor, without, I believe, the word having anything to do with having an abortion.

Hazell B
26th April 2007, 21:36
Ah, getting snotty about my English, eh?

Now there's a shocker :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet the Oxford English doesn't agree with you, but can't be bothered looking. Abortive is fair do's, but abortion isn't IMO. And no, you're not funny.

BDunnell
26th April 2007, 22:02
Abortive is fair do's, but abortion isn't IMO.

Abortive would cerainly not be correct in these circumstances, I hate to tell you.

Hazell B
26th April 2007, 22:30
I know. And you love to tell me, is what you mean :laugh:

I win the quote bingo folks :D
Thanks to those who entered :up:

BDunnell
26th April 2007, 22:35
I know. And you love to tell me, is what you mean :laugh:

I may disagree with you on this and several other things, but I seriously have no wish to demean you or have a pointless argument with you.

Hazell B
27th April 2007, 19:44
So why do it to myself and so many other people?

Then do it again, and again ..... with relish :mark:

BDunnell
27th April 2007, 20:23
So why do it to myself and so many other people?

Then do it again, and again ..... with relish :mark:

I don't think I demean anyone. I may disagree vehemently with people, and seek to stand up for what I think, but that's something entirely different. If I really wanted to say demeaning things to you, I would, but I hope I'm not like that.

Still, if you don't agree, I genuinely don't care, because I don't know you and you don't know me.

Mark in Oshawa
28th April 2007, 21:48
at least my footy teams mascot is real... Buck the bronco from the Brisbane Broncos rugby league club

he circles the park after every single broncos try. buck is a legend... kids love him, and the drunk fans bow down to him :p :

He is sort of like the horse that gets ridden around after a touchdown in Calgary when the hometown Stampeders put it in the end zone. However, I cant remember the damned horse's name......but I do know he is white, and probably wishes they would put real grass in McMahon Stadium...