PDA

View Full Version : Channel4 F1 Team

Nitrodaze
23rd January 2016, 02:44
I have checked out the channel4 website to see what their preparation is like for hosting the 2016 f1 season which incidentally starts in under eight weeks. The website do not seem to be ready for the online aspect of the f1 coverage and blogs etc. There is no announcement of who is in the team that would present and commentate the races. I am wondering if Channel4 is going to be ready to start broadcasting at Australia. There is plenty highly skilled people at Channel4, l would bet that they would be able to muster something for Australia, but at this point, they are looking like on their back foot.
That said, if you were the CEO of Channel4, who would like to see in the crew covering the races. In the running for presenters would most likely be one of the following; Suzi Perry, Jake Humphreys, Jenny Gow, Lee Mckenzie. And commentators may most likely be James Allen or Ben Edwards. Co-Commentator may most likely be one of the following; David Coultard, Allan McNish, Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta. Pitlane commentators, maybe Lee Mckenzie, Jenny Gow, Tom Clackson.

By the way, the Channel4 broadcast of the races is going to be an uninterrupted end to end broadcasts. No silly adverts to spoil your enjoyment. Great isn't it :-)

What is your preference?

inimitablestoo
23rd January 2016, 10:14
Channel 4 should be ready for Australia. Remember it's been about a month since the news was announced so they haven't had much time to prepare; as such, from what I've read 2017 will be their "bona fide" year to make their mark; we might not see much difference from the BBC coverage this year.

David Coulthard has already been announced as one of the commentators; it's his and Jake Humphrey [singular] 's company, so Jake may well be involved, although I'm not sure how his BT Sport ties would sit with that. My guess is they will either take Suzi Perry, promote Charlie Webster from BSB/RoC coverage, or bring in somebody new to the role. Possibly Lee McKenzie could do it, although she does do other things for the BBC outside F1. Keeping Ben Edwards makes sense, as there's no other motorsport on the BBC for him to stick around for, although Martin Haven's name has been mentioned since he is the voice of most of C4's motorsport (most of it bought in, however, from the likes of Motors).

I suspect James Allen, Jennie Gow and Allan McNish may well stick with the BBC for the Radio 5 Live coverage, although it wouldn't be totally unknown for them to shuffle the line-up slightly. I'd imagine Paul di Resta would want to stick with his DTM commitments, so a move into commentary won't happen yet (not on a full-time basis anyway). Anthony Davidson is tied up with Sky, so I doubt he'd make the move. Tom Clarkson would likely remain with the pit lane reporting, and with Whisper in charge they'll hopefully dissuade C4 from simply inserting some ex-Hollyoaks starlet into a role alongside him (no offence to our friends in Chester, although when they had one character involved in "rally racing" [sic] any thoughts of reality went out the co-driver's window).

Failing that though, I am available :D

Rollo
24th January 2016, 12:35
Channel 4 should be ready for Australia.

Depends on who the host broadcaster is.

Channel 10 have not confirmed if they are showing any races live in 2016. If this is the case then Foxtel is the only broadcaster in Australia and the host broadcaster by default. Foxtel is a 50% joint venture between News Corp and Telstra.
If Foxtel is the host broadcaster, then they will probably not be putting Australia up for offer on free-to-air on any network competing with a News Corp company; in the UK, that's Sky.

Channel 4 might not be getting the Australian GP if the rumours are correct.

RS
24th January 2016, 13:38
Will Channel 4 be showing live qualifying and practice sessions from races which they have live? They have plenty of channels they can use...

inimitablestoo
24th January 2016, 15:15
If Foxtel is the host broadcaster, then they will probably not be putting Australia up for offer on free-to-air on any network competing with a News Corp company; in the UK, that's Sky.

Then that would be in breach of the contract Channel 4 has with FOM, so I doubt it...

Practice and qualifying are live as far as I'm aware; C4 have simply taken over the BBC's old contract, so everything should be as it was, just on some different-numbered channels.

Nitrodaze
31st January 2016, 18:19
Coultard is one face we are sure to see, come Melborne. It appears Channel 4 is using Jake Humphries' company for the production of the broadcast, hence Jake Humphrey is looking most likely to fill the presenter role. It seems they are also trying to use the BBC f1 team from last year, which be interesting and be great at the same time.

Nitrodaze
24th February 2016, 23:50
Channel 4 not Airing the first race of the season. No Monaco either. Only ten races of which they manage to eliminate two very important races. You have to wonder what the f**k they are thinking.

acescribe
25th February 2016, 15:22
Channel 4 not Airing the first race of the season. No Monaco either. Only ten races of which they manage to eliminate two very important races. You have to wonder what the f**k they are thinking.

Channel 4 are airing the first race, and Monaco - just not live and just as the BBC did last year, and the year before.

Jake Humphrey is busy presenting with BT and whilst he may crop up on C4's F1 coverage he wont be the anchor. I would fully expect Ben Edwards to continue as commentator along with Coulthard.

But, it is notable that C4 appear to have nobody in Barcelona though covering anything on the first test.

acescribe
25th February 2016, 15:31
Depends on who the host broadcaster is.

Channel 10 have not confirmed if they are showing any races live in 2016. If this is the case then Foxtel is the only broadcaster in Australia and the host broadcaster by default. Foxtel is a 50% joint venture between News Corp and Telstra.

I have noted the total lack of anything on Channel Ten/One/11 regarding F1 coverage too, especially seeing as the Australian GP is only three weeks away now. But equally, I would be surprised if they were not showing F1 at all this year, they are supposedly only in the second year of the sharing deal with Foxtel.

inimitablestoo
25th February 2016, 15:47
Incidentally, I can't find anything on the interwebs yet to prove it, but a couple of few-seconds-long clips of an F1 car with the "building blocks" of the Channel 4 logo on it did get inserted to the ad breaks earlier today. They're nearly ready... :)

Nitrodaze
25th February 2016, 20:19
Incidentally, I can't find anything on the interwebs yet to prove it, but a couple of few-seconds-long clips of an F1 car with the "building blocks" of the Channel 4 logo on it did get inserted to the ad breaks earlier today. They're nearly ready... :)
I hope they are, so far, l am not seeing any movement. Not even adverts on the channels shouting about F1. No web activity about f1. It is like they are not involved at all.

But you are right, they are getting ready for Day one Melbourne Australia. I don't mind that Melbourne is televised live as long as they do televise it at some point during that day.

Bruce D
8th March 2016, 12:02
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123162

Lineup is announced. I almost feel like there's more driving talent in this lineup than the actual F1 grid.

ATF
8th March 2016, 13:58
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123162

Lineup is announced. I almost feel like there's more driving talent in this lineup than the actual F1 grid.

Good line-up in my opinion - people may feel Steve Jones has something to prove but you could draw parallels with Jake Humphrey so hope he is a success. I've always thought Chandhok and Webber give good insight and it'll be interesting to see what Prost brings to the table. I wonder what capacity Murray Walker is working in?

MrJan
8th March 2016, 18:06
Good line-up in my opinion - people may feel Steve Jones has something to prove but you could draw parallels with Jake Humphrey so hope he is a success. I've always thought Chandhok and Webber give good insight and it'll be interesting to see what Prost brings to the table. I wonder what capacity Murray Walker is working in?

Murray is doing some interviews with drivers apparently...so similar to what he's done with the BBC at times.

Team might possibly be a bit over-egged (people are moaning about the new TG having too many presenters!). The occassional roles of Webber and Wolff in sitting alongside DC and Edwards seems a bit odd, but I suppose it's worked in the practice sessions when they've had 3 commentators. Prost I think will have very limited involvement from what I read about him...but I could be wrong.

As you say, Steve Jones seems like an odd choice to present and possibly has something to prove...I'm not convinced at the minute but will give him time.

N. Jones
8th March 2016, 21:38
Even though I do not get Channel 4 in the US I do follow their facebook page. It looks like they have about seven more presenters than they need.
The only two I recognized were David and Eddie Jordan. Who are the others?

MrJan
9th March 2016, 10:09
Even though I do not get Channel 4 in the US I do follow their facebook page. It looks like they have about seven more presenters than they need.
The only two I recognized were David and Eddie Jordan. Who are the others?

Seriously? Who is Alain Prost?

In case you really are wondering: Murray Walker is widely considered the voice of F1 in the UK and beyond. Ben Edwards has been doing the BBC commentary for years. Susie Wolff, Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Bruno Senna and Karun Chandok are all current/ex-drivers, Nic Hamilton is a tin top driver and brother of the 3 time WDC. Steve Jones is, as far as I'm aware, completely unrelated to the sport but used to present a magazine style show for C4 on Sunday mornings. Leigh McKenzie has been doing the pit lane/interviewing role for years, think she used to also do it on the radio for the BBC before they got TV coverage back.

Of those I'm surprised that there are any beyond the last two that you haven't heard of before, especially seeing as so many have either been doing it for years or are known as drivers.

AndyL
9th March 2016, 11:42
Having such a massive team is a novel approach. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I can see the logic in it. When you have a small team at every race, they tend to end up saying the same thing again and again. Having a big bench of pundits to mix-and-match from could produce some useful variety.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdBFjhkW0AAbThf.jpg

N. Jones
9th March 2016, 15:20
Seriously? Who is Alain Prost?

In case you really are wondering: Murray Walker is widely considered the voice of F1 in the UK and beyond. Ben Edwards has been doing the BBC commentary for years. Susie Wolff, Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Bruno Senna and Karun Chandok are all current/ex-drivers, Nic Hamilton is a tin top driver and brother of the 3 time WDC. Steve Jones is, as far as I'm aware, completely unrelated to the sport but used to present a magazine style show for C4 on Sunday mornings. Leigh McKenzie has been doing the pit lane/interviewing role for years, think she used to also do it on the radio for the BBC before they got TV coverage back.

Of those I'm surprised that there are any beyond the last two that you haven't heard of before, especially seeing as so many have either been doing it for years or are known as drivers.

Well, I have heard of them but I didn't enlarge the photo. That is why I did not recognize them.

acescribe
9th March 2016, 16:28
Interesting that they have snapped up Chandok and Senna from their occasional roles on Sky, which means Sky will be needing replacements for when Ant Davidson is off WEC'ing. That is a good line up C4 have got there, but the words "Channel 4 gloss" to the TV coverage could be a bit worrying. That said, they may make Sky's coverage look tired, we will see - up to the latter to make sure it isn't given subscribers are paying for it. I note that Natalie Pinkham today tweeted that the Midweek Report and F1 Show are set to merge into one programme (on a Thursday by looks of it) - so that is potentially cutting back on content whilst customers are paying the same (or more)

henners88
17th March 2016, 09:09
Looks like a good team. I just hope C4 can carry the BBCs achievement of being better than Sky.

AndyL
17th March 2016, 17:36
There's a Guy Martin/David Coulthard programme on at 9 tonight with some pre-F1 season larking about.

ATF
22nd March 2016, 11:12
So, what did anyone make of the C4 coverage then? I thought it was a decent first crack but I'm still a bit undecided on Steve Jones as the host. I can't quite put my finger on it but he seemed to be putting on a false, extra-emphasising tone when he spoke. Did anyone else notice or is that just his normal speaking voice?!

MrJan
22nd March 2016, 14:44
That's Steve Jones' normal style I think. There were a couple of 'jokes' which seemed to hark to his T4 days (in tone anyway) that I don't think fitted. Other than that he did okay but I felt that he wasn't as au fait with the sport as either Humphrey or Suzi.

In general the coverage wasn't bad, although the sheer number of pre-race adverts wound me up. I'm still reserving judgment, will be interesting to see what it's like when they have a fully live race.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd March 2016, 22:56
Seemed like a carbon copy of the BBC coverage but with adverts.

Think I'll miss Suzi Perry. See had a great relationship with her co-presenters and a natural delivery.