PDA

View Full Version : Firsts and Lasts in Motorsports

Stan Reid
23rd January 2016, 01:55
The place to post firsts and lasts in motorsports so for a start off maybe the first event that could be considered a motorsport:

It was on July the 27th of 1811 and it was a race between two steamboats. At Albany NY, the Hope under Captain Bunker and the Clarmont under Captain Bartholomew squared off in a one on one race. Hope took the early lead and essentially won the event when Bunker put a block on Bartholomew as he tried to make an inside pass at a bend in the river. The result was also the first motorsports accident which ended the contest although no one was hurt and neither craft was seriously damaged.

Stan Reid
23rd January 2016, 02:25
The first land based motor race I can find, and it's only half so, was the race between the steam locomotive Tom Thumb and a horse drawn rail car. It happened in Maryland on August 28 of 1830. The horse got off to an early lead but Peter Cooper, who was at the controls of Tom Thumb, got the boiler pressure up and passed the horse. Shortly afterward, a belt began to slip on the engine and the horse took the lead back and went on to the win.

Stan Reid
23rd January 2016, 02:52
The first auto race, of a sort, was apparently a contest between two steam carriages on the roads outside of Manchester, England on August 30 of 1867. A machine owned by Isaac Boulton and purportedly driven by his son James came in first at the end of the eight mile event over Daniel Adamson's car, perhaps driven by a Mr. Schmidt.

Stan Reid
23rd January 2016, 04:01
It looks like the first air race happened in Germany on September 18 of 1908. The contest was between two dirigibles, one commanded by Major Von Parceval and the other by Major Gross. Neither airship made it to the destination but Gross got the farthest so I suppose he would be considered the winner.

Stan Reid
23rd January 2016, 13:14
The first and last time a motorcycle held the land speed and overall speed record:

In January 1907, Frank Curtiss on his V-8 motorcycle broke the automobile and absolute speed record set a year earlier by Frank Marriott. At Ormand Beach, Florida, he was clocked at 136.36 miles per hour. The record was not broken until August 1918 when Roland Rohlfs hit 163 mph with a airplane in level flight.

Stan Reid
23rd January 2016, 16:14
The first person to operate a motor vehicle at a speed above 100 kph was Engineer John Pemberton at the controls of the steam locomotive Antelope in 1848. During the second half of the 26 mile speed run through Massachusetts, he averaged 65.0 miles per hour which converts to 104.6 kilometers per hour-And it's a new land speed record!

Stan Reid
24th January 2016, 23:13
The first person to operate a motor vehicle over 100 miles per hour was Engineer Charles Hogan who, at the controls of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad #999 locomotive, reached 102.8 mph (165.4 kph) on May 9 of 1893. Hogan hit his speed while traveling through Upstate New York.

Stan Reid
25th January 2016, 00:16
The first and only time that a single person officially held more than one of the three ultimate speed records was from September 1 of 1937 to November 19 of 1937 when Malcolm Campbell held both the water and land speed records.

Notes:

From August 23 of 1909 to August 24 of 1909, Glenn Curtiss unofficially held both the air and land speed records.

From July 17 of 1964 to December 11 of 1964, Donald Campbell held the water speed record and the FIA automobile land speed record but the actual land speed record at the time (recognized by both USAC and the FIM) was held by Craig Breedlove.

Stan Reid
26th January 2016, 00:46
The Rainhill Trials in Northern England on October 6-8 of 1829 would seem to be the first land based motorsports competition. It was a rally of sorts where 5 locomotives (four were steam powered and one was powered by a horse on a treadmill) were clocked as they ran back and forth on a level mile long stretch of rails. The event was won by Robert Stevenson's steam locomotive named the Rocket. Steam locomotives also placed second and third. The horse powered machine came in forth only ahead of the forth steam locomotive that was a DNS.

Stan Reid
26th January 2016, 22:28
Perhaps the first motorsports fatality was on July 28 of 1852. The steamboat Henry Clay under Captain Thomas Collyer was racing the Armenia, another steamboat Captained by Isaac Smith, down the Hudson River out of Albany. An overheating boiler set the Henry Clay on fire. The boat was intentionally grounded and most aboard survived but 81 of the craft's passengers died either in the fire or from drowning.

Steve Boyd
27th January 2016, 00:15
Perhaps the first motorsports fatality was on July 28 of 1852. The steamboat Henry Clay under Captain Thomas Collyer was racing the Armenia, another steamboat Captained by Isaac Smith, down the Hudson River out of Albany. An overheating boiler set the Henry Clay on fire. The boat was intentionally grounded and most aboard survived but 81 of the craft's passengers died either in the fire or from drowning.
Not if you are counting the Rainhill Trials!
Member of Parliament William Huskisson was run over by the Rocket & fatally injured during those Trials. Despite being rushed to hospital by Rocket he later died of his injuries. There is a trackside memorial at the site of the accident. His death is also widely acknowledged to be the first passenger railway fatality.

Stan Reid
27th January 2016, 02:51
He was killed at an event dedicated to opening the track, yes.

jens
27th January 2016, 09:57
I am not convinced it was the 'first' (haven't checked), but Auto Union had a ground effects racing car already around 1937-1938. Four decades before the famous Colin Chapman innovation!

Stan Reid
27th January 2016, 12:33
I think the Opel RAK.1 car might have been the first racing car with a wing(s) in 1928.

Stan Reid
29th January 2016, 16:40
As far as I can find, the first driver who died as the result of an accident in an auto race may have been Emile Levassor who was seriously injured in a crash in the 1896 Paris-Marseille-Paris Race. He survived several months but did eventually die of his injuries.

D-Type
30th January 2016, 15:26
There was the race on the Narragansett Park horse race track in Cranston, Rhode Island, USA in September 1896. This is claimed as the first race on a track in the USA, and probably in the world.

Stan Reid
1st February 2016, 01:49
I believe the last new front engine car to appear for qualifying in the Indy 500 was the 1969 Jack Adams Airplanes Special. It was a front engine AWD turbine vehicle. Al Miller practiced in the car but it failed to qualify.

Stan Reid
15th February 2016, 01:03
The first and last auto race track with banking greater than 55 degrees was the Autodromo de Sitges-Terramar built in 1923 near Barcelona, Spain. The one and a quarter mile concrete kidney shaped quasi-oval had (has) 60 degree banked turns at each end! Does "terramar" mean terrifying in Spanish?

D-Type
18th February 2016, 21:10
The Sitges track still exists. It is possible to walk all round it.

I think this is the track where they got the geometry of the transitions from straights to bends wrong.

Stan Reid
19th February 2016, 02:20
This is what a 60 degree (at the top) banked turn looks like.:eek:891

Stan Reid
20th February 2016, 03:53
This is pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ROrZeiSvU

D-Type
20th February 2016, 22:43
Impressive - to say the least. The surface is bumpy and breaking up as you can see when the Audi "yumps"

Stan Reid
21st February 2016, 13:10
Actually, the turns look like they are in pretty good shape so do some patching and grinding then add some safer barriers above the rim and put it on the Indy Car schedule.:D It's nice and wide.

Stan Reid
22nd February 2016, 03:37
I believe the last new front engine car to appear for qualifying in the Indy 500 was the 1969 Jack Adams Airplanes Special. It was a front engine AWD turbine vehicle. Al Miller practiced in the car but it failed to qualify.

The first rear (mid) engine car to appear for qualifying in the Indy 500 was the 1937 Oldfield-Marmon Special. It was a 6 liter OHV V-16 machine which was practice driven by rookie Lee Oldfield but it failed to qualify.

Stan Reid
26th February 2016, 01:53
The first twin engine car entered into the Indy 500 was the Twin-Coach Special driven by Paul Russo in 1946. It had two 89 cubic inch supercharged 4 cylinder Offenhauser Midget engines. One engine mounted in the fashion of a rear engine racer and drove the rear wheels. The other engine was mounted in the front and drove the front wheels in the fashion of a front drive Indy type car. Russo qualified the car in the middle of the front row but spun on some oil on the 16th lap and hit the wall; finishing in 33rd and last place.

The last twin engine car entered in the Indy 500 was the Valvoline Special driven by Bill Cheesbourg in 1966. It had two 121 cubic inch Porsche flat six engines. One was mounted in the rear in the fashion of a rear engine racer and drove the rear wheels. The other engine was mounted in the nose of the car, ahead of the front axle, and drove the front wheels. Cheesbourg practiced the car but it was about 9 mph too slow to make the field.

Stan Reid
29th February 2016, 01:03
As best I can find, the 4 motorsports accidents that killed more than 10 people:

4-(11)-1957 Mille Miglia-Driver Alfonzo de Portago, his navigator and 9 spectators
3-(11)-2011 Reno Air Races-Pilot James Leeward and 10 spectators
2-(16)-1961 Italian Grand Prix-Driver Wolfgang von Trips and 15 spectators
1-(84)-1955 Le Mans 24 Hour-Driver Pierre Lavegh and 83 spectators

Stan Reid
3rd March 2016, 16:18
J. G. Parry-Thomas, the first driver killed in a Land Speed Record attempt. His car, Babs went out of control after a mechanical failure and flipped down Pendine Sands in Wales on, this date, March 3 of 1927.

D28
9th March 2016, 18:07
As best I can find, the 4 motorsports accidents that killed more than 10 people:

4-(11)-1957 Mille Miglia-Driver Alfonzo de Portago, his navigator and 9 spectators
3-(11)-2011 Reno Air Races-Pilot James Leeward and 10 spectators
2-(16)-1961 Italian Grand Prix-Driver Wolfgang von Trips and 15 spectators
1-(84)-1955 Le Mans 24 Hour-Driver Pierre Lavegh and 83 spectators

I remember only the Monza tragedy, 1961 was the first year I attempted to follow F1. Media coverage In Canada was very thin, and I relied on Road & Track reports a few months behind. The Monza tragedy did get front page coverage in Toronto dailies, but that was it, no dedicated analysis or follow ups, or opinion pieces. In retrospect all 3 auto tragedies were very close together and could be referred to as 1950s accidents.While loss of civilian life may not have been accepted, it was at least expected.
Today such carnage would not be tolerated, I think it is fair to say progress has been made in protecting spectator lives. Danger to drivers and course workers still exists, but has been greatly reduced, of that we can be thankful.

Stan Reid
9th March 2016, 20:44
I remember only the Monza tragedy, 1961 was the first year I attempted to follow F1. Media coverage In Canada was very thin, and I relied on Road & Track reports a few months behind. The Monza tragedy did get front page coverage in Toronto dailies, but that was it, no dedicated analysis or follow ups, or opinion pieces. In retrospect all 3 auto tragedies were very close together and could be referred to as 1950s accidents.While loss of civilian life may not have been accepted, it was at least expected.
Today such carnage would not be tolerated, I think it is fair to say progress has been made in protecting spectator lives. Danger to drivers and course workers still exists, but has been greatly reduced, of that we can be thankful.

Yes, I remember seeing the Monza race on Wide World of Sports, tape delayed, (if I recall) and, although the spectators and driver loss of life was mentioned, it was blown off with less caring than if a racehorse had fallen and broken its leg. The big story was that an American had won the World Championship no matter that it was because the lead driver was killed.

D28
9th March 2016, 22:10
Yes, I remember seeing the Monza race on Wide World of Sports, tape delayed, (if I recall) and, although the spectators and driver loss of life was mentioned, it was blown off with less caring than if a racehorse had fallen and broken its leg. The big story was that an American had won the World Championship no matter that it was because the lead driver was killed.

The Monza accident actually claimed more lives than the Mille Miglia, yet My impression is that the MM accident caused reams of bad publicity In Italy against motor racing. Mind you the 50s were bad in Italy with respect to drivers' deaths, Castelloti, Musso, Ascari and others.
I believe that the Pope intervened at one point, possibly the MM tragedy.Also Ferrari moved away somewhat from hiring young Italians.
I'm left to wonder why the Monza tragedy was somewhat downplayed, or is that just a false reading?

Stan Reid
10th March 2016, 00:03
The Monza accident actually claimed more lives than the Mille Miglia, yet My impression is that the MM accident caused reams of bad publicity In Italy against motor racing.

Five of those killed in the MM accident were children so maybe that had something to do with it.

Stan Reid
20th March 2016, 15:51
As best I can find, the first originally Indy 500 driver to compete in a regular Formula One World Championship Grand Prix race was Troy Ruttman who finished 10th in the 1958 French Grand Prix driving a Maserati.

D28
20th March 2016, 22:21
As best I can find, the first originally Indy 500 driver to compete in a regular Formula One World Championship Grand Prix race was Troy Ruttman who finished 10th in the 1958 French Grand Prix driving a Maserati.

That appears to be correct. Presumably the ride came about from contacts made at the Monza Race of Two worlds in 1957, where he won one of the heats. Surprising really is that others were not signed up. Roger Ward was interested and qualified, but his entry in the USGP the following year was self initiated with a midget car. This was to be Ruttman's only F1 start, he entered the 58 German GP but DNS. Travel times and low contracts probably discouraged many Indy drivers from perusing more F1 races. The talent was there all along.

Stan Reid
31st March 2016, 13:31
Roger Ward was interested and qualified, but his entry in the USGP the following year was self initiated with a midget car.

I believe this 1959 U. S. Grand Prix was the first and last time that an Offenhauser engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix event. The Goossen engine in the 1960 Scarab was a 4 cylinder engine out of the Meyer-Drake-Offenhauser organization but I don't think it could be called an Offy because it had a desmodromic valve system. I also believe that it was not a fixed-head or 4-valve engine - other "musts" for an Offy.

Stan Reid
31st March 2016, 14:58
I believe this 1959 U. S. Grand Prix was the first and last time that an Offenhauser engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix event. The Goosen engine in the 1960 Scarab was a 4 cylinder engine out of the Meyer-Drake-Offenhauser organization but I don't think it could be called an Offy because it had a desmodromic valve system. I also believe that it was not a fixed-head or 4-valve engine - other "musts" for an Offy.

Here's a "Ward-type" Formula 1 Offy engine-great sound! (full volume and headphones recommended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FM5JwuOgPI

D28
31st March 2016, 22:52
I believe this 1959 U. S. Grand Prix was the first and last time that an Offenhauser engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix event. The Goosen engine in the 1960 Scarab was a 4 cylinder engine out of the Meyer-Drake-Offenhauser organization but I don't think it could be called an Offy because it had a desmodromic valve system. I also believe that it was not a fixed-head or 4-valve engine - other "musts" for an Offy.

Very interesting. Most reports of the Scarab car casually refer to it as Offy powered, but i see the distinction that you point out.
Incidentally the 1960 Indy 500,an all Offy powered event would be the last outing for an Offy in World Championship races.

Stan Reid
31st March 2016, 23:40
Very interesting. Most reports of the Scarab car casually refer to it as Offy powered, but i see the distinction that you point out.
Incidentally the 1960 Indy 500,an all Offy powered event would be the last outing for an Offy in World Championship races.

And on the topic of lasts, I believe the 1960 Scarab was the last front engine rear drive car designed for Formula 1. Although out of date by the time it arrived on the grid, it was a neat little car-basically a 7/8 scale layover Indy roadster.

The last front engine car in F1 was the 1961 AWD Ferguson P99; another 4 cyl. (Coventry Climax this time) little honey.

Stan Reid
1st April 2016, 00:18
Firing up the Scarab-America's first Formula 1 car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aur0tH--6BM

Stan Reid
1st April 2016, 23:57
Roger Ward's Kurtis-Offenhauser that he ran in the 1959 U. S. Grand Prix World Championship race was built in 1946 so I think it was probably the last car to run in Formula 1 that was actually built before there was a Formula 1.

Stan Reid
3rd April 2016, 15:47
In a manner of speaking, the first and last time a midget racing car won a Formula 1 World Championship race was Lee Wallard's "stretched midget" in which he won the 1951 Indianapolis 500.

Stan Reid
3rd April 2016, 20:25

It was also the last turbine car to be entered in the 500. And to be totally accurate, I believe it did technically qualify the way they play it at Indy and was then bumped from the field by a faster car. At Indy if you complete a qualifying run, you are considered qualified until at least 33 cars turn in a faster time at which point you are considered as bumped (disqualified from the starting lineup).

Stan Reid
3rd April 2016, 21:33
In a manner of speaking, the first and last time a midget racing car won a Formula 1 World Championship race was Lee Wallard's "stretched midget" in which he won the 1951 Indianapolis 500.

Regarding non-championship races-Roger Ward, in his 1.7 liter Kurtis-Offenhauser midget, beat Chuck Daigh, driving a 2.5 liter Maserati 250F Formula 1 car, (and everyone else) in the 1959 Lime Rock open race.

931 Click to enlarge

Stan Reid
3rd April 2016, 22:54
First driver killed while leading a World Championship race: Bill Vukovich-1955 Indianapolis 500 (he's the one who goes over the fence and flips violently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjCm-23pL8

D28
4th April 2016, 00:33
Regarding non-championship races-Roger Ward, in his 1.7 liter Kurtis-Offenhauser midget, beat Chuck Daigh, driving a 2.5 liter Maserati 250F Formula 1 car, (and everyone else) in the 1959 Lime Rock open race.

931 Click to enlarge
I didn't realize that 1959 was such a banner year for Ward. He won at Indy, the Lime rock F Libre race and appeared at the USGP all in the same year. Such a shame he didn't have access to a proper Cooper or something similar for Sebring, he would have acquitted himself well. His only other F1 outing wasn't till 1963 at Watkins Glen in a Lotus-BRM. By then he was 42 and the car wasn't that competitive, he qualified 17th and was a DNF.

Stan Reid
4th April 2016, 03:01
The lasts of front wheel drive:

The last Formula 1 "legal" front wheel drive car to race in a World Championship event was the Blue Crown Spark Plug Special, a Deidt Offenhauser driven by Tony Bettenhausen in the 1952 Indianapolis 500; finishing 24th after starting 30th. Bettenhausen was only driving the car after crashing his primary car in practice.

The last front drive car to run in a World Championship race was the Novi Governor Special, a Kurtis Novi driven by Duke Nalon in the 1953 Indianapolis 500. It was not a legal Formula 1 car because it had a 3 liter supercharged engine - twice the size F1 allowed for blown engines. Nalon finished 11th after starting 26th.

The last front wheel drive car to attempt to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 was in 1967 when the race was no longer on the World Championship schedule. It was the Wynn's Spit-Fire, a Mickey Thompson machine with an MT DOHC Chevrolet engine. The car was driven by Gary Congdon in practice but it failed to qualify.

Stan Reid
4th April 2016, 22:25
The first Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders was Harry Schell's V2 JAP engined Cooper that he ran in the 1950 Monaco Grand Prix.

The last Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders (running in three World Championship Grand Prix events) was the 1971 Lotus 56 with a Pratt & Whitney turbine engine.

Stan Reid
4th April 2016, 22:35
The last Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders (running in three World Championship Grand Prix events) was the 1971 Lotus 56 with a Pratt & Whitney turbine engine.

I think it also might, in a fashion, be the last Indy car to run in a Formula 1 race.

Stan Reid
4th April 2016, 22:58
The first Formula 1 car with fewer than 4 cylinders was Harry Schell's V2 JAP engined Cooper that he ran in the 1950 Monaco Grand Prix.

In addition to being the first instance of an American running in a World Championshhip event, I believe it was the first and last time that a push rod engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix.

Stan Reid
4th April 2016, 23:11
In addition to being the first instance of an American running in a World Championshhip event, I believe it was the first and last time that a push rod engine ran in a regular Formula 1 World Championship Grand Prix.

From 1950-1960 the Indianapolis 500 was a World Championsip points event and in 1950 and 1952 Cummins Diesel ran I-6 push rod engines in that event but they were 401 cu. in. (6.6 liter) blown monsters that could only run there under special rules and were not "legal" Formula 1 cars. Jimmy Jackson's car in 1950 had a roots supercharger and Freddie Agabashian's mount in 1952 was turbocharged-the first tubocharged racing car I think. I believe it's safe to say that they were the biggest engines to ever compete in a World Championship event.

D28
5th April 2016, 15:28

Harry Schell wangled an entry for the Monaco GP, but set no practice time. His Cooper-Jap starting from the back thus was the first Cooper to start a F1 WC race, as well as the first rear engined entry, even though the car was definitely not a F1 car. All for naught as he failed to complete a lap being involved in a 9 car pile up on lap 1. Because he had no practice time, it is difficult to assess his lap times, but he would have been quite a bit off the pace.

Stan Reid
6th April 2016, 01:48
First driver killed while leading a World Championship race: Bill Vukovich-1955 Indianapolis 500 (he's the one who goes over the fence and flips violently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjCm-23pL8

Last driver (hopefully) to be killed leading a World Championship race: Ayrton Senna-1994 San Marino Grand Prix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCZIMwtooR4

D-Type
6th April 2016, 21:02
Harry Schell wangled an entry for the Monaco GP, but set no practice time. His Cooper-Jap starting from the back thus was the first Cooper to start a F1 WC race, as well as the first rear engined entry, even though the car was definitely not a F1 car. All for naught as he failed to complete a lap being involved in a 9 car pile up on lap 1. Because he had no practice time, it is difficult to assess his lap times, but he would have been quite a bit off the pace.The car was definitely not designed to be a Formula 1 car. But the Formula 1 rules were so loose in 1950, with no minimum weight or capacity and no dimensional requirements, that it did comply with the rules so it was a Formula 1 car that day. Likewise, when a Jaguar XK120 sports car ran in the Syracuse Grand Prix,
in that race it was a Formula 1 car.

Stan Reid
6th April 2016, 21:42
Top Fuel Dragster driver versatility firsts (corrections welcome):

Art Malone was the first Top Fuel Dragster driver to compete in Champ Car/Indy, running Championship Cars in 1962-65; including two Indianapolis 500s. He also competed in the Nascar Cup Series in 1961 and 1962.

John Andretti was the first Champ Car/Indy driver (1987-2011 including 12 Indianapolis 500s) to race a Top Fuel Dragster driving in the NHRA Series in 1993 for owner Jack Clark. He also competed in the Nascar Cup Series from 1993-2010.

Danny Ongais was the first Top Fuel Dragster driver to compete in Formula 1, racing in the 1977 and 1978 World Championship Grand Prix Series. He also ran in the Champ Car/Indy Series from 1976-1998; including 11 Indianapolis 500s.

Note: After seeing a Top Fuel Dragster race, Formula One World Champion Jack Brabham wanted to drive one of the cars but it never happened due to some conflict with sponsorship or insurance or contracts or whatever.

Stan Reid
6th April 2016, 23:32
First pilot to win unlimited races on both water (H-1 Hydroplanes) and in the air (Reno Unlimited Class): Mira Slovak

Corrections welcome

D28
7th April 2016, 15:11
The car was definitely not designed to be a Formula 1 car. But the Formula 1 rules were so loose in 1950, with no minimum weight or capacity and no dimensional requirements, that it did comply with the rules so it was a Formula 1 car that day. Likewise, when a Jaguar XK120 sports car ran in the Syracuse Grand Prix,
in that race it was a Formula 1 car.

Thanks. I admit to having difficulty describing exactly what Schell was driving that day.First I consulted Cooper Cars Doug Nye's bible on all things Cooper, then a story of his in Motor Sport and finally some back and forth in Autosport TNF. The issue is what engine was in the back, if it was as intended the 1100 cc twin, then it would no longer be a F3 car.
Correct? Some suggested pictures of the wreck showed possibly he still had the 500 cc motor in, that is why I didn't call it a F3 car.
In trying to be precise in wording, I got it wrong anyway. I assume it was the twin 1100 motor, but I can't really say at this point. Would such a mount be a F2 car, or did that exist in 1950?
As you say, rules were loose then, and with respect to Harry Schell, ordinary rules never seemed to apply.

Stan Reid
7th April 2016, 15:32
Thanks. I admit to having difficulty describing exactly what Schell was driving that day.First I consulted Cooper Cars Doug Nye's bible on all things Cooper, then a story of his in Motor Sport and finally some back and forth in Autosport TNF. The issue is what engine was in the back, if it was as intended the 1100 cc twin, then it would no longer be a F3 car.
Correct? Some suggested pictures of the wreck showed possibly he still had the 500 cc motor in, that is why I didn't call it a F3 car.
In trying to be precise in wording, I got it wrong anyway. I assume it was the twin 1100 motor, but I can't really say at this point. Would such a mount be a F2 car, or did that exist in 1950?
As you say, rules were loose then, and with respect to Harry Schell, ordinary rules never seemed to apply.

I think Schell's car could have legally run in F2 being under 2 liter and not supercharged.

This is the engine as best I can determine.934Click to enlarge

D-Type
7th April 2016, 16:18
1100cc Cooper-JAPs regularly competed in Formula 2 races. So I suppose a reasonable description of Schell's car would be an "1100cc Formula 2 Cooper-JAP"

As Schell drove a Cooper-JAP in the Formula 3 support race, there will be pictures of this car around to confuse the issue. The Monaco organisers would not have allowed him to run the same car in both races so the car must have had an 1100cc engine.

D28
7th April 2016, 19:12
1100cc Cooper-JAPs regularly competed in Formula 2 races. So I suppose a reasonable description of Schell's car would be an "1100cc Formula 2 Cooper-JAP"

As Schell drove a Cooper-JAP in the Formula 3 support race, there will be pictures of this car around to confuse the issue. The Monaco organisers would not have allowed him to run the -same car in both races so the car must have had an 1100cc engine.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/105811-1950-monaco-the-cooper-entry/

This link from 8 years or so includes the back and forth I described, including a comment from one D-Type. Some claim the photos suggest the same car in the F3 race and the GP.
I find it unlikely Schell wouldn't use the bigger engine, but with him how could one be sure?
Also it seems Harry was adept at manipulating race organizers, the 1959 USGP comes to mind, so maybe he did start with the F3 car. I remain confused, but admit it doesn't matter too much, as he didn't travel very far. The 2 records I mentioned above still stand.

D-Type
8th April 2016, 23:09
I'd clean forgotten that discussion and that there were any questions about Schell's Cooper.

On the original theme, another 2-cylinder Formula 1 car was the pair of front wheel drive supercharged 750cc DB-Panhards that ran in the 1955 Pau GP with conspicuous lack of success and were never seen again.

Stan Reid
11th April 2016, 00:26

Until I find out different, I'm also going to say that Schell's car was the first and last time a chain drive car ran in a World Championship event.

937Click to enlarge

Stan Reid
11th April 2016, 01:02
The first rear/mid engine Grand Prix car was the Benz Type RH which first raced in the 1923 Italian Grand Prix. One of the cars, driven by Ferdinando Minoia, came in fourth behind a couple of Fiats and a Miller 122 driven by American Jimmy Murphy.

Stan Reid
11th April 2016, 01:39
The first 4WD (AWD) Grand Prix car was a Miller that finished seventh in the 1934 Tripoli Grand Prix driven by Pete De Paolo.

Stan Reid
11th April 2016, 02:10
The first 4WD (AWD) Grand Prix car was a Miller that finished seventh in the 1934 Tripoli Grand Prix driven by Pete De Paolo.

The last AWD car to compete in a WC race was the Lotus Turbine in the 1971 Italian Grand Prix. The car was also the first and last turbine to run in F1, I believe.

Stan Reid
11th April 2016, 02:27
Until I find out different, I'm also going to say the Schell's car was the first and last time a chain drive car ran in a World Championship event.

Probably the first air cooled car to compete in a WC event as well.

Stan Reid
12th April 2016, 00:21
Probably the first air cooled car to compete in a WC event as well.

I believe the last air cooled engine car to race in an F1 WC event, not counting the Lotus Turbine in 1971, was the Honda RA302 V8 in 1968. The car ran two laps in the French Grand Prix before killing driver Jo Schlesser.

Stan Reid
14th April 2016, 01:53
The first rear/mid engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the AWD Gulf-Miller 6 driven by George Bailey in 1939. He came in 26th after dropping a valve.

The last front engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the RWD Mallard-Offenhauser 4 driven by Jim Hurtubise in 1968. He came in 30th after burning a piston.

D28
17th April 2016, 03:45
The first rear/mid engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the AWD Gulf-Miller 6 driven by George Bailey in 1939. He came in 26th after dropping a valve.

The last front engine car to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was the RWD Mallard-Offenhauser 4 driven by Jim Hurtubise in 1968. He came in 30th after burning a piston.
Discussion on another racing blog mentions several rear engined cars at Indy in addition to the Gulf-Miller cars of 1939. The 1946 Fageol Twin Coach Special of 1946 used 2 engines and AWD and was quick enough to start from the 1st row. Another one was the Rounds Rocket of 1949 which failed to qualify. All this suggests the idea of a rear/mid engined car was around for quite a while before John Cooper and Jack Brabham clearly demonstrated the advantages in 1961. Like other foreign teams trying Indy for the first time, unfamiliarity with American wheels and tires hampered their efforts. Brabham could have finished much higher than 9th had they calculated tire wear and necessary stops better, or perhaps fitted Firestones rather than Dunlops.

Anyway the successful run paved the way for more determined efforts, and Dan Gurney pitched the idea to Mickey Thompson then Colin Chapman and Ford.
So the revolution of 1961 actually was more an evolution of ideas, but carried out with much greater success.

Stan Reid
17th April 2016, 15:00
As best I can tell, Schell's JAP engine was the first transverse mounted powerplant to compete in a F1 WC event. And, the last was the V12 Honda RA272 that ran most of the races in 1965. Corrections welcome.

Stan Reid
17th April 2016, 15:22
Although pre-WC, I think the first F1 Grand Prix race won by a non-Caucasian was the 1948 Grand Prix de Zandvoort won by Prince B. Bira of Siam driving a Maserati.

Stan Reid
18th April 2016, 01:23
According to some sources, the first official Formula 1 race was the Nice Grand Prix on April 22 of 1946. If this is true then the first Formula 1 driver to compete in the Indianapolis 500 was Luigi Villoresi. He won the Nice race in a 1.5 liter supercharged Maserati 4CL and, 6 weeks later, completed the 500 miles at Indy in a 3 liter supercharged Maserati 8CL; coming home in seventh place.

Stan Reid
19th April 2016, 13:40
The first and last driver awarded a World Driving Championship point after his death: Bill Vukovich-1955 Indianapolis 500

The first and last driver to become Formula 1 World Driving Champion after his death: Jochen Rindt-1970

Stan Reid
20th April 2016, 23:23
Until I find otherwise, I'm going to say that the first race won by a car with a turbocharged racing engine was the California 200 run at Hanford Speedway on March 17 of 1968. The event was won by Gordon Johncock driving a Gerhardt powered by a 168 cu. in. 4 cyl. turbocharged Offenhauser engine.

Stan Reid
23rd April 2016, 20:57
First Grand Prix winner to be executed:

Robert Benoist, winner of the 1927 French Grand Prix and more, for sabotage in occupied France at Buchenwald, Germany concentration camp in 1944.

Last Grand Prix winner to be executed:

William Grover-Williams, winner of the 1928 French Grand Prix and more, for sabotage in occupied France at Sachsenhausen, Germany concentration camp in 1945.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
1st May 2016, 02:34
First overhead cam engine to win the Indianapolis 500 was Peugeot in 1913 driven by Jules Goux.

Last non-overhead cam engine to win the Indianapolis 500 was Mercedes Benz in 1994 driven by Al Unser Jr.

Stan Reid
2nd May 2016, 00:41
The first American Grand Prize (Prix) was a 16 lap/402 mile race held at Savannah, Georgia in 1908. Louis Wagner won the event driving a Fiat. The highest finishing American driver was Louis Strang in a Renault who was 6th and the highest finishing American car was an 11th place finishing Simplex driven by Joe Seymour. Ralph de Palma had the fastest lap, getting his Fiat around the 25+ mile course in 21 minutes and 36.0 seconds.

D28
3rd May 2016, 14:17
An interesting addition here would be the first father/Son winners in a Grand Prix, or major international race. On the European front my candidates would be the duo of Antonio and Alberto Ascari, and the year 1948 when Alberto won the San Remo GP. There may well be others.
On the American side, I don't see any Indy combinations as early as 1948, but there are many other series I am unfamiliar with. Stan, do you know any father-son winners in a major race, before 1948?

Stan Reid
4th May 2016, 00:47
An interesting addition here would be the first father/Son winners in a Grand Prix, or major international race. On the European front my candidates would be the duo of Antonio and Alberto Ascari, and the year 1948 when Alberto won the San Remo GP. There may well be others.
On the American side, I don't see any Indy combinations as early as 1948, but there are many other series I am unfamiliar with. Stan, do you know any father-son winners in a major race, before 1948?

That looks like a good bet to me D28.

Interestingly, the first Indy 500 field to contain two brothers was the first Indianpolis 500 in 1911 when both Bill and Harry Endicott were in the starting lineup.

D28
4th May 2016, 16:51
The Indy 500 has had no shortage of father/son combinations, but not winning ones. The first was 1992 when Al Unser Jr won; he was also the last.
I looked at Pikes Peak and saw many uncle, nephew, brother winners, all named Unser, but I didn't really see a father/son duo until 1983 when again Al Unser Jr succeeded his dad.

Stan Reid
4th May 2016, 19:44
I looked at Pikes Peak and saw many uncle, nephew, brother winners, all named Unser, but I didn't really see a father/son duo until 1983 when again Al Unser Jr succeeded his dad.

I looked at Pikes Peak as well, just in case, and found the same. It was never a points paying event as far as I know but it was listed on the Champ Car (Indy Car) schedule, at least until the latter part of the 20th Century.

Stan Reid
4th May 2016, 20:02
Interestingly, the first Indy 500 field to contain two brothers was the first Indianpolis 500 in 1911 when both Bill and Harry Endicott were in the starting lineup.

First and last? In the 1930 Indy 500, brothers Cy Marshall (driver) and Paul Marshall (riding mechanic) were in the same car. Unfortunately, they had a crash in the event and Paul was killed.

D-Type
5th May 2016, 21:10
I looked at Pikes Peak as well, just in case, and found the same. It was never a points paying event as far as I know but it was listed on the Champ Car (Indy Car) schedual, at least until the latter part of the 20th Century.
I'm pretty sure that Pike's Peak did count for AAA Championship points from 1948 to 1955 but not after USAC took over in 1956 or CART in 1979

Stan Reid
5th May 2016, 21:25
I'm pretty sure that Pike's Peak did count for AAA Championship points from 1948 to 1955 but not after USAC took over in 1956 or CART in 1979

Thanks D-Type. I didn't start to seriously follow racing until 1958 (heard Jimmy Bryan win the Indy 500 on the radio that year) so I was never familiar with the AAA points system.

Starter
5th May 2016, 21:41
i could be mistaken, but I don't believe that CART ever had any involvement with Pikes Peak or in counting it toward their championship.

Stan Reid
5th May 2016, 22:16
My firsts in following racing:

The first race I attended was a local jalopy type stock car race in about 1949. I was only about 3 years old so all I remember is a lot of crashes and some fires.

The first major race I attended was an IMCA Big Car (the old name for sprint cars) race in 1951 at Peoria Exposition Gardens. Frank Luptow was the feature winner.

First race on radio-1958 Indy 500 won by Jimmy Bryan.

First USAC Championship Race attended-the Springfield 100 won by Len Sutton in 1959.

First event attended at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway-1964 pole qualifying day-saw Jim Clark take pole position.

First Formula One race attended-1979 U. S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen won by Gilles Villeneuve.

All five drivers I listed above entered at least one World Championship event.

Stan Reid
6th May 2016, 13:22
The first driver to compete in the Indianapolis 500 with only one leg was Al Miller.

The last one legged Indy 500 driver was Cal Niday.

The only other Indy 500 driver to run with a prosthetic leg was Bill Schindler.

Stan Reid
6th May 2016, 20:24
Thanks D-Type. I didn't start to seriously follow racing until 1958 (heard Jimmy Bryan win the Indy 500 on the radio that year) so I was never familiar with the AAA points system.

It looks like the AAA points were the same as USAC except that USAC didn't award points in races that were scheduled to run fewer than 100 miles.

Stan Reid
7th May 2016, 02:12
The Indy 500 has had no shortage of father/son combinations, but not winning ones. The first was 1992 when Al Unser Jr won; he was also the last.

There have been two (and soon three) father-son-grandson racers in the Indy 500-Bill Vukovich Sr., Bill Jr. plus Bill III and Andretti-Mario, Michael and Marco. This year, Matthew Brabham is scheduled to start to add to dad Geoff and grandpa Jack.

Stan Reid
7th May 2016, 02:43
The first Unser to race in a World Championship event-Jerry Jr.(1958 Indianapolis 500)

The last Unser to race in a World Championship event-Bobby(1968 U.S. Grand Prix)

Stan Reid
7th May 2016, 23:37
The first time three World Championship event drivers were killed in racing crashes on the same day-July 29 of 1951-Cecil Green, Bill Mackey and Walt Brown

The last time three World Championship event drivers were killed in racing crashes on the same day-June 19 of 1960-Chris Bristow, Alan Stacey and Jimmy Bryan

Corrections welcome

D28
8th May 2016, 04:29
The first Unser to race in a World Championship event-Jerry Jr.(1958 Indianapolis 500)

The last Unser to race in a World Championship event-Bobby(1968 U.S. Grand Prix)

I had forgotten Bobby Unser's appearance at the 68 USGP, though I witnessed it; safe to say his F1 career wasn't a huge success. Just recently I learned that this was not his first F1 outing; both he and Mario Andretti were entered in the 68 Italian GP for BRM and Team Lotus respectively. They practiced at Monza on Fri, Andretti setting a very quick time for Lotus, Unser's time, I do not know. Both flew home together to race in the Hoosier 100 on Sat, then flew back to Monza for Sunday morning. Race officials promptly disqualified both from the Grand Prix because they had raced elsewhere within 24 hours. Andretti's time from Fri would still have been good enough for a 7th grid position. The heavy hand of Ferrari is suspected, either directly protesting both drivers, or influencing race officials to ban them.
It was Andretti, not Unser they were concerned about, and with good reason, he put the same Lotus on pole for the USGP a few weeks later. This race was Unser's first and last start in F1.

Stan Reid
12th May 2016, 23:05
I believe (correction welcome) the first father-son racers in the Indianapolis 500 were Earl Devore (1925-1928) and Billy Devore (1937-1948).

Billy was also the first driver to race a 6-wheeled car in the Indianapolis 500 (1948).

Earl was the first and last Indianapolis 500 driver to die being eaten by a shark (1928).

D28
13th May 2016, 15:14
Interesting. If the criteria were changed to father/son running a major international race, could the Devores be the first? They would be quite a bit earlier than the Ascaris by about 10 years.

Stan Reid
13th May 2016, 21:08
Interesting. If the criteria were changed to father/son running a major international race, could the Devores be the first? They would be quite a bit earlier than the Ascaris by about 10 years.

I would go with that right now D28. Earl actually won a major event; the 250 mi./400km. AAA Championship race on the 1.25 mi./2 km. board track near Charlotte NC in 1926. I don't see any wins on that level by Billy, born Louis Devore. The younger Devore did enter two World Championship races; the 1950 and 1954 Indianapolis 500s but he failed to qualify on both occasions. Years before 1937, when Billy began driving in the Indianapolis 500, he was a riding mechanic in the event.

Stan Reid
15th May 2016, 14:04
The first and last engine purpose built for the Indianapolis 500 that was later modified to race in Formula 1 was the 1964 Ford 4-cam V-8 Indy engine that was later downsized and raced in the McLaren during the 1966 F1 season.

Correction welcome

D28
15th May 2016, 21:41
The first and last engine purpose built for the Indianapolis 500 that was later modified to race in Formula 1 was the 1964 Ford 4-cam V-8 Indy engine that was later downsized and raced in the McLaren during the 1966 F1 season.

Correction welcome
And it must be said the conversion was a disaster for F1 racing. the engine and gearbox were too heavy and the hp inadequate. A rare dead end for McLaren, as Bruce spent most of the 66 season trying to get the Ford unit to work. Ironically, he had a lot of experience with the Traco modified Olds engine in sports cars, the same block that Brabham and Repco used to win 2 World Championships. A Ford F1 effort was being pursued independently by Colin Chapman and Cosworth, and evolved into the most successful F1 engine ever. McLaren eventually acquired one of these and things were fine, but first they had to go through the Ford, Serenissima and BRM engines on the way.

Stan Reid
16th May 2016, 20:40
Six wheel -three axle cars as best I can tell:

First 6 wheel/3 axle circuit racing car to compete in a major series=Pat Clancy Special Kurtis Offenhauser in the 1948-1949 AAA Championship=2-4 layout=Driven by Billy Devore, Jackie Holmes and Mack Hellings=Best finish - 4th in the 1949 Milwaukee 100 by Jackie Holmes

Last 6 wheel/3 axle circuit racing car to compete in a major series=Tyrrell P34 Cosworth in the 1976-1977 Formula 1 World Championship=4-2 layout=Driven by Jody Scheckter, Patrick Depailler and Ronnie Peterson=Best finish - 1st in the 1976 Swedish Grand Prix by Jody Scheckter

Stan Reid
20th May 2016, 15:43
I didn't realize that 1959 was such a banner year for Ward. He won at Indy, the Lime rock F Libre race and appeared at the USGP all in the same year. Such a shame he didn't have access to a proper Cooper or something similar for Sebring, he would have acquitted himself well. His only other F1 outing wasn't till 1963 at Watkins Glen in a Lotus-BRM. By then he was 42 and the car wasn't that competitive, he qualified 17th and was a DNF.

I actually saw Ward race in the 1959 Springfield 100 but his luck ran out that day. Four laps into the race, he burned a piston (probably too much nitro) and "finished" in last place.

Stan Reid
25th May 2016, 02:00
And it must be said the conversion was a disaster for F1 racing. the engine and gearbox were too heavy and the hp inadequate. A rare dead end for McLaren, as Bruce spent most of the 66 season trying to get the Ford unit to work. Ironically, he had a lot of experience with the Traco modified Olds engine in sports cars, the same block that Brabham and Repco used to win 2 World Championships. A Ford F1 effort was being pursued independently by Colin Chapman and Cosworth, and evolved into the most successful F1 engine ever. McLaren eventually acquired one of these and things were fine, but first they had to go through the Ford, Serenissima and BRM engines on the way.

Yes, the McLaren-Ford could do no better than a 5th place in the U.S. Grand Prix.

D28
25th May 2016, 03:06
Yes, the McLaren-Ford could do no better than a 5th place in the U.S. Grand Prix.

I had forgotten that result. Still a quick comparison with the Cosworth engine in F1 would read:
Ford Indy Engine 2 points Ford-Cosworth Engine 4336 points.

Of course the Indy engine was very good at what it was designed for, which was not F1.

Stan Reid
26th May 2016, 21:49
Harry Schell wangled an entry for the Monaco GP, but set no practice time. His Cooper-Jap starting from the back thus was the first Cooper to start a F1 WC race, as well as the first rear engined entry, even though the car was definitely not a F1 car. All for naught as he failed to complete a lap being involved in a 9 car pile up on lap 1. Because he had no practice time, it is difficult to assess his lap times, but he would have been quite a bit off the pace.

Although it was the first rear engine to race, I believe the first rear engined car to enter and practice for a World Championship Race (the 1950 Indianapolis 500) was the Rounds Rocket, a Lesovsky-Diedt Offenhauser. Indy practice began on May 1 of 1950 (almost 3 weeks before Monaco FP1) and the car was driven by both Sam Hanks and Bill Vukovich. Neither of the two future winners could get the car up to qualifying speed. The Rounds Rocket was a 4.5 liter normally aspirated racer so it was fully Formula 1 legal. I believe Al Miller also practiced one of the old Gulf-Millers in early May and it failed to qualify as well.

974 Click to enlarge
Rounds Rocket

A beautiful machine ahead of its time, I'd say.

D28
27th May 2016, 01:37
A beautiful machine ahead of its time, I'd say.

I agree and if those two couldn't get it into the show, then no one could. This was the second year of trying as the car debuted in 1949(post #67)

Stan Reid
27th May 2016, 13:35
I agree and if those two couldn't get it into the show, then no one could. This was the second year of trying as the car debuted in 1949(post #67)

Yes, rookie Bill Taylor was the driver in 1949 and was only about one mph short of making the field even though the car was excessively heavy. Taylor returned to the track in years following 1949 but never qualified for the race. In 1950, Hanks went on to qualify a conventional car and Vukovich tried to qualify a Maserati but didn't make the field in that either.

Stan Reid
27th May 2016, 21:53
There have been two (and soon three) father-son-grandson racers in the Indy 500-Bill Vukovich Sr., Bill Jr. plus Bill III and Andretti-Mario, Michael and Marco. This year, Matthew Brabham is scheduled to start to add to dad Geoff and grandpa Jack.

Matt Brabham is set to start this year's Indy 500 from the 27th position. There is one other "sorta" three generation family group of Indy 500 starters. Foyt adopted his grandson so A.J., his stepson (bio grandson) Larry and grandson A.J. Foyt IV would be three generations on paper but not biologically.

D-Type
28th May 2016, 20:46
Please explain the AJ Foyt family more clearly - I'm totally confused. :confused:

Stan Reid
28th May 2016, 21:55
Please explain the AJ Foyt family more clearly - I'm totally confused. :confused:

Yes, Larry Foyt is Indy winner Foyt's biological grandson who he adopted as his stepson after some sort of family issue. Larry is also A.J. Foyt IV's cousin as well as his step-uncle. Larry's biological mother is also his step-sister. That clears it up I'm sure.:D

Stan Reid
28th May 2016, 23:18
First and last car to win both a Nascar Championship and an Indianapolis 500:

The 1939 Wetteroth Offenhauser won the 1941 Indianapolis 500 with Floyd Davis and Mauri Rose sharing the wheel. In 1952, the same car, now with a Cadillac engine, won the championship in Nascar's short lived Speedway Division; this time with Buck Baker driving.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 00:23
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with two American drivers was the 1953 Belgian Grand Prix with Harry Schell and Fred Wacker.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 00:28
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with more than two American drivers was the 1958 French Grand Prix with 4 - Harry Schell, Troy Ruttman, Phil Hill and Carroll Shelby.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 00:46
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with five American drivers was the 1959 Portuguese Grand Prix with Harry Schell, Phil Hill, Carroll Shelby, Masten Gregory and Dan Gurney.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 00:51
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first World Championship Grand Prix with six American drivers was the 1959 United States Grand Prix with Harry Schell, Phil Hill, Roger Ward, Harry Blanchard, George Constantine and Bob Said.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 01:03
First and last non American to compete in the World Championship era Indianapolis 500 (1950-1960) - Alberto Ascari of Italy in 1952.

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 01:25
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first American to finish on the podium a World Championship Grand Prix was Masten Gregory who finished third in the 1957 Monaco Grand Prix.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 01:29
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first American to finish second in a World Championship Grand Prix was Harry Schell in the 1958 Dutch Grand Prix.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 01:39
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first American to win in a World Championship Grand Prix was Phil Hill in the 1960 Italian Grand Prix. It was also the first time Americans finished 1-2 (WC) with Richie Ginther in the runner up spot.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
26th June 2016, 01:50
Not counting the Indianapolis 500, the first time two Americans finished on the podium a World Championship Grand Prix was the 1959 German Grand Prix with Dan Gurney/second and Phil Hill/third following winner Tony Brooks.

Corrections welcome

D-Type
29th June 2016, 21:34
Pre- World Championship, Jimmy Murphy and Ralph DePalma were 1st and 2nd in the 1921 French GP

Stan Reid
5th July 2016, 02:40
The last (mechanically driven) supercharged Championship (Indy) Car to win a race in that series was Roger Ward's #8 Wolcott Special that won the 1957 Rex Mays 100 at Milwaukee. It was a Lesovsky roadster with a 170 cubic inch Offenhauser engine that was boosted with a centrifugal type supercharger.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
5th July 2016, 14:37
The last major race won by a car with a straight eight engine - the October 16, 1955 Targa Florio won by Stirling Moss and Peter Collins in a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
5th July 2016, 15:36
The first and last NASCAR premier series (now Sprint Cup) race won by a car with an OHC engine was the 1954 International 100 in Linden, New Jersey won by Al Keller in a Jaguar XK-120.

Corrections welcome

Stan Reid
9th July 2016, 23:36
The last (mechanically driven) supercharged Championship (Indy) Car to win a race in that series was Roger Ward's #8 Wolcott Special that won the 1957 Rex Mays 100 at Milwaukee. It was a Lesovsky roadster with a 170 cubic inch Offenhauser engine that was boosted with a centrifugal type supercharger.

Here's the car. If you are wondering how the engine and driver can be on the same side of the chassis in an upright roadster, it's because the Offy was mounted on about a 15 degree angle which allowed the driveshaft to pass to the outside of the driver's right hip.

1017 Click to enlarge

Stan Reid
1st September 2016, 01:43
The first turbocharged racing car to start on the pole in a World Championship event was Freddie Agabasian's Kurtis Kraft/Cummins Diesel Special in the 1952 Indianapolis 500. It would not happen again until Jean-Pierre Jabouille started P1 in the turbo Renault at the 1979 South African Grand Prix.

Stan Reid
1st September 2016, 02:43
Corrections welcome

I believe the first and last time two drivers were killed in the same car at the same event:

Johnny Hannon was killed in practice for the 1935 Indianapolis 500 driving Leon Duray's entry. Clay Weatherly was then put in the repaired car, qualified for the event and then crashed in the race and was also killed.

Stan Reid
29th September 2016, 00:29
{Corrections welcome}

First all front engine WC event-1950 British GP
Last all front engine F1 WC event-1957 Italian GP
Last all front engine WC event-1960 Indianapolis 500
First all rear engine WC event-1961 Monaco GP

First rear engine win in a WC event-Stirling Moss/Cooper-Climax=1958 Argentine GP
Last front engine win in a WC event-Phil Hill/Ferrari=1960 Italian GP

Stan Reid
29th September 2016, 01:13
On the original theme, another 2-cylinder Formula 1 car was the pair of front wheel drive supercharged 750cc DB-Panhards that ran in the 1955 Pau GP with conspicuous lack of success and were never seen again.

I think this is it-

1086 Click to enlarge

These two cars were the slowest and third slowest qualifiers in this non-championship F1 event. The "fast" one (it finished in 10th place-8 laps down and the last car still running) did manage to out qualify a 7-year-old Maserati 4CLT/48 (sans supercharger I presume). It actually doesn't look too bad.

Stan Reid
29th September 2016, 03:19
{corrections welcome}

The last cars to race in the Monaco Grand Prix with more than a 305 cubic inch (5 liter) engine:

A pair of 331 cubic inch Chrysler engined Allard J2Xs in 1952.

The GP was not a WC event that year.

Stan Reid
29th September 2016, 15:41
{corrections welcome}

The first Indy 500 with all front engine cars-1911
The last Indy 500 with all front engine cars-1960

The first Indy 500 with no front engine cars (including one side engine turbine)-1967
The first Indy 500 with all rear engine cars-1969

Stan Reid
29th September 2016, 20:53
{corrections welcome}

The last cars to race in the Monaco Grand Prix with more than a 305 cubic inch (5 liter) engine:

A pair of 331 cubic inch Chrysler engined Allard J2Xs in 1952.

The GP was not a WC event that year.

Lapping Monaco in a big "Detriot Iron" Allard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTecSVoyDY

Stan Reid
30th September 2016, 00:18
It was also the last turbine car to be entered in the 500. And to be totally accurate, I believe it did technically qualify the way they play it at Indy and was then bumped from the field by a faster car. At Indy if you complete a qualifying run, you are considered qualified until at least 33 cars turn in a faster time at which point you are considered as bumped (disqualified from the starting lineup).

Correction regarding this 1969 entry-It was not the last turbine! Jack Adams entered rear engine Glen Bryant chassis/Pratt & Whitney turbines for Indy in both 1970 and 1971 with driver Rick Muther (1970 for driver Jigger Sirois also). They failed to qualify both years but ran in several other USAC Championship events with a best finish of 8th in the 1970 Trenton 200. The car's last run was in the Milwaukee 100 on June 6 of 1971 but it dropped out of that race. Muther was at the controls in both the above mentioned races.

Note: Some sources list the car as an Eagle or a Gerhardt and the turbine as an Allison so take your pick-it's the last turbine at any rate unless I find otherwise.

D28
30th September 2016, 00:41
Stan: I am looking for the last Indy winning chassis built in USA. A magazine article on Gordon Johncock mentions his 1982 Wildcat as being the last. However, G Force and Panoz G Force have 4 wins later than that. The question is were these cars constructed in the US?
Data on the net indicates the companies were US based, but what is the real story?
Does if come down to definitions?

Stan Reid
30th September 2016, 00:50
Correction regarding this 1969 entry-It was not the last turbine! Jack Adams entered rear engine Glen Bryant chassis/Pratt & Whitney turbines for Indy in both 1970 and 1971 with driver Rick Muther (1970 for driver Jigger Sirois also) . They failed to qualify both years but ran in several other USAC Championship events with a best finish of 8th in the 1970 Trenton 200. The car's last run was in the Milwaukee 100 on June 6 of 1971 but it dropped out of that race. Muther was at the controls in both the above mentioned races.

Note: Some sources list the car as an Eagle or a Gerhardt and the turbine as an Allison so take your pick-it's the last turbine at any rate unless I find otherwise.

Here's the car looking good in 1970 with Jigger Sirois seated.

1087 Click

Stan Reid
30th September 2016, 01:10
Stan: I am looking for the last Indy winning chassis built in USA. A magazine article on Gordon Johncock mentions his 1982 Wildcat as being the last. However, G Force and Panoz G Force have 4 wins later than that. The question is were these cars constructed in the US?
Data on the net indicates the companies were US based, but what is the real story?
Does if come down to definitions?

I don't know if those cars were actually built in the U.S.-good question:confused:

Stan Reid
30th September 2016, 01:45
The first car entered in the Indy 500 with more than 1000 claimed horsepower (some sources say as high as 1350) was the GE turbine engined Epperly driven by Bill Cheesbourg in 1966. It had deceleration problems and failed to qualify.

The last car(s) with more than 1000 horsepower (1024 reported) entered in the Indy 500 were the 1994 Illmor-Mercedes-Benz Penskes driven by winner Al Unser Jr., Emerson Fittipaldi and Paul Tracy.

D28
30th September 2016, 02:03
This link states that the Panoz G Force was designed in UK and built in Georgia USA.
Don't know how reliable it is.

https://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/other/irl-new-panoz-g-force-breaks-cover?artid=6094

Starter
30th September 2016, 04:09
This link states that the Panoz G Force was designed in UK and built in Georgia USA.
Don't know how reliable it is.

https://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/other/irl-new-panoz-g-force-breaks-cover?artid=6094
Dallara has a facility near Indy. I don't know if the cars are built there or if its just a parts distribution place.

Swifts were also US built, but I don't think they ever won at Indy.

Stan Reid
30th September 2016, 13:49
How about Al Jr.'s 1992 winning Galmer?

I think the first foreign chassis to "take over" Championship (Indy) cars was March.

Starter
30th September 2016, 16:58
Lola maybe?

Stan Reid
30th September 2016, 20:34
The first passive ground effect car-the 1977 Lotus 78 F1 car.

The first "full" passive ground effect Championship (Indy) car-the 1979 Chaparral 2K

Stan Reid
3rd October 2016, 22:59
First non F1 car to win a WC event-Piero Taruffi driving a Ferrari 500 F2 car in the 1952 Swiss Grand Prix

First WC event won by a non F1 legal car-Bill Vukovich driving a Kurtis Kraft/Offenhauser in the 1954 Indianapolis 500

D28
4th October 2016, 00:00
First WC event won by a non F1 legal car-Bill Vukovich driving a Kurtis Kraft/Offenhauser in the 1954 Indianapolis 500

OK I will bite and ask. Why is Johnnie Parson's 1950 Kurtis Kraft Offy not the answer here.
Would it have been eligible for F1 in 1950-51?

Stan Reid
4th October 2016, 00:20
OK I will bite and ask. Why is Johnnie Parson's 1950 Kurtis Kraft Offy not the answer here.
Would it have been eligible for F1 in 1950-51?

I'm almost certain it would since it was a 4.5 liter normally aspirated car which was the limit in Formula 1 in 1950-53 (If that doesn't make it a F1 legal car, I'd be interested to know why and would stand corrected). The regular WC GPs in 52 and 53 were run under F2 rules but the legal F1 cars those years (while relegated to non-Championship events and Indy) were still 4.5 liter vehicles.

Stan Reid
4th October 2016, 00:47
I think this is it-

1086 Click to enlarge

These two cars were the slowest and third slowest qualifiers in this non-championship F1 event. The "fast" one (it finished in 10th place-8 laps down and the last car still running) did manage to out qualify a 7-year-old Maserati 4CLT/48. It actually doesn't look too bad.

The only other car I can find that ran under the 750 cc supercharged limit in F1 was a Giaur (Giannini-Urania) that competed in the 1954 Rome GP non-Championship Formula One race. Driven by Berardo Taraschi, it (#34) was listed in 11th place after dropping out on the 5th lap. It "finished" ahead of 4 cars; three that dropped out earlier and one that was a DNS. On paper, it seems to have much more potential than the (Deutsch-Bonnet) DB Panhard. There were one or two other 750 cc supercharged F1 cars built (Gleed-MG for instance) but I can't find that they ever ran in a Formula 1 race.

This is not the exact car (I don't believe) but I think this car and engine are basically it sans supercharger:

Stan Reid
4th October 2016, 01:19
This might be the Giaur F1-right number (34) at least:

D28
4th October 2016, 02:04
Re 1950 winning kurtis Kraft Offy:
OK I see the car listed as a 270 cu in about 4.4l just under the limit for 50-51. After the return to F1 in 1954, the limit was 2.5l.

There were very few other specifications in the original F1 formula, I gather. D-Type mentioned here previously that the Cooper-Jap Harry Schell raced for part of a lap at Monaco actually would qualify as a F1 car under these regulations. A bit more simpler then!
Thanks for the information.

Stan Reid
5th October 2016, 03:14
Here's the Giaur 750 cc F1 type engine with front mounted Roots-style supercharger.

1092 Click to enlarge

Stan Reid
2nd November 2016, 13:23
The first driver to complete the Indianapolis 500 without a pit stop: Dave Evans who came in 13th in 1931. Also in the car was riding mechanic Thane Houser.

The last driver to complete the Indianapolis 500 without a pit stop: Johnny Mantz who came in 7th in 1949. Jimmie Jackson also completed the race that year without a pit stop and finished one position ahead of Mantz.

Note: The only other driver to complete the Indianapolis 500 without a pit stop was Cliff Bergere who came in 5th in 1941.

D-Type
3rd November 2016, 12:29
Dave Evans drove the first diesel to run at Indianapolis.

Stan Reid
3rd November 2016, 20:13

And he ran the entire race on 30 gallons of fuel!

Stan Reid
5th November 2016, 01:01

Fred Agabashian drove the last diesel at Indy and in a WC event-the Cummins Diesel Special in 1952-it was also the first turbocharged racing car to compete anywhere. Here he is smoking the tires almost all the way round to win pole position for the 52 race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYOnyLKE3WU

{corrections welcome}

D-Type
5th November 2016, 23:21
The largest capacity entrant in any WDC race. And, I think, the heaviest. Because of its weight and consequent heavy tyre consumption it was unable to do many laps at its qualifying pace.

Stan Reid
6th November 2016, 00:13
The last time front engined cars ran in a scheduled 500 mile Indy car race-Pocono 1981

1110Click to enlarge

That's George Snider in the foreground and Duke Cook in the dirt track car.

{corrections welcome}

Stan Reid
8th November 2016, 01:00
First turbine powered car to run in a Championship (Indy) car race: 1967 Indianapolis 500-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Parnelli Jones to 6th place

Last turbine powered car to run in a Championship (Indy) car race*: 1971 Milwaukee 150-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Rick Muther to 24th place

*If you include Championship dirt track racing then: 1972 DuQuoin 100-Allison engine driven by Jigger Sirois to a 3rd place finish

{corrections welcome}

Stan Reid
8th November 2016, 01:20
First turbine powered car to run in a WC Formula 1 race*: June 1971 Dutch GP-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Rob Walker to 22nd place

*If you include non-Championship F1 races then: March 1971 Race of Champions-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Emerson Fittipaldi to 12th place

Last turbine powered car to run in a Formula 1 race: September 1971 Italian GP-Pratt & Whitney engine driven by Emerson Fittipaldi to 8th place

{corrections welcome}

Stan Reid
8th November 2016, 01:48
I had forgotten that result. Still a quick comparison with the Cosworth engine in F1 would read:
Ford Indy Engine 2 points Ford-Cosworth Engine 4336 points.

Of course the Indy engine was very good at what it was designed for, which was not F1.

Conversely, the Ford Indy engine had some marked success in dirt track racing. The trick was to swap sides on the cylinder heads so the header pipes wouldn't be blowing directly into the driver's face. Here's Big Al's version:

1113Click to enlarge

D28
8th November 2016, 02:31
Conversely, the Ford Indy engine had some marked success in dirt track racing. The trick was to swap sides on the cylinder heads so the header pipes wouldn't be blowing directly into the driver's face. Here's Big Al's version:

1113Click to enlarge

Very interesting. I was unaware the front engined dirt cars used the DOHC Indy motor. Am I correct that this would be a very expensive motor for this class of racing. I thought they simply used tuned push rod engines as in many other racing applications,

The front layout calls for a completely different exhaust system. Can you explain a bit further on the exhaust layout changes.

Stan Reid
8th November 2016, 02:54
Very interesting. I was unaware the front engined dirt cars used the DOHC Indy motor. Am I correct that this would be a very expensive motor for this class of racing. I thought they simply used tuned push rod engines as in many other racing applications,

The front layout calls for a completely different exhaust system. Can you explain a bit further on the exhaust layout changes.

It was expensive but they were also running Offys at the time which weren't cheap either. As I understand it, they just put the left cylinder head on the right bank and vice versa so the exhaust ports were on the down side. I imagine they swapped pistons as well since I doubt that they were symmetrical. I actually saw one race in a Sprint Car on the half mile track at Knoxville, IL with Aldo Andretti (Mario's twin brother) driving. I think most of the front engine development happened after A.J. Foyt took over production of the powerplant.

D28
8th November 2016, 03:38
It was expensive but they were also running Offys at the time which weren't cheap either. As I understand it, they just put the left cylinder head on the right bank and vice versa so the exhaust ports were on the down side. I imagine they swapped pistons as well since I doubt that they were symmetrical. I actually saw one race in a Sprint Car on the half mile track at Knoxville, IL with Aldo Andretti (Mario's twin brother) driving. I think most of the front engine development happened after A.J. Foyt took over production of the powerplant.

Looking at references I note that USAC dropped dirt track races from their championship in 1971. There were many races still run by other sanctioning bodies, but would these tend to feature less sophisticated Ford motors, or did the Indy engines remain popular for some years?

Stan Reid
8th November 2016, 05:00
Looking at references I note that USAC dropped dirt track races from their championship in 1971. There were many races still run by other sanctioning bodies, but would these tend to feature less sophisticated Ford motors, or did the Indy engines remain popular for some years?

I don't know how long they continued to run them in what USAC called Silver Crown cars. About all the cars that run now use the small block Chevy. I don't know if overhead cam engines are even allowed now.

Stan Reid
8th November 2016, 14:39
Here's Big Al Unser on his way to winning the 1975 Springfield 100 Silver Crown race in a car with a Ford Indy engine.

1118Click to enlarge

D28
8th November 2016, 16:53
The first driver constructor to race his own car in a WC F1 event, was Jack Brabham, Brabham-Climax, 1962 German GP. The last would be Emerson Fittipaldi, Fittipaldi-Ford 1980 US GP, Watkins Glen. Other constructors such as Stewart and Prost did not race their cars.
In all probability Fittipaldi will remain the last one.

Stan Reid
9th November 2016, 01:52
First driver to race a 16 cylinder car in the Indianapolis 500: Louis Meyer 1930

Last driver to race a 16 cylinder car in the Indianapolis 500: William "Shorty" Cantlon 1947

{corrections welcome}

Stan Reid
23rd November 2016, 23:03
First American driver to lead in F1/WC points:

Johnnie Parsons with 9 points after the third 1950 event (tied with Nino Farina and Juan Manuel Fangio)

Stan Reid
23rd November 2016, 23:13
First F1/WC event without any supercharged engines:

1952 Swiss Grand Prix

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
23rd November 2016, 23:30
First car to compete in a F1/WC event without spark ignition:

Jimmy Jackson's Kurtis Kraft-Cummins in the 1950 Indianapolis 500-I6 with compression ignition

Last car to compete in a F1/WC event without spark ignition:

Emerson Fittipaldi's Lotus 56B-Pratt & Whitney in the 1971 Italian Grand Prix-Turbine with glow plug ignition

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
24th November 2016, 02:21
First sparkless-1126-click to enlarge

Stan Reid
24th November 2016, 02:23
Last sparkless-1127-click to enlarge

Stan Reid
25th November 2016, 03:00
The first and last Grand Prix cars with a mechanically driven supercharger:

First: Willie Haupt's Chadwick that DNFed in the 1908 American Grand Prix

Last: Didier Pironi's Comprex blown Ferrari 126 CX that practiced for the 1981 U.S. Grand Prix West but did not qualify

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
26th November 2016, 01:38
The first and last engines to win the Indianapolis 500 with a mechanically driven supercharger:

First: A Duesenberg straight-8 codriven by Lora Lawrence Curum and Joe Boyer in the 1924 event

Last: A Sparks straight-6 driven by George Robson in the 1946 race

Stan Reid
26th November 2016, 02:02
The first and last engines to win the Indianapolis 500 with a mechanically driven supercharger:

First: A Duesenberg straight-8 codriven by Lora Lawrence Curum and Joe Boyer in the 1924 event

Last: A Sparks straight-6 driven by George Robson in the 1946 race

I believe that 1924 was also the first year engines with a mechanically driven supercharger competed in the 500. The last year, not counting the turbines of 67 and 68, were some Offenhausers in 1966 with a Roots type supercharger.

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
28th November 2016, 01:54
The first use of fuel injection in a WC event: Six Offenhauser powered cars fitted with Hilborn Fuel Injection and Jimmy Jackson's Cummins Diesel Special in the 1950 Indianapolis 500

The last use of carburetors in a WC event: Ronnie Bucknum's Honda RA271 that finished 13th in the 1964 German Grand Prix

}corrections and additional information welcome{

Stan Reid
3rd December 2016, 02:49
First and last American drivers to finish in the top 10 at the French Grand Prix:

First-George Heath who came in sixth at the 1906 event driving a Panhard

Last-Scott Speed who came in tenth at the 2006 event driving a Toro Rosso/Cosworth

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
6th December 2016, 01:43
First and last Grand Prix cars with both American chassis and engine:

First-Christie chassis with a 20.0 Liter sohc V-4 Christie engine driven by Walter Christie in the 1907 French Grand Prix

Last-Scarab F1 with Troutman-Barnes chassis and a 2.5 Liter dohc I-4 engine designed by Leo Goossen and built by Meyer-Drake-Offenhauser driven by Chuck Daigh in the 1960 U. S. Grand Prix

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
4th January 2017, 01:24

Formula 1 was actually started in 1946 without a defined championship and I believe the first rear engine car to compete in any Formula 1 race including Non-Championship events was a Tatra 602 Tatraplan Sport V8 driven by Bruno Sojka in the 1949 Czech Grand Prix. He finished 9th in a race won by Peter Whitehead in a Ferrari 125.

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
4th January 2017, 02:02
The first multi-lap auto race run on a closed circuit that I can find was a 5 lap (5 mi.) race run on September 7 of 1896 at Providence, Rhode Island. Andrew Riker (some sources say the car was actually driven by C. H. Whiting) won out over a field of 8 cars driving a Riker Electric.

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
4th January 2017, 22:05
Formula 1 was actually started in 1946 without a defined championship and I believe the first rear engine car to compete in any Formula 1 race including Non-Championship events was a Tatra 602 Tatraplan Sport V8 driven by Bruno Sojka in the 1949 Czech Grand Prix. He finished 9th in a race won by Peter Whitehead in a Ferrari 125.

The Tatra was also the first air-cooled V8 to run in a Formula 1 race according to reports.

The last air-cooled V8 in F1 was Honda's RA302 in 1968.

}corrections welcome{

journeyman racer
7th January 2017, 07:17
Some of these aren't bad.

Stan Reid
9th January 2017, 23:56
The first multi-lap auto race run on a closed circuit that I can find was a 5 lap (5 mi.) race run on September 7 of 1896 at Providence, Rhode Island. Andrew Riker (some sources say the car was actually driven by C. H. Whiting) won out over a field of 8 cars driving a Riker Electric.

}corrections welcome{

The starting grid in which only seven hit the track. There were 12 entries but 5 were no shows including, reportedly, at least one steamer.

1167 click to enlarge

Stan Reid
10th January 2017, 00:05
The starting grid in which only seven hit the track. There were 12 entries but 5 were no shows including, reportedly, at least one steamer.

1167 click to enlarge

The results-mostly from American Machinist Vol 19:

1-A. H. Whiting-Riker Electric
2-Henry B. Morris-Morris & Salom Electrobat
3-William McCall-Duryea Motor Wagon
4-J. J. Rynne-Duryea Motor Wagon
5-E. B. Mekins-Duryea Motor Wagon
6-J. Frank Duryea-Duryea Special
7-Warren Root-Duryea Motor Wagon

D28
11th January 2017, 21:03
The last man to design a complete F1 car was Mauro Forghieri at Ferrari. I believe the 126C could be the last model, but I stand to be corrected on this.

Stan Reid
17th January 2017, 00:53
The last straight-8 to compete in a F1 race:

A Gordini T32 driven by Hermanos da Silva Ramos that placed 6th in the non-Championship 1957 Pau Grand Prix

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
17th January 2017, 00:58
The last straight-8s to compete in a F1 WC event:

A pair of Gordini Type-32s driven by Hermanos da Silva Ramos and Robert Manzon that DNFed in the 1956 Italian Grand Prix-Manzon being the last one running

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
17th January 2017, 01:23
The first straight-8s to compete in a F1 WC event:

Four Alfa Romeo 158s that ran in the 1950 British Grand Prix finishing 1-4 driven in order by Juan Manuel Fangio, Giuseppe Farina, Luigi Fagioli and Reg Parnell

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
17th January 2017, 01:39
The first V-8s to compete in a WC event:

Two Kurtis Kraft Novis that DNFed in the 1951 Indianapolis 500 driven by Duke Nalon and Chet Miller

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
17th January 2017, 01:49
The first V-8 to compete in a WC GP event:

An AFM-Kuchen that DNFed in the 1952 Swiss Grand Prix driven by Hans Stuck

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
17th January 2017, 12:18
The first V-8 Formula 1 cars to compete in a WC F1 GP event:

A pair of Lancia D50s that DNFed in the 1954 Spanish Grand Prix driven by Alberto Ascari and Luigi Villoresi

}corrections welcome{

D-Type
17th January 2017, 21:49
First "Boxer" engine to start in a F1 GP - the twin cylinder supercharged DB-Panhards driven by Claude Store3z and Paul Armagnac in the 1955 Pau GP

Stan Reid
17th January 2017, 23:14
The last straight-8 to compete in a F1 race:

A Gordini T32 driven by Hermanos da Silva Ramos that placed 6th in the non-Championship 1957 Pau Grand Prix

}corrections welcome{

I believe Ferrari had a transverse mounted air cooled staight-8 F1 car on the drawing boards in the 1960s but it was never raced or, to my knowledge, even built. If true, I suppose that was the last time this engine layout was even considered in F1.

Stan Reid
18th January 2017, 21:31
The first and, so far, last Formula One engine to operate at a speed greater than 25,000 rpm (gear reduced before output shaft):

The Pratt & Whitney STN 6/76 turbine in the 1971 Lotus 56B

Stan Reid
18th January 2017, 21:55
First major multi-lap motor race held on a closed course and thus the first proto-Grand Prix:

The 6 lap (run anti-clockwise) (318 mile) Circuit des Ardennes race run at Bastogne, Belgium in 1902.

1st-Charles Jarrott in a Panhard 70 at 5h53m39.6s
2nd-Fernand Gabriel in a Mors Z
3rd-William K. Vanderbilt in a Mors Z
4th-Count Eliot Zborowski in a Mercedes

Stan Reid
18th January 2017, 22:22
First major (or perhaps any) motor race held on a figure-8 course:

The Gordon Bennett Cup Race held at Athy, Ireland in 1903.

1st-Camille Jenatzy in a Mercedes at 6:39:00
2nd-Rene de Knyff in a Panhard
3rd-Henry Farman in a Panhard
4th-Fernand Gabriel in a Mors

}corrections welcome{

D-Type
18th January 2017, 23:11
The Athy circuit wasn't really a figure of 8. There were two loops with a common section about 20km long. The 1st, 3rd and 5th claps were on the shorter clockwise 65 km loop while the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th laps were on the longer anti-clockwise 83km loop. Remember this was in Ireland ....!
See a map here http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/athy.html

In some years the Mille Miglia ran on a figure of 8 route passing through Bologna twice, but not actually crossing.

Stan Reid
19th January 2017, 01:18
Perhaps the first major multi-lap motor race held on a closed course running only in a clockwise direction:

The 10 lap Vanderbilt Cup Race run on Long Island in 1904.

1st-George Heath in a Panhard 70 at 5h26m45s
2nd-Albert Clement in a Clement-Bayard
3rd-Herbert Lyttle in a Pope Toledo
4th-Charles Schmidt in a Packard

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
19th January 2017, 20:19
The last time Formula 1 cars raced on banking greater than 10 degrees in a WC evnt:

1961 Italian Grand Prix won by Phil Hill in a Ferrari.

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
19th January 2017, 22:15
The last time a Formula 1 race was won by a front engine car (excluding vintage car events) was the non-Championship International Gold Cup at Oulton Park in 1961. Stirling Moss in the AWD Ferguson P99-Climax crossed the finish line first, 46 seconds ahead of Jack Brabham in a Cooper-Climax.

D28
20th January 2017, 00:08
The last time Formula 1 cars raced on banking greater than 10 degrees in a WC evnt:

}corrections welcome{

He also won the last F1 WC race for a front engined car at the 1960 Italian GP. Hill always ran well at Monza winning 2 of his 3 WC GPs there.

D-Type
20th January 2017, 09:27

}corrections welcome{

In case people get confused, in the fictional film "Grand Prix" which was set in 1966 the Italian GP included the banking. Hence you can find photos of 1966 cars on the banking.

D28
20th January 2017, 14:20
In case people get confused, in the fictional film "Grand Prix" which was set in 1966 the Italian GP included the banking. Hence you can find photos of 1966 cars on the banking.

These 66 cars would be the made up F3 ones used to simulate F1 cars for the film. Real F1 footage was shot and used in the film, but not from the Monza banking.

Stan Reid
20th January 2017, 19:21
The first time Championship (AAA/USAC/Indy) Cars (excluding preliminary trials the same day) raced on a track with turns banked at least 30 degrees was the 100 mile event run at the Los Angeles Motordrome on April 8 of 1910. Ray Harroun came in first driving a Marmon.

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
20th January 2017, 20:21
The last time Championship (AAA/USAC/Indy) Cars raced on a track with turns banked at least 30 degrees was the 100 mile event run at the Daytona International Speedway on April 4 of 1959. Jim Rathman came in first driving a Watson-Offenhauser. Driver George Amick crashed and died in the event and Marshall Teague was killed earlier testing an Indy car at the track.

}corrections welcome{

D-Type
21st January 2017, 00:03
How steep is the banking at Las Vegas where Dan Wheldon was killed?

Tazio
21st January 2017, 00:52
Multi-car cluster-F#$%
Oval course racing at that level is insane.
Thirty some cars on that course.....yikes!

Stan Reid
21st January 2017, 01:02
How steep is the banking at Las Vegas where Dan Wheldon was killed?

According to Wiki-20 degrees

Stan Reid
21st January 2017, 13:06
The last time more than 33 cars started in an Indy/Champ Car event:

Las Vegas 2011. R.I.P. Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsataYtOJfs

Stan Reid
21st January 2017, 21:32
Last fatality in an Indy/Champ Car race: Justin Wilson Pocono 500 2015. R.I.P. Justin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6S3X3g_MyI

Stan Reid
25th January 2017, 22:06
Of note relating to the Rolex 24 Hour Race at Daytona for which practice begins tomorrow and is the first major race of the year at least in the Northern Hemisphere--The first 24 hour automobile race:

The Columbus, Ohio 24 Hour in 1905. Coming in first were brothers George and Charles Soules who covered 828.5 miles in a Pope-Toledo.

Stan Reid
29th January 2017, 23:16
First and last times AAA/USAC Championship/Silver Crown/Indy Cars competed at the Darlington Speedway--

First: 1950 when Johnnie Parsons won the 200 miles event driving a Russo-Nichels/Offenhauser

Last: 2007 when Aaron Pierce won the 68 (green flag) miles event driving a Beast/Chevrolet

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
8th February 2017, 23:40
First and last World Drivers Championship race with more than 33 starters:

1953 German Grand Prix with 34

Stan Reid
8th February 2017, 23:56
First Grand Prix WC race with fewer than 15 starters:

1950 Belgian Grand Prix with 14

Last Grand Prix WC race with fewer than 15 starters:

2005 U.S. Grand Prix with 6

Stan Reid
9th February 2017, 00:10
The last time more than 34 cars qualified in an Indy Car race:

1997 Indianapolis 500 with 35

Stan Reid
23rd February 2017, 01:17
First major race won by a rear (mid) engined racing car:

The 1934 German Grand Prix won by Hans Stuck in an Auto Union Type-A

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
23rd February 2017, 02:21
Last Indianapolis 500 with fewer than 33 starters:

1947 with 30

Stan Reid
25th February 2017, 14:53
The first AWD single rear engined racing car to start in a major event:

The Gulf Miller 6 cylinder driven by George Bailey in the 1939 Indianapolis 500

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
30th March 2017, 01:26
It looks like the first AWD racing car entered in a WC/F1 event was a Gulf-Miller entered in the 1950 Indianapolis 500. The car was run in practice by driver Al Miller but did not qualify.

}corrections welcome{

Stan Reid
10th August 2017, 02:28
First Layover engine roadster to race in the Indianapolis 500: The Cummins Diesel Special driven by Fred Agabashian in 1952

Last layover engine roadster to race in the Indianapolis 500: The Arizona Apache Airlines Special drive by Bill Cheesbourg in 1964

}corrections welcome{

kerry3200
28th April 2020, 11:22
I think that, Jimmy Jackson's car in 1950 had a roots supercharger and Freddie Agabashian's mount in 1952 was turbocharged-the first tubocharged racing car!

Fortitude
9th January 2022, 08:58
Last driver (hopefully) to be killed leading a World Championship race: Ayrton Senna-1994 San Marino Grand Prix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCZIMwtooR4

I hope so too. Gives me the 'chills' watching it. A very sombre book to read about it, is 'Fatal Weekend' by Tom Rubython.