PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the NBC's F1 crew pronounce Kvyat's name correctly?

zako85
30th August 2015, 08:30
It's not spelled K-fee-at, or is it?

james hunt
31st August 2015, 19:10
Try watching the Hispanic channel, UNI-MAS, they have Milka Dunno as a commentator and virtually no commercial interruptions during the race! Some things which might be learned by they neanderthal bosses at American broadcasting channels!

N4D13
3rd September 2015, 10:00
I think the only thing to be learned from any broadcast with Milka Duno is how to scare your viewers away.

zako85
3rd September 2015, 16:09
Try watching the Hispanic channel, UNI-MAS, they have Milka Dunno as a commentator and virtually no commercial interruptions during the race! Some things which might be learned by they neanderthal bosses at American broadcasting channels!

I am in USA, and for the last F1 season I have been indeed mostly watching Univision Deportes. It's in Spanish (which I understand), but they do not interrupt the programming during the race any time. And they also have a fairly knowledgeable female F1 reporter. Kudos to Univision Deportes. Amazing channel!

A FONDO
6th September 2015, 08:11
It should be easier if they try saying Vyat 10 times and then add a semi-silent K at the beginning

Jag_Warrior
6th September 2015, 22:00
A buddy of mine just calls him "KGB" and is done with it. I don't know the proper pronunciation either.

Nem14
7th September 2015, 00:37
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniil_Kvyat

[dənʲɪˈil vʲɪtɕɪˈslavəvʲɪtɕ kvʲat]

Tazio
7th September 2015, 00:58
I am in USA, and for the last F1 season I have been indeed mostly watching Univision Deportes. It's in Spanish (which I understand), but they do not interrupt the programming during the race any time. And they also have a fairly knowledgeable female F1 reporter. Kudos to Univision Deportes. Amazing channel!
:dork: I'm with this post. Lived it :dozey:

Roamy
17th September 2015, 09:29
well we are not commies and probably don't give a sh!t until he is winning. but maybe david hobbs can square us away

AndyL
17th September 2015, 11:22
A while ago I was reading somewhere about how people often have particular difficulty with pronouncing unfamiliar or uncommon consonant clusters, like the kv in Kvyat. There's something about it that's problematic for many people, and they find they have to put an extraneous vowel in there to work around it ("kivyat"). I was reminded of it the other day by a documentary about the Ordnance Survey, which the voice-over woman continually pronounced as "ordinance survey". The classic Homer Simpson/GW Bush "nucular" is another example I think.

Mekola
17th September 2015, 12:09
There are usually problems not only with pronunciation, but also in spelling. I saw many people misspelling the name "Kyvat"...