PDA

View Full Version : Jenson Button to Top Gear - Rumour Mill in overdrive

Rollo
30th July 2015, 08:36
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11769817/Is-Jenson-Button-about-to-join-Top-Gear.html
The Formula One driver is said to be in talks with Chris Evans about co-presenting the new show, which launches next year.
A source told the Daily Mail: "An announcement is imminent."
- The Torygraph, 29th Jul 2015

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-jenson-button-reportedly-joining-chris-evans-as-replacement-host-10423959.html
A source apparently told the Daily Mail that ‘An announcement is imminent’ from the BBC. The 35-year-old has previously appeared on the show twice and is reportedly friends with Chris Evans.
- The Undiependant, 29th Jul 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3178072/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-F1-Jenson-Button-tipped-Gear-job.html
Formula One playboy Jenson Button may have brushed off talk of retirement, but he could be about to accelerate into a new career.
I hear the 35-year-old driver is in talks with the BBC about co-presenting Top Gear with Chris Evans, who’s also known for a hard-partying past.
‘An announcement is imminent,’ claims one source.
- Daily Fail, 29th Jul 2015

Granted that all news outlets seem to be citing the Daily Fail but where there's smoke there's a Honda engine, no?

We know that The One Show's Chris Evans is already slated to host and if Button comes on board then that only leaves one spot.
I hope that it's me because unlike all the other hopefuls who entered, I actually do exude coolness - either that or my pen is leaking.

Button to Top Gear would leave his spot at McLaren up for grabs... if anyone wants it.

schmenke
31st July 2015, 15:38
Top Gear will be Flop Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May.

steveaki13
3rd August 2015, 08:04
Meanwhile the old gang have signed with Amazon Prime

Mark
3rd August 2015, 13:29
It's interesting. Perhaps they are looking to shake thing up a bit, and perhaps dropping 'The Stig' character, and replacing him with Jenson Button driving the power laps?

Rollo
3rd August 2015, 14:38
and perhaps dropping 'The Stig' character

What do you mean "character"? He's real.

David Murphy
3rd August 2015, 15:40
hopefully he will get, it will make more interesting

AndyL
3rd August 2015, 16:55
It's interesting. Perhaps they are looking to shake thing up a bit, and perhaps dropping 'The Stig' character, and replacing him with Jenson Button driving the power laps?

With Chris Evans on board I'm sure they will shake things up a lot. He's going to want to take things in his own direction, which is no bad thing. Doing the old formula with new presenters is unlikely to lead to great success.

Apparently Evans read out the Daily Mail story about Button on his radio show. Not quite sure what that means, but my guess is it's not true. If the Mail had really got an inside line on secret negotiations, I don't think he would have read it out. More likely either the Mail made it up, or someone planted the story to generate "buzz" for the new show.

Rollo
4th August 2015, 01:33
Top Gear will be Flop Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Or without Noel Edmonds, William Woollard, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Quentin Willson, Tiff Needell...

The first incarnation lasted 23 years. Provided the producers let the show settle, it'll be fine. On Top Gear Mk2, no-one even remembers Jason Dawe.

f1kid1987
19th August 2015, 17:48
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33993734

Might be going sooner than you think :(

anfield5
20th August 2015, 01:08
Or without Noel Edmonds, William Woollard, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Quentin Willson, Tiff Needell...

The first incarnation lasted 23 years. Provided the producers let the show settle, it'll be fine. On Top Gear Mk2, no-one even remembers Jason Dawe.

Pre James May - Jason Dawe was a rather boring journo who didn't settle well with Clarkson and Hamster, he wanted to be too serious and was a ratings flop, so he was replaced after series 1 of Top Gear MK2. From all reports James May was always first choice, but he was unsure of the revamped format. After Series one and with Dawe floundering, James May was an easy fit

Mark
20th August 2015, 09:40
I don't even remember Dawe from when it started although I know I watched all the episodes

I recently watched some of them back on youtube and Dawe's expertise was with the second hand car market and getting a good deal etc. which coming from the old Top Gear that sort of thing would seem to be sensible. But I guess they realised that Top Gear wasn't about consumer advice.