PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton hailed sport’s best-ever world champion by Bernie Ecclestone

CNR
12th June 2015, 05:09
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/formula-one/formula-1-2015-lewis-hamilton-hailed-sports-best-ever-world-champion-by-bernie-ecclestone/story-e6frf3zl-1227392567179

"
FORMULA 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone (demented old fart) has hailed Lewis Hamilton as the “best world champion we’ve had”.

The F1 supremo has repeatedly hailed Hamilton for his ‘box office’ presence. Last month, Ecclestone praised the Englishman for being a “super promoter of the sport” while contrasting his global appeal with the relatively limited fanbase of his closest championship rivals, Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel.
"

Big Ben
12th June 2015, 14:46
yeah... right :rolleyes:

journeyman racer
12th June 2015, 16:52
He appeals to all the lame arse fans.

AAReagles
12th June 2015, 21:47
I'd (really) like to see how he'd rate Kimi Raikkonen right now, after the former champion freshly stated how boring F1 is.

Mekola
14th June 2015, 02:20
But Lewis has still to do in his motorsport career... We still didn't see the complete capabilities of him. Despite is a proud champion, of course.

kfzmeister
14th June 2015, 04:42
FORMULA 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone (demented old fart) has hailed Lewis Hamilton as the “best world champion we’ve had”.

Let's not jump to conclusions and suggest that he meant EVER!
HAM is currently a great draw for F1. I don't have a problem with that! It's not like VET is selling out F1 in Germany!!

Rollo
14th June 2015, 09:51
Let's not jump to conclusions and suggest that he meant EVER!

How else does the statement read though?

Logically the "best world champion we’ve had” was Jochen Rindt. He was so good that he didn't even need to be alive to win the title.

AAReagles
14th June 2015, 11:30
How else does the statement read though?

Logically the "best world champion we’ve had” was Jochen Rindt. He was so good that he didn't even need to be alive to win the title.

Well said. :up:

Bernie's logic may be based on his evaluation of Hitler's achievents; in that Hamilton 'gets things done.'

zako85
14th June 2015, 13:41
Lewis Hamilton likes being in public, and likes receiving attention from the media, often being seen together with various celebrities. By translation, he also ends up with a larger fan base than Vettel or Rosberg. In this sense, yes he is great for F1 because he is a great ambassador of the sport. Having said that, Hamilton is certainly a top tier driver in F1 racing, and who knows how many more records he will demolish in future.

AAReagles
14th June 2015, 13:55
Coming from you, the race fan? Yeah that has some weight.

Coming from Bernie? ... not so much.

easy rider
14th June 2015, 20:03
He appeals to all the lame arse fans.

There sure are alot of them in Canada

steveaki13
14th June 2015, 23:09
I think its stupid to label anyone the best world champion ever.

Pointless and meaningless

anfield5
15th June 2015, 00:25
Hamiltwat must feel good, being praised by a raving loonatic. Or has Eccles mind finally given up, maybe he can no longer remember back as far as 2000-2004, or back into the dim dark past of Senna and Prost

henners88
15th June 2015, 07:32
I don't agree with Bernie's observation. I love Hamiltons driving and think he's the most exciting driver to watch of the last 20 years, but away from the circuit I can't help but cringe at some of the publicity he invites! Look at his Instagram if you want to see how seriously he takes himself of late lol. I think to be a great champion you need to have everything from a cool personality to delivering on track. Lewis only fulfils the latter half of the deal for me.

journeyman racer
15th June 2015, 09:29
"Yeah. I think you're the best ever F1 commercial rights holder, Bernie"

journeyman racer
15th June 2015, 09:41
Hamiltwat must feel good, being praised by a raving loonatic. Or has Eccles mind finally given up, maybe he can no longer remember back as far as 2000-2004, or back into the dim dark past of Senna and Prost
Michael Schumacher was an impediment to F1/motorsport popularity.

kfzmeister
15th June 2015, 16:52
That was exactly my point. The OP suggests that Bernie said HAM was the best ever, when all he (Eccles) really suggests is the Mercedes Champ is good for his business with his flashiness!

No need to rehash the Who's the Best ever!

The Black Knight
15th June 2015, 18:03
I love Hamilton's driving style and certainly from a publicity perspective he is great for F1, getting out there with celebrities. People note him and know him so he publicizes F1 and this is why Bernie loves him. But, as mentioned above, some of his Instragram and twitter posts are just cringe worthy. He's not rock and roll but he's one of the best drivers to ever sit inside a F1 cockpit.

I still can't think of a more popular driver than Michael Schumacher. Even people who have no interest in F1 know his name. He's simply the best ever. Hammy has a long way to go before he can top that great man.

N. Jones
17th June 2015, 20:22
To Bernie, best ever = most marketable.