PDA

View Full Version : Donkey(s) of the Race

veeten
7th June 2015, 21:41
Eee-Hawwww,... Eee-Hawwww...

Cast your entrants, folks. But, you know where mine is headed.

Looking dead at you, Mr Denis...:mad:

N4D13
7th June 2015, 21:42
McLaren by a country mile, for obvious reasons.

Grosjean also gets a honorary mention. I also feel tempted to say Huelkenberg for his spin and then rejoining the track blindly; and maybe Ricciardo, who has been nowhere today.

Edit: forgot about Kimi's spin! Not a donkey, but deserves a mention.

dj_bytedisaster
7th June 2015, 21:44
Grosjean. That was a simple selection. One could be tempted to say McLaren-Honda, but they have donkey of the season clinched that thoroughly already, they are hors de combat...

A FONDO
7th June 2015, 21:46
Several guys did easy mistakes today, but no complete donkeys for me.

gm99
7th June 2015, 22:04
Grosjean - back to his 2012 form...

truefan72
7th June 2015, 22:05
grosjean

then mclaren team

then the bloody marshals for all those wrong blue flags they kept waving

longisland
7th June 2015, 22:07
Mclaren. They should be challenging for points by now. Instead, Button didn't even qualify & Alonso barely scraped through Q1. The double DNF just added salt on to the wound.
Kimi was supposed to challenge the 2 Mercs when Seb was out of position. His team mate finished 1 spot behind him despite starting from 18 with a delayed pit stop says it all.
I'm disappointed with Rosberg's approach. He's asking his crew on Lewis again. It's not easy to reduce the gap when there's little separating the two in same machinery & same tire strategy. But if Nico wants to challenge the driver's title, he should just take his gloves off & launch a full assault on Lewis to force an error rather than allowing Lewis to coast to the chequered flag.

Mia 01
7th June 2015, 22:09
Grosjean.

rjbetty
7th June 2015, 22:15
PODIUM

1.Grosjean - shouted that Will Stevens "Hit M!"

2.Yeah McLaren - hours after giving them a vote of confidence for 5th in trhe WCC they do this. Nowhere on pace and double DNF :(

3.Ricciardo - unless there's unknown issues, 13th was a bit poor... :(

dj_bytedisaster
7th June 2015, 22:17
PODIUM

3.Ricciardo - unless there's unknown issues, 13th was a bit poor... :(

Maybe he's just not as good as people make him out to be when the car doesn't fit his liking, like, lets say, happened to his team mate last year? ;)

rjbetty
7th June 2015, 22:28
Maybe he's just not as good as people make him out to be when the car doesn't fit his liking, like, lets say, happened to his team mate last year? ;)

Don't you know that Dan has a cracked chassis and has been abandoned by his team? :D

donKey jote
7th June 2015, 22:33
Me again, for sitting through the whole procession :dozey:

steveaki13
7th June 2015, 23:10

I think its clear to see that Vettel would not even beat the Manors in this car

steveaki13
7th June 2015, 23:12
1. Grosjean - As we saw, pulling straight back in on Stevens was a brainless move.

2. Mclaren - Terrible car again and retired, plus having to save so much fuel while being so slow......

3. Marshalls/system. - Blue flags being waved at everyone

truefan72
8th June 2015, 00:35
honrable mention to rosberg with what has now become his traditional weekly foot in the mouth comment

"Qualifying cost me the victory"
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/13031482/nico-rosberg-qualifying-cost-victory

laughable

dj_bytedisaster
8th June 2015, 00:55

It's not so laughable with Mercedes. They stage-manage the races. For instance the one in front gets the undercut on pitstops. That's a huge advantage if you only have one car to compete with, so among these two the pole position is important. The race effectively happens on Saturday as we saw today there's not much between them. Were they even more than 3 seconds apart at any time? In such a close battle having the undercut is a huge advantage, and that's decided by qualifying position as they are pretty similar on starting ability so there is little chance for position change into turn one.

Face it, Rosberg is not Jean-Denis Deletraz and Lewis is not god. Without the most ridiculously superior car since 1988 he would still sit at one world championship. He only had to beat one guy.

N. Jones
8th June 2015, 02:11
McLaren. When they are bad they are BAD! Not My Earth Dreams BAD, but close.

anfield5
8th June 2015, 02:32
MCLAREN!!!!!. The McPile of McCrap they have is not funny anymore. How can they be so McSlow, and yet so McThirsty.

HONDA for putting McLaren in this position.

They are going to have a job convincing Alonso to stay next year unless they can show some iota of actual progress.

rjbetty
8th June 2015, 03:11
It's not so laughable with Mercedes. They stage-manage the races. For instance the one in front gets the undercut on pitstops. That's a huge advantage if you only have one car to compete with, so among these two the pole position is important. The race effectively happens on Saturday as we saw today there's not much between them. Were they even more than 3 seconds apart at any time? In such a close battle having the undercut is a huge advantage, and that's decided by qualifying position as they are pretty similar on starting ability so there is little chance for position change into turn one.

Face it, Rosberg is not Jean-Denis Deletraz and Lewis is not god. Without the most ridiculously superior car since 1988 he would still sit at one world championship. He only had to beat one guy.

Oh no not this crazy talk again about how Lewis can only beat Nico when Nico is sabptaged. NURSE!

Rosberg got the undercut more than once this season, despite being behind Lewis.

Nico did only get in DRS once all race, when Lewis got caught in traffic. He immediately pulled out several tenths anytime and everytime he needed to.

But keep clinging on to any shred you can

I agree that Nico is no Deletraz. Actually, he isn't an over the hill Mark Webber (who really ws held back by his team) either. Lewis has also taken on and matched/beaten Alonso. Hamilton must be somewhere close to Sebby on talent! :D

Mekola
8th June 2015, 03:16
McLaren. And mention to the innocent squirrel, which fortunately saved its life.

rjbetty
8th June 2015, 03:24
honrable mention to rosberg with what has now become his traditional weekly foot in the mouth comment

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/13031482/nico-rosberg-qualifying-cost-victory

laughable

I understand where he';s coming from. I mean, like dj he has to cling for dearl life onto anything he can, and shut his eyes and ears to anything like Lewis always pulling out a gap of tenths whenever needed, like the one time Nico got within DRS range because Hamilton got traffic.

Lewis was probably in some degree of control. I mean he didn't cut the chicane (thus getting out of DRS range) or anything. So he didn't look that much under pressure.

Not bad seeing Lewis lost practice time, which dj can tell you is an enormous disadvantage.

truefan72
8th June 2015, 03:49
Oh no not this crazy talk again about how Lewis can only beat Nico when Nico is sabptaged. NURSE!

Rosberg got the undercut more than once this season, despite being behind Lewis.

Nico did only get in DRS once all race, when Lewis got caught in traffic. He immediately pulled out several tenths anytime and everytime he needed to.

But keep clinging on to any shred you can

I agree that Nico is no Deletraz. Actually, he isn't an over the hill Mark Webber (who really ws held back by his team) either. Lewis has also taken on and matched/beaten Alonso. Hamilton must be somewhere close to Sebby on talent! :D

I'll add to that this:
If Hamilton was 1 second behind Rosberg, can one honestly say that Hamilton would not have closed up attempted a pass and/or even passed Rosberg?
Hamilton has closed up and passed Rosberg on several occasions, that cannot be said the other way around. For Hamilton, starting 2nd behind Rosberg in any race is no big deal for him (except monaco)
He will eventually catch up and pass or try to pass. Rosberg in the meanwhile, thinks starting 2nd in Canada is about as good as finished for him, despite 1 really long drs zone and a 2nd one that still provides overtaking opportunities.

N. Jones
8th June 2015, 04:49
I think that was a beaver...

Big Ben
8th June 2015, 08:27

maybe he's not that good indeed. makes you think just how bad that team mate he beat last year actually was.

Storm
8th June 2015, 08:29
Grosjean - back to his 2012 form...

haha and just after he criticized Verstappen so much ;)

journeyman racer
8th June 2015, 14:02

I think its clear to see that Vettel would not even beat the Manors in this car

maybe he's not that good indeed. makes you think just how bad that team mate he beat last year actually was.
A couple of good beat downs from steve and Ben methinks.

journeyman racer
8th June 2015, 14:06

laughable
Who cares?

I'll add to that this:
If Hamilton was 1 second behind Rosberg, can one honestly say that Hamilton would not have closed up attempted a pass and/or even passed Rosberg?
Hamilton has closed up and passed Rosberg on several occasions, that cannot be said the other way around. For Hamilton, starting 2nd behind Rosberg in any race is no big deal for him (except monaco)
He will eventually catch up and pass or try to pass. Rosberg in the meanwhile, thinks starting 2nd in Canada is about as good as finished for him, despite 1 really long drs zone and a 2nd one that still provides overtaking opportunities.
Can you stop living your life through Lewis Hamilton.

Bagwan
8th June 2015, 15:55
I think that was a beaver...

Ground hog(earth pig to some) , or woodchuck .
Furry tail , not flat and leathery like a beaver's .

A no good , hole diggin' , leg breakin' , road kill rodent , he was .
Certainly not our regal , industrious , animal friend , and symbol of our country , the majestic Canadian beaver .

Some say the French Canadian beaver is the finest in the world .
To find one that wants to be that close to racing is rare .

Bagwan
8th June 2015, 16:15
Both Lewis and Nico were managing brakes and fuel towards the end .
The Mercs seem to have trouble following each other closely .
Whoever is behind stays there .
So , he's right , to a degree .
When he was interviewed right before the race , he said he'd need a safety car or a Lewis mistake if he didn't get it done at the first corner .

Both cars are fast , and faster by some margin than the others .
That leaves me wondering why they run so close to the line on the brakes .

And that leads me to wonder two things .
Is this a subtle way to manage the drivers ?

And , were the brakes really that hot on either car in the final stages ?

The fuel thing drives me crazy . Dump the fuel regulation punishing those who want to drive full-out .

Teams will still be punished for being inefficient , as they will need to carry more , so what is the need for such a rule ?
If they want to laud those who are most efficient , give them an award for it each race , or at the end of the year , for getting the most laps for the least amount of fuel .
But , keep it out of the race at the front .

Jag_Warrior
8th June 2015, 18:50
McLaren-Honda. This is not the same combo that powered Senna and Prost to F1 championships. It's not even the same Honda that dominated CART in the mid 90's and powered the likes of Zanardi, Montoya and others to championships. It really seems like the sporting spirit left Honda at the end of the 20th century. That dud Honda that powers that dud McLaren seems more like something that a suburban soccer mom would have in her minivan. Sad. Very sad.

Jag_Warrior
8th June 2015, 18:57
I'll add to that this:

I think Rosberg just lacks that natural killer instinct that all truly great drivers have. He's not a chump and he is very talented. But he just doesn't possess that (needed) instinct.

anfield5
9th June 2015, 00:22
I think Rosberg just lacks that natural killer instinct that all truly great drivers have. He's not a chump and he is very talented. But he just doesn't possess that (needed) instinct.

Quite correct. The strange thing his his father had the killer instinct, but lacked the pure talent that Nico has. Keke was one of the hardest drivers ever to race in F1 and much of his success was down to his attitude. (I am not saying for an instant that Keke was talent free, far from it)

Big Ben
9th June 2015, 09:30
I'd say McLaren Honda. The rules are really stupid with almost no testing allowed but even so, they were really really bad. I'm already planning what to do with my $1000

donKey jote
9th June 2015, 19:13
Kimi :devil:

jens
10th June 2015, 13:57
I'd say McLaren Honda. The rules are really stupid with almost no testing allowed but even so, they were really really bad. I'm already planning what to do with my $1000

McLaren-Honda is the donkey of the season, so I am not really bothered to vote them for individual races any more.

At least among drives Maldonado did good this time to avoid HIS traditional donkey tag...

So the donkey goes to... Yeah, his team-mate. Romain Grosjean. What the hell, man. The two Lotus guys swapped roles for this event. Going back to his old style and potentially losing 5th, 6th or 7th place. Hard to say, I think Vettel would have passed him, maybe Massa too, but he was ahead of Maldonado at that moment.