PDA

View Full Version : Indy trivia question: last F1 winner to go on to win the Indy 500?

Jag_Warrior
25th May 2015, 00:34
:confused:

Emmo?

Starter
25th May 2015, 03:17
Yes, he is both the last driver who won first in F1 and then Indy. He is also the last F1 champion to win the title and also later win Indy.

Now, who is the last driver to win Indy and then become F1 champion?

Jag_Warrior
25th May 2015, 03:44
Oh man, I got this one! Eddie Cheever! Too easy.

As an old CART fan and veteran of the forum wars, the winner of the "last" Indy 500: Jacques Vlleneuve.

FormerFF
25th May 2015, 05:41
Yes, he is both the last driver who won first in F1 and then Indy. He is also the last F1 champion to win the title and also later win Indy.

Mario's the only one that comes to mind. Indy winner 1969, F1 champ 1978.

Mekola
25th May 2015, 15:39

You forgot Jacques Villeneuve, Indy 500 Winner in 1995 and F1 World Champion in 1997.

Starter
25th May 2015, 18:16
Oh man, I got this one! Eddie Cheever! Too easy.

As an old CART fan and veteran of the forum wars, the winner of the "last" Indy 500: Jacques Vlleneuve.
Correct.

Now, for extra credit, name all Indy 500 winners who also won in F1.

Jag_Warrior
26th May 2015, 19:29
Before, after or either way? This one I'll probably miss, if I do it the honest way without help. I'll give it a shot though: Jim Clarke, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jacques Villeneuve and Juan Pablo Montoya. I want to say Mark Donohue, but I can't remember if he ever won an F1 race.

Starter
26th May 2015, 20:15
Not bad. You only missed a few. Graham Hill was another Indy winner.

The others you missed were Bill Vukovich, Tony Ruttman, Pat Flaherty, Sam Hanks, Jimmy Bryan , Roger Ward and Jim Rathman. It was kind of a trick question. The last drivers named were Indy winners when Indy counted for the world championship, so they won in both categories.

Mintexmemory
26th May 2015, 20:29

The others you missed were Bill Vukovich, Tony Ruttman, Pat Flaherty, Sam Hanks, Jimmy Bryan , Roger Ward and Jim Rathman. It was kind of a trick question. The last drivers named were Indy winners when Indy counted for the world championship, so they won in both categories.

No Starter, they won in the WC round run for Indycars but not F1 which was a different spec! So back to your original question it should be 'also won a round of the WDC' not a win in F1 (#pedantic smartarse)

Starter
27th May 2015, 04:49
No Starter, they won in the WC round run for Indycars but not F1 which was a different spec! So back to your original question it should be 'also won a round of the WDC' not a win in F1 (#pedantic smartarse)
You are correct. Though since WDC was/is essentially F1 then "#pedantic smartarse" does apply. :D And as a PS myself I instantly recognized it.

Jag_Warrior
27th May 2015, 11:08

I should have gotten Graham Hill. Darn it!

As for the others... well played, sir. Well played.

AAReagles
29th May 2015, 02:41

Well with PS rules in place, and with same spec being noted; I'm gonna throw in Jimmy Murphy w/his Duesenberg.

- 1921 French GP

- 1922 Indianapolis 500

Same car, same specs. Hope that works. Yeah I know... still not F1 :blackeye: